• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT| Buy Once, Sub Never, Fun Forever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Although Hawkian already answered, let me also point out that you're supposed to select Windows XP SP2. You see, you're not selecting the OS you have (Windows is pretty well aware what version it is), but the OS you want to emulate (as Windows has no way of knowing what version the program works with). So Windows 7 is precisely the one option that won't work (XPadder doesn't work on Windows 7).
Ah, yeah, I totally missed what he was trying to do at first.

chico

havent played an mmorpg since wow... 5 years ago. and i dont know why, but i had this sudden urge to buy gw2 today after watching the tutorial trailer. i know absolutely nothing about this game... this will be crazy tomorrow. and awesome!!! i hope...

jcutner

just pre-purchased it via the official website. client is downloading now.

last MMO i played (and technically the first MMO i got into) was SWTOR. I learned a lot about MMOs (when I played WoW briefly, I was clueless) and I'm somewhat itching to dive back into it! Hoping this will do the trick.

looking forward to joining the gaf guild :D you guys were a lot of fun, and huge help during SWTOR.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Purchases from ArenaNet, for the moment, still seem to carry headstart access (beginning in 9.5-12.5 hours).
If you're just joining us and find Jira's OT a bit much to parse:

First: Holy Crap Gamescom Trailer. (720p or you're a terrible person)

Next: Tutorial Video (Watch if you have no idea what the game is like)
and
Seriously All These Things Get You XP in Guild Wars 2

Then:
Little Things that Make Guild Wars 2 Awesome

Also Fucking Bullet Casings Make Different Fucking Sounds on Different Surfaces

Plus Pigeons Come and Carry Your Mail. Anywhere.

Yx5ve.gif

Read through the OP and immediately bought it. I haven't been able to get into any MMOs in a while (although I really wanted to try The Secret World), but this looks like a very good step forward in the genre. Can't wait to try it hopefully later tonight!

PaulLFC

Is there a way to tell if I have pre-purchase or preorder access (short of trying to log in in 11 hours or so :p). I just got sent an "early access code" from the site I ordered the game from, not sure which tier it entitles me to.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is there a way to tell if I have pre-purchase or preorder access (short of trying to log in in 11 hours or so :p). I just got sent an "early access code" from the site I ordered the game from, not sure which tier it entitles me to.
Did you pay for the entire game or not?

ReRixo

Banned
pvp community from where though, I mean, with WvW the vast majority of the population of GW2 will be that!

Well it starts with the GW1 GvG community, some of the best GW1 guilds like EVIL and War Machine will be playing on Stormbluff, but there's a big alliance of very competant players. Of course this attracts a hell of a lot of wannabe pro pvpers, and those are normally the guys some people have problems with. I personally don't mind them, and actually prefer the pvp community, but I just thought it was information worth sharing.

Jira

Well it starts with the GW1 GvG community, some of the best GW1 guilds like EVIL and War Machine will be playing on Stormbluff, but there's a big alliance of very competant players. Of course this attracts a hell of a lot of wannabe pro pvpers, and those are normally the guys some people have problems with. I personally don't mind them, and actually prefer the pvp community, but I just thought it was information worth sharing.

Well it only matters for WvW, sPvP is regional.

jbortz78

Two things I need help with:

First about the Necromancer, you who have tried the class for awhile in both PVE and PVP, what favorite weapons do you use and switch between?

And second, maybe a stupid question, I have a laptop with a Geforce 560m, can I use the 305.67 driver? Just wondering since no "M"-models are mentioned.

See you all on Gandar tomorrow!

Jira

just pre-purchased it via the official website. client is downloading now.

last MMO i played (and technically the first MMO i got into) was SWTOR. I learned a lot about MMOs (when I played WoW briefly, I was clueless) and I'm somewhat itching to dive back into it! Hoping this will do the trick.

looking forward to joining the gaf guild :D you guys were a lot of fun, and huge help during SWTOR.

Well there's good news and bad news. Bad news is not much you've learned in other MMOs apply here other than basic controls and menu systems. Good news is you don't have that much experience with the genre and aren't weighted down by any certain expectations and what not.

arimanius

After a ton of researching this morning I think I've settled on trying a necro first.

maybe an engineer.....

.....or a thief......

....no no definitely a warrior.....

BrettWeir

All of you that were on the fence and purchased today, the game is seriously damn good. So much fun and content all wrapped under a measly $60 price tag (or less/more, obviously).

After a ton of researching this morning I think I've settled on trying a necro first.

maybe an engineer.....

.....or a thief......

....no no definitely a warrior.....

This is definitely an alt-itis game.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Tonight is going to be crazy. I'm going to try out Mumble to try to talk to you guys before and during launch (and as an added benefit, I'll hopefully know when it launches at the exact moment as a result of all of us trying to log on).

I think I'm going to be devoid of sleep tonight.

Deitus

Purchases from ArenaNet, for the moment, still seem to carry headstart access (beginning in 9.5-12.5 hours).
If you're just joining us and find Jira's OT a bit much to parse:

First: Holy Crap Gamescom Trailer. (720p or you're a terrible person)

Next: Tutorial Video (Watch if you have no idea what the game is like)
and
Seriously All These Things Get You XP in Guild Wars 2

Then:
Little Things that Make Guild Wars 2 Awesome

Also Fucking Bullet Casings Make Different Fucking Sounds on Different Surfaces

Plus Pigeons Come and Carry Your Mail. Anywhere.

Yx5ve.gif

So I see you are filling in as the interim Retro. Not that I'm complaining.

Complistic

Can i have a link to jira (or retro's?) post about why GW2 is different/interesting compared to other MMOs? I don't feel like summing it up again.

This may have been answered, but can you have multiple characters on multiple servers?

No. Instead you can guest on any other server with friends anytime you want. You can just only play wvw on your own server's team.

BrettWeir

Tonight is going to be crazy. I'm going to try out Mumble to try to talk to you guys before and during launch (and as an added benefit, I'll hopefully know when it launches at the exact moment as a result of all of us trying to log on).

I think I'm going to be devoid of sleep tonight.

Tell me about it...I've been up since 1 am last night, working from 6:30 am to 4 pm. Have to take son to lacrosse, make dinner, and SOMEHOW manage to stay up all night because that's how absurdly in love I am with this game.

This may have been answered, but can you have multiple characters on multiple servers?

Nope. Your stuck on the server you create on. You can guest on any server though...except for WvW.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Tell me about it...I've been up since 1 am last night, working from 6:30 am to 4 pm. Have to take son to lacrosse, make dinner, and SOMEHOW manage to stay up all night because that's how absurdly in love I am with this game.

Wow, that sounds rough. I have time to rest before launch, but I absolutely detest pulling all-nighters. I avoid it if I can, but I think I may pull one just for this game.

Gotcha. Well, that's kind of a good thing IMO. A strong PVP base makes you a stronger server in general. Although with all this cross server stuff it might not make a difference.

I know I was on one of the first PVP servers in WoW and one of the stronger ones back in the day, when PVP went cross server our pugs could beat quite a few of the premades from other servers just because we had such a strong PVP base, eventually everything evened out though once you play against people for a long time.

It might be totally different in GW though, I have no idea how sPVP works, do you play against your server or is it a giant pool of all servers?

Lyonaz

Man, I'm so close to buying this game from the main website. Just so I can play in the weekend.

I'll just rub one out and play some BF3 to think it over.

Kalnos

Banned
Still not sure if my GameStop 'pre-order' is going to give me the 3-day headstart or not. The email with my code did say:

Guild Wars 2

Congratulations! Your pre-order qualifies you for Beta Access, 3 Day Head Start and the Hero's Band!

Better not get my hopes up too high. :p

badbrains

I achieved rank 11 (Eminent Hero) in GW1 PvP. That's all i really did, what can i expect to receive in GW2? It's basically the only thing I had in my HoM

th3dude

OP said:
Play Together, Not Separately – You don’t have to worry about people taking an enemy from you. Any number of players can attack the same enemy and receive XP and loot for the kill if they meet a minimum damage threshold. No Ninja Looting here.

How does this work? Is it like Diablo 3 where all players get their own loot?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Finally got signed up for the GAFGuild.

I think I'll go Human but can't decide between Warrior and Engineer.

jersoc

hey guys. getting my new video card today. a 660. people on guild wars reddit say the 304.79 beta drivers give the best performance right now. anyone else running those? should i use them for now?

coming from ati.

Jira

To all of you getting into the guild tonight:

When you get an invite, once you accept it the invite, be sure to go to the guild pane and click represent. Once in use your Tome of Influence (if you have one) so we can get upgrades going.

LProtag

Did Elementalist really get nerfed that badly?

Everyone keeps saying they're too squishy and don't do enough damage. I kinda want to do a D/D ele but I dunno if that's a good idea for a main.

tci

So, there was a small update to the client. Earlier today I asked about any issues for people with Windows 8 RTM and the client. Before the client just disappeared. Now it looks normal, but the says it is downloading 0kb (0kbs). Is this normal?

Looks like I will be a human ranger. Seems most interesting for me, and I have always enjoyed playing ranger in games.

PewPewK

So, there was a small update to the client. Earlier today I asked about any issues for people with Windows 8 RTM and the client. Before the client just disappeared. Now it looks normal, but the says it is downloading 0kb (0kbs). Is this normal?

Looks like I will be a human ranger. Seems most interesting for me, and I have always enjoyed playing ranger in games.

I was having this issue with the disappearing launcher on 8 RTM, but reinstalling my drivers seemed to have fixed that issue. I haven't had the stuck at 0 kb issue in a few days, but I did have it once. Can't remember how I fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom