• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I'm a bit confused. So when you dodge you are invincible?

Is it like other mmos of when you see the attack animation the dices have already been rolled?

Arksy

so would people recommend this game to an old school wow player? found every expansion after tbc to be horrible, and i have not found a mmo worth playing after that..

every mmo after wow-tbc just seems to try to catch people with eye candy, girls in skimpy clothes and bubble gum. i just want an mmo with real art design, not just pretty girls. and a good pve and pvp system. a big part that made me quit wow was that i felt blizzard just turned lazy, rehearsing old instances and never really came with something new or something to work and look forward to. the pvp system in wow was dead for me when they started with arena.

this game seems pretty interesting tho.. might just get it to morrow. but if there would be any old wow players here, how would this compare?

Yes. I would definitely recommend. The art design in GW2 is nothing short of phenomenal. The hearts and events are sufficiently varied and the combat system is varied and stays fun and fresh for hours on end. There is an Arena type system in game but it is as if it forms a completely different game. You are boosted up to 80 and none of the gear you use in PVE can be used there and vice-versa. There is a proper BG style PvP system as well and that is truly incredible. It's like old-skool AV but 10 million times better.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Even if you dodge forward into the mob?
As a thief, allow me to answer this question with the same expression I use when doing so: fuck yeah.

On a related note whoever came up with the caltrops on dodge trait is a true gentleman or lady and I should like to present them with a gift of rich chocolate.

Amish

Neo Member
I played WoW for all of 10 minutes.. but if you appreciate the mertis of art design Guild Wars 2 will reward you constantly. There are two totally different kinds of PvP; both are available as soon as you complete the tutorial.

Coming from an old school WoW player who agrees with everything you said: Yes! I highly recommend this game! Everything about GW2 is nothing short of amazing.

Yes. I would definitely recommend. The art design in GW2 is nothing short of phenomenal. The hearts and events are sufficiently varied and the combat system is varied and stays fun and fresh for hours on end. There is an Arena type system in game but it is as if it forms a completely different game. You are boosted up to 80 and none of the gear you use in PVE can be used there and vice-versa. There is a proper BG style PvP system as well and that is truly incredible. It's like old-skool AV but 10 million times better.

old school AV was fun and all, but hopefully the rounds wont last as long.. Seriously, i sat for 5 hours once before we finally killed that poor dwarf :p

guess i need to check it out.. cant just sit here wondering if it would be fun :p

thanks guys.

Arksy

old school AV was fun and all, but hopefully the rounds wont last as long.. Seriously, i sat for 5 hours once before we finally killed that poor dwarf :p

guess i need to check it out.. cant just sit here wondering if it would be fun :p

thanks guys.

5 hours? The matches last for two weeks. :D

Don't fret it's a two week long battle to see which server can score the most points. It's a 3 server FFA. So RvRvR or WvWvW. It's pretty epic seeing two big groups of enemies fighting then coming behind as a third group and crushing both and the amount of strategy involved is pretty awesome, running supply chains and constructing and using seige weapons to tear down keep walls and the like.

This is depressing for me. I have basically the same machine except my CPU is OC'd higher and I have a 690 GTX. Frame-rate is all over the place. Someone start a PC performance thread because this kind of discussion get buried in here.

Not sure, but could be the cpu OC? I know a few games actually run worse with high clocks. Also, could just be the 690 :/

Teknoman

Wtf I just got two change password requests. Dont tell me they've started trying to get into accounts already. Hell...whats the point, the game isnt pay to play.

So quick question, how do engineers play? I went Charr ranger and I'm not feeling it as much as I thought I would. What do engineers bring to the table?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Wtf I just got two change password requests. Dont tell me they've started trying to get into accounts already. Hell...whats the point, the game isnt pay to play.

I certainly paid for my account. Also they can strip your items, or just try and sell the account.

BraVeHeartGR

Neo Member
Hey guys! This is an extremely detailed unboxing for the Guild Wars 2 Collector's Edition.

Check the video here...

http://youtu.be/9OSHXQpV4uI?hd=1

GUILD_WARS_2_CE.jpg

vilmer_

I rolled on my cousin's server, Anvil Rock, as his old GW1 guild went there and I must say the WvW is painful :( Most people have no idea what they are doing, it is clear that for a large percentage of people it is their first Guild Wars experience. The most common phrase I see in WvW general chat is "how do you leave world vs world" :lol Right now Yak's Bend is laying down a beating.

same... hopefully it's a system issue... it's been nearly a decade since i've last had a keylogger on my computer... :(

btw: about when do armor start to look interesting? I do hope this game doesn't pull the classic f2p thing in which all the cool shit is cash shop covers :S

btw: anyone find a use for elemental skill that summons a fire ax? It's badass... but i'm really confused about it's purpose.

Does this game have elemental strength/weaknesses?

LogicStep

Any videos on engineer that I can watch, or streams? Most of the footage is from beta, don't know how representative that is of the final product.

Amish

Neo Member
5 hours? The matches last for two weeks. :D

Don't fret it's a two week long battle to see which server can score the most points. It's a 3 server FFA. So RvRvR or WvWvW. It's pretty epic seeing two big groups of enemies fighting then coming behind as a third group and crushing both and the amount of strategy involved is pretty awesome, running supply chains and constructing and using seige weapons to tear down keep walls and the like.

That actually sounds pretty damn fun. Watched some videos linked in the OP. Picking it up tomorrow.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I really love that I'm not pressured to level up to play with my friends. That makes a WORLD of difference. I also love that I can go help my lowbie friends out and still get rewarded accordingly for it. I'm shocked at how HUGE of an improvement this is over every other MMO I've played.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I really love that I'm not pressured to level up to play with my friends. That makes a WORLD of difference. I also love that I can go help my lowbie friends out and still get rewarded accordingly for it. I'm shocked at how HUGE of an improvement this is over every other MMO I've played.
Funny because this effect is so seamless and subtle that many players probably won't even notice it.

Arksy

So quick question, how do engineers play? I went Charr ranger and I'm not feeling it as much as I thought I would. What do engineers bring to the table?

Explosions!!! :D

In all seriousness, they're great. The flamethrower is easily the most enjoyable weapon in the game. Bombs, rocket turrets, healing and net turrets. Elixirs and gadgets! What's not to love? :D

The downside is that the learning curve for a couple of the kits can be a little high, especially the rifle, shield offhand and elixir gun.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Funny because this effect is so seamless and subtle that many players probably won't even notice it.

Truth. I think the only reason I notice it is because I take note of it! I played WoW far before my brother joined in, and I don't really do the whole alt thing (along with other scheduling issues). As a result, he was sort of stuck leveling solo most of the time. Now, him and I can play together any time we want with no issue - in fact, it's going to be good while I help him figure things out.

These guys REALLY got it right, that's for sure.

Hoo-doo

Banned
So, am I the only one having login issues here? The fuck is going on.

The site gives me some crap about virusscanners and firewalls, but I was playing the game on a friend's account just a few days ago.

Teknoman

Oh yeah, the level synching. Doesnt feel intrusive at all, very seamless, and I only noticed it was taking place when I saw that little green arrow.

Whats cool is that you can help out anyone under you, and it still presents a challenge.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Explosions!!! :D

In all seriousness, they're great. The flamethrower is easily the most enjoyable weapon in the game. Bombs, rocket turrets, healing and net turrets. Elixirs and gadgets! What's not to love? :D

The downside is that the learning curve for a couple of the kits can be a little high, especially the rifle, shield offhand and elixir gun.

Is the flamethrower a good offensive weapon now? One reason I went Guardian instead was that even the pitiful scepter dished out more damage than an Engineer. Though I heard that at launch Engineers got buffed up. (scepter damage was nerfed!)

"Moody tell me how to powerlevel weaponsmithing. Do I need to make full weapons or should I just make hilts and blades."

Have no idea about weaponsmithing.

Mothman91

Anyone else is having/or had problems getting into the level 30 dungeon? It seems bugged, people are getting in, but you get into your own instance.

Won

Finally did some WvWvW action. Kinda refreshing to have something playable like that after that SWTOR mess.
But man, I'm never gonna play a melee focused class.

Calibrated

Neo Member
Finally got into Gandara! Ill hopefully join up with some other GAF gw2 newbies and kill some monsters! Enjoying the game so far but I feel that there's not much direction yet, I'm kinda stuck in a zone and cant kill much when i wander away from it. I'm sure it'll change soon though, when i get the hang of the systems in the game.

butzopower

proud of his butz
I feel stuck in Huntsman at level 45. Seems like I always need a level 2 inscription if I want any experience, which means three tiny totems, or claws, or whatever to gain one level. Do I really need to grind off those until 75?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom