• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Appreciate your thoughts, irfaanator. I'm really interested in hearing someone talk about their impression of rolling a Thief. I hadn't really ever considered them but it seems like the GW2 forums mention them in every class' thread. Heck, even Divvy just mentioned that Thieves mess people up one on one (well, W anyway). Team Mesmer and Team Thief, make me rally to your cause!

The only run I've ever done where it seems like classism is necessary is that Arah 4 Dwayna boss, no idea how you'd do that without Time Warp and 2 dps warriors. And I'm sure as the path gets more familiar you'll see the "requirement" for certain classes decrease.

I've read a W can solo that path on the GW2 forums. I still need to do the story mode for that dungeon to complete my personal story! I've waited since the game came out, pretty much for my friends to do it with me. They just finally uncovered it on the map this last week or so but we will probably do the dungeons in order still. Next one up is CotF. That reminds me, I need two more dungeon runs to finish the monthly requirement. I got all the other progress from trying exploration mode for the first time, knocked out all the AC paths.

Proven

When it comes to WvW survivability, Thieves and D/D Eles are considered kings, with Mesmers literally a half step under them. Check this guy for what Mesmers can do: http://www.youtube.com/user/MultiPoise

Right under Mesmers are Guardians. Those four classes are the best when it comes to dealing with overwhelming odds at this point. Thieves stealth around all damage, Eles negate most damage and regen the rest, Mesmers do a little of both, and Guardians at this point are like weaker versions of Eles; more attack power, but less survivability. I swear to god if they just nerf Ride the Lightning to 600-900 range I'll never let an Ele getaway without one of us dead.

So the territories in WvW reset and shift today, right? Even if we keep the same opponents? God I hope it shifts our side to the territories I need, I want that WC!

On another note, it looks like I got gipped on the HoM stuff. I never received the stone to get there but I looked up how you can get another and go there and the guy won't give me anything. So I found a link to the website where you can link the accounts together (I must have done this during beta and not the full release because I know I already linked them before) but in any case, it says that my GW1 and GW2 accounts are linked. So I log out of the game and go back in and the guy still acts like my accounts aren't linked....Any suggestions? Open a ticket with ANet?
http://mos.millenium.org/matchups#NA
Scroll to the bottom for upcoming matchups

If you're planning to do WvW, there's a nice Bleed/Support build for warriors that adapts instantly to strong dungeon/PVE functionality. Here's the link.

I've modified it a bit for my own use; dropping the warhorn as soon as I stacked Soldier Runes (condition removal via shouts), going with +Precision / Vit / Healing Power armor, changing a few of the traits for better damage / support (Gain adrenaline on hit instead of the increased toughness, 10% crit when using a sword instead of piercing rifle shots/shorter CDs, etc.)

My build, but I don't WvW on it much. Still, you can quickly change things up to go back to the build I linked. Warhorn is more useful in WvW, I prefer the off-hand axe just for the extra fury and spin attack, but I tend to do dungeons.

So that's the infamous Yojack build... it's actually not similar to my build at all. We both invest in the Arms and Tactics lines, but that's it.

Oh great, Aspenwood gets swapped out for the server that had the third highest total over all this week....Ugh, better run and cap what I need like hell. Please start us in the section I need, Anet! Can't wait to find out the starting zones. If only we had greater numbers...we have quality, just not quantity and since everything is pretty much zerg based, numbers are more important than skill, typically.

Oh sweet irony, the server I moved from absolutely dominated (Sorrows Furnace) so I likely would have been able to finish WC....curses! haha Oh well, that server sucked for PVE so still the right decision.

Katoki

Thieves stealth around all damage

I must be doing it wrong. Anytime I go into stealth, people throw AoE attacks everywhere. Anytime enemies go into stealth, I throw cluster bombs out while anyone around me (I tend to roam solo) knows already to do anything they can that will hit without targeting.

I can however say to everyone else that we are really slippery damn good at running away as thieves though. The only times I do not escape from a losing fight is when I drop to about 20fps from a zerg loading in and already am unintentionally in too deep or if I'm not paying attention to the guy NOT chasing me and shadow step back to him when I should have just continued to run instead.

Arcteryx

all this talk about classes reminded me that 5 class slots are not enough at all haha. Gotta get some more soon.

No kidding. I just finished 80ing my ele...and now all my slots are full. Dunno if I really want another class or not though(I hardly ever touch Necro/Warrior as it is).

Tendo

So I'm kind of dual leveling a mesmer and an ele. I'm probably going to stick with my ele though as I feel kind of weak on mesmer although both are fun classes. I have no idea why I stopped playing this after launch. I'm a crazy person. This game is great. I love how everyone calls out events now and everyone rushes them. Feels pretty awesome rolling in with 15-20 guys to take on a champion.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
(Temporary) Freeeeeedoooooom!!

Gonna get on and do my dailies and perhaps a dungeon or two.

edit: How sweet is it that you can buy character slots without spending any money? I know I obsess over that as a kind of minor thing but come on!

Proven

I must be doing it wrong. Anytime I go into stealth, people throw AoE attacks everywhere. Anytime enemies go into stealth, I throw cluster bombs out while anyone around me (I tend to roam solo) knows already to do anything they can that will hit without targeting.

I can however say to everyone else that we are really slippery damn good at running away as thieves though. The only times I do not escape from a losing fight is when I drop to about 20fps from a zerg loading in and already am unintentionally in too deep or if I'm not paying attention to the guy NOT chasing me and shadow step back to him when I should have just continued to run instead.

Your situation sounds most specifically about Shadow Refuge. In most cases the thieves that piss me off are the Cloak and Dagger ones. For Shadow Refuge, if I can't down them immediately while they're in it or there's no objective at stake, I just leave at that point. Give them a wound and move on as it's way too annoying otherwise.

If I had to give a nerf to stealth, I would make it that you got the revealed debuff whenever you left stealth, whether or not you left stealth due to attacking or to the stealth timer running out. As it is right now, stealth really just hard counters pressure builds if they don't have a spike damage component.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
jDHwcEj5hXQqn_e.jpg

jOSpKuk4qrR58_e.jpg

jQEJLZmmaZRLX_e.jpg

j374FgQDhHYs8_e.jpg

jXvKmMnk7wbCA_e.jpg

iRE7UtOEYeAGH.png

honestly, I hope they're getting enough sleep over there!

Anno

Yeah. So far they're living up to the whole "best supported MMO ever" pledge.

Is NCSoft a public company? I'm really curious to see how well the whole gem side of things is working out for the game, but I suspect we never will unless it's in normal business releases.

Retro

honestly, I hope they're getting enough sleep over there!

Flame and Frost runs until April. Then they have a few months during the summer, then the holiday season ramps up. And oh yeah, and maybe an expansion too.

Personally, I'd like to see them take a month in the summer and have a 'goof off' event, after all the seriousness of killing an Elder dragon, battling giant crabs and saving refugees. Something light-hearted with a more relaxed pace and humorous tone. The Consortium had plans for a tropical resort in Southsun, so it would be a great opportunity to revamp that zone (or part of it) and establish a sort of beach retreat with swimming pools, umbrella drinks, Golem bartenders and a bunch of mini-games.

Yeah. So far they're living up to the whole "best supported MMO ever" pledge.

Is NCSoft a public company? I'm really curious to see how well the whole gem side of things is working out for the game, but I suspect we never will unless it's in normal business releases.

I think NCsoft knows that they need to back off and let those westerners do their thing. With how Anet employees sometimes have shifted over to titles like Tera, I imagine that their relationship is good.

Not like Blizzard people who felt Vivendi screwed them over. (Bill Roper & Friend, 03)

Retro

Not like Blizzard people who felt Vivendi screwed them over. (Bill Roper & Friend, 03)

A lot of them went on to found Carbine, which is actually working on an MMO called Wildstar, which NCSoft is publishing.

We were just talking about this last night, WoW has lost a LOT of ground lately and Blizzard has a less polished public face after the Diablo III Fiasco. They aren't the company they once were.

Retro

i want umbrella drinks

I really feel like an Asura beach resort would be a really cool little idea. Add a monorail over the Karka-infested areas, floating swimming pools, fancy gardens... lots of beach-themed mini-games and loot. Events would be just silly, relaxing stuff or defending the resort from Karka. It'd be a fun little diversion before we go back to saving the world.

Concept17

A lot of them went on to found Carbine, which is actually working on an MMO called Wildstar, which NCSoft is publishing.

We were just talking about this last night, WoW has lost a LOT of ground lately and Blizzard has a less polished public face after the Diablo III Fiasco. They aren't the company they once were.

Don't they still have 9.6m subscribers?

So I've been playing on an EU server (im in US) since I started thanks to a good friend of mine who lives over there. It sucks. At night the server seems dead and everyone in the guild is usually offline. I want to come join everyone here, but I'm not sure I can get my friend to transfer. (he was playing before me, with some friends of his)

Sad days. :(

Also - is there a certain level that its good to start doing more WvW? At lower levels it seems a little... pointless?

WoW's subscription numbers aren't dependable because in the Asian markets they don't use a subscription but a timecard model. So they can can't a lot of accounts as subscribers that don't really fit the mold. Not to mention WoW probably has more bots/rmt accounts than any other game due to it's popularity. Those accounts are all technically subscribers.

Anno

For what it's worth, they said that nearly all of their sub losses were from the Chinese market. Traditional subscribers are apparently holding rather steady. Either way, it's still an extraordinary number. I'd be curious what GW2s daily unique logins look like. Probably pretty good.

Won

WoW's subscription numbers aren't dependable because in the Asian markets they don't use a subscription but a timecard model. So they can can't a lot of accounts as subscribers that don't really fit the mold. Not to mention WoW probably has more bots/rmt accounts than any other game due to it's popularity. Those accounts are all technically subscribers.

In the end they are still the most "dependable" numbers out there, because they actual report something on a regular basis that is actual defined, even if they don't tell you the West/Asia split.

I'm not saying they're not wildly popular. Just that they're inflated. WoW without a doubt still has millions more than any other mmo out there.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
They're barely even at risk of losing the number one spot within the next 5 years. WoW has more accounts sold than any other online RPG and GW2 is on track to replace GW1 for the #2 slot (unless you count each individual WoW expansion's sales individually, some of them outsold GW1 alone).

Retro

I think you guys misunderstand me. I didn't say WoW's subscribers were down, I said that they lost a lot of ground; whereas the MMO market used to be pretty much just WoW, there's a lot more out there showing that you don't need to mimic the champion to be a contender.

I have no doubt GW2's numbers aren't near WoW's, but the point is that they don't have to be for GW2 to be a success. That's what I was getting at; the market isn't ruled by one MMO anymore.

nataku

Flame and Frost runs until April. Then they have a few months during the summer, then the holiday season ramps up. And oh yeah, and maybe an expansion too.

Speaking of expansions.

I was browsing the GW2 forum dev posts and came across a Cantha topic an ANet dev posted in, so I went to look at the OP and it started out as a typical conspiracy theory, someone just pulling something out of their ass. I wasn't really sure what to make of it, since it sounded a bit out there, but Josh Foreman posted a couple times in there that more or less confirmed the situation.

If want you want to read the full OP and the repliles of Josh Foreman it's right here, but the important bit, the actual explanation of it, is in this interview with Josh in December that someone else in the topic posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xWo8G0OJ0FM#t=6226s

Basically, a cultural conflict caused them to nuke the Cantha district in DR. The Chinese and Koreans didn't like having their style of architecture mixed together, so they had to collapse the entire thing due to time issues.

Hopefully they can figure something out that satisfies both of them, because I'd hate to see them just not do Cantha anytime soon.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Speaking of expansions.

I was browsing the GW2 forum dev posts and came across a Cantha topic an ANet dev posted in, so I went to look at the OP and it started out as a typical conspiracy theory, someone just pulling something out of their ass. I wasn't really sure what to make of it, since it sounded a bit out there, but Josh Foreman posted a couple times in there that more or less confirmed the situation.

If want you want to read the full OP and the repliles of Josh Foreman it's right here, but the important bit, the actual explanation of it, is in this interview with Josh in December that someone else in the topic posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xWo8G0OJ0FM#t=6226s

Basically, a cultural conflict caused them to nuke the Cantha district in DR. The Chinese and Koreans didn't like having their style of architecture mixed together, so they had to collapse the entire thing due to time issues.

Hopefully they can figure something out that satisfies both of them, because I'd hate to see them just not do Cantha anytime soon.

"The Great Collapse." Huh.

They're very arrogant to their players, stingy with content and are happy to continue along with very mild levels of innovation. The game skates along with the massive amount of social inertia it has. But when it starts to break it'll come crashing down quick.

I really don't know if I'll ever want to go back. Don't get me wrong the pull is almost too much to bear. All of my friends are still there. I just can't face logging in to that heap of shit and going through the motions. It's just not fun and I can't stand it anymore.

Retro

you should also save your keys for when the chests give out good loot.

I think the response to that was so overwhelmingly negative that they will never try that again. The past three events (Halloween, Karka, Christmas) each had completely different ways to getting the various items. Halloween used Black Lion Chests, Karka had special SouthSun chests, Wintersday had event and straight purchases.

Like they're testing different things to see which works.

So I haven't touched this game in a loooooooooong while. Have any big changes been made in the past couple of months?

Also if I got kicked from the guild due to inactivity will it be easy to rejoin?

Complistic

I think the response to that was so overwhelmingly negative that they will never try that again. The past three events (Halloween, Karka, Christmas) each had completely different ways to getting the various items. Halloween used Black Lion Chests, Karka had special SouthSun chests, Wintersday had event and straight purchases.

Like they're testing different things to see which works.

That's a good point. Still I've got a few saved up that I think I'll keep just in case.

I'm disappointed how slow the "Flame and Frost" thing is turning out to be.

I thought it would evolve faster, but it seems it'll only change with every big end of the month patch. Hopefully we get something this week.

Retro

So I haven't touched this game in a loooooooooong while. Have any big changes been made in the past couple of months?

Also if I got kicked from the guild due to inactivity will it be easy to rejoin?

1. A slew of class changes, improvements to WvW (mostly culling, but also some extra things to do and free server transfers are over so populations are stable), lots of fixed DEs and changes to Orr... it's hard to remember because they fix things pretty regularly and quickly. They added a new zone, but there's nothing really there yet and it felt like a misstep. They tweaked dungeons to be easier, but removed the ability to respawn when anyone is in combat (so no more res-rushing bosses down). It's not as big a change as some people would have you believe, it just means you have to stay alive and rez smarter.

2. Yes, just send an in-game mail to Professor Retro and I will get you an invite as soon as I see it.

That's a good point. Still I've got a few saved up that I think I'll keep just in case.

Same here, actually. I'll wait a bit longer and see if they try something related to black lion chests again. Maybe they'll add some new stuff to it and it'll be worth taking the chance again.

More like $10 or so. Don't forget that you always get a couple other things aside from the key.

Well, yeah, you get other stuff too, but what I was getting at is that you are basically winning another chance to play.

I still haven't done any dungeons in this game! lol

If you're in GAFGuild, we tend to run stuff in the evenings. We also try to do weekly events where we run a specific dungeon (or do the story mode versions for people who don't always get the chance). Hawkian usually does them, but he's had some houseguests keeping him from playing. Should be soon.

I'll keep an eye open for ya, if we need somebody for a run I'll pull ya in.

I'm disappointed how slow the "Flame and Frost" thing is turning out to be.

I thought it would evolve faster, but it seems it'll only change with every big end of the month patch. Hopefully we get something this week.

Yeah, I've been worried maybe I've been missing something, but it just seems like they're taking it slow. I'm wondering if they're doing it like this because so many people bitched that the Karka event was over too quickly. If that's the case... TOO SLOW, ANET, TOO SLOW!

It should pick up soon, and if not soon, the next chapter starts on the 26th. Whereas this patch has been the "Prelude", the next update is "The Gathering Storm" which sounds a bit more exciting. The whole event runs until April (at which point the April Fools stuff should pick up), hopefully things pick up here soon.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
For all the downsides of the exodus of big WvW guilds from SBI, it looks like we'll be able to count on a relatively "queueless" normal. With this in mind, I'd like us to try and start holding more frequent organized guild events in WvW. A small group of us can dramatically change the maps even without hooking up with a zerg.

I know Tilton Wiggin just got his commander tag, which is awesome. Hopefully I'll be able to get him involved. Ferny also mentioned to me that he was interested in this. I'd also like to commit to running them myself, and am happy to do so, but as Retro mentioned I am entertaining some houseguests and only able to get on erratically fore the next week and a half of so. Please let me know if there are any others out there would be interested in hosting/leading such groups.

Otherwise, to anyone interested in attending a trial balloon for a WvW event, would you be around Wednesday night, around 8PM EST?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I'm pretty sure I'm a Norn-whore.

Leveled a human Warrior to 80 these past two weeks. Woke up this morning and decided to reroll him as a Norn. OCD and MMOs just don't mix well. I think I'm just gonna throw some gold and try to level him from 1 to 80 when I play tonight.

Should be ready just in time for WvW Wednesday!

For all the downsides of the exodus of big WvW guilds from SBI, it looks like we'll be able to count on a relatively "queueless" normal. With this in mind, I'd like us to try and start holding more frequent organized guild events in WvW. A small group of us can dramatically change the maps even without hooking up with a zerg.

I know Tilton Wiggin just got his commander tag, which is awesome. Hopefully I'll be able to get him involved. Ferny also mentioned to me that he was interested in this. I'd also like to commit to running them myself, and am happy to do so, but as Retro mentioned I am entertaining some houseguests and only able to get on erratically fore the next week and a half of so. Please let me know if there are any others out there would be interested in hosting/leading such groups.

Otherwise, to anyone interested in attending a trial balloon for a WvW event, would you be around Wednesday night, around 8PM EST?

Me, Turore (laroo on GAF), my brother (Kvothe, not on GAF, he is too cool for GAF), and Firetross have been doing quite a lot of WvW, so add us to your friends list so you can quickly hit "Y" and see if we are already in there so you can join up.

The most fun I've had recently is running around with a small group of GAF, taking camps, and towers. Running with zerg is fun aswell and for that I highly recomened getting TeamSpeak and visiting stormbluffisle.com to get the teamspeak login info.

Vossler

So I've finally decided to go all in on getting Foefire's essence. Don't really need anything else, and I don't have the time to get a legendary. Currently at 15 lodestones and counting!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom