• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Basically I'm worried I'm going to have a build useless (or well... not useful compared to better builds) for dungeons and WvW. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wouldn't worry about it until you're much higher level, and as Khold said, nobody in this guild is going to nitpick about your build anyways. Do what feels awesome for you, it's kinda hard to screw up unless you're purposely trying (Grabbing longbow traits when you don't use one, etc.)

Is this your first MMO? Because if not, you can safely throw out a lot of what you learned about the mentality and demands of other players. You can also feel free to toss out the idea that your build defines you; being a skillful player beats having an optimized build any day of the week. Knowing how to read a fight, when to revive a downed comrade, dodge, swap and heal is going to help you in the long run a lot more than having every point in the right place.

Builds are important, but not the be-all-end-all of the game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Basically I'm worried I'm going to have a build useless (or well... not useful compared to better builds) for dungeons and WvW. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You don't even have you trait books purchased yet- not at all a cause for worry. You can respec completely from the ground up, from any city, for a trivial fee.

Looks like I might be able to play a bunch this weekend :D

Survey! If you bought an Amulet last night, which was it?

The only builds people (pubbies) demand are full glass cannon (berserker) warrior builds for the 4 warrior/1 mesmer farm runs for CoF1. And you personally don't want to be part of those NO FUN ALLOWED groups.

Retro

if you are a warrior just bring that banner that revives people and everyone will love you

Oh god yes, this is one of those things that's completely independent of build, takes a bit of skill to use (gotta drop it just right in the middle of the chaos people are dying in) and can make everyone's night that much more awesome.

I go into dungeons hoping people are having an off day so maybe they'll all whiff it at once and I can break my personal best of three revives at once. Hasn't happened yet, you GAFers are just too sturdy.

Game was lagging last night..........bad, I ran CoF p1, got my tokens, left the dungeon, got kicked out right away, go back in and get rolled back before i did the dungeon, my money and tokens were the same...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The only builds people (pubbies) demand are full glass cannon (berserker) warrior builds for the 4 warrior/1 mesmer farm runs for CoF1. And you personally don't want to be part of those NO FUN ALLOWED groups.
Not at all joking- if you ever witness somebody in guild asking for something like this (not accepting you into a party because of a build/class), snitch the crap out of them on an officer. Does not mesh with our ideals.
The tendency to skip as much content ont he way to rewards kind of soured me on my gw2lfg.com experience. I've been wanting to do SE exp to get the visual look for my Charr Engineer, so I did a SE run with a gw2lfg pug and I'd say they skipped about 75% of the dungeon through various tricks. I hadn't done the dungeon that way and was struggling to keep up. Eventually I just kept following them and ignoring mobs, but I didn't really like the experience. They also used an area of terrain to beat the final boss without ever really having to fight it. Just spamming ranged 1 attacks from a terrace. Overall, the run was quick but it was boring.
Just look for a listing (or make one) saying "fighting all" or "no skipping." That's what I've been doing and all of those runs have been a delight.

You're thinking Discipline. Tactics is the Vitality/Boon Duration line with healing shouts / banners.

You won't be. Don't worry about taking another profession's role or anything like that; healing is healing, and that's useful for everyone because heals in GW2 are for pretty small amounts.

Tactics is a solid line for dungeon support;
- You revive faster (always good), and gain toughness while reviving (very good, at 80 this works out to 400 toughness; more than if you went 30 points in the Defense line)
- You grant might on revive (not amazing, but useful)

Additionally, a trait like Empowered (increased damage for every boon on you) can be obscenely good since there's usually a ton of boons flying around anyways. Round it out with Lung Capacity (Shouts recharge 20% faster) and Vigorous shouts (shouts heal) and you have a solid support build. You can put points in any of the other trait lines and still be pretty kick ass (I go 25 in arms and run a high crit/bleed build in addition to support).

Worth noting that Tactics line will also be useful for you in WvW: Quick Breathing (Warhorn skills convert conditions to boons and recharge 20% faster) will give you constant swiftness and help thin out conditions on yourself and those around you. There's also two traits in the line related to the Longbow, which is going to be your ranged weapon of choice in WvW for all of the AOE.

There's a LOT of good Warrior builds, and they're all in a really good place. I happen to like the Crit/Bleed/Support spec, but poke around GW2 Database's builds section and see if any sound good.

Edit: Oh yeah, if shouts aren't your thing, you can also roll with a banner build: Inspiring Banners will make them affect a wider area and cool down faster, and Inspiring Battle Standard will cause them to grant regen. It's not as effective as shouts, but it's an option. I've never tried it, but YMMV

I don't know retro, I've been running a shout-support build since launch and recently after a hiatus of a couple of months, I've felt it's not as useful as it once was. I run GS/Longbow.

Retro

I don't know retro, I've been running a shout-support build since launch and recently after a hiatus of a couple of months, I've felt it's not as useful as it once was. I run GS/Longbow.

Well, they haven't nerfed anything, so if it is less useful it's happening somewhere else. Players are probably better geared and have larger health pools, perhaps.

I run a heavy crit Sword/axe and Rifle bleed build, so my damage output is fairly respectable even giving up some degree of precision for +healing. I don't feel like I'm gimped in either respect, as my shouts heal about 2k in an 80 dungeon, and the condition removal is exceptionally useful overall.

Any idea what's changed on your end in the last few months? Cuz I'm not seeing it.

Fuck some of the story mode stuff. I'm trying a level 50 human story quest, and I'm getting outnumbered by enemies 6-1.

:/

The story quest 40 can be unfair to some classes, not saying you can't complete them, but stuff on claw island is harder and takes longer for a squishy class, I had no problems with claw island on my Warrior and Guardian, but on my Ele i was killed a few times.

The story quest 40 can be unfair to some classes, not saying you can't complete them, but stuff on claw island is harder and takes longer for a squishy class, I had no problems with claw island on my Warrior and Guardian, but on my Ele i was killed a few times.

I'm playing a Guardian. But I die in ~10 seconds when surrounded by 6-8 Risen Thralls and Brutes.

They chase me, and only me. I can't escape when a group surrounds me. I also have like... no allies.

I remember having this same problem earlier when playing this things that automatically set the player on fire, at seemingly any range. -_-

Taffer

Survey! If you bought an Amulet last night, which was it?

I was expecting all week to buy one as soon as I could but decided at the last minute to leave it a while as I didn't see any with built-in Agony resistance. Are there any infusions I could make/buy to get some AR on the amulet (as I don't have any Ascended rings)?
I'll probably get an amulet anyway as I don't really fancy any other laurel vendor items right now and stick the extra gold from monsters infusion in it. I crafted most of my orichalcum/ectoplasm into jewellery last night and made more money than I usually get in a month, I wish there were some Ascended rings on the TP to blow it on.

Edit: Found the info about the AR, I need to upgrade the basic infusion to include it.
Edit 2: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513737

Tarazet

I'm playing a Guardian. But I die in ~10 seconds when surrounded by 6-8 Risen Thralls and Brutes.

They chase me, and only me. I can't escape when a group surrounds me. I also have like... no allies.

I remember having this same problem earlier when playing this things that automatically set the player on fire, at seemingly any range. -_-

I run with a sword/shield because it's excellent for dealing with situations when you are overwhelmed. 5 to knock everything back, 2 to charge at one, 3 to burst it down. Even so, I started running with Toughness gems, because I was sick of getting downed. Doesn't really happen anymore, even if I'm fighting over-level mobs.

Shambles

I know this is a long shot but we're looking for a 5th member for Sorrows Embrace on the Darkhaven server is anyone is interested. Can't get any interest from people in the area.

Edit: Found one, we're good.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I know this is a long shot but we're looking for a 5th member for Sorrows Embrace on the Darkhaven server is anyone is interested. Can't get any interest from people in the area.

Edit: Found one, we're good.

You can do dungeons cross-server. Join up with GAF or use gw2lfg.com
I was expecting all week to buy one as soon as I could but decided at the last minute to leave it a while as I didn't see any with built-in Agony resistance. Are there any infusions I could make/buy to get some AR on the amulet (as I don't have any Ascended rings)?
I'll probably get an amulet anyway as I don't really fancy any other laurel vendor items right now and stick the extra gold from monsters infusion in it. I crafted most of my orichalcum/ectoplasm into jewellery last night and made more money than I usually get in a month, I wish there were some Ascended rings on the TP to blow it on.

Edit: Found the info about the AR, I need to upgrade the basic infusion to include it.

You can get a simple infusion in fractals for like 75 relics.

Nirolak said:
This would actually be slower than they ended up with last time:

Prophecies: April 26, 2005
Factions: April 28, 2006
Nightfall: October 27, 2006
Eye of the North: August 31, 2007
Interesting, I wonder if it's definite.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
If I rejoin GAF while playing on a Euro-Server and US GAF decides to do a dungeon, would I be able to join, too?

Ketch

Anyone else have trouble following links from the launcher? They always seem to get stuck loading and then I have to close my browser before I can go anywhere on the internet.

Tarazet

I spent all day playing, starting around 5:30 am and ending around 9 pm with breaks only for food. Leveled from 20 to 28, completed the daily before and after the reset, and did a full clear of Lion's Arch starting from zero. Made about 2 gold too. In the whole day of playing, I only got downed once, while fighting a champion in Diessa.

Sharkmaw Caverns was so cheap. Kept getting my torch blown out, only finished it by turning the gamma up to max in the graphics settings so I could see where I was jumping.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I spent all day playing, starting around 5:30 am and ending around 9 pm with breaks only for food. Leveled from 20 to 28, completed the daily before and after the reset, and did a full clear of Lion's Arch starting from zero. Made about 2 gold too. In the whole day of playing, I only got downed once, while fighting a champion in Diessa.

Sharkmaw Caverns was so cheap. Kept getting my torch blown out, only finished it by turning the gamma up to max in the graphics settings so I could see where I was jumping.
You can actually compensate with a torch (the weapon), the Mad Memories back piece, and a few other things that provide light. :p

Though you've already got it done, so.

I realized I'm a chronic class switcher. I'm gonna try out Engineer since they can apparently swap their role in a dime. I hear they suck in PVP but I'm not a PVP'er.

Planning on going Elixer/Flamethrower. Grenade spam has highest DPS load-out and 1500 range, but I dont feel like clicking 1 over and over again!

Westlo

WoW fanboys generally make guild wars threads in the main forum unreadable pretty quickly.

What do you expect after all the GW2 >>>> WoW posturing in the build up too GW2s release? Though to be fair most of those guys don't play GW2 anymore as well and will jump onto the next MMO that has a "chance".

Complistic

I found the marks on the staff of the necro actually can work to mark your jumps pretty well.

Place one on the ledge you're standing on and one where you want to jump.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Indeed it does man. Everytime I'm in a blacked out jumping puzzle I light my way with the shortbow unless I need the torch to light something (EB jp). And I help others with it too!
Awesome. I never had cause to try since my thief wears this:
jIxKqJfq5YkYb_e.jpg

I just click it on if I need light :p

Awesome. I never had cause to try since my thief wears this:
jIxKqJfq5YkYb_e.jpg

I just click it on if I need light :p

I use that too..but the shortbow is good for judging jumps and helping people in other areas of the puzzle.

But I discovered the shortbow's use in puzzles before the Halloween event. :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I use that too..but the shortbow is good for judging jumps and helping people in other areas of the puzzle.

But I discovered the shortbow's use in puzzles before the Halloween event. :D
Very cool. I wonder if any other weapons have real-time lighting effects. I remember trying pistol, but it's useless for that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't know engineers very well, but I remember that the superbly low cooldown on condition removal (which you can also give to party members) is excellent, and the F1 skill struck me as a solid heal with a 20s cooldown too.

I don't know engineers very well, but I remember that the superbly low cooldown on condition removal (which you can also give to party members) is excellent, and the F1 skill struck me as a solid heal with a 20s cooldown too.

Yeah the toolbelt skill is great. I just find the health pack drops sucky.

IIRC you can also trait the medkit line so that the heal skill cooldown drops to 16.

Edit: I heard that Fractals are pretty much all about DPS. Like, every member of your party must be specced for DPS... how true is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom