• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalomonA

Doesn't sound right, but it depends on what all you maxed out. If you have supersampling enabled your GPU will probably buckle fairly regularly.

Yeah well I had _everything_ maxed out :p So yeah, that could've been the problem causing my fps to dip.

Tried the "recommended" new nvidia beta drivers aswell, but fuck it made my system randomly freeze so fuck that shit, going with old drivers till they release next whql, which would be in like 5 years or something...

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing bothering me right now is the e-mail verification thing...I got the e-mail after clicking send on the logging screen of the launcher but the e-mail says to click the link below to validate but it was not clickable so I copied and pasted the link in my adrees bar and got an error page...next time I started the launcher I had the same message about sending an e-mail but cancelled and got in the game just fine...

I hope this doesn't mess me up for the head start.

I didn't get a verification email at all, and now I'm afraid to change my Mail account now, because I'm in fear of needing another email for that I will probably never get either.

But I also fear I _have_ to change it at some point 'cause the verification isn't arriving.

Man :(

Proven

I repeat: there were verification email problems with everyone. A lot of people didn't get their emails, or even if they got their emails were able to log in with no problem.

For me, I got in right at 3pm EDT, didn't get my email, logged in anyway. Had a few crashes, logged back in without any more prompting for a verification email. Stress test ends at 9pm EDT, and at 9:03 EDT I finally get a verification email with a link that doesn't work.

There be problems.

Dunlop

I didn't get a verification email at all, and now I'm afraid to change my Mail account now, because I'm in fear of needing another email for that I will probably never get either.

But I also fear I _have_ to change it at some point 'cause the verification isn't arriving.

Man :(
Damn I just realized I didn't get one either

koji

The only thing bothering me right now is the e-mail verification thing...I got the e-mail after clicking send on the logging screen of the launcher but the e-mail says to click the link below to validate but it was not clickable so I copied and pasted the link in my adrees bar and got an error page...next time I started the launcher I had the same message about sending an e-mail but cancelled and got in the game just fine...

I hope this doesn't mess me up for the head start.

Bit messy indeed, had the thing with the broken link myself, but it did work after copying it. I was able to play just fine without doing the confirmation thing, did it before I went to bed.

A friend of mine wasn't able to log in for hours, he couldn't past the log in to actually be able to press PLAY, authentication mail also borked up and the game kept saying that he was trying to reset his password from that location, pissed him off good :lol

Yeah well I had _everything_ maxed out :p So yeah, that could've been the problem causing my fps to dip.

Is there an in-game setting for supersampling? Only saw FXAA in my AA settings in-game.
edit: looks like I've looked over it in the settings, hmm, that might be the source of my performance issues, might have been enabled using auto detect on my 580...

Can't wait for the GW2 tweaking and optimization thread that's bound to pop up after launch, bet it's going to be massive. :) (<3 PC GAF)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Anyone tried using pinnacle game profiler to play the game with a controller?

Was browsing when i came upon this profile: http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/pc-...ystick/xbox-360-ps3-psx-etc-gm/g/guild-wars-2

and it seems like a good config but i´m not sure how well a controller translates to playing an mmorpg.

Any opinions on this? and in the pinnacle software as well?

P.S Thinking on using my PS3 controller for this.
Hehe. I don't know anything about Pinnacle. But plenty of us use gamepads to play. Check out Weltall's guide in this thread and the configuration ideas that follow: http://gafguild.com/index.php?threads/controller-gaf-configs.52/

ACE 1991

So managed to register two guild wars 2 accounts somehow... Does anyone know how to tell if your account is able to participate in the head start? I can't figure out which of the two accounts is actually registered with the pre-purchase.

Dunlop

I had a blast becoming an immovable object on a objective switching between elixir, flamethrower and bombs (was just screwing around with different kits)

Sethos

Banned
Guys, what race do you recommend for playing melee? I went Charr/Warrior and it worked quite well.

Norn Warrior of course

ibwZlXaBzVAkE1.jpg

Meh. I keep flip-flopping about whether to get this game or not.

For:
Necromancer looks awesome - I miss the DoT and kite playstyle of my old Affliction 'lock in WoW.
Sylvari look awesome.
I'm seriously sick of two of the four wzs in SWTOR.
Not having to grind gear or PvE to PvP.
Doesn't cost anything beyond box price.

Against:
No trinity (I really love my current PvP healer main in SWTOR).
Nervous about some of the other mechanics (rolling about?) when combined with my clumsiness.
Time (Growing up sucks, why can't the world just pay me to play MMOs?).
PvP looks totally chaotic.

I basically know nothing about Guild Wars. How much appearance customisation is there? One of the things I really like about SWTOR is the orange customizable gear.

KiteGr

That sucked using double daggers as a Elementalist. Ride the lightning and the fire one teleported you far away from the target, but i mean, faaaar away. Was funny tho.

I had something similar with the Engineer I was using. Whenever I was using the Jump Shot skill with my rifle at some point, I was teleporting to a certain far away area on the map.
It was hilarious and sad at the same time, as I was instantly getting away from the action.

2San

Against:
No trinity (I really love my current PvP healer main in SWTOR).
Nervous about some of the other mechanics (rolling about?) when combined with my clumsiness.
Time (Growing up sucks, why can't the world just pay me to play MMOs?).
I also like the traditional trinity. Can't really comment on the mechanics and pvp, since I have yet to play it. Why is time an issue though? It's part of the reason why I'm drawn to this game. The whole goal of the is game is just to be fun from start to finish and even then getting to lvl 80 doesn't seem all that hard either. Arena PvP you can just play from the get go. Seeing as there's no monthly sub either, it seems perfect for casual play.

Time is an issue because of my massive SWTOR addiction! I get what you mean though - if this were a subscription or I had to grind my gear I wouldn't even give this a look!

Ms. Tea

sPvP is fantastic from what I've played, and I spent a bunch of time in it during the BWEs. With a good group of players together, it has a really good flow to it.

I basically know nothing about Guild Wars. How much appearance customisation is there? One of the things I really like about SWTOR is the orange customizable gear.

Not familiar with SWTOR. In GW2 armour customization is based around dying its colours. Armour usually has three colours which can be swapped individually. Any piece of armour or town clothes can be dyed for free, and you're free to change it up as often as you want. You start out with a common set of dyes, and can pick up more as you play; you get unlimited uses of a dye once you find one.

If you mean customizable gear as far as stats go, in GW2 you get runes which you can apply to your armor and weapons to give them additional bonus stats. The more runes of the same type you equip, you will usually get set bonuses for.

Here's the wiki on them: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rune

If you mean customizable as far as appearances go, you will be able to use transmutation stones to take any cosmetic appearance of an armor/weapon and apply it to the stats of any other armor/weapon of the same type (ie: heavy armor to heavy armor, swords to swords, etc).

Here's the wiki on transmutation stones: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Transmutation_Stone

sPvP is fantastic from what I've played, and I spent a bunch of time in it during the BWEs. With a good group of players together, it has a really good flow to it.

That's good to hear.

Not familiar with SWTOR. In GW2 armour customization is based around dying its colours. Armour usually has three colours which can be swapped individually. Any piece of armour or town clothes can be dyed for free, and you're free to change it up as often as you want. You start out with a common set of dyes, and can pick up more as you play; you get unlimited uses of a dye once you find one.

In SWTOR there are no dyes but there is a class of gear which you can rip all the stats out of and replace them. So for example, my main has full war hero gear (the current top PvP set) stats and bonuses but has an appearance that's entirely my own made up from bits I hunted down, crafted etc.

Dyes does sound pretty awesome though!

If you mean customizable as far as appearances go, you will be able to use transmutation stones to take any cosmetic appearance of an armor/weapon and apply it to the stats of any other armor/weapon of the same type (ie: heavy armor to heavy armor, swords to swords, etc).

Here's the wiki on transmutation stones: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Transmutation_Stone

That's exactly what I needed to know. Guess I'll be picking this up since it combined my two favourite things - PvP and dressing up my characters!

Retro

Addendum: there are over 400 dyes to unlock, weapon and armour models you like can be carried over to new items via Transmutation stones, and once you have exotic-quality gear, the rest of the "gear grind" at max level is almost entirely aesthetic, including some kick-ass, ultra rare legendary weapons.

That's exactly what I needed to know. Guess I'll be picking this up since it combined my two favourite things - PvP and dressing up my characters!

oh, one thing I forgot though...in sPvP you unlock new cosmetics by PvPing. None of the weapons/armor in sPvP have stats on them (only runes you apply to the weapons/armor, and I think one accessory you choose has stats), so no transmutation stones unnecessary. If you are solely sPvPing, you just wear what you want to wear (assuming you have it unlocked).

WvW pvp though is the same as PvE, and you can use transmutation stones as described inthe previous post.

JonCha

I tried it once and I felt like I was playing Quake.

What do you mean lol?

As the Rangers longbow continues to get nerfed, the Warriors bow is superior in damage imo.

As a warrior, I got both the instakill bug and the random warp bug, but at random times. And I'd still use it five minutes later anyway. Sigh. There were no problems with leaps in sPvP so it became hard to break out of the habit when I went to chase down friends in Norn country.

The fact that your 1 skill is a multi-hit and your 2 and 3 are AoE means that you gain adrenaline fast. They nerfed burst skills a bit, but the longbow can still be used for an ever-burning setup, making it one of my favorite weapons in the game. The 4 skill gives you a nice blind and the 5 skill is an immobilize, meaning I never needed Throw Bolas either. So useful. So wonderful. And the 3 skill is a blast finisher that can combo with your own fire field burst skill in order to give Area Might to yourself and allies. Thanks to the Longbow, I might not touch Ranger bows for months.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Ranger longbow seems more supportive, which is the way I like to play. Is Warrior an offensive version?

oh, one thing I forgot though...in sPvP you unlock new cosmetics by PvPing. None of the weapons/armor in sPvP have stats on them (only runes you apply to the weapons/armor, and I think one accessory you choose has stats), so no transmutation stones unnecessary. If you are solely sPvPing, you just wear what you want to wear (assuming you have it unlocked).

WvW pvp though is the same as PvE, and you can use transmutation stones as described inthe previous post.

Now I'm hyped.

ferr

Addendum: there are over 400 dyes to unlock, weapon and armour models you like can be carried over to new items via Transmutation stones, and once you have exotic-quality gear, the rest of the "gear grind" at max level is almost entirely aesthetic, including some kick-ass, ultra rare legendary weapons.

Maybe I played too much WoW and this concept is just foreign to me, but the gear grind ends *and* you continue playing? What for? Because it's fun or something? (weeeird)

Maybe I played too much WoW and this concept is just foreign to me, but the gear grind ends *and* you continue playing? What for? Because it's fun or something? (weeeird)

In my case it's probably because as a guy I didn't get to play with dolls as a kid, but dressing up my characters to look the way I want is massive part of the game for me. I've achieved that with my Operative, and am well on the way with my Powertech.

In spite of that I play my healing operative a lot in PvP still, because it's *fun*. I used to do the same with my 'lock in WoW, before they switched to small arenas for the best gear.

I like the Norn, but I don't like their starting area. Where do you go to do the human or Char starting area as Norn? Do we lose out at all by doing that?

There is an Asura Gate kinda on the westend of Hoelbrak (I think) which will take you to Lion's Arch. Then you can just run into the Divinity's Reach Asuran gate to do the human starter area stuff.

The only thing you'd miss (aside from the obvious missing that area's events) is your personal story....which would require you to go back to the Norn area to complete/start.

On this map: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/d/db/Hoelbrak_map.jpg the point of interest labeled "Petra's Gate" is the Asura gate to Lion's Arch.

Tried out Necromancer yesterday and got him to level 10. Didn't really like any of the weapons they had...

Tried it out when the character is automatically leveled to lvl 80 and it looks pretty badass with all the minions and the leech form. But again, their weapons just suck. What build is considered the best?

I'm not really sure if I want to roll a necro now, but at later levels they look pretty badass

There is an Asura Gate kinda on the north end of Hoelbrak (I think) which will take you to Lion's Arch. Then you can just run into the Divinity's Reach Asuran gate to do the human starter area stuff.

The only thing you'd miss (aside from the obvious missing that area's events) is your personal story....which would require you to go back to the Norn area to complete/start.

I see, thanks. I'll likely stick with Charr or Human warrior then.

Retro

We don't know much about the PVE endgame right now, other than it's supposed to be the same as what you've played from level 1; they don't pull the rug out from under you with a new game type like raiding.

There will be aesthetic gear to hunt down, like Legendary Weapons which are more than just run-of-the-mill models. One will turn your character to liquid metal, leaving droplets in your wake. Another is a bow that shoots rainbows. There are actually two greatswords, one that looks like Night and one that looks like Day (literally; the way they described them, looking through the model looks like a window) that can be combined somehow to form one super-sword.

We do know you can do sPVP and WvW to your heart's content (considering you're fighting humans who can always behave differently, they shouldn't ever get boring).

On top of that, ArenaNet has said that when the game goes live, they consider it a Service rather than a game; half of the development team will work on future expansions while the other half is the "live team" that works on adding lots of smaller stuff over time; new zones, dynamic events, dungeons, etc. Because of the de-leveling system, anything they add, even low-level stuff, is worth doing regardless of level, and will still offer you rewards and a challenge.

They've said "We want people to say that there is no game that gets better support than Guild Wars 2"... those are pretty strong words from a developer.

(You can hear more here, there are some audio issues but they fix quickly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIExN1GZK_Q)

Heartseeker on thief is a leap move, and whenever I used it I would warp back to some random place. In Eternal Battlegrounds, I warped all the way back to the borderlands in the middle of a battle.

I had the same problem. In the middle of combat it would warp me into some random building, several meters away or into an area so removed from the fight that I would be completely disoriented and have to find my way back.

Guild Wars 2, hurry up and launch so I stop reading some of the most idiotic arguments in other threads for games unrelated to you.

Please, GW2, save me ... you're my only hope ...

Forkball

The instanced PVP will keep people interested after they grind out what they want. The PVP and WvWvW is always dynamic and interesting, think of it as like picking up your favorite FPS and playing a few rounds. That was one of Diablo III buyers' major complaints right? That there was nothing to do after the loot grind?

Violet_0

Banned
Tried out Necromancer yesterday and got him to level 10. Didn't really like any of the weapons they had...

Tried it out when the character is automatically leveled to lvl 80 and it looks pretty badass with all the minions and the leech form. But again, their weapons just suck. What build is considered the best?

you suck

okay maybe some (most) of the Necro weapons do suck. Scepter is pretty much a must, unless they buff the other weapons.

We don't know much about the PVE endgame right now, other than it's supposed to be the same as what you've played from level 1; they don't pull the rug out from under you with a new game type like raiding.

There will be aesthetic gear to hunt down, like Legendary Weapons which are more than just run-of-the-mill models. One will turn your character to liquid metal, leaving droplets in your wake. Another is a bow that shoots rainbows. There are actually two greatswords, one that looks like Night and one that looks like Day (literally; the way they described them, looking through the model looks like a window) that can be combined somehow to form one super-sword.

We do know you can do sPVP and WvW to your heart's content (considering you're fighting humans who can always behave differently, they shouldn't ever get boring).

On top of that, ArenaNet has said that when the game goes live, they consider it a Service rather than a game; half of the development team will work on future expansions while the other half is the "live team" that works on adding lots of smaller stuff over time; new zones, dynamic events, dungeons, etc. Because of the de-leveling system, anything they add, even low-level stuff, is worth doing regardless of level, and will still offer you rewards and a challenge.

They've said "We want people to say that there is no game that gets better support than Guild Wars 2"... those are pretty strong words from a developer.

(You can hear more here, there are some audio issues but they fix quickly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIExN1GZK_Q)

With the game's "de-leveling" system, do you still get the drops and experience appropriate to your real level?

Retro

With the game's "de-leveling" system, do you still get the drops and experience appropriate to your real level?

Yes, but "A scaled down character continues to receive experience and loot that is 'good' for their real level, but it is somewhat less efficient for obtaining experience and items than playing level-appropriate content." But you're not penalized for going back to low-level areas to experience new content they add or play with a friend.

Still getting XP is important too, because at max level you still 'level up' and earn Skill Points, which turn into a kind of currency at max level that you can spend on, among other things, stuff for Legendary Weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom