• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdchili

if i get a vision for a name tonight it gets bought tonight for some hopeful, panicky name-grabbing tomorrow night.

if i am uninspired tonight... then it waits for a few weeks, when i'll have some actual time to sit down and give this thing a proper test drive.

hope i like. a friend of mine figures i have about a 60% chance of being a fan... not great odds:)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
i guess the game appeals to GW1 players/MMO fans mostly
Right... :-/

Essentially the game is nothing like GW1, at all. It's set in the same universe but that'd be about it. The feel, aesthetic, gameplay, system of progression, skills, PVP structure, it's all different. And GW is probably best for people who hate MMOs in general.

I'm just gonna start making posts like this every once in a while until we get launchy....

If you're just joining us and find Jira's OT a bit much to parse:

First: Holy Crap Gamescom Trailer. (720p or you're a terrible person)

Next: Seriously All These Things Get You XP in Guild Wars 2

Then:
Little Things that Make Guild Wars 2 Awesome

Also Fucking Bullet Casings Make Different Fucking Sounds on Different Surfaces

Plus Pigeons Come and Carry Your Mail. Anywhere.

Just buy it. BUY IT.

Jira

Right... :-/

Essentially the game is nothing like GW1, at all. It's set in the same universe but that'd be about it. The feel, aesthetic, gameplay, system of progression, skills, PVP structure, it's all different. And GW is probably best for people who hate MMOs in general.

I'm just gonna start making posts like this every once in a while until we get launchy....

If you're just joining us and find Jira's OT a bit much to parse:

First: Holy Crap Gamescom Trailer. (720p or you're a terrible person)

Next: Seriously All These Things Get You XP in Guild Wars 2

Then:
Little Things that Make Guild Wars 2 Awesome

Also Fucking Bullet Casings Make Different Fucking Sounds on Different Surfaces

Plus Pigeons Come and Carry Your Mail. Anywhere.

Just buy it. BUY IT.

- Water sounds differently as you slosh around at different depths
- If you're wearing a dress it billows out based on the height you drop from
- If you're using a ranged weapon and shoot an enemy you'll close one eye
- If you're a larger character and target a smaller one you'll look down at it
- Depending on the material you're wearing you'll make different sounds on different materials
- Your feet will get dirty if you take your shoes off
- Inverse Kinematics takes into account foot placement on terrain for all animations
- Birds bring you your mail, even while under water and there's a bubble trail left behind.

I'll add more as I think of it.

Alright, been itching for a game like this so without touching GW1 or GW2 Beta, I preordered this yesterday. Hope that was wise, just sucks I work 36 hours between Saturday and Monday. : (

Has anyone bought this off of Green Man Gaming? When will you be able to download it?

I bought it from GMG a couple of months ago and they gave me a code which allowed me to download it right then. I've heard that if you bought from them after August 8th then you won't have access to headstart, but should get a code to download it by the 28th.

*slow clap*

/thread

That's it everyone. ZeroEdge is closing up the thread. Everyone move on out. Nothing more to see here.

ChuckNyce

- Water sounds differently as you slosh around at different depths
- If you're wearing a dress it billows out based on the height you drop from
- Depending on the material you're wearing you'll make different sounds on different materials
- Your feet will get dirty if you take your shoes off
- Inverse Kinematics takes into account foot placement on terrain for all animations
- Birds bring you your mail, even while under water and there's a bubble trail left behind.

I'll add more as I think of it.

STOP I can't buy this game twice! ...or can I?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
STOP I can't buy this game twice! ...or can I?

buy it for somebody else
KuGsj.gif

speaking of which where's arken at

LProtag

I kinda completely disregarded all my other thoughts and want to play an Elementalist now... haha, I have no idea what profession I'm playing since I haven't played in any of the betas.

Jira

Wow, you can actually get your own house and even a home instance?

I need to go masturbate.

Each race gets their own personal instance within their home city that shows what happens within your personal story. Every choice you make plays out in there. Player housing and guild housing are coming post-launch.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wow, you can actually get your own house and even a home instance?

I need to go masturbate.
You can't get your own house at launch, but here are the home instances you get, based on your race:
Asura – the Applied Development Lab, a laboratory near Rata Sum.
Charr – the Hero's Canton, the barracks in the Black Citadel.
Human – the Salma District of Divinity's Reach.
Norn – Hunter's Hearth, within the upper levels of the Great Lodge of Hoelbrak.
Sylvari – Dreamer's Terrace, a special garden that is part of the Pale Tree.

A few patches ago, Steam added support for custom banners for non-Steam games (about freaking time!). Here's mine (and yes, that's my beta character in the pic):

Awesome, never noticed it. :)

Also, if you're a ranger and your pet is walking by your side, you'll look at it. Might be new for the last Stress Test, as I didn't notice before.

I know you get a home instance, but I am not sure if we actually get a house that we can customize.

It's coming later on. Apparently ArenaNet decided they didn't want to half-ass it like every MMO does.

ChuckNyce

buy it for somebody else
KuGsj.gif

speaking of which where's arken at

Too broke for that but I did talk to a friend earlier this morning over IM about the stress test, dynamic events, and some of the other finer points of the game. I started sending him a diluge of gameplay footage and chattering on about PVP, different classes, etc. Finally he just said, "Stop, you had me at 'dynamic events'. I've already bought it and it's downloading right now".

Just doing my civic duty by passing on dat Gaf hype!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Game's not out yet! You don't know how far you'll go.
Cut to twelve hours later, I'm standing over a dead body with a copy of the game in one hand and a giant diamond in the other hand, wearing an eyepatch. "Was it worth it, Einbroch?!"

Bentendo

So I just preorderd this game at GameStop. Will I still be able to get the three day advanced play thing even though I didn't order it online? If so, how do I do it and where do I download the game?

-NeoTB1-

So I just preorderd this game at GameStop. Will I still be able to get the three day advanced play thing even though I didn't order it online? If so, how do I do it and where do I download the game?

pre-orders get 1 day head start. pre-purchase gets 3 days.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

Also, if you're a ranger and your pet is walking by your side, you'll look at it. Might be new for the last Stress Test, as I didn't notice before.

Uhm, guys.. your head moves at -anything- you've locked as a target (with tab). If it's bigger, you look up, if it's smaller, you look down ;)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is it anything on your receipt?

I should like this armor:
83PQh.png

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
I have a friend saying that a guild which has members from other servers cannot do World vs World, only "pure" guilds could. Confirm/deny?

Also, preorder = 1 day headstart. Prepurchase = 3 day headstart.

Einbroch

Banned
I have a friend saying that a guild which has members from other servers cannot do World vs World, only "pure" guilds could. Confirm/deny?

While I know nothing on the subject, that sounds like a load. Those members from other servers probably can't play with their guild in WvWvW, but locking the guild out?

Naaaaaaah.

badbrains

STRESS TEST TODAY!

We will be conducting a Stress Test TODAY from 1:00 PM PDT to 2:00 PM PDT.

We will be actively working on the game during the event, so you might experience connectivity problems or discover features that are not working as designed.

Any issues you experience are a result of the rigorous conditions of the stress test, and are in no way representative of the state of the game at launch.

By participating in this stress test, you’re helping us make Guild Wars 2 a better game.

Please note:

* The Stress Test is open to anyone who has pre-PURCHASED Guild Wars 2.
* You will not be able to purchase gems.

Thanks for your cooperation—we’ll see you in-game!

~RB

True, you can only do WvW on your home server.

Edit:I ignored the guild part, that doesn't change anything.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

That's just... a weird way of looking at it as I understand it.

You can only play WvW from your home server. Your guild.... doesn't really matter for WvW. I mean, of course you'll be playing with them, but guilds don't "enter" WvW.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
STRESS TEST TODAY!

We will be conducting a Stress Test TODAY from 1:00 PM PDT to 2:00 PM PDT.

We will be actively working on the game during the event, so you might experience connectivity problems or discover features that are not working as designed.

Any issues you experience are a result of the rigorous conditions of the stress test, and are in no way representative of the state of the game at launch.

By participating in this stress test, you’re helping us make Guild Wars 2 a better game.

Please note:

* The Stress Test is open to anyone who has pre-PURCHASED Guild Wars 2.
* You will not be able to purchase gems.

Thanks for your cooperation—we’ll see you in-game!

~RB

my heart, i can't take it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom