• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Looks like the press embargo is lifting;

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/02/26/flameseeker-chronicles-the-gathering-storm-preview/

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=31921

The first of the Guild Mission types that can be unlocked is the Bounty Hunt mission. At a whopping 50,000 Influence to unlock (with 200 Influence per mission build) there are obvious issues for smaller guilds. There is plenty more to come on that issue later.

The missions are split into three tiers. In Tier 1, you get two bounties that you need to complete within 15 minutes. For each NPC you get a cryptic clue that will test the lore and map knowledge of your guild to decide where to go hunting.

In Tier 2, you will have to chase down four named NPCs in the same time. At Tier 3, an improbable seven bounties will test guilds with even the largest resources of players to complete.

The NPCs can spawn in one of many points across the map so expect lots of “/MAP: Has anyone seen…?” going on. I wonder if, once the spawn points have been memorized, this gives a large guild an advantage by parking people all across those points to quickly hunt down the target.

Once you find the NPC you can start the fight which is scaled in the same way as other dynamic events. If two or more guilds are on the same mission, as long as you have one member of your guild involved when the killing blow is struck, your guild will get credit.

Upon completion you receive the popup chest bonus (such as when you complete 100% of a map) which will contain two items with a minimum of rare quality.

And by minimum, yes, I mean you will have a chance at exotics and pre-cursors (confirmed by ArenaNet Game Designer Anthony Ordon).
Ordon stressed that the weekly lockout was intended to make sure that the missions were a one night a week thing for guilds to do and the limitations set were to prevent guild missions being something that people felt they had to grind constantly.
If you have just the first type of Guild Missions unlocked it will take you at least six weeks to accrue enough commendations to get ascended accessories... If you have all the missions unlocked, it will take you two, though there is a chunk of gold needed to go along with those commendations.

After we ran around as a gang of about 15, it became obvious that a lot of coordination would be required even on the first tier of bounties.
I won’t spoil [guild puzzles] for you, but it will certainly challenge many guilds initially, especially as the whole puzzle has to be completed in 20 minutes. The design of the event is quite incredible, with the kind of hand crafted excellence that you would expect from the game at its best.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey we have like double what we need to unlock that already! Score.

So maybe we queue it up and then schedule an event to actually do the mission sometime over the weekend, when the most people could attend?
edit: Oh damn.

You will also receive a not-to-be-sniffed-at 50 silver. You can only receive one chest for each mission type per week. But still, with each mission type giving the same level of reward the first time you participate (except Guild Treks as they are essentially a bit of fun and only reward Guild Merits). That means you will have the chance to get 2g plus eight shots at rare gear or better each week if you have all of the content unlocked.
Keep that influence comin'!!!

edit: Also damn
28a2ec2506295c229975a76325707077.jpg

Retro

Hey we have like double what we need to unlock that already! Score.

So maybe we queue it up and then schedule an event to actually do the mission sometime over the weekend, when the most people could attend?

Yeah, I'm glad we jumped on the Influence hoarding early rather than trying to get a bunch now. I can see us having influence drives even more in the future. After all, if everyone donates one gold, even amongst our regularly active players that's 20-30k influence.

And yeah, this will definitely have to be something we schedule in advance so we can get as many people involved as possible. If we have a ton of people on tonight (as we usually do when new content is pushed) we might be able to swing one, but I'm not 100% sure. It sounds like they can be done with 15-20 people.

Either way, exciting times ahead.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Welp, definitely just go for it if you can but I won't be able to attend tonight. Back to my regularly scheduled play tomorrow though!

These all sound really legitimately challenging, some of them stunningly complex with brand new content from the sound of things, and really worthwhile rewards. I am psyched!

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Yeah, I'm glad we jumped on the Influence hoarding early rather than trying to get a bunch now. I can see us having influence drives even more in the future. After all, if everyone donates one gold, even amongst our regularly active players that's 20-30k influence.

And yeah, this will definitely have to be something we schedule in advance so we can get as many people involved as possible. If we have a ton of people on tonight (as we usually do when new content is pushed) we might be able to swing one, but I'm not 100% sure. It sounds like they can be done with 15-20 people.

Aren't they restricted to only one event a week per guild? Meaning that it would be wise to schedule an event in advance instead?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Aren't they restricted to only one event a week per guild? Meaning that it would be wise to schedule an event in advance instead?
It's one event per type per week, but yes, generally it would be a good idea for us to schedule them in a similar way to how we schedule our internal guild events, with at least a few days' notice and reminders. I believe Retro was saying that the guild is likely to have a lot of active members on tonight without needing to be informed to log on, which is probably true, and it'd make for a good crowd for a mission.

But hey, I'd much prefer we schedule our first one for this weekend or something cause I won't be able to play tonight anyway. :p

Retro

You guys are fine, it's perfectly reasonable to wait until the weekend. I just know that we'll have a lot of people on tonight and it being the shiny & new, people will want to do it. But yeah, in terms of potential influence gain (remember, you gain influence for doing things together as a guild) I'd rather have a glut of people doing them on the weekends though. So we'll wait.

Lunar15

You guys are fine, it's perfectly reasonable to wait until the weekend. I just know that we'll have a lot of people on tonight and it being the shiny & new, people will want to do it. But yeah, in terms of potential influence gain (remember, you gain influence for doing things together as a guild) I'd rather have a glut of people doing them on the weekends though. So we'll wait.

Not to mention, people will have other content to check out, such as the new AC boss revamp, more Living Story events, among other things.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Not to mention, people will have other content to check out, such as the new AC boss revamp, more Living Story events, among other things.
Who even knows what other things!! Plus, there's the tooling around with the new achievement system- tell the truth, who's going for the rest of the first batch after you get your daily reward? I love Patch Day.

grumble grumble wish I could play grumble.

Retro

What have you heard?! TELL US!

Yeah, I have a feeling with Guild Missions these are a Hurry up and Wait-type situation. We'll definitely be trying to do them regularly, and probably on a schedule, but I don't think we're going to break the bank trying to unlock all of them immediately.

Besides, some of those sound tough, so we'll want to ease into them and learn the way they work first. 7 bosses in 15 minutes? Yikes.

grumble grumble wish I could play grumble.

Cease all meaningful relationships, disavow your family and work from home. The only person stopping you is you. And Comcast.

Lunar15

What have you heard?! TELL US!

More Mossman.

A wisp told me.

But seriously, we all know everyone's just going to be spending all their time previewing stuff in the Trading Post. And complaining. Wouldn't be an update without some good complaining.

Hope the cool it down with all the new currencies.

Everything looks interesting. Look forward to trying out everything this evening.

Tonight we should do AC guild events instead. It can be an unofficial guild event.

Happy I can get back ascended back peices without using ectos!!!

Just make mist essence, glob and shards drop in other areas so I can upgraded my ascended items easier.

nataku

I hope they randomize the spawns for the boss missions.

It'd be nice if the bosses interacted with existing DEs, too. It would be pretty neat to hunt down a later tier boss only to see he's wrecking a centaur camp. Adds to the challenge, too.

Retro

Happy I can get back ascended back peices without using ectos!!!

You can do that now, with Laurels.

They've said that they will be randomly selected and randomly placed, but obviously there's only so many places they can put them. Eventually, there will be a wiki with all of their positions mapped out, but for the first few weeks it will be fun.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You can do that now, with Laurels.
You can get back pieces with laurels?
Nope, big ol' wrong on that one (unless they're adding them with this patch).

It also doesn't say anything about being able to get them with Commendatios (it mentions exotic back pieces and ascended accessories), but maybe I'm missing something.
looks like I am going to have to work on my World Completion if I plan on participating in these Missions
Hmm, how come?

Unless you mean in the more general "completion" sense of "being familiar with the world" when it gives you hints about where to go. I definitely look forward to putting my embarrassing knowledge of Tyria to good use.

It'd be nice if the bosses interacted with existing DEs, too. It would be pretty neat to hunt down a later tier boss only to see he's wrecking a centaur camp. Adds to the challenge, too.

Seems like they might be randomized in the zones but always in same zone so at some point wiki will have all the possible locations.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
But seriously, we all know everyone's just going to be spending all their time previewing stuff in the Trading Post. And complaining. Wouldn't be an update without some good complaining.
I am particularly eager to see how the official forums manage to complain in equal measure about the choose-your-own-achievement system.

I can definitely see some of the guild missions, especially bounties, running up into the paths of ongoing DEs will hopefully hilarious consequences.

Retro

I'm surprised there hasn't been an implosion about Paid PVP being removed, from all the people who have put gems into them already...

... probably because not many people take sPVP seriously. =\

Retro

It's not 100% clear those are back pieces. The exotics are, but then you have a pen, a shell, a mug....back pieces?

They're accessories. You can see the Accessory tag in the screenshot in the zam article. You have to squint, I was trying to sharpen it in Photoshop but it's loaded with jpeg artifacts and the size is pathetic, even for a gaming site. But you can clearly make out "Ascended / Accessory / account bound / soulbound on use".

Also, kind of glanced over it but I just noticed this in the GW2hub article;
There are a total of 150 Guild Treks to participate in.

Wow. Wowwie wow wow wow.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
12 commendations for ascended back peice. Look at guildwars2hub preview.
Scoooore.
I'm surprised there hasn't been an implosion about Paid PVP being removed, from all the people who have put gems into them already...

This change does a solid job of making the prospect of playing more sPvP less intimidating to me, which I imagine was a general intention. On the whole, though, I really just haven't explored sPvP much because there's so much else to do. So many complaints about this game I can sympathize with, but "I don't know what to do when I log in" is not one I'm ever likely to share :p I don't have enough time in the day to pop into WvW nearly as much as I'd like as it stands, let alone adding sPvP to the mix.

I must say, though, the few matches of sPvP I've played with my Mesmer have been pretty darn cool. People really have no clue what the hell is going on when fighting one.

edit: 150 uh, wow.

Retro

That GW2hub article is loaded with useful tidbits;

Where many people might think “Oh well eventually, it will be on Wiki anyway” this is inevitably true, but ArenaNet have implemented such a huge navigation path to the NPC’s that you could spend 15 minutes searching an entire zone, even when you know they are there. In addition, the Bounty you get every time you activate the mission is random, adding another spanner in the work..

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn.

So it's not at all out of the question that randoms out in the world will stumble across your bounty before anyone in the guild even spots it. Expect "uhhh what's this?!" in Map chat and people gathering organically to help take down spawns from Guild missions... and more than one guild with that bounty active can get credit from the kill.

Just, damn.
In many ways Guild Missions provide a clear framework for guilds to undertake fun activities as a group, as opposed to requiring Officers or Guild Leaders to think of spontaneous activities for their guild to participate in.
Hahaha.. don't worry guys, we're still gonna have those too!

edit: You're right, Retro, TONS of good info in this piece.

-No guild missions in Orr. I like that; the revamped Orr really is kind of awesome now, and it has the real sense of ongoing struggle you can participate in that they were going for originally. Easier to jump in and hunt and get rewarded, without neutering it completely, and there's plenty to do, so no need to clutter it up with guild missions when there's so much space in the rest of the world.
-All guild bounties are Champions (coincides nicely with the Champion loot credit fix).
-Guild Bounties (and guild missions generally) have lore. This is genius. Stuff like this might not matter to you or even to the majority of the gaming base, but I love that they give you a reason you're supposed to be tracking and killing a random mob rather than just "for this many points."

That said, assuming the bounties don't just turn green and let you capture them rather than actually die, I don't think we're really going to be able to question little Trillia here...
GuildBounty.png

-Definitely sounding like the Guild Challenges will have some of the toughest content in the game so far! Really psyched for us to tackle it :D

Though I don't think Ascended back pieces are purchasable by commendations Kos :p

Proven

I'd be willing to mail one of you a gold piece (can't access the same bank with my home server being Kaineg).

Because hardly anybody put real money into it. A lot of people weren't ever going to buy tickets with real money, and anyone that did buy tickets with gems used either in-game gold or the hundreds of gems you could earn from winning paid tournaments. It's partially because tickets were getting hard to come by for anyone in the middle tier of skill (strong enough to not do hotjoin all the time, but too weak or without a team to win paid tournaments consistently enough) and couldn't participate enough, which meant paids were dying a slow death. Switching to 1-round paid tournaments and lowering the entry fee to 1 ticket fixed all of this, but since people were never ever going to buy tickets with real money still, they just decided to remove the pretense with this update.

I'm also guessing that spectator mode and private servers are taking even longer to get out, which means they definitely started giving out Qualifying Points waaaaaaaaaaay too early, and need to cut off the flow since it became a mechanic where the people with points got a ton more points.

Lunar15

Can't wait for guilds to start failing missions and start complaining because, god forbid, they did not complete a piece of content on the first try.

Levyne

Banned
I'n just gonna wait for some lucky guy to get a precursor while the forums explode into madness as everyone demands compensation.

nataku

Glad to read this. I didn't really want a situation where people just camp known spawn points in all possible zones, so hearing people have to actually hunt a bit even if they know the zone is nice.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can't wait for guilds to start failing missions and start complaining because, god forbid, they did not complete a piece of content on the first try.
This is gonna be good. From the sound of things, some of the content (especially the timed puzzles and the guild challenges) is tougher than anything in any of the explorable dungeons.

Failure is just incentive to do better next time ;)
I'n just gonna wait for some lucky guy to get a precursor while the forums explode into madness as everyone demands compensation.
I saw someone claim, a couple days after the achievement change in the last patch, that you should get a laurel just for logging in once a day. At first I thought it was satirical (because so many people were asking for the achievments to get easier, because getting ascended gear is so difficult and so important), but nope. Dead serious. "Why should I have to do anything specific in-game that I don't want to?"

LkPr

Nope, big ol' wrong on that one (unless they're adding them with this patch).

It also doesn't say anything about being able to get them with Commendatios (it mentions exotic back pieces and ascended accessories), but maybe I'm missing something.

Hmm, how come?

Unless you mean in the more general "completion" sense of "being familiar with the world" when it gives you hints about where to go. I definitely look forward to putting my embarrassing knowledge of Tyria to good use.

Yes thinking about my completion. I have only completed 45% and there are numerous maps in which I have not even been to yet... so way point jumping could be an issue

Giard

ANet said:
Guild Missions can be unlocked by spending influence within your guild panel. The first tier of Bounty costs 30,000 influence to unlock (a steep price but certainly one to work towards) with other tiers costing 50,000. Once unlocked, the Guild Mission can be activated for an additional cost of 200 influence per attempt.
Goddamn. That and needing level 5 upgrades? RIP every small guild. Kinda disappointed by this.

Ferny

People who have tested this have said the only hurdle for small guilds is like the initial influence amount. They can be done with five people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom