• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

What's the easiest way to get Jute? I have a huge Jute shortage which is hindering my armorcrafting ability. I'm kind of wondering if there is a point in taking that craft skill. I can't really make good armor yet, and it is a pain in the ass to level.

Wait. Just wait, and salvage more often. It goes towards your monthly anyway, and you won't need much money in the low levels so you can getaway with selling a little less.

etiolate

Banned
from the mmorpg interview with Colin:

MMORPG: Let’s talk about the Guild Missions now, as I know my own guild is going to be stoked about them. Can you give us some examples of how they’ll work, and what they’ll be about?
COLIN: The guild mission system is a really exciting advancement of our event system, and for guilds worldwide. The system allows people in a guild to work together to unlock guild upgrades that allow them to go on missions together. These missions can be kicked off by the specific guild that has researched that mission, but once they are activated, anyone can jump in and participate to help the guild finish the mission if they wish. The missions are designed such that some components of the mission can only be completed by the guild themselves, but each of them has aspects other players can assist with as well, so everyone has something they can do during the mission.

MMORPG: What sort of rewards can guilds obtain by completing them?
COLIN: There are a number of new rewards available from this system, from items specifically for players who complete the missions to rewards and upgrades for the guild itself. Guilds have a lot of new unlocks and really great bonuses they can purchase as a result of completing these missions. For example, you can purchase cheaper waypoint costs for your entire guild while the bonus is active.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/...ebruarys-Flame-and-Frost-Update-Detailed.html

I'm not sure what people are doing to make their waypoint costs so bad. This would be understandable without our portal to and out of The Mists, but I don't see most people choosing to port from one extreme of the world to the other only to go back all of a sudden out of boredom. A dungeon a day also dampens the costs by a lot, but it's not like most people port for every little thing... right? I personally never have to take money out of my bank for travelling with a dungeon run once every so many days.

My perspective cannot see it, so financially challenged people, please enlighten me.

I don't use The Mists and I travel around a bit, it usually costs me around 6 - 10 silver or so a day. That really doesn't bother me though since in that time I'll make 10 to 15 times that much. I also refuse to actively partake in money management for the most part. My goal with the game is to kill as much shit as possible with my Charr warrior as I can. I have more fun being a bringer of death than I do an accountant.

Humanoid enemies. Bandits, Thugs, I think even Centaurs, should all drop it. Whichever mob you choose, try to find a group that drops bags as well as just the mats.

I knew I was doing something right going to Queensdale. :)

Also I had no idea I could salvage armors... Any light armor gives me Jute?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I knew I was doing something right going to Queensdale. :)

Also I had no idea I could salvage armors... Any light armor gives me Jute?
Yes, literally any. And you can get more than one scrap per armor. The better salvage kit you use, the better chance you have of multiple pieces.

You can also get jute from salvaging:
Shredded Garment (trophy)
Shredded Rag (trophy)
Worn Garment (trophy)
Worn Rag

It can salvage into a couple other materials too (cotton, for example) but if literally all you want is jute, sell every single mat besides jute you salvage on the TP.

Now I understand why you said you were unable to farm it...

Also, I was really confused when you asked "Why would something that salvages into jute cost less than jute?" in Guild Chat. I thought maybe you were kidding- sorry I didn't respond in-game.

Sooo:
Jute scraps sell for 20-25c
Plenty of light armor pieces available for 30-50c
Shredded garments are ~30c

1. Items can salvage into more than one scrap of Jute
2. The other non-jute materials you salvage can be sold back to the TP

edit: Finally, these are the "mat bags" you can find jute within (i.e.: what Jest meant when he said "whichever you choose...")
Bag of Pinched Goods
Bag of Testing Materials
Tiny Bag of Stolen Goods
Tiny Ritual Bag
Tiny Supply Bag

If you get any of those, make sure to open them up.

Shambles

Spend last night running a couple dungeons with the wife, brother in law and sister in law and things feel a lot better than they did the last time I ran one back in December or so. Granted we're all level 80 now but with the patch changes it no longer feels like sticking my hand in a blender. Have only been doing story modes as I'm doing completion for the monthly and also because I have not done most of the dungeons before. The rewards are still pretty useless from the dungeon but the experience is entertaining enough. Between the two dungeons I got a single rare item that I salvaged for the ecto. I have a magic find set that I put on before opening chests but I'm not sure if that really does all that much. There's just enough problem solving where I may die a few times but it's not party wipe after party wipe. I'll probably do another one or two this weekend as well. Perhaps if others are looking to do their monthly I can guest over from Darkhaven.

Levyne

Banned
Chests are not affected by magic find, so just put on your best armor and rock the dungeon mobs!

Even if you don't get cores/rares/exotics from dungeon chests, there are always 2-4 boss monsters that drop a fair amount of silver, plus the silver for the completion, plus you can turn tokens into ecto easily for higher level dungeons, for lower level ones you can just stack up on tokens and exchange for the max exotics to gear out your characters. (Less "ecto" opportunity cost for the lower dungeons whose rares can't salvage into ecto).

So yeah, dungeons are good!

I must really like this game because when I went to bed yesterday I had a dream where I equipped my old Guardian in +Magic Find armor, and it looked pretty damn awesome and then I found some cool stuff with it.

LkPr

Anyone else feel like they wish Anet would come out with a way to change your characters race? LOL. I have a lvl 80 Sylvari ranger and I am now trying to work towards 'end-game gear' but I can't choose which set I like, mainly because I no longer like the sylvari "look". I don't want to make a new ranger just to change the race bu if I put the time in grinding out the gear I want to make sure I like it :s

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Spend last night running a couple dungeons with the wife, brother in law and sister in law and things feel a lot better than they did the last time I ran one back in December or so. Granted we're all level 80 now but with the patch changes it no longer feels like sticking my hand in a blender. Have only been doing story modes as I'm doing completion for the monthly and also because I have not done most of the dungeons before. The rewards are still pretty useless from the dungeon but the experience is entertaining enough. Between the two dungeons I got a single rare item that I salvaged for the ecto. I have a magic find set that I put on before opening chests but I'm not sure if that really does all that much. There's just enough problem solving where I may die a few times but it's not party wipe after party wipe. I'll probably do another one or two this weekend as well. Perhaps if others are looking to do their monthly I can guest over from Darkhaven.
Dungeons aren't a great source of loot- as in rares and exotics. Dungeons are an amazing source of gold (story and explorable), and the tokens (explorable) are among the best ways to zero in on the exact gear you want stat-wise, or obtain cool-looking skins. Tokens can even be essentially converted into gold as mentioned.

All in all, regularly doing dungeons is a really great way to earn overall wealth and status at max level.

By the way, you don't even have to guest to do dungeons. They work cross-server.

edit: Buy and Eat Raspberry Peach Bars at the start of a dungeon

I must really like this game because when I went to bed yesterday I had a dream where I equipped my old Guardian in +Magic Find armor, and it looked pretty damn awesome and then I found some cool stuff with it.
Sounds like you were listening to Ash in guild chat...

Trey

Anyone else feel like they wish Anet would come out with a way to change your characters race? LOL. I have a lvl 80 Sylvari ranger and I am now trying to work towards 'end-game gear' but I can't choose which set I like, mainly because I no longer like the sylvari "look". I don't want to make a new ranger just to change the race bu if I put the time in grinding out the gear I want to make sure I like it :s

Would definitely solve my alt problem. I'm currently scheming how I can get 8 max level toons.

Retro

Have only been doing story modes as I'm doing completion for the monthly and also because I have not done most of the dungeons before. The rewards are still pretty useless from the dungeon but the experience is entertaining enough.

The rewards are a little better for Exploration mode, and the Exp. dungeons tend to be easier (and run more often, so you're more likely to find a group that knows the ropes) for the most part (I know AC Story is still a bigger pain than any of the 3 exp modes). The big thing is dungeon tokens, which can be turned in for exotics in LA;. you can either bling your geezer well up or turn them into ectos.

That's how you know the game has its claws in you. Welcome to the club.

Gender changes are in, name changes are 'coming', but I think you may be waiting a while, if not forever, for race changes. I think a big part of it has to do with the personal storyline and cultural armor; they probably don't want someone rolling one race, getting all the cultural armor, then switching to another race. I think some of that stuff is designed specifically for that race alone and probably doesn't have any alternative race versions.

But who knows, it may happen... I just wouldn't hold my breath.

On the plus side, you won't be the first person to have blown up a high level character. I've done one at 66, Kanik blew up an 80 Human Warrior to make a Norn instead.

If any officers happen to get on today, could I get an invite? (been trying to /w but no luck so far)

siov.1467

Invite sent, welcome to GAFGuild. If there aren't any officers on (and some of the officers listed in the first post have left, thanks again for making the OT, Techno) you can always send them an in-game mail and they will get to it ASAP.

Hmmmm. Now do I swap out weaponsmithing to level up chef on my main character, or use a second character as a chef? So much to do in this game, so little time.

Before I answer your question, I am required by law to inform you that I am a registered altaholic.

Roll a Second character.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If any officers happen to get on today, could I get an invite? (been trying to /w but no luck so far)

siov.1467
I came back on for like 20 minutes! :(

Hmmmm. Now do I swap out weaponsmithing to level up chef on my main character, or use a second character as a chef? So much to do in this game, so little time.
They're cheap on the TP. I would not switch professions over it :p

edit: No way is AC Story tougher than the Colossus run, especially with the nerfed lovers. In the grand scheme of things, both are quite easy and fun though. With a good group, AC Story is actually a deceptively amazing source of silver. All three champs + Adelbern have silver drops, plus the 26 for completion.

edit again: Race changes pratically can't happen, sorry :'( None of storyline paths, skill allotments or anything like that decided on character creation have to do with your name or gender- but lots rely on your race selection. Your "My Story" tab would be inexplicable after a race change.

Retro

No way is AC Story tougher than the Colossus run, especially with the nerfed lovers. In the grand scheme of things, both are quite easy and fun though. With a good group, AC Story is actually a deceptively amazing source of silver. All three champs + Adelbern have silver drops, plus the 26 for completion.

The lovers mechanic can still be pretty brutal if you're just starting dungeons though, Adelbern can be a pain if you're not ready for his constant pulls and near-instant death fire fields.

Colossus does suck though. Been so long since I ran him or Howling King that last night when we did AC I couldn't remember which path was worse. Luckily, we did HK and things went smoothly.

Side note: I love that the entry-level dungeon for GW2 has a boss with mechanics similar to a raid boss encounter in pre-Wrathbaby WoW.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The lovers mechanic can still be pretty brutal if you're just starting dungeons though, Adelbern can be a pain if you're not ready for his constant pulls and near-instant death fire fields.

Colossus does suck though. Been so long since I ran him or Howling King that last night when we did AC I couldn't remember which path was worse. Luckily, we did HK and things went smoothly.

Side note: I love that the entry-level dungeon for GW2 has a boss with mechanics similar to a raid boss encounter in pre-Wrathbaby WoW.

The run up to Colossus (defend the essence collectors) and the boss itself are much harder than HK. If you have an elementalist with you, I'd say HK is actually roughly on par with GE in difficulty and possibly easier with the exception of the boss itself; just a liiiittle longer because of the potential to screw up during the first try of the "collect scepter pieces" room.

Colossus is my favorite of the three runs though, cause you get ta be a ghost.

Katoki

I don't use The Mists and I travel around a bit, it usually costs me around 6 - 10 silver or so a day. That really doesn't bother me though since in that time I'll make 10 to 15 times that much. I also refuse to actively partake in money management for the most part. My goal with the game is to kill as much shit as possible with my Charr warrior as I can. I have more fun being a bringer of death than I do an accountant.

It's not THAT extreme. I'm saying a 4s78c port should fall under the "I should do that less often" category. Besides, you're not exactly doing it wrong if it only sums up to 6-10s a day seeing as a single long distance port only runs you 5s tops. Or rather, I doubt you're the targetted audience for my question and for the reduced porting cost bonus.

Couple nights ago I quit at Lone Post, intending to do the PS quest the next time I logged in.

Naturally the next time I login Lone Post is Risen-controlled and the story marker is on the OTHER side of the gate. Had to guest on another server to find a Pact-controlled area.

The event chain isn't bugged on that server so after the PS story I fight up to the rally point and down to the Altar. Of course we fail the event on the steps of the cathedral. Still got the SP though.

Warping to WvW and then LA for free (and then taking the gate to Fort Trinity) is great though.

I actually prefer the slow pace of Flame and Frost. Haven't gotten around to it, whereas I ran out of time to do all the Halloween/Wintersday events. With Lost Shores I AFK'ed through half of it because it was such a slog.

What do you guys mean swapping the tokens for ectos? I presume you mean buy the armor with them and salvage those for ectos? Problem is it's never guaranteed.

Levyne

Banned
What do you guys mean swapping the tokens for ectos? I presume you mean buy the armor with them and salvage those for ectos? Problem is it's never guaranteed.

No, not guaranteed. But, for instance, my ranger has 3 (super awesome) exotic gear sets already, might as well convert the cof tokens into rare armor for a chance at ecto, right? I have no need for more weapons and armor, or the potions/sigils, etc.

I can just use the exotics from AC/CM/TA/SE to gear up other characters. Can't get ectos from those rares. Unless I really like or want the CoF/Arah exotic look.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yes, if that's your goal- buy the 80 rares (rather than the exotics) because they cost fewer tokens, and salvage with a Master or BL salvage kit.

You can also throw 4 rares or 4 exotics into the mystic forge to obtain a new random one (or a precursor! ;)) that can be sold.

edit:

The pace of Flame and Frost is literally the antithesis of a one-shot event like the Lost Shores invasion, which absolutely required your attendance at a specific time and single event to participate. It's also very different from the themed Holiday events, which added in tons of optional content to be completed at one's leisure but only within a strict, announced timeframe.

Flame and Frost being a slow burn has an enormous number of benefits- the first being the establishment of the Living Story framework in general. We don't know what Flame & Frost actually looks like, in total, yet. We won't even know half of what it is after the patch that advances the story in a little over a week. It's an ongoing arc, and the fact that there are no urgent deadlines or "one-time events" is completely in line with the idea of a living world. Those Herald NPCs aren't meant to be temporary and disappear when the refugee crisis is over, whenever that is. They're meant to be fixtures in every city that players can talk to no matter when or how long it's been since they've logged in. The idea is that Flame & Frost will establish the architecture, and then Living Story releases will be refined, made more frequent, and eventually- potentially- made continuous, so that there's always something out and about in the world that wasn't there at launch.

Think of it this way: after a couple of months without playing, you'll log in and wonder, "What's going on in Tyria?" Talk to a herald, and you'll get your answer. Then you can decide whether or not it sounds like it's worth checking out at that moment, putting it off in favor of other content, or ignoring it all together.

Another benefit is the air of mystery surrounding a slow rollout. There are lots of theories as to what the hell is going on in the Shiverpeaks right now, the most plausible-sounding of which to me is that the Flame Legion and Sons of Svanir jointly discovered a powerful object of some kind and after fighting over it forged a shaky alliance to conquer more of the southern Norn and Charr lands. But who knows. We'll have all kinds of new hints on the 26th.

There was a very brief period of this kind of speculation before Lost Shores. Like, a day or two's worth, if I remember right, when the players were translating warning signs, matching up the maps in the Consortium office, and keeping the beached whales alive in LA. Everyone wanted to figure it out. I fucking loved that stuff. Ash had some of the most ludicrous guesses as to what was going to happen, while I was pretty suspicious that the underwater Elder dragon was involved. But there was no real ongoing mystery, once the Karka attacked LA everyone basically knew all there was to know. This is an opportunity to weave a more interesting tale without leaving anyone who couldn't "make it" behind.

Not liking that they will only be adding "more hints" for the living story...I want something to happen already...hope it isn't just 1 more achievement that you can complete in half hour.

Guild Missions look very interesting. I'm happy they are keeping them in the open world and not in instanced areas like the story missions.

The guild "currency" from these missions seems cool but I hope that is something that is just in the guild window not another currency that we have to worry about because it it kinda getting ridiculousness with all the different things we get right now.

I really think all the dungeons should have the same token or at least be able to convert 1 type of token to another.

Levyne

Banned
Not liking that they will only be adding "more hints" for the living story...I want something to happen already...hope it isn't just 1 more achievement that you can complete in half hour.

Guild Missions look very interesting. I'm happy they are keeping them in the open world and not in instanced areas like the story missions.

The guild "currency" from these missions seems cool but I hope that is something that is just in the guild window not another currency that we have to worry about because it it kinda getting ridiculousness with all the different things we get right now.

I really think all the dungeons should have the same token or at least be able to convert 1 type of token to another.

Conversion, maybe. But if it was a shared token, that could basically mean you could run CoF1 a whole bunch for 8 different armor/weapon sets...

maybe a common token that could be used at a ninth vendor with stuff like dyes/gifts/etc? I dunno.

Never thought about throwing dungeon rares into the forge. Not nearly as safe as going for ecto but if you dont want to save 400g for a precursor...might as well get a couple gamble attempts every couple runs.

Yeah a shared token would have been preferable. I don't like the idea of grinding the same dungeon over and over and over for the armor as opposed to encouraging people to play every different dungeon and thus, spreading out the runs with more variety. Heck, it deters me from playing most of them beyond story mode because I'd only care for one particular armor anyway and there's only one way I'm getting it.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah a shared token would have been preferable. I don't like the idea of grinding the same dungeon over and over and over for the armor as opposed to encouraging people to play every different dungeon and thus, spreading out the runs with more variety. Heck, it deters me from playing most of them beyond story mode because I'd only care for one particular armor anyway and there's only one way I'm getting it.

mm, when put that way a shared token seems fine.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I like that the dungeon armors indicate visually that you ran that dungeon to obtain them. I can recognize almost all of them instantly.

Having shared tokens is also the kind of idea rife for abuse. Everyone would be able to (and would) spam the easiest path and buy the Arah gear.

A conversion recipe for the mystic forge sounds fine to me though. It would mean running the "right" dungeon would still get you the gear faster but that there was a gear-related use for tokens from a dungeon you no longer wanted gear from, and a reason to want the tokens from any dungeon rather than a specific one, making "help runs" more beneficial for everyone.

I'm going to be perfectly honest with you guys though, tokens have become third on my list of reasons to run any particular dungeon. They are such fantastic sources of gold and XP that I consider the tokens almost a bonus reward that I can use to get the right-stat version of a gear piece I need, or a skin that I like, by just saving up and then using them when I need them. I have piles from every dungeon but Arah now (121... :p).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No worries man.

Hot damn, the concept that ArenaNet makes the loot drops terrible specifically to get players to buy gold on the Gem Store is probably my favorite thing to have come out of the official forums.

I don't know how I've never noticed it before but I see this pattern of:

Anecdotal Experience -> Skip 32 steps -> Assume nefarious intent by Dev

Over and over again. It's hilarious.

Retro

Yeah, I've got enough tokens from AC and CoF to outfit maybe three alts now. The order of importance for me is literally Fun > Helping Guildies > Gold > XP > Tokens. That's why I haven't been doing many of my usual AC/COF runs; I just got tired of em. But when people need help that's usually enough to get me to go.

That said, I might want to start hitting CM up a bit more in the future for my Guardian.

Yeah a shared token would have been preferable. I don't like the idea of grinding the same dungeon over and over and over for the armor as opposed to encouraging people to play every different dungeon and thus, spreading out the runs with more variety.

I like that each dungeon requires you to run it to get the specific tokens. It can be a little grindy and daunting at first, but I think they come fast enough you can get quite a lot of pieces in about a week of regular runs.

That said, I think they could implement a few more Bags of Wonderous Goods so it isn't quite as grindy. Maybe finishing the dungeon faster than usual or just throwing in a ton of random encounters that can happen (like the troll in AC).

I also wouldn't mind some kind of conversion process, but one that comes at a loss. Maybe 10 of any token can be converted into 5 of a specific one.

My biggest problem with tokens right now is that I have a bank tab full of them that's spilling into a second tab. Supposedly we're getting a tab on the collections page for them soon, I just hope it can hold more than 250 of them. 1000 would be good, 2000 would be best.

No worries man.

Hot damn, the concept that ArenaNet makes the loot drops terrible specifically to get players to buy gold on the Gem Store is probably my favorite thing to have come out of the official forums.

I don't know how I've never noticed it before but I see this pattern of:

Anecdotal Experience -> Skip 32 steps -> Assume nefarious intent by Dev

Over and over again. It's hilarious.

Yeah, MMO conspiracy theories are great. I was idly thinking the other day that they throw in the Monthly Salvage achievement to flood the TP with basic materials whenever the prices get too high. Those diabolical bastards!

I think once they make it possible to deposit tokens to their own bank slots they will be more like an item rather than a currency.

Hope that comes in with this patch. I feel like I remember someone from ANET saying that it was almost ready for Jan update but not quite so they pushed it for Feb.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think once they make it possible to deposit tokens to their own bank slots they will be more like an item rather than a currency.

Hope that comes in with this patch. I feel like I remember someone from ANET saying that it was almost ready for Jan update but not quite so they pushed it for Feb.
You mean more like a currency, right?

God, I hope that comes too. I swear I could not tell you how many total tokens I have right now for any dungeon even to the nearest multiple of 200. I have them spread between stacks of 250 in my bank and completely inexplicable stacks on my alts (like, I got a bunch from the bank to gear up an alt, bought what I needed and left the remainder in the inventory).

I'm going to be perfectly honest with you guys though, tokens have become third on my list of reasons to run any particular dungeon. They are such fantastic sources of gold and XP that I consider the tokens almost a bonus reward that I can use to get the right-stat version of a gear piece I need, or a skin that I like, by just saving up and then using them when I need them. I have piles from every dungeon but Arah now (121... :p).

I have like 66 tokens and no clue where to spend them or how much that's actually worth :/

Also, does anyone know a good place to go for a level 50 character to cycle events? I tried branching out away from my level 11 cycling area by going to some level 50 area I somehow ended up in when I was level 20 something and was following some people after an event. That area is dangerous and I only came across one other player there for some reason so I couldn't really do any events there solo :/

But, as a positive, I tricked my way into centaur camp's chest and got some level 50 ring. Made me realized that WOW ... I'm still wearing the same rings and such that I made back at level 10. o_O;

1. What is ectoplasm and why do I want it?

2. I have some tokens for some mystic forge thing. Where is this forge and when/why should I use it?

3. Do I basically want 2 sets of gear? One with +combat stats for serious stuff (dungeon runs), and the other with +magic find stats for overworld travel?

4. What in the fuck are Fractals?

5. Did the cost of gems (gold -> gems) go up lately? I had 600 saved up before my hiatus, and then bought a Quaggan backpack for 300. I then remembered that I saved the 600 to increase my bank slot, and gems are crazzzzy expensive. I don't remember it being that much.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I have like 66 tokens and no clue where to spend them or how much that's actually worth :/
That's one dungeon run, I don't think it's worth anything. :p Maybe a rare weapon.

The vendors are all in Lion's Arch by the Fort Mariner waypoint. You can see the costs and preview the items at each one.

Also, does anyone know a good place to go for a level 50 character to cycle events? I tried branching out away from my level 11 cycling area by going to some level 50 area I somehow ended up in when I was level 20 something and was following some people after an event. That area is dangerous and I only came across one other player there for some reason so I couldn't really do any events there solo :/
ooooh man :-[

Don't cycle evennnnts! Just out of curiosity, are you coming from another MMO that makes this seem like the best option? At best, you'll be getting XP in a way that is almost sure to get boring (right? I can't imagine that's all that fun for you D:). At worst, you'll actually run up against the game's inherent diminishing returns for rapidly repeating events! Meaning you'll get less and less the longer you hang around!

Here's what you want to do.

Go to a zone that's at your actual level or below. Here's how they break down:
jbaMCRmAS9C7ud.png
Once you pick a zone and go there, start going from heart to heart and completing them. Do any events that pop up along the way. Get skill points (blue arrows), vistas (red triangles) and POIs(yellow squares) you come across as well. If you 100% a zone- do all of the static things there- you get an XP bonus, some gold and extra goodies as well.

But, as a positive, I tricked my way into centaur camp's chest and got some level 50 ring. Made me realized that WOW ... I'm still wearing the same rings and such that I made back at level 10. o_O;
Hah, that's not so bad as long as you're keeping your armor up. I was still using the Hero's Band (nonsense freebie item) at level 80 on one character :X

edit: Hooo big question post.
1. What is ectoplasm and why do I want it?
Globs of ectoplasm are a rare material used in many things. Crafting exotic jewelry is one example.
2. I have some tokens for some mystic forge thing. Where is this forge and when/why should I use it?
Do you mean Mystic Coins, or Mystic Forge Stones?

The forge is in Lion's Arch. It's big and blue and swirly. It is incredibly useful for tons of things, but not really until endgame.
3. Do I basically want 2 sets of gear? One with +combat stats for serious stuff (dungeon runs), and the other with +magic find stats for overworld travel?
*shrug* On my main I have three different sets of "combat" gear for different builds and a magic find set for farming (I don't use it for basic overworld travel). It's really up to you. Getting a decent exotic set together for your everyday combat scenarios is your priority.
4. What in the fuck are Fractals?
Fractals of the Mists are mini-dungeons that are completed in sets of three, plus a boss fractal, at random in one "run." Completing a run raises your personal fractal level by one, at which point you can re-run them at a higher difficulty for better rewards, etc. Fractals are closely tied to Ascended gear through a mechanic called Agony occuring in the later fractal levels (10 and up). Infusions that you can put into ascended gear can mitigate agony, though it is avoidable with skill and foreknowledge except for one specific instance. You really don't need to worry about that stuff.
5. Did the cost of gems (gold -> gems) go up lately? I had 600 saved up before my hiatus, and then bought a Quaggan backpack for 300. I then remembered that I saved the 600 to increase my bank slot, and gems are crazzzzy expensive. I don't remember it being that much.
It's pretty erratic. Checking in the late evening hours, EST, often leads to better deals. It has gone up considerably since the glory days of launch, but it's been reeeelatively stable for the last month.

Retro

I'm pretty sure it was a last minute cut, since you can right-click and get the "Deposit Collectables" option.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Very sad tale behind this, but this was the dev's comment so you guys don't have to wade into that thread.
Cantha was my favorite GW1 region to work on. And I worked on every GW release. I know a lot of the dev team loved it and would love to revisit it. I kinda agree with critickitten about the negative aspect of tight corridors. Most of that came from hitting technological limits while trying to keep the epic quality of the concept art. I think we could do some really amazing things with those themes in our new engine. Certainly nothing is ruled out. I certainly encourage anyone to express your desire for a Cantha region in GW2 in a positive and friendly way. It could be years away, but it’s worth asking for.

Should I just buy new armor/weapons that are level appropriate every 5 levels if I don't get any good weapon/armor drops? I've been in the same armor since level 10. I would craft myself some higher level armor but I'm not at a suitable crafting level.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Should I just buy new armor/weapons that are level appropriate every 5 levels if I don't get any good weapon/armor drops? I've been in the same armor since level 10. I would craft myself some higher level armor but I'm not at a suitable crafting level.
Well, what level are you at?

In most instances, you can muddle through with woefully inadequate- even laughably outdated- armor by compensating with skill. Unless you find yourself dying in one hit to a moa, you're fine to keep going with what you're wearing.

If you want to upgrade your armor via crafting, it should be pretty reasonable to maintain parity with your crafting level versus character level before too long. I know I did this with jewelcrafting on my first character and that's an inherently more expensive craft. Remember that crafting gives you lots of real XP too. :) You've been using Discovery to craft, right?

Retro

Don't forget to check Karma Vendors after you complete a Renown Heart. A lot of zones have a themed armor set spread across the various vendors, so you can either fill in your gaps as you go or just collect em all for a unified set.

With the way karma jugs/vials drop now there's really no reason to hoard your karma at early levels anymore.

Well, what level are you at?

In most instances, you can muddle through with woefully inadequate- even laughably outdated- armor by compensating with skill. Unless you find yourself dying in one hit to a moa, you're fine to keep going with what you're wearing.

If you want to upgrade your armor via crafting, it should be pretty reasonable to maintain parity with your crafting level versus character level before too long. I know I did this with jewelcrafting on my first character and that's an inherently more expensive craft. Remember that crafting gives you lots of real XP too. :) You've been using Discovery to craft, right?

Yep, been using Discovery mostly. Hard to do for armor stuff though. Easy as hell for Chef.

And I'm level 15 now. So I guess the disparity between me and my armor isn't too bad. My weapons are like, level 6 though.

And I've been surviving quite well. Only ever really in trouble of dying when I aggro like 3+ enemies, where 1 of those enemies alone can kill me in like 5 hits. And when that happens I switch to Sword/Warhorn and give myself swiftness, then run like fuck while going back to Greatsword for the Running/Whirl powers.

Don't forget to check Karma Vendors after you complete a Renown Heart. A lot of zones have a themed armor set spread across the various vendors, so you can either fill in your gaps as you go or just collect em all for a unified set.

With the way karma jugs/vials drop now there's really no reason to hoard your karma at early levels anymore.

Haven't had a single karma jug/vial drop. I did get one from the free key/chest you get during personal story. I'll stop hoarding though.

Retro

Haven't had a single karma jug/vial drop. I did get one from the free key/chest you get during personal story. I'll stop hoarding though.

Vials drop from Bags of Wonderous Goods in dungeons, Jugs are rewarded for completing the daily achievements. Don't worry about trying to get a bunch now, it's something you'll be getting at max level pretty regularly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom