• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Hmm, ranger of elemental? Ranger or elemental? Or warrior?

I just want to deal insane ranged burst damage, so I'm thinking elemental. But it seems like switching between attunements is practically mandatory. Ranger sounds like a class that could deal some good ranged damage, but does it?

Warrior with a rifle or longbow can be pretty powerful, and both integrate well into several play styles. Might be worth considering.

Levyne

Banned
Hmm, ranger of elemental? Ranger or elemental? Or warrior?

I just want to deal insane ranged burst damage, so I'm thinking elemental. But it seems like switching between attunements is practically mandatory. Ranger sounds like a class that could deal some good ranged damage, but does it?

Ranger is more survivable, but you split damage output with your pet. If you can keep the pet alive, it's very possible to do high damage as a ranger. That condition is hard to meet sometimes. That said, I enjoy my ranger waaay more than my elementalist.

Herbert Moon

Neo Member
Well, I just logged in today, after not playing the game at all since early December. I took an extended break after leveling my thief (Dadawah) up to 80, completing personal story, and getting a full exotic armor and weapon set.
It just doesn't feel like there's much to do with him at this point. I realize I can go finish the jumping puzzles, which actually turned out to be one of my favorite aspects of the game, or work on 100% world completion.
What do you guys do with your level 80 characters? I don't really feel motivated to run dungeons, because I've already got a full exotic set, and I don't think WvW interests me a whole lot.

I don't know. I love the game world, but I just don't feel very motivated to keep playing.

Levyne

Banned
Well, I just logged in today, after not playing the game at all since early December. I took an extended break after leveling my thief (Dadawah) up to 80, completing personal story, and getting a full exotic armor and weapon set.
It just doesn't feel like there's much to do with him at this point. I realize I can go finish the jumping puzzles, which actually turned out to be one of my favorite aspects of the game, or work on 100% world completion.
What do you guys do with your level 80 characters? I don't really feel motivated to run dungeons, because I've already got a full exotic set, and I don't think WvW interests me a whole lot.

I don't know. I love the game world, but I just don't feel very motivated to keep playing.

You could do fractals to work on getting ascended rings. Or do the world completion. Work on an alt, too. Wanting to defeat every (pve) challenge in the game was enough motivation for me to do each dungeon path.

If you're not having fun, you're not having fun. Luckily there's no sub so you can put the game down for another month or for forever if you wish.

etiolate

Banned

What I feel like doing changes from week to week. Today I decided to try a condition based build for my Mesmer and ran a dungeon with it. I used some of the excess Karma I have to grab two pieces of exotic gear with condition damage on them. I now have three sets of base exotic armor for three different builds/purposes. I have a set with magic find, toughness and vitality, another set that's almost pure glass cannon, and I can also make a set for condition damage. (But I don't have any jewelry for it.)

For awhile I was just exploring and running into new things I hadn't seen before. I still don't have 100% world completion, but I haven't focused on that achievement yet. I do try to 100% certain zones when I start to get close to 100%, but it's rarely a goal I set out to do.

Last month there was a jumping puzzle monthly achievement and that lead me to finding 20 different jumping puzzles. This also encouraged my exploration itch last month. For example, I did Forsaken Halls for the first time. I also found lots of cool areas with no purpose other than just being cool. A few days ago I tracked down the recently discovered hidden area full of kittens training for combat in WvWvW.

Recently, I had been working on getting my engineer to 80, and after that, I quickly got him a full exotic set. Right now, I am working on doing SE explorable for the dungeon set there for my engineer. I mainly just want the look of that set. I've done the same for my mesmer that has three different exotic swords. I like to style out my characters.

December and November were heavy on WvWvW. Before that I was heavy on dungeons. I haven't really focused on fractals.

If I don't have anything I'm itching to do then I log in to fill out my daily and get the laurel. I'm working towards the Ascended Amulet reward.

Ranger is more survivable, but you split damage output with your pet. If you can keep the pet alive, it's very possible to do high damage as a ranger. That condition is hard to meet sometimes. That said, I enjoy my ranger waaay more than my elementalist.

Is there more to using your pet than those three little commands (attack/skill/return)?

I kind of like their aesthetic more than the warrior. Especially since I get a cute plant-dog companion.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I suppose typically when I log on, I log into an alt and level a bit, while seeing if anything is going on in guild. I run dungeons or fractals with my 80s, hop into wvw, or do stuff that contributes to the daily with my Ele if there's nothing else really happening.

The thing with dungeons is you can't just think of it as "grinding for exotic gear." Dungeon tokens are a currency and you can save them up, while making a lot of real gold at the same time. You can even convert tokens into gold by buying rares and salvaging them for ectos.

Nominally I'm working toward getting my Ele to 80, but I'm also working toward an ascended ring for my thief, an ascended back piece for my mesmer, and a couple cool-looking exotic weapons that are costly. I'm also saving up Laurels probably for an amulet.

I guess it is sort of what you make of it. What do you want to do/get?

Better-looking gear?
Better runes?
Ascended stuff?
A legendary?
A second exotic set?

Or there are the more esoteric goals you could set for yourself, like getting all the jumping puzzles done or the Dungeon Master achievement, or getting every dye or whatever.

Maybe you'd benefit most from just making a checklist of the jumping puzzles you haven't done and doing whatever looks fun on your way to and from them. *shrug*

Trey

I get on and do my daily. Guild chat is usually being spammed with dungeon run invitations. I hop in a group and do work. Dungeons have grown on me. Currently, they comprise the bulk of my attention in game. I can then wander aimlessly around any zone in the game and find something to do. The event system is a revelation for me.

Usually if I'm just bullshitting in game, I get on my second alt (I've already leveled another alt to 80) and either craft to gain levels or do personal story.

If that doesn't whet my appetite, I can enter WvW and get into any zerg to contribute. T1 gets a bad wrap but it's a blast.

GW2 design is extremely appealing to me, from a variety of angles. The exploration factor sets it apart - the world feels worth remembering. Events breathe life into zones (when they're up and working). Shit just clicks.

It also helps that the combat is outstanding in my humble opinion. The under-the-hood element could be better (stats and gear, etc), but felling an enemy is satisfying apart from any reason other than actually succeeding.

Levyne

Banned
Is there more to using your pet than those three little commands (attack/skill/return)?

I kind of like their aesthetic more than the warrior. Especially since I get a cute plant-dog companion.

Not a whole lot more. Obviously you can trait to get a burst of quickness when you switch pets, give your pets regen or other buffs, some pets have combo finishing moves, others do conditions, some are more tanky (drakes) where some do more damage (cats I think), since I'm normally ranged when I use my ranger, I use melee pets and not ranged ones so the they can take some pressure off me a little bit. but there are bosses where a ranged pet is much more reliable. You want to try to switch them out before they go down so that the recharge isn't so high. They're not perfect but you learn how to use them.

Today join the best CoF p1 spam group ever, we were completing it from 9-12mins, after today I now consider the usual 15min group to be average, oh year fuck RNG 7 straight run i got two 78 rares....

Not a whole lot more. Obviously you can trait to get a burst of quickness when you switch pets, give your pets regen or other buffs, some pets have combo finishing moves, others do conditions, some are more tanky (drakes) where some do more damage (cats I think), since I'm normally ranged when I use my ranger, I use melee pets and not ranged ones so the they can take some pressure off me a little bit. but there are bosses where a ranged pet is much more reliable. You want to try to switch them out before they go down so that the recharge isn't so high. They're not perfect but you learn how to use them.

Is it ever explained ingame how you get more pets, or is it just kind of something you stumble on naturally?

Levyne

Banned
Is it ever explained ingame how you get more pets, or is it just kind of something you stumble on naturally?

If you come across anything in the wild that is a "Juvenile _____", you can tame it just by walking up to it. Of course, there are guides telling you where they are all at, but they're all over the place, even in many cities like Hoelbrak.

Moondrop

Banned
Bears seem awesome. I suppose they synergize well with long/shortbows?

Bears are effective at low levels, but overall I'm not a fan. At high levels and in both forms of PvP your enemies simply ignore them because they do so little damage and have little toughness. The primary reason you see a lot of brown bears is for the condition removal. If you want a tanky pet, I recommend moas, drakes, or canines.

The key to pets is keeping them alive, and the key to that is 15 points in the Beastmastery line to reduce the cooldown on swapping.

Lunar15

So many important color decisions.

http://i.minus.com/irSewH2KOQ7qv.jpg
http://i.minus.com/iMw2lYFBFFjPI.jpg
http://i.minus.com/iqXWk04I4joIM.jpg
http://i.minus.com/igsKHJ1Ar3EJ7.jpg
http://i.minus.com/ibglt3XMa2KUVn.jpg
http://i.minus.com/itddABNNmgMUn.jpg
http://i.minus.com/iP7B8fdapsL0v.jpg

I think I may take this too seriously.

ibrt8IttPR6V5o.png

So what's the consensus on the new dailies? I like some of them, others are kinda annoying (the underwater combat one seems to be an attempt to destroy fish stocks in Lake Delevan) and others are stupidly trivial (crafting, visit a laurel vendor).

I completely exoticed out my engineer over the weekend with the karma I'd earned from WvWvW/dailies so time for another goal. Think I'll get my Guardian into fulk exotics next :)

dot

So what's the consensus on the new dailies? I like some of them, others are kinda annoying (the underwater combat one seems to be an attempt to destroy fish stocks in Lake Delevan) and others are stupidly trivial (crafting, visit a laurel vendor).

I like the new dailies! A lot more interesting than the old, boring ones. I think my least favorite would have to be the underwater kills.

I think my least favorite would have to be the underwater kills.

I agree. It's the one that I have to go out of my way to do which makes it annoying.

An evening of WvWvW usually provides enough events, rezes, kills, gathers, dodges etc that I fill most of the events fairly easily.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If the underwater daily is bugging you and the CoE waypoint is uncontested, seriously go to it and walk 3 feet off a ledge.

Retro

A couple weeks and you'll be able to pick your dailies anyways, but I really don't mind the ones we have now, honestly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm following a thread on the official forums right now which is a little magical...

An awful lot of people really seem to think that adding a subscription fee would necessarily be an indicator of improved quality.

Or, my favorite, that ArenaNet would be likely to improve drop rates, RNG and remove diminishing returns if there was a monthly fee. Because everyone knows- once you have your customers paying a subscription, the best decision you can make is to respect their time as much as possible. :)

Bears are effective at low levels, but overall I'm not a fan. At high levels and in both forms of PvP your enemies simply ignore them because they do so little damage and have little toughness. The primary reason you see a lot of brown bears is for the condition removal. If you want a tanky pet, I recommend moas, drakes, or canines.

The key to pets is keeping them alive, and the key to that is 15 points in the Beastmastery line to reduce the cooldown on swapping.

:(

Welp at least canines are still good at high levels.

Shambles

Aquatic Slayer is not part of today's daily.

I never did figure it out. I had both aquatic slayer and crafter that wouldn't progress for me. I suspect it might be related to the game crashing on me before I started to run into these problems. Hopefully it doesn't pop up again, kind of lame to miss out on a daily because of it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Crafter wasn't a part of it either- it's like your tracker was still showing you yseterday's. I'd definitely report that if you get the chance.

Nvm.

I saw the Chauncey post 3 times on my phone for some reason.

On another not, am I the only one who thinks Mini Pets are a waste of in-game wealth?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
am I the only one who thinks Mini Pets are a waste of in-game wealth?
YES

I love them but I rarely save up for them specifically. There's so much other crap I want :-x

My favorite one was given to me by Jepsen anyway. It's a little golem. I have him fold my laundry.

Crafter wasn't a part of it either- it's like your tracker was still showing you yseterday's. I'd definitely report that if you get the chance.

That's a known bug - check your system clock. The client shows the dailies (and monthlies) based on your current system time whereas progress is updated server side (people have used this to peek at potential monthlies for the next few months, but obviously those are subject to change).

This issue didn't used to be a problem when dailies were always the same for obvious reasons.

I saw the Chauncey post 3 times on my phone for some reason.

A glitch in the Matrix?

YES

I love them but I rarely save up for them specifically. There's so much other crap I want :-x

My favorite one was given to me by Jepsen anyway. It's a little golem. I have him fold my laundry.

Yes, I'm the only one or yes, they are a waste of in-game wealth?

I'm pretty sure in another thread he said something about everyone being the same size for the new JP, too. Sounds to me like we're all getting transformed.
It will have 3 difficulty levels as well.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well different paths sort of would make it 3 jumping puzzles in one! Like the Winter Wonterland one, which I found rather pleasant to repeat. :)

Hey guys! Haven't been on in a couple weeks. Been playing Far Cry 3 and Xenoblade. Saw the new February update info and was wondering if they have released any details on what exactly the Guild Missions are. Like, are they open world or instanced and what will we actually be doing?

Shambles

That's a known bug - check your system clock. The client shows the dailies (and monthlies) based on your current system time whereas progress is updated server side (people have used this to peek at potential monthlies for the next few months, but obviously those are subject to change).

This issue didn't used to be a problem when dailies were always the same for obvious reasons.

Checked my date/time and it was correct. It looks like the client is making some sort of error. It worked fine on my wifes computer. Next time it happens I'll try to complete the requirements that I see on her machine and see if I can still obtain the reward. Perhaps the client crash corrupted some file that stored the date.

Levyne

Banned
They could make it sort of similar to the cat golem fractal.

Low difficulties, no hazard
Medium, maybe cripple or freeze.
High, lots of knockback :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey guys! Haven't been on in a couple weeks. Been playing Far Cry 3 and Xenoblade. Saw the new February update info and was wondering if they have released any details on what exactly the Guild Missions are. Like, are they open world or instanced and what will we actually be doing?
No clue! Sounds like open world things to me, like events you can "spawn," but no one really knows. Two weeks to the day!
Checked my date/time and it was correct. It looks like the client is making some sort of error. It worked fine on my wifes computer. Next time it happens I'll try to complete the requirements that I see on her machine and see if I can still obtain the reward. Perhaps the client crash corrupted some file that stored the date.
If nothing else, you should be able to do that. It seems to just be a UI effect... Or, try setting the date to the next, "wrong" day and see if it tracks as you complete.

Wish I could be in-game right now, just feeling the itch I guess. Looks like I'll have tonight free so I feel like playing a bunch... gonna be a big housekeeping day for me. My Mesmer has 20 fewer inventory slots than he should, and it's time to complete the Damage and Support builds/sets I have in mind for him. I'd also like to do a fractal tier 2 daily, 3 more pristine relics for a ring for me.

Also, for some reason I really want to finally get the Forsaken Halls done tonight. I've tried and failed twice for various reasons. It's time. For anyone who has not done it, let's say there will be a very informal guild event tonight at 9PM EST at Wyrmblood Waypoint.

LkPr

I know I'm a little late to the party with this comment but this game is STUNNING! Just built my first gaming pc and I am running the game maxed everything at approximately 60 fps and WOW what a difference... on my old pc everything was set to low and I was only getting 24 fps. Honestly it's like I am playing a whole new game :)

Retro

How can a jumping puzzle have difficulty levels? You guys are freaking me out.

Lower difficulty = more platforms. Simply create a solid footpath of platforms for the easiest level, then slowly remove platforms until you reached the desired level of rage-induction.

Levyne

Banned
I know I'm a little late to the party with this comment but this game is STUNNING! Just built my first gaming pc and I am running the game maxed everything at approximately 60 fps and WOW what a difference... on my old pc everything was set to low and I was only getting 24 fps. Honestly it's like I am playing a whole new game :)

Im at the happy medium between those two. Max out (most) everything but at 26-31 fps.

The art direction is top notch.

Shambles

I also meant to ask everyone what their salvaging habits are. I'm currently using basic salvage kits on any whites I pick up and I sell any blue or greens I get. If I get a 74-79 rare I'll use a master salvage kit to try to get ectoplasm and if it's level 80 I may or may not hold onto it for friends. Any exotics I get I either use or store them.

Is this a horrible use of resources, what do you do with your pickups?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You guys are misinterpreting what I meant when I asked about difficulty levels :p

I mean, how do you have a jumping puzzle where you can select your difficulty? If it's a menu like in selecting a dungeon path then it'd have to be instanced like the holiday ones, which would be interesting. If it's three paths you can just start on which are marked for difficulty, it'd be more like 3 jumping puzzles in one (like the Wintersday one except you couldn't choose).

I also meant to ask everyone what their salvaging habits are. I'm currently using basic salvage kits on any whites I pick up and I sell any blue or greens I get. If I get a 74-79 rare I'll use a master salvage kit to try to get ectoplasm and if it's level 80 I may or may not hold onto it for friends. Any exotics I get I either use or store them.

Is this a horrible use of resources, what do you do with your pickups?
Salvaging blues and whites both this month for the monthly, but otherwise your strategy is pretty good.

One note: if you want ectos, your plan re: rares is good. If you want wealth in general, consider just selling them on the TP- the guaranteed gold is often better than the chance to get nothing.

Levyne

Banned
That's pretty standard for salvaging. I tend to (BL kit) salvage most exotics, keep the ectos, and sell the rune/sigil. Obviously it depends on the item.

Also, for some reason I really want to finally get the Forsaken Halls done tonight. I've tried and failed twice for various reasons. It's time. For anyone who has not done it, let's say there will be a very informal guild event tonight at 9PM EST at Wyrmblood Waypoint.

I should be back around 9ish, but I'm not really sure if I'll be back at 9. Maybe 9:30

Retro

With the exception of this month, salvage whites, vendor blues/greens, salvage Rares with a BL Kit, keep or TP exotics. Seems to make me a nice chunk of money, a steady supply of materials and the occasional ecto/upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom