• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Had a great time squeezing in my dailies this morning. Died to Horace in Barradin's Vault in Ashford (I keep trying to solo him), called for help on /map, six people came, still took actual teamwork to get him down. We partied up and I added a couple to my friends. Went south and one of them pulled me into his personal story and it was a Charr quest I hadn't done yet. Immediately on popping out Secunda the Watcher runs up and he's all like "yo big-ass dread skale over there." Killed it, then did the first couple steps of the skale chain the follows (one of my favorites) and suddenly found all I had left was the Laurel Merchant. Sometimes everything really just clicks out in the world in this game and you can see exactly what they were going for.

They just updated their events page, we won't get a list or anything until right before the patch, most likely.

Man between this and Halo 4's map pack, I want news right meow.

So after making sure I hit up lots of low lvl ore nodes while finishing PVE map completion, I finally started Jeweler. I chose WISELY in waiting because I spent a whopping 50 silver to get to the final tier lol I have more Mithril than anything and plenty of crystals so I won't have to spent a cent here either :D I just hate having to use karma for that recipe for the last 25 levels and I really hate having to waste globs of ectoplasm to get to 400! I'm struggling to gather those up for my armor as is! The karma is honestly a insignificant amount, less than you get for completing the dailies for one day, I believe. What I've consoled myself with concerning using up globs is that Jeweler is easily the most profitable profession and once I hit 400, I can just crank out high lvl accessories and sell them for mad monies which I can then use to buy all the ectoplasm I need. Plan on getting Jeweler to 400 tonight :D The other awesome thing is that the one area of the monthly challenge that's a pain for me is salvaging and going from 0-400 in a profession has allowed me to salvage the bejesus out of all my results and really helped! I've just been salvaging everything instead of selling stuff in general so I'll get there but I prefer selling stuff to stack that money. Outside of salvaging, the rest of the monthly is a cakewalk and is already done or can be within an hour or two at most if I focus on it. Excited to complete my first monthly challenge.

Cels

Is the Iron Marches heart where specters/wraiths kill loggers still bugged and impossible to complete? I passed through there on my R who is now 73, really want to go back and do it.

A lot of the spirits were in the trees so you couldn't talk to them. Normally, you talk to them, they lead you to their body, you fight a couple spirits, and you revive them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is there a comprehensive list for the features coming in the patch? Or did they just make a few comments about the Guild quest thing?
There's this, but I wouldn't take it as "comprehensive" in any sense: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/february-2013

Very few details all around, especially the manner in which the Flame and Frost arc is expanding. But that part makes me happy :D
Sooo...how about a Guild Event this Saturday that somehow involves the very unpopular SE?!
Well, that sounds good. You'll be pleased to know that it's not going to be unpopular for long. We've already done an SE race, but everything's different now, so...

For those who don't know, SE path 1 is now one of the true easiest paths in the game. It is no exaggeration to say that it's on the level of COF1, and at the very least taking less time than an average GE run.

It could be fun for everyone to try it to get accustomed to the run, because it's a good one to work into your dungeon rotation (easy gold, tokens, karma, etc). It would also be more like a true speedrun challenge than the usual dungeon races since everyone would be doing the same path (would be the same if we ever did a CoF race).

Sounds like fun, and it'd be a quick event.

However, I can't guarantee that I can be there to host it :'( Most of this month just sucks for me in terms of free hours.

If somebody (it could be any member- remember that guild members can host events too, not just officers :D) wants to volunteer, I'd be happy to help coordinate, and of course try to show up myself and run one of the teams. I just can't commit like usual.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
can someone invite me to eurogaf (if there still is one) just in case i'm in the mood to actually play? I should be bufko.2497 and my ex guild is pretty much dead at this point, but I kinda want to check out the new guild content in february :/

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Actually thinking about that, there's just like 1 or 2 friends left back on my server. Hrm.

Trey

Is the Iron Marches heart where specters/wraiths kill loggers still bugged and impossible to complete? I passed through there on my R who is now 73, really want to go back and do it.

A lot of the spirits were in the trees so you couldn't talk to them. Normally, you talk to them, they lead you to their body, you fight a couple spirits, and you revive them.

I ran into that heart recently. I remember doing it back near launch when it was, as you said, nearly impossible. It was a damn hassle at that time to complete.

My recent run in with the heart went much much faster - although one caveat being that I happened across the heart as a nearby event was occurring, which augmented my progress. But when I went to finish the heart off, the requisite spirits spawned more plentifully than the first time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I could be wrong but I vaaaguely recall an event seemingly matching that description being mentioned in some patch or another.

LkPr

Looking forward to getting back into GW2 this weekend!!! New pc build should be finished tomorrow night and I'm excited to try out some new changes in the game (never tried the fractals yet) lol ... however a bunch of my friends have quit the game so I'll be trying to take part in more guild events and be more active in the guild :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Looking forward to getting back into GW2 this weekend!!! New pc build should be finished tomorrow night and I'm excited to try out some new changes in the game (never tried the fractals yet) lol ... however a bunch of my friends have quit the game so I'll be trying to take part in more guild events and be more active in the guild :)
I hope I get to be around, it'd be awesome to try a fractal run with you!

nataku

ANet decided against a WvW rating reset.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Update-No-WvW-Rating-Reset/first#post1313585

Update 2/7/2013:
We’ve been keeping a very close watch on this week’s matchups and, despite our concerns regarding the recent population shifts, it seems that many of the games are quite competitive. At the same time we’ve been evaluating some possible changes to the math we use to calculate ratings. After examining a number of new methodologies for weighting the outcomes of matches we have found that our existing formulas already do pretty much what we want them to do. Certainly none of the candidates that we tried yielded better results.

In light of the strong community response to the idea of a WvW ratings reset, the results of our ratings formula investigations, and our data on the current matchups we have decided not to reset the WvW ratings at this time. All existing WvW ratings will be preserved and the rating calculation methodology will remain unchanged. Any existing mismatches should be corrected by the system in relatively short order. Now that there is less volatility in the player base for each world we expect the quality of matches to improve more quickly. This is both because the rating system is operating in a less unpredictable environment and because more stable teams tend to produce better results.

Thank you all for your feedback on this matter, and for your patience while we explored the various options. The community response was a key element in our decision making process.

etiolate

Banned
I'm indifferent about the resets not happening. What they should be worried about is everyone getting stuck int he same matchup for weeks and the tiers becoming rigid. It's a sure way to increase burnout.

Thanks for the link, Hawkian. Glad to see the next phase of the living quest rolling in and sounds a lot more interesting than the first part as expected. Guild events sounds interesting, look forward to learning more about that and while dailies are really easy, who doesn't like the idea of choosing your own? Awesome sauce. I would probably be inclined to set them to match up with what the monthly asks for so I can knock two birds out with one stone. Nice that dailies always having events thus far has got me going out of my way to find many which has allowed me to quickly knock out the monthly requirement for it. I want some more of that common spread :D

As for WvW, I just can't wait until we swap places again with the hope that we will start in a region where I need poi's! I want that last two stinkin percent of World Completion! TC turns out to be pretty good, we tend to dominate every time there's even numbers....the problem is we are outnumbered ninety something percent of the time, it seems like. Maybe I just get on at a different time than the rest of the server (I play nights). We can hold down a fort with inferior numbers but it's awfully difficult to take them over. We just get out-zerged :| Still, proud of the guys for holding our stuff down pretty well, feels like we are Spartans in 300.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Interesting. I'm glad to an extent, and our matchup (while we are getting beaten) isn't insurmountably one-sided if we hold to it next week. I'm surprised that they weren't able to improve the formula for calculating it but I guess that's a good sign that it's resilient.

Really though this just makes me more disappointed that the changes to WvW won't be in this month's patch. I really thought the predicted volatility in the tiers was one reason they decided to do some extra testing first. Oh well- Guild Events weren't expected, and could be a really cool addition to build on.

Link0080

Started playing again a few days ago, I was 28 when I stopped and now 48, and it's been good fun.

So I've been wondering how the hell do I find groups for dungeons? I've gone to the dungeons areas themselves and looked in LA but I can't find anyone. Is this server low populated?

Retro

Started playing again a few days ago, I was 28 when I stopped and now 48, and it's been good fun.

So I've been wondering how the hell do I find groups for dungeons? I've gone to the dungeons areas themselves and looked in LA but I can't find anyone. Is this server low populated?

Ask in guild chat. GAFers will generally run anything, and even if you can't fill a group this way, you can at least get off to a good start.

After that, http://www.gw2lfg.com. PUG at your own risk; I'd personally rather not run a dungeon than run a dungeon with a bunch of unknowns.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

What server are you on?

Joooooooooin ussssss

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Ugh, my server is going to be stuck with anvil rock for yet another week. Getting so sick of them.

Link0080

I'm on Stormbluff Isle, I'll ask someone for an invite soon.

I don't need to do a dungeon right now but I was wondering why I couldn't find anyone. Someone did tell me that the devs are working on a dungeon finder system, hopefully that's true.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
www.gw2lfg.com, as Retro mentioned earlier is just fine if you can't get the group you need. Dungeons work cross-server even without guesting, so it's quite useful. The people using that site tend to be a cut above the others you'd be able to find in terms of skill, anyway.

But still, guildies better.

Proven

Oh, this one. I was in there last month while I was still leveling my Guardian. The heart is working properly, as far as I could tell. Didn't need an event on the side to complete it in a timely manner.

It's really creepy/spooky there too.

Ryan_

Anyone has any idea how much it would cost for leveling a char to 60 or 80 whith nothing but crafting?
Let's say for the sake of being thorough that I don't have any crafting materials yet purchased.

I saw it was around 30 gold but that doesn't seem right or at any rate, outdated probably.

Divvy

Anyone has any idea how much it would cost for leveling a char to 60 or 80 whith nothing but crafting?
Let's say for the sake of being thorough that I don't have any crafting materials yet purchased.

I saw it was around 30 gold but that doesn't seem right or at any rate, outdated probably.

Prob 12 gold?

Complistic

i always found level 60 up leveling to go a whole lot faster than most levels before it. Don't know why. Maybe because there's a lot more enemies and a lot of classes really start to shine.

So the territories in WvW reset and shift today, right? Even if we keep the same opponents? God I hope it shifts our side to the territories I need, I want that WC!

On another note, it looks like I got gipped on the HoM stuff. I never received the stone to get there but I looked up how you can get another and go there and the guy won't give me anything. So I found a link to the website where you can link the accounts together (I must have done this during beta and not the full release because I know I already linked them before) but in any case, it says that my GW1 and GW2 accounts are linked. So I log out of the game and go back in and the guy still acts like my accounts aren't linked....Any suggestions? Open a ticket with ANet?

Complistic

So the territories in WvW reset and shift today, right? Even if we keep the same opponents? God I hope it shifts our side to the territories I need, I want that WC!

On another note, it looks like I got gipped on the HoM stuff. I never received the stone to get there but I looked up how you can get another and go there and the guy won't give me anything. So I found a link to the website where you can link the accounts together (I must have done this during beta and not the full release because I know I already linked them before) but in any case, it says that my GW1 and GW2 accounts are linked. So I log out of the game and go back in and the guy still acts like my accounts aren't linked....Any suggestions? Open a ticket with ANet?

Yeah, you're gonna have to ask them about it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Definitely less than that, but the professions don't all cost the same, so you'll want to go with the cheapest ones (not sure which that is, myself). Probably 10-20g?

edit: Huh if you definitely have the HoM points to qualify for something, it says your acounts are linked and the NPC in LA won't give you a stone, you'll have to open a ticket. Sorry man, that's very weird. I have like a dozen stones floating around now :p

Retro

Just a heads up, the GAFGuild site has been experiencing some technical difficulties this morning, if it says "This account has been suspended", try refreshing or giving it a few minutes. We're not sure what's going on, but it definitely does work.

Please post here if you get that message.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

Depends on the craft.

20 levels from Cooking + Artificing = about 5 gold.

The karma vendor in LA did give me a stone, I meant that I hadn't initially been provided one as I should have which was no biggie. When I went to HoM, the NPC in there acts as if I haven't done anything or linked my accounts. I verified on the site that my accounts are linked and did the beta tester for what I would unlock again just to make sure I still had credit for GW1 and it worked fine (though I could have sworn I earned more HoM points!, ha) I then tried logging out of the game and back in just in case I linked the accounts when I went to verify but still, the NPC gives me no special attention. I went ahead and opened a trouble ticket with Anet so hopefully they can get to the bottom of it.

Trey

Level cooking and artificer. Costs at most 5g after you sell back what you make.

edit: how did I miss Kanik's post?

I'm impressed with how quickly they got back to me but I can't try their solution until I get home. They recommend talking to the HoM guy in GW1 and then talking to him again in GW2 and feel the issue could be due to me not playing GW1 right before 2 came out. Pretty lame and this would really be a pain if I didn't have GW1 anymore but luckily I never got around to uninstalling it so it will actually be quick and simple I suppose. Going to be weird going back to old Tyria for a few minutes haha Wonder how many people are still playing it.

I mastered Jeweler last night woooo. What time does the WvW stuff swap today?

Trey

I'm impressed with how quickly they got back to me but I can't try their solution until I get home. They recommend talking to the HoM guy in GW1 and then talking to him again in GW2 and feel the issue could be due to me not playing GW1 right before 2 came out. Pretty lame and this would really be a pain if I didn't have GW1 anymore but luckily I never got around to uninstalling it so it will actually be quick and simple I suppose. Going to be weird going back to old Tyria for a few minutes haha Wonder how many people are still playing it.

I mastered Jeweler last night woooo. What time does the WvW stuff swap today?

7edt

Oh, not until evenings, eh? Thanks

So as I'm close to WC with this character, I find myself thinking about what I want to roll next. I am now back to the same problem I had before the game came out, I'm so indecisive! I was planning on a tank W because it's the antithesis to my glass cannon Ele and I'm REALLY sick and tired of being so squishy haha I think what tipped me over the edge was WvW. I feel very useful during the primary zerg battles but there are times when a W rolls up with some spin sword move and I pretty much get one shotted. It's very annoying. So being able to take damage would be pretty refreshing after a glass character.
On the other hand, Mesmer was the other class I was thinking about before the game came out and they just seem really bad ass. Portals and those energy lines they lay for aoe speed boost are so useful with teammates and it always just looks really cool when they throw out multiple clones and blast an opponent from all angles or troll people with them like holograms in Halo 4. They can even generate clones across a chasm they can't get to themselves. I partied with one guy that had pretty darn high HP so I don't think they are nearly as squishy as an Ele despite being light armor and caster. I'll have to look into it more.
Then all the sudden Thieves are making tons of noise in WvW. Invis is crazy useful and then I start reading how overpowered they are and about the perma-invis build and it makes me want to see what a Thief is all about.

Ugh all these good problems to have! Have you guys been happy with your first choice? Did you end up swapping to a different class and are the happier for it? If so, what classes did you roll?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Mesmers are infinitely more survivable than Eles. They have higher base HP, but their entire modus operandi makes for more protection and less risk than what an Ele does. They'll never come close in terms of raw damage output of course, but them's the breaks.

I know nothing about warriors

Divvy

Mesmers are infinitely more survivable than Eles. They have higher base HP, but their entire modus operandi makes for more protection and less risk than what an Ele does. They'll never come close in terms of raw damage output of course, but them's the breaks.

No way.

D/D eles are the most survivable class in WvW right now. If you know how to get away, then they are practically unkillable. Mesmers are great don't get me wrong, but they have very poor get away ability due to the lack of escape and swiftness skills.

Warriors are about average. They're great in zergs, but as a roaming class, they're only average as they tend to get destroyed when alone against mesmers and thieves. Then again, most classes do.

Trey

Only way D/D eles dies is if they make a mistake. They'll be nerfed, probably.

Squall, did you do the Orr areas yet? I still have to finish ML and CS for my world completion.

Retro

Oh, not until evenings, eh? Thanks

So as I'm close to WC with this character, I find myself thinking about what I want to roll next. I am now back to the same problem I had before the game came out, I'm so indecisive! I was planning on a tank W because it's the antithesis to my glass cannon Ele and I'm REALLY sick and tired of being so squishy haha I think what tipped me over the edge was WvW. I feel very useful during the primary zerg battles but there are times when a W rolls up with some spin sword move and I pretty much get one shotted. It's very annoying. So being able to take damage would be pretty refreshing after a glass character.

If you're planning to do WvW, there's a nice Bleed/Support build for warriors that adapts instantly to strong dungeon/PVE functionality. Here's the link.

I've modified it a bit for my own use; dropping the warhorn as soon as I stacked Soldier Runes (condition removal via shouts), going with +Precision / Vit / Healing Power armor, changing a few of the traits for better damage / support (Gain adrenaline on hit instead of the increased toughness, 10% crit when using a sword instead of piercing rifle shots/shorter CDs, etc.)

My build, but I don't WvW on it much. Still, you can quickly change things up to go back to the build I linked. Warhorn is more useful in WvW, I prefer the off-hand axe just for the extra fury and spin attack, but I tend to do dungeons.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I grant you all of the above regarding D/D Bunker Eles in WvW. I was just comparing the classes overall taking whatever weapons, builds, situations into account.

Ugh all these good problems to have! Have you guys been happy with your first choice? Did you end up swapping to a different class and are the happier for it? If so, what classes did you roll?

You should run engineer haha. That's the first one I rolled and I like it (hit 80), and if I haven't said this enough perma swiftness is by far the best trait i've seen. Right now I'm trying other classes like mesmer/guard/ranger (all around level 25).

Engineers are awesome b/c of their versatility with insta switch kits (but I think that is their bane (the versatility part)). They're really a middle ground class imo. They have great utility which I do like. I still haven't decked her out with the gear I want so I still got time to play around with what attributes set I want.

I'm not sure about guardian even though I do like support classes, I just don't like how slow maces and greathammers are. Staff seems stupid since the might ability is 4 second channel, and the I have no idea how to make the heal orb not just straight up travel into the ground if I'm only trying to heal someone. Plus their down #1 skill is terrible. Can't believe they made a trait to give that skill more damage lol.

Mesmer is alright for me, but since I haven't hit 40, I haven't seen their true potential. From what I've played of ranger, I really like them a lot.

Rangers I like because of the ability to go from ranged to melee easily, and I do like their weapon skills.

Thankfully no one in the guild that does dungeons/fractals that i've been on have been anal about classes so that's good for the build my engineer uses.

edit: The other thing is that since I've been doing a fair amt of WvW since my engi hit 80, is that they stink in large zerg (unless you go with the nade build), but are nice in smaller engagements if that's what you like.

Yeah I wouldn't expect Mes to touch Ele in power, they are about deceiving and overwhelming an opponents senses with numbers and confusion.
No way.

D/D eles are the most survivable class in WvW right now. If you know how to get away, then they are practically unkillable. Mesmers are great don't get me wrong, but they have very poor get away ability due to the lack of escape and swiftness skills.

Warriors are about average. They're great in zergs, but as a roaming class, they're only average as they tend to get destroyed when alone against mesmers and thieves. Then again, most classes do.
Yeah I don't know what took me so long to look at what build some others are using but apparently D/D bunker is massively OP. That said, ANet already stated they are going to nerf it so it's not viable going forward.
Only way D/D eles dies is if they make a mistake. They'll be nerfed, probably.

Squall, did you do the Orr areas yet? I still have to finish ML and CS for my world completion.
Yes, I actually cleared all of PVE and just need less than 2 percent that's in WvW. That said, I'd be happy to play with you guys whenever. My username is Squalls Wrath
If you're planning to do WvW, there's a nice Bleed/Support build for warriors that adapts instantly to strong dungeon/PVE functionality. Here's the link.

I've modified it a bit for my own use; dropping the warhorn as soon as I stacked Soldier Runes (condition removal via shouts), going with +Precision / Vit / Healing Power armor, changing a few of the traits for better damage / support (Gain adrenaline on hit instead of the increased toughness, 10% crit when using a sword instead of piercing rifle shots/shorter CDs, etc.)

My build, but I don't WvW on it much. Still, you can quickly change things up to go back to the build I linked. Warhorn is more useful in WvW, I prefer the off-hand axe just for the extra fury and spin attack, but I tend to do dungeons.
Nice, I was thinking ultimate tank build but hadn't put in the work to see what the best setup would be. I was planning on armor with Toughness, Power, and Vitality so that I would still have some attack power with the high hp an defense. Being able to quickly accumulate adrenaline sounds like a smart way to go, I still have more research to do as I've only experienced an Ele which obviously doesn't deal with adrenaline. I like that your build has versatility. I care about PVE the most and in fact, it was the only thing I planned on playing but I have dabbled in WvW for world completion and have found it fun. Would be way more fun playing with friends I expect as opposed to randoms. Dungeons are the toughest challenge for PVE, obviously so something that worked well there would be grand. One of my co-workers has a tank W that just soaks damage up like a sponge and I'm jelly. I should inquire as to what his build is too.

I'm just conflicted because Mes and Thief sound like a blast to play but W would be as different an experience as I could get coming from a Ele. Why is it so hard to choose, why did you make them all so appealing, Anet?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You should run engineer haha. That's the first one I rolled and I like it (hit 80), and if I haven't said this enough perma swiftness is by far the best trait i've seen. Right now I'm trying other classes like mesmer/guard/ranger (all around level 25).

Engineers are awesome b/c of their versatility with insta switch kits (but I think that is their bane (the versatility part)). They're really a middle ground class imo. They have great utility which I do like. I still haven't decked her out with the gear I want so I still got time to play around with what attributes set I want.
Engineer's the only class I want that I don't have. I made Hawkian of the Forg (was supposed to be Forge and ran out of characters :'() in the first BWE and had a blast in WvW. One one one day...
Mesmer is alright for me, but since I haven't hit 40, I haven't seen their true potential.
The range you're in is definitely where they start to come alive. The initial game especially 15-25 is mad steep for Mesmers. So many kills from downed state...
Thankfully no one in the guild that does dungeons/fractals that i've been on have been anal about classes so that's good for the build my engineer uses.
No kidding, if you eeever see anyone trying to be "classist" about who can come on a dungeon run, or anything else, really- tell them that doesn't align with what our guild is about.

One of my absolute favorite things about the developmental goals of this game is the fact that anyone can play with anyone to do anything. "LF [X class]" is not something I ever want to be a part of again, and it's sort of a pity because I know future games I'd otherwise be interested are still going to require healers and tanks to form a successful group.

Levyne

Banned
The only run I've ever done where it seems like classism is necessary is that Arah 4 Dwayna boss, no idea how you'd do that without Time Warp and 2 dps warriors. And I'm sure as the path gets more familiar you'll see the "requirement" for certain classes decrease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom