• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piecake

GAF, help me out. I'm having a hard time deciding between professions. I'm stuck between the Mesmer, Necromancer and Elementalist.

I like a lot about Mesmer's style, deception, temporary invisibility, dig the weapon choices they have - but the mechanic with clones and decoys as a resource is a bit meh. Also, it kind of feels like their damage might be inferior to the two other options, and I like dealing high damage even if it means a little bit of a tradeoff in survivability. Plus they seem to be lacking in the AoE field.

Necromancers on the other hand, oh yes please, the mechanic with life force and death shroud is amazing, I love the feel - they also seem to be pretty good in terms of damage and survivability. On the other hand, I don't really like pets - and while they have some pretty cool skills, I don't see any weapon that would trump the others - with Mesmer I'm absolutely in love with the greatswords style, Necro don't seem to have such a clear favourite for me.

And then there's the Elementalist - I don't really like their style, but the multitude of options and the clean, pet-less mage style are things they definitely have going for them. Both Necro and Mesmer seem more interesting though...

Anyone willing to try and push me over that fence in one way or another?

Necro. You seem to like that the best

An-Det

A bit late, but I'm loving the /dance moves. I'd forgotten those weren't added the last time I played a BWE. Seeing the Norn do the Carlton is magical, and makes the next few days all the more cruel.

Ferny

I was looking up the server that we chose (stormbluff isle) and I found the 'official' Stormbluff Isle community website. Well, apparently guilds can register to the website so that the community at large can work together well. I go to see the Guild List to see if GAF is a registered guild on that site and lo and behold, there we are. Nice work!

Anyway, that tells me that I'm probably late on this but the website I found was www.stormbluffisle.com

Yeah they posted over on GAFGuild.com and we signed up and got us all going on the site. Thanks to Retro and I believe Warrior for finding them first.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Yeah they posted over on GAFGuild.com and we signed up and got us all going on the site. Thanks to Retro and I believe Warrior for finding them first.

That's really cool because it gives me hope about this specific community server-wide. The most dangerous thing about choosing an MMO at launch is choosing the server - you choose the wrong one and you're basically screwed. I do have a good feeling about Stormbluff, which makes me somewhat relieved for choosing this server to be my home server.

Sephirus

Awesome OT! Haven't had much of a chance to post in awhile (been so busy), but I simply can't wait for this game. So hyped, so fucking hyped...

And those /dance moves are amazing.

KarmaCow

How big is the actual download for this game? For better worse I'm almost sold on the game but a 25 GB download is way too much.

How big is the actual download for this game? For better worse I'm almost sold on the game but a 25 GB download is way too much.

Its around 13-15gb right now for a clean install, I think. Approximately. Some people have larger files cause they've been in betas longer and have some extra stuff thats been cut/replaced.

I think I read somewhere (here or reddit today) that the physical version will install like 13gb, and then you'll download the last 1gb or whatever. So if bandwidth is an issue, definitely for for the physical version.

I am not sure, but Amazon might still be giving early access codes if you buy the physical copy now.

edit: doh, but the early access will be useless cause you'll still have to download lol. nevermind

Rapture

What. No way. Divinity's Reach is gorgeous. Us poor Norn have a boring empty city that's big for the sake of being big.

Totally with you on this. Of course i love all the cities, they do a great job of conveying each culture. Plus, Divinity's Reach just felt so alive, especially the carnival area with the confetti falling down.

A 5 hour stress test and people are already making machinima with the dances. I love this community already. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcrsgm4T7Wk

lmao that was perfect! now that song is going to be stuck in my head all night.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
not too bad.

Anyhow, ordered off GMG.

Worst impulse purchase at the start of a new semester.

But I survived spring semester with TOR... hope this isn't too bad. This game is suppose to not require me on it all the time... right?

The difference with GW2 is that since there is no subscription, you don't get that guilty: "I'm paying monthly for this game I should put some time into it" feeling and can moderate yourself.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I was looking up the server that we chose (stormbluff isle) and I found the 'official' Stormbluff Isle community website. Well, apparently guilds can register to the website so that the community at large can work together well. I go to see the Guild List to see if GAF is a registered guild on that site and lo and behold, there we are. Nice work!

Anyway, that tells me that I'm probably late on this but the website I found was www.stormbluffisle.com

They actually approached us on gafguild.com.

Valnen

The difference with GW2 is that since there is no subscription, you don't get that guilty: "I'm paying monthly for this game I should put some time into it" feeling and can moderate yourself.

They replaced that with "holy crap I'm missing out on events I might never see again so I need to be logged in at all times" >.<.

Arksy

Wow...their sound design is some of the best in the industry.

It WAS pretty bad in BWE1. The chief sound technician even said it was unacceptable that people weren't feeling the sounds associated with the weapons and abilities such as the slashing and shooting (This was on their beta forums during BWE1). Slashes and stabs should have that visceral feel to them. Since then it has improved substantially.

Jira

They replaced that with "holy crap I'm missing out on events I might never see again so I need to be logged in at all times" >.<.

You don't have to worry about that honestly. As they put in more events they said they'll scale back the frequency in which you'll see older events, but they'll still be there and will run.

Kalnos

Banned

What events are those? I'm not trying to be rude, I actually don't know.

I remember on my second WoW server some silly guild rang the AQ gong at like 4 a.m. which was kind of amusing.

berva

Neo Member
If anyone needs a code for the 3 day head start let me know, got someone on ebay selling them for $1.99 (very fast delivery), purchased one yesterday as the pre order from GMG does not include head start if purchased after 8th August (be aware of that)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I remember on my second WoW server some silly guild rang the AQ gong at like 4 a.m. which was kind of amusing.

We don't know. They can alter dynamic events at any time.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I felt like performance was a bit down this time, sadly I'm expecting this to be the final settings for launch. Stuttered way more than it used to. Did they add a strange new graphics option I should have changed?

Wallach

I felt like performance was a bit down this time, sadly I'm expecting this to be the final settings for launch. Stuttered way more than it used to. Did they add a strange new graphics option I should have changed?

Graphics options have definitely changed themselves a few times in the past four tests between builds, yeah.

Valnen

I just remember reading that some events will happen all the time, some could only happen once a year at unpredictable times, etc.

Jira

I just remember reading that some events will happen all the time, some could only happen once a year at unpredictable times, etc.

Considering they've said they'll just drop events into the game without telling us, it would be impossible to know if you encountered an event that only runs once a year or not.

Absinthe

Made a Logan BG for anyone who's interested:

iqihoxqhBN8pb.jpg

koji

So, what's the deal now, I guess they've whiped all characters, come launch we get to create new ones and select our server? Reason I'm asking is because I made some characters on an earlier stresstest and couldn't move them to Gandara, I also couldn't create a new character on Gandara. It created them on the server I picked the first time...

Took a while for me and my mates to figure out why we couldn't see eachother :lol (yeah, we're THAT noob)

Wallach

So, what's the deal now, I guess they've whiped all characters, come launch we get to create new ones and select our server? Reason I'm asking is because I made some characters on an earlier stresstest and couldn't move them to Gandara, I also couldn't create a new character on Gandara. It created them on the server I picked the first time...

Took a while for me and my mates to figure out why we couldn't see eachother :lol

Yeah, when head start begins you'll start over fresh, including picking a new home server.

koji

Yeah, when head start begins you'll start over fresh, including picking a new home server.

Cool, thanks :)

Tried some WvWvW last night, oh man, those maps are huge, didn't have a clue what I had to do, was pretty impressive though. Come to think of it, everything is impressive, such scale and depth, dang, going to take me a while to learn this game :)

Performance on my 920 @ 3.8ghz with a gtx580 is pretty bad, disabling VSYNC helped a lot. It's random though, I can stand between 50 players at 30fps but I can also be running down a forest with no one around and get the same fps. Ah well, it's certainly playable but it's not smooth or anything...

Still contemplating which class I'll be rolling. I've only really gotten to feel out Mesmer and Elementalist and really enjoyed playing as both.

Looks like I'll have to do some thinking over the next three days.

Teknoman

Its going to be amazing exploring underwater...I wonder if they'll have some really out there looking enemies for deep sea exploration?

Valnen

Considering they've said they'll just drop events into the game without telling us, it would be impossible to know if you encountered an event that only runs once a year or not.

You know, I bet if they do seasonal events they'll be way more awesome than the ones in WoW.

You know, I bet if they do seasonal events they'll be way more awesome than the ones in WoW.

Likely seasonal events:
Lucky Weekend (st patrick's day)
April Fools' Day
Talk Like a Pirate Day
Halloween
Thanksgiving
Christmas

They'll probably add the dragon festival when the Canthan expansion comes around.

Valnen

Likely seasonal events:
Lucky Weekend (st patrick's day)
April Fools' Day
Talk Like a Pirate Day
Halloween
Thanksgiving
Christmas

They'll probably add the dragon festival when the Canthan expansion comes around.

Just imagining this stuff with the dynamic event system sounds very interesting. I wonder if they'll have something ready for this Halloween?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom