• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

daebo

So, I just bought the game about an hour ago... But I'm having all kinds of issues trying to register it. I'm getting wrong password errors (i've reset it like 8 times now) and time out errors.

Do i just keep trying to do it hoping it'll register or do i need to contact Anet?

Dunlop

So, I just bought the game about an hour ago... But I'm having all kinds of issues trying to register it. I'm getting wrong password errors (i've reset it like 8 times now) and time out errors.

Do i just keep trying to do it hoping it'll register or do i need to contact Anet?

pretty sure nobody can log in to the site atm

The hell? They're selling pre-purchase codes for $2? That's strange, wonder where they managed to pick those up.
Amazon.

They were giving them out for pre ORDERS a while back and really all you had to do was pre- order, get the code and then cancel the pre-order. Boom, beta and headstart key. Note, this is no longer an option, you have to do the pre-PURCHASE listing now to get that code.

berva

Neo Member
if your like me who purchased from GMG after the 8th August then spending $2 to get the 3 day head start off ebay was well worth it. Also got to participate is the last stress test which was cool. A few users asking for head start codes so i though that ebay listing was a fantastic deal.

Rad Agast

Would someone please PM me or something once we can register our copies on the GW2 site? I'd appreciate it. Was going nuts trying to figure out why my GW1 accounts were not working on their registration page.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Census says 14% of the pop are charr.. and 50% are either warriors or engineers lololol

Charr is like the WoW Dwarf. Everyone will be the warrior type tinkerer. You'll probably get a few Rangers in there as well as a handful of Guardians. Once people see how cool and slick Charr look as Thieves then they might opt in for it - especially with that medium armor Tier 3 culture set since Engineers are going to look hilarious in it. But magic-based classes will be almost non-existent.

I'd guess they're getting it ready for launch.
I hope it's not down 'til launch, because they said they'd have GW1 -> GW2 linking in before release so those that didn't link at GW2 account creation can add their GW1 account for HoM goodness. Said linking would definitely occur from GW2 account management.

Charr is like the WoW Dwarf. Everyone will be the warrior type tinkerer. You'll probably get a few Rangers in there as well as a handful of Guardians. Once people see how cool and slick Charr look as Thieves then they might opt in for it - especially with that medium armor Tier 3 culture set since Engineers are going to look hilarious in it. But magic-based classes will be almost non-existent.

I was dead set on Charr for my thief for a while, and surprised at how cool my Charr thief was. But then I played an Asura and loved how much better a small character felt. I'd still jump back to Charr if I could make a smaller one.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Guys i asked this before but no one responded going to try again. I bought the game from GMG on July 24th, when does my "headstart" start?

As long as you bought it and didn't simply just pre-order it, then your headstart should start Saturday morning at 3:00am EST (tomorrow night if you stay up). It could start 3 hours earlier than that though, so be prepared!

A good way to tell is if you can get into the BWE and stress tests. They may have one last one-hour stress test tonight so you could try then (this is wishful thinking on my part though...).

Just a quick question. When you guys say noone can log in, do you mean when trying to log in it gives a timeout error and says wrong password? I've reset my password twice and it still wont let me log in :( All I want to do is download the client so I can actually play during the headstart, which is why I pre-purchased.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Edit: I've just read a bit further back, and this does seem to be the case. Would it be possible for someone to upload a copy of the downloader/client and provide a link, if it's small enough to do so?

It's the Wereraven, one of the Norn racial elites.

arg, swore I clicked edit- sorry.

Whoa pretty awesome. It sounds funny to say I've largely been on blackout for newer media considering I played a beta, but I've largely ignored a lot of the concept art and other details to the game intentionally.

As long as you bought it and didn't simply just pre-order it, then your headstart should start Saturday morning at 3:00am EST (tomorrow night if you stay up). It could start 3 hours earlier than that though, so be prepared!

A good way to tell is if you can get into the BWE and stress tests. They may have one last one-hour stress test tonight so you could try then (this is wishful thinking on my part though...).

Yea i bought and payed for it on July 24th so I will try saturday, thanks!

Shrennin

If I prepurchased from Anet's website I don't need to enter a code!

I prepurchased the CE from Gamestop - do I have to enter another code to access the 3 day headstart or am I good to go?

I can already play the BWE and stress tests. I just want to make sure there's nothing that can stop me from getting in the game early.

Yea i bought and payed for it on July 24th so I will try saturday, thanks!

You're welcome! :D

Einbroch

Banned
Amazon.

They were giving them out for pre ORDERS a while back and really all you had to do was pre- order, get the code and then cancel the pre-order. Boom, beta and headstart key. Note, this is no longer an option, you have to do the pre-PURCHASE listing now to get that code.
Here's the thing. I did this, then emailed them to remove it since I bought the game through GMG. They said it was a pre-purchase key. I asked them specifically two times through email and two times by phone if my code was a retail copy, all ready to go. They said yes every time. They were curious as to why I would ask such a thing. I made up lame excuses both times.

Sorry for posting again so soon after the last :) Would it be possible at all for someone to throw me a link to the downloader/client, as I can't get logged into the official website, and it's possible this will persist until after the actual launch.
This is driving me crazy :p I really can't wait to play this game.

Edit: Nevermind, the site is now letting me log in :D

Here's the thing. I did this, then emailed them to remove it since I bought the game through GMG. They said it was a pre-purchase key. I asked them specifically two times through email and two times by phone if my code was a retail copy, all ready to go. They said yes every time. They were curious as to why I would ask such a thing. I made up lame excuses both times.
Pre-purchase keys weren't supposed to give you BWE access though, the Amazon pre-order keys were.

Trey

I prepurchased the CE from Gamestop - do I have to enter another code to access the 3 day headstart or am I good to go?

I can already play the BWE and stress tests. I just want to make sure there's nothing that can stop me from getting in the game early.

No, the code you used to get into the BWEs and stress test will give you access to headstart, but five days from that date your account will lock itself up until you get the retail code from Gamestop.

Proven

People using the controller will have very serious issues with any skill shots.

Oh, come on Jira. Skill shots aren't even targeted; they just shoot straight from your body. All you have to do is turn, strafe a little, and you're all lined up. Have you not played many action console games?

The only hard thing to do on a controller is ground target skills, and even that can be improved with a high enough sensitivity and practice.

rybrad

Anyone have thoughts on class choices? I played most of them and none really stuck out to me. I will be playing Charr with friends who will be Warrior and Engineer, is there anything that would be a better fit with that comp as opposed to picking a random class?

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Oh, come on Jira. Skill shots aren't even targeted; they just shoot straight from your body. All you have to do is turn, strafe a little, and you're all lined up. Have you not played many action console games?

The only hard thing to do on a controller is ground target skills, and even that can be improved with a high enough sensitivity and practice.

Those ground target skills are skill shots too, which is probably what he meant originally.

berva

Neo Member
wait, do we not get the headstart if we buy it now? I was waiting because why not, there was no notice I had seen of the headstart getting revoked. wtf!

If you buy from the official site NOW, I'M pretty sure you get the 3 day Head Start. The issue is the price. You can save up to $20 buying elsewhere.

bounchfx

If you buy from the official site NOW, I'M pretty sure you get the 3 day Head Start. The issue is the price. You can save up to $20 buying elsewhere.

Yeah, just did. Where the hell could I save $20? I just looked around the other day and couldn't find a deal like that.

Yeah, just did. Where the hell could I save $20? I just looked around the other day and couldn't find a deal like that.

GreenmanGaming has been running a 20% off deal for the last 2 months and was down to $40 at some point, but ran out of prepurchase/3-day headstart codes as of 8/8. I actually canceled my gamestop preorder and switched to them in July lol

spk

Do all GMG preorders include the 3 day headstart if purchased before Aug 8? If I prepurchased in April and have played in every BWE am I good? Is there a way to find out if my account is flagged?

berva

Neo Member
Do all GMG preorders include the 3 day headstart if purchased before Aug 8? If I prepurchased in April and have played in every BWE am I good? Is there a way to find out if my account is flagged?

Every pre-order from GMG on or before the 8th August will receive the 3 day head start. Assuming GMG get their act right. Hence my $2 purchase from ebay to ensure I am in from the very start.

Same price at NewEgg if you use the $12-off pre-orders code, and that's for the boxed version.

yes but my personal experience with NewEgg and preorders (using free delivery) have been abysmal, tend to get my games in Thursday-Friday

I'm pretty sure the code you got to play in all the BWE is the same code for the 3-day headstart. My assumption is that it'll allow you to play from Friday until Wednesday, and once Wednesday rolls around, the 3-day headstart codes will be disabled until a retail code is put into the account, at least that's how it has always worked with the MMO launches I've been in with headstarts

Shrennin

No, the code you used to get into the BWEs and stress test will give you access to headstart, but five days from that date your account will lock itself up until you get the retail code from Gamestop.

Ok, cool. Now I'm all set to just play the game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom