• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Man ... GW2 is the first time I have ever come across a game where just being able to turn you character "black" is somehow worth a butt load of money o_O;

Trying to gets laurels so that I can buy some dyes.

It may be worth it just to buy the dye outright than try and get it by chance. 10g for Black or Midnight Ice (which, on the right material, can be blacker than black...). You can copy the codes on the GW2 database and whisper them to yourself to see which you prefer.

Actually, let me do that for ya;

Black: [&AgGGTwAA]
Midnight Ice: [&AgEmUAAA]
Abyss: [&AgGETwAA]

Just /w, then your name, then paste in the code and click preview. You may have to do it multiple times to affect the dye channel you want.

I'm kind of curious now. I remember Stormbluff being high on the WvW ranking. Why then did a bunch of people jump ship?

Quick and dirty summary:
Other servers (Jade Quarry, Sea of Sorrows, etc) were willing to do shit like harass and exploit to win, especially targeting the overnight Korean guild War Machine. They grew tired of nasty, racist comments, harassment and the underhanded tactics needed to stay competitive in Tier 1, so they left. Because Tier 1 is more about coverage and numbers than skill and tactics, we had no overnight coverage and things SBI retook during the day were recaptured with minimal effort over night. SBI started to slip in the rankings, right about the time ArenaNet announced that free server transfers were ending. A lot of the more competitive WvW guilds (especially Strike Force) decided to abandon SBI for a "more competitive" server. This gave other guilds a reason to leave as well, furthering the server's fall.

And that's about where things stand now.

I keep seeing mixed reactions on resetting the .dat file which is keeping me from trying it. I guess I'll see how many of you guys do it and have positive experiences. Really the only problem is it takes a ridiculously long time to load up into LA when I first log-in. I should experiment with logging off in a zone and see if that loads up faster upon the next log-in.

Hawkian, it worked! I finally was able to get the controller to work! wooooo! Now I just have to endure playing terrible and slow while I get acclimated to the controls haha Probably should stick to low lvl and jumping puzzles. Those things will be easier than ever using a console controller :) Thanks, man! One question though, how do you target a specific enemy in a mob? Do you have to go into 'mouse' mode and select them? Or is there a hotkey that I'm missing?

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Abyss was always my favorite black. No idea why people bought black instead when abyss is a truer black. Maybe slightly cheaper but still made no sense at the time. This was a several months ago when I was still active.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
It's quite simple.

1) ESC
2) Exit to Character Select
3) Click World Selection
4) Choose a server from the list you wanna guest on (you'll want a Very High server for this purpose), click Guest
4a) You can guest on any two, but no more than two servers within a 24-hour period
5) Just click back into your character and you'll be back in the same zone, same spot, as a guest on the other server

Do your stuffs then. Also very helpful if you're trying to access a "triggered event" that is complete or not working on your server (Low pop servers may be better choices for this). When you're done,

6) Head back to character select and you're automatically back on your home world.

This is the most awesome feature ever in a MMO. Can't wait to try it when my internet cap resets tomorrow.

Another great thing about this, is you can still do dungeons with gaffers without having to hop over back to your home server. With WwVsW you'd have to do that though.

Quick and dirty summary:
Other servers (Jade Quarry, Sea of Sorrows, etc) were willing to do shit like harass and exploit to win, especially targeting the overnight Korean guild War Machine. They grew tired of nasty, racist comments, harassment and the underhanded tactics needed to stay competitive in Tier 1, so they left. Because Tier 1 is more about coverage and numbers than skill and tactics, we had no overnight coverage and things SBI retook during the day were recaptured with minimal effort over night. SBI started to slip in the rankings, right about the time ArenaNet announced that free server transfers were ending. A lot of the more competitive WvW guilds (especially Strike Force) decided to abandon SBI for a "more competitive" server. This gave other guilds a reason to leave as well, furthering the server's fall.

And that's about where things stand now.

Aww... :/

Do you think Anet has any plans of balancing this out ever?

Retro

Aww... :/

Do you think Anet has any plans of balancing this out ever?

According to Colin, SBI's population actually went up when all of these guilds were leaving, so.... /shrug. Stormbluff Isle has a really strong community, just not one that takes WvW super serious like some. There is a designated WvW Teamspeak server, you can find out more at www.stormbluffisle.com. The tone that seems to come out of their community meetings is "We like WvW, just not the bullshit it takes to be top tier, so we're fine dropping a little." For some people, that's just not an option, so they abandoned the server like rats.

Abyss was always my favorite black. No idea why people bought black instead when abyss is a truer black. Maybe slightly cheaper but still made no sense at the time. This was a several months ago when I was still active.

At the time, people didn't realize that Abyss was darker. In GW1 there was no Abyss so Black was the darkest color and thus extremely popular/expensive. Same with White. There's another color (whose name escapes me) that's actually "whiter" than White in this game. That wasn't true in GW1.

nataku

According to Colin, SBI's population actually went up when all of these guilds were leaving, so.... /shrug. Stormbluff Isle has a really strong community, just not one that takes WvW super serious like some. There is a designated WvW Teamspeak server, you can find out more at www.stormbluffisle.com. The tone that seems to come out of their community meetings is "We like WvW, just not the bullshit it takes to be top tier, so we're fine dropping a little." For some people, that's just not an option, so they abandoned the server like rats.

That's pretty rude.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
At the time, people didn't realize that Abyss was darker. In GW1 there was no Abyss so Black was the darkest color and thus extremely popular/expensive. Same with White. There's another color (whose name escapes me) that's actually "whiter" than White in this game. That wasn't true in GW1.

Celestial. It was another fav. I forget the red that was my favorite. It may have been Wrath.

etiolate

Banned
I don't see how SBI's population could have gone up with that many guilds leaving. I can see some people shifting over to WvWvW now that there was some space, but the server was previously tight full as an Asian woman pregnant with twins.

Levyne

Banned
That's one interpretation of the wvw drama. I'm not sure I suscribe to it fully, but I'm not terribly invested in wvw anyways. I think a large swath of SBI playerbase felt the same way and thats partially why many wvw guilds left

Retro

That's one interpretation of the wvw drama. I'm not sure I suscribe to it fully, but I'm not terribly invested in wvw anyways. I think a large swath of SBI playerbase felt the same way and thats partially why many wvw guilds left

I don't see it as an interpretation at all; we've been over Jang Gun's reasons for WM moving, Strike Force's departure as things started to slide, and then the mass-exodus after ANet announced free transfers were ending. Those three points are pretty much the whole story.

Pop sucks, but I tell myself they'll just merge worlds at some point post-expansion if more people don't buy the game.

For now, guesting works.

I still end up in Overflow LA during primetime and we're usually "Very High" whenever I look at the server list (though just "High" at the moment). There tend to be lulls between content pushes anyways, but whereas most MMOs have months between updates, GW2 has never gone more than a month without something. I'm sure it'll feel more like normal after the 26th.

On that note, if ArenaNet is testing the speed at which their events play out, they've gone from one-time-all-at-once during Southsun to slower-than-cold-molasses during Frost and Fire. Oh well, it's a prologue, hopefully big stuff starts to happen soon.

Get off your high horse and quit looking down on people that have a different focus in the game than you. Fucking hell, man.

You've never heard the phrase "like rats abandoning a sinking ship," have you?

It's an idiom.

Nuh Uh! YOU'RE an idiom!
JUWnj.gif

etiolate

Banned
I feel every two weeks would be a nice pace for mild events like Frost and Flame. There was an increase in activity at the start of laurels and now it's begun to slow down.

Trey

While I don't take umbrage with the phrase Retro used, I can definitely imagine someone taking the wording negatively. It does have certain implications that are rather transparent.

I feel every two weeks would be a nice pace for mild events like Frost and Flame. There was an increase in activity at the start of laurels and now it's begun to slow down.

Isn't the first possible day a person can cash in laurels for a necklace coming up? I know I'm only six away, and I missed a few dailies.

Retro

It wouldn't surprise me at all if ArenaNet started working towards updates every two weeks, especially now that January set the framework for future "Living Story" updates. I mean, when you step back and look at it, we're just now coming up on the 6-month mark. Most of the bigger issues from launch are getting cleaned up (Orr is now pretty damn good, Culling seems to be less of a problem, security and botting are in good shape), and we've had some really cool holidays.

This comment will most assuredly be taken as "PRetro" or at the very least "biased", I can't remember any other MMO delivering so much in the same amount of time, plus fixing major issues, with next to no downtime and no subscription fees.

This game is in amazing shape, hopefully we get to OT3 so I can try out a new thread title.

It may be worth it just to buy the dye outright than try and get it by chance. 10g for Black or Midnight Ice (which, on the right material, can be blacker than black...). You can copy the codes on the GW2 database and whisper them to yourself to see which you prefer.

Actually, let me do that for ya;

Black: [&AgGGTwAA]
Midnight Ice: [&AgEmUAAA]
Abyss: [&AgGETwAA]

Just /w, then your name, then paste in the code and click preview. You may have to do it multiple times to affect the dye channel you want.

BUY IT!?!

I have 4 characters, the 2 highest are a level 48 mage and a level 30 thief ... and between all my characters I'm sure I have around 1.5 gold. MAAAYBE 2.

If anything I'm hoping to stumble upon a black dye just to sell it at this point. >_>
No, really ... I would have to give it a good bit of thought if one of my dyes comes out black.

But thanks for the info!

Retro

BUY IT!?!

I have 4 characters, the 2 highest are a level 48 mage and a level 30 thief ... and between all my characters I'm sure I have around 1.5 gold. MAAAYBE 2.

If anything I'm hoping to stumble upon a black dye just to sell it at this point. >_>
No, really ... I would have to give it a good bit of thought if one of my dyes comes out black.

But thanks for the info!

Who knows, you might get a black (~10g) or Abyss (~24g) from your Laurel dyes. It's all about the RNG. I was just saying, for a sure thing... gotta buy it outright.

That said, it seems like dye prices are all over lately; Midnight Ice used to be about half the price of black, but now they're equal. Mithril (very close to white) used to be 5g+, but it was ~50s earlier this week.

Edit: Need to get your 35+ characters going on some Ghost Eater runs or something, man, 1-3g a run + tokens. CoF1 is pretty snazzy too.

Grayman

It wouldn't surprise me at all if ArenaNet started working towards updates every two weeks, especially now that January set the framework for future "Living Story" updates. I mean, when you step back and look at it, we're just now coming up on the 6-month mark. Most of the bigger issues from launch are getting cleaned up (Orr is now pretty damn good, Culling seems to be less of a problem, security and botting are in good shape), and we've had some really cool holidays.

This comment will most assuredly be taken as "PRetro" or at the very least "biased", I can't remember any other MMO delivering so much in the same amount of time, plus fixing major issues, with next to no downtime and no subscription fees.

This game is in amazing shape, hopefully we get to OT3 so I can try out a new thread title.

i do not know about the exact volume of content but asheron's call did monthly advancing storylines with new areas, enemies, and mechanics almost nonstop. I always thought it was normal but I guess for people coming from EQ those games had less frequent updates but expansion pack sized at once.

So far gw2 has done a lot of the events in faster cycles than other games may have. Are the older events still playable in some form? In AC the only stuff not left live would be when a dev controlled a character, even big bad bosses would be replaced with a slightly more killable one. For new things in GW2 i only really did some of the xmas stuff so far.

Anet can probably keep the story and event updates going for a long time.

Grayman

Who knows, you might get a black (~10g) or Abyss (~24g) from your Laurel dyes. It's all about the RNG. I was just saying, for a sure thing... gotta buy it outright.

That said, it seems like dye prices are all over lately; Midnight Ice used to be about half the price of black, but now they're equal. Mithril (very close to white) used to be 5g+, but it was ~50s earlier this week.

Edit: Need to get your 35+ characters going on some Ghost Eater runs or something, man, 1-3g a run + tokens. CoF1 is pretty snazzy too.

No wonder I am broke, i only did a dungeon once! All my friends quit in the first month and people on ehmery bay don't speak.

Katoki

Rats or not, the literal meaning is pretty harsh. I don't have the motivation to play much anymore though since I've gone somewhat overkill at 1500+ hours by mid/late January. Come at me.

I do enjoy poking around and talking builds and experiences with them nonetheless.

Hmmm, guess that would explain some things. Only been to a Dungeon once and it gave me such a headache ... I don't think my ele is good for that kinda thing. Guess I should want until my Thief is at 35 before I try again. :/

Doing Arah path 4, get to the priestess of Dwyanna (SP?). Get her down to 30% before the sparks spawn, perfect looks like maybe 1 more spawn after this one. Until our fucking thief decides to come help out with the sparks, which fucks up the aggro on them and it takes forever to get them into place thanks to this jackass. How are these people so stupid?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn, I couldn't really get on last night. I hope some fun was had :)

That's pretty rude.
Retro's kind of a tactless (and smelly) individual in general but if you take his meaning it was actually more insulting to the server itself than to the players who chose to leave. It qualifies SBI as "a sinking ship."

Regardless, all of the WvW drama will be a distant memory one day.

I'm honestly pretty happy about our performance in WvW this week. Obviously we still got beat down, but it wasn't as one-sided as the past couple of matchups and (perhaps more importantly) we currently have a higher score than the two teams we'll theoretically be matched up with when the reset happens tomorrow.

Next week would be a great time to jump in for anyone out there interested in WvW! When I can make it, I'm going to try and make Wednesdays and Saturdays my WvW nights (EST).

BUY IT!?!

But thanks for the info!
You're still pretty low level and spread thin, it's tough to accrue any significant wealth when you've still got trait books to buy for all those characters without a single 80 to earn gold for your account. You can do AC, which is great XP and gold, on those two characters, but if you're really looking into dyes you could definitely consider the 10-pack from laurels.

If you do find a black and black is one you really want, I wouldn't sell it. Gold is really actually not that hard to come by once you've got one or more "endgame" characters. It's not likely that it'll cost all that much less at that point, and you'll have been able to be black for longer of your play experience if you just use it if you find it ;)

edit: Eles are great in dungeons, don't listen to yourself. Are you on an NA server? We should try one :)

I keep seeing mixed reactions on resetting the .dat file which is keeping me from trying it. I guess I'll see how many of you guys do it and have positive experiences. Really the only problem is it takes a ridiculously long time to load up into LA when I first log-in. I should experiment with logging off in a zone and see if that loads up faster upon the next log-in.

Hawkian, it worked! I finally was able to get the controller to work! wooooo! Now I just have to endure playing terrible and slow while I get acclimated to the controls haha Probably should stick to low lvl and jumping puzzles. Those things will be easier than ever using a console controller :) Thanks, man! One question though, how do you target a specific enemy in a mob? Do you have to go into 'mouse' mode and select them? Or is there a hotkey that I'm missing?
Hehe. There's a learning curve but it'll really really start to feel natural over time. Just remember to rely on the Back button which is a reset of sorts.

Targeting: Hold RB + flick right stick left = prev target, right = next target

Complistic

I previewed both, and abyss is actually too black. It washes out detail in the armor. So I chose black over it.

Levyne

Banned
Doing Arah path 4, get to the priestess of Dwyanna (SP?). Get her down to 30% before the sparks spawn, perfect looks like maybe 1 more spawn after this one. Until our fucking thief decides to come help out with the sparks, which fucks up the aggro on them and it takes forever to get them into place thanks to this jackass. How are these people so stupid?

That boss is tough, I really think they should make the sparks objects you pick up and place. Aggro is just too random to be much other than luck, especially when the sparks can go for pets, minions, illusions, spirits..

Vossler

Passed the 30 lodestone mark last night.....70 more to go. Actually have been getting quite a few drops in CoE with respect to Charged COres, which helps, and had a corrupted lodestone drop on me in there as well. Figure I should have this wrapped up by mid-March, depending on Metal Gear Rising and Crysis 3....

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I previewed both, and abyss is actually too black. It washes out detail in the armor. So I chose black over it.
Yeah Abyss is a little more like "replace the texture of the armor piece with solid black" which can be cool too. I haven't wanted it enough to buy yet though.

This is the most awesome feature ever in a MMO. Can't wait to try it when my internet cap resets tomorrow.

Another great thing about this, is you can still do dungeons with gaffers without having to hop over back to your home server. With WwVsW you'd have to do that though.
True story: you've been able to do dungeons cross-server since the Beta. You just have to be in the same zone. Though no cross-region yet :(

Over time, ANet wants the server infrastructure to feel like less of a rigid barrier and more like it did in GW1 (when you didn't even choose a home server of any kind). If you find yourself thinking a zone is empty, don't just throw up your hands and sigh in disgrace at your server. First of all, the world is just too damn big for there to be lots of people on every zone in every server at every time. I kind of like the fact that even on a server with high populations I can find myself alone or with just a party's worth of others in a more obscure, "what are you guys even doing here?"-type area.

But try not to think of yourself as particularly restricted by your home server- with the exception of WvW- to any real practical degree anymore. Dungeons can be done with anyone, ensuring www.gw2lfg.com's usefulness. To check another instance of the open world, the guest hop takes like 10 seconds or less. Your guild(s) can hear you in guild chat no matter what server you're on. Being in an overflow regardless of world means people can right-click on you and join you in that overflow.

It's a good idea to think of yourself from now on as a transient Worldwalker, about to travel between shards at will.

Regardless of what you think of the game's fortunes based on your perceptions of the zone you're in or the server you're on at the time you're playing, here's my view of the way things are:

-There are tons of people playing this game. It has been massively successful so far. Deal with it, haters gonna hate, other clichés, yadda yadda
-Because of the lack of subscription, perceived lulls in concurrency between patches/content drops are likely to be more pronounced. You don't miss out on anything by taking breaks between these releases.
-Flame & Frost is meant to establish the architecture of Living Story releases for the future- smaller, longer-term content with varying degrees of permanence that answers the question "what's going on right now?" for ongoing players.
-This is almost in direct contrast to one-time events like the Lost Shores invasion, which are much larger-scale and shorter-term, and meant to simultaneously attract new users (that weekend even had a free trial along with it).
-If Guild Missions in this update add a solid foundation, it will be best view as yet another type of content added to the game in the first ~6.5 months of release. The quality and scope of the content additions thus far has varied dramatically, but in the bubble of internet discussion, people tend to focus on what has been added in isolation, rather than why it was added. Such that community discussion jumped quite immediately to the "need" to "grind Fractals" for Ascended gear as soon as possible when Fractals were added, while one of my first thoughts instead was, "I wonder how many Fractals there will be a year or two from now?" Instead of "is this it?" when the intro to the Flame & Frost arc was rolled out (so misleadingly named "Prelude" -_-), I started trying to figure out what the cause for the exodus might be from a lore perspective, how the areas involved might be different when the arc ends, and most importantly, what the second or sixth or eleventh Living Story release might look like. So when we're running around as a group doing whatever is included for Guild Missions in this patch, if you catch my character sort of mysteriously idling, I might not be AFK- but rather, just wondering "what does this mean?"

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Interesting, is anything currently out using UE4?

edit: I have an asura ele! They rule. Like a little ball of UNSTOPPABLE POWER

hm.. are they changing the subscription model with the relaunch?

Hehe. There's a learning curve but it'll really really start to feel natural over time. Just remember to rely on the Back button which is a reset of sorts.

Targeting: Hold RB + flick right stick left = prev target, right = next target

The actual game play felt natural almost immediately, it's using the menu's and the map that's taking longer. I think I got the map down by the time I got off, getting better with menus but probably still learning to do it faster with more efficiency. Was there a hotkey button to jump right to the chat bar? I want to say "/" allows you to reply to someone but I don't recall if there's one to strike up an initial comment. Thanks for the response on changing targets. Oh, another question, what are the controls for the downed state? Is it 1-4? or 7-9 controls? I thought I tried using 2 (Y) and it didn't do anything but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

I'm rocking the Abyss dye and love it. I'm an Ele so I imagine robes not having much detail to lose versus heavy armor. Dash in a little red and you have yourself a Sith Lord! I love my Sith Lord.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The actual game play felt natural almost immediately, it's using the menu's and the map that's taking longer. I think I got the map down by the time I got off, getting better with menus but probably still learning to do it faster with more efficiency. Was there a hotkey button to jump right to the chat bar? I want to say "/" allows you to reply to someone but I don't recall if there's one to strike up an initial comment. Thanks for the response on changing targets. Oh, another question, what are the controls for the downed state? Is it 1-4? or 7-9 controls? I thought I tried using 2 (Y) and it didn't do anything but maybe I'm remembering wrong.
No hotkey to activate the chat bar but since you have to use the keyboard to chat anyway- enter on the keyboard does this from wherever you are. Start allows you to get out of it/back to gameplay.

Downed state is indeed 1-4. So LB is always your "reach for life!" move. Not sure why 2 didn't work... maybe it was still just barely on cooldown?

Give it a shot in a controlled environment (let something down you in the open world).

No hotkey to activate the chat bar but since you have to use the keyboard to chat anyway- enter on the keyboard does this from wherever you are. Start allows you to get out of it/back to gameplay.

Downed state is indeed 1-4. So LB is always your "reach for life!" move. Not sure why 2 didn't work... maybe it was still just barely on cooldown?

Give it a shot in a controlled environment (let something down you in the open world).

Oh, didn't know you could just hit enter, will try that.

Thinking back, I believe it occurred when I had map issues. I had just wiped out all the trolls in the cave near Genderrans Field to LA and brought up the map to figure out where I wanted to go next and then something happened where I couldn't get out of map and it was making me attack instead of doing stuff with the map and apparently I hit the respawned veteran troll while still in map mode haha I hastily tried to get out of it and by the time I figured it out, I was downed but I think I must have still been in pointer mode or something and that's why my downed command didn't work. I was frantic and spamming buttons by that point haha Now I have the map down, I think so shouldn't ever encounter that situation again.

I tried out a jumping puzzle right before I got off and was surprised, it seems it's actually a lot harder. You don't quite run perfectly straight which throws things off a little bit. I was running up a beam and it was veering me to the edge of it whereas with the mouse, I can run perfectly straight. Not sure if there's a trick to it or I just have to account for that and learn to run on delicate structures and do jumps with the controller better.

I wish dyes were account wide...
Me too, man. I doubt I'll get lucky enough to get an Abyss drop again and it would look bad ass on a W if I ever make one. That seems like the type of thing they would make account wide. I wonder if they'll ever consider making it so?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I tried out a jumping puzzle right before I got off and was surprised, it seems it's actually a lot harder. You don't quite run perfectly straight which throws things off a little bit. I was running up a beam and it was veering me to the edge of it whereas with the mouse, I can run perfectly straight. Not sure if there's a trick to it or I just have to account for that and learn to run on delicate structures and do jumps with the controller better.
Uh oh, that actually doesn't sound quite right.

When you hold up on the left stick, it's literally just hitting the W key. It can't not be perfectly straight unless you move the camera. It sounds a little like your right stick dead zone is off a little bit- like it's moving the camera very slightly when you're idle. :( Try taking the battery out of the controller, closing and reopening Xpadder, and turning the controller back on, and see if it has any effect.

I wish dyes were account wide...

Me too :(

Oh and I'm having a hard time wiring my muscle memory for this game. I have QEWS for movement. AS controls the camera left and right. Tab is weapon switching. R is the about-face button. 1,2,3 are the first 3 weapon skills. I then have 6-7 mouse buttons I use for the remaining weapon skills, utility skills and healing skills. ` is my epic skill.

I'm left without a good button for targeting. I mostly just click on enemies but that can be a disaster. The game sometimes has me launch off in random directions when I use Sword 2, or Greatsword 5.

Should I even use AS to control the camera, or should I just leave camera control to clicking/dragging with my mouse?

I'm somewhat tempted to try the controller, but I've had a bad experience with XPadder back before I got a 360 controller. It never seemed to work with my PS3 controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom