• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Same here.

I went through the character creation process (must have spent 20 minutes designing a character), only for it to bring up an error box saying it's unable to connect to the server.

I've been trying since by skipping the creation process, and it still won't login.

This is why I prefer console gaming!

i5V2ArcZG56B4.gif

You never tried to play Metal Gear Online huh?

PatzCU

Just grabbed the game this morning, but won't be able to play until 11/12 PM tonight unfortunately. So is the Stormbluff Full thing a product of current active players? Has anyone had luck creating a character on a full server very late at night?

KingKong

So for people who are levels 20+, do hearts and events get more interesting/involved?

The screenshots people posted seem to have the same "kill x or gather y or use z" heart missions

Rpgmonkey

Well, I would agree that it needs to be toned down a bit, but not because it's too hard, just that the strategies they intend for you to use are not going to happen with a bunch of random dudes who can't really communicate with each other effectively. That sort of boss would go much better in a dungeon.

I think the delay for the second hit needs to be extended. It is just dumb to be knocked down and then killed before you can even recover. The knockback is penalty enough for not moving out of the circle.

Yeah it's not exactly hard, but I don't like that that attack that knocks you down pretty much means instant death, because it's so hard to really notice it when there's so much else going on at once. For such a low level event I think there was a bit too much chaos they wanted us to handle.

It doesn't help that some people participating practically refused to go to a waypoint and come back, and instead decided to just lay there and wait for someone to attempt to revive them (which just resulted in another death 90% of the time).

Torraz

man, doing these story missions as elementist is tough.

Any tips against archers? Always seem to get my ass handed to me. Using a staff atm.

Having very similar issues. Normal/non-special attacks by archers, sorcerers, and other monsters seem to auto-aim. I have tried circle-strafing continually and standing still and moving out of the way at the last instant. I always get hit. These small auto-hits thus continually chip away at my health as the two dodges are completely insufficient, and they are “reserved”, for the special moves and attacks that need to be dodged. This is especially frustrating when forced into 1 vs 5-9 fights during story missions. Outside of those one can pick one’s fights carefully, but these story missions are hell. I wish I could deactivate level scaling for them…

Any hints/advice how to proceed in those?

oh yeah lava front forgot :p

man lvlin up the support 'elements' is teeedious :(

I do find it nice how you can pretty much afk for a bit slowly water blasting a guy to death without getting hurt :p

quick question... is gear not represented on avatar in this game? How do I get new stuff? I mean its not like i don't mind my skimpy little mage clothes or anything...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Got the same problem.

I went through the character creation process (must have spent 20 minutes designing a character), only for it to bring up an error box saying it's unable to connect to the server. I've been trying since by skipping the creation process, and it still won't login.

This is why I prefer console gaming! At least you know you're not going to have to wrestle with errors.

Lol... Get this garbage out of here.

I don't imagine you've played too many console games where you are forced to register and create a character if you can say something like this.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
For those of you who want to have a free copy of this game, I'll be giving away a copy through twitter. I'm giving away Halo 4 stuff for every 25 followers and the grand prize at the end is Guild Wars 2! Just retweet and follow to have a chance at winning!

Twitter is @kayos90.

Artanisix

Keep discovering recipes by following the same line of hilt+blade+modifier for all possible combinations you have. After you've exhausted that, you'll only need to grind crafting a few of the green full weapons. I mean, you could just make hilts and blades and get some XP, but making a full weapon is a ton more XP and you can't do anything to those halfway components. Once you make the full weapon, salvage it to recoup some components back. Rinse and repeat and watch the XP flow in.

Oh man I completely forgot about discovery. Alright thanks kag, appreciate it

Aeana

It's really pretty crazy how much exp discovery gets you. I went from level 25 to 31 with one particular discovery.

Mudo

Nope. And now the gem stuff is down too.

I'm hoping that is a good sign. Perhaps they are nearly done doing whatever they've been doing to the Trading Post the last few days and they're going to unleash it on us tonight!

Wishful thinking at best. I was sure that Guilds and the Trading Post would be up and running 100% this morning at official launch. I can't believe they are both still not working...

Otherwise, amazing game. Engineer Level 23 and Huntsman/Jeweler. The last time I had warmfuzzies over an MMO was the WOW Alpha back in...2003/2004 I forget exactly. But a long time ago. This game is magical for lack of a better word =)

Anyone hesitating on Engineer, I would suggest trying one out. I run around with turrets mostly and at level 23 I have 4 out at a time. For farming crafting ingredients etc it is great. I just pull things to my turret destruction zone and watch the bloodbath! I've messed around with the Flamethrower and it's cool. The bomb kit is really good for dynamic events where you have a huge mob of people attacking things. I get lots of AOE in there with the bombs and get Gold pretty much every time. If you start getting hit on though - at least me - death comes quickly so it's all about managing the distance between you and the enemy. Turrets grab agro really well (is that working as intended????) so I just back up and Rifle away on things!

LProtag

I've tried Elementalist and Ranger up to level 12 and Warrior up to 6, nothing is really sticking.

Should I try Guardian next?

Lol... Get this garbage out of here.

I don't imagine you've played too much console games where you are forced to register and create a character if you can say something like this.

Yeah, guess so.

4chan keeps making fun of my charr :(

Ufyje.jpg

Wow, that's quite unique looking. You must have spent a while designing it.

i5V2ArcZG56B4.gif

You never tried to play Metal Gear Online huh?

You would be correct.

pyrandes

Finally hit 30ish last night. Ill prob be looking to do AC (ascalon catacombs) story mode tonite after Hawkian's WvW tutorial to gauge to
the horror of the dungeon :).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
yeah... i buy them... but dont really notice my toon looking any different o_O.

maybe im not paying attention enough.
Are you equipping them? It's possible you're buying armor with the same skin over and over...

Remember you can dye stuff at any time, and your armor options will only expand the farther you get.

yeah... i buy them... but dont really notice my toon looking any different o_O.

maybe im not paying attention enough.

All the armor you put on will follow your current color scheme, so maybe you are just finding some similar looking armor and not noticing that it is indeed changing. I know a lot of the heavy armor in lower areas are all kinda variations of the same chainmail stuff. There are fancier pieces to be found at karma vendors, a glove hear, a helm there that can be put together to make a pretty distinct set.

edit: oops, didnt mean to doublepost

Hoo-doo

Banned
I think email validation is broken atm, but you should be able to go in and start playing. I just did earlier to test my install and everything seems to be working fine

Nope. Can't create a character. It fucks up every time.

God damn. This is really bumming me out, I was so looking forward to finally playing this game.

1328821964286.gif

01DragonFly

>.< some one just offer me to buy the name of one of my character . If I wasn't to attach it to the name I would have do it.
Is anyone of you gaffers a German rapper named dragon fly?

I hope my account does not get hacked lol

BadTaste

I salvage about 90% of the gear I find, I know I could sell gear but I've had little to spend currency on. What do you guys do?

skittz0r

Neo Member
Having very similar issues. Normal/non-special attacks by archers, sorcerers, and other monsters seem to auto-aim. I have tried circle-strafing continually and standing still and moving out of the way at the last instant. I always get hit. These small auto-hits thus continually chip away at my health as the two dodges are completely insufficient, and they are “reserved”, for the special moves and attacks that need to be dodged. This is especially frustrating when forced into 1 vs 5-9 fights during story missions. Outside of those one can pick one’s fights carefully, but these story missions are hell. I wish I could deactivate level scaling for them…

Any hints/advice how to proceed in those?

What weapon are you using? Staff 3 earth reflects projectiles - mix it with Arcane Shield skill, 2 dodges, your knockbacks/stuns (air staff 3 iirc), and you should be okay.

Also, circle strafing in a constant direction doesn't seem to work well against ranged opponents because they just lead you with their projectile so I suggest strafing back and forth in a small area, maybe 5-6 steps so that the led projectiles miss.

:)

skittz0r

Neo Member
I salvage about 90% of the gear I find, I know I could sell gear but I've had little to spend currency on. What do you guys do?

Have you hit up professions yet? Cooking is will cost you some money/karma but it's a ton of quick XP and you make some good stuff. Crafting in general is way quicker than normal leveling if you dump enough resources into it.

Windam

Scaley member
Login server down just as I finish my first instance. :(

Edit: By the way, which graphics drivers are best to run the game on? I have a GTX 460.

Keep discovering recipes by following the same line of hilt+blade+modifier for all possible combinations you have. After you've exhausted that, you'll only need to grind crafting a few of the green full weapons. I mean, you could just make hilts and blades and get some XP, but making a full weapon is a ton more XP and you can't do anything to those halfway components. Once you make the full weapon, salvage it to recoup some components back. Rinse and repeat and watch the XP flow in.

What works as modifiers? I only have a few for leatherworking and I'm not high enough level to use any of them.

How do you do it through the game?
Hit "O" to go the the blacklion store or whatever it's called and there's a button for "register code" want to say it's in the upper left corner of window. Put the "-" where applicable.
Stormbluff Isle shouldn't be full; they raised the caps yesterday to let more people in. If it's full again, I'd wait to see if they raise the caps once more; they also have free transfers right now, so you can play anywhere while you wait and then transfer over.

They expanded? nice, I was hoping that would happen. So where do you change from? WvW menu? Haven't even tried going there yet.

Edit: I figured it out and got into Stormbluff :) It's High right now so join quick if you're not already in!

etiolate

Banned
Any word on whether they're bringing back the high-res screenshot option?

They know people want it back, but there's no word on if they're bringing it back. It was buggy before, creating squared images when water was in view.

I've been using Bandicam to take screenshots. It's better than the default screenshots from the GW2 client, but it still doesn't pick up all the visual effects. Really great views in game still come out a bit flat and dulled in screenshots.

daebo

Sorry, I know this gets asked a lot and I could probably did through all the pages, but I just got off work and want to play. Are the guild invites either still down? or is the gaf full?

Not complaining, just checking out and seeing what my options are.

Proven

But at the distances my Bow wasn't hitting anything really. I was getting hammered while my shots were all "obstructed" or "out of range".

I haven't unlocked some of the best abilities that's why I'm biting my tongue right now (kinda, lol) so I will give it time. Either way the game is a blast so I'm not really worried about it right now. If I'm not good at one thing I'll be good at another. I'm just having flashbacks of Warrior in Warhammer during keep sieges and they were absolutely worthless, like no point in even being there until you had to do PVE shit once the gate was down.

Two things I learned about the Warrior Longbow (that make me wish I could edit the guildwars2 wiki for credit):

1. Sometime in the last month or two they nerfed the Longbow's range without my noticing. So now it's a 900 range weapon.

Aside: Also very recently, they nerfed a lot of projectile weapons that had their auto-attacks count as projectile finishers. For example, the Warrior's Longbow and Rifle's autoattacks are now only 20% activate as a combo finisher.

2. The trait "Stronger Bowstrings" increases the Longbow range back to 1200 for Warrior. I thought that kind of sucked, until I noticed that it has a second, hidden effect. It causes all your Longbow attacks to count as 100% projectile combo finishers again. So now I love the Longbow once more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom