• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xevren

Are we just planning on going wvwvw all day tomorrow, or is there some set time you all are trying to plan something? Not that I have anything against going all day, I like wvwvw.

Untrust Us

Neo Member
Hello all,

I have just recently re-discovered my GAF account and found this GW2 thread.

I am from the UK, I have only had GW2 for almsot 3 months now, but I have 4 level 80s and I am in Gunnar's Hold and was thinking about asking to join the GAF guild and doing some dungeons and world events with people.
My username is Gillfreex.7803 if anyone wants to add me and do dungeons.

Would anyone here like to do a dungeon with me? TBH it would likely be more "baby-sit me through a dungeon" than anything really. I have only ever done a run once when I was level 45 and it sucked BAD. So I have no clue how these things work and wanted to wait until I got to level 80.

But now that I'm level 72 I figured I might as well learn how to do them now for the EXP at least.

Katoki

Would anyone here like to do a dungeon with me? TBH it would likely be more "baby-sit me through a dungeon" than anything really. I have only ever done a run once when I was level 45 and it sucked BAD. So I have no clue how these things work and wanted to wait until I got to level 80.

But now that I'm level 72 I figured I might as well learn how to do them now for the EXP at least.

Hell I wouldn't mind babysitting people in GW2 at this point. Maybe I'll do just that when I finally get everything running again.

I'm a week in without my gaming computer and still waiting for NewEgg to send the stuff I ordered. Worse yet is Tuesday is a holiday in Hawaii so I probably won't get my stuff til Wednesday evening. Probably would've been able to order stuff sooner had I been able to get through to PC-GAF. I'm pretty sure I got totally ignored the entire time I tried asking for aid but I also make majority of my posts there during really off hours like this post here. During the day though, I guess it's no good unless it's on the current page when someone who can help passes by.

Retro

my gods I can't wait for tuesday. I am ready to rip open the fuck out of all these 40 black lion chests

How many chests did you open for Halloween, 80?

Why?

What's new?

I bought like 20 or so keys yesterday...

Nothing confirmed, but they do add stuff in at patches, and April Fools is coming up so there's a chance they'll add holiday-related items in.

Hello all,

I am from the UK, I have only had GW2 for almsot 3 months now, but I have 4 level 80s and I am in Gunnar's Hold and was thinking about asking to join the GAF guild and doing some dungeons and world events with people.

Just invited you to GAFGuild, we play on StormBluff Isle (NA) so you'll want to make that one of your Guest servers.

I'd be happy to. If you get in a dungeon with the right people (i.e. those of us who are insane and run them a hundred times) you'd have a fairly smooth ride and get lots of info.

Having mumble, even to listen, is very useful, as there's a lot of tells we can warn you about and it's faster than typing.

Untrust Us

Neo Member
How many chests did you open for Halloween, 80?

Nothing confirmed, but they do add stuff in at patches, and April Fools is coming up so there's a chance they'll add holiday-related items in.

Just invited you to GAFGuild, we play on StormBluff Isle (NA) so you'll want to make that one of your Guest servers.

I'd be happy to. If you get in a dungeon with the right people (i.e. those of us who are insane and run them a hundred times) you'd have a fairly smooth ride and get lots of info.

Having mumble, even to listen, is very useful, as there's a lot of tells we can warn you about and it's faster than typing.

Ahh damn, the thing is that it won't let me guest onto american worlds, because of the latency problem ANet think that it will cause, so I guess I will only be able to play with people from the EU :'(

Thanks anyway though

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hell I wouldn't mind babysitting people in GW2 at this point. Maybe I'll do just that when I finally get everything running again.

I'm a week in without my gaming computer and still waiting for NewEgg to send the stuff I ordered. Worse yet is Tuesday is a holiday in Hawaii so I probably won't get my stuff til Wednesday evening. Probably would've been able to order stuff sooner had I been able to get through to PC-GAF. I'm pretty sure I got totally ignored the entire time I tried asking for aid but I also make majority of my posts there during really off hours like this post here. During the day though, I guess it's no good unless it's on the current page when someone who can help passes by.
That blows, what new parts did you need?

Plenty of us would! What is your in-game name anyway, I feel like I must have seen you at some point by now.

You want to get a group together for AC Story. It's a good introduction to the dungeon concept now. You can get used to group placement, bosses, reviving, etc. without too much of a challenge or a lengthy endeavor. Once you feel confident in there, a ton of the others are a lot of fun and very rewarding (basically, you get everything but good loot, guaranteed), but the most important thing is just to have a patient group of guildies rather than a PUG wondering why you don't know everything like you've done it 50 times before.

At level 72 you can really do any dungeon- the listed level requirements are just recommendations, if you have 4 80s with you you'll be fine and it's a great way to level!
Hello all,

Welcome! The good news is you're more than welcome into the guild. The bad news is being on an EU server is fairly limiting in terms of what we can do together :( If you're interested in a transfer to Stormbluff Isle, I'm actually looking to set up an immigration fund, so stay tuned!

edit: The no guesting between regions thing isn't just about latency, it's a database design architecture problem. One day they can theoretically eliminate this problem actually, but for now, yeah, you're either stuck playing only with EU folk or you can go for the full-on transfer to NA. Lots of our Euro members have done so and haven't had crippling lag.

Untrust Us

Neo Member

Plenty of us would! What is your in-game name anyway, I feel like I must have seen you at some point by now.

You want to get a group together for AC Story. It's a good introduction to the dungeon concept now. You can get used to group placement, bosses, reviving, etc. without too much of a challenge or a lengthy endeavor. Once you feel confident in there, a ton of the others are a lot of fun and very rewarding (basically, you get everything but good loot, guaranteed), but the most important thing is just to have a patient group of guildies rather than a PUG wondering why you don't know everything like you've done it 50 times before.

At level 72 you can really do any dungeon- the listed level requirements are just recommendations, if you have 4 80s with you you'll be fine and it's a great way to level!

Welcome! The good news is you're more than welcome into the guild. The bad news is being on an EU server is fairly limiting in terms of what we can do together :( If you're interested in a transfer to Stormbluff Isle, I'm actually looking to set up an immigration fund, so stay tuned!

edit: The no guesting between regions thing isn't just about latency, it's a database design architecture problem. One day they can theoretically eliminate this problem actually, but for now, yeah, you're either stuck playing only with EU folk or you can go for the full-on transfer to NA. Lots of our Euro members have done so and haven't had crippling lag.

Yeah man, I will definitely think about it, it would a good experience, keep me posted :)

Retro

I want to totally apologize for completely forgetting that guesting does not work cross region. It will certainly not be the last thing I screw up today either.

Ashodin

I want to totally apologize for completely forgetting that guesting does not work cross region. It will certainly not be the last thing I screw up today either.
"Retro attacks the wrong tower, turns out it's already ours"

Also yeah I'm hoping that there are new cool items for april fools.

nataku

I need to get my monthly done. Specifically, the events and veteran killer. I'm halfway done on both. What's the quickest way to do them? WvW?

I was killing veteran oakhearts in Gendarran Fields since they're easy to kill and there are a lot of them there, but if there is something better I'm all ears.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I need to get my monthly done. Specifically, the events and veteran killer. I'm halfway done on both. What's the quickest way to do them? WvW?

I was killing veteran oakhearts in Gendarran Fields since they're easy to kill and there are a lot of them there, but if there is something better I'm all ears.

Just do the Claw of Jormag event and tag every vet you see, you'll get it done in no time. For events, WvW is definitely the fastest imo. Either that or server jumping and doing the maw chain over and over again.

Katoki

CPU and motherboard. Already have the motherboard since I knew that was dead for sure after troubleshooting. Now I'm just waiting on the CPU. Such a shame that my i5-2500k only lived for a year.

Not sure if I want to go gunslinging or great sword throwing. I know that I need to go grab the heritage armor skin for the mesmer again.

Cels

Fractals have a lot of vets.

Levyne

Banned
Congrats to Jesta of GAF (Varix)
hockeypuck?
on winning the first guild lottery!

I'm guessing just talk to an officer about getting that money.

Despite getting the game at launch, I just finally got through the first zone and got 100% discovery in Queensdale. I really wish I had more time for games like this, but I'm enjoying it when I get to play. Going to continue to play PvE for the time being to get through some story and to level up, but hope to delve into the more community based aspects of the game soon.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Despite getting the game at launch, I just finally got through the first zone and got 100% discovery in Queensdale. I really wish I had more time for games like this, but I'm enjoying it when I get to play. Going to continue to play PvE for the time being to get through some story and to level up, but hope to delve into the more community based aspects of the game soon.
Hey there! Have you joined the guild? Even if you're still mostly into play solo for the moment, we're quite friendly and helpful. Sorry if you've already been added and this is redundant.

I OD'ed on the official forums this morning. I never learn :mad:

Hoooo, tomorrow is passover with my family after work. This is gonna be excruciating :( Should've just taken a sick day from work, though I guess we have no clue when it goes live.

edit: WvW-focused interview on MMORPG

With the March 26th update, WvW players will have a whole new way to obtain various racial, special, and other items that were previously only purchasable with karma. With your badges you’ll first buy one component (the stats: Knight’s, Carrion, Cleric, Berserker’s, etc.) and then a second component (the visual look: racial skins, and so forth). Later on, if you decide you want the same stats, but a different look, you just buy a new skin and recombine them. It’s a lot like item transmuting, but for WvW bought gear. Worth noting is that the stats are the same as those you’d get in any other part of the game, and the visual skins are the same as well, so no one who doesn’t partake in WvW will be missing out. Rather, this is a way for WvW-loving players to actually get stuff they previously would have had to go PvE for.
Sounds like them stacks of badges might be rather easy to blow.

Retro

Hopefully we can coordinate stuff with them since we are a sizable guild and is nice to know when server events are happening

Actually, Ashodin has been coordinating with the other guilds on our server, and from the look of things GAF may be one if not the largest guild on SBI. Only a few he hasn't been able to check (Calm or Karm, I can't remember which, but they're everywhere). We're certainly one of the most active, without a doubt.

It's almost patch day!

Better than Christmas and Birthdays; as an adult you usually know exactly what you're getting for both because people outright ask you. But patch days, even for those of us who get a couple hints every now and then, we still don't know a lot of what's coming. Very exciting.

I OD'ed on the official forums this morning. I never learn :mad:

Hoooo, tomorrow is passover with my family after work. This is gonna be excruciating :( Should've just taken a sick day from work, though I guess we have no clue when it goes live.

Ugh, even for a game with such strong community support, kick ass players and transparent developers, every MMO's Official Forums are terrible. They've said as much too, but it's just one of those things that can't be helped.

And patches seem to drop around 3-5pm EDT. Tell your family to hurry up and go to bed or the Easter Bunny won't leave them any presents.

hythloday

I already have a doctor's note for my sick day tomorrow! But I'm actually sick so it isn't as fabulous as it sounds.

Happy Passover Hawkian.

I'm trying to finish off map completion finally, at the rate of one map per day. WvW is actually done, so that was the biggest roadblock for me.

Levyne

Banned
I'm so ready for
jWcz7E8lSX18X.png

Edit: Hawkian is jewish? My labmate is too, and so he has to take off tomorrow for Passover, too. I don't understand all the customs but he's going to pig out on some local pizza today (before the week starts) and is taking me with :D

Einbroch

Banned
I'm so ready for
jWcz7E8lSX18X.png

Edit: Hawkian is jewish? My labmate is too, and so he has to take off tomorrow for Passover, too. I don't understand all the customs but he's going to pig out on some local pizza today (before the week starts) and is taking me with :D

I've been staring at a "Waiting for Authentication..." message for 5 minutes now. ALREADY PATCH DAY FOR ME!

lol51

Guild Wars 2 Interviews: World vs. World's Time to Shine
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/...ild-Wars-2-World-vs-Worlds-Time-to-Shine.html
Notes:
  • 300 characters on the screen at any one time
  • Anything over that will be represented by their name and server tag
  • two-thousand Ranks
  • Within these ranks you’ll get a new title that will display
  • To go progressively further into different WvW skills, you’ll need to spend more points.
  • Badges new way to obtain various racial, special, and other items that were previously only purchasable with karma.
  • With your badges you’ll first buy one component (the stats: Knight’s, Carrion, Cleric, Berserker’s, etc.) and then a second component (the visual look: racial skins, and so forth).

Guild Wars 2 World vs. World interview: World Ranks, server balance, cheating and more
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/25/g...world-ranks-server-balance-cheating-and-more/
Notes:
  • it’ll take between 2,000 and 4,000 hours of play to hit the current rank cap
  • load up WvW status maps of all four combat zones from anywhere in Tyria
  • It’s permanent, there’s no respec option.
  • we want people to be going out to the smaller servers, so we’re looking at a couple of different things

WvW Interview with Habib Loew, Mike Ferguson & Matt Witter
http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/editorials/wvw-interview-habib-loew-mike-ferguson-matt-witter
Notes:
  • we're actively looking into ways that we can modify the spell effects system to not only give better performance [...] I'm really looking forward to that at some point in the future.
  • I'm sure at some point some players will do ["X Guild seeking players with Y rank for WvW"] but we designed this system to not encourage that.
  • [Acended items for badges] definitely on our list of things we want to add to it
  • Under the old system there were up to 2 seconds of additional stealth every time you came out of it.
  • Portal bombs still work but people can now see you when you show up.
  • [Zerg vs Zerg] Formations really come into play at a certain point now [because you can see Zergs coming across a hill now - do you quickly build siege? etc]

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So Jewish (not really, I just celebrate the major holidays and feel a general sense of moral superiority to everyone else all the time).

You're not supposed to have any leavened (baked/rising) bread at all, which is why super-crunchy not-all-that-delicious matzoh is a thing.

Levyne

Banned
My labmate says that Passover also restricts stuff like corn, and by extension, corn syrup, which is everywhere...

I hope you guys don't starve!

Levyne

Banned
If you guest onto SBI you get your stuffs. The only remaining issue is the overlying one of players on EU servers not being able to guest onto an NA one like SBI.

My labmate says that Passover also restricts stuff like corn, and by extension, corn syrup, which is everywhere...

Does that mean Mexican coke and pepsi sales jump during passover? Dat Real Sugar!

Seeing more use for the badges is awesome. I'm still about 300 away from my gift of battle but I like wuvwuv more than dungeon running due to my having to afk at just about any moment, so the prospect of getting more styles this way is enticing. I just hope the adjust down the prices (rather than have them the same as the invader armor) because the drop rate is awful unless you're a huge zerg mowng everything down.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Everything Matzo with Cream Cheese is delicious. Come at me.
All of the modifications on Matzo afforded by modern life are wonderfu. It's just the original product that's not so tasty.

Corn, legumes, other stuff too. We don't take it that seriously.
Does that mean Mexican coke and pepsi sales jump during passover? Dat Real Sugar!
Yes (not joking :p)

Seeing more use for the badges is awesome. I'm still about 300 away from my gift of battle but I like wuvwuv more than dungeon running due to my having to afk at just about any moment, so the prospect of getting more styles this way is enticing. I just hope the adjust down the prices (rather than have them the same as the invader armor) because the drop rate is awful unless you're a huge zerg mowng everything down.
I'm really curious about the pricing scheme too.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Yes, you can guest on the server with the majority of your guild and get commendations now. Was fixed on the 7th.

Great. Only thing that sucks is that I missed like 3 weeks of them LOL. Does the guild do these daily? I've been on every day but its been more of a log on, do dailies, log off sort of thing for most of the month for me with an occasional dungeon run or 3. The guesting issue really ticked me off and made me not want to play the game.

Great. Only thing that sucks is that I missed like 3 weeks of them LOL. Does the guild do these daily? I've been on every day but its been more of a log on, do dailies, log off sort of thing for most of the month for me with an occasional dungeon run or 3. The guesting issue really ticked me off and made me not want to play the game.

We do a tier 3 on saturday before the reset and then a tier 1 after the reset. Those 2 are pretty much set i believe. Others happen but that is up to the officers to decide.

Also i am stoked for this update tomorrow! I also read in either that interview or the one on gw2hub that they won't have an expansion for a while (mainly classes/races) but are looking into using updates to bring in new traits and skills, which is on track with this next update and other interviews before

Retro

I also read in either that interview or the one on gw2hub that they won't have an expansion for a while (mainly classes/races) but are looking into using updates to bring in new traits and skills, which is on track with this next update and other interviews before

Throwing in a new weapon or two (since not every profession would use the same weapon) is a decent way to introduce new skills and matching traits to all of the existing professions at once.

Adding a new profession is neat, but obviously it makes the existing professions old, so hopefully any new profession they add is built around a bunch of new weapon types everyone else can use. Thus, even though there's a hot new profession in town, everybody gets something cool and new.

I'd rather see them add one new profession, a Heavy armor class to round out the numbers; there's currently three light professions and three medium, but Warrior and Guardian are the only heavies. I'm slightly OCD about the balance.

Anyways, we've had this discussion many times before, but let's have it again;

Great Axe/Two-Handed Axe: Warrior, Necromancer, Ranger (maybe Guardian)
Fist Weapon: Warrior, Guardian, Thief, Engineer, Elementalist, Mesmer.
Whip (1h): Thief, Ranger, Mesmer, Necromancer.
Glaive (1h Spear): Warrior, Guardian, Ranger, Thief, Mesmer
Halberd (2h Spear): Warrior, Ranger, Elementalist, Necromancer
Javelin (Off-hand Spear): Warrior, Ranger, Thief, Necromancer

Give Thief staff (for some bo-staff support-style ninja/monk-ery) and Engineer hammer, maybe (since it seems like a useful tool for a combat engineer).

Also, Engineer needs a new kit, a steampunk-looking multi-gun that has all sorts of bits and pieces from other firearms slapped onto it haphazardly to give it a lot of versatility. Give it a Sniper Shot (Increased damage the further you are from target, for a long-range profession like engineer, this seems like a no-brainer), an underslung Grenade Launcher (no manual targeting, has a slight AOE but causes bleeding to one target), Rapid/Automatic Fire (like the warrior Volley, just fire off a ton of rounds quickly) and a special explosive round you can fire and then trigger to detonate at a specific range (like the Guardian orb). Maybe that one does fire damage.

The 5 ability would be the best though; you manually target a spot on the ground and throw the weapon to that location, unequipping the kit. If an ally picks it up, they get to use the weapon for a while (like an elementalist's conjured weapons), but if an enemy gets near it, it triggers a booby trap that causes a ton of conditions. Like the Dragon assault rifle from Perfect Dark, basically.

Give it some badass name like "The Mauler", "Southsun Special" or something and we're good to go.

Anyone want to toss out a third Heavy armor profession?

nataku

If they add new skills I'd rather them expand the number of skills on current weapons than add new weapons, personally. The number of weapons available per profession is already pretty good, other than the Engineer, but the number of skills is lacking IMO.

If I could take my mesmer greatsword and turn it into a melee focused weapon instead of a ranged weapon just by switching out some skills I'd definitely try that.

Can I install this game straight from the GW2 disc? I saw that Amazon has the disc version for $45 right now and I'm thinking about getting it. Also, will I ever need the disc again once I install it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom