• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

etiolate

Banned
Yeah not really feeling Toypacalypse. The group I got into was stunning the last mobs of a wave to go around and gather materials and build a ton of defenses. It was pretty tedious yet effective. Then one the waves started coming, half the people left midway through and eventually we didn't have enough to keep things going. It doesn't help that the weapons for your character are mostly useless outside of smashing things for resources.

Dreavus

What's a good armor rune set for a power/mantra-focused mesmer? (GS and S/P, 30-10-5-25-0, Knight's armor)

I was just going to put ruby jewels in to squeeze more damage out of my build, but I'm trying to decide if something like the "of the Mesmer" rune set would be better... is the extended Daze worth it over the extra crit damage? Any other rune set ideas?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
That was the biggest bullshit ever. We were just about to cap SM when the new build annoucenment came and shut down WvW instantly.

F you Anet! Fix this shit!

Ceebs

Well damn. Bought this game today through their store to play over the holiday break and managed to leave out a letter of my email address and there was no confirm page to make sure my info was correct.

So out 45 bucks while I wait for their (Online only? Really?) support to get around to me.

Never played a GW game before, but this one has me curious. If I got it I'd download a program to play it with a 360 controller- has anyone done that, and how well does it work?

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Just finished my COE set. Favorite skin so far.

sezOP.jpg

Dreavus

What's a good armor rune set for a power/mantra-focused mesmer? (GS and S/P, 30-10-5-25-0, Knight's armor)

I was just going to put ruby jewels in to squeeze more damage out of my build, but I'm trying to decide if something like the "of the Mesmer" rune set would be better... is the extended Daze worth it over the extra crit damage? Any other rune set ideas?

Meh, ended up doing emerald orbs for now. I figure Runes of the Eagle would be ideal but I'm not going to pay 4 gold each. :(

jersoc

the new fractal changes seem nice, but how many people are going to take someone that below all the time? I can see people doing a +/-5'ish levels. Still maybe i'll have an easier timing finding a group now at level 6.

too bad those are a month away.

Abandond

I'm annoyed. I wanted incinerator originally and I'm almost there, but I've been using scepter so much more recently and now I want that instead. On the plus side, I can sell the spark and buy the scepter precursor and almost all the mats but I already made a gift of metal and baelfire. >_<

Cool, with the update, another free bag and 200 cogs again.

RNG is so poor in this game.

I mean nice I got a free gift I wasn't expecting, which had another 15 slot bag and 250 cogs (I can make 3rd pet?), but it then gave me 2 MORE lvl10 Toy Maker bags (so I now have 3), plus a PVP!

Not sure I feel lucky or not.

Dries

Please don't tell me there is a chest every time you complete a Tixx airship event......... Just did the LA one and found it, but didn't find any when completing hometown events.

There has always been a chest in the middle of the airship once you completed it.

A lot of people would leave right after killing Toxx and forget the chest.

I made sure I reminded people Everytime I did those dungeons.

Retro

Never played a GW game before, but this one has me curious. If I got it I'd download a program to play it with a 360 controller- has anyone done that, and how well does it work?

Wow, did you pick the worst time to ask that question, as Hawkian has done pretty extensive work getting GW2 to work with a controller. Unfortunately, he's banned, but I can direct you towards his thread on GAFGuild.com, which he can actually respond to if you have further questions.

http://gafguild.com/index.php?threads/controller-gaf-configs.52/

You may need to register to read it, but if you're going to play GW2 with GAF, you might as well.

But to answer your question about how well it works, apparently very well.

Yeah, I've played with the controller. It's very responsive, almost like the game was made for it. The problem comes with the fact that I just felt like I had a disadvantage especially if I was doing PvP. It just seemed so much easier to use a Keyboard/Mouse. Maybe becuase I was just used to that setup for MMOs.

Ghost23

My fps seems lower than usual today. I'm typically 60fps everywhere besides LA and WvW, but today I'm getting 30fps everywhere. Weird....

Ghost23

Wow, did you pick the worst time to ask that question, as Hawkian has done pretty extensive work getting GW2 to work with a controller. Unfortunately, he's banned, but I can direct you towards his thread on GAFGuild.com, which he can actually respond to if you have further questions.

You may need to register to read it, but if you're going to play GW2 with GAF, you might as well.

As an elementalist, I have a bunch of AoE spells. How does this work with a controller?

I bought the game today, gonna try it out tonight with a controller. I have Pinnacle Game Profiler, so I'll see about trying out ther preset for it, see how it works. Any advice on a good class for controller play, ie, one that doesn't require quite as many buttons? I usually like Mage characters, but I can switch if need be...

Retro

As an elementalist, I have a bunch of AoE spells. How does this work with a controller?

I haven't tried it, but from what Hawkian and Weltall have said, I believe your cursor is automatically centered and you 'look' to aim where it lands. It sounds odd, but they say it works.

/shrug

Ghost23

I bought the game today, gonna try it out tonight with a controller. I have Pinnacle Game Profiler, so I'll see about trying out ther preset for it, see how it works. Any advice on a good class for controller play, ie, one that doesn't require quite as many buttons? I usually like Mage characters, but I can switch if need be...

I love playing as elementalist (lvl 35 atm). I am just now trying a controller though, so I'm not too much help there.

Dreavus

How do you like mantras? I played around before the last patch, but they seemed slow especially without the GM trait.

Yeah, I'm using the trait that gives three activations and the trait that provides an AoE heal when you charge a mantra (about 2.7k AoE healing, and that's with my healing power mostly unaugmented outside of traits). I primarily use Mantra of Recovery and Mantra of Pain. I think the recent 1 second reduction to mantra charge times has helped mantras feel more viable. I didn't bother going all in with the "extra damage for each charged mantra" trait because you lose a lot of flexibility. (I usually use utilities like feedback and phantasmal defender to support).

It's actually turned out to be a pretty hardy build for PvE. You basically have 5 "charges" to provide healing (charging MoR, 3 activations out of your heal, charging MoP), and coupled with lots of toughness from Knights armor I can take quite a beating. There is also a trait that "removes a condition when you heal", which counts for all 3 activations of MoR! Other than the Mantras it's a power/precision phantasm build that can put out some good damage too.

Another fun thing about Mantras is that they can be cast at any time. You can pop a few heal charges even if you're knocked down or being pushed back. You can also make the most of your charge times by attacking with MoP while you're charging MoR, heal with MoR while your charging MoP, or attack with MoP while also auto attacking with your weapon. MoR only has a 10 second cooldown when you use up the last charge, and MoP only has a 1 second cooldown, so I can reliably keep my health up.

I don't know if it's the best build I could be doing, but I'm pretty hard to kill and am able to support my team a bit. I really am not a fan of glass cannon builds, especially in dungeons, so it's awesome being able to survive pretty much anything.

nataku

Yeah, I'm using the trait that gives three activations and the trait that provides an AoE heal when you charge a mantra (about 2.7k AoE healing, and that's with my healing power mostly unaugmented outside of traits). I primarily use Mantra of Recovery and Mantra of Pain. I think the recent 1 second reduction to mantra charge times has helped mantras feel more viable. I didn't bother going all in with the "extra damage for each charged mantra" trait because you lose a lot of flexibility. (I usually use utilities like feedback and phantasmal defender to support).

It's actually turned out to be a pretty hardy build for PvE. You basically have 5 "charges" to provide healing (charging MoR, 3 activations out of your heal, charging MoP), and coupled with lots of toughness from Knights armor I can take quite a beating. There is also a trait that "removes a condition when you heal", which counts for all 3 activations of MoR! Other than the Mantras it's a power/precision phantasm build that can put out some good damage too.

Another fun thing about Mantras is that they can be cast at any time. You can pop a few heal charges even if you're knocked down or being pushed back. You can also make the most of your charge times by attacking with MoP while you're charging MoR, heal with MoR while your charging MoP, or attack with MoP while also auto attacking with your weapon. MoR only has a 10 second cooldown when you use up the last charge, and MoP only has a 1 second cooldown, so I can reliably keep my health up.

I don't know if it's the best build I could be doing, but I'm pretty hard to kill and am able to support my team a bit. I really am not a fan of glass cannon builds, especially in dungeons, so it's awesome being able to survive pretty much anything.

That sounds interesting. Would you mind posting your build?

Dreavus

That sounds interesting. Would you mind posting your build?

Sure, here's a link. Using knights armor with emerald orbs and Cavalier/Divine/Soldier's accesories with Berserker jewels.

I'm still toying with the idea of taking 5 from Chaos and inspiration and putting 20 into Dueling for the Deceptive evasion, but the minor on the way there is pretty useless to me since I have very little condition damage (although maybe it's still worth it?).

The 5 in Chaos could also be put in Illusions, but I feel like I can make better use of the toughness, and Greatsword training takes care of most of my cooldown reductions already.

Any thoughts? I'm sure I could optimize in lots of places.

KuroNeeko

Sure, here's a link. Using knights armor with emerald orbs and Cavalier/Divine/Soldier's accesories with Berserker jewels.

I'm still toying with the idea of taking 5 from Chaos and inspiration and putting 20 into Dueling for the Deceptive evasion, but the minor on the way there is pretty useless to me since I have very little condition damage (although maybe it's still worth it?).

The 5 in Chaos could also be put in Illusions, but I feel like I can make better use of the toughness, and Greatsword training takes care of most of my cooldown reductions already.

Any thoughts? I'm sure I could optimize in lots of places.

Yeah, Mantras were the first thing I wanted to try after the patch. Unfortunately, I nuked my Mesmer main to reroll as a Sylvari so I'm still sitting at level 10. Will keep this build in mind though while I'm leveling;D

Giard

mantra stuff

I'm using a similar build, tried to concentrate on support. My auto-attack is Mantra of Pain, I'm healing my party and myself for about 3k every 6 seconds (not counting regeneration from my phantasms or my Sigil of Water). I also use a focus with Warden's Feedback and glamour skills for even more combo fields (Null Field and Feedback).

etiolate

Banned
Yeah, Mantra of Pain healing is pretty good. Running some tests, I haven't found that taking healing stats buffs the heal all too much. When the mantra heal had no heal limit, MoP healing in an Orr zerg or wvwvw was pretty kerrazy.

Probably already playing, but really, any class can handle itself well once you know what you're doing. That said, you will probably have an easier time with Ranger or Guardian.

I went with Elementalist, seems to be going okay so far. And after a while to figure it all out, seems to be playing fine with the controller

etiolate

Banned
I like the Fractal changes they have planned, but they shouldn't have launched FotM and Ascended gear in the state they launched in. After the change, I can hopefully do some 10 Fractal daily groups to actually level up to 10+. I've been stuck on 6 for a long time.

This still leaves the Ascended gear problem to be fixed though. You can't have horizontal progression AND vertical progression when Horizontal is still tied to stats, and top stats are markedly harder to get than the tier below.

jersoc

May be a dumb question but what are Fractals? Noticed one of the monthly achievements is to beat so many Fractals.

not sure if anyone answered you. it's the newest dungeon that was added in nov. it's got like 9? dungeons. you randomly get 3 of them. completing the 3 increases your fractal level. the mobs get harder and loot gets better as you go up.

it's not a bad dungeon, but finding a group for your specific level can be trying. i'm of the opinion spamming LFG in trade is stupid and outdated. They are changing it up next month so that lower levels can run with higher levels and get a level increase. anyone equal or lower than the fract level will increase by 1. anyone higher gets karma, which we don't know the amount.

the problem with that is i highly a level 20 person will want a level 4 in the group.

I'm not a huge MMO guy- occasionally I'll try one for about 20 hours and then lose interest. The thing I like about this one so far (after 2 hours) is that it seems it encourages exploration- pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom