• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man that was kinda sad when Tybalt died, I kinda liked him

Also does anybody have advice on the crafting thing I posted a couple pages back? It was just about if it is worthwhile to level up huntsman/leatherworking right now at level 50 or wait till im 80 and go for the full 400. Mainly I would like to know if I'm missing out on not leveling them right now

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Man that was kinda sad when Tybalt died, I kinda liked him

Also does anybody have advice on the crafting thing I posted a couple pages back? It was just about if it is worthwhile to level up huntsman/leatherworking right now at level 50 or wait till im 80 and go for the full 400. Mainly I would like to know if I'm missing out on not leveling them right now

You're missing out on a massive amount of exp if you do it at lvl 80

Levyne

Banned
The only thing you are missing is the cheap exp you can get for your character by crafting now. It seems professions like tailor and the armor making ones can be hard to level cheaply because there aren't discovery options like potions for artificer. Most of the discoveries are either the usual armor pieces that require fine materials or bags which require often "too expensive to bother" runes of holding.

Divvy

Well if you're going to level crafting, you might as well do it when you can still use the exp. If you have the money that is. Crafting mats have been skyrocketing in price lately though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
lol, I'm about to get my Ele to 30 and introduce him to the lovers too :p

It really is such damn good XP, hard to resist

Divvy

what;s maw?

Frozen Maw event chain in wayfarer foothills plus the other events in the immediate vicinity. It runs like 3 times an hour, lasts like 5 minutes and you get a chest at the end. You get like 2 levels every 3 hours, but most of that is just idling waiting for the events to start. Great for people who have other things to do :p

They're totally going to nerf it soon.

Divvy

I've still never done that a single time, lol. Should try it

At primetime, there's like a flood of people doing it. It's pretty profitable for high levels too. Put in like 10 minutes of effort per hour, get 3 chests that might have some rares in it? Yeah they're so gonna nerf that soon.

Retro

Q&A Session is over;

Will be editing their comments in as it streams:
Professions / Balance
- They have separate balance numbers for PVE and PVP.
- Still work to be done to bring all the classes up to par.
- Classes may get more weapon choices from the existing pool later on. They seem kind of coy about it. The question specifically mentioned elementalists getting swords. No, Arken, SCYTHES FOR GUARDIANS WERE NOT MENTIONED.
- Ele bunker is kinda strong, they are watching.
- Portal Mesmers give them problems because they've become vital to certain kinds of content. They think it's kinda cool though.
- One solution is to give these things to other classes or available in other ways.

AOE "Nerf":
- AOE changes are not a quick fix, they are looking at a lot of data. They want to make sure it is not the be-all-end-all for damage.
- AOE builds are too powerful against downed players (too easy to hit downed target and those trying to heal them).
- It is not going to be done quickly, they are looking at everything carefully.

WvW
- Defining Progression in WvW: they are encouraging people to defend, break away from the 'zerg mentality' and spread out.
- Try to reward the players directly rather than Server score being the metric for victory.
- WvW specific skills; can only be used in WvW. Example; more guard damage, carry more supply, Siege skills, move speed. Very sketchy in the details, just experimenting.
- Culling changes should go in WvW first, but they want to do it in all game modes.
- They do not want player nameplates in WvW, they want it to focus on World vs. World. Maybe pay to display your name, but they are concerned about harassment.
- Advancement in WvW will be similar to advancement in other areas of the game.
- Ascended gear is being tossed around as available via WvW, but nothing definite yet.

PVP
- Custom Arenas will cost money to host, where you rent the arena from them. Lots of things can be turned on and off.
- They are looking at Capture the Flag, Deathmatch, 1v1 duels. These things come up all the time in meetings. These are things they really want to add to custom arenas.
- Guild vs. Guild is something they want to get in.
- They have tested and are looking at CTF, but Conquest is the 'bedrock' of their PVP for now. Everything they add works within that framework.
- Some things sound good on paper, but don't play very well.
- Tried MOBA and Dodgeball game types (lol)
- They still want GW2 to be an e-sport, but admit that the things needed for it are not there, but they are working on it. Spectator mode and stuff is required and they understand how frustrating it is.
- The current Metagame needs expansion; more roles being introduced (Trying to scale back Bunker builds, but not remove them entirely).

Dungeons
- More environmental fights
- More fights that change as they go on.

Fractals
- Reconnecting and "Tier-ism" in Fractals will be fixed in the next build. Tier restrictions removed, you can scale to the highest tier that a group member has completed.
- Fractal rewards are based on your level, not the level the fractal is.
- They want to add more Fractals, they built it to scale with players and add new content quickly.

Content changes
- Next build will change Orr, adding new effects, environment zones, events. New rewards as well.
- The Profession-specific chests we saw in the 2013 Update can include armor and weapons specific to those professions. It did not sound like they will have new skins.
- Crowns are a new currency for achievements.
- Achievement crowns will be for daily and monthlies for now, later on they will retroactively apply them to other stuff.
- Daily and Monthly achievements are tied to new content to get players to go into them.
- January monthly achievement will not give crowns, just do it now.

Development Process
- ArenaNet prefers to fix things first rather than reiterate or create new content.
- Prefer to reiterate rather than build new content. They seem to have learned a lot from Fractals that they want to apply to the original dungeons.
- There are lots of specific teams that focus on all areas of the game; there is always constant work being done in all areas, nothing gets left by the wayside.
- Better scripting tools will allow them to improve content more than they could before.
- They want to say more, but they can't because they don't want to be seen as lying to the players.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I say we do Wayfarer Foothills today. I'd be down for that later. I never did that event, either.
Oh hell yeah, Icerender will be happy to come along. He'll fit right in. What time?

edit: Next build will change Orr whaaat.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Nice to hear that they'll be working on Orr. Wonder when they'll make South sun Cove a worthwhile place to go. That ended up being kind of a dud.

Achtius

Q&A Session is over;

Fractals
- Reconnecting and "Tier-ism" in Fractals will be fixed in the next build. Tier restrictions removed, you can scale to the highest tier that a group member has completed.
- Fractal rewards are based on your level, not the level the fractal is.
- They want to add more Fractals, they built it to scale with players and add new content quickly.

oh nice, i can join you guys then! :D

Nice to hear that they'll be working on Orr. Wonder when they'll make South sun Cove a worthwhile place to go. That ended up being kind of a dud.

Are there even any meta events in South Sun Cove? I go there for easy Orichalcum, Mithril, and Ancient Wood, lol.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Are there even any meta events in South Sun Cove? I go there for easy Orichalcum, Mithril, and Ancient Wood, lol.

No.

There are 7 Dynamic Events total, compared to 40+ in the Orr maps (which also have multiple meta events).

Right now there's the material nodes you've mentioned, and mobs that drop all, or almost all of the T6 mats. It's a pretty place to lazily farm if you're working toward something. Otherwise there's really nothing to do there, but it's an open canvas.

Grayman

Q&A Session is over;

Will be editing their comments in as it streams:
Professions / Balance
- Classes may get more weapon choices from the existing pool later on. They seem kind of coy about it. The question specifically mentioned elementalists getting swords. No, Arken, SCYTHES FOR GUARDIANS WERE NOT MENTIONED.
I always thought this would be saved for an xpack but I cannot complain about it being free if it happens that way.

Dunlop

Logged on to check how the game plays on my new videocard and tried out a fotm

prety awesome (I quit pre-fractal)..however my guild seems to be dead

can I get an invite?

dunlop.1654

ON the same note, what should I be doing for "dailies" now?

Logged on to check how the game plays on my new videocard and tried out a fotm

prety awesome (I quit pre-fractal)..however my guild seems to be dead

can I get an invite?

dunlop.1654

There is a daily achievement which you can see in your hero tab, under achievements.
There is also daily reward for completing any of the following fractals,
Level 2, 4, 6 or 8
Level 10, 12, 14, 16 or 18
and so on, every 10 levels you are in a harder tier so it has it's own daily.

Agony condition starts affecting you after level 10, but only during boss battles.

Lulubop

Holy shit, I was gonna make this whole big post about how I wish Ele's had a real Melee weapon (not including the conjured weapons) and I was going to specifically mention Sword and Shield.

Make it happen Anet.

Holy shit, I was gonna make this whole big post about how I wish Ele's had a real Melee weapon (not including the conjured weapons) and I was going to specifically mention Sword and Shield.

Make it happen Anet.
I feel like even if they add swords it will just be an extension of spells, similar to Mesmer and GS and it won't really be Melee then.

What crafting should I focus on (as in will actually use - prob craft others later - when I feel liek it) for a warrior?

Armorsmith for sure. Jewelcrafter is good to level slightly behind or ahead of it. Weaponsmith is somewhat less efficient to level since it takes all the same metals and fine crafting material that armorsmith uses.

What crafting should I focus on (as in will actually use - prob craft others later - when I feel liek it) for a warrior?

I went with armorsmith and cooking.

Cooking I loved because of the boosts and stuff you get from what you make, especially once you level up. I like to go between tanky and mid-range attack playstyles. I found cooking really beneficial for how I like to play.

Armorsmith isn't really that useful once you start dungeons outside of being able to make slot chests for storage upgrades and making some coin selling rare crap you craft (you can make a good amount here). You'll find better armor quicker via dungeons and other things though.

Retro

I always thought this would be saved for an xpack but I cannot complain about it being free if it happens that way.

Just to be 100% clear, someone asked if they would consider giving certain classes more weapon choices, and used "Elementalists with swords" as their example. I don't have a recording of the stream, and maybe it was just me, but it sounded like they were kind of chuckling as they sidestepped the comment.

If I were going to suggest anything though, it'd be Thieves either getting Offhand sword or Staff. Since the later would probably require a lot of animation, I dunno if it will happen, but it certainly sounds cool and the class is kind of lacking support options.

can I get an invite?

Looks like somebody invited you last night, so check your guild tab.

For daily achievements, check your Hero tab. They're usually pretty easy if you don't wait until the last minute.

Make it happen Anet.

Dagger/Dagger is kind of the closest they've come to melee with the exception of Conjured weapons.

My preference? If/when they implement fist weapons, Elementalists use Gauntlets as a casting focus to generate elemental melee weapon attacks; a flame whip, lightning spear, a huge stone hammer and icy claws.

I may just slap together a rough concept for those if I feel like doing something creative over the weekend.

JC uses metals as well so you'll still have to to go heavy on the mining if you combine it with Armor or Weaponsmithing. Especially as it starts to take quite a bit of metal in the higher tiers with Rings/Hoops/Chains + Settings + Filigrees.

Btw guys I'm new to the forums but I've been playing the game since beta weekends. Haven't really had success with Guilds thus far though so I'm looking to join Gaf-Guild if I can. I really just want to be able to run some dungeons. I haven't had a ton of success getting groups since the first month. P/D + SB Condition Thief isn't exactly the most sought after for Dungeons.

Retro

Btw guys I'm new to the forums but I've been playing the game since beta weekends. Haven't really had success with Guilds thus far though so I'm looking to join Gaf-Guild if I can.

We play on Stormbluff Isle, but when Guesting goes live later this month, it won't really matter unless you're on an EU server (to which I would suggest coming to SBI, a lot of EU players are there and have no complaints). Just PM me your account name.#### or a character name and I'll get you in. Alternatively, you can send me an in-game mail (just tell me who you are) and I'll invite you that way.

Unless you have a lot of umlauts and carons and macrons in your character name, in which case you can forget it, XxSēphǐröthxx, I'm not looking up the damn Unicode.
JUWnj.gif

Lunar15

I'm looking to join the GAF-Guild some time at the end of the month (this month is crazy busy), but I also have two or three non GAF friends that would love to join me. Is this cool?

The guild we were in imploded, and it's so much better to run dungeons with a guild.

Retro

I'm looking to join the GAF-Guild some time at the end of the month (this month is crazy busy), but I also have two or three non GAF friends that would love to join me. Is this cool?

The guild we were in imploded, and it's so much better to run dungeons with a guild.

We've always had an open-door policy on friends and family in the guild. We just ask that everyone register at Gafguild.com so they can see updates, events, the guild's policies, etc. We also kind of ask that people make sure their friends and family are aware of how GAF is. We stick pretty close to the forum's TOS, so there's no rules against profanity and off-color humor, but trolling/excessive whining and especially sexist/racist/homophobic language is completely off the table.

Since they don't have a GAF account this makes it so nobody falls through the cracks news-wise, and they know roughly what to expect.

Speaking of news, Jepsen is running a Jumping Puzzle Event tomorrow, see Gafguild.com for more details.

Welcome, but I'm not sure when guesting privileges are going to be implemented. I think you'll want to transfer to avoid possible fees just in case.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
2 (which as a ratio to Js would be 2/4 which can be reduced to 1/2 or 50% meaning roughly one JP for every 2 Js in the J4)

Give me rifle/dual pistol mesmer please!

Rawk Hawk

To the Guards out there, what Sigil do you think works best for the staff? I was thinking energy, but I'm not really sure. I have accuracy on my GS for AH and EM, not sure what to put on my staff though. Suggestions welcome!

Edit: Achtius is back!

I use energy on my hammer and staff, which are usually the two I have equiped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom