• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jira

With the game's "de-leveling" system, do you still get the drops and experience appropriate to your real level?

Yep, the XP rates aren't 100% as efficient as doing stuff in a zone of your actual level, however, the amount of XP you get is never something like "That's it?". As for loot, you can find items 2-3 levels below your actual level at a drop rate that is obviously lower than killing even level mobs, but once again you'll still get them.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
you suck

okay maybe some (most) of the Necro weapons do suck. Scepter is pretty much a must, unless they buff the other weapons.

Dagger is pretty good now and axe is good for burst damage, especially with well builds.

chiablo

Wow many thanks for this, sounds very interesting and fun to play!

I was bored with the Engineer in BW3.

I felt my damage was pathetic compared to other classes in WvW, and only having two weapons that are nearly identical in function (pistol vs. rifle) felt really limited. When you get some of the kits, it gets better, but some are just laughably bad. The grenade and flamethrower kits seem to be the only ones worthwhile. I can't see a single use for the bomb kit in PvP because the bombs are on such a short timer that they are essentially a melee weapon. I wish the bomb kit was a mine kit so that you could use some strategy with their deployment.

Norn Warrior of course

ibwZlXaBzVAkE1.jpg

Holy shit, where can I get that armour? haha

Xiaoki

Maybe I played too much WoW and this concept is just foreign to me, but the gear grind ends *and* you continue playing? What for? Because it's fun or something? (weeeird)

Its mainly about getting the set with the stat distribution that is most optimal to what you want. The top end gear has 3 stats and are always distributed the same.

So, you will have power/crit/crit damage on one set and power/health/damage reduction on another set. If you want a full set of the power/crit/crit damage gear you can get it.

Lastly, dont worry about getting the armor and having nothing to do, these sets take a LOT of grinding to get no matter how you get them.

I remember someone complaining that the armor you get from WvWvW badges is so expensive that if he leveled from 1-80 doing nothing but WvWvW he would not have enough badges to get 1 piece of gear.

alazz

Probably not the right OT but the GW one seems forgotten. Is anyone interested in doing Glint's Challenge and The Shadow Nexus later this morning or week?

Five or six additional hero armors and an oppressor's are my last two points to 30.

There will be aesthetic gear to hunt down, like Legendary Weapons which are more than just run-of-the-mill models. One will turn your character to liquid metal, leaving droplets in your wake. Another is a bow that shoots rainbows. There are actually two greatswords, one that looks like Night and one that looks like Day (literally; the way they described them, looking through the model looks like a window) that can be combined somehow to form one super-sword.

Man, those Greatswords sound pretty damn sweet. As for the rest of your post: I love ANet.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
did they change anything about the dagger or axe skills since BWE3?

Axe not too much, but they have upped the damage of the dagger quite a bit since bwe3. Also, life siphon's range was doubled recently. There were a lot of changes in the 8/15 stress test and yesterday's stress test.

Violet_0

Banned
Axe not too much, but they have upped the damage of the dagger quite a bit since bwe3. Also, life siphon's range was doubled recently. There were a lot of changes in the 8/15 stress test and yesterday's stress test.

ah, good to hear, thanks. I'm going experiment a bit with my Necro weapons, then.

Is there any reason to not play a warrior?

no pets. If they had pets, we wouldn't need the Ranger.

Arksy

I felt my damage was pathetic compared to other classes in WvW, and only having two weapons that are nearly identical in function (pistol vs. rifle) felt really limited. When you get some of the kits, it gets better, but some are just laughably bad. The grenade and flamethrower kits seem to be the only ones worthwhile. I can't see a single use for the bomb kit in PvP because the bombs are on such a short timer that they are essentially a melee weapon. I wish the bomb kit was a mine kit so that you could use some strategy with their deployment.

I don't even know where to begin. Your single target damage with either pistol or rifle is quite high. Elixir gun build is also viable for an anti-condition build. The turrets have been buffed and Bomb kit is an amazing choice for capture denial in sPVP. Same with the mine kit or whatever they replaced it with.

eznark

Banned
So, I preordered and am completely pumped to play on Friday. No idea why, I never played the first or anything but I am hyped.

Is there like a primer I can read or a forum thread for newbs that would get me prepped?

FinKL

Played it for an hour for the first time yesterday, (don't try putting in your serial during the start of a Stress test =/)

Need 24/7 stress test now! I'll have to play Guardian since I played Monk in GW1.

Dunlop

Still no verification e-mail (apparently it was sent out later for a lot of people), and issue could be that I used this e-mail account when I played GW1 (also City of Heroes) a million years ago and apparently there is some kind of @ncsoft account created?

I could change my default email but with no active session to test it I could fuck myself for launch

what do I do...WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!?!?!

3AQmK.gif

Proven

Interesting. Ranger longbow seems more supportive, which is the way I like to play. Is Warrior an offensive version?
I'd say the Ranger longbow is about calmly staying out of the battle, keeping your foes at bay while dealing heavy damage anyway, as the the Ranger longbow gets a damage bonus at max range.

The Warrior longbow is about fire and explosions and pain. Although it still can be played from a distance, when necessary, it feels more like a mid-range weapon. You still may want to stay out of your enemy's line of sight, but your AoE combos ain't going to hit them from max range. The Warrior's max range weapon is more the rifle.

Then the Ranger has a shortbow, which is specifically designed as a mid-range flanking and skirmishing weapon. So the Ranger gets a bit of both worlds, with the shortbow having more kiting ability than the Warrior's longbow, but less direct damage.

Another way to look at it is, the Warrior is all about adrenaline. The Ranger is about not getting hit and killing you while you flail helplessly. So are you more of an assault rifleman (Warrior) or a sniper (Ranger)?

Jeff25987

Neo Member
A little confused about the guild system in this game. I recently read that you can be in more than one guild? This was good news because i didn't want to dissapoint my guild from my former MMO thats moving to guild wars, but also was looking forward to being in a bigger guild like GafGuild. I understand you can choose which guild you want to represent at any given time and any reputation earned goes to that one...but how does this take into account your home server? Can you still do pve stuff with people on different servers and server only matters for WvWvW? Confused.

Proven

Still no verification e-mail (apparently it was sent out later for a lot of people), and issue could be that I used this e-mail account when I played GW1 (also City of Heroes) a million years ago and apparently there is some kind of @ncsoft account created?

I could change my default email but with no active session to test it I could fuck myself for launch

what do I do...WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!?!?!

3AQmK.gif
My first thought is to tell you not to worry. My second thought is to tell you that my verification email arrived close to 4am last night, and even hours later the verification link worked. But still, don't worry.

I will tell you that with a lot of the changes with the Engineer, it finally clicked for me that having a bomb as its symbol makes sense.

JonCha

A little confused about the guild system in this game. I recently read that you can be in more than one guild? This was good news because i didn't want to dissapoint my guild from my former MMO thats moving to guild wars, but also was looking forward to being in a bigger guild like GafGuild. I understand you can choose which guild you want to represent at any given time and any reputation earned goes to that one...but how does this take into account your home server? Can you still do pve stuff with people on different servers and server only matters for WvWvW? Confused.

You have to be on the same server to do WvW stuff. You can just guest on a server to do PvE.

I have paid no attention to this game at all and have little idea about the game beyond that's an MMO without a sub fee...but I want it for some reason.

I'm torn between reading up on the game and buying it or making the sane choice not buying now because classes are starting up soon.

I am in the exact same position. I haven't looked at this game once until today when I saw this OT, and now suddenly I really want it. Of course, classes start on monday so why am I even considering it? Oh yeah, cus this game looks awesome.

Akzo

Neo Member
Is the version released on the 25th (or 28th) going to be identical to what we've been playing the last few BWEs?

I enjoyed the game but I'm hoping for more tutorializing and context.

There is something to be said for figuring things out as you go, but I found the game crazy confusing.

Jira

Here's the deal with the verification:

It's not required to login, but is mainly used to give you peace of mind knowing that IF another IP logs into your account, you'll need to enter a code or click a link from your email to allow access. So if you still haven't got the email, once we get to play again be sure to just have it sent when you click Login.

Jira

Is the version released on the 25th (or 28th) going to be identical to what we've been playing the last few BWEs?

I enjoyed the game but I'm hoping for more tutorializing and context.

There is something to be said for figuring things out as you go, but I found the game crazy confusing.

At this point we don't know. ANet is going to finish up pushing out the assets in the next 2 days or so, but will likely be working up till the last few hours with smaller build changes just because their infrastructure allows them to.

Proven

Only limitation: You need to have a friend (probably online) to get to that server. Bad news though, guesting will be disabled for a while at launch. There will be free server transfers though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
For Canadians; Trade 2 for GWII happening this weekend at Futureshop. Qualifying list won't be out until Friday, but it has the chance to be a really good deal for those that haven't pre-ordered.

Dunlop

Here's the deal with the verification:

It's not required to login, but is mainly used to give you peace of mind knowing that IF another IP logs into your account, you'll need to enter a code or click a link from your email to allow access. So if you still haven't got the email, once we get to play again be sure to just have it sent when you click Login.

thanks!! So I will leave it as is until after the launch

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Savage Leap had a hilarious bug during yesterday's stress test. Whenever I would do it, everyone would disappear, and upon landing, I would suddenly suffer a heart attack and die.

Not the most useful weapon skill.

Anyone tried using pinnacle game profiler to play the game with a controller?

Was browsing when i came upon this profile: http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/pc-...ystick/xbox-360-ps3-psx-etc-gm/g/guild-wars-2

and it seems like a good config but i´m not sure how well a controller translates to playing an mmorpg.

Any opinions on this? and in the pinnacle software as well?

P.S Thinking on using my PS3 controller for this.

OK, quite a lot of stuff to comment here.

1) Thanks a lot for the contribution! That profile has a lot of great ideas; interestingly, we arrived at some of them independently; for example, I'm currently exploring a "hold button for mouse mode" configuration, and I swear I got the idea all by myself. :D It still has some neat ideas, so I'd beg you to post it in the GAFGuild controller thread:
http://www.gafguild.com/index.php?threads/controller-gaf-configs.52/

2) I actually tried Pinnacle Profiler not too long ago (too eagerly, I started my one month trial well before GW2's launch, so I could only use it for one of the BWEs), and, as its name seems to imply, it is, for me, the best controller profiler in the market. In fact, that one profile above is not possible with, say, XPadder (what we mostly use in the thread). That said, Pinnacle Profiler is somewhat expensive, while the version of XPadder we use is totally free (XPadder did become non-free starting with the next version to that one). In the end, I decided to concentrate my efforts on XPadder so that more people could benefit from them, but I do miss Pinacle's utility sometimes, so I've considered buying it.

3) I can, however, see a couple of problems with that profile. For example, the face buttons act as 1,2,3 abilities when tapped, but as 7,8,9 when held. Problem is, some 1,2,3 abilities require you to hold the key (case in point, trebuchets). Also, he has "hold RB/LB" bound to "select target"; that seems really cumbersome, as you need to switch between them quickly.

4) You might want to keep an eye on the thread, perhaps download the bundle I prepared and read the descriptions of some of the configurations provided, see if you like them as well. Remember, everything in the bundle is free.

Time is an issue because of my massive SWTOR addiction! I get what you mean though - if this were a subscription or I had to grind my gear I wouldn't even give this a look!

If you were so happy with TOR, you wouldn't find solace in another MMO. I think we both know this. :(

I don't know if anyone else realized this, but one of the sylvari faces bugged me for the longest time before I realized that the model was based off Audrey Hepburn.

http://www.arena.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/AudreySeries.jpg

That's not only awesome by itself, it makes my plan to name my female Sylvari "Audrey" even more funny. The funny part, of course, being that it's a completely different reference.

Yeah well I had _everything_ maxed out :p So yeah, that could've been the problem causing my fps to dip.

Actually, I wouldn't bother to lower anything except perhaps shadows; it tends not to do a thing (but feel free to experiment; GW2 is very friendly int hat regard as changes are applied immediately and you have a FPS counter right there).

vaelic

Banned
hey all, I am coming in blind to GW2. I have never played the beta and rarely watched any videos.

I normally play a tank type class in MMOs. Which role do you think best suits me?

thanks!

Kem0sabe

OK, quite a lot of stuff to comment here.

1) Thanks a lot for the contribution! That profile has a lot of great ideas; interestingly, we arrived at some of them independently; for example, I'm currently exploring a "hold button for mouse mode" configuration, and I swear I got the idea all by myself. :D It still has some neat ideas, so I'd beg you to post it in the GAFGuild controller thread:
http://www.gafguild.com/index.php?threads/controller-gaf-configs.52/

2) I actually tried Pinnacle Profiler not too long ago (too eagerly, I started my one month trial well before GW2's launch, so I could only use it for one of the BWEs), and, as its name seems to imply, it is, for me, the best controller profiler in the market. In fact, that one profile above is not possible with, say, XPadder (what we mostly use in the thread). That said, Pinnacle Profiler is somewhat expensive, while the version of XPadder we use is totally free (XPadder did become non-free starting with the next version to that one). In the end, I decided to concentrate my efforts on XPadder so that more people could benefit from them, but I do miss Pinacle's utility sometimes, so I've considered buying it.

3) I can, however, see a couple of problems with that profile. For example, the face buttons act as 1,2,3 abilities when tapped, but as 7,8,9 when held. Problem is, some 1,2,3 abilities require you to hold the key (case in point, trebuchets). Also, he has "hold RB/LB" bound to "select target"; that seems really cumbersome, as you need to switch between them quickly.

4) You might want to keep an eye on the thread, perhaps download the bundle I prepared and read the descriptions of some of the configurations provided, see if you like them as well. Remember, everything in the bundle is free.

Awesome, thanks for all the info. Any trouble with a PS3 controller with xpadder? i have mine running perfectly while emulating a 360 controller, playing Sleeping Dogs that is, haven´t tried it on mmo´s.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
hey all, I am coming in blind to GW2. I have never played the beta and rarely watched any videos.

I normally play a tank type class in MMOs. Which role do you think best suits me?

thanks!

There is no holy trinity in GW2, so there are no tanks.

But if you're looking for a protective melee class, Guardian might be your speed. That said, almost every other class might be your speed too.

BusterBrown

Neo Member
Nailed down that I am 100% playing an engineer, had a blast in sPVP..now I have to go nuts choosing between Asura and Human

Asura - Awesome story line, animation
Human - Much more detail on character model due to larger size

I'm having the exact same problem, but with a mesmer.

I think I'm going to go with the smallest and more muscular human setting. I played with it a bit last night and as far as weapon/armor skins go, seems to be a good fit.

I really am going to miss the asura animations though =/ Will save it for an alt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom