• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yup, mace is definitely a cool defensive weapon (combined with focus), but it's not an efficient killer solo--despite being super fun.

Anybody use a shield on their guardian? It seems to be less defensive than focus, but I'm not sure.

I think I should just grab one of everything off of the AH and swap around while soloing to see what's fun.

It's definitely a smart idea to try them all out.

I've been running Staff + Scepter/Focus for the longest time. Once I decide on my final build focus (I'm still unsure if I want to pursue Power/Prec/Crit or Power/Vit/Tough or Power/Tough/???), I'll probably just buy a set of exotics to have to swap between.

I should really post my build like Ash asked...

LkPr

Now that I am starting to run some dungeons (FoTM currently) and getting more high level gear I am curious ... what is everyone doing with regards to salvaging vs vendor? Which items should be sold at Vendor and which should just be salvaged? And which kits are best for the different rarities of gear?

I am lvl 400 in both crafting disciplines I currently care about on my main so it's not like I necessarily need to vendor items just to get the mats... at least not the low lvl mats.

Arcteryx

Now that I am starting to run some dungeons (FoTM currently) and getting more high level gear I am curious ... what is everyone doing with regards to salvaging vs vendor? Which items should be sold at Vendor and which should just be salvaged? And which kits are best for the different rarities of gear?

I am lvl 400 in both crafting disciplines I currently care about on my main so it's not like I necessarily need to vendor items just to get the mats... at least not the low lvl mats.

I've just been vendoring pretty much all blues/greens(check the TP first just in case) and TPing most rares depending on the current cost of ecto/the item itself(if it TPs for less than the cost of ecto, then I will just salvage it; but lately most of the rares I've been finding in FoTM have been 25s+, so above ecto pricing). Mats I usually save up until I see a good time to sell or just toss them(fuck you bananas).

Too much stuff on the TP and most of it is being sold under vendor cost :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Low level mats will outright sell higher than blues on the TP.

Greens are good for a silver to the merchant

Oddly, whites should always be sold on the TP for profit.

Salvage rares with a Master or Black Lion kit to get nomnom Ectos.
edit: Or sell them on the TP for the guaranteed silver, but lesser potential. With a BL kit it's worth it unless the particular rare sells for over 20 silver.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

My tips?

Sell all blues and greens (unless there's a rune/sigil in there you really want).

Check prices on all rares/exotics. Remember that a glob will go for ~25s, so base your decision on that. Personally, unless it's going for ~50s, I'll Master salvage it. I'll Black Lion salvage any exotics that I opt to not sell, mostly because they offer more ghost goo and potentially better runes.

So I'm tweaking around with my Engie build. I ran a heal/survival build for a short time, and while it was impressive that it played so completely differently from my main, I wasn't too happy with it unless I had a group taking advantage of all the combo fields laid down by the heals. So I've decided to focus less on outright tankiness and go for more of a condition/heal setup.

So what I have now is a build that blasts skills out quickly with minimal cooldown on my tool belt, stacking on conditions all over the place while having very effecting heals from an upgraded Supply Drop and an Elixir Gun that plops down Super Elixir for free when I switch to it. And speaking of switching, my setup has the tiniest window between kit cooldowns, so I can flip back and forth between kits to self-combo between the Elixir Gun and my Grenade Kit almost instantly, slapping on bleeds and poison simultaneously.

Since support builds for engineers should probably have Elixir R for revives and condition clears, I've ended up with a setup that has my endurance filling up fast while I spam conditions and combo fields. I'm not sure how effective it's going to be. I'm also not sure if I can avoid carpal tunnel syndrome with all the rolling and tool belt/skill bar abuse.

Against standard PvE situations it's been very effective. Whether it stands the test of a Fractals run or taking a hit from a glass cannon in WvW is another story...

You're in luck! I'm likely going to try a new build myself tonight! :p If I can afford 6/6 Lyssa Runes at least...I've done a LOT of gw2db browsing today, and I like the idea of having some mega heals...

jersoc

vendor blue/greens. check TP price on whites, sell if i'll get more than vendor. vendor otherwise. most of the time the time it's not worth selling what you would salvage. i haven't gotten goss cloth in forever.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'll take you to SE! Want the shoulders for my mes. Path 3's quite easy. Path 1 is gimmicky and brief, it's a little fractal-like, actually. 2 is long and tough.

I wouldn't mind rocking both if they're easy. Turns out I don't need AC for tokens (since that's not the gear I want), but it could be easy money still. BUT! SE for sure if you're down.

I was removed from the guild, who can I talk to to get an invite again?

PM one of the officers listed in the OP.

zon

2 poi and 1 vista until I have finally explored it all. Switching servers to explore WvWvW maps was the best decision I could've made.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've accepted I'm going to be on Fractal level 3 forever.
Above posts indicate that you are WRONG!
Depending on the fractals selected, level 3 (and I imagine all non-boss cycles) can be really quick, especially if you run and use tricks. I thought Snowblind was one of my least favorites at first, but now every time I play it I get psyched to beat my previous time parkouring to the bottom. Also pro-tip, skip every damn Svanir :p They really don't seem to drop anything good and literally all of them once you melt the ice wall are optional.

leng jai

Above posts indicate that you are WRONG!

lol I tried to do a fractal 3 run yesterday with Hawk but ended up going through level 2. Group disbanded after that and I had to go for a bit. Tried to to do it again later with Sophreila and Mornkor but my game crashed at the start and I said fuck it went to sleep.

Fml

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
lol I tried to do a fractal 3 run yesterday with Hawk but ended up going through level 2. Group disbanded after that and I had to go for a bit. Tried to to do it again later with Sophreila and Mornkor but my game crashed at the start and I said fuck it went to sleep.

Fml
Yeah, the 3 run I did later took like 1/3 as long as that 2 run did :p

edit: Yeeeeeah i'm gonna need a little nap when I get home to be able to you know stay alive

Complistic

Trying to get a competent fractals 1 group together for one of my alts I'm beginning to think is damn near impossible.

I guess I'll try again later.

Retro

You should definitely say hi! Not everyone here is going to be in the same guild all the time, it's understandable that we all might have other friends that play the game. If you see Mrs Mizrahi or Mr Rawk Hawk be sure to wave.

That said, I did see a [GAF] guild that was not ours as well.. looked so weird seeing it but the name not being a different color.

Yeah, somebody looked into it and the "Other GAF" is "Games Art Forums", some kind of Japanese videogame fanart forum. Often imitated, never duplicated, continually hated; Gaming Age Force [GAF].

Anyone know a good WvW build for Warrior? Preferably Greatsword build.

Been toying with it for a while, but I have problems catching people and getting hit with conditions. My build is pretty shitty though right now.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...Min-Max-home-of-the-Yojack-Build-2012-for-GW2

I'm running a variation on this build for dungeons; the condition removal/Vigor/swiftness from the warhorn, light healing from shouts (and once I have full Solider runes, condition removal there) and heavy crit/bleed is amazing.

It's not specifically for greatsword, but I imagine you would be alright dropping the rifle if you really wanted. All you'd lose is the versatility and long-range bleeds.

what is everyone doing with regards to salvaging vs vendor?

Salvage whites, vendor blues and greens, TP Yellows unless they have a decent rune/sigil.

I was removed from the guild, who can I talk to to get an invite again?

Send an in-game mail to Professor Retro if none of the officers are online, and I'll add you as soon as I get on next (which should be very soon).

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Yeah, somebody looked into it and the "Other GAF" is "Games Art Forums", some kind of Japanese videogame fanart forum. Often imitated, never duplicated, continually hated; Gaming Age Force [GAF].

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...Min-Max-home-of-the-Yojack-Build-2012-for-GW2

I'm running a variation on this build for dungeons; the condition removal/Vigor/swiftness from the warhorn, light healing from shouts (and once I have full Solider runes, condition removal there) and heavy crit/bleed is amazing.

It's not specifically for greatsword, but I imagine you would be alright dropping the rifle if you really wanted. All you'd lose is the versatility and long-range bleeds.

Salvage whites, vendor blues and greens, TP Yellows unless they have a decent rune/sigil.

Send an in-game mail to Professor Retro if none of the officers are online, and I'll add you as soon as I get on next (which should be very soon).

Whoo thanks!

etiolate

Banned
I'm still not happy with Ascended gear. They didn't need to improve stats. They needed to improve traits and they have needed to do so since beta.

The GW1 "endgame" never needed higher stats because all the skill combos provided nigh endless horizontal progression through messing around with builds. The same would work with GW2, but traits are not doing their job in providing that variety in builds and strategies.

Gear increase and resist checks does feel like a lazier approach than improving traits would be.

Retro

Whoo thanks!

No problem. That particular build was made for WvW, but like I said, with a few changes it's been amazing in dungeons as well.

I'm still not happy with Ascended gear. They didn't need to improve stats. They needed to improve traits and they have needed to do so since beta.

The GW1 "endgame" never needed higher stats because all the skill combos provided nigh endless horizontal progression through messing around with builds. The same would work with GW2, but traits are not doing their job in providing that variety in builds and strategies.

Gear increase and resist checks does feel like a lazier approach than improving traits would be.

I still think Ascended gear is better viewed as a course correction made 3 months after launch than a taste of things to come. The game launched, they identified a potential pitfall, and they addressed it. If they add another tier in a few months, then you can worry. And I'll be right along side you in doing so.

Complistic

=
I still think Ascended gear is better viewed as a course correction made 3 months after launch than a taste of things to come. The game launched, they identified a potential pitfall, and they addressed it. If they add another tier in a few months, then you can worry. And I'll be right along side you in doing so.

This is how I came to feel about it as well. There was a gap that needed to be filled. They filled it. If they continue to pump out tiers then we have a problem. But only then.

etiolate

Banned
I didn't really think there was a gap. There were rarer gear between exotics and Legendaries and those were the harder to get/make Exotics. They were more rare, just not given an official tier name. Same thing with T3 cultural armor, that is satistically worse than dungeon sets, but probably harder to get.

KuroNeeko

Finally got to run AsCat story mode with my Engineer last night. It was her first dungeon experience, my second time doing that run, and my first time actually leading a group.

It ended up being me and four chinese doods, only one of them speaking english, going through the whole thing. Guy says, I don think this one speak Chinese? "Sorry, only English and Japanese..." (awkward) (THANKS GAF! RUN WITH THE LITTLE GUYS SOME TIME!)

About 90 minutes or so later, my battered, bloody Engineer crawled out of those Catacombs with a shiny, bad ass swashbuckler hat in her iron grip. Seriously, we wiped constantly. It was bloody, messy, and chaotic.

But we did it.

No one dropped. No one complained. We adjusted our tactics with each fight and learned a lot. It was a shit load of fun.

I had the pleasure to run a group of three fractals with GAF over the weekend. The group leader was efficient and knowledgeable. He'd stop and fill everyone in on what they needed to do before we did it and we got through without too much of a hassle. It was a lot of fun, too.

So while there is a lot to be said for running in guild groups, last night I think I preferred the learn-as-you-go approach. It made us better players and I really felt like I'd accomplished something. It took us about 5 tries to finally take down those Lovers but when we did, I had to scream YESSSSSSSS! (in party chat) and watch the screen fill up with chinese characters as they like-wise screamed in what I imagined to be the all-caps equivalent of chinese characters.

Having said that, my Engineer died A LOT. I was running Rifle, Healing Turret, and Elixir Gun. I alternated my other utility skills between Rocket Turret, Grenade Kit, Elixir C, and Prayer to Kormir (goddamn Rangers / Necromancers!!!)

The Engineer experience wasn't as fun as I'd expected. I don't know, maybe I was expecting the Elixir Gun to make me this awesome healing / kiting machine but I just couldn't keep my teammates up or they'd often run out of the Elixir Gun 5 AoE heal.

Once an enemy got on me, it was hard to shake them off even with permanent swiftness. I thought my conditions with Bleed on Crit, Elixir C, Elixir Gun, Grenade Kit would have a bigger effect on battles but they didn't.

I left the dungeon thinking that I'd finally managed to eliminate one of my characters from lists of candidates for my main... until I tried on my AsCat hat! Maybe I'll go back and try some other builds or just something. I felt more useful, but a SHIT load more squishy than my Mesmer and Necromancer.

So I'm tweaking around with my Engie build. I ran a heal/survival build for a short time, and while it was impressive that it played so completely differently from my main, I wasn't too happy with it unless I had a group taking advantage of all the combo fields laid down by the heals. So I've decided to focus less on outright tankiness and go for more of a condition/heal setup.

So what I have now is a build that blasts skills out quickly with minimal cooldown on my tool belt, stacking on conditions all over the place while having very effecting heals from an upgraded Supply Drop and an Elixir Gun that plops down Super Elixir for free when I switch to it. And speaking of switching, my setup has the tiniest window between kit cooldowns, so I can flip back and forth between kits to self-combo between the Elixir Gun and my Grenade Kit almost instantly, slapping on bleeds and poison simultaneously.

Since support builds for engineers should probably have Elixir R for revives and condition clears, I've ended up with a setup that has my endurance filling up fast while I spam conditions and combo fields. I'm not sure how effective it's going to be. I'm also not sure if I can avoid carpal tunnel syndrome with all the rolling and tool belt/skill bar abuse.

Against standard PvE situations it's been very effective. Whether it stands the test of a Fractals run or taking a hit from a glass cannon in WvW is another story...

Wow, sounds like you're having a blast;D Engineer is probably why I have a hard time going back to Necro. I like the Necro in groups, by after 32 levels of hyperactive, Engineer play - it's hard to go back. Mesmer has complexity but I haven't found a build I like yet.

SO I just got the game today. Looked around the first post and couldn't find anything,

Is there a GAF server that everyone is playing on? If not, any recommendations on what server to roll on when I get it installed?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
ArenaNet is sending out surveys concerning the weekend events. Hope they take feedback properly and never do zerg events like it ever again.

The only upside is that it was a great example of combat breaks down when there's more than 5 people in a fight. There's no way they missed that.

Ashodin

SO I just got the game today. Looked around the first post and couldn't find anything,

Is there a GAF server that everyone is playing on? If not, any recommendations on what server to roll on when I get it installed?

You telling me you missed this image? :p

bannerxvyypy.png

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ArenaNet is sending out surveys concerning the weekend events. Hope they take feedback properly and never do zerg events like it ever again.

The only upside is that it was a great example of combat breaks down when there's more than 5 people in a fight. There's no way they missed that.
I would just advise that you temper your expectations, because not everyone had the same experience and feedback will reflect that. I don't think the problems with the event had anything at all to do with the fact that it was massive in scale.

Did you take part in the secondary, overflow GAF run by any chance?

This is how I came to feel about it as well. There was a gap that needed to be filled. They filled it. If they continue to pump out tiers then we have a problem. But only then.
There was no gap.

The whole point of exotics being easy to get is so that, y'know, capping out on stats is easy to get. The ascension gear is an obvious concession to players who just want that damn carrot. If they end up being even twice as hard to get as standard exotics they'll end up being a rather irritating barrier for new players and players without large amounts of available playtime.

And current exotics are arguably too difficult to attain already for players who want multiple builds on the same character...

Boogdud

If there was a gear gap, it was between rare and exotic, not exotic and legendary.

I have a very hard time believing there was any real need for a gear tier other than caving to the gear-progression crowd. If it was a balance issue, that's what skill patches and modifying stats on existing gear are for, let's be honest here. I don't fault them for wanting to go that way to retain the rock stars, but it's just not my thing.

etiolate

Banned
I only have one set of gear. I don't really look forward to immediately assembling a new set of gear for other purposes. I guess I should do magic find, but I don't make gold at a high rate due to finding Orr zerging to be unenjoyable most of the time.

Plus, if the exotics are doomed to be oudated stat-wise, I kind of lose interest in growing my selection of them. I could craft exotic ring to be in full exotics, but why do that when there will be ascended rings to replace it in a couple months? There is no visual gain to these items as you can't see them on your character. Their value is entirely a straight stat adjustments.

Yes, this is the sort of problem they've dug themselves into.

Forkball

I managed to garner up 42k karma, but the Orr set for medium armor looks so ugly I don't really need karma vendors anymore since my gear is good enough. I guess I could buy recipes? Are there any other armor sets I don't know about that can be bought with karma?

I also played SPVP for a while and had a lot of fun. Mesmers are so annoying to fight against though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I managed to garner up 42k karma, but the Orr set for medium armor looks so ugly I don't really need karma vendors anymore since my gear is good enough. I guess I could buy recipes? Are there any other armor sets I don't know about that can be bought with karma?

I also played SPVP for a while and had a lot of fun. Mesmers are so annoying to fight against though.

Probably at least worth browsing this.

And sPvP is fun, but I also dislike Mesmers. I can't stand engis either...Turret camping the cap point is painful.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Seems to be missing the Ebon Vanguard weapon skins you can buy in Ebonhawke?

Remember Forkball, you could buy the Karma gear in Orr for the stats, then transmute it with a cheap piece that has the skin you want.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
That's awesome, thanks Nic. Kind of like the pirate hammer, my have to make that my hammer skin.

No problem. It's not a full list, but it's at least a starting point. GW2DB is great, too - but I have trouble just browsing sometimes.

Seems to be missing the Ebon Vanguard weapon skins you can buy in Ebonhawke?

Remember Forkball, you could buy the Karma gear in Orr for the stats, then transmute it with a cheap piece that has the skin you want.

And also this. That's why I posted that link, for trans purposes. :)

Wallach

Sentenza's donezo, baby. Level 80 number two. Time to slather him in exotics to go with his shiny new ascended quiver. Thank god for crafting and account bound tokens.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Sentenza's donezo, baby. Level 80 number two. Time to slather him in exotics to go with his shiny new ascended quiver. Thank god for crafting and account bound tokens.

Nice. I logged into my Necro yesterday (my first 80, done during the first 1.5 weeks of release straight thuggin). Turns out, my gear is COMPLETE shit on her. Like, level 45-50 stuff, hahaha. SO good. I could probably gear her up quick, but I STILL need to farm dem t6 mats (which I need for my back for my Guardian more than anything).

Arcteryx

There was no gap.

The whole point of exotics being easy to get is so that, y'know, capping out on stats is easy to get. The ascension gear is an obvious concession to players who just want that damn carrot. If they end up being even twice as hard to get as standard exotics they'll end up being a rather irritating barrier for new players and players without large amounts of available playtime.

And current exotics are arguably too difficult to attain already for players who want multiple builds on the same character...

Beg to differ. Run dungeons + daily(for karma rewards) = multiple sets in zero time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Goddamn. I shouldn't have slept. What did you gain, 23 levels yesterday?
Beg to differ. Run dungeons + daily(for karma rewards) = multiple sets in zero time.
He is 100% anti-dungeon, but even without doing them there are lots of ways to make money/karma now and of course you can mix and match. Being willing to buy non-80 exotics, by the way, can save you tons for a pretty negligible difference in stats.

That said, T3 cultural armor (which he also wants) will require a lot more than just any old exotic set. A lot of the motivation for the game is choosing for yourself what you prioritize most and working toward that.

Vossler

Continued on my thief last night, I get the feeling that this will be my main alt. Combat is really fun, and ghosting in and out of stealth rocks. I will still level my guardian, but I am going to concentrate on my thief for the time being. I think I may be "Rangered" out, even though he is my only level 80, due to the cooler abilities of other classes. Really hoping that the ranger gets a buff soon.

ANy tips on quickest leveling up? Was going to foray into WvWvW for a while, thinking that is the quickest way outside of the story...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom