• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You can hold the back button and use a mouse to quickly do this stuff which is nice, but it feels kind of awkward using the controller and mouse at the same time, especially if you have to lean forward.
D:

Right-click on your mouse and use it like normal when you want to use your mouse. Maybe we need to make that clearer in the docs... what you're doing sounds unbearable!
That skill is pretty much a wasted slot on the bar and that's a pretty big hit on the weapon. They should either increase the damage it does, or make it cause some kind of condition...cripple would seem appropriate for something coming out of the ground or maybe bleeding.
Well actually, if the boon rip applies to all three of the targets, it's a pretty substantial buff. It has a lot more utility now, and while of course I'd like it to do more damage, 2, 4, and 5 are such fantastic skills it's hard to argue that it's really that underpowered in context.
Trey said:
I couldn't tell you. I skip everything but Kholer.
Egads! You're missing out on ~20 silver if you use GF food!

Anno

Hawkian-led runs are the best 'cause literally every enemy in the dungeon is systematically hunted down and killed for whatever they may have =)

Hawkian-led runs are the best 'cause literally every enemy in the dungeon is systematically hunted down and killed for whatever they may have =)

Annnnd now I picture a tiny theif scouring the corners of every dungeon and fractal looking for the one evasive bastard that killed his father a-la Inigo Montoya.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hell yeah! I mean they're there, who knows what shiny stuff might pop out!

Exceptions made for the Destroyer stampede in CoE 3 and the spider-dredge-bridge nightmare in SE3.

D:

Right-click on your mouse and use it like normal when you want to use your mouse. Maybe we need to make that clearer in the docs... what you're doing sounds unbearable!

Well actually, if the boon rip applies to all three of the targets, it's a pretty substantial buff. It has a lot more utility now, and while of course I'd like it to do more damage, 2, 4, and 5 are such fantastic skills it's hard to argue that it's really that underpowered in context.

Egads! You're missing out on ~20 silver if you use GF food!

You can just right click the mouse to swap over to it? :0 :0 :0 It was unbearable! I put up with it because of how intuitive using skills felt but god it was awful playing with my inventory and even scaling out and quickly jumping around the map. Going to try this now! Thanks! Glad I complained haha

IF this is the skill that got the triple hit, then strip boon on three targets isn't terrible but it's still not very good. How often is that an issue with mobs? The only enemies I fight where boons are a factor are bosses/champions. Give me a damage boost or swap strip boon out for cripple or bleed and it's instantly useful in all situations.

Jira

Does the chain fight in GE wreck everyone's FPS or is it just me? Went to kite last night and dropped to like 6 FPS for the entire fight. I normally get 50-60 at max settings.

This is a known shader issue and they're working on it.

Trey

I know you like to sterilize dungeons, Hawkian. That's just not my steelo. A few extra silver is no mind to me. I'm doing dungeons for the content I enjoy, but primarily for the comp award.

This is a known shader issue and they're working on it.

Oh god that just reminded me. My fps choked and died during that. Good to know Anet is aware or that problem.

Retro

Just learned that you can't guest on other servers for Guild Missions... so I won't be doing any with you guys. :/

The mission rewards themselves no, but a lot of the events have chests at the end that anyone can get. At the very least it's an excuse to hang out with GAFers. We don't bite. Okay, we bite, but not hard. Okay, we do bite hard, but we don't draw blood. Okay, we draw blood, but we swear we don't have any blood-borne diseases. Okay, you know what? Nevermind, just don't hang out with us, that's probably safer for you.

Astra

Just learned that you can't guest on other servers for Guild Missions... so I won't be doing any with you guys. :/

Ah damn, I was going to ask about that. I'm not on the same server as the GAF Guild. Ah well, guess I'll just stick to the twosome I got going with a friend.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You can do them with us (and the Puzzles really look like they'll be worth checking out for fun and creativity alone), but you can't get commendations for your "satellite" guild. :(
Ah damn, I was going to ask about that. I'm not on the same server as the GAF Guild. Ah well, guess I'll just stick to the twosome I got going with a friend.
Are you interested in a transfer? I'm always up for holding fundraisers to get people over (it being a little unique that you can buy server transfers with in-game gold, IMO).

Trey

JQ GAF am cry.

Seriously though, that's shitty. First thing I've been disappointed with in this game. All in all, not a bad deal.

etiolate

Banned
They changed Mind Stab; it can now hit up to three targets... or wait... the #3 chain skill on the one handed sword is called Mind Stab too... huh. Not sure which got the buff then.

It was the chain skill on sword and they also added a bit of spell effect to it much like the third chain on MH Sword for Guardians. It's basically the same split magic swords effect, but now it's pink instead of bluish-white.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It was the chain skill on sword and they also added a bit of spell effect to it much like the third chain on MH Sword for Guardians. It's basically the same split magic swords effect, but now it's pink instead of bluish-white.
Weird. I didn't know that could only hit one target before (or was this a nerf from 5?)

have you not done many dungeons? CoE isn't a good place to start.
No, I haven't. I've been playing since launch but have spent pretty much all of that time running around the world map, leveling characters and getting "hearts," which was sort of how I played GW1. The only dungeon I'd done before that was AC, and that was only a few days ago.

Oh, Broos? The aoe mechanic in the dungeon is weird and different. Once you get it, it's no problem.

Basically, when Alpha puts up his icy double ring aoe, the trick is to NOT MOVE (usually). The earth ring will miss you. You still have to avoid the fire aoe, but for the double circles it's often safe just to stand flat out in the middle of them.

There IS a small chance he will single you out and you will get a central ice spike (where you want to move) and not the earth circle (where you don't.) If you have to guess, just don't move.

Also, CoE 2 is probably the hardest path imo. Downhill from here if you want to go again.

EDIT: If you do CoE 1, you don't even need to worry about ANY of that. It's so easy.
See, that I did not know. I remember one of you saying something like "everyone know how AoE works?" and me thinking "uh yeah, when you see the red circle get out of it ASAP" so I didn't say anything. I guess I should have read up on it, instead of assuming the game mechanics were applied universally.

Giard

The mission rewards themselves no, but a lot of the events have chests at the end that anyone can get. At the very least it's an excuse to hang out with GAFers. We don't bite. Okay, we bite, but not hard. Okay, we do bite hard, but we don't draw blood. Okay, we draw blood, but we swear we don't have any blood-borne diseases. Okay, you know what? Nevermind, just don't hang out with us, that's probably safer for you.
:lol
Ahhh, well then I might still do a couple for the chests.

You can do them with us (and the Puzzles really look like they'll be worth checking out for fun and creativity alone), but you can't get commendations for your "satellite" guild. :(
No commendations is disappointing, but not the end of the world.

JQ GAF am cry.

Seriously though, that's shitty. First thing I've been disappointed with in this game. All in all, not a bad deal.
I'm on Northern Shiverpeaks :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
rofl...

Logged on, did Shadow Behemoth, Shatterer and Jormag. Got 4 rares total (and a rare orb for jewelcrafting).

According to GW2spidy, Globs of Ectoplasm are at an all-time low. I see no reason why they should not continue to drop steadily.

Levyne

Banned
New kholer fight is really really fun. Even if just a small tweak, I enjoyed it a lot.

Ghost eater? Ehh, maybe. Kind of like?

Astra

Are you interested in a transfer? I'm always up for holding fundraisers to get people over (it being a little unique that you can buy server transfers with in-game gold, IMO).

You can buy a transfer with in-game gold? How much does that cost?
I took a look, and the gem cost is pretty steep at $20 or so.

Katoki

You can buy a transfer with in-game gold? How much does that cost?
I took a look, and the gem cost is pretty steep at $20 or so.

Whatever happens to be the current gold to gem rate would be the cost. Unless that's what you took a look at and not directly purchasing gems from ANet.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Totally agreed, I love the fight. Got my ass handed to me at first, if a Necro spawns it can be a quick turn. Reminded me of my first time fighting him :p Once you get the new rhythm down you can own him.

Katoki

Will the gem prices ever go down, or should I just buy Fine Transmutation Stones as soon as possible?

I've only ever seen the gem prices continue to rise. It seems relatively stable about now but I haven't checked the rates after the patch on Tuesday.

This only makes sense though as the longer this game is out, the more money people will have accumulated to spend, or at least the folks who hit it lucky, played the trading post early on or just plain saved up every copper.

Tarazet

Managed to finish the monthly by getting a shitload of garments to salvage, then sold all the jute scraps I got out of it. Pretty cheap and fast way to get the last few %age points since I knew I couldn't play tomorrow.

Lunar15

Retro, this is Usra Karhu:

This was the dye set I was wearing tonight:
01C45724B10B5447B107D48411121890C5B445EB

It's mainly blues/browns, but there is some green. Also, HotW boots look better with this set than actual T3 boots. (haven't grabbed the helmet yet)

I'm in the process of uploading pictures of all the dye sets my friend and I have worked on, so I'll send a gallery when I have that done.

Retro

Retro, this is Usra Karhu.

I had absolutely no idea that was you. Fantastic dyes, makes me wish I had stuck with my Norn Warrior instead of blowing her up. Tier 3 Norn is just armor-y enough to look like proper armor but still skimpy enough to look like a proper Norn outfit.

Ghost eater? Ehh, maybe. Kind of like?

I don't mind the Ghost Eater fight when it works. I was in a PUG where it just bugged out to crap on us last night. The traps got stuck at full charge and even if Ghost Eater stood on top of them his shield wouldn't drop. We became invulnerable as well. It happened once, we tried a respwan and got him down to 25% hp then it happened again. At least I got 6 tears out of my time there.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't mind the Ghost Eater fight when it works. I was in a PUG where it just bugged out to crap on us last night. The traps got stuck at full charge and even if Ghost Eater stood on top of them his shield wouldn't drop. We became invulnerable as well. It happened once, we tried a respwan and got him down to 25% hp then it happened again. At least I got 6 tears out of my time there.
I've heard of this as well, and I hope you reported it in-game. Funny, because the original Ghost Eater had its own propensity to bug and that was fixed, and history repeats!

The fight itself is quite frankly awesome. Once teams are altogether competent at it, it actually won't be any tougher than before, but way more fun. The feeling when you get a trap off and GE becomes damagable is really satisfying. I can tell this is much closer to what they wanted the fight to be originally (the description at the path selection is "trap and kill the Ghost Eater," which I certainly didn't feel like we were doing before). The ghostbusters aspect is just so damn grin-worthy, plus it actually eats ghosts now! How hard was that!

Meanwhile, Paths 1 and 3 accomplished the seemingly impossible feat of getting me to not completely hate every single dungeon NPC in the game.

For those that haven't done the fights (or didn't "get them" while trying):

-In Path 3, Warmaster Grast pops a big ol' Sanctuary bubble whenever Colossus Rumblus does his falling rocks attack, which has been tweaked to cover like every damn inch of the room. Dive into the bubble when you see it, and you can both attack Colossus unperturbed during that, and get a few seconds after when Colossus can't get through to you. Plus Grast is kind of a tanky badass during that fight altogether, he can even hold aggro for a while.

-In Path 1, Hodgins proves why he is the only one to get the privilege of dual-wielding scepters. The Howling King summons adds; lots of adds. It's ridiculous to focus fire on any of them, even the dangerous ones like the new Stalker. But throughout the fight Hodgins is using the flaming scepters to make AoE rings of fire on the ground throughout the room. So far as I can tell, this is a new kind of AoE with an orange indicator ring on the ground (neutral?). If you stand in them, you take burning damage, but if gravelings run into them, they instantly die. So you want to kite them around and into the rings throughout the fight, but spend as little time as possible within them yourself. This is also awesome because the entire premise of the path is that Hodgins is putting together these scepters to be able to take him on (whereas before he spent the fight on the ground).

It just seems like the paths were altered to make them match up with what the path descriptions tell you your objectives are. For my part, I cannot wait for them to apply this design methodology to the rest of the dungeons.

nataku

March update WvW interview.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/...-Wars-2-What-Marchs-WvW-Patch-Will-Bring.html

I'm still reading through it, but:

The change we made in January was really just a tweak to the system. It changed the priorities of Culling but did not eliminate it. The change in March will turn off Culling completely. You will now see every character within range of you. There will be several different options for how other players are presented to you, on the client side that you can choose from so you can control how it works for you.

Sooner than I thought it would be, to be honest.

EDIT: Basically, so far, the WvW update is the culling removal and ranks with passive abilities. It sounds like any active abilities they add will be new button to press outside our normal 8 skills.

There are two ways to earn what we are calling World XP right now. Those are joining WvW Events and killing other players. As you earn more World XP your rank will go up. Every sum of World XP with give you a rank and that will give you a new title in WvW. For example right now you only see the “Invader” title. These titles will change with your rank. With each rank you will earn points to cash in on WVW abilities. The abilities are general passive in the beginning with skills like doing more damage to guards or taking less damage from siege. We’ll get into those later.

Sure, right now there are mostly passive abilties going in with this patch. We have abilities like: being able to carry more supply, being more effective against certain types of NPCs, being able to do more siege damage, or being more resistent to siege damage. Again this is our first patch so as we go further there will be more active abilities added. Those are a very careful balancing act to add and we want to get them right for the players. Not only is it about balance, but there are design concerns as well, like where do we put the buttons on the UI? We have to take all of that into account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom