• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

nataku

You guys are misinterpreting what I meant when I asked about difficulty levels :p

I mean, how do you have a jumping puzzle where you can select your difficulty? If it's a menu like in selecting a dungeon path then it'd have to be instanced like the holiday ones, which would be interesting. If it's three paths you can just start on which are marked for difficulty, it'd be more like 3 jumping puzzles in one (like the Wintersday one except you couldn't choose). .

I'm not sure exactly how they'll go about it, but I'd imagine it'll be instanced like the clock tower was, and you'll select it before you enter. Here's what Josh Foreman said on the forum about how it works in terms of what each difficulty will do:

Already on it. I’m currently placing props in my map that will only appear in Baby Mode that will create bridges over the difficult parts. Normal Mode will have none of those. And Stupid Mode… well, if you’ve ever played I Want To Be The Guy or Syobon Action (AKA Cat Mario) you’ll know what to expect. And all with rewards/titles commensurate with the effort involved.

And this:

No. ALL skills, buffs, or any other un-equalizer will be removed. (including size differences among the races) But if you suck, we will have Baby Mode. So ANYONE should be able to have SOME amount of fun.

And this, which I forgot, so ignore that mention of transformation I said earlier:

I anticipated that most people would want to be their characters, and wouldn’t want to lose the look they’ve worked so hard to achieve, so I made sure we would not transform you into something else. Just don’t expect to be your normal size.

He's been posting a ton in this thread:
https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/What-s-your-favourite-Jumping-Puzzle/first

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Awesooome.

Changing model size for a JP was proven in concept by Chaos Crystal Caverns, so that aspect seems almost mundane to me, but the rest definitely indicates an instanced puzzle like the Clock Tower or Winter Wonderland. Which also makes me assume "timed."

I Want to Be the Guy
Oh god. How many hours of sleep deprivation is this going to cost me.

What level must a rare item be to have a chance of giving out ectoplasm when you salvage it? I forgot.

Level requirement: equipment rated at level 68 or higher have much higher yields than lower-level items.
Item rarity: rare and exotic items are much more likely to produce ecto than items of lower quality.
Kit quality: research suggests that more expensive kits are more likely to produce ecto, with the odds being roughly three times the "chance of rarer materials," e.g. a Master's Salvage Kit (25% chance of rarer materials) will yield an average of 0.75 ecto/item.
From http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Glob_of_Ectoplasm

Lunar15

I've said it once, but I'll say it again: Jumping puzzles are to Anet what hats are to Valve.

An almost unintended side-effect full of awesome.

Trey

The thing that makes me smile is the knowledge that Anet built the game to be extremely flexible. They can seamlessly add content into the game world.

I think I saw someone mention fractals. I'm up for running them tonight.

I've said it once, but I'll say it again: Jumping puzzles are to Anet what hats are to Valve.

An almost unintended side-effect full of awesome.

Are these jumping puzzle things (never done one in GW2) any good? I've found jumping to get to Vistas to be a huge pain in the ass. Especially since ANET seems to be a fan of jumping in ways that look like you are abusing glitches, but are actually the legitimate way of getting to the Vista.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Are these jumping puzzle things (never done one in GW2) any good? I've found jumping to get to Vistas to be a huge pain in the ass. Especially since ANET seems to be a fan of jumping in ways that look like you are abusing glitches, but are actually the legitimate way of getting to the Vista.
I dunno what you're referring to regarding looking like you are abusing glitches. Most vistas have an exceedingly clear path to them that just needs a little figuring out; all of the jumps themselves should be pretty mundane.

If you don't like those sequences you probably won't like jumping puzzles. Some of them are quite challenging in terms of actual dexterity, some are very unique and memorable in design and many are visually gorgeous. But they definitely are jumping.

There are over 40 in the game as of the last I heard. One of the my favorite aspects of the game personally.

Trey

Jumping puzzles are a bit more straightforward. But finding what you can and can't reach is the best part of the game world. Anet's design is very subtle with certain vistas, but never require you to take leaps of faith. A gentle hand powered by recognition and hunches guides you through.

Very rewarding stuff.

Lunar15

I haven't done many, either. All this talk of them is making me want to go find them though. We should do another JP-centric guild event.

So can anybody tell me as a necromancer why the staff is so good and recommendable? I just started necro and used the staff because so many ppl who played the class recommended it, and I just don't get it. I know the staff puts down marks and traps which help out in groups, but it's offensive attack isn't so good. I'm usually forced to switch to my dagger to do critical damage, while my staff is just used for groups. Is this how the staff is supposed to be use?

Katoki

tsHNjjj.jpg

So I'm procrastinating... Hawkian, stop getting so excited.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I am untouchable, you may combine your might and barely compete with my embarrassing glory

Anyway- servers go down tonight don't they! Maybe so much for getting to do the stuff I wanted to...

Wonder what they're doing.

edit: No wait, that's 3:00AMEST. False alarm people! (Sorry Europeans D:)

xeris

So can anybody tell me as a necromancer why the staff is so good and recommendable? I just started necro and used the staff because so many ppl who played the class recommended it, and I just don't get it. I know the staff puts down marks and traps which help out in groups, but it's offensive attack isn't so good. I'm usually forced to switch to my dagger to do critical damage, while my staff is just used for groups. Is this how the staff is supposed to be use?

Groups and certain mobs that are better attacked with ranged are pretty much the only time I switch to staff. That said, it depends on your build. Once you get far up the talents there's some stuff that can make staff really shine in those situations.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Heading home and gonna have a brief nap.

For those interested, let's say 8:00ish for a Fractal daily run, and 9:30 (or whenever we get out) for the Forsaken Halls. Eastern Time.

Decided to give the Warrior a low level run. I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit.

Sword/Warhorn is fun, though Warhorn is kind of useless while solo. Sword though seems great 1v1 with all the bleeding and mobility. Not sure what the point of crippling is. I have to be close to my enemy, and if they were to try to run I'd lunge.

Mace is fun, but a bit slow. I love counters though.

Greatsword is fun, and seems good at dealing with crowds.

I think I'll main Warrior. Ranger was ok-ish. Though I didn't try all the weapon combinations. Mostly because I got no weapon drops. And somehow my Warrior got like 5 different weapon drops in the first 10 minutes of playing.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Decided to give the Warrior a low level run. I'm actually enjoying it quite a bit.

Sword/Warhorn is fun, though Warhorn is kind of useless while solo. Sword though seems great 1v1 with all the bleeding and mobility. Not sure what the point of crippling is. I have to be close to my enemy, and if they were to try to run I'd lunge.

Mace is fun, but a bit slow. I love counters though.

Greatsword is fun, and seems good at dealing with crowds.

I think I'll main Warrior. Ranger was ok-ish. Though I didn't try all the weapon combinations. Mostly because I got no weapon drops. And somehow my Warrior got like 5 different weapon drops in the first 10 minutes of playing.

Greatsword is the best levelling weapon in the game. Nothing compares!

Trey

Many people say Warriors are a "better Warrior". If nothing else, Warriors are extremely versatile and have a strong presence in every mode.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Impressed with how guesting to try and locate a triggered event works; pretty seamless experience, and my first time guesting.

Also, doing the Forsaken Halls cleared my events daily alone.

Grayman

A couple weeks and you'll be able to pick your dailies anyways, but I really don't mind the ones we have now, honestly.

really? I would like this since I find events really hard to find some days.

I would probably do dodge and veterans each day.

Complistic

really? I would like this since I find events really hard to find some days.

I would probably do dodge and veterans each day.

Events is like one of the easiest ones. Go run in a straight line in any map and you'll come up with 5 events no problem. Some chains even have 2 or 3 that chain after it.

As you've found out dagger will do a lot of the heavy lifting for damage and you should really look into paring it with Epidemic when fighting possible groups. Scepter also makes a great MH with a dagger OH. The 2-5 combo is especially brutal. Daggers also synergise incredibly well with corruptions because you can pop one (i.e. blood is power) and immediately dump the conditions on an enemy using deathly swarm.

Staff on the other hand is your control/support weapon not your dps weapon. You can drop AoE weakness and condition transfer, fears and regen. You can often start a fight opening with the 3-4 aoe weakness combo, switch out to your dps weapon set, drop all your stuff, death shroud and get popping bitches.

If you have terrible luck with events, just do WvW. Event's all over if you follow a commander and veterans all over as well for that veteran slayer. I usually do all my stuff in WvW. Some stuff I don't do are aquatic slayer, crafting/gathering(sometimes, otherwise there are a good amount of rich nodes), or healer (this one can be a bit tricky to get in WvW).

Anyone here play Warrior in WvW?

I'm using Axe/Mace + Longbow right now with Mending, "FGJ", "Shake It Off", Banner of Discipline and Signet of Rage.

I seem to do pretty well 1 on 1 as long as I am not fighting an invisible Theif or stupid Mesemer, but the biggest problem I have is that it is really difficult for me to get away when I see that I'm out matched, the imobilization conditon just destroyed me.

What do other Warrios play? Should I try different weapons? Should I get a sheild?

Lrn2reed

Neo Member

I'm using Axe/Mace + Longbow right now with Mending, "FGJ", "Shake It Off", Banner of Discipline and Signet of Rage.

I seem to do pretty well 1 on 1 as long as I am not fighting an invisible Theif or stupid Mesemer, but the biggest problem I have is that it is really difficult for me to get away when I see that I'm out matched, the imobilization conditon just destroyed me.

What do other Warrios play? Should I try different weapons? Should I get a sheild?

I'd like to know this too. I want to use my warrior for wvw, but I haven't been ingame to test out any builds yet.

Looking up online, I've seen a few builds that use mainhand sword and either mace or axe offhand (perhaps even the dreaded warhorn) for better mobility.

I'm thinking GS and Bow would be sufficient enough to make your pretty mobile, and add in bullrush maybe?

I don't know...

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

If you find immobilzation a problem there are a few things you can do.

I run a GS warrior for wvw and I have the mobile strikes trait in tier 2 of discipline that lets me break immo with movement skills. This is really useful since two of the GS are movement skills.

I also run a shout build with 2 utility shouts and soldier runes that remove a condition per shout. Very useful when paired with "shouts heal"

You can also use a warhorn and get the "quick breathing" trait that turns conditions to boons.

So you actually have quite a few options for this.

Usually I use GS and sword/warhorn

It keeps me pretty mobile since I have 3 movement skills and skills that give me swiftness and vigor

Complistic

Stormbluff feels absolutely empty. Could be that I'm in the starting areas mostly, but jeez.

edit: Also I want to play as a Quaggan. :(

It really depends what time of the day you play. If you're playing the morning, then yes, just about every zone that isn't high end is empty. If you play later in the day everything seems very populated.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Stormbluff feels absolutely empty. Could be that I'm in the starting areas mostly, but jeez.

edit: Also I want to play as a Quaggan. :(
Queensdale and Metrica were both pretty populous last night. During a champ event, somebody said "Are veteran hunting groups a thing? They should be a thing." I still needed three for my daily so I immediately partied with him, and one other. We split up running around looking for vets and calling the others over, good times.

Note, if a particular zone seems more empty than you'd like, consider a quick guest hop to another server to see if there's more happening. It's pretty seamless.

Complistic

Queensdale and Metrica were both pretty populous last night. During a champ event, somebody said "Are veteran hunting groups a thing? They should be a thing." I still needed three for my daily so I immediately partied with him, and one other. We split up running around looking for vets and calling the others over, good times.

Note, if a particular zone seems more empty than you'd like, consider a quick guest hop to another server to see if there's more happening. It's pretty seamless.

Never heard of guest hopping. I will look into it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Never heard of guest hopping. I will look into it.
It's quite simple.

1) ESC
2) Exit to Character Select
3) Click World Selection
4) Choose a server from the list you wanna guest on (you'll want a Very High server for this purpose), click Guest
4a) You can guest on any two, but no more than two servers within a 24-hour period
5) Just click back into your character and you'll be back in the same zone, same spot, as a guest on the other server

Do your stuffs then. Also very helpful if you're trying to access a "triggered event" that is complete or not working on your server (Low pop servers may be better choices for this). When you're done,

6) Head back to character select and you're automatically back on your home world.

Arcteryx

Hmm, ranger of elemental? Ranger or elemental? Or warrior?

I just want to deal insane ranged burst damage, so I'm thinking elemental. But it seems like switching between attunements is practically mandatory. Ranger sounds like a class that could deal some good ranged damage, but does it?

Ranger alone can do pretty good dmg, however a lot of the dmg is pet shared, and without proper micro...you are going to do pretty sub-par dmg. Lot of fun to play IMO, but requires a different mindset than I've found in most other MMOs.

Warrior can definitely do INSANE ranged burst with rifle(SF runs around with a couple berserker warriors who act as snipers, pretty much oneshotting enemy commanders).

Ele can do crazy ranged dmg too, but as you said, you will end up with little means of surviving a situation(assuming you spec complete berserker), aside from tele/mist/stun breakers. As far as switching attunements goes, yea if you aren't doing that...you aren't playing the class right. I've seen a number of posts on the official forums referencing people saying "what attunement do you main"... The whole point is to use the attunement that's best for the given situation. I love how different the playstyles can feel depending not only on the weapon but also the attunement. Depending on how you trait, swapping can grant extra boons, obviously access to different skills(which can further grant extra boons, perma swiftness/fury, etc), so it really benefits the player to swap regularly.

Personally I've been running around a lot in WvW with my modified bunker ele build, and I gotta say that it probably has the most "synergistic" feel of any of the classes I've played so far. The traits and what not just "click" really well together.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Switching between attunements is absolutely mandatory for Eles. You're rewarded for focusing on a couple of elements, but managing your skillsets (especially self-combos) is critical to playing the class successfully. You get crazy mobility, utility, and damage for literally any situation in the tradeoff, but it's definitely complex.

I definitely have my spells that I go to more often than others. Once I pick up some of the "on attunement" traits it'll be more fun to rotate more often.

nataku

Oh wow. My first load into the game was taking about a minute, and I just loaded in and it took maybe 10 seconds. Probably less. And I'm not getting awful stuttering.

How big was your file?

Mine is only 1.4MB. The reddit thread had people with huge files. I'm guessing if your file is large, you might as well try it. I doubt it would do anything for me considering my file size is about what people got post-deletion.

Switching between attunements is absolutely mandatory for Eles. You're rewarded for focusing on a couple of elements, but managing your skillsets (especially self-combos) is critical to playing the class successfully. You get crazy mobility, utility, and damage for literally any situation in the tradeoff, but it's definitely complex.

I definitely have my spells that I go to more often than others. Once I pick up some of the "on attunement" traits it'll be more fun to rotate more often.

Honestly changing attunements in PVE is only necessary for the most difficult content such as dungeons and Champions. If I'm just running around zones, fire is more than enough to wreck everything. That said, rotating elements is how you're 'supposed' to play, it's the most effective way to play and if you are just starting out an Ele, you want to learn how to bounce as early as possible to get in the habit. Plus, you'll feel pretty bad ass bouncing around the elements and making different skills synergize well together. Combos, combos everywhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom