• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

arimanius

All I want for Christmas is weapon stats and runes to affect Engi kits. Make getting a legendary worth it.

I've been extra good this year ANet. Make it happen!

Not even. At least in PSO2 all the outfits I like are very easily attainable even for someone with my playtime. (Of course, that's only because someone is spending hundreds of dollars in real money to buy the scratch tickets to gamble for the outfits in the first place, but I don't really care as long as it's not my money.)

The dozens and dozens of hours of grinding pretty much turn me off instantaneously now. I just can't do it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Not even. At least in PSO2 all the outfits I like are very easily attainable even for someone with my playtime. (Of course, that's only because someone is spending hundreds of dollars in real money to buy the scratch tickets to gamble for the outfits in the first place, but I don't really care as long as it's not my money.)

The dozens and dozens of hours of grinding pretty much turn me off instantaneously now. I just can't do it.

If you're not having fun, quit.

No matter how small a grind, it's still a grind. Unfortunately GW2 might not be your cup of tea overall.

If you're not having fun, quit.
See, fortunately I can just play the game and completely ignore the existence of those outfits. As much as it irritates me...

Edit: Btw, that's a total cop-out. No game can stand muster after many long, dozens of hours of constant gold farming. Hell, just look at all the people who quit immediately after achieving 100% world completion...

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
See, fortunately I can just play the game and completely ignore the existence of those outfits. As much as it irritates me...

That's fine, then keep playing? But if you want to obtain that t3 cultural or other cosmetic goodies, you're going to have to grind.

E: You're stance on things in this game confuses me. I can't ever tell what side of the fence you're on. Play if you enjoy it, don't play if you don't.

That's fine, then keep playing? But if you want to obtain that t3 cultural or other cosmetic goodies, you're going to have to grind.
At least you can still play with no mechanical hinderance without that cultural armor. Really, it's about as good of a compromise as you're going to get in an MMO.

Arcteryx

So someone explain to me how the prices for T3 culturals are in any way reasonable, and how the hell I'm supposed to save up for that junk in any reasonable timeframe.

At first I brushed them off because they're so far out of whack (four times and an order of magnitude more expensive than T2s), but then I realized that I would eventually want to get the T3 light Asura gear...

Run dungeons/fractals. I've been averaging ~5-6g(occasionally 8 or more if I get good drops) a day from 2-3hrs of fractals. Doesn't take that long honestly.

E: You're stance on things in this game confuses me. I can't ever tell what side of the fence you're on. Play if you enjoy it, don't play if you don't.
Well, see, that's the thing. I have something of a love/hate relationship with this game.

I enjoy the minute-to-minute gameplay. I love and adore the Asura. The lore is intriguing, even if the writing itself isn't. The removal of the very concept of kill-stealing is genius (and I'm still amazed that it wasn't gotten rid of sooner). The dye system is a godsend. I hugely appreciate the flattening of the gear curve (especially for sPvP). The game is gorgeous... with SweetFX, at least. Some of the events are very creative and highly amusing (the one in Metrica Province where you can choose to complete a heart by protesting a scientist experimenting on oozes really stands out for me - hilarious!).

But I hate the way they've handled sPvP - no supporting systems, no proper matchmaking, a rather poor choice of game mode (and a poorly executed one, at that!). The grind for 'prestigious' gear is silly and excessive (legendaries in particular) - in fact, there's no real achievement for acquiring them, it's just straight-up grind, grind, grind. Nothing interesting about that, unless you like endurance tests. Of course you very well know my stance on the dungeons in the game.

As much as I complain about these things, though, they are fortunately rather small parts of the game for me. I spend most of my time just running around the world completing events and trying to roleplay with random travelers (I'm on Tarnished Coast). Unfortunately, this doesn't make much in the way of money for me, so those expensive T3 sets are just a little...
Run dungeons/fractals. I've been averaging ~5-6g(occasionally 8 or more if I get good drops) a day from 2-3hrs of fractals. Doesn't take that long honestly.
Hmmm. At a minimum of 24 days, 2-3 hours a day... or 48-72 hours in total... that's, um, quite a lot of time. I think I'll pass on that.

But I have yet to even try the fractals, so I suppose I'll give them a shot at some point.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Well, see, that's the thing. I have something of a love/hate relationship with this game.

I enjoy the minute-to-minute gameplay. I love and adore the Asura. The lore is intriguing, even if the writing itself isn't. The removal of the very concept of kill-stealing is genius (and I'm still amazed that it wasn't gotten rid of sooner). The dye system is a godsend. I hugely appreciate the flattening of the gear curve (especially for sPvP). The game is gorgeous... with SweetFX, at least. Some of the events are very creative and highly amusing (the one in Metrica Province where you can choose to complete a heart by protesting a scientist experimenting on oozes really stands out for me - hilarious!).

But I hate the way they've handled sPvP - no supporting systems, no proper matchmaking, a rather poor choice of game mode (and a poorly executed one, at that!). The grind for 'prestigious' gear is silly and excessive (legendaries in particular) - in fact, there's no real achievement for acquiring them, it's just straight-up grind, grind, grind. Nothing interesting about that, unless you like endurance tests. Of course you very well know my stance on the dungeons in the game.

As much as I complain about these things, though, they are fortunately rather small parts of the game for me. I spend most of my time just running around the world completing events and trying to roleplay with random travelers (I'm on Tarnished Coast). Unfortunately, this doesn't make much in the way of money for me, so those expensive T3 sets are just a little...

Hmmm. At a minimum of 24 days, 2-3 hours a day... or 48-72 hours in total... that's, um, quite a lot of time. I think I'll pass on that.

But I have yet to even try the fractals, so I suppose I'll give them a shot at some point.

If you find a good group to run with, dungeons are not bad. They're fun and offer a unique challenge not present in the main world. On top of that, you can get lucky with a drop or two and come out with a nice chunk of change.

Trey

in fact, there's no real achievement for acquiring them, it's just straight-up grind, grind, grind.

Having something most people don't have is the achievement. And really, that's the way to do it. Have some super vanity item (which imparts no practical in-game advantage) that is outrageously tedious to get and requires grind and probably a healthy supplement of gem buying.

I would be interested in getting a legendary. But it will be the over the course of me playing the game normally. No grind required.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah I made 5g on the fractals last night and that's without selling ectos that I salvaged. It's much more fun than grinding Orr. And my primary goal for doing them is not really to make money, it's actually fun.

(I also may just want one of those rings)

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
That's pretty good money. I've only been able to go through one round of fractals so far. Is it possible to join you guys sometime even if I'm on another server?

If you hate the grind enough, you could always buy up the gold with real money. The current exchange rate is pretty favorable, it'd only cost you $130-$140. :p

Levyne

Banned
One thing that was made clear to me yesterday (was brought up in mumble) is that you can get the "achievement" chest (after Maw) for the fractals once per day per tier (1-9, 10-19, etc). So that is great incentive for higher difficulty level guildies to drop down to help people get to 2,4,6,8 for the extra relics and goodies.

Rawk Hawk

Having something most people don't have is the achievement. And really, that's the way to do it. Have some super vanity item (which imparts no practical in-game advantage) that is outrageously tedious to get and requires grind and probably a healthy supplement of gem buying.

I would be interested in getting a legendary. But it will be the over the course of me playing the game normally. No grind required.

Yea, I can certainly see how getting a legendary or other items could be considered a grind, but to me I'm having fun playing the game. At this point nothing is a grind yet, when I hear grind I think of my days on FFXI when I felt like I needed to log in today for our event. I wasn't getting on because I was enjoying the mechanics of the game, but more out of obligation to continue the hunt for better stuff.

As of now, this game is still amazingly fun and although I'm most likely a couple years away from owning my own legendary, it doesn't feel like I'm grinding my way towards it.

Edit: Quoted the wrong post, fixed.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
One thing that was made clear to me yesterday (was brought up in mumble) is that you can get the "achievement" chest (after Maw) for the fractals once per day per tier (0-9, 10-19, etc). So that is great incentive for higher difficulty level guildies to drop down to help people get to 2,4,6,8 for the extra relics and goodies.

Heck yeah it is!

The next thing to discover is if 8 gives better rewards from that chest than 2...

I have a GTX 560 and it seems pretty flawless with all settings on max (although I'm not supersampling), particularly with the last lot of MS-approved drivers that were pushed out by Windows Update.

However, I'm playing on a "tiny" screen (1280x1024) so your milage may vary.

I have a 2500k and a 560ti using the latest whql drivers at 1920x1200 or whatever with everything on high (except supers and I think I may have turned the shadows down a notch) and it runs great. Never had a crash or anything.

Do you guys run with MF gear when you do FoTM?

I cant decide if not to. I'm convinced that something is up with DR for me. No I seem unable to get rares and exotics. But DR shouldn't hit for me.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Do you guys run with MF gear when you do FoTM?

I cant decide if not to. I'm convinced that something is up with DR for me. No I seem unable to get rares and exotics. But DR shouldn't hit for me.

The low level stuff you may get away with it, but the high level stuff where Agony sets in, no - definitely not suggested, haha.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is PSO2 actually an MMO in contrast to PSO (which I played the crap out of on Dreamcast, btw)?

How difficult, time-consuming or grindy it is to get a given piece of cosmetic gear is kind of irrelevant to me... the above factors just determine its rarity. If I elect to go after something of that nature the reward is acquiring it despite the amount of effort necessary to do so, and having accomplished something few others have because of that amount as well.

Things of that nature have no impact on gameplay whatsoever and are thus completely optional.

Make it a long term goal over the next couple of months?

I'd also proffer that you might want to skip the leggings (which are frequently hidden/unimpressive) and boots (which look almost universally bad on those of our stature ;)).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
We're still talking about grinds in this game? Heh, you all know my position on legendaries to the point that its probably a joke by now... But two quick points:

-I'm only Fractal level 3. So far though the whole concept is fun as hell. If this is the picture of grinding... Maybe that's not so bad. :D they're short, fun, and you never know which one you're going to get next. The boss after 3 was fun as all get out. Nicoga giving us the rundown and then barking orders at us like a pro was good times. There are a lot of ways to make money and get gear now between Orr, Southsun, WvW (great karma and lots of junk drops to sell when done right), Frostgorge, standard dungeons, and timed bosses. We're now at the point where even if you don't like half of those options, you can still do pretty well doing just the content you enjoy.

-I'm all for the legendary scavenger hunt thing. I still think they should be hard to get and I'll probably get mine when Guild Wars 3 is announced. But any bit where they can turn the grinding away from repetition and into something more interesting and creative, I'll be into it.

So I'm actually pretty happy with where the game is and where it seems to be headed, after some uncertainty before this patch. The problem I have with it now is one I rarely see discussed with all the focus on grinds and rewards. This game has a serious struggle with inconsistent quality throughout. Event launches have been messy. Broken shit still stands all over the game. Games that are lesser overall like Rift and DAoC do special world events and WvW, respectively, better than Anet does to a straight-up embarrassing extent. Yet it seems like even more potentially broken content will be coming for the holidays, and then the next big update in early 2013. Many of us still haven't seen the whole world, or done all the dungeons, or even touched some entire modes. Perhaps peeling some people off other teams to get a large fix-oriented patch in is in order.

I don't mean it in a rude way, I promise! But it definitely comes off that way during an encounter when trying to explain it mid-run! Speaking of which, my goal tonight is to take you from 3 to about 7/8 depending on your availability, and to help Ash and friends from 8 to 11. Gotta get my relics! I'm up to 620 I think...

I only do fractals on a day where I know I'll have time to do them. I'm only a level 3 but still willing to help out anyone that's around 1 or 2. Granted there are a few people in guild chat that seem to refuse to run lower levels, but whatever.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't mean it in a rude way, I promise! But it definitely comes off that way during an encounter when trying to explain it mid-run! Speaking of which, my goal tonight is to take you from 3 to about 7/8 depending on your availability, and to help Ash and friends from 8 to 11. Gotta get my relics! I'm up to 620 I think...
I'm on 4. PLEASE count me in on this. I promise to impress you with my pro-ness despite only having beaten level 3 last night

nataku

Thanks for the replies on the video card options. I'm seriously considering a 7950 after looking at the nvidia options. It's the maximum I'd spend, but the free games offer on newegg makes it really tempting. It seems like the nvidia cards that match the 7950 are much more expensive. Then again, it's kind of hard to gauge because so many people are reporting huge discrepancies in performance in GW2 with the same cards.

EDIT: Reading more, I was/am considering the 660ti, but impressions on these cards are all over the place. I get more confused about what to get the more I read.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You misread me, I thought it was seriously awesome. I forget who it was, someone in the guild was listening in on our party and thought it was awesome too. :p

Haha - OK, good! I'm glad I don't come off as "that guy"!

I'm on 4. PLEASE count me in on this. I promise to impress you with my pro-ness despite only having beaten level 3 last night

Absolutely. I want more people in Ascended gear!

I only do fractals on a day where I know I'll have time to do them. I'm only a level 3 but still willing to help out anyone that's around 1 or 2. Granted there are a few people in guild chat that seem to refuse to run lower levels, but whatever.

I've noticed this, too. But to each their own I guess! I like the low level stuff as well as the high level stuff...Easy money and relics! And feel free to join us tonight!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I can't either.

I finally realized what Hawkian Mode really reminds me of and why I love it so much.

It's WarioWare: Mega Dungeon$ Edition

mingus

It's always interesting to see the people posting here in person in gw2. I get ready to say something but then knowing that I'll probably never represent for gaf and only have time to run dungeons with my guild I slowly back out and run away.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It's always interesting to see the people posting here in person in gw2. I get ready to say something but then knowing that I'll probably never represent for gaf and only have time to run dungeons with my guild I slowly back out and run away.

Wait, what? Not being rude, I just don't know if I get your post lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You should say hi and ask to party up if we're out in the open world! Impromptu adventuring shines in this game.

I got to 32 or 33 last night, maybe I'll just wait and do EXP mode.

Started using GS on my guardian again (after about 10 levels of mace+focus). So much more efficient, but maybe not as fun. =P

I like playing tanky and whittling down opponents, but for leveling it's not efficient I suppose.

Can't wait for 40 so I can unlock the next tier of talents.

Rawk Hawk

I got to 32 or 33 last night, maybe I'll just wait and do EXP mode.

Started using GS on my guardian again (after about 10 levels of mace+focus). So much more efficient, but maybe not as fun. =P

I like playing tanky and whittling down opponents, but for leveling it's not efficient I suppose.

Can't wait for 40 so I can unlock the next tier of talents.

Yea mace is a tough PVE weapon to find a great use for, GS is great for leveling. I liked Sword/Torch for leveling as well.

mingus

Wait, what? Not being rude, I just don't know if I get your post lol

I was in the gaf guild at one point but since starting one with friends I stopped representing and left to make room for other people. Not sure if I've seen you in game but for instance the other day I see Hawkian [GAF] and I'm like HEY I KNOW YOU but I don't really and I'm thinking about asking if anyone wants to do a dungeon but then some of my guildmates are online and they want to do something else and :/

Rawk Hawk

I was in the gaf guild at one point but since starting one with friends I stopped representing and left to make room for other people. Not sure if I've seen you in game but for instance the other day I see Hawkian [GAF] and I'm like HEY I KNOW YOU but I don't really and I'm thinking about asking if anyone wants to do a dungeon but then some of my guildmates are online and they want to do something else and :/

You should definitely say hi! Not everyone here is going to be in the same guild all the time, it's understandable that we all might have other friends that play the game. If you see Mrs Mizrahi or Mr Rawk Hawk be sure to wave.

That said, I did see a [GAF] guild that was not ours as well.. looked so weird seeing it but the name not being a different color.

Yea mace is a tough PVE weapon to find a great use for, GS is great for leveling. I liked Sword/Torch for leveling as well.
I dunno about guardians, but for warriors, mace is great for a defensive set. Combine with a shield for 2 blocks, 2 Stuns, and a Daze. It's really effective going up against heavy hitting bosses like lupicus.

Katoki

Thanks for the replies on the video card options. I'm seriously considering a 7950 after looking at the nvidia options. It's the maximum I'd spend, but the free games offer on newegg makes it really tempting. It seems like the nvidia cards that match the 7950 are much more expensive. Then again, it's kind of hard to gauge because so many people are reporting huge discrepancies in performance in GW2 with the same cards.

EDIT: Reading more, I was/am considering the 660ti, but impressions on these cards are all over the place. I get more confused about what to get the more I read.

I read that once you go below a certain threshold for NVIDIA which I think was either the 670 or 660ti, they say you get more for your money going 78xx. You might want to skim the last 10 or so pages of the I need a new PC thread though. I can't completely remember since I'm biased towards the green cards.

mingus

I'll def try to be more sociable in the future

I dunno about guardians, but for warriors, mace is great for a defensive set. Combine with a shield for 2 blocks, 2 Stuns, and a Daze. It's really effective going up against heavy hitting bosses like lupicus.

For guardians it's defensive as well, I run mace/focus for dungeon runs for the heals, protection, blind and blocks.

Rawk Hawk

It's not bad for guardians in a defensive roll, but for leveling up I just don't think it's extremely helpful. Even for the dungeons and bosses I've done (which admitting isn't many) I still find myself not needing that large of a defensive build, usually can keep better offensive weapons on and use dodge instead.

For guardians it's defensive as well, I run mace/focus for dungeon runs for the heals, protection, blind and blocks.

Yup, mace is definitely a cool defensive weapon (combined with focus), but it's not an efficient killer solo--despite being super fun.

Anybody use a shield on their guardian? It seems to be less defensive than focus, but I'm not sure.

I think I should just grab one of everything off of the AH and swap around while soloing to see what's fun.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Anyone know a good WvW build for Warrior? Preferably Greatsword build.

Been toying with it for a while, but I have problems catching people and getting hit with conditions. My build is pretty shitty though right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom