• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm guessing its one of the wrong combinations for finishing the puzzle that zaps you up there then.
What's awesome is that (I played with this thing for about an hour :-x) it isn't that the right answer teleports you to the chest and a wrong answer teleports you somewhere randomly... every possible combination teleports you somewhere specific (some of them in the middle of a group of hostile mobs, hehe). Turns out there's a list of coordinates on the wiki. Most of them are to places you can get anyway, but that one... ;)

If you piece together the story from the data recorders, the Prof was trying to design a one-way Asura gate. Not just a basic teleporter like in CoE that has a permanent link to one location, but something you could reattune for any destination without needing an exit gate (at the risk of teleporting into a rock wall, as befell some of his test subjects).

One of my favorite puzzles in the game by far, and I just happened upon it randomly today in a zone I thought I had completely explored. Tyria <3

I've had this game for a while but I didn't get very far... because I don't really have anyone to play with =/ I tend to play MMO's for the social interaction with the gameplay rather than just the game itself.

I'm a monster... I know :(

etiolate

Banned
I've had this game for a while but I didn't get very far... because I don't really have anyone to play with =/ I tend to play MMO's for the social interaction with the gameplay rather than just the game itself.

I'm a monster... I know :(

Play with us? Are you in the guild?

Any open slots in the gaf guild? I got back into the game recently and would like to join anyone running the catacombs for dailies and I'd like to try out the guild dungeon.

Btw, is Anet ever going to fix the ranger boxes?

Katoki

Any open slots in the gaf guild? I got back into the game recently and would like to join anyone running the catacombs for dailies and I'd like to try out the guild dungeon.

Whisper or send an in-game mail to Gojira, Hawkian the Blade, Ashodin Venteal, Professor Retro, Katoki, Ferny or Hylia Skyloft to get an invite to the guild. Alternatively, you can leave your username.#### here.

I lurk here more than I am online these days.

Whisper or send an in-game mail to Gojira, Hawkian the Blade, Ashodin Venteal, Professor Retro, Katoki, Ferny or Hylia Skyloft to get an invite to the guild. Alternatively, you can leave your username.#### here.

I lurk here more than I am online these days.

Ok, my username is...... Rahaji.8312

Right then. Who's the clever bugger that came up the Griffinrook Run jumping puzzle/chest run? D:

Ah! That's the server. I'm hoping for an invite when I turn up soon. :D

You can get the achievement without opening the chest so if you're trying to knock all the jp achievements out, don't bother with the bomb and just take your time. Stuff in the chest isn't worth it, just a more challenging test for those that want more difficulty.

Retro

if we're going to do one of the new guild events on tuesday, please post beforehand what time

We don't know how much Influence it will cost or how it will even be activated. We think it will probably be like guild buffs or banners; you pay a chunk of influence to start research on it, then can either wait for it to finish or spend more influence to speed it up. Depending on how ArenaNet wants to gate these, it may be cost prohibitive to rush them.

Maybe when the patch notes drop (hopefully today) we'll be able to figure it out, but until then our tentative plan is to wait and see.

Ok, my username is...... Rahaji.8312

FYI, looks like you were invited sometime overnight, but haven't accepted the invite. Check your guild panel to accept.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So awhile back I made this post, most of which will be deprecated upon the Tuesday patch because of previewing from the TP, although the section on how to interpret items by name in GW2 will always be helpful. :)

However, previewing from the TP is still not going to cover all the bases when deciding on your ultimate gear skins! Here are some of the reasons why:

-Dungeon gear will never be on the TP
-Cultural armor and weapons will never be on the TP
-Unique skins from Karma Vendors, the most notable of which being the Orr temple gear, will never be on the TP
-While you can camp out at the dungeon vendors and open a TP window to mix and match, you still won't be able to mix and match everything this way

For those that don't know, the in-game gear previewer is pretty awesome (and even better after Feb. 26th). As long as you keep the window open, you can preview piece-by-piece to get the set you want. This is a great way to plan out the look you want and then start playing towards it.

So that's where the new Argos Soft Galleries come in. These are really good tools, for both armor and weapons. First, the links:

Argos Soft Armor Gallery
Argos Soft Weapon Gallery
Argos Soft Dye Gallery (codes to preview/names to buy from TP)

They might not have literally everything yet, but they're damn close.

First, for armor:
jwuVOnV4Oa9IL.png

Obviously, the interface is pretty straightforward. Pick your character's gender, armor class, race, and a dye color to see all the armor options. I prefer to go with the white/black dye mix because it will give you a much better impression of how the pieces of an armor set are able to be dyed. Once you start previewing stuff in-game, you can also use the dye gallery to try out the actual colors you want!

Also, the icons in the upper left of an armor set show the methods by which it can be acquired (PvP, TP, Personal Story rewards, Karma Vendors pictured- there's also Crafting, WvW, Cultural Armor vendors, and Dungeon Vendors).

If you click onto a set, you can see what it's called and what each indivdidual piece is called as well. At the bottom, you can even click to expand tabs that show you the stats, the specific methods of acquisition (i.e.: how many dungeon tokens it'll cost to get a piece, from which vendor), and most importantly, get an in-game link you can whisper to yourself to preview on your own character.

j3hBGTicDGEsA.png

Why Would I Want To Preview Like This/Mix and Match Sets?

Lots of reasons!

First of all, and this is a matter of opinion, but while the dyes let you add a surprising amount of variety to full sets that would otherwise be identical, I find it more enjoyable to find a good-looking mix of different sets that lets you wind up with a more unique appearance in the end. Not all pieces look good together, but finding the ones that work is part of the fun. So much of the "endgame" in this thing is cosmetic, and hunting for the coolest look contributes to the challenge.

Secondly, there's the practical aspect. It's just more time-consuming and boring to try and get your whole set from the same place. Whether it means running the same dungeon the whole time or using up every drop of karma you have- it often makes less sense to go for every piece of your set the same way than go get some from each of the options available, and then transmute the ones that don't look the way you want them to if necessary.

Finally, and this is the biggest thing for me- some armor pieces are very cool and detailed, but are totally obscured or even eliminated when worn "as intended." I really like the shape of the knee plates on the SE light armor boots (sorry for the crappy dark pic):
jBao3HMpS55JA.png

But if you wear the full SE set, you literally can't see the plates at all!
ju8MJWDUPx7tH.png

So mixing and matching can actually let you see parts of armor pieces that you wouldn't be able to wearing a full set. There are more extreme examples- the CoF medium shoulders are literally invisible when wearing the medium coat. But they're a great way to add a touch of flame to plenty of other medium armor sets.

The Argos Weapon gallery is similar but much more straightforward. It's also less complete at the moment, but he seems to be adding more day by day. The basic way to view is by weapon type, but you can also organize by the visual sets available in-game by clicking on "Show More Sets."
j5Rjw8e0W9H9z.png

Remember, Cultural Armor can only be worn by its respective race, but Cultural Weapons can be wielded by anyone (and they tend to be quite cool).

With the ability to preview from the TP and expanded preview options in general, there are going to be more options than ever for putting together your desired look. Have fun and be sure to post pics of your characters when you get them done!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can you still use any cultural weapon? I thought they patched that out.
That would make the Peacemaker scepter my Sylvari Mesmer is wielding contraband, then!

No, this still works and I don't think it was addressed in any patch to my knowledge

Cromat

I don't know if this is a perfectly legitimate question but should I get this game?
Is it good like the first one? Is it daunting for new players? Can I play it casually and have fun or will it devour my life?

Thanks

etiolate

Banned
They made scepter changes? Or you just need a new skin?

Getting a new skin is all. Scepter is still meh. I just had the Honor the Waves scepter and it's kind of dull looking with no effects.

It's time to stop paying money for the right to prove that you're better than your enemies. Starting with tomorrow's update, Guild Wars 2 is abolishing Paid Tournaments altogether, replacing them with Free Tournaments. Free Tournaments will be available in 1-round and 3-round formats for players, with the winning team in a 1-round tournament receiving a reward chest. Any unused Tournament Tickets can be redeemed for special reward boxes from a Ticket Merchant NPC.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/25/guild-wars-2-frees-up-tournaments-for-all/

I like this change. The paid system is redundant with ranking and now I can put all my tickets to use!

Jira

I don't know if this is a perfectly legitimate question but should I get this game?
Is it good like the first one? Is it daunting for new players? Can I play it casually and have fun or will it devour my life?

Thanks

I'll copy/paste what I said elsewhere:

Personally I have never played another game that has given me the level of diversity in terms of gameplay types as GW2 has over the past 6 months. They've given us the best holiday events in gaming and even though they are only in the game once a year they took the time to create unique gameplay experiences.

In October during Halloween the Mad King made an appearance for the first time in over 200 years. We got a scavenger hunt that took you across many zones in Kryta, doors that spawned throughout Kryta where you could trick or treat at, 2 PvP modes (one was a last man standing mode and the other was a small scale MOBA), a PvE labyrinth with all kinds of mobs to kill, an extremely challenging jumping puzzle, a dungeon where you got to fight the Mad King who had some of the catchiest dialog in the game. On Halloween itself the Mad King came into LA and played Mad King Says which was essentially Simon Says and he gave out a town clothing item. After that he would walk around telling horribly corny, but funny jokes. Oh I also forgot to mention that the Mad King destroyed the statue in the middle of Lion's Arch and it had to be rebuilt over the past three patches.

During this time they redecorated the entirety of Lions Arch and the Heart of the Mists, added new music, new voice work, new art assets, and more. They do this for every holiday event.

In November they gave us the Lost Shores which was a one time event over a weekend that had an entire lead up to the event with posters, warning signs, beached whales, and other things in Lion's Arch. The Karka came and attacked LA, they destroyed the lighthouse and we fought them back to Southsun Cove which was a new zone. We trailblazed through the island cutting down trees and building bridges all the while setting up camps and waypoints. This eventually lead to a multi-hour event where we pushed the Karka king down into a cave and killed him. His corpse is still there and the aforementioned events will never transpire again. The lighthouse is currently being built off to the side from the original broken one and should be completed this Tuesday with the patch.

In December they gave us Wintersday. This spanned about three weeks during each day for a week a large golem ship could be seen from a certain city. You would then go into the golem ship which was called Tixx's Workshop. In there you would complete certain objectives and be rewarded with materials that would later help you create some minipets of your choosing. Later on during the event a tower defense/horde mode style game opened up. Besides that they also put in another jumping puzzle, a CTF PvP map with unique classes similar to TF2, there was a rockband style minigame that you could play with a handbell. Out in the world there were presents scattered around where toys would pop out and you'd kill them and collect presents as well as snow machines where you could build snowmen.

The January patch was the smallest patch we've had, was mainly a lot of base systems stuff going in for this coming patch on the 26th as well as a lot of quality of life improvements. They did add the Living Story system which is currently a four part arc called The Frost & Flame. Currently it's in a prelude which has added new npcs and buildings to 2 cities as well as some new events and npcs in two nearby zones. Each Monday the Living Story progresses and thus far it has been subtle but interesting. Though I think this Monday the bridge between the prelude and the Gathering Storm is going to get things moving. So as I said the Living Story is a four part arc where the world is going to change and you're going to run into characters who won't be around forever so things will happen in the world and it will leave a permanent impact on Tyria. After this arc is over they'll move into a new story. They also revamped Orr to make it a hell of a lot nicer to play in.

All that I mentioned there isn't even the half of it though, there's so much more that they've put into the game that I didn't even touch upon. I'll give you a link below to the patch notes for each patch so you can look over them to get an idea of the things that have been added.

The February patch (this Tuesday)

*5 Guild Mission types

*New Guild Influence rewards

*Guild Merit rewards

*Personal Guild rewards

*All AC bosses redone

*Some world bosses redone

*Fixed a bug with loot credit on high HP mobs

*Living Story is going to progress in a big way post-prelude

*New sPvP map

*New rated sPvP system

*Preview items on the TP

*Choose your own Daily Achievements with an aim to have many unique achievements to choose from with very little overlap throughout the month.

*Change to WvW where only when 25+ people are trying to take an objective will you see the orange crossed swords on the map so that smaller groups are able to sneak around and capture things without worry of a giant zerg rolling them within 2 min of sneezing on a gate. (that was one hell of a run on sentence but eh)

This is only what we know for the Feb patch too, they usually keep stuff from us.

The March patch is a major WvW update with some form of progression systems and a passive system to help augment WvW related systems.

April will no doubt see an April Fools event if ANet's history is anything to go by.

They're giving us monthly content updates for free and the upcoming Guild Missions is a feature that other MMO devs would put in an expansion for a bullet point on their box yet we get it in a couple days for nothing.

*October patch notes - https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/Update-Notes-October-22-2012

*November patch notes - https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/Game-Update-Notes-November-15-2012

*December patch notes - https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/Game-Update-Notes-December-14-2012

*January patch notes - https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/Game-Update-Notes-January-28-2013

Simply put for $60 you will not find another game that is updated as often, with such love, and diversity as you will GW2.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What's worse than only having a half-hour to play and scrambling to get your dailies before the reset?

Only having a half-hour to play, scrambling to get your dailies, and failing.

Curse you, Hylek. All that tree spirit wanted to do was go home.

Thanks
You should definitely get it, especially with this sale, the value is ludicrous.

I played and loved GW1 a lot. It's very different, but I believe this game to be objectively better.

It's no more daunting than GW1 for new players. It's easy to jump in and get your hands dirty, but it's best to join a great community to help you out and answer questions (like us!).

Yes you can play it casually and have fun, and yes it will take over your life ;)

Scum

You can get the achievement without opening the chest so if you're trying to knock all the jp achievements out, don't bother with the bomb and just take your time. Stuff in the chest isn't worth it, just a more challenging test for those that want more difficulty.

I got the achievement. Tried the bomb run a few times and just gave up. Might give it another go some other time.

Complistic

They covered all the reasons, I'll just say the amount and quality of content you're getting with this game absolutely shames every other game I've ever played.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I have no idea what I'm doing XD
Hehe, just explore :D Have you messaged anybody about a guild invite yet? We're great for questions.
Brought my laptop to 20-30 fps =( even on performance graphics =(
Aw! What kind of GPU does your laptop have?
Awesome! I've always wanted to try this as I recently had a computer built. I have no friends playing this so hopefully you guys don't mind some more new blood once I get it.
We thrive on new blood. If you know what I mean.

I mean that we are vampires.

Jira

Bah. I forgot. It's Scum.7263 for an invite please. :3

Invited.

So a couple bits of info came out today.

Tomorrow will introduce 20-30 new daily achievements to the overall pool.

Gifting of gem shop items will be coming in the near future.

February will expand on the Living Story, but March is when we will see it really come into its own with new characters being introduced to the world.

ANet is currently discussing the issue of condition caps and have a couple ideas on how to fix them. Once they figure out the solution that has the least affect on balance and performance the will implement it. Tied to that is also making conditions work on objects in the world. That bit could be in the March patch.

Along with the new sPvP map and sPvP rating systems comes a change to the Tournament system where all Tournaments are now free with no more pay options. This goes hand in hand with the new rating system.

ANet is also currently working on a number of new sPvP maps where the primary objective is something other than Capture Point. The map coming tomorrow is the first using that new style of map design where the secondary mechanic is Capture Point and the primary is CTF.

One last thing is at some point after tomorrow's patch they're going to roll out an in-game Leaderboard system (presumably for sPvP) so you can see where you rank against other people in the world. Based on the wording this might be rolled out week to week between the Feb-March patches.

etiolate

Banned
Now that they have leaderboards and are working on non-Cap point maps, they just need to improve trait design and sPvP will be in a good place. Of course, there's balance, but that's a known project, and the balance in the game is still better than other MMOs.

And now screenshot hijinx.

edit: DORP

GrizzNKev

Banned
I know this is weird for me to pop in here, but...

I've been working very hard these last 7-8 months so I haven't had much time to play GW2. Now that I'm only a few weeks away from finishing my second game project it's time to start looking for work to stay occupied and make some money during the summer.

I went in to talk to my school's career services person, and after a bit of discussion she's decided to do something unusual and put me in direct contact with ArenaNet's recruiter.

About to send a message on linkedin. Wish me luck or something.

etiolate

Banned
I approve of all bunny murders

looks like you just used URL instead of IMG?

You're right. I fubbed up and clicked the wrong box, didn't look and just slapped post.

I am now very curious how they will handle the personal rating for sPVP. I hope it doesn't lead towards people playing in a way that garners points or if the system rewards bunkering or such more than whatever else spvp can even cough up.

Jira

You're right. I fubbed up and clicked the wrong box, didn't look and just slapped post.

I am now very curious how they will handle the personal rating for sPVP. I hope it doesn't lead towards people playing in a way that garners points or if the system rewards bunkering or such more than whatever else spvp can even cough up.

It's probably as simple as Win vs Loss in terms of points gained/lost.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Goddamn, looks like there's no way I'm getting the monthly achievement done in the next couple of days. After *attempting* to do two dungeons but my groups failing miserably at every one the other day for 3 hours, I had to deal with a power outrage this morning.. and now I won't have internet tomorrow morning either. (aka the only times I'm able to play the game) #FML.

At least the update sounds awesome!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I know this is weird for me to pop in here, but...

I've been working very hard these last 7-8 months so I haven't had much time to play GW2. Now that I'm only a few weeks away from finishing my second game project it's time to start looking for work to stay occupied and make some money during the summer.

I went in to talk to my school's career services person, and after a bit of discussion she's decided to do something unusual and put me in direct contact with ArenaNet's recruiter.

About to send a message on linkedin. Wish me luck or something.
Good luck, although I must in the interest of full disclosure inform you that this luck is tinged with abject jealousy.
Goddamn, looks like there's no way I'm getting the monthly achievement done in the next couple of days. After *attempting* to do two dungeons but my groups failing miserably at every one the other day for 3 hours, I had to deal with a power outrage this morning.. and now I won't have internet tomorrow morning either. (aka the only times I'm able to play the game) #FML.

At least the update sounds awesome!
Damn, morning in what time zone? You could knock out 5 runs so fast with a GAF group!

Me, I gotta salvage.
Personally, I think the HoTW boots look better with the T3 than the T3 boots.

Yay Nephenee colors!
Very nice, and Khrysaor is looking elegant as ever...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom