• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

Oh wow. My first load into the game was taking about a minute, and I just loaded in and it took maybe 10 seconds. Probably less. And I'm not getting awful stuttering.

Was about the same time as always for me. My .dat was 60mb.

My framerate is much improved, though. I get 60fps when I have the guild menu open, now. Used to be half that.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly changing attunements in PVE is only necessary for the most difficult content such as dungeons and Champions. If I'm just running around zones, fire is more than enough to wreck everything. That said, rotating elements is how you're 'supposed' to play, it's the most effective way to play and if you are just starting out an Ele, you want to learn how to bounce as early as possible to get in the habit. Plus, you'll feel pretty bad ass bouncing around the elements and making different skills synergize well together. Combos, combos everywhere!

If I play, I do that (well I try), but the keyboard's kinda getting in my way here. On my Warrior I just put the weapon change on a mouse button (just have 2 or 3 of those extra), how do you guys setup your keys with an ele?

daxy

Started playing again this week after those emails a while ago reminded me I still had the game and new content was coming out. I'm on Gunnars Hold (EU) because the friend who I played with was there, but now that he doesn't play anymore I wanted to transfer.

1600 gems, not too bad I thought! Then had a look at how much gold I have to convert for that.. Conversion rate is just about half of what it was when I played around launch :')
Ok, let's buy Gems with real monies. €20 for 1600. I don't want it that bad, I guess?
Looks like I'll be saving up then, haha (though knowing myself I'll probably get bored by the time I save up ~20 gold). Until then I suppose I'll just guest on Gandara.

Arcteryx

If I play, I do that (well I try), but the keyboard's kinda getting in my way here. On my Warrior I just put the weapon change on a mouse button (just have 2 or 3 of those extra), how do you guys setup your keys with an ele?

I use a mouse, which luckily has a few programmable buttons that I setup for the attunement swaps. As for my 7-0 abilities(I use passive heal on spell cast, so I hardly ever burn my normal heal, hence the no re-map), I remapped them to keys near my left pointer/thumb digits.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
D-pad attunement. Down for lightning aw yeah!
Started playing again this week after those emails a while ago reminded me I still had the game and new content was coming out. I'm on Gunnars Hold (EU) because the friend who I played with was there, but now that he doesn't play anymore I wanted to transfer.

1600 gems, not too bad I thought! Then had a look at how much gold I have to convert for that.. Conversion rate is just about half of what it was when I played around launch :')
Ok, let's buy Gems with real monies. €20 for 1600. I don't want it that bad, I guess?
Guess I'll be saving up then, haha (though knowing myself I'll probably get bored by the time I save up ~20 gold). Until then I suppose I'll just guest on Gandara.
Do you wanna come to SBI? We can maybe hold a fundraiser for ya ;P

LA load times on a regular HDD doesn't have to be long, if you are using the HoTM to return to LA then it will take forever, but if you choose one of the less populated WP you can load in rather quickly...

Complistic

How big was your file?

Mine is only 1.4MB. The reddit thread had people with huge files. I'm guessing if your file is large, you might as well try it. I doubt it would do anything for me considering my file size is about what people got post-deletion.

40.3mb I think it was.

I'm on the most inefficient control scheme possible: no key bindings and a vanilla mouse with no extra buttons. I've always been a console gamer and I can't stand using keyboard and mouse but I love me some GW so what are you going to do? I'd be a hundred times better at this game if I could use the 360 controller :( I need a local Hawkian that I can pay to setup the 360 scheme on my computer. I'm so unfamiliar with this stuff.

Levyne

Banned
I'm on the most inefficient control scheme possible: no key bindings and a vanilla mouse with no extra buttons. I've always been a console gamer and I can't stand using keyboard and mouse but I love me some GW so what are you going to do? I'd be a hundred times better at this game if I could use the 360 controller :( I need a local Hawkian that I can pay to setup the 360 scheme on my computer. I'm so unfamiliar with this stuff.

Hey now, I think I've only added one extra binding and I play with a regular mouse :(

works for me

LkPr

check this thread out...

http://www.gafguild.com/index.php?threads/controller-gaf-configs.52/

pretty fool-proof way of starting up with a controller

Hey now, I think I've only added one extra binding and I play with a regular mouse :(

works for me
Well yeah, I play fine too. Have to admit that bindings probably make things more efficient, though. For me, the main reason a controller would make me much better is mobility. It's not much of an issue in PVE, but it would help enormously with really agile players in WvW. Xbox controller is natural to me and I'd be able to pull off everything without thinking and move seamlessly.
check this thread out...

Blocked from work, is it Hawkian's write up? I remember trying his method but it didn't work for me. I want to say it came down for having to buy software or something along those lines. I couldn't get his profile for GW2 and I think it had something to do with only having the free version.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
check this thread out...

The config Absinthe himself is using to play is outrageously weird to me, but yeah, follow weltall's guide.
Well yeah, I play fine too. Have to admit that bindings probably make things more efficient, though. For me, the main reason a controller would make me much better is mobility. It's not much of an issue in PVE, but it would help enormously with really agile players in WvW. Xbox controller is natural to me and I'd be able to pull off everything without thinking and move seamlessly.

Blocked from work, is it Hawkian's write up? I remember trying his method but it didn't work for me. I want to say it came down for having to buy software or something along those lines. I couldn't get his profile for GW2 and I think it had something to do with only having the free version.
That's several iterations ago. Now you just download Weltall's zip file and follow the instructions. Everything you need is included (free and legal).

File -> Download

It really is pretty simple. You may need to disable User Account Control and reboot if it seems like you're having issues at first.

The config Absinthe himself is using to play is outrageously weird to me, but yeah, follow weltall's guide.

That's several iterations ago. Now you just download Weltall's zip file and follow the instructions. Everything you need is included (free and legal).

File -> Download

It really is pretty simple. You may need to disable User Account Control and reboot if it seems like you're having issues at first.

Alright, I'll check it out when I get home. Thanks! I really hope it works this time!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Please post here or PM me if you're having any issues, I'd love to help you get it working. No exaggeration to say that it has doubled my enjoyment of the game (also I'm now handicapped when playing with a m+k D: )

Trey

Some of the Greatsword skills seem meh. Though I guess that's to balance out the fact that Hundred Blades is amazing.

Two movement skills, a ranged condition skill, hundred broke ass blades, a solid spam skill, a solid burst skill.

GS Warrior is over represented for a reason.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Two movement skills, a ranged condition skill, hundred broke ass blades, a solid spam skill, a solid burst skill.

That's six skills SHENANIGANS

I have absolutely no idea what the warrior class mechanic is

The two movement skills don't seem very good honestly, one spins you face first into an enemy group and deals minor damage at best. The other makes you run into an enemy dealing minor damage at best. I guess they could be used for escape, but my class says Warrior not Pansy. Maybe I'm just not sure how to use them well. If I wanted movement though I'd rock Warhorn/Sword.

Are the movement skills purely for closing the gap with ranged attackers, because if so I can switch to a ranged weapon myself.

Please post here or PM me if you're having any issues, I'd love to help you get it working. No exaggeration to say that it has doubled my enjoyment of the game (also I'm now handicapped when playing with a m+k D: )

Will do buddy, no doubt it would HIGHLY escalate my enjoyment as well (not that I don't love the game anyway).

In other news, I finally completed my first monthly challenge last night! wooooo
I was salivating at the 10 laurel prize and 10 karma jugs isn't shabby either. I only recently learned you can use karma boosters with jugs so I started stacking them and with the monthly, I now have 20. I have a karma booster stored already so now I need to get me some ice cream and that guild boon for karma and I'll be in Karma accruing heaven. I need to figure out how many jugs I want to collect before doing it though haha

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I haven't used a container of karma since they added them to dungeons, let alone dailies and monthlies.

When I finally sit down and get the boosters going (I'll probably have a Karma infusion handy by that time too), it will be quite cray indeed.

Proven

It actually sounds... interesting. In early maps, the center point was the main focus, and the side objectives were essentially ways to steal the importance of bunkering the center point, and possibly the side points, out from under the other team. But as with Raid on the Capricorn, they're letting the gimmick be a more important force on the map (the gimmick on raid being both water covering 60% of the map and a cannon able to fire on another 30%).

Honestly, Silent Storm probably has the best balance between node control and gimmick. It shot up to my favorite map on the PvP menu without me realizing it... and this was before it was added to tournaments.

The two movement skills don't seem very good honestly, one spins you face first into an enemy group and deals minor damage at best. The other makes you run into an enemy dealing minor damage at best. I guess they could be used for escape, but my class says Warrior not Pansy. Maybe I'm just not sure how to use them well. If I wanted movement though I'd rock Warhorn/Sword.

Are the movement skills purely for closing the gap with ranged attackers, because if so I can switch to a ranged weapon myself.

That's how I felt at first, honestly, but I've been proven wrong about the fact. The point isn't to use them for damage. It's to use them for movement. You can use one movement skill to charge in, do a Hundred Blades if there's time, and then use the other movement skill to get out. The whirl attack counts as an evasion skill, so it's extremely good for escape, and it's the primary reason why solo Lupus kills were able to be done at all with a Warrior. The rush skill covers a whole lot of range, so it's extremely effective at putting some distance between you and the enemy team. Then there's the fact that you have a trait that breaks immobilize with movement skills, and then you have something that's almost exactly like the warhorn cleansing trait when it comes to getting away. You can add the fact that everyone who mains Greatsword uses their weapon switch for either offhand Shield for defense or offhand Warhorn for escape, and if it's Warhorn they'll have a 5 second weapon swap time so they can keep that swiftness up to extend the distance of their Greatsword movement skills. Oh, and the whirl is extremely good for building up adrenaline while staying on the move. And the whirl attack had to have it's damage nerfed at one point, but the rush attack can still hit decently hard in a high power/crit damage build.

That turned long winded. What I'm trying to get at is that the Greatsword hits hard, and it's the best movement weapon set on par with Sword/Warhorn, which many Warriors using Greatsword keep as their weapon swap/extra getaway option anyway. It's precious, because things hit too damn hard in this game much of the time and the only way to survive is to completely negate or getaway from damage at times, and the Greatsword facilitates that.

As for movement skills in general, what's probably going to become a problem eventually is that skills meant to be gap-closers are way too good at being gap-openers instead.

I haven't used a container of karma since they added them to dungeons, let alone dailies and monthlies.

When I finally sit down and get the boosters going (I'll probably have a Karma infusion handy by that time too), it will be quite cray indeed.

That's right, will get the karma infusion too. I don't even know what I want to use them on anymore. Originally, I was going to get the armor in orr, but is that better than what I can make for myself at Tailor 400? If not, what's the point? I guess I wouldn't have to waste gold acquiring what I need to craft it but I also might not get the stats I want all together by getting it from the karma vendor. Is there even anything else worth spending it on?

Arcteryx

That's right, will get the karma infusion too. I don't even know what I want to use them on anymore. Originally, I was going to get the armor in orr, but is that better than what I can make for myself at Tailor 400? If not, what's the point? I guess I wouldn't have to waste gold acquiring what I need to craft it but I also might not get the stats I want all together by getting it from the karma vendor. Is there even anything else worth spending it on?

Those little chests you can get from the Orr vendors for ~4500 karma. I blew through all my karma an made well over 70g? I think.

That's how I felt at first, honestly, but I've been proven wrong about the fact. The point isn't to use them for damage. It's to use them for movement. You can use one movement skill to charge in, do a Hundred Blades if there's time, and then use the other movement skill to get out. The whirl attack counts as an evasion skill, so it's extremely good for escape, and it's the primary reason why solo Lupus kills were able to be done at all with a Warrior. The rush skill covers a whole lot of range, so it's extremely effective at putting some distance between you and the enemy team. Then there's the fact that you have a trait that breaks immobilize with movement skills, and then you have something that's almost exactly like the warhorn cleansing trait when it comes to getting away. You can add the fact that everyone who mains Greatsword uses their weapon switch for either offhand Shield for defense or offhand Warhorn for escape, and if it's Warhorn they'll have a 5 second weapon swap time so they can keep that swiftness up to extend the distance of their Greatsword movement skills. Oh, and the whirl is extremely good for building up adrenaline while staying on the move. And the whirl attack had to have it's damage nerfed at one point, but the rush attack can still hit decently hard in a high power/crit damage build.

That turned long winded. What I'm trying to get at is that the Greatsword hits hard, and it's the best movement weapon set on par with Sword/Warhorn, which many Warriors using Greatsword keep as their weapon swap/extra getaway option anyway. It's precious, because things hit too damn hard in this game much of the time and the only way to survive is to completely negate or getaway from damage at times, and the Greatsword facilitates that.

As for movement skills in general, what's probably going to become a problem eventually is that skills meant to be gap-closers are way too good at being gap-openers instead.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm finding myself having trouble using the rush skill to get out, since the game seems to want me to target random enemies with it.

I'm actually enjoying GS less than I thought I would for PVE. I much prefer the Guardian GS. Maybe that will change when I hit dungeon levels.

If you find immobilzation a problem there are a few things you can do.

I run a GS warrior for wvw and I have the mobile strikes trait in tier 2 of discipline that lets me break immo with movement skills. This is really useful since two of the GS are movement skills.

I also run a shout build with 2 utility shouts and soldier runes that remove a condition per shout. Very useful when paired with "shouts heal"

You can also use a warhorn and get the "quick breathing" trait that turns conditions to boons.

So you actually have quite a few options for this.

Usually I use GS and sword/warhorn

It keeps me pretty mobile since I have 3 movement skills and skills that give me swiftness and vigor

+1 sword/warhorn combo. Actually warhorn is becoming the new hotness in PvE especially for shout builds. I'd use it myself, but I'm attached to my crit rifle build and keeping my GS because I love Vision of the Mists (and sheer laziness).

LkPr

I was just prompted that I need to change my password... I have tried 15 different Pws and combinations and nothing is working... is there something wrong with the system? I'm not even getting an error message when I try to enter a new PW.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I was just prompted that I need to change my password... I have tried 15 different Pws and combinations and nothing is working... is there something wrong with the system? I'm not even getting an error message when I try to enter a new PW.
Where are you doing this, on their site?

Trey

Once you realize you can cause AoE damage while becoming invulnerable, while gaining position with GS3, it'll become your go to skill.

It has a short CD and is useful in every single situation, and it needs no set up like GS2.

Hawkian, I listed six skills because warriors gain access to a sixth skill (called a burst skill) once they accrue enough adrenaline. There's a unique burst skill for each two hand or main hand weapon.

scotcheggz

Cheers for introducing me to the dungeons today GAF, I think I preferred the dungeon we did (AC?) to fractals, they chuffed me off a bit if I'm honest, I found them a little bit gimmicky at times, but maybe it was just a lot to take in. Anyway, thanks again for the patience, I'd like to try some more dungeons, cof for sure because I want the sexy shoulders for my thief :D

I was the warrior (eydis kane) by the way, I also have a thief (Leifa), just to tie names with faces :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Once you realize you can cause AoE damage while becoming invulnerable, while gaining position with GS3, it'll become your go to skill.

It has a short CD and is useful in every single situation, and it needs no set up like GS2.

Hawkian, I listed six skills because warriors gain access to a sixth skill (called a burst skill) once they accrue enough adrenaline. There's a unique burst skill for each two hand or main hand weapon.
ewww now I know stuff about warriors

Shambles

My dailies are perma-fucked it seems. Can someone tell me what todays actual dailies are?

Edit: Found some, no worries!

Even though the date/time was right I figured I get windows to set the time from the internet and it seemed to fix GW2. It must have been a wrong time zone, or perhaps it just forced an update within the game client *shrugs*

Proven

Thanks for the explanation. I'm finding myself having trouble using the rush skill to get out, since the game seems to want me to target random enemies with it.

I'm actually enjoying GS less than I thought I would for PVE. I much prefer the Guardian GS. Maybe that will change when I hit dungeon levels.

There's auto targetting. Either you have to turn it off in options or get used to aiming your screen and expressively clicking on open terrain to get it to not target anything. And even then it might screw up. When you turn off auto-targetting then you have to be a god at tab targetting or get an extra button for target-closest because all ranged attacks get screwed up and I'm not about to untape my right mouse button in a fight just to click on something in the back all the damned time.

I need to learn how to be more concise.

I didn't comment on this because almost all Warriors never use the Greatsword burst skill. I almost thought Hawkian was making a joke about it.

Sometimes I wonder if the burst skill should have been Hundred Blades...

Gah, now I'm stuck between Thief or Warrior. Stealth is fun as hell, but I suck at dodging so I feel the Heavy armor worn by the Warrior class and higher health pool will serve me better.

I could always play both though.

Proven

Gah, now I'm stuck between Thief or Warrior. Stealth is fun as hell, but I suck at dodging so I feel the Heavy armor worn by the Warrior class and higher health pool will serve me better.

I could always play both though.

If you're going to be more PvE focused, I'd say Warrior. If you're going to be more PvP/WvW focused, I'd say Thief. It's generally agreed upon that their mechanics, in combination with enemy AI and enemy player techniques, are favored a bit in each of those modes.

If you're going to be more PvE focused, I'd say Warrior. If you're going to be more PvP/WvW focused, I'd say Thief. It's generally agreed upon that their mechanics, in combination with enemy AI and enemy player techniques, are favored a bit in each of those modes.

I haven't done WvW yet. I might give it a spin later, though apparently Stormbluff was abandoned by most of the WvW players.

xeris

Yah... it looks like when you enter a new password it doesn't 'say' anything so I successfully changed my PW and didn't realize it... hah

I had that problem the other day when I changed mine. Took me a good 10 minutes to go back and try the first one to see if it would get me in the game.

Man ... GW2 is the first time I have ever come across a game where just being able to turn you character "black" is somehow worth a butt load of money o_O;

Trying to gets laurels so that I can buy some dyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom