• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taffer

I'm usually in from work by 1am GMT, so I just paid the transfer fee and moved promptly moved over to Stormbluff Isle [US]. No regrets whatsoever as it suits me just fine. :D

Yeah, I recognise you from Gandara-GAF. Everyone that was still playing regularly had moved on to other, non-dead guilds or transferred anyway (I switched to SBI myself a few weeks ago).
It's annoying that gaffers that haven't played in a while can't even see the guild message inviting them to the Gandara guild most of us moved to or to SBI but there's nothing that can be done about it now.

Scum

Yeah, I recognise you from Gandara-GAF. Everyone that was still playing regularly had moved on to other, non-dead guilds or transferred anyway (I switched to SBI myself a few weeks ago).
It's annoying that gaffers that haven't played in a while can't even see the guild message inviting them to the Gandara guild most of us moved to or to SBI but there's nothing that can be done about it now.

That's a real shame, that. :-/

jdavid459

When does this game pick up? Granted I am only like 8 levels in or so, just seems so bland...fetch/kill quests. Feel like I have no exciting skills (made a necro Charr). Not giving it enough time? Not for me?

Trey

When does this game pick up? Granted I am only like 8 levels in or so, just seems so bland...fetch/kill quests. Feel like I have no exciting skills (made a necro Charr). Not giving it enough time? Not for me?

I'd say if you're not feeling it by level 40, it isn't for you.

Complistic

You're still playing the tutorial then. If charr necro doesn't work for you, try making another race and profession. Warrior is popular.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Level 8 is certainly not enough time, but give another class a try if you think that might be the culprit. They all feel very different with different weapons, too- you just unlocked the ability to swap so try them all out.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Have you tried different weapons? I just rolled a charr necro too and the starting axe is the boringest weapon ever.

Retro

Necromancer is one of the lesser played professions, it has a loyal following but a lot of people find it hit-or-miss. Perhaps trying another profession will help.

Your skills are also based entirely on your weapon choices, so a staff will have different skills than an axe (which you started with), and so on. At level 8, you also have one of three utility slots unlocked, so a few more levels there will help (second one is at 10, third one at 20).

As far as fetch/kill quests, the starter zones are dominated by Reknown Regions (The heart icons on the map). Later on (and even in the starting zones) you'll run into lots of Dynamic Events. Those are much more interesting.

Running around Caledon and I have decided.. I want the next race to be added to be those Bird looking guys. I have no clue what their name is but their models are pretty awesome.

zon

The rate of gaining gold for someone who has been flocking to the updated world events in addition to whatever shenanigans he or she was getting up to before has dramatically increased. I don't know how you could argue otherwise. It may theoretically slow in a week with the account-bound chest nerf, although the more I think about it, I don't think it will be an appreciable slowdown to the savvy player. There are a lot of events out there. I can't speak to what the prices of precursors indicate, but in my casual viewing they've always been incredibly volatile.

I absolutely would never recommend buying cores to convert to lodestones to sell back, which is why I never suggested it. :p Depending on the lodestone of your choice, you could actually end up paying money for the privilege to do this. I was saying that if you have cores (and you will just get them over time, they deposit as collectibles now), it's a good idea for most types to spend the ~45s investment to upconvert them and sell them for massive profit. "You get to keep your cores" isn't a particularly compelling reason to not do this for someone who (like me) has absolutely no use for them at present. Similarly, tips like forging Mystic Weapons or crafting Exotics to sell take advantage of your existing inventory you have no use for in order to get an infusion of cash with little to no risk.

Also, running CoF1, or flipping between 1 and 2, is included in what I put as the first method on the list: dungeons. Dungeons in general are basically the most reliable source of easy gold in the game once you get past an initial learning curve.

Why didn't I say "run CoF1?" Because that is boring. There may be a number of single things you can do over and over and over and over again to completely maximize your gold-revenue efficiency, but I dare you not to get completely burnt out on doing whatever that thing is in the process. I mean, of course, more power to you if you wish to run COF1 ten times in a row. You're absolutely right that it'll make you money. But with a good group, I can easily complete any two paths of AC within an hour, too. Or run one path of AC, plus SE1, and two World Events. Or take a temple in Orr and stick around afterward to kill and harvest til my inventory fills up.

You have to understand, even though I listed a bunch of methods, the most important tip in that post was after the list when I said do a mix of everything. From my perspective this is crucial to maintaining enjoyment of the experience while earning oodles of gold at the same time. It's a game, it's supposed to be fun! Again, if finding the most efficient gold/hour source and repeatedly performing that task until you have enough gold to be satisfied (or your head falls off) is how you want to play, there's nothing at all wrong with that. Basically I was just demonstrating with that list that it's not necessary to do that, and point out some of the lesser-known conversions and resources that can help grow your fortune.

Btw, I forgot one: Do (or at least finish) your dailies on an 80 character. If you manage to do them each day, that's a quiet little 35s extra per week for doing stuff you were gonna do anyway.

Then I got the wrong impression. I got sucked into Path of Exile when Flame and Frost was introduced so I didn't know how the market/economy has changed.

You're right you never suggested to buy cores and I know that, if going by my reply, it sounds like you did. My bad. It was a badly formulated warning to others here not to do it. It can be profitable for short periods of time but those times are rare.

And I have a hoarder mentality when it comes to games like this, selling cores I find on my own is blasphemy to me. Even when I don't need them. :p

I talked about CoF 1 and 2 (followed by 1 until you wanna puke) because it's probably the best option if your only goal is to make money with no consideration to the fun factor. I was not trying to say you were wrong, my intent was to add to what you had said.
I know that feel, bro.

http://i.imgur.com/X2igL72.jpg[/IMG
(That's 3091 for those who don't feel like adding 'em up)
[spoiler]stealthbragging about my gobs of karma collecting dust[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Lol damn, you sure are more patient than I am.

Dunlop

lol apparently this game never idles you out. I had a late night page and while I was waiting on callbacks I played my alt.

Woke up this morning and I could still hear my videocard fan going, my toon was standing there in her underwear with all of her gear destroyed

also due to said page I have had less than 2 hours sleep and will likely crash my car into a wall, you guys can have my stuff :p

Do give it a little time. Once you hit about 20 it should start to pick up. It did for me at around that level, now I'm a 40 thief having a blast. just did this awesome event last night that took about an hour to do, got decent gear that net me some cash. But, I wouldn't know how long it takes to get some decent/fun skills for a necro, I can only recommend being patient and asking GAF for help to try to get the most out of your experience.

Retro

Lol damn, you sure are more patient than I am.

Nah, we're both hoarders (I'm the same way with lodestones/cores too).

I don't think I've ever actually spent a CoF Token; I don't care for the armor's visuals (and I saw it everywhere when people were exploiting their way through it, so in my mind it isn't unique) and the weapons are hit or miss. If I had a Charr it'd be a different story, but I just haven't settled on a profession for one yet.

Woke up this morning and I could still hear my videocard fan going, my toon was standing there in her underwear with all of her gear destroyed

also due to said page I have had less than 2 hours sleep and will likely crash my car into a wall, you guys can have my stuff :p

Why would we want your stuff, it's all broken.
JUWnj.gif

zon

I don't think I've ever actually spent a CoF Token; I don't care for the armor's visuals (and I saw it everywhere when people were exploiting their way through it, so in my mind it isn't unique) and the weapons are hit or miss. If I had a Charr it'd be a different story, but I just haven't settled on a profession for one yet.

Why would we want your stuff, it's all broken.
JUWnj.gif

Ah ok. I farmed for an entire armour set for my thief, and then I bought the greatsword for my guardian alt. The greatsword looks really nice imo. I'm nowhere near the amount of tokens you have from other dungeons though.

Complistic

I don't think I've ever actually spent a CoF Token; I don't care for the armor's visuals (and I saw it everywhere when people were exploiting their way through it, so in my mind it isn't unique) and the weapons are hit or miss.

Spend them on the level 70 rare helms? 30 tokens each. Salvage into ectos. Profit.

Retro

Ah ok. I farmed for an entire armour set for my thief, and then I bought the greatsword for my guardian alt. The greatsword looks really nice imo. I'm nowhere near the amount of tokens you have from other dungeons though.

Yeah, for a while there Keoni, his brother and I were doing daily Ghosteater / CoF1 / Random dungeon, until he decided to take a break from the game. So I piled on the tokens for everything that wasn't tedious quickly. Note the absence of Arah and how few CM/TA tokens I have. The only ones I've really spent are AC (most of my armor and all of my weapons are from there) and one HotW item (leggings).

Is it sad that I have a GW2 bookmark folder on my bookmark toolbar? :p

Nope, I've got one too.

Spend them on the level 70 rare helms? 30 tokens each. Salvage into ectos. Profit.

The problem with this is, I'm not really hurting for money and I'm not saving Ectos for anything in particular. I have plenty of storage space, and a few alts who might wear a few pieces from the dungeon. And like I said, packrat.

I've jokingly mentioned to the devs that they need to make a Skritt Backpack next, so I can have a rat pack for my pack rat.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I got the greatsword for my Mesmer for the berserker stats, and I found I like the skin a lot more than I expected. Still, it looks much more like it should be cleaving through enemies than having phantasmal energy channeled through it, so I'm still gonna replace the skin. But I'll probably have my Charr grab it one day, very cool style.

Guys I just found out that the dragon timer from the guild wars temple has an android app (probably old news but hey new to me) so now I don't have to clutter up guild chat asking if the Maw is up.

Shambles

Guys I just found out that the dragon timer from the guild wars temple has an android app (probably old news but hey new to me) so now I don't have to clutter up guild chat asking if the Maw is up.

I find just using your browser on your phone works better. You don't have to piss around with jumping around menus switching between dragon/event timers and it includes the beta timers that aren't included in the application.

I find just using your browser on your phone works better. You don't have to piss around with jumping around menus switching between dragon/event timers and it includes the beta timers that aren't included in the application.

The one I am looking at has the low and high timers as well as the dragon ones. Its easier then the browser on my phone personally and I don't really like alt+tab to go to my pc browser.

So my friend just got me this game, so far it is interesting and I like it a lot. My background is Ultima Online for 4 years and WoW for 3.

I am playing a Necromancer so far the class is interesting. Is this a class that can stand on it's own later on in game or am I going to need to be part of groups to get through the game outside of dungeons?

Complistic

All the classes do just fine on their own later in the game. I love necro, but be sure you try a couple classes when you're starting off. Then pick the one you like the most. They're all fun in their own ways.

Levyne

Banned
If desired, you can play a lot of the basic map completion or personal story stuff solo. As a light armor class some of the skill challenges might require a buddy or group.

Of course, grouping up makes things really fun, and obviously is needed for larger events, dungeons, etc.

Consider joining the gafguild as well :)

Shambles

The one I am looking at has the low and high timers as well as the dragon ones. Its easier then the browser on my phone personally and I don't really like alt+tab to go to my pc browser.

I must have installed a different application than you. There's a couple I saw on the play store. For my setup I just have the game display as windowed fullscreen with my browser running on a 2nd monitor so I have the best of both worlds.

I must have installed a different application than you. There's a couple I saw on the play store. For my setup I just have the game display as windowed fullscreen with my browser running on a 2nd monitor so I have the best of both worlds.

Might be I followed the link from the site to the play store. I have a second monitor but I just hate to alt+tab, and its rare for me to play in windowed mode.

Might be I followed the link from the site to the play store. I have a second monitor but I just hate to alt+tab, and its rare for me to play in windowed mode.

GW2 runs really well for me in Windowed Fullscreen. I can hardly tell the difference. Though I often use my second monitor for things like Netflix to help pass the time while I'm mindlessly zone completing (or just regular old questing in other MMO's) so it's a bit of a habit.

Speaking of.. what I'd really love to see would be a way to move the in-game chat into an additional window that I could move to my second monitor. I suppose it's a pipe dream though.

nataku

Whenever I run windowed the screen tearing always bugs me.

Windowed fullscreen seems to have next to no tearing for me. I had to switch to it when using the SMAA injector because D3DOverrider no longer worked for triple buffered vsync when using the injector.

It's strange, but fullscreen has massive tearing without vsync, but none that I can see when using windowed fullscreen without vsync.

Taffer

I'll give it a shot in a bit; I did send some cash with the items but my friend didn't even notice it so I can't say for sure how much he received.

EDIT: 1 silver sent, 1 silver received.

Retro

Notice: There's maintenance going on at the moment that is affecting chat / whispers. Some people are reporting they aren't in a guild, some people are whispering but appear offline when you try to reply, etc. Nobody has been kicked, it should be fixed shortly.

Just letting people know because I've been getting whispers saying "Why was I kicked from the guild?!" but when I try to reply I get a "Member is offline" message so... yeah.

Levyne

Banned
I think maintenance nabbed our fractal group D:

edit: Also I can't use gchat "you are not in guild". Stood down and re-reped but nothing yet.

edit2: Seems normal again, yay

Finally got my ele up to level 70 tonight! :D

Just need 10 more levels before I can try doing a Dungeon again. Tried SD condition build with all my points in earth/ water/ AR traits ... I like the added survivability but I don't like having to rely so much on bleeding. Now I'm doing DD because I also wasn't a fan of the Scepter skills. Should I just change into a Fire/ Earth/ AR build to keep the condition damage or does DD work best as a glass canon?

Trey

DDs generally go bunker and spec deep into water. I think a condition elementalist would work, though you're probably worse off trying to hedge a condi build with glass cannon.

Thanks to everyone who ran through CM story with me last night. It was a blast even if it was painful. Once people started saying they got kicked out of party chat I was worried we weren't going to finish it especially when we were right at the end but we were able to get it done before any real problems happened. Lots of fun.

Finally started to get into fractals, level 22, I get healing signet and the druid ring and realize i can't infuse them, i can only infuse the DPS rings, thanks again failnet for shitting on guardians...

This game needs to be renamed Guild Warriors 2..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom