• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalomonA

Performance on my 920 @ 3.8ghz with a gtx580 is pretty bad, disabling VSYNC helped a lot. It's random though, I can stand between 50 players at 30fps but I can also be running down a forest with no one around and get the same fps. Ah well, it's certainly playable but it's not smooth or anything...

Im having the exact same problem (as do everyone else?)
Maxed everything out @ 1680 x 1050 res with my Phenom II 965 @ 3,4 + Geforce gtx 570.

Didn't try turning off v-sync tho. But as you said, it's playable, but not near the smoothness I want from a mmo :/

Wallach

Funny. Guardians have a very similar move. And it works fine.

Pretty much all the leaps were broken until the build update during the stress test today. On Engineer the Jump Shot leap would make all the NPCs in the world disappear for a moment, then you'd get teleported to a random waypoint in the zone. Wasn't even the nearest one sometimes.

Im having the exact same problem (as do everyone else?)
Maxed everything out @ 1680 x 1050 res with my Phenom II 965 @ 3,4 + Geforce gtx 570.

Didn't try turning off v-sync tho. But as you said, it's playable, but not near the smoothness I want from a mmo :/

Doesn't sound right, but it depends on what all you maxed out. If you have supersampling enabled your GPU will probably buckle fairly regularly.

Emitan

Pretty much all the leaps were broken until the build update during the stress test today. On Engineer the Jump Shot leap would make all the NPCs in the world disappear for a moment, then you'd get teleported to a random waypoint in the zone. Wasn't even the nearest one sometimes.

I accidentally sold my greatsword before I could test my leap :(

etiolate

Banned
ieAm0UAqcPeiw.png

BRAAAAAAAAAAAAINS

Forkball

Doesn't sound right, but it depends on what all you maxed out. If you have supersampling enabled your GPU will probably buckle fairly regularly.

Heartseeker on thief is a leap move, and whenever I used it I would warp back to some random place. In Eternal Battlegrounds, I warped all the way back to the borderlands in the middle of a battle.

I wish they wouldn't wipe our characters from the stress test. I don't want to have to create my guy again, he's gorgeous. Da Vinci couldn't paint the Mona Lisa exactly right two times!

Nyx

Ok guys help me out, rolling dice to choose a prof isn't smart so I really would like to make a decision.

The Necro and Thief were my favs, but last night in bed (yeah lol..) I thought that it might be a bad idea to choose one or both of these, as I've played a Warlock and Rogue in WoW for many years, and as this is a new game, I think I prefer a different playstyle.

Therefore, the Engineer got my attention now, but could someone please explain a bit on how that prof plays, and what the possibilities are regarding builds etc ?

Thanks in advance!

etiolate

Banned
Ok guys help me out, rolling dice to choose a prof isn't smart so I really would like to make a decision.

The Necro and Thief were my favs, but last night in bed (yeah lol..) I thought that it might be a bad idea to choose one or both of these, as I've played a Warlock and Rogue in WoW for many years, and as this is a new game, I think I prefer a different playstyle.

Therefore, the Engineer got my attention now, but could someone please explain a bit on how that prof plays, and what the possibilities are regarding builds etc ?

Thanks in advance!

The Engineer is one of the most versatile classes in the game. There's a lot of ways to play it, though it requires switching in and out of toolkits most often.

The Engineer's weapon options are limited. You have pistols, rifle and shield. You will start out a ranged weapon user and not ever really leave from that. The class opens up once you start getting utility skills. Utilities are extremely important to Engineers, maybe moreso than any other class. Within your utilities are your playstyles, with toolkits, and turrets and elixirs that do various things.

Toolkits replace your 1-5 abilities with skills specified to that toolkit. They are like extra weapons in that way.

Your heal skill and utilities make up your toolbelt skills. Each heal or utility skill provides a different toolbelt skill. The toolbelt makes up your Fkey commands. These add extra functionality to your utilities.

This system allows an Engineer to be many things and even many things at once.

You can play an alchemist Engineer and use elixirs and perhaps the elixir gun. This style involves using your mainhand weapon, drinking elixirs for buffs and tossing elixirs to buff people in the area.

You can play a turret Engy and set up turrets in an area. This is a more stationary playstyle but can be very good at holding an area.

You can play with explosive toolkits and use grenades and bombs to do lots of AOE damage, mixed in with mainhand weapons. I find a power build with a rifle and grenades or bombs to work really well. It's a lot of aoe damage and combo fields.

You can play with the flamethrower and be a midrange pyro. Flamethrower mixes very well with explosives and your ranged weapons due to the Toolbelt Fskill and the Flame combo field. You can apply a lot of burning to multiple foes. You also have some control with the pushback.

You can play a support Engineer and use toolkits and toolbelt skills to give healing aoes and healing combo fields. Dropping medkit packs works well with this.

You can equip a Flamethrower, Elixir Gun, Medkit and Grenade kit and switch from AOE grenadier, to pyromaniac, to support help, to control debuffs, to straight damage and condition stacking.

Proven

Heartseeker on thief is a leap move, and whenever I used it I would warp back to some random place. In Eternal Battlegrounds, I warped all the way back to the borderlands in the middle of a battle.

I wish they wouldn't wipe our characters from the stress test. I don't want to have to create my guy again, he's gorgeous. Da Vinci couldn't paint the Mona Lisa exactly right two times!
This is exactly why I'm waiting until launch to play with the character creator. Well, that and the fact that they've added more and more options each BWE, so I expect a few more to sneak in by launch. Game goes live, I grab my names, then spend hours tinkering them all one by one over the course of a week.

As a warrior, I got both the instakill bug and the random warp bug, but at random times. And I'd still use it five minutes later anyway. Sigh. There were no problems with leaps in sPvP so it became hard to break out of the habit when I went to chase down friends in Norn country.

Did anyone play a Warrior mainly with a longbow? And how does it compare to playing a Ranger?
The fact that your 1 skill is a multi-hit and your 2 and 3 are AoE means that you gain adrenaline fast. They nerfed burst skills a bit, but the longbow can still be used for an ever-burning setup, making it one of my favorite weapons in the game. The 4 skill gives you a nice blind and the 5 skill is an immobilize, meaning I never needed Throw Bolas either. So useful. So wonderful. And the 3 skill is a blast finisher that can combo with your own fire field burst skill in order to give Area Might to yourself and allies. Thanks to the Longbow, I might not touch Ranger bows for months.

Keasar

Anyone want the discount code for 5 dollars off on the Original Game Soundtrack from DirectSong that came with the Collectors Edition? I already ordered my copy a few weeks ago so its too late for me to use it.

EDIT: Taken.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone want the discount code for 5 dollars off on the Original Game Soundtrack from DirectSong that came with the Collectors Edition? I already ordered my copy a few weeks ago so its too late for me to use it.

If I still can order it come next month I'll take it gladly :)

Damn, my pc really struggled to keep the game running :| Even in the lowest settings I had some problems playing with lot's of people around. The Sylvari hometown is impossible since I couldn't get any steady fps :|

It's a i5 520M with an ATI Mobility HD 5650 and 4GB DDR3. Figured it would play a lot smoother than it did :|

Rad-

Damn, my pc really struggled to keep the game running :| Even in the lowest settings I had some problems playing with lot's of people around. The Sylvari hometown is impossible since I couldn't get any steady fps :|

It's a i5 520M with an ATI Mobility HD 5650 and 4GB DDR3. Figured it would play a lot smoother than it did :|

Yeah I have a quite similar system and the fps drops a lot in popular areas. But it's still playable. Just a shame they couldn't make this as optimized as GW1 was.

Sethos

Banned
Still undecided on server. Do I roll with the majority of Danes or do I roll with EU GAF. Not even a very social person to begin with :p

RossCo

Neo Member
Impressed by so many features of this having held off from playing in any of the Betas and weakening for last nights stress test.

The Engineer was kind of fun, but I hope it gets to be more interesting when you get access to more skills.

Does anyone know how they handle equipment in regard to the way the game will level you down to be appropriate to each zone. I didn't really get far enough on the stress tests to get to that point, but I was wondering if the game had a gear nerf system in place or just left you as is.

Dunlop

Nailed down that I am 100% playing an engineer, had a blast in sPVP..now I have to go nuts choosing between Asura and Human

Asura - Awesome story line, animation
Human - Much more detail on character model due to larger size

Proven

One little change that happened around BWE3 that I only took note of subconsciously: combo fields now have a wavy line around their edges. If it's a friendly field, the wavy line effect is more pronounced, and a small ankle high raised ring appears as well. I mostly didn't notice because I memorized most of the combo fields in the game.

Nailed down that I am 100% playing an engineer, had a blast in sPVP..now I have to go nuts choosing between Asura and Human

Asura - Awesome story line, animation
Human - Much more detail on character model due to larger size

I'm still holding out and hoping that they add a few human models that don't look so damn clean/fresh/featureless.

Wallach

One little change that happened around BWE3 that I only took note of subconsciously: combo fields now have a wavy line around their edges. If it's a friendly field, the wavy line effect is more pronounced, and a small ankle high raised ring appears as well. I mostly didn't notice because I memorized most of the combo fields in the game.

If you look closely, the ankle high wavy lines are actually puzzle pieces floating up into the air to signify that they initiate combos.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
If you look closely, the ankle high wavy lines are actually puzzle pieces floating up into the air to signify that they initiate combos.

oooooh I saw those puzzle pieces once but figured they were the effect of a specific skill. So if a field has puzzle edges, it's a combo starter field?

edit: Mind kinda blown, thanks for clearing that up!

Proven

The current PvP metagame has been switching over to having one or two members go heavy into support, often an elementalist. Here's a match from Team Legacy from the point of view of an earth and heavy water oriented elementalist, with the ability to tank damage and keep a near constant regeneration buff on himself at like 500 a tick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlH2MidUwsk

I'll probably be making a Norn Elementalist like this one...

Cool...

Dunlop

The current PvP metagame has been switching over to having one or two members go heavy into support, often an elementalist. Here's a match from Team Legacy from the point of view of an earth and heavy water oriented elementalist, with the ability to tank damage and keep a near constant regeneration buff on himself at like 500 a tick.

Cool...

that's crazy, he never seems to take any damage even when there are like 3 people on him

Violet_0

Banned

yeah, regeneration is pretty nuts (and a Water Elementalist can remove conditions from allies with every applied regeneration effect). The Ranger elite spirit is similar to this, 300-500 aoe healing per tick for 60 seconds, you basically can't win a fight unless you kill the spirit first.

Ken

Is anyone having trouble patching or updating the game? I am using the client I used for the beta weekends; do I need to reinstall because I keep getting my update paused saying something is wrong with my connection even though there shouldn't be. @_@

Ezio

Got to play for about an hour yesterday. Created my ranger and I gotta say I'm loving it. Never played in any of the betas so this was my first time playing it. Saturday cannot come quick enough!

Proven

Is anyone having trouble patching or updating the game? I am using the client I used for the beta weekends; do I need to reinstall because I keep getting my update paused saying something is wrong with my connection even though there shouldn't be. @_@

Not sure what to tell you. Opening the client now leads to downloading what's either a massive update, or the progress bar is stuck at 0% while files are downloading. It also cleared my account name and password. Something is definitely up.

Try just leaving your client open for 15 minutes and see if anything changes.

Violet_0

Banned
GAF, help me out. I'm having a hard time deciding between professions. I'm stuck between the Mesmer, Necromancer and Elementalist.

Here, I made it easier for you. Do it like me and play both! Regarding Necromancer pets, you can pretty much ignore them if you want, they're not mandatory like Mesmer illusions. In fact, you're currently probably better off not using them at all.
--
I discovered that crit rifle Warrior is the ultimate bleed-stacking machine. My Necromancer can't stack bleeding on enemies half as efficiently as they do.

Also, I spend most of this beta test creating characters from all races and genders, but I nothing really came out of it. Charr, Norn and Humans (male) don't really appeal to me. Guess I'll have to be content with my current characters until they introduce new races.

Asura in Baseball Caps

heh, baseball caps were pretty much made for Asura

Ricker

The only thing bothering me right now is the e-mail verification thing...I got the e-mail after clicking send on the logging screen of the launcher but the e-mail says to click the link below to validate but it was not clickable so I copied and pasted the link in my adress bar and got an error page...next time I started the launcher I had the same message about sending an e-mail but cancelled and got in the game just fine...

I hope this doesn't mess me up for the head start.

Proven

The only thing bothering me right now is the e-mail verification thing...I got the e-mail after clicking send on the logging screen of the launcher but the e-mail says to click the link below to validate but it was not clickable so I copied and pasted the link in my adrees bar and got an error page...next time I started the launcher I had the same message about sending an e-mail but cancelled and got in the game just fine...

I hope this doesn't mess me up for the head start.

It won't. It's something that happened with a lot of people and the problem is on ArenaNet's end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom