• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taffer

It may be worth waiting to level crafting professions until Friday (before the WvW reset) so you benefit from the extra "Artisan: 2-3% increased chance of crafting critical success" WvW bonus if you've been stockpiling materials/crafting boosters to go on a crafting binge already.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Colin's blowing up Twitter. I gotta say, I can recognize excitement about one's work when I see it:
Colin: There will be 5 types of guild missions built with influence... in different difficulties #foodwars

Colin: Modifications to the commander book are coming, with more features. Will remain character bound #foodwars

Colin: Looking at new player experiences and continually making the game accessible for them as it launches in new regions #foodwars

Colin: WvW updates will not introduce new skills. Will bring passive abilities aimed towards group play eg. Extra supply #foodwars

Colin: All the bosses in AC have been completely rebuilt for the February release. Some of the open world champions will be too

Colin: Orange swords in WvW won’t show if there are less than ~25 people after February’s update (unsure exact number) #foodwars

Colin: @PoisonedAce (On bosses) Nope, just more interesting and less boring. Think of fractals encounters. ~Tilion [regarding AC]

Bold points in order:

1) Welp, I will not be satisfied until we complete all of the mission types at the highest difficulty. So much for making any short-term progress on my existing goals :3

2) This (extra supply as a reward for WvW progression) strikes me as kind of a great idea. I mean, just hearing that makes me want to go for it. It feels like attaining a military rank in a sense; maybe that's what they're going for. Like below the authority of commanders, veteran WvW players will actually have more impact in a given encounter by enabling siege to be built more quickly or with a smaller team. I wonder what else there is.

3) Ghost Eater now harder than Lupicus confirmed

4) This is basically just bolded for the "Wallach and Jira were right on the money" factor
Colin: Guild missions will be taking place in Southsun Cove #foodwars

Colin: There will be other legendaries in the future. Priority is resolving ways to get precursors, including the scavenger hunt 1/2

Colin: Possibility of new legendary types (ie not weapons) and combinations. #foodwars
goddamnit slow down, colin!

edit: oh, official forums...
The kitten, AC redesign? That’s the one and only dungeon that is decentish and servers it purpose (being newbie friendly)
("kitten" is the universal swear filter replacement)
I see this as a nerf to Kohler so newbies stop skipping him.
("All the bosses" ???)
Not really looking towards changes to AC. I might have to try the other dungeons (other than CM and Fractals) now.
(Trying other dungeons... the horror)
AC more like Fractals? NOOOOOOOOO!!
Man, what in the world do they think is gonna happen? D:

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Man, there are few things in gaming more amazing and satisfying then capping Stone Mist after a vicious fight.

Legendary armor soon to be confirmed? mwahahaha I win, fools, I win!
I kid
if this goes down, I will re-campaign the universe dungeon token cause!

So when you guys create a new alt, who do you use to complete the dailies? your primary to continue to stack karma? or the new character to get them the xp and their karma started?

Retro

Legendary armor soon to be confirmed?

Legendary back item: Capes. Watch the nerd rage flood the internet.

So when you guys create a new alt, who do you use to complete the dailies? your primary to continue to stack karma? or the new character to get them the xp and their karma started?

I save all of my Karma Jugs. I'm over 100 of em now. Had to create a second stack for my vials too. In general, I will do dailies on an alt for the XP.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Legendary back item: Capes. Watch the nerd rage flood the internet.

Now imagine the new legendary items require basically the same mats as the legendary weapons, so people who did all this have to do it all over again.

Retro

Now imagine the new legendary items require basically the same mats as the legendary weapons, so people who did all this have to do it all over again.

I did mention a flood of nerd rage, right?

I'm kinda miffed Quivers are actually as hard to get as they are, I'd love one on my Thief but there's no way I'm gonna dump the materials needed for an alt.

Katoki

Well if they asked for such items then they asked for it. Too bad they're going to complain and not eat it because they asked for it though.

I do wonder if the WvW stuff is retroactive or if everybody will be on a clean slate when it comes. I also wonder how servers will respond to no orange swords w/ less than 25. It does encourage more smaller engagements which might be a response to help w/ culling/lag but it may lead to some undesirables that I myself don't know of just yet

Divvy

I do wonder if the WvW stuff is retroactive or if everybody will be on a clean slate when it comes. I also wonder how servers will respond to no orange swords w/ less than 25. It does encourage more smaller engagements which might be a response to help w/ culling/lag but it may lead to some undesirables that I myself don't know of just yet

I dunno. Half of the zergs on my mid-tier server have under 25 people. This seems like it'd just hide them better.

Arcteryx

I dunno. Half of the zergs on my mid-tier server have under 25 people. This seems like it'd just hide them better.

Yea I'm not so sure about how well it will work. I can see it leading to more zerg on zerg behavior, as it will be a guaranteed indicator of 25+ numbers. Honestly, I'd rather see LESS indicators and have commanders rely more on actual scouts etc to monitor movement.

Katoki

Yea I'm not so sure about how well it will work. I can see it leading to more zerg on zerg behavior, as it will be a guaranteed indicator of 25+ numbers. Honestly, I'd rather see LESS indicators and have commanders rely more on actual scouts etc to monitor movement.

That'd be nice. No indicators would be ideal in that case so it would allow for more scouting parties/havoc groups.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm missing on how this isn't "less." The orange swords will now be an indicator of 25+ people, but there will be no indicator for a smaller group. Seems like it'll be more viable for a group of 10 to rapidly assault an undefended keep, no?

Arcteryx

I'm missing on how this isn't "less." The orange swords will now be an indicator of 25+ people, but there will be no indicator for a smaller group. Seems like it'll be more viable for a group of 10 to rapidly assault an undefended keep, no?

You still get white swords even if a solo person hits a keep door(useful for denying WP's).

Orange swords can already be "skipped" by just using siege on a door; you will still get a white sword, but that's it.

The only "plus" is that you might catch someone derping on a skelk and put up a flag that a 25+ group is in the open field(but honestly I don't think things like that need to be shown on the map; I'd rather see zero indicators beyond white swords).

Retro

Tuesday is going to be a very big day:

http://dragonseason.com/Front/tabid/124/EntryId/210/Lunch-with-Colin-Johanson.aspx

What can we expect from guild missions?

Colin: It's really spread out all over the game and it depends on which type of mission you're doing. There are actually five completely different types of missions and based on which one it is - bounty hunts, for example, is the really basic one, that's the one that you can get right off the bat when [February's] release first goes out. You actually have to unlock all the other missions types, so it's literally going to take months for your guild to build up enough influence to unlock all of them. It's really a progression here, [...] it's on the whole unlock tree just like any of the other guild abilities, so you make your way down all that stuff and you’ll use influence to kick off missions as well. So, finally, you'll have a use for that giant pile of influence. Some guilds are probably going to tear through really quickly cause they've got huge piles of it but it is going to take a while. With bounty hunts, you can pick which tier of bounty hunts you go on and it randomly generates bosses in different zones that get spawned because the bounty hunt started and it spreads your guild out all over the place. If you do a really big bounty hunt it will actually spread your guild across five different zones, where there is a boss in each and you have, say, 15 minutes to kill all five of them. So, you actually have to split your guild into five different groups and send them to all the maps and find them to take them out.

Some of us have small guilds, we don’t have 500 members and some challenges could prove quite hard. Are we going to see any collaboration mechanisms set in place?

Colin: Our hope will be that [collaborations] will kinda dynamically come out of this as sort of emergent gameplay. The bounties, for example, have different tiers so there’s a small tier that you can do - even small guilds can get those - you’ve got three bosses in three zones so maybe 10-15 people can do that, a small guild, and you can pick which tier you want to kick off based on how many people you’ve got online. Maybe one of the things that will come out of that is “our guild is going to do the tier 3 bounty which takes a lot more people to do, so let’s get 3 guilds together and our guild will kick one off and you’ll help us do ours and then you’ll kick one off and we’ll help us do yours” and the 3 guilds all work together to accomplish [it]. I think that kind of emergent gameplay hopefully will come out of that for sure. We don’t really know what to expect just because it is so hard to test internally to see what guilds are going to do [when all this goes] live. So, some of this is going to [emerge] when we put it out and we’re just going to see how guilds interact with it and what they do and then it will help us determine what other features and additions we need to work on.

That article is 20 minutes of a 2 hour interview, so more news still to come.

Jira

Hey all,

Next time you're playing could you all login to each character you have on your account? Each login will get us +10 Influence for the guild. Influence is going to be necessary for starting guild missions, unlocking new guild missions, and other new influence rewards with the Feb 26th patch.

Tarazet

What professions/weapon types do you like for kite classes? Something that can slow enemies and kill them before they engage at close range, disengage to put daylight between yourself and mobs, that kind of thing. So far this is what I've tried that seems to fit the bill:

- Guardian: scepter/focus
- Ranger: shortbow or axe/axe
- Elementalist: haven't found one yet

Divvy

What professions/weapon types do you like for kite classes? Something that can slow enemies and kill them before they engage at close range, disengage to put daylight between yourself and mobs, that kind of thing. So far this is what I've tried that seems to fit the bill:

Shortbow thief is pretty great at this.

etiolate

Banned

Necro: Staff and scepter/focus or dagger/focus

I was able to solo kite the giant bore in Queensdale with a lowbie Necro and a staff. Dagger has a immobilize on the mainhand, but its a close range weapon. The focus OH has a chill on the 5th skill. Staff has a slow and a fear. You basically lay aoes out in a row in front of enemies and kite forever.

Levito

Banned
Hey all,

Next time you're playing could you all login to each character you have on your account? Each login will get us +10 Influence for the guild. Influence is going to be necessary for starting guild missions, unlocking new guild missions, and other new influence rewards with the Feb 26th patch.

I will do this for you, my love.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Shortbow thief is pretty great at this.
+1, also Mesmer Staff and Greatsword (especially Staff/Greatsword). You'll want Crippling Dissipation from your Domination traits and Blink on your bar though.

Edit: to flesh out the shortbow Thief, you'll want either Shadowstep (good condition removal also) or Sword on the alternate set for Infiltrator's Strike.

Divvy

How is the Mac version btw? Anyone try it?

Just to follow up on this. My buddy installed the mac version on his air and got 11fps. He then installed win8 onto said laptop and got 30fps with the windows version.

Dat poor optimization

LkPr

I'm FINALLY going to start working on getting at least 1 full exotic set (looking at a soldier set) and I am wondering which would be the easiest route?

I just purchased a T3 cultural weapon so that ate up quite a bit of my saved Karma. Currently I have about 10k on my char and then maybe 10 un-opened jugs.

I also have just 'started' doing dungeon runs (have recently had some good ones with guild mates :D) so I do not have a stock-pile of tokens saved up...

From what I understand my 2 best options would be to either purchase all 6 pieces from Karma vendors for 252k Karma or to get enough dungeon tokens to buy the full set - 1,380 tokens.

Seeing as I want soldier armor I would need to get all my tokens from either AC, SE or HoW - I'm guessing AC would be the easiest. As for Karma, I know I'll need to buy different pieces from different vendors to get a 'true' Soldier set. Right now I am only getting the Jugs from doing Dailies I believe.

So, which would be the easiest/fastest way to get my full exotic set?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Funny how you identified all the viable options but limited yourself to getting the full set from only one method!

Your easiest/fastest way to get your full exotic set would be to buy the pieces you can afford with karma with karma, the pieces you can afford with gold with gold, and save up dungeon tokens for the rest. On the TP, you can just search for "Solider's" armor directly.
There's no reason you need to get all 6 pieces from karma or all 6 from dungeons or all 6 from the TP.

Then you can, at whatever pace you please, obtain the skins you want and transmute everything to the look you want.

Luckily, SE1, SE3, HOTW1, and all three paths of AC (especially 1 and 2) are rather easy and fast. If you like the visual appearance of any of those sets, I'd head to them and get good at the runs- you'll earn oodles of gold in the process.

Another pro-tip: On the TP, do not limit yourself to level 80 exotics. Search for level 75-79 exotics for massive savings over level 80s for a ludicrously minor stat difference (hopefully you're not the min-maxing type... this game doesn't much reward it :p). As an added bonus, depending on what skin you want ultimately, you might be able to use regular transmutation stones on those pieces rather than Fine stones, which is always pleasant.

edit: Some relevant info/discrepancies...

Karma, besides dailies and monthlies, is earned from doing Events, Dungeons, Fractals that are below your personal Fractal level (help newbies!), and even Hearts.

Transmutation stones and Fine transmutation stones are earned from zone completion, rarely from completing your dailies/monthlies, and can be purchased in the gem store (of course, remember that you can buy anything in the gem store with gold).

edit again: Of course there's the matter of runes. If you have your mind set on a rune, consider looking for pieces on the TP that have it already, or choosing the dungeon/karma vendor that has the rune you want for the right pieces, etc. If you aren't worried about a rune set yet, then just focus on getting the pieces. :)

LkPr

Thanks for all of that Hawkian! LOL you're right I'm not really sure why I wasn't considering the whole mix/match process for the different Armor sets.

As for runes, I think I've decided on Superior Runes of the Dolyak so that is where all of my money is going to be spent heh

Fafnir

I'm FINALLY going to start working on getting at least 1 full exotic set (looking at a soldier set) and I am wondering which would be the easiest route?

What class are you? I'm not a fan of Soldiers stats as I think it's only good for a strictly w3 d/d elementalist. If you want tanky stats then I suggest Knights (T/Pow/Pre) which you can get from SE.

Levyne

Banned
Thanks for all of that Hawkian! LOL you're right I'm not really sure why I wasn't considering the whole mix/match process for the different Armor sets.

As for runes, I think I've decided on Superior Runes of the Dolyak so that is where all of my money is going to be spent heh

Dolyak runes are pretty good. I have a knight armor set with those if I need to be more tanky.

LkPr

What class are you? I'm not a fan of Soldiers stats as I think it's only good for a strictly w3 d/d elementalist. If you want tanky stats then I suggest Knights (T/Pow/Pre) which you can get from SE.

Ranger using Shortbow/Greatsword (berserker) 0/0/30/10/30 build

Was thinking Soldier armor - Dolyak runes and then Knight trinkets

Taffer

Does level 80 exotic Soldier's gear even appear on the TP? You can't craft it and the Karma/Dungeon token/WvW versions are all soulbound, no?

Levyne

Banned
Some Guild Mission info

Youtube

Blurb
February’s release will include the following mission types:

Guild Bounty – Your guild is tasked with tracking down and capturing various targets for the Orders. These people are wanted for a variety of reasons and have all sorts of tricks up their sleeves to resist arrest!

Guild Trek – Think you know Tyria? Well the Tyrian Explorer’s Society has a challenge for you! Find the list of locations before time runs out.

Guild Challenge – These challenges leverage our existing event system but are specifically geared to require multi-group, coordinated play to succeed. So gather your guild and see if you’re up to the challenge!

Guild Rush – Test your skills with a mad dash over harrowing terrain, traps, and other hidden dangers. Just remember, there’s safety in numbers!

Guild Puzzle – It’s a puzzle and a jumping challenge all in one! This mission type requires multi-group coordination as well as individual jumping skills to get to the treasure at the end.

“Those all sound super fun, but what do I get?” do I hear? Besides personal rewards, you will earn Guild Merits by completing missions. These Merits display your accomplishments in the guild panel and can be used to unlock new guild upgrades. This expanded unlock system will include new rewards like combo banners, gold find bonus, reduced waypoint costs and, of course, the missions themselves.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Does level 80 exotic Soldier's gear even appear on the TP? You can't craft it and the Karma/Dungeon token/WvW versions are all soulbound, no?
Oh fair enough. I think I've definitely seen the back pieces on the TP but if it can't be crafted I'm sure you're right.

Hey Taffer, did you get added to the guild?

edit: Can you only buy the armor in WvW with badges?

Arcteryx

Oh fair enough. I think I've definitely seen the back pieces on the TP but if it can't be crafted I'm sure you're right.

Yep, PVT armor/trinkets can be bought from WvW(just make sure you are level 80 otherwise you'll get the level 60 junk), there is also a rare backpiece on the TP(and some exotic/ascended rings from fractals), not to mention AC/HoTW(maybe karma gear too? I haven't really checked that). So a lot of ways of getting that armor stat setup.

Taffer

Not yet but I'm just levelling an alt ATM so there's no rush. I've been using the friends list to see if you or Retro are on (I remember your character's names) so I can bug you in-game but I went to bed early last night.

Yup, got Karma to spare and wanted some for my elementalist but was many badges short, ended up checking the map every 5 minutes to see which Orr temples were open instead. Still no leggings (not available from Orr), I need another few AC runs to finish that set off.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yep, PVT armor/trinkets can be bought from WvW(just make sure you are level 80 otherwise you'll get the level 60 junk), there is also a rare backpiece on the TP(and some exotic/ascended rings from fractals), not to mention AC/HoTW(maybe karma gear too? I haven't really checked that). So a lot of ways of getting that armor stat setup.
Yep to Karma.

I guess crafting is actually the only way it can't be obtained which as a matter of course means it isn't on the TP.

edit: Ooh, if you're in a hurry to get a piece of Karma gear, just try a quick guest hop to see if the one you need is open on another server (you can try 2 within a 24 hour period), Tarnished Coast is sort of the unofficial "everybody guest here" server in NA.

Taffer, you can just send one of us an in-game mail so that can see your character name and we'll be reminded to do it next time we're on. We don't have to be online to receive mail. :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
All the types sound damn good to me honestly.
Guild Bounty – Your guild is tasked with tracking down and capturing various targets for the Orders. These people are wanted for a variety of reasons and have all sorts of tricks up their sleeves to resist arrest!

Guild Trek – Think you know Tyria? Well the Tyrian Explorer’s Society has a challenge for you! Find the list of locations before time runs out.

Guild Challenge – These challenges leverage our existing event system but are specifically geared to require multi-group, coordinated play to succeed. So gather your guild and see if you’re up to the challenge!

Guild Rush – Test your skills with a mad dash over harrowing terrain, traps, and other hidden dangers. Just remember, there’s safety in numbers!

Guild Puzzle – It’s a puzzle and a jumping challenge all in one! This mission type requires multi-group coordination as well as individual jumping skills to get to the treasure at the end.
Guild Rush and Guild Puzzle sound the most intriguing to my playstyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom