• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like a miniature black disco ball. I haven't seen any in-game yet! Good luck! How are the mats coming?
It's basically a disco ball on a stick that makes fireworks sounds upon striking something. It's black in darkness and a bright silver during the day.

Got 10 mystic clovers so far. About 50 obsidian shards. Also 250 ancient bones (bought a stack when they were cheap).
Still need a stack of ectos, about 350 combat tokens, 500 betteltun tokens, 120 gold for the icy runestones and both recipes, stacks of every other T6 crafting component, 250 skill points, and 400k karma. Oh, and a sigil of superior energy.

I also need materials for upgrading my quiver. That's another stack of ectos...

KuroNeeko

It's basically a disco ball on a stick that makes fireworks sounds upon striking something. It's black in darkness and a bright silver during the day.

Got 10 mystic clovers so far. About 50 obsidian shards. Also 250 ancient bones (bought a stack when they were cheap).
Still need a stack of ectos, about 350 combat tokens, 500 betteltun tokens, 120 gold for the icy runestones and both recipes, stacks of every other T6 crafting component, 250 skill points, and 400k karma. Oh, and a sigil of superior energy.

I also need materials for upgrading my quiver. That's another stack of ectos...

Daaaamn. You've got big cojones, mayne. I was thinking that the 100% World Exploration would be the hard part, but right now looks like that's probably the easiest part. ;.;

You playing Guardian or Warrior? Seems like once you get a Legendary, you'll never be able to abandon the character. It's like an MMO-marriage!

jersoc

i want to get twilight eventually, but i don't farm like i use to so i don't have much gold for a precursor let alone anything else. even when i did farm, i have no clue how people got gold that fast outside of gems(and more likely farmers). at least with bots gone the prices are back to levels where farming is worth it.

i think need a few days break from the game. i played a crazy amount this weekend and need to recharge a bit.

Well, I'm pretty happy now. I sold the exotics I got from the event as well as some other stuff littering my bank and had enough for the level 60 skills book + leveling armour-smithing so that I could make the level 60 crafted cleric's stuff, both for my Guardian. On a roll I splashed out 10s on a helmet model I like (banded helms look a lot like Roman legionary helmets which makes me happy) and spent a load of karma on the level 60 Lion's Arch weapons and for the first time in about ten-fifteen levels my Guardian has non-terrible gear.

When my Guardian is geared like this, she's awesome. I currently have a weird build which is primarily healing/power gear + traits with excess points spent in boons. I use a staff and a sword+focus, with the former for WvWvW support/barriers and the latter when I need to kill something (I slightly prefer the focus 5 attack to the shield skills for defense - shield 5 just seems to put the thing you are attacking out of your range).

My main problem with this set-up is that it's difficult to tell in GW2 if my healing is helping anyone. I see 2.5K green numbers pop up over loads of people's heads in a zerg (and I keep all my buffs in a steady rotation), but without the normal raid frame interface it's almost impossible to tell whether that's useful healing or not (it's not like say SWTOR where my Operative healer was clearly making a huge difference). I'll probably fill the healing trait line and then either fill the power trait line, or balance the power/boons lines. Not really sure yet which. I certainly want to keep staff/sword because I like the spells on those.

I guess I want a thing that tells me whether what I'm doing is useful, because at the moment it's hard to tell. I'm aware this almost certainly falls into the "not doing things which help the trinity" mantra but still.

When I get to 80, I really want to get/make Firebringer (http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Firebringer) and build up a fairly Roman look for my Guardian. I saw some people during the event with an oval shield which would be awesome to pair with it (losing the focus awesome but gaining look of awesome).

Edit - apparently the shield is this model: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shield_of_the_Wing

Daaaamn. You've got big cojones, mayne. I was thinking that the 100% World Exploration would be the hard part, but right now looks like that's probably the easiest part. ;.;

You playing Guardian or Warrior? Seems like once you get a Legendary, you'll never be able to abandon the character. It's like an MMO-marriage!
Warrior, it's my main. He even carries the name of my main from GW1, too. So it's pretty set in stone and has been for some time.

The legendary is just the final confirmation of that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Did Fractal Level 1 as a lvl52 Guardian, with a 25 Warrior, 47 Ranger and 2 level 80s. Worked well. I like the idea.
The fact that Fractal level is per character and full scaling to 80 takes place even at level 1 does a bit to mitigate the level bottleneck for finding a group, though I still hope for a better solution.

Great group that went through 3 last night. Very smooth in the end. A group of players who know what they're doing really can tear through them.

The fact that Fractal level is per character and full scaling to 80 takes place even at level 1 does a bit to mitigate the level bottleneck for finding a group, though I still hope for a better solution.

Great group that went through 3 last night. Very smooth in the end. A group of players who know what they're doing really can tear through them.

I was in a great group that went through one easily last night. It was a fun romp.

Unfortunately I followed that by trying AC ghost eater with a couple of jack asses who went all Leeroy Jenkins. That went over like a loud fart at a funeral.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's funny, right beforehand I did Ghost Eater with the guildies and hot damn is that piece of content a cakewalk with a competent team these days. Granted my (lvl 59) mesmer died trying to pull Kohler all hero-style. But man is that run an easy gold now.

That's funny, right beforehand I did Ghost Eater with the guildies and hot damn is that piece of content a cakewalk with a competent team these days. Granted my (lvl 59) mesmer died trying to pull Kohler all hero-style. But man is that run an easy gold now.

Yeah, it should have been easy....not so much though when it's only 2 competent people. I'm probably not running any explorable again unless it's a full guild group. PUGs have been mostly bad with those for me.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I need to run me some AC p1 and p2 tonight, along with another CoF run. I think I want the AC armor set for a second gear set on my Guardian.

Vossler

I have about two hours tonight to play, and may try to level my 25 guardian and 2 thief for a bit. I usually farm with my ranger, but may give that a break, unless of course some level 4 fractal action happens.

th3dude

Definitely want to run some AC. I am one run away from my first piece of AC gear.

I was in the PUG last night with Bl4ck. It was bad.

First, we had a disconnect, so we were stuck with 4. We got all the way to getting 1 cannon of 3 on Ghost Eater, but after that, the other 2 Puggers kept running in (a la Leeroy Jenkins) and getting killed before we could all form up together.

Worst part: we went in pre-patch, so no one that patched could come in and join us to help.

A wasted 1.5 hours when all I wanted was some AC tears to get my greatsword :(

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Definitely want to run some AC. I am one run away from my first piece of AC gear.

I was in the PUG last night with Bl4ck. It was bad.

First, we had a disconnect, so we were stuck with 4. We got all the way to getting 1 cannon of 3 on Ghost Eater, but after that, the other 2 Puggers kept running in (a la Leeroy Jenkins) and getting killed before we could all form up together.

Worst part: we went in pre-patch, so no one that patched could come in and join us to help.

A wasted 1.5 hours when all I wanted was some AC tears to get my greatsword :(

Just come with us. We wreck the SHIT out of those dungeons. :p The same can be said for Fractals. I helped take a small group from 5 to 8 last night in no time. PuGs are dangerously bad in GW2. I was able to semi-PuG FotM 9 and 10, but even then, you find people who are simply terrible at the game. Like, legitimately terrible.

E: Hawkian, what time you be on tonight?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I tried TA with a PUG once. It cost me hundreds of dollars in therapy.

edit: Gonna be roughly 7:30PM EST once again

nataku

Guys, I need a new video card. One of the fans on my GTX460 is dying and from the sounds of it the past week it won't last until next year, when I was planning to upgrade. Anyone got recommendations for a card around $250-300 that would run GW2 well? I asked in the PC thread and got a few replies, but I'm looking for some recommendations from people who have the cards and play GW2, to give me an idea on performance.

i5 2500k is my CPU with a HX650 Corsair PSU.

I'd be interested in AC if there's any runs going on later (won't be online 'til ~9:30 EST.)

I'd also really like to do some fractals at some point, but I'm only on level 2 :(

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Guys, I need a new video card. One of the fans on my GTX460 is dying and from the sounds of it the past week it won't last until next year, when I was planning to upgrade. Anyone got recommendations for a card around $250-300 that would run GW2 well? I asked in the PC thread and got a few replies, but I'm looking for some recommendations from people who have the cards and play GW2, to give me an idea on performance.

I imagine any of the newer Nvidia powerhouses will be great for GW2, just don't get an AMD card.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'd be interested in AC if there's any runs going on later (won't be online 'til ~9:30 EST.)

I'd also really like to do some fractals at some point, but I'm only on level 2 :(
Fractalsfractalsfractals! I'll do two with you if I have downtime when you're on/an AC path I haven't done for the day yet.
I imagine any of the newer Nvidia powerhouses will be great for GW2, just don't get an AMD card.
HD7950, runs the game borderline flawlessly

Divvy

HD7950, runs the game borderline flawlessly

I have an AMD card too, and it's been great, but that company isn't doing well and if I were buying a new card, I would be worried about prospects of continued support down the line. That and I'm still a bit annoyed that there's no ambient occlusion option for AMD cards.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can't argue with that. The drivers are a nightmare, it doesn't support SGSSAA at all and the trick to downsampling involves a German-language Java app. -_-

edit: Worth it because of the deal I got for it, guildie recommended. Got the 7950 for $230 with Sleeping Dogs, and I can't find it for under $300 from the looks of things (though they all seem to come with 3 games now from newegg :p)

Great card. If you have a second slot for a cheap, low-profile NVIDIA card you can even get PhysX

Rawk Hawk

My desktop has a Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 and I have no issues running smoothly on medium settings. My guess is you could find something a lot better than that within your price range.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
GAFGuild post has been created for those curious!

Also, really shouldn't play until 2:30 AM again today. Oh GOD was it hard to wake up.

I have a GTX 560 and it seems pretty flawless with all settings on max (although I'm not supersampling), particularly with the last lot of MS-approved drivers that were pushed out by Windows Update.

However, I'm playing on a "tiny" screen (1280x1024) so your milage may vary.

Can't argue with that. The drivers are a nightmare, it doesn't support SGSSAA at all and the trick to downsampling involves a German-language Java app. -_-
I must be missing something, you're saying the basic video drivers are finicky? I've always just pretty much done plug->install->play with little if any issue so maybe it's a customization thing.

Oh, and just for the record, I play GW2 on a radeon 4890 at 1900x1080 with most every option turned up to the max (no AA or supersampling, though). I only get slow downs in WVW and when there are a LOT of effects going on.

GAFGuild post has been created for those curious!

Also, really shouldn't play until 2:30 AM again today. Oh GOD was it hard to wake up.
I just didn't even bother, having come into work about 6 in the morning.

So someone explain to me how the prices for T3 culturals are in any way reasonable, and how the hell I'm supposed to save up for that junk in any reasonable timeframe.

At first I brushed them off because they're so far out of whack (four times and an order of magnitude more expensive than T2s), but then I realized that I would eventually want to get the T3 light Asura gear...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So someone explain to me how the prices for T3 culturals are in any way reasonable
cosmetic
how the hell I'm supposed to save up for that junk in any reasonable timeframe.
What's reasonable by your standards? I can probably advise you on the best way to do it in the timeframe you have chosen.

The fact that you are unwilling to run any dungeons isn't exactly a boon for this particular goal, though :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
cosmetic

What's reasonable by your standards? I can probably advise you on the best way to do it in the timeframe you have chosen.

The fact that you are unwilling to run any dungeons isn't exactly a boon for this particular goal, though :p

P much this.

Levyne

Banned
It's a little expensive but not altogether undoable. I mean, something has to be the most expensive set in the game for people to work towards.

Divvy

The best and most sought after items in an mmo are just going to take a long time to get. At least in guild wars they can be obtained by anyone and don't take years to get.

Pretty much the case for almost anything in Guild Wars that is expensive.

Remember Obsidian armor? Voltaic Spears? Victo's Axe? All of those were just cool looking shit that everyone wanted. The ass-ugly regular stuff would remain statistically the same, though.

Complaining that the cultural armors are expensive is like complaining about the awesome amount of money and materials required for a legendary weapon.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The best and most sought after items in an mmo are just going to take a long time to get. At least in guild wars they can be obtained by anyone and don't take years to get.
and offer no (or teeny tiny) statistical advantage

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The fissure dropped shards, ectos in the underworld.

dummy
0LY2X.png

>:O

I couldn't get Underworld groups as often as FoW and the Wailing Lord chain was basically my only hope of seeing them.

edit: Holy crap, beaten!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom