• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding this February update, you guys think there will be more changes to the dungeons that Rober Horuda mentioned awhile ago?

I can't wait to see what else happens with the Flame and Frost story. I wish more things happen, week to week and that it doesn't seem like a secret (ie the refugees not telling you much (for weeks)).

Levyne

Banned
I am at the very starting stages of working on Kuzdu. I've gotten 77 clovers and another bloodstone shard and 250 obby and my 2nd exploration item. Still very poor because I had to buy that t3 armor!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Regarding this February update, you guys think there will be more changes to the dungeons that Rober Horuda mentioned awhile ago?
I expect some more changes almost definitely, though maybe not the full phase 2 rollout.

I can't wait to see what else happens with the Flame and Frost story. I wish more things happen, week to week and that it doesn't seem like a secret (ie the refugees not telling you much (for weeks)).
Same. I am not bothered by the pace at all personally... I only have 25 refugees helped or so, and Diessa and Wayfarer are both great places to level an alt.

I will never get a legendary weapon because of RNG, worst aspect of Guild Wars 2, I have ran so many dungeons and I can count how many Exotics i have gotten on one hand, 4, some people get lucky while others have to grind away, I ain't grinding, fuck that...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Did you guys know level ups do damage and knockback? :p
H7UdY3e.jpg

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Did you guys know level ups do damage and knockback? :p
H7UdY3e.jpg

One time I was in wvw and got downed by some invaders. I managed to kill a nearby jaguar and levelled up knocking back all the invaders that were in the process of finishing me off. Was pretty great running away from that.

Retro

I'd like us to try and start holding more frequent organized guild events in WvW. A small group of us can dramatically change the maps even without hooking up with a zerg.

To add to this, every Thursday night at 8:30pm, the SBI Community has a "WvW Tutorial" night where they basically jump on teamspeak with a bunch of commanders and teach a class on how to play WvW. It's apparently pretty informative, so if you're new to the game or just haven't played WvW, it's a good opportunity to learn. More details here.

Leveled a human Warrior to 80 these past two weeks. Woke up this morning and decided to reroll him as a Norn. OCD and MMOs just don't mix well.

Heh, okay, you officially beat me for OCD; the highest character I've blown up is 66. But I went the other way; went from a Norn female Warrior to a human male.
some days I'm not sure I made the right choice either.

Running with zerg is fun aswell and for that I highly recomened getting TeamSpeak and visiting stormbluffisle.com to get the teamspeak login info.

Yeah, as much as I hate having to deal with multiple VoIP programs (and teamspeak is the absolute worst) it seems like all of SBI has rallied to it, so for WvW people might consider just using theirs.

And on that note, we've been discussing removing some of the chat rooms on our Mumble server so it's not quite as confusing or buried. We might just hang a WvW room entirely and just have people use the SBI one for a unified front. Not sure yet.

What's wrong with Teamspeak? I've used it with both GW games but haven't tried using others to compare it to.

Sitting at 99% WC and expect that I will have to wait until WvW resets again to get the final few things. Good news is that all the stuff I need is on the server we and position in EB that we should be moving to as we've done the other two locations these past two weeks. Soon, very soon!

Has anyone done the Vexa's Lab jumping puzzle? That was a crazy ass boss battle for a jumping puzzle! Felt more like I was at the end of a dungeon. Very cool.

Fou-Lu

Finally broke down and bought GW2... after a friend sent me the money to buy it. Hope it lives up to all his hype. It's downloading at half my usual download speed.... Go faster!

Any good beginner guides out there?

Retro

Finally broke down and bought GW2... after a friend sent me the money to buy it. Hope it lives up to all his hype. It's downloading at half my usual download speed.... Go faster!

1. Roll the class you think looks interesting and fun, not which you think will be most useful. If one doesn't click with you, try another. Whatever choice you make, you won't be penalized further down the road (i.e. you can get into a group no matter what class you pick now). Every class can contribute, even breaking MMO-tropes; Guardians (the Paladin-like class) have a couple ranged attacks, Rangers are good in melee, etc.
- That said, most people say the Guardian, Warrior and Ranger are good classes to start with, while Mesmers, Elementalists and Engineers have a bit of a learning curve. Seriously though, try what sounds cool to you, as all of the professions are pretty approachable and you can always ask for help here or in-game.​
2. Race has no statistical advantage; it will only give you a few race-specific utility and elite skills (none of which stand out over the others). Otherwise it is entirely cosmetic. Be aware that the "Tauren Effect" is in play here; the two large races, Norn and Charr, feel like they move slower than the others even though run speed is normalized. Likewise, Asura feel like they're flying. Some people (myself included) find it detracts from the game, YMMV.
- For what it's worth, Norn look insanely cool in full armor (especially plate) and Charr have an awesome four-legged run animation, so there's silver lining everywhere.​
3. Buy a copper Mining Pick, Harvesting Sickle and Logging axe as soon as you have the money; there's no gathering professions, everyone can gather everything so long as they have the tools. Resource nodes show up on your mini-map (Grey rock, green leaves, brown log pile) and are instanced for everyone; don't rush to mine a Copper node just because someone is running towards it, you will have your own copy waiting just for you.

4. Likewise, buy a basic Salvage Kit. This is similar to Disenchanting in WoW, but you actually get resources like cloth, leather and metal rather than dusts/essences. This is the primary method for getting cloth and leather, actually. You will get items from enemies that serve no purpose other than to be salvaged, and will be labelled as such.

5. You don't need to be at a waypoint to travel; you can open your map and travel to any waypoint you've previously visited at any time.

6. If you want bags, take up any of the armor crafting professions (Armorsmith, Leatherworker, Tailor) as all three can produce bags right away. You may also want to check the Trading Post (shortcut: o) because the prices there are pretty low.

7. You get weapon swapping at level 7 (unless you're an Elementalist or Engineer), and unlock utility slots at 5, 10 and 20. Elite skills unlock at level 30.

8. For a quick level or two, explore your race's starting city. When you open your map there will be a checklist of the waypoints (Diamonds), Points of Interest (Small squares), and Vistas (Two Red Triangles), all of which give you XP just for visiting them. It also nets you some money and goodies for fully completing the map.

9. Learn to dodge early, it will save you forever. Most enemies have a 'wind up' animation just before they deliver a large attack. The default dodge key is V.
- Red Circles on the ground are enemy AOE attacks; dodge out of those too.​
10. When your health reaches zero, you aren't automatically killed; instead you enter a 'downed' state where you can defeat an enemy (or heal yourself if none are around) to rally back at half health. Keep an eye open for a blue "V" symbol over other players, or on your mini-map; this indicates another played who has been downed, and you can revive them (default key: f) and get some experience.

11. Wander around and do stuff. One of the biggest complaints people new to the game have is that there isn't any direction it shoos you towards. There are traditional quests (marked with hearts on your map), but the real meat of GW2 are events which can happen anywhere at any time. Pay attention to your surroundings; people will often run up to you and ask for help, or you'll see signs that something is amiss (people are sick and the well water is green? Follow the pipes to investigate the water supply.)

12. Whisper any of the officers for an invite to GAF guild where your questions will be answered. Ferny, Ashodin Venteal, Hawkian The Blade, Gojira, Professor Retro, or Wallach. You can be part of GAF Guild regardless of which server you are on (We play on Stormbluff Isle, but it is often full), and you can join multiple guilds as well (so if you have friends already playing, you can switch between them as you like).

13. We use Mumble, and have a GAF server just for our guild; talking is optional but being able to listen helps, especially in dungeons. We also tend to hang out and get overly excited about new features:
Server Address: atl.eoreality.net
Port: 64742
Use your GAF Name as your username to avoid confusion.

14. You can also register at GAFGuild.com, we post all sorts of events and discuss things a little more indepth than we do here, just to keep this thread open for general discussion without getting bogged down in theorycrafting, event notices and such.

AWESOME TIPS (i.e. "Why don't other MMOs have that?!")
- There are no mailboxes anywhere, because you can send and receive mail anywhere via messenger pigeons.

- Likewise, you can buy and sell on the trading post from anywhere. However, any items you buy, or any money you make from selling, can only be picked up at a Trader NPC (marked as a golden scale icon on your map).

- You can click the small gear in the upper right corner of your inventory and select "Deposit all Collectables" to automatically send any crafting materials to your bank. These items appear on the "Collectables" tab at your bank, a special space that holds all of that stuff for you instead of forcing you to hoard it in your regular storage space.

- Your bank space is shared between all of your characters, and there is a space on the lower right to deposit money.

- There is no mob tagging in the traditional sense; as long as you do above a certain threshold of damage, you will get credit and looting rights regardless of who attacked first.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
To add to this, every Thursday night at 8:30pm, the SBI Community has a "WvW Tutorial" night where they basically jump on teamspeak with a bunch of commanders and teach a class on how to play WvW. It's apparently pretty informative, so if you're new to the game or just haven't played WvW, it's a good opportunity to learn. More details here.

Yeah, as much as I hate having to deal with multiple VoIP programs (and teamspeak is the absolute worst) it seems like all of SBI has rallied to it, so for WvW people might consider just using theirs.

And on that note, we've been discussing removing some of the chat rooms on our Mumble server so it's not quite as confusing or buried. We might just hang a WvW room entirely and just have people use the SBI one for a unified front. Not sure yet.
Could we put a message on the mumble login a la: "For WvW, please connect to the SBI TS Server at [address info]" ?

Retro's scooby tips will get you started. Post here, and roll on Stormbluff Isle and join us to get the most out of the experience. We're so helpful it's like we're not even human!

Anno

I'm definitely interested in trying out WvW. This Wednesday, not so much =/ Probably not until this weekend at least. But that's probably good anyway as it will give me some time to get up towards level 80. Just recently I shifted my Guardian (Cierra Moore) over towards a more supportive build so I'm hyped to try it out with a lot of people around.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, it'd be great to hold something both on Wed. and on Sat. night (we'll be in different matchups). I just can't personally commit to either of them which is an unpleasant feelling :( I'll try to be at both, of course, but what I'd really like is if someone who is available and knows WvW a bit (at least the basics like getting supply first, where to put siege) could commit to hosting one or both nights, so that people would know who to look for in the guild to do WvW-y stuff on those nights.

I'm just feeling really unmotivated to play this game. :/

I can't settle on a class/race combination so I only have one leveled character slot. The rest are blank. Starting over sounds like a pain.

I feel like whenever I start a class I just try some stuff until I figure out which rote pattern works best, and then the came devolves into boring button spam.

Trey

I'm just feeling really unmotivated to play this game. :/

I can't settle on a class/race combination so I only have one leveled character slot. The rest are blank. Starting over sounds like a pain.

I feel like whenever I start a class I just try some stuff until I figure out which rote pattern works best, and then the came devolves into boring button spam.

Play in a group.

Unlock all weapons skills and utility slots.

Experiment with traits.

Test your might in events, in dungeons.

Hit up all the starter zones.

Do some personal story.

A lot of ways to shake things up while still not committing too heavily.

Play in a group.

Unlock all weapons skills and utility slots.

Experiment with traits.

Test your might in events, in dungeons.

Hit up all the starter zones.

Do some personal story.

A lot of ways to shake things up while still not committing too heavily.

Honestly I found the personal story (at least for my Human character) really boring. I ended up skipping it entirely as it went on.

As for playing in a group, I doubt many GAFers want to sit in the level 1 zones for very long.

Trey

Honestly I found the personal story (at least for my Human character) really boring. I ended up skipping it entirely as it went on.

As for playing in a group, I doubt many GAFers want to sit in the level 1 zones for very long.

Personal story is rather uninspired, but it's not so bad up to lvl50 or so.

I'll do some low level zones. I get on around 10EDT.

Retro

Retro where are my minis?

Dunno, they were supposed to go on sale in the Gemstore sometime before January. I'm wondering if they were pushed back for some reason.

Malarkey! I tend to do all of the low-level zones on my alts before anything else, even if they over level it. I like the lowbie zones, good places to hang out and meet people.

Seriously, if you see Professor Retro on I'll do whatever level zones you want.

I guess I'm the only one that actually enjoyed the Personal Story and was surprised by it. The only negative feeling I had was that I was really burnt out on fighting Risen by the endgame. Risen were a great idea, just a little too much over-saturation.

Can someone explain to me what culling means in MMO talk? I see it in WvW quite a bit.

Divvy

I guess I'm the only one that actually enjoyed the Personal Story and was surprised by it. The only negative feeling I had was that I was really burnt out on fighting Risen by the endgame. Risen were a great idea, just a little too much over-saturation.

Can someone explain to me what culling means in MMO talk? I see it in WvW quite a bit.

When there are a lot of characters in one spot, the game engine doesn't render characters all at once in order to save memory. This has the unfortunate effect of not rendering entire enemy zergs until they are right upon you.

When there are a lot of characters in one spot, the game engine doesn't render characters all at once in order to save memory. This has the unfortunate effect of not rendering entire enemy zergs until they are right upon you.

Some if someone says "they are culling" that means that said person is noticing them pop up and notifying everyone else that a zerg is there? Also, I've read the thief invis exploit has to do with culling. How does this come into play? Sorry for all the questions.

Divvy

Some if someone says "they are culling" that means that said person is noticing them pop up and notifying everyone else that a zerg is there? Also, I've read the thief invis exploit has to do with culling. How does this come into play? Sorry for all the questions.

Well smart commanders take advantage of culling by having their entire zerg stack onto one tight cluster and rushing as fast as possible. This way the zerg doesn't render until too late. This also exploits the AoE limitations in wvw.

The thief thing isn't an exploit, they just render from decloaking slowly due to the culling engine, which leaves a very small window where they're actually visible before they recloak again. It's insanely hard to kill a good stealth thief due to this right now.

Hopefully they keep improving the engine to sort these problems out sooner than later.

Well smart commanders take advantage of culling by having their entire zerg stack onto one tight cluster and rushing as fast as possible. This way the zerg doesn't render until too late. This also exploits the AoE limitations in wvw.

The thief thing isn't an exploit, they just render from decloaking slowly due to the culling engine, which leaves a very small window where they're actually visible before they recloak again. It's insanely hard to kill a good stealth thief due to this right now.

Hopefully they keep improving the engine to sort these problems out sooner than later.

Ahh I've participated in plenty of stacked runs, but I thought it was just to spread buffs and efficiency of everyone getting to a point together for maximum strength in engagement. Didn't realize that benefit. I've had multiple times where I thought the enemy appeared out of nowhere to my irritation but figured my situational awareness was just bad. Didn't know how an entire zerg could sneak up so suddenly. Appreciate the explanations.

I wish I knew some of the upcoming nerfs because some of the things that make Thieves in particular sound awesome right now sound kinda like a gimmick and I could see Anet addressing them. Trying to figure out what I want my next character to be and I think it's between Thief and Mesmer.

Once leveled up appropriately, which do you guys think is better in 1 vs 1 situations? Thief or Mesmer?

Divvy

Ahh I've participated in plenty of stacked runs, but I thought it was just to spread buffs and efficiency of everyone getting to a point together for maximum strength in engagement. Didn't realize that benefit. I've had multiple times where I thought the enemy appeared out of nowhere to my irritation but figured my situational awareness was just bad. Didn't know how an entire zerg could sneak up so suddenly. Appreciate the explanations.

I wish I knew some of the upcoming nerfs because some of the things that make Thieves in particular sound awesome right now sound kinda like a gimmick and I could see Anet addressing them. Trying to figure out what I want my next character to be and I think it's between Thief and Mesmer.

Once leveled up appropriately, which do you guys think is better in 1 vs 1 situations? Thief or Mesmer?

Well stacked rushes are also good because enemy AoE's can only target 5 enemies. So if you stack, you have a better chance of spreading AoEs around to different people thus reducing their effectiveness. It's pretty backwards.

Both are top tier classes for 1 vs 1. I play both in wvw and I'd say they're both equally good.

Sorry that that doesn't help lol. Mesmer is prob more helpful in zerging situations though, but they're not as good at escaping situations as thieves are.

Well stacked rushes are also good because enemy AoE's can only target 5 enemies. So if you stack, you have a better chance of spreading AoEs around to different people thus reducing their effectiveness. It's pretty backwards.

Both are top tier classes for 1 vs 1. I play both in wvw and I'd say they're both equally good.

Sorry that that doesn't help lol. Mesmer is prob more helpful in zerging situations though, but they're not as good at escaping situations as thieves are.

Yeah it seems like thieves are better for hit and runs (taking over supply camps) and Mez more useful for a variety of things. Stealth has always appealed to me but clones are pretty cool too and it just seems like Mez has so many interesting utilities. Both are considered very good in wvw, but what about pve (what I mostly play)? I know Mez is supposed to be rough at first, but what about after you are up their in lvl with traits? I'm familiar enough with PVE after clearing it all that I'm not too worried about the start for Mez. I've heard they are good for dungeons too and I wonder what abilities in particular make that the case.

Divvy

Yeah it seems like thieves are better for hit and runs (taking over supply camps) and Mez more useful for a variety of things. Stealth has always appealed to me but clones are pretty cool too and it just seems like Mez has so many interesting utilities. Both are considered very good in wvw, but what about pve (what I mostly play)? I know Mez is supposed to be rough at first, but what about after you are up their in lvl with traits? I'm familiar enough with PVE after clearing it all that I'm not too worried about the start for Mez. I've heard they are good for dungeons too and I wonder what abilities in particular make that the case.

Mesmers are great at PvE. I can kill things on my mesmer far faster than my thief with the right build. Greatsword plus the precision trait line makes for very good dps. That said, you'll find yourself very annoyed by the mesmer's lack of speed. Their only semi-useful skill to apply swiftness is with temporal curtain and that move is actually pretty bad in that regard since it doesn't seem to stack properly with other swiftness buffs. (It's an awesome move in other ways, pulling people off cliffs to their deaths in wvw never ceases to be entertaining)

Mesmers are great at PvE. I can kill things on my mesmer far faster than my thief with the right build. Greatsword plus the precision trait line makes for very good dps. That said, you'll find yourself very annoyed by the mesmer's lack of speed. Their only semi-useful skill to apply swiftness is with temporal curtain and that move is actually pretty bad in that regard since it doesn't seem to stack properly with other swiftness buffs. (It's an awesome move in other ways, pulling people off cliffs to their deaths in wvw never ceases to be entertaining)

Yeah I think I'm going to try out Mesmer. It was the other finalist for me before the game came out and I love the idea of being able to troll my opponents and it being such a rewarding profession for advanced play. Now I just need to wrap up my Ele (finish the last percent of World Completion, finish dungeon story modes, and finish all jumping puzzles). Soon, very soon. I already have a name in mind :D Alright, time to get out of work. Thanks very much for all the feedback!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My Mesmer got 100% more enjoyable with Rune of the Centaur.
I've heard they are good for dungeons too and I wonder what abilities in particular make that the case.
Feedback and Null Field are so good :D

My Mesmer got 100% more enjoyable with Rune of the Centaur.

Feedback and Null Field are so good :D

Ooh feedback does look useful. Looking at a whole new range of abilities will almost be like playing a new game haha Now I just have to decide how much I want to look up and torture myself with tease before I finish wrapping up my Ele.

Alright, I'll roll a Sylvari (fuck I hate their preset faces) Ranger. Going with a Fern Dog as my first familiar. I like the idea of having a pet.

I'll be on this weekend... maybe.

I'll have more time in March once some college stuff passes.

How are Mesmers in PVE? I'm not big on PVP yet since I don't know fuckall about anything and battles look like huge clusterfucks. PVE they seem meh-ish. The opposite of a Ranger from what I've heard.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There are a few medium armor masks if you wanna cover your ugly plant face.
Ooh feedback does look useful. Looking at a whole new range of abilities will almost be like playing a new game haha Now I just have to decide how much I want to look up and torture myself with tease before I finish wrapping up my Ele.
I'm just settling into my Ele- really liking the subtleties of some of the traits.

Zephyr's Focus in air, endurance regen while channeling- I bet it's overlooked frequently because Scepter isn't that popular, but the lightning autoattack is a looong channel.

Hmm, ranger of elemental? Ranger or elemental? Or warrior?

I just want to deal insane ranged burst damage, so I'm thinking elemental. But it seems like switching between attunements is practically mandatory. Ranger sounds like a class that could deal some good ranged damage, but does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom