• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

1-5 are my weapon skills, my heal is on a mousebutton my thumb rests upon, ERT are my utility skills, and 0 is my elite.

I target with tab/Q and swap weapons with `.

Concept17

So what are the chances we get free transfers again anytime soon? Want to transfer to Stormbluff from a EU server which is doubly expensive. Worse I need at least 3 others to transfer as well. :(

Damn my other friend for talking us onto his EU server.

Me too :(

Oh and I'm having a hard time wiring my muscle memory for this game. I have QEWS for movement. AS controls the camera left and right. Tab is weapon switching. R is the about-face button. 1,2,3 are the first 3 weapon skills. I then have 6-7 mouse buttons I use for the remaining weapon skills, utility skills and healing skills. ` is my epic skill.

I'm left without a good button for targeting. I mostly just click on enemies but that can be a disaster. The game sometimes has me launch off in random directions when I use Sword 2, or Greatsword 5.

Should I even use AS to control the camera, or should I just leave camera control to clicking/dragging with my mouse?

I'm somewhat tempted to try the controller, but I've had a bad experience with XPadder back before I got a 360 controller. It never seemed to work with my PS3 controller.

This. It'll speed up your reaction time when flanking/being flanked as well as freeing up to hotkeys. It can be a little funky to get used to when platforming (jumping puzzles) but once you get it down it makes that easier as well imo.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm somewhat tempted to try the controller, but I've had a bad experience with XPadder back before I got a 360 controller. It never seemed to work with my PS3 controller.
Try it try it try it!

So what are the chances we get free transfers again anytime soon? Want to transfer to Stormbluff from a EU server which is doubly expensive. Worse I need at least 3 others to transfer as well. :(

Damn my other friend for talking us onto his EU server.
Zero chance on free transfers. How many gems is it for you to transfer to SBI?

Try it try it try it!

Mind linking me to the setup guide Hawky?

I also need to work on dodging stuff. I find myself getting wrecked because I just dodge 2 seconds too late. Also some enemies don't have an attacking animation that's very clear. :/

edit: I realize like... 90% of my posts in this thread have had some complaint about the game. I still like the game I swear!

You're still pretty low level and spread thin, it's tough to accrue any significant wealth when you've still got trait books to buy for all those characters without a single 80 to earn gold for your account. You can do AC, which is great XP and gold, on those two characters, but if you're really looking into dyes you could definitely consider the 10-pack from laurels.

If you do find a black and black is one you really want, I wouldn't sell it. Gold is really actually not that hard to come by once you've got one or more "endgame" characters. It's not likely that it'll cost all that much less at that point, and you'll have been able to be black for longer of your play experience if you just use it if you find it ;)

edit: Eles are great in dungeons, don't listen to yourself. Are you on an NA server? We should try one :)

Thanks for the suggestions and offer!
Yeah, I'm on Anvil Rock. I think part of my problem with my Ele is that IDK how to spec her for stronger areas. Right now I just cycle events in a level 11 area for exp with all her points in air/ fire and arcade magic :/

Yeah, I'm on Anvil Rock. I think part of my problem with my Ele is that IDK how to spec her for stronger areas. Right now I just cycle events in a level 11 area for exp with all her points in air/ fire and arcade magic :/

With the exception of Japan, nobody really cares about arcade magic anymore. The quarter costs for equivalent exchange were just too high.

Uh oh, that actually doesn't sound quite right.

When you hold up on the left stick, it's literally just hitting the W key. It can't not be perfectly straight unless you move the camera. It sounds a little like your right stick dead zone is off a little bit- like it's moving the camera very slightly when you're idle. :( Try taking the battery out of the controller, closing and reopening Xpadder, and turning the controller back on, and see if it has any effect.
Good to know, at least it can be fixed. I'll see if I can correct it when I get on next. Oh, one other thing I thought of, is there a way too activate a salvage kit and then scroll up or down in the inventory menu? If I select to salvage, it doesn't let me use the scroll bar with out cancelling out the salvage command. Right now I just have my salvage kit in a middle container where I can see most of the loot I pickup without scrolling. Hopefully that made sense.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Mind linking me to the setup guide Hawky?

I also need to work on dodging stuff. I find myself getting wrecked because I just dodge 2 seconds too late. Also some enemies don't have an attacking animation that's very clear. :/

edit: I realize like... 90% of my posts in this thread have had some complaint about the game. I still like the game I swear!
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwgV6PdDgkbBTVlxMW45Z3JQd0U/edit?usp=sharing

File->Download

Just let me know if you have any issues.
Black-Wind said:
Right now I just cycle events in a level 11 area for exp with all her points in air/ fire and arcade magic :/
Oh no, what? That sounds... awful. At level 40-something you said? O.O

Air/fire/arcane is a fine spec, but you're not only using your air and fire spells, right?
Oh, one other thing I thought of, is there a way too activate a salvage kit and then scroll up or down in the inventory menu? If I select to salvage, it doesn't let me use the scroll bar with out cancelling out the salvage command. Right now I just have my salvage kit in a middle container where I can see most of the loot I pickup without scrolling. Hopefully that made sense.
Uhhhhhhh, no. I mean, you can hold RB and flick the right stick to scroll your inventory up and down, but not while also having Back held, which you'd need to to double-click the salvage kit...

I'm going to be honest with you, I'm never even noticed this. I guess I very rarely have to scroll my inventory in the first place. Remember you can hide entire bags by clicking on the name of the bag. Mind me asking what resolution you're playing at?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So like, I just download it and then plug in my Xbawks controller and play? I assume I download it into the GW2 folder?
I wish! It's not complicated, but there are instructions included to follow.

It doesn't matter what folder you put it in. Xpadder and AutoHotKey do all the heavy lifting, and you can run them from anywhere. I do keep mind in my GW2 folder though.

Basically the installation is just opening the AHK script, opening Xpadder and loading the profile, and doing a small number of keybinds in the in-game settings (nothing that will mess with your existing controls).

After that, if you put the AHK script and Xpadder in your windows startup you'll never have to think about it again.

You can either go the glass cannon route, or you can go with a bunker build. Do you care more about extremely high attack power? or would you rather have higher survivability? These are the main questions you need to ask yourself before choosing a build. I didn't know about the d/d bunker build until just recently and now Anet plans on nerfing it so I've been using a glass canon build with the opinion that Ele's have low hp and armor for a reason, best to embrace their aptitude for high damage. I felt that a healthy focus on condition damage was the way to go since you can easily cause burning with fire and bleeding with earth. So I went with Rampager gear (Power, Precision, Condition Damage) and spec'd to Fire, Earth, and Arcane magic. Arcane to be able to jump between elements quickly and a few perks like expanding the range of my aoe attacks with the staff (I use staff, exclusively). Fire 2 is a great attack that you can spam often so increased range is great and who doesn't like a massive field to drop Meteor Shower in? A larger range to drop Healing Rain on your allies? etc. I'd have to look at the trait tree but I know I focused on traits that increased the damage or time burning and bleeding cause. That's just what I did and there are many different effective builds you can choose.

Also, for you new Ele's, let me highly recommend the conjure frost bow skill as a utility! You may have had people ask you to bring it for burrows in AC runs, but it's fantastic against virtually every enemy in the game. Having another mass aoe attack is fantastic and you can leave the spare bow next to yourself so you can do the ice bow 4 and then whatever other ice bow skills you fancy (2 is a good one) then drop the bow, rain down a meteor shower, then pick up the spare bow to do another ice bow 4. That's 3 massive aoe attacks in 10 seconds or so! The ice bow 2 is a rapid arrow attack like you see many rangers use and it's great against single targets. Great skill to have, buy it!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
^Ice bow came in very handy during an AC marathon this morning.

If you see one on the ground btw no matter who you are, pick it up and use the 4 attack :p

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Mount Maelstorm is a really incredible zone. Love the meta-events, design and flow of the zone, it feels incredibly big too. If the expansion adds nothing but MM-quality zones, I'll be extremely happy. Anyway, just hit 68! fun times.

Uhhhhhhh, no. I mean, you can hold RB and flick the right stick to scroll your inventory up and down, but not while also having Back held, which you'd need to to double-click the salvage kit...

I'm going to be honest with you, I'm never even noticed this. I guess I very rarely have to scroll my inventory in the first place. Remember you can hide entire bags by clicking on the name of the bag. Mind me asking what resolution you're playing at?

I actually double click RB to activate salvage...wait, are you saying I can just hold the back button and do pointer commands while still in camera mode? Somehow I didn't interpret that right, I was thinking that was just an alternative method to using R3. Derp. Man, that's going to be useful! Doesn't fix this particular issue though. I suppose I can hide bags and do one at a time. I should be at 1920 x 1080

Mount Maelstorm is a really incredible zone. Love the meta-events, design and flow of the zone, it feels incredibly big too. If the expansion adds nothing but MM-quality zones, I'll be extremely happy. Anyway, just hit 68! fun times.

That very well may be my favorite designed zone. I love the concept of a zone that's basically two completely different zones in one. Harkens back to Banjo Tooie's Hailfire Peaks! Love it :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I actually double click RB to activate salvage...wait, are you saying I can just hold the back button and do pointer commands while still in camera mode? Somehow I didn't interpret that right, I was thinking that was just an alternative method to using R3. Derp. Man, that's going to be useful! Doesn't fix this particular issue though. I suppose I can hide bags and do one at a time. I should be at 1920 x 1080p
Yes. The R3 click is deprecated. It's there only for very specific times. Get used to holding back.

Can't you just resize your inventory window so the whole thing is on your screen? I can do that at 1080p without even hiding any bags actually. If I hide my first two (which are filled with things I absolutely never want to salvage) I had twice as much room as necessary.

edit: Mount maelstrom is my favorite zone. :D

With the exception of Japan, nobody really cares about arcade magic anymore. The quarter costs for equivalent exchange were just too high.
What?!?
From what I heard/ read it's basically the most important area to at least put in enough points so that you can change elements faster.

Oh no, what? That sounds... awful. At level 40-something you said? O.O

Air/fire/arcane is a fine spec, but you're not only using your air and fire spells, right?
I think she's level 49 now ... and yeeeaaah, I pretty much stay with fire and sometimes air. I mainly only specced air for the speed boost when running around so that I could actually go into an enemy area and get out without falling. I only use staff and I'm not too happy with the earth staff attacks and water is just for a healing burst.
LOVED the D/D attacks for pretty much all elements but that means you have to get up close and ... things get kinda bad when she's up close against more than one enemy.

You can either go the glass cannon route, or you can go with a bunker build. Do you care more about extremely high attack power? or would you rather have higher survivability? These are the main questions you need to ask yourself before choosing a build. I didn't know about the d/d bunker build until just recently and now Anet plans on nerfing it so I've been using a glass canon build with the opinion that Ele's have low hp and armor for a reason, best to embrace their aptitude for high damage. I felt that a healthy focus on condition damage was the way to go since you can easily cause burning with fire and bleeding with earth. So I went with Rampager gear (Power, Precision, Condition Damage) and spec'd to Fire, Earth, and Arcane magic. Arcane to be able to jump between elements quickly and a few perks like expanding the range of my aoe attacks with the staff (I use staff, exclusively). Fire 2 is a great attack that you can spam often so increased range is great and who doesn't like a massive field to drop Meteor Shower in? A larger range to drop Healing Rain on your allies? etc. I'd have to look at the trait tree but I know I focused on traits that increased the damage or time burning and bleeding cause. That's just what I did and there are many different effective builds you can choose.

Also, for you new Ele's, let me highly recommend the conjure frost bow skill as a utility! You may have had people ask you to bring it for burrows in AC runs, but it's fantastic against virtually every enemy in the game. Having another mass aoe attack is fantastic and you can leave the spare bow next to yourself so you can do the ice bow 4 and then whatever other ice bow skills you fancy (2 is a good one) then drop the bow, rain down a meteor shower, then pick up the spare bow to do another ice bow 4. That's 3 massive aoe attacks in 10 seconds or so! The ice bow 2 is a rapid arrow attack like you see many rangers use and it's great against single targets. Great skill to have, buy it!
IDK, I think my hardships getting to this level have made me bias towards going glass cannon.
It just took sooo long to get to a point where I could kill more than one thing close to my level without help. I use to run with a higher level friend who has a mesmer when I started playing and it was great for the simple fact that I had someone that could take the attention away from me. But she didn't have the time to keep playing so I had to go solo ... and pretty much pull enemies one at a time until I was in my 30s. (Those 20s and teens are horrible as a lone ele :[. Had a much easier time with my Thief and that one temp engineer I made ... and my level 16 ranger )

So yeah, I pretty much focus on power but I haven't really ever tried anything else.

Katoki

IDK, I think my hardships getting to this level have made me bias towards going glass cannon.

If its anything I've learned, play with a more durable set up and then make your way back down to glass cannon.

As you feel more comfortable, start replacing pieces (a piece or two) with whatever glass cannon stats you're after and play it like that for a day or two. Repeat as necessary until you're happy with your output. Eventually you'll get used to the class with a durable set up and also learn where you need to do this or that to compensate. I only say this coming from a thief so YMMV, but I died A LOT back in September/October. I eventually stopped playing it for a mesmer, then picked it back up full time in January and have been learning new things. I'm full glass cannon minus the chest and gloves (For gear stat allocation reference since chest gives a nice chunk) and don't die unless I do something really stupid or fall asleep while playing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think she's level 49 now ... and yeeeaaah, I pretty much stay with fire and sometimes air. I mainly only specced air for the speed boost when running around so that I could actually go into an enemy area and get out without falling. I only use staff and I'm not too happy with the earth staff attacks and water is just for a healing burst.
LOVED the D/D attacks for pretty much all elements but that means you have to get up close and ... things get kinda bad when she's up close against more than one enemy.
I'm not a staff master (I actually go S/D, despite it's unpopularity), but I think that regardless of your weapon choice, using all four elements is pretty crucial to survive. Hopefully some staff veterans will have specific combo advice for you...

Which utilities are you using? Since you're speccing into arcane a lot, Arcane Wave is extraordinarily good (bigger-than-it-seems AOE, guaranteed crit, blast finisher).

edit: And if you really only specced into air for that reason, there's a signet that beats the crap out of the trait- maybe you want to rethink your build. :) I thought you were all about the lightning dmg.

Katoki

I'm not sure what people are doing to make their waypoint costs so bad. This would be understandable without our portal to and out of The Mists, but I don't see most people choosing to port from one extreme of the world to the other only to go back all of a sudden out of boredom. A dungeon a day also dampens the costs by a lot, but it's not like most people port for every little thing... right? I personally never have to take money out of my bank for travelling with a dungeon run once every so many days.

My perspective cannot see it, so financially challenged people, please enlighten me.

Retro

I'm not sure what people are doing to make their waypoint costs so bad. This would be understandable without our portal to and out of The Mists, but I don't see most people choosing to port from one extreme of the world to the other only to go back all of a sudden out of boredom. A dungeon a day also dampens the costs by a lot, but it's not like most people port for every little thing... right? I personally never have to take money out of my bank for travelling with a dungeon run once every so many days.

My perspective cannot see it, so financially challenged people, please enlighten me.

Katoki doesn't care about the 99%.

Katoki

Katoki doesn't care about the 99%.

I don't know what the 99% does that makes porting so expensive. When I see a 4s78c port, it's one of those that I'm doing it because it's faster than going through The Mists and then a city portal before going there. Its one of those things I do for times like that, not when I'm not in a rush.

Unless this is a case of:
  • Pull up to gas station with nearly no gas
  • Walk into store and buy gas station junk
  • Request for a phone to call tow truck

Retro

I was just trying to make a crack about you not understanding the plight of the common man. I don't do any sort of long-distance way-pointing unless it's to COF or COE and I need to get there before it becomes contested. Otherwise, it's Mists > LA > nearest capitol for me.

Edit: Hawkian does care if 47% of the people won't vote for him.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I was just trying to make a crack about you not understanding the plight of the common man. I don't do any sort of long-distance way-pointing unless it's to COF or COE and I need to get there before it becomes contested. Otherwise, it's Mists > LA > nearest capitol for me.
Hell yeah! As long as you're not in a rush, you're bound to see something cool on the way.

edit: Some of these people out there, they cling to their scepters or their worship of Kormir, or their anti-Canthan sentiments...

Katoki

Edit: Hawkian does care if 47% of the people won't vote for him.

But I really don't. Is it that they're common because they're port-happy?

Trey

I used to do the discount Mist detour to far waypoints, but when I realized I would be willing to pay money to not sit through three extra loading screens, I just went direct.

Retro

But I really don't. Is it that they're common because they're port-happy?

I think if anyone has problems with waypoint travel, it's because they don't know the Mists trick.

The fact that ArenaNet is putting this in makes me wonder if they're taking that out... hmm

Katoki

I think if anyone has problems with waypoint travel, it's because they don't know the Mists trick.

The fact that ArenaNet is putting this in makes me wonder if they're taking that out... hmm

I guess it's understandable if they don't use The Mists and have been 80 for a while doing who knows what that doesn't include dungeons. Unfortunately at this point, my concern would be their money management skills over the cost of the ports. The only way to have fun in this game is to use every last copper you have and all that. On the other hand, because it's a game, I suppose you shouldn't have to ration your money as much to be able to do what you want while "having fun."

Complistic

I'm only level 25 or so so far, are way points that expensive at 80? I'm already pissed about the lack of mounts.

I think the base cost, as in to go anywhere, no matter the distance is like 2 silver at level 80.

That said, It's still not really significant. The only time it annoys me is when I have to go Orr because that's usually an 8 silver round trip.

Proven

I make at least 1 gold a day. Doing whatever you want as long as it leads to either loot or events should give you 1 gold after an hour or two of gameplay at the very longest. People are just cheapskates.

If its anything I've learned, play with a more durable set up and then make your way back down to glass cannon.

As you feel more comfortable, start replacing pieces (a piece or two) with whatever glass cannon stats you're after and play it like that for a day or two. Repeat as necessary until you're happy with your output. Eventually you'll get used to the class with a durable set up and also learn where you need to do this or that to compensate. I only say this coming from a thief so YMMV, but I died A LOT back in September/October. I eventually stopped playing it for a mesmer, then picked it back up full time in January and have been learning new things. I'm full glass cannon minus the chest and gloves (For gear stat allocation reference since chest gives a nice chunk) and don't die unless I do something really stupid or fall asleep while playing.

Interesting ... never really thought about mixing up armor. I normally just go for the armor with the most Def and w/e stats catch my eye. I pretty much rely completely on drops for my armor ... never buy any. Really want to get some culture sets though so that's part of why I try to save up my cash :/

I'm not a staff master (I actually go S/D, despite it's unpopularity), but I think that regardless of your weapon choice, using all four elements is pretty crucial to survive. Hopefully some staff veterans will have specific combo advice for you...

Which utilities are you using? Since you're speccing into arcane a lot, Arcane Wave is extraordinarily good (bigger-than-it-seems AOE, guaranteed crit, blast finisher).

edit: And if you really only specced into air for that reason, there's a signet that beats the crap out of the trait- maybe you want to rethink your build. :) I thought you were all about the lightning dmg.

Yeah, I know i should use them all more often. Tried doing that today and it's not as annoying as I thought it would be.

And since I use the staff the chain attack is really good at being a problem maker if you're not trying to aggro all the wild life. I have been put down more than once because I got something in my chain that wasn't apart of the mob I was attacking.

As for utilities up until recently I used the plant turret (lol) but mostly I have 2 there just for summoning elementals, the ghosting one and one where I use for summoning weapons (experimenting with the hammer and Ice bow).

I think the base cost, as in to go anywhere, no matter the distance is like 2 silver at level 80.

That said, It's still not really significant. The only time it annoys me is when I have to go Orr because that's usually an 8 silver round trip.

Wait wait whhhhhhhhhhhat?

Waypoint costs go up with level? The fucccck... :(

Why are there no mounts.

I make at least 1 gold a day. Doing whatever you want as long as it leads to either loot or events should give you 1 gold after an hour or two of gameplay at the very longest. People are just cheapskates.

And I'm only making a few silver at level 12...

Proven

Like Trey said, you make a lot more money at higher levels. Unless you spend all your cash constantly buying new armor/weapons/accessories off the trading post for WvW you should easily have the 1 gold for the Master trait book at level 40 and 2 gold for the Grandmaster book at level 60. And on the off chance you don't have enough, you don't need the trait books right away, and a day or two in dungeons will sort out that problem.

Wait wait whhhhhhhhhhhat?

Waypoint costs go up with level? The fucccck... :(

Why are there no mounts.

And I'm only making a few silver at level 12...

They go up primarily with distance traveled but yes they do incrementally increase as you level. Though so do your rewards for filling out event hearts and doing dynamic events. You'll be fine so long as you don't waypoint constantly.

What's the easiest way to get Jute? I have a huge Jute shortage which is hindering my armorcrafting ability. I'm kind of wondering if there is a point in taking that craft skill. I can't really make good armor yet, and it is a pain in the ass to level.

Trey

What's the easiest way to get Jute? I have a huge Jute shortage which is hindering my armorcrafting ability. I'm kind of wondering if there is a point in taking that craft skill. I can't really make good armor yet, and it is a pain in the ass to level.

Buy it. Or salvage light armor.

Humanoid enemies. Bandits, Thugs, I think even Centaurs, should all drop it. Whichever mob you choose, try to find a group that drops bags as well as just the mats.

Buy it. Or salvage light armor.

He's level 12. Buying jute to level his crafting will bankrupt him.

Lunar15

Ha, I was just posting that because I found it interesting. Honestly I do the Mists>LA>Capital thing.

To newcomers: Money definitely seems hard at first, but once you get into the swing of things, you can make a solid 2-5 gold a day without TOO much effort. I never thought I'd save up the 100g necessary to buy my T3, but it really didn't take that long, all things considered. I didn't even use alts or any of the other weird ways people make money. I just did the things I wanted to and had a lot of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom