• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinKL

I think the secret to Guild Wars 2 is to play one of the generic "do everything awesome" classes like Warrior or Elementalist. Then once you have that down, you can play some of the crappy classes, like Engineer, Necro, or Ranger... and just play a Warrior or Elementalist forever.

What.

I mean I realize all classes can do everything but they each have a different way of doing it. I'm sure we'll see constant fluxes of nerfs/buffs especially GW1 skills changed pretty rapidly at the childhood state of the game

And to zlatko, I'm sure you can't get a key if you don't "pre-purchase"

Lurk in mumble waiting for game to go up
Reserve character names
Sleep
Wake up and play

That is my plan.

My plan for this Friday night is...

- Make tons of coffee
- Hang out on Mumble and spam the log in key
- Play till I fall asleep on my keyboard
- Sleep a few hours
- Wake up and play even more
- Never leave the house!!!!

zlatko

Banned
What.

I mean I realize all classes can do everything but they each have a different way of doing it. I'm sure we'll see constant fluxes of nerfs/buffs especially GW1 skills changed pretty rapidly at the childhood state of the game

And to zlatko, I'm sure you can't get a key if you don't "pre-purchase"

Yeah I'm unsure how it works for the pre order of this game. It would only make sense you have to fully pay off the game right? Most of the time with Gstop pre orders, if you opt to not get the game after it releases, then you can just transfer your pre order bucks to something else in the store or another pre order.

Just trying to make sure I can still pre order it, play beta, then just get the game later on or pass the money onto a different pre order.

Edit: NVM. Just looked at the fine details at Gamestop's website and you DO have to pay in full on pre order to get the code for the goodies.

Emitan

My plan for this Friday night is...

- Make tons of coffee
- Hang out on Mumble and spam the log in key
- Play till I fall asleep on my keyboard
- Sleep a few hours
- Wake up and play even more
- Never leave the house!!!!
Never leave the house is my plan every day!

:(

I'm content with the fact I will grow up to be a crazy cat lady.

Your dual core is really hurting you. But yeah upgrade ASAP as you said.

Yeah, it's the biggest bottleneck I have. Unfortunately I think the best chip I can upgrade too is a Q6600 on my current mobo and that's just pointless.

Have a i5-3570, 8Gb DDR3 1600, and a ASrock Z77 mobo all lined up and ready to "ADD TO CART" once I get back from vacation. But I really have to see how much I spend on vaca before I make any purchases.

The girlfriend wasn't all that happy with the G13 but I fooled her into thinking she could use it for her design needs (like I'll leave the PC once this launches, silly lady).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I really hope they optimize the engine some more. I was still getting some bad framerate issues during the last stress test, and changing options did nothing.

Sethos

Banned
Had this movie idea in my head that I always wanted to do at the start of an MMO. Record a lot of footage from creation of the character, starting area, at every level-up, PvP action, the feel of going from weak to strong in a sort of montage fashion. Then you realize you probably don't have those insane editing skills needed and it's a pretty major undertaking :( Doubt my hours in Sony Vegas will do this project justice.

Grokbu

This will be so good!

Can't wait for Saturday to arrive. According to my calculations, the servers will open 8:00am here in Sweden (though I guess it's not completely impossible that they'll open a couple hours early). So it'll be nice to wake up and be able to play all day.

Gonna roll a Sylvari Engineer, the best mix of them all.

Bring it!

LaneDS

How many character slots do we get by default?

Are all those characters tied to your initial world choice, or can you have characters spread out over multiple worlds?

inky

How many character slots do we get by default?

Are all those characters tied to your initial world choice, or can you have characters spread out over multiple worlds?

5 slots, all to the same world. If you have a friend in other worlds you can guest there, but not WvW.

Coolwhip

Banned
Is anyone else struggling to get used to how floaty and sluggy GW2 plays compared to games like World of Warcraft? For some reason it just doesn't feel as responsive in both gameplay or camera control.

Emitan

Every day that isn't Friday feels so... pointless. What's the point? It's just standing in between me and Guild Wars 2.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I really hope they optimize the engine some more. I was still getting some bad framerate issues during the last stress test, and changing options did nothing.

The way the game is still CPU bottlenecked right now gives serious lie to their claims of a low entry barrier to get GW1 people on board. Even if you turn all the pretty stuff off, the game isn't playable on 'entry level' computers. Or even systems that run other current games decently.

Kayo-kun

I can't decide if I should start off as a Norn, Human or Charr. The thing that I am sure of is that my first class will be a warrior. The dilemma I am having is that;

I believe that the Norn look ugly, but seems to have a great backstory and starting area.
Humans look good, but seem to have a boring backstory and a meh starting area.
The Charr seem to have a boring starting area and backstory, but they look awesome.

:/

Sethos

Banned
Is anyone else struggling to get used to how floaty and sluggy GW2 plays compared to games like World of Warcraft? For some reason it just doesn't feel as responsive in both gameplay or camera control.

Yeah, that was / is my main concern. Just has that floaty feel plus the animations can look a bit off at times, you get that vibe from those generic looking MMOs that hit the market every once and awhile. However I'm trying to look past that and hopefully get used to it, I've honestly gotten used to worse. World of Warcraft did indeed have a bit more direct feeling, the feeling of them connecting with the ground a bit more rather than two separate entities rubbing against each other.

B00TE

Every day that isn't Friday feels so... pointless. What's the point? It's just standing in between me and Guild Wars 2.

It gives you time to put your affairs in order, of course.

Was surprised at myself during the test yesterday, any attempt to try another class ended with me going "this isn't my charr" and hopping right back on him. This bodes well, I may end up sticking to one character for once!

Violet_0

Banned
I can't decide if I should start off as a Norn, Human or Charr./

forget about starting zones, every race can freely travel between each zone.

Just do the initial quest, go into the menu, select the PvP tab at the bottom of the character screen, click the "Go to the Heart to the Mist" button, skip the PvP tutorial by going straight to the portal at the center of the map, then go through the Lion's Arch portal. From there, you can go to every city and starting zone

ferr

I was bored with the Engineer in BW3.

I felt my damage was pathetic compared to other classes in WvW, and only having two weapons that are nearly identical in function (pistol vs. rifle) felt really limited. When you get some of the kits, it gets better, but some are just laughably bad. The grenade and flamethrower kits seem to be the only ones worthwhile. I can't see a single use for the bomb kit in PvP because the bombs are on such a short timer that they are essentially a melee weapon. I wish the bomb kit was a mine kit so that you could use some strategy with their deployment.

What classes were dominating in damage in WvW?

inky

Do you have all you character names ready? Do you know what they will look like? Do you know what path you are taking the first time you login? Do you know how crafting and cooking work? Do you know what special armor set you want to go for first? Do you know where very jumping puzzle is (general idea)? Have you payed your bills in advance so when you come out from your house 2 months from now everything is taken care of?

Do you know there are other games to play :p?

What classes were dominating in damage in WvW?

In my experience, warrior, thief, ele. Although thief was more DoT.

So... Are there 'cheap' skill resets or w/e?

Also. If I wanna play a class with swag armor and can hit stuff hard. What should I roll?

Can you tank in this game the traditional way of aggro management?

Actually... I just want to shield bash folks. I guess I should roll guardian or warrior?

Game is confusing my mmo tuned brain :(

Raknar

Neo Member

I know what you mean about the camera. It just feels like there's a slight delay between you attempting to move the camera and it actually doing so.

It's something I adjusted to after several hours though.

TheExodu5

Banned

Gotta turn off vsync, sadly. =\

Input lag is pretty bad with vsync on compared to WoW.

Einbroch

Banned
Am I the only one going in almost completely blind? Since there is no traditional endgame, there's no rush to max level. I played maybe two hours between all the betas and want to be surprised when the game comes out. All this planning and researching just seems completely backwards to me. I miss the days of EQ when everything was a mystery and nothing was known.

Do you have all you character names ready? Do you know what they will look like? Do you know what path you are taking the first time you login? Do you know how crafting and cooking work? Do you know what special armor set you want to go for first? Do you know where very jumping puzzle is (general idea)? Have you payed your bills in advance so when you come out from your house 2 months from now everything is taken care of?

But I wanna figure all this stuff out in-game! That's why I agree with him. Mon-Thur of this week are just fluff.

Am I the only one going in almost completely blind? Since there is no traditional endgame, there's no rush to max level. I played maybe two hours between all the betas and want to be surprised when the game comes out. All this planning and researching just seems completely backwards to me. I miss the days of EQ when everything was a mystery and nothing was known.
This guy knows what's up :).

Absolutely no rush what so ever.

Kayo-kun

forget about starting zones, every race can freely travel between each zone.

Just do the initial quest, go into the menu, select the PvP tab at the bottom of the character screen, click the "Go to the Heart to the Mist" button, skip the PvP tutorial by going straight to the portal at the center of the map, then go through the Lion's Arch portal. From there, you can go to every city and starting zone

I don't have the game yet. I've pre-ordered it from the store and will recieve it (hopefully) during the 29th :)

So you can change your starting location quite fast huh? But if I've understood everything correctly, every race has their own backstory and tutorial levels, am I right? Also, how long are these sections of the game? Will every race have their own end game bosses or will the race specific quests/missions not matter later on in the game?

I am sorry if I ask too many questions, but I am getting really excited waiting for the game and you guys seem to have alot of knowledge having participated in the beta. I mostly want to start off with the race that probably have the most significant backstory. I am sure that I'll eventually try out every single one of the races that I've mentioned.

inky

But I wanna figure all this stuff out in-game! That's why I agree with him. Mon-Thur of this week are just fluff.

Well, I went in completely blind last time and couldn't figure out how crafting worked =( efficiently anyway. I didn't even touch cooking. Plus nothing about what I said is really super spoiling you, I'd like to know where cool armor sets can be had to just go in that general direction, I don't want to map out my level experience from 1 to 80. (I've played this game for about 60 hrs already, I know how some stuff works/where it is :p)

Torraz

I never got to play Necromancer during on the the betas. Could anyone compare that class, or link me to some resources that do, with Elementalist?

Yeah, one of my biggest problems with the game is how "floaty" everything feels. Increasing camera sensitivity helps with the camera movement, but I can't say that I really have an issue with response times.

Violet_0

Banned
So you can change your starting location quite fast huh? But if I've understood everything correctly, every race has their own backstory and tutorial levels, am I right? Also, how long are these sections of the game? Will every race have their own end game bosses or will the race specific quests/missions not matter later on in the game?

yeah, every race has a short mandatory introduction quests that takes about 5 minutes, then you're free to go wherever you want. Every race also has 3 unique personal story lines (more about this in OP)

another, possibly easier way to quickly get to Lion's Arch (where all the portals to the other cities are located) is to finish the tutorial quest, head to your race's capitol which is usually located directly behind your starting position, then find and go through the portal to Lion's Arch there

Proven

Because one day I will have 5 cats and be that crazy lady on TV. With 50 cats. All named after Charr.
Train them to be like dogs like I do for my cat. Then let them out of the house and have then roam as a war band.

The way the game is still CPU bottlenecked right now gives serious lie to their claims of a low entry barrier to get GW1 people on board. Even if you turn all the pretty stuff off, the game isn't playable on 'entry level' computers. Or even systems that run other current games decently.
To be fair, most computers that have trouble with games are ones that have no discreet GPU and just a decent dual core CPU. Maybe an integrated graphics card or driver for laptops. Focusing on the CPU is how you reach out for the lowest common denominator; it's only gamers that get good GPUs, so that's why they were optimized for last.

Guesong

I'm sorry if it's somewhere in this thread and I'm just blind, but does anyone have a link to the chart that was posted in the previous thread about PvP/PvE/sPvP player activity and all per server?

Still trying to find a good server for me and my friends that won't be absolutely bad in WvW but also not so overcroweded that we'll be always in Overflow at launch.

This... sounds bad :( after this long they didn't notice this/find a fix?

Hopefully that will be patched or is that just the way it feels then since that was one of my main gripes with a lot of those "generic" or F2P MMOs oftentimes..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom