• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

etiolate

Banned
Supersampling didn't do much for me, so I turned it off. I noticed they added another level of shadows, but that may have been there for awhile and I just ignored it. Fiddled with LOD and ended up leaving it at medium. FPS in sPVP was 50-60. In Lion's Arch it fell to 30fps.

Emitan

Just ordered a new processor/motherboard, because I was not at all happy with the performance I got. Hopefully that'll fix it for me. Going by what someone else who has the same GPU as me said earlier in the thread, it should. I know my current CPU is junk, though; doesn't even have L3 cache.

What GPU? I think you said 560 Ti (too tired to check, about to take a nap). My performance with a 560 is fine so it's definitely your CPU if that's the case.

Grakl

Oh man, not sure if I can run this -

GTX 260M
Core2 Duo P7450 2.13GHZ
4GB RAM

My resolution is only 1366 X 768 though.

I should replace my processor.

PewPewK

My performance on the new nVidia 305.67 developer drivers has been pretty good. Max settings including supersampling and I usually average between 40 and 80 FPS. I will say, the FPS does drop pretty substantially if you rotate the camera too quickly though, which I'm not a fan of, but it's usually okay.

chris-013

Q6600@3.2 Ghz + 460 GTX here... I go rarely above 30 fps. :/

My performance on the new nVidia 305.67 developer drivers has been pretty good. Max settings including supersampling and I usually average between 40 and 80 FPS. I will say, the FPS does drop pretty substantially if you rotate the camera too quickly though, which I'm not a fan of, but it's usually okay.

How much fps did you win with the new driver ?

GTX 260M
Core2 Duo P7450 2.13GHZ
4GB RAM

You should be able to run it at moderate settings. It won't be a beauty queen, but it should be playable if you mess with different settings.

berva

Neo Member
Had a great time during the stress test. I think I'll be playing a Human Thief. The Thief profession is a blast to mess with.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
For those of you who didn't know Guild Wars 2 runs off of both CPU and GPU so if you're getting odd performances with a good graphics card then you CPU is most likely the issue. Just reiterating for those who didn't know.

etiolate

Banned
http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/08/21/g...-talks-e-sports-spectator-mode-and-streaming/

“We have this great big iceberg of what we want to do” he says. “Right now what you have is free tournaments that you get into, where you get your tickets to get you into the paid tournaments. [The paid tournaments] have better rewards – you can actually get gems through those, so it’s more of a case of putting money on the line and somebody’s going to get some really cool stuff.”

There’ll be daily pickup tournaments as well as monthly and year-long contests. Players will also be able to customize tournaments to run among their friends and rivals. Tournaments are hot-joinable through a shooter-style server browser. “If there’s two of us we can be matched with three other people and then fight somebody else in a five on five. That’s really cool, and we’re trying to grow the community there.”

A spectator mode is on its way, Sharp says, although ArenaNet aren’t willing to show it off yet.

They mention three launch sPVP maps, but this stress test featured the fourth map. From playing it, I think it will be in at launch. Underwater combat is harder to get a feel for, but I still enjoyed the map. It has some interesting dynamics, so even though the underwater parts were hard to adjust to, the map overall was more fun than Foefire.

The map has one cap point underwater and it's guarded by sharks. The strategy is to get that middle point, because whoever controls the underwater point then controls the sharks. This makes swimming across the map a pain for the other team. Taking this point was pretty chaotic. I'd normally be fighting four or five sharks plus an enemy player.

After that, the two side points are important and where the battle tends to spend most of its time. While most of the maps tend to have a lot of time spent at mid, the new map seems to have most of its battles at the edges. This is caused by the shark factor deterring sneak caps by the other team.

There's also a pirate ship with cannonballs that you can take to a canon resting atop a plateau between the two side cap points.

Screens:
ibsqMHl0nruRJ5.png

i7HFwkDRah4Sp.png

Also, note on special stomp animations:

“The artists just go crazy with it” Sharp says. “We’ll allow you to have just the ranked stuff, but we also have a lot of funny stuff. We might have different things that only show up at different times of the season so you can do things that are very festive. We have a really big system that we can put anything into.”

They won’t all be silly, however. “We have plans for things that are going to be much more character-building” says Sharp. “Stuff that a necro might want to do that a warrior wouldn’t really care about, and stuff where a warrior would be like ‘oh, that’s awesome, that really fits my character’.”

berva

Neo Member
maybe it's a stupid question guys, but I hated TERA with a passion. Is this game similar to it?

No it's not like TERA, having played TERA just recently (uninstalled in about an hour) GW2 is a totally different experience. Don't be afraid to jump in.

Could someone give me a quick synopsis on skills? Notice how there aren't half a dozen skill bar rows on the screen. Game seems to have a pretty hefty level cap as well.

Emitan

Could someone give me a quick synopsis on skills? Notice how there aren't half a dozen skill bar rows on the screen. Game seems to have a pretty hefty level cap as well.

Your weapon determines your first five skills (5 skills for two handed weapons or 3 skills for main hand weapons and 2 skills for off hand weapons). But a Ranger and a Guardian will have different skills with a greatsword. The other 5 skills are utility skills which always include one heal and one elite skill.

Level cap is 80 but after level 20 (30?) the amount of XP you need to level never changes so it's not as much of a grind as pretty much any other MMO.

Your weapon determines your first five skills (5 skills for two handed weapons or 3 skills for main hand weapons and 2 skills for off hand weapons). But a Ranger and a Guardian will have different skills with a greatsword. The other 5 skills are utility skills which always include one heal and one elite skill.

Level cap is 80 but after level 20 (30?) the amount of XP you need to level never changes so it's not as much of a grind as pretty much any other MMO.

But... is there no unlocking new skills or w/e when you lvl? Unlocking new skills is a key bullet point that keeps me in mmos :(

And silly question... but where can I even buy this game with a gift card? aka I have cash but I don't want to pay sales tax. :p

LuuKyK

After playing like, 15 minutes of the stress test today I think I am decided to main an elementalist. lol And I was going to go with a hunter! Now to decide the race. x__x

But... is there no unlocking new skills or w/e when you lvl? Unlocking new skills is a key bullet point that keeps me in mmos :(

You choose which slots to unlock using skill points which you get when you level or complete skill challenges which are out in the world. The slots you can use those skills with open up at 5, 10, 20 and 30.

lol51

First 5 skills are based on weapon selection (mainhand+offhand, 2 hander, etc).

At certain level (10?) you will be able to unlock weapon swap. To quickly cycle through another first 5 skills.

6 is the heal. You will have a choice of 3 different heals. Each having a unique effect.

7,8,9 are utility. Utilities can have passive + active effects. They can be traps. They can be minions. They usually have a direct link to your trait selection. Eg: A trait that increases effectiveness of a specific utility category (Trap, Gadget, Banner).

0 is an elite skill usually with the longest cooldown.

And silly question... but where can I even buy this game with a gift card? aka I have cash but I don't want to pay sales tax. :p

in PvE and WvW skills cost Skill points to unlock. You get skill points by leveling up and doing Skill Challenges. Typical MMO rules apply: unlock lower tier utility before higher tier, Elites cost much more In PvP all skills are unlocked.

Emitan

My map is stuck in the top right corner and I can't figure out how to get it back down. Dragging it down in the same way I dragged it up doesn't work :(

So... the skill point skills just buff your other skills or...

At level cap, would you be able to access all your skills for 1 weapon set or w/e with 1 hotkey bar?

Dunlop

GTX 260M
Core2 Duo P7450 2.13GHZ
4GB RAM

I should replace my processor.

I posted in the last thread but my specs are low also:

Win7 pro (64 bit)
4GB Ram
GTX260
AMD Phenom II x3 720 2.8ghz

And the game is silky smooth for me, I didn't have a lot of time to try the stress test today (work) but I looked at what setting it had configured for me and it was everything medium except post processing which was low, sorry couldn't figure out how to check my FPS

Looks awesome and is silkly smooth (PVE,SPVP,WvWvW) so I am thrilled, will obviously look better on a modern gaming rig. It's actually motivating me to pick up a better video card

My resolution is 1920 x 1080 and I connect via cable interner 15/1.5 mbps

Emitan

At level cap, would you be able to access all your skills for 1 weapon set or w/e with 1 hotkey bar?

You use skill points to unlock your 6-0 skills (heal, 3 utilities, elite). Higher tier skills require more than one skill point to unlock.

mik83kuu

Banned
Nice read on the official website about performance. Here's a couple of bars for your pleasure, but I recommend at least skim through the story.

Framerate-Comparison-590x289.jpg

Average-Framerate-by-GPU-590x781.jpg

Note: If you didn't read the article, just know that this data was mined from actual stress test participants, but limited to people running an Intel Core i5 or higher to make sure the CPU wasn't the bottleneck.

Proven

The best part about the aftermath of a six hour stress test is all of the PvP and WvW videos I'll be able to watch and use to tide me over until Friday night.

lol51

Skill point UNLOCK skills 6-0.

Weapon skills 1-5 will unlock on that weapon type usage. If you never use a Dagger as a thief and switch to a dagger at level 80 it will not be unlocked. It will unlock quickly though since unlock speed is quicker at higher levels.

If you do skill challenges and level up you should be able to unlock all Skill Point skills. You actually keep gaining skill points when you keep leveling at 80. Since skill points are used as currency to certain vendors.

XsbvD.jpg

HfO1t.jpg

A good showing for Operation Bearflood, considering that the server was completely full and stopped anyone from other servers from transferring over to join in on the party.

It makes me wish there was that 'International District' option that GW1 has for certain instances like Lion's Arch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom