• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

Just popped SweetFX for the first time and well...ya'll weren't joking about the color saturation. It's like a rainbow hugged my game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You can tone it down. Or reverse it. Or make your game sepia-toned. SweetFX is totally configurable.
Someone told me that just flipping on and off the medkit is enough to trigger "on heal" runes. Yeah, I know. Engineers actually do have it good.
That does work for sure, but I don't think the med toolbelt heal skill does. It would be significant if it did because of the low cooldown, major + additional heal on you + the heal on nearby allies (which scales with healing power). That would probably become the best single heal in the game if it worked. But yeah, even just the med kit swap makes a full-tilt healing engineer seem really interesting to me.

Hey guys,

I was hoping to join your guild! I have been playing on and off for a couple months, and now that my only friend that played this game has stopped, I don't see why I wouldn't join a community to play with. Two things:

Is it still free to switch realms?

And how do I join the guild?

Thanks!

Levyne

Banned
Hey guys,

I was hoping to join your guild! I have been playing on and off for a couple months, and now that my only friend that played this game has stopped, I don't see why I wouldn't join a community to play with. Two things:

Is it still free to switch realms?

And how do I join the guild?

Thanks!

Sure. Message an officer (most should be in the op) for an invite.

Not still free to switch realms :(

BUT

(if you are on an NA server)

You can guest with us

and dungeons are cross server anyways.

Trey

My two level 80s with SweetFX.

gw22013-02-1719-43-14oge2y.png

gw22013-02-1721-30-022ber9.png

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
had between 40-50 members online for most of the night. awesome. Almost back up to 5k influence. Keep it up guys!

Proven

You can tone it down. Or reverse it. Or make your game sepia-toned. SweetFX is totally configurable.

That does work for sure, but I don't think the med toolbelt heal skill does. It would be significant if it did because of the low cooldown, major + additional heal on you + the heal on nearby allies (which scales with healing power). That would probably become the best single heal in the game if it worked. But yeah, even just the med kit swap makes a full-tilt healing engineer seem really interesting to me.

But in this case, you get the best of both worlds. You get whatever effect of the runes are, and you still have your heal in your back pocket, all because you chose that heal skill.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
But in this case, you get the best of both worlds. You get whatever effect of the runes are, and you still have your heal in your back pocket, all because you chose that heal skill.
Nooo, you're missing what I'm saying :p If the rune proc activated on swapping to the med kit AND the F1 skill, it'd make engineers seriously among the best healers in the game. I'm not surprised it doesn't work, honestly. I remember the bandage skill being a big personal heal on its own.

Tarazet

Staff Guardian is amazing. The AE Might boon + Crit shout combo makes dungeon fights go so fast. I don't see that shout in the build calculator though, is that only a low-level thing?

Proven

Nooo, you're missing what I'm saying :p If the rune proc activated on swapping to the med kit AND the F1 skill, it'd make engineers seriously among the best healers in the game. I'm not surprised it doesn't work, honestly. I remember the bandage skill being a big personal heal on its own.

Ah. But that wouldn't work very well anyway because of the runes' internal cooldowns. The lowest is 10 seconds or so. You might as well keep popping the 0-cooldown medkit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm using SweetFX with AMD no problem. I was getting crashes if applications were trying to throw overlays on top of it (Mumble, which never had its overlay work for me anyway). Disabling that feature in Mumble settings had it work again. But it has no inherently AMD-related issues with it I don't think.

Welcome back ;)

I was just reading that Tarnished Coast is the semi-offical "guestination" server for all worlds for leveling/events or what have you, if the zone you're in isn't populous enough. Good for all to know, and fine by me personally. I love those wacky RP freaks, I'll party with them anytime.

Bumhead

Banned
I don't play GW2 myself, but got a performance related question on behalf of a friend if anyone could help me?

He has an i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5GHz, 8GB of RAM, an SSD drive and a 560ti. On World v World, he's currently getting about 25-30 fps in crowded areas, 60 in quiet and 40-60 in capital cities. He's wanting to upgrade to a GTX 670. Can he expect much of a performance boost from doing so when playing World v World on that set up? Anyone playing WvW with a similar rig?

Any help greatly appreciated, cheers folks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You can have more than first and last names. You can be Sir Isaccard the Happy if you want. Just a character limit

I don't play GW2 myself, but got a performance related question on behalf of a friend if anyone could help me?

He has an i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5GHz, 8GB of RAM, an SSD drive and a 560ti. On World v World, he's currently getting about 25-30 fps in crowded areas, 60 in quiet and 40-60 in capital cities. He's wanting to upgrade to a GTX 670. Can he expect much of a performance boost from doing so when playing World v World on that set up? Anyone playing WvW with a similar rig?

Any help greatly appreciated, cheers folks.

I've got exact same rig as him but I do not have my CPU overclocked.

I don't really keep track of FPS nonstop especially in WvW but the numbers you mentioned sound right. I never have any problems in WvW even at 30 fps, so for me the current setup is just fine. I don't feel like my PC is causing me to fail in WvW, it's usually my lack of skill.

I don't know how much better the other card would work.

Sorry this probably wasn't much help. Hopefully someone with the 670 card can share thier fps numbers so he can have a better idea of what to do.

hythloday

Coming up with names is hard.

This is true. I'm looking forward to paid name changes.

When I created my characters on launch day, I didn't get the names I THOUGHT I had reserved for myself in GW1. I had them on the GW1 account, and it said the two were linked. But when I tried to take the names on GW2 launch day it said they were unavailable. So, I thought it was a bug, then I remembered I had bought and played GW1 for like, 30 minutes years ago, and I wonder if I still had that old account that it linked to instead. Who knows.

Either way, it said they were reserved and I had no choice but to come up with new awesome names on the spot. I ended up with stuff that sounded cool then, but after much thought I wish I had something different.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
A nice story about a Fractals noob who accidentally joined a level 26 run as his very first time in the mode. Obviously, no agony resistance.

Instead of acting as you might expect and kicking him as soon as they realized this, they took the time to teach him the fractals and what Agony was. They note that it might not have been as successful if they had gotten the hardest fractals, but they got through it with a minimum of trouble. And so he advanced, from level 1 to level 2, by completing level 26.

Personally I want our guild to be about that sort of spirit above all else. Someone being worried about what to do or new to something is a reason to group with them, not the other way around. :)

Also, if you have a Quaggan backpack and a ruminant tonic in your bank... seems like you can cause it to fall off and become giant. Give it a shot:

Aha, and some news for the RNG-afflicted:
The rules by which you qualify for credit for an event or for experience when killing a mob are different rules than those used to help determine if you qualify for loot. Some of these were set up to be unintentionally restrictive, and as such you could kill a creature with a lot of health (this was most noticeable on champions) and not qualify for loot, despite qualifying for all other credit.

For the February Flame & Frost: The Gathering Storm release we will be repairing this issue to ensure more players are capable of earning loot credit for kills. This should fix the issue such that you got credit for killing a champion, but received no loot from it. Once fixed, all champion mobs will correctly always drop 1 blue or better loot item, and all veterans will have a chance of dropping loot better than regular mobs as outlined in the November release. Please note, it is still possible to kill a creature and not do enough damage to qualify for loot (which is the only way you won’t get loot for a champion), it is also still possible for veterans to not drop loot at all, since they simply have better odds of dropping loot than normal creatures but no guaranteed drops.

On top of this, we’re also updating some of the loot in various areas of the game for the February release that should make specific areas more rewarding. We’ll cover this is in detail with the February release notes.

Personally I want our guild to be about that sort of spirit above all else. Someone being worried about what to do or new to something is a reason to group with them, not the other way around. :)

Here, here. I sit as one those worried about what not to do so that sounds good to me.

The rules by which you qualify for credit for an event or for experience when killing a mob are different rules than those used to help determine if you qualify for loot. Some of these were set up to be unintentionally restrictive, and as such you could kill a creature with a lot of health (this was most noticeable on champions) and not qualify for loot, despite qualifying for all other credit.

For the February Flame & Frost: The Gathering Storm release we will be repairing this issue to ensure more players are capable of earning loot credit for kills. This should fix the issue such that you got credit for killing a champion, but received no loot from it. Once fixed, all champion mobs will correctly always drop 1 blue or better loot item, and all veterans will have a chance of dropping loot better than regular mobs as outlined in the November release. Please note, it is still possible to kill a creature and not do enough damage to qualify for loot (which is the only way you won’t get loot for a champion), it is also still possible for veterans to not drop loot at all, since they simply have better odds of dropping loot than normal creatures but no guaranteed drops.

On top of this, we’re also updating some of the loot in various areas of the game for the February release that should make specific areas more rewarding. We’ll cover this is in detail with the February release notes.

That will be a nice change for the champions. Twice in the last week or two I've taken down the Giant Champion in Diessa and received nothing. One time it was just 3 of us and no one received any loot.

Wallach

Holy crap.

Using that doesn't trigger "on heals" for runes, right?

Last time I played, just switching into Med Kit (which has no meaningful cooldown) triggered "when using a healing skill" stuff. They might have fixed that at some point since it's kind of dumb.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That will be a nice change for the champions. Twice in the last week or two I've taken down the Giant Champion in Diessa and received nothing. One time it was just 3 of us and no one received any loot.
Yeah, to clarify, this is considered a bug/not working as intended. The loot will certainly still SUCK, on the whole, but you should be getting a drop 100% of the time from a champ. Nice that there should be a fix in place for that in 8 days.
Last time I played, just switching into Med Kit (which has no meaningful cooldown) triggered "when using a healing skill" stuff. They might have fixed that at some point since it's kind of dumb.
I know that works (btw does that have any cooldown? all kinds of builds are racing through my head) but the point I was making was that if the toolbelt skill triggered it, that Bandage skill would be amazing; possibly the best heal in the game. I.e.: large self heal + bonus self heal + PBAoE heal every 15 seconds.
Lulubop said:
Let's run frac 24!
Down for this, now that I have some AR and it always levels you up, I should spend more time practicing in tier 3.

Also, I just learned today for sure that fractal daily chests are character bound. Since everything you can GET in fractals is account bound, this is enormous incentive to level up your alts to Fractal level 10 at least (remember you get scaled up to 80 in them).

That is to say, if you have one character at Fractal level 20 and another at Fractal level 10, you can potentially earn 3 pristine fractal relics per day.

Wallach

I know that works (btw does that have any cooldown? all kinds of builds are racing through my head) but the point I was making was that if the toolbelt skill triggered it, that Bandage skill would be amazing; possibly the best heal in the game. I.e.: large self heal + bonus self heal + PBAoE heal every 15 seconds.

Bandage is considered a Heal Skill, yeah. I mean, it is for the purposes of Automated Medical Response (Heal Skills CD reset on 25% life) so I don't know why others wouldn't work.

Orr temple armor confuses me! I'm a warrior and want a full set of berserker or knights! But there is no Orr temple config? Should I just save karma and buy pieces off tp?

Shame... Have nothing to spend all my karma on!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Orr temple armor confuses me! I'm a warrior and want a full set of berserker or knights! But there is no Orr temple config? Should I just save karma and buy pieces off tp?

Orr armor sets have unique (kind of odd) stat distributions, some of which are actually not available elsewhere. Here you are...

Good news: if you decide you do still want to just buy your stuff on the TP, you can now (basically) convert Karma into Gold wholesale. Buy Orrian Jewelry Boxes and sell what pops out.

Katoki

Berserkers and knights are crafted sets. You could probably find that stat distribution in the dungeon vendors but I wouldn't know off hand.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Definitely- I know CoF for example is probably the most reliable way to get Berserker's gear.. I think CoE has it as well, along with one other.

So far as I understand it, each of the major stat distribution sets is available in three dungeons.

Orr armor sets have unique (kind of odd) stat distributions, some of which are actually not available elsewhere. Here you are...

Good news: if you decide you do still want to just buy your stuff on the TP, you can now (basically) convert Karma into Gold wholesale. Buy Orrian Jewelry Boxes and sell what pops out.

yeah i saw a video on youtube of the orr jewelry box, and i didnt get it. you just get karma back with a low chance of a loadstone?

Dontain had a video where he bought like 10 of them, and he mostly got karma back and a few silver worth unusuable pieces!

Proven

yeah i saw a video on youtube of the orr jewelry box, and i didnt get it. you just get karma back with a low chance of a loadstone?

Dontain had a video where he bought like 10 of them, and he mostly got karma back and a few silver worth unusuable pieces!

It's pretty much gambling for lodestones, where this time they added karma back offers.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's pretty much gambling for lodestones, where this time they added karma back offers.
Unid Objects are worth 50c and you're guaranteed to get at least 2 from each box, and up to 15 or so... so you get some silver out of it no matter what, chances for lodestones, permanent tonics, one mini... and karma. You can then use that karma to buy more til you're out I guess.

just realized that my spring break is next week, and I go home on break. This means I'll be gone the week of the update :(. Hopefully I can play it on my mac laptop. I'll have to try dling it tmw at school

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Had 30-40 active members on again tonight on a Monday. Damn good. We're getting influence at a really sweet rate. Shout outs to Wiggin and his band in WvW pulling us into a pretty crushing first place against IOJ and Devona's Rest.

LkPr

what's the best/fastest/easiest way of getting globs of ectoplasm? I know salvaging rares will give them but what salvage kit should I use for the best chance? And what would be the easiest way to get rares? I did 2 fractal levels over the weekend and only got 2 rares, salvaged them both and no ecto :(

Levyne

Banned
what's the best/fastest/easiest way of getting globs of ectoplasm? I know salvaging rares will give them but what salvage kit should I use for the best chance? And what would be the easiest way to get rares? I did 2 fractal levels over the weekend and only got 2 rares, salvaged them both and no ecto :(

Make sure to use a Masters/Mystic kit or a Black Lion if you have one. Fractals always gives a good amount of rares, plus the high level dungeons tokens can be traded 30 per rare if you arent looking to save for the exotic armor sets.

Usually when I am trying to build an ecto stack, I use the tokens for rares/ecto, and then I use the money made during the dungeon to put in a buy order for a couple at a time as well. Many people won't bother with the second part, depends how quickly you need them.

I was able to do the EB jumping puzzle twice consecutively last night (no mesmers), and there wasn't very many people at all around. A handful of SBI guys and one DR person who ignored me.

EDIT: You are Lileath? Sorry about the CoF run not going yesterday. We could do AC tonight or I could help get you to fireheart.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Eeesh, I hope you didn't use anything below a Master's kit!

Ectos count as the "rarer materials" roll listed on the kit.

In essence, if you're really looking for the ectos to use, or to sell in large quantity, you want to use a BL kit. It's worth spending the gold on the gems to buy one if you don't have one from a daily/zone complete/etc.

If you're just looking for bonus ectos (like you're just a few off from a goal) or want to gamble, using a Mystic/Master's kit will be adequate, though you get them at a rate of 0.75 ectos per piece (explaining your poor luck with just 2 rares).

If you don't have the BL kit, and just want the money, I encourage merely selling the rares. List them for a price considerably lower than the highest buyer but making at least a few silver more than the highest order. I know this wasn't what you were asking, but for anybody reading. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom