• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Don't open your 5 Bags of Loot. It's based off of Magic Find right now instead of just straight exotics. They are going to fix it.

inky

Too late.

Edit: I hope there is at least some form of compensation. Pretty shitty to lose out on 5 exotics due to this. I'm done for the day, everything is broken left and right, dungeons, events, loot, etc.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
So almost all of the big sites have released their GW2 reviews. I expect a metacritic of 91% or so.

Sadly, I'm still working on mine and I'll most likely have it by the end of the week if you guys care for it.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Completely agree. Also, the bag of 'loot' was embarrassing...had to be a bug.

Some guy on our run got a "Bag of Gold" from a mob. He was raging in Mumble when he only received 20 copper from it.

inky

Some guy on our run got a "Bag of Gold" from a mob. He was raging in Mumble when he only received 20 copper from it.

That's the amount of gold we got today from beating bosses in 2 dungeons. Level 60 and 70ish respectively. The chest rewards and money rewards for doing most of the stuff are a complete joke, and it's weird compared to 100%ing zones for example.

Don't open your 5 Bags of Loot. It's based off of Magic Find right now instead of just straight exotics. They are going to fix it.
Whoa, that's bad...any timetable? Was thinking of completing the personal quests today...

And yeah, I'd hope the exotics are given retroactively to people affected. :/

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Someone did a thing with the servers here: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/61872-server-ranks-na/
Hedge is on a tier of their own (of course) with Stormbluff ranked below. Keep in mind it might be some Pachter-esque analysis here so YMMV.

Oh, sweet. Thanks. I was just wondering why everyone kept saying that Stormbluff was a "top ranked" server because I haven't seen any official statistics or anything on the matter. I've known we've done well in WvW but I just didn't see anything official about total server standings.

Giard

Stupid question time: Let's say I equip the same weapons in both my weapon sets. Will they share their cooldowns, or will I be able to use the skills twice as often?

scosher

Not sure what this tanking phantasm mesmer build that was talked about a few pages ago, but if you want to play a mesmer with good burst, I've been running one that's a lot of fun while still having great survivability.

Sword/Pistol
Greatsword

Utilities are: Null Field, Decoy, Blink

ZERO Condition damage. Gear mostly for crit and crit damage, and some power.

20 Domination (Greatsword talent + 20% Mind Wrack dmg)
30 Dueling (Sword and Pistol talents, Create a clone on dodge)
10 Chaos (+3% reduced damage per illusion)
10 Inspiration (Shattering illusions grant you vigor)

Bolded the two abilities that are key and have amazing synergy. You get near 100% uptime on Vigor, and can keep pumping out clones with each dodge. You can survive groups of 3-4, and even if you can't kill any of them, you'll frustrate them enough to the point that they ignore cap objectives to chase the mesmer. You also have two stun breaks in Decoy and Blink (and another get out of jail card in Mass Invis if you choose that).

With this build, I've bursted some of the squishier classes like Eles and Thieves (and taken others to less than 50%), while still having access to Mesmer's ridiculous survivability and stealth/chaos tools. Basically, poke an enemy with Greatsword 2 and 4 from range, then once they close in or you can guarantee they're out of endurance, use 5 for the Knockback. Immediately switch to Pistol for the 5 stun while they're getting up, drop a Null Field on top of them (strips their boons and combos for Chaos Armor), and use Illusionary Leap (Sword 3) to immobilize the enemy in the field. Then finish with Sword 2 + 3-clone Mind Wrack for the blow-up. Immediately after, you can dodge out of the way, pooping out another clone and use your daze shatter to interrupt any heal or ability.

Those pictures look like a painting. I really gotta explore Timberline Falls, but I know it's not going to look as good as those pictures. Q_Q
Timberline Falls + SweetFX = mmm
That sweet fx tweek that was posted makes the game look fucking amazing. I was thinking man if only this game had some of tera's color pallet WELL BAM IT DOES NOW
Glad you guys are enjoying it. I know I am! It really does fix a lot of what makes the game seem visually boring to me otherwise (the ambient occlusion helps with the rest, though it sucks that it shows up through fog).

Here, have some screenies (some re-posts if you follow the high-res screenshot thread)
Screenshot399144.png

Screenshot29196.png

Screenshot184739.png

Screenshot1006233.png

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I just discovered how incredibly useful Armorsmithing and Jeweler can be as a Guardian. Being able to craft gear that is actually pertinent to my level is a HUGE change from any other MMO I've ever played. It's refreshing to know that the work I'm spending on crafting is worth my time. Nothing feels better than getting a new set of armor put together that I made myself (and not having to smash the never ending loot pinata for).

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Glad you guys are enjoying it. I know I am! It really does fix a lot of what makes the game seem visually boring to me otherwise (the ambient occlusion helps with the rest, though it sucks that it shows up through fog).

Wait, wait, wait, wait. Hold the phone. Hold the freakin' phone. There's a tweak you can do to make it like that? I must have missed it through this thread. I'm going to go look for it right now because I want the game looking like that.

Spazznid

Here, have some screenies (some re-posts if you follow the high-res screenshot thread)

I love guild wars' art team and the game has some REALLY beautiful moments. I can't seem to grasp why it gets so much hate in the High-res thread. I mean, a lot of the guys in there seem really stuck up about what they dislike. Anything with enb is automatically ridiculed along with certain games like GW2.

Anyways, 400 Tailoring FTW.
Now to make gossamer crap.... :_(

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yay, level 80!
After reaching it I went to TP and bought rares for all my slots for 2g total. Hope it wasn't a really stupid decision. Now to transmute the stuff using the 10 stones I've got from a bl chest.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I just discovered how incredibly useful Armorsmithing and Jeweler can be as a Guardian. Being able to craft gear that is actually pertinent to my level is a HUGE change from any other MMO I've ever played. It's refreshing to know that the work I'm spending on crafting is worth my time. Nothing feels better than getting a new set of armor put together that I made myself (and not having to smash the never ending loot pinata for).

Oh, the reality that will hit soon...

Ken

Yay, level 80!
After reaching it I went to TP and bought rares for all my slots for 2g total. Hope it wasn't a really stupid decision. Now to transmute the stuff using the 10 stones I've got from a bl chest.

Now you can begin your search for exotics.

Oh, the reality that will hit soon...

Why? I'm thinking about going armorsmith on my warrior so I don't have to rely on the TP for my crafted exotics like on my last character.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Now you can begin your search for exotics.

Why? I'm thinking about going armorsmith on my warrior so I don't have to rely on the TP for my crafted exotics like on my last character.
Exotics? Meh, now I can finally complete the rest of the puzzles and 100% all the zones!
And of course exp mode dungeons with you, awesome people <3

Piecake

Question for all you rifle/grenade engineers out there (PvE). What build are you guys running?

Right now im running a 30 power/20 precision/20 tool kit (eventually). I am damn squishy atm, but will stack vit and toughness on my gear once i hit 80.

Not really a huge fan of any of our heals, honetly. Elixir was probably my fav, but thats out the window now that im not specced into aclhmeny. med kit is just a pain, and healing turret doesnt do enough heals

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

Looking around the net, I'm probably one of the few suckers having problems with this, but the blue mat requirements for insignias are just stupid. As in, the amount. I'm 125 Armorsmithing and I have insignias that require 12-15 of a blue mat to craft just one.

That's wy I asked the guy with 400 armorsmithing which darklord he prayed to so I can join him. I don't want to farm so I'm pretty boned.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Exotics? Meh, now I can finally complete the rest of the puzzles and 100% all the zones!
And of course exp mode dungeons with you, awesome people <3

You're in luck, because dungeons are a great way to get exotic dungeon gear.

Piecake

You're in luck, because dungeons are a great way to get exotic dungeon gear.

How long does it take to get the exotics? (how many dungeon runs about). I remember seeing it cost quite a few tokens to get one piece of an exotic, but wasnt sure how many tokens you get in a run

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
How long does it take to get the exotics? (how many dungeon runs about). I remember seeing it cost quite a few tokens to get one piece of an exotic, but wasnt sure how many tokens you get in a run

I think it was like 25-35 per run, exotic pieces cost a few hundred? I may be making that up, but that's what comes to mind...

Jack_AG

Banned
Stupid question time: Let's say I equip the same weapons in both my weapon sets. Will they share their cooldowns, or will I be able to use the skills twice as often?
Shared cooldown. Would be ridiculously overpowered with some weapons otherwise.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm at level 40 and haven't even done/seen a dungeon yet. I must be going to the wrong areas.
I've done them all except for the lv 80 one. Some of them were fun, some not so much. The Norn lv 76 one was bugged to hell and back for example...

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Looking around the net, I'm probably one of the few suckers having problems with this, but the blue mat requirements for insignias are just stupid. As in, the amount. I'm 125 Armorsmithing and I have insignias that require 12-15 of a blue mat to craft just one.

That's wy I asked the guy with 400 armorsmithing which darklord he prayed to so I can join him. I don't want to farm so I'm pretty boned.

It's not just you. Rare mats are pretty scarce in the game and cost an obscene amount on the TP. It's sort of ridiculous.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It's not just you. Rare mats are pretty scarce in the game and cost an obscene amount on the TP. It's sort of ridiculous.

Had my first loot-rare drop from one of those random lootbags you get from enemies, at level 40... so yeah...

Orcastar

I think I finally found my class in warrior.

I started out as a norn ranger mainly because I liked the idea of pets. However, I soon found out that pets were kinda useless in this game. The way you acquire new pets is boring, they do little damage, die all the time in bigger encounters, have very few useful skills and, most of all, there's absolutely no interaction between your character and a your pet. At least in WoW you could feed them stuff. I only got to lvl 20 before getting bored of the class.

Next I rolled a sylvari elementalist and it was a blast at first. However, while I was leveling up, I soon discovered that the game expects me to switch between attunements like crazy in every single battle, even when fighting against random single enemies. And if two or three enemies attack me at once, oh boy, I have to juggle 20 goddamn skills + utility skills effectively in order to even survive the encounter. Now I'm all for challenge, but that is just too much effort to put into every single battle, and only resulted in my character feeling weaker and weaker as I leveled up. Story missions became nothing but a chore since they usually swarm you with enemies that only need a few hits to down me. I'm sure elementalists have ways of handling such crowds effectively, but the fact is I wasn't having any fun playing the class. I got to lvl 26 before giving up.

My charr warrior is now lvl 21 and so far he's been much more fun to play than ranger and elementalist, which I didn't expect since I've always considered warrior to be the boring class choice. Random mobs die easily while story missions and bigger crowds still provide a challenge, and all the different weapon combinations provide lots of variety. Of course lvl 21 is still early, so there's plenty of time for me to get bored of this class too. Oh well, still got five more classes to try out if that happens.

I'm never gonna get to lvl 80...

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Those things are even more scarce now that half the time stupid butter falls out of those bags lol

Suddenly, chocolate bars, everywhere. I have no idea what happened. Then I got a Glacial Fragment and all was good.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I think I finally found my class in warrior.

I'm never gonna get to lvl 80...

At least you realized you didn't like the other classes before hitting 80
unlike myself, who has an 80 Necro that I'm not terribly interested in touching again after finding how much fun Guardian is.

OceanBlue

Warriors are pretty fun. I expected to like hacking at things with a hammer or a greatsword, but I'm starting to warm up to parry skills. It makes combat a lot more dynamic. I might try doing mace + mace or mace + sword to see how it is.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Just reiterating this. Lot of fun doing all 3 wings last night of CM explorable. Ill be looking forward with more fun runs :). Hopefully AC gets fixed soon.

In lieu of AC, Ill prob start a TA story run tonite, for those on Stormbluff who havent gone thru it yet and want to run thru it :).

You need to get yourself an avatar asap. One fitting for the Mezziest Charr around!

warriors look fun, but too many combinations scare me.

I'm one of the weirdos that like to be extremely efficient... and am a bit lazy and let other people do the theory crafting lol.

Am having a blast with d/d ele for now... still am quite squishy due to not having much traits atm.

Question for all you rifle/grenade engineers out there (PvE). What build are you guys running?

Right now im running a 30 power/20 precision/20 tool kit (eventually). I am damn squishy atm, but will stack vit and toughness on my gear once i hit 80.

Not really a huge fan of any of our heals, honetly. Elixir was probably my fav, but thats out the window now that im not specced into aclhmeny. med kit is just a pain, and healing turret doesnt do enough heals

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fcAQJAqel0piYn1ShF17ICIF1HgJSR+RZfewWPIEC

While I use pistol/shield, the build I use could probably apply to rifles as well. The main thing I do is run around spamming grenades anyways. You get permanent swiftness and vigor to help with kiting. I'm using mostly condition damage/precision/toughness gear (I suppose you could switch to power or vitality for a rifle).

For the heal I use med kit. You say its a pain which leads me to believe you're trying to heal yourself the the actual droppable medkits primarily. I use the F1 skill as my main heal and the kits as my "oh shit I'm about to die let me drop these as I run away to get some breathing room." A nice thing with the med kit is that combined with the "Enhance Performance" trait you can get a permanent 6 stacks of might. You just to flip back and forth between med kit every ten seconds or so.

For the healing turret the best way to use it is to drop it and immediately pick it up again. This gives it the shortest cooldown of fifteen seconds.

Wait, there are different rarities for crafting materials? I thought only the end pieces were color-coded. Rare insignias for armorsmithing require 15 fine crafting mats, I think masterwork require 8.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
TA Story was a good time. Not so challenging for a good group, but I love the environment. Psyched to do explorable, but it's bugged along with AC. New build tonight!

"Right now im running a 30 power/20 precision/20 tool kit (eventually). I am damn squishy atm, but will stack vit and toughness on my gear once i hit 80. "

I go full glass cannon. Same build as you, but all power/precision/crit damage gear.

"Not really a huge fan of any of our heals, honetly. Elixir was probably my fav, but thats out the window now that im not specced into aclhmeny. med kit is just a pain, and healing turret doesnt do enough heals"

Healing turret actually has two heals. If you drop healing turret then immediately detonate it, you get an AOE heal combo. Healing turret also has condition removal.

Ken

Is the game down right now?

TA Story was a good time. Not so challenging for a good group, but I love the environment. Psyched to do explorable, but it's bugged along with AC. New build tonight!

Nooo. I just hit 50 and wanted to go down to do TA story and then explorable. Guess I'll look for a pug.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
"Right now im running a 30 power/20 precision/20 tool kit (eventually). I am damn squishy atm, but will stack vit and toughness on my gear once i hit 80. "

I go full glass cannon. Same build as you, but all power/precision/crit damage gear.

"Not really a huge fan of any of our heals, honetly. Elixir was probably my fav, but thats out the window now that im not specced into aclhmeny. med kit is just a pain, and healing turret doesnt do enough heals"

Healing turret actually has two heals. If you drop healing turret then immediately detonate it, you get an AOE heal combo. Healing turret also has condition removal.

Interesting didnt know you were an engineer also. The med kit besides the run buff is pretty useless with how little healing it does / time to deploy the kit then the healing packs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom