• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cels

Can I install this game straight from the GW2 disc? I saw that Amazon has the disc version for $45 right now and I'm thinking about getting it. Also, will I ever need the disc again once I install it?

Some of it. There have been a substantial amount of updates though. Even when I got my disc about a month after the game launched, I still had to download ~5gb before being able to play, so I imagine it's even more than that today.

etiolate

Banned
Can I install this game straight from the GW2 disc? I saw that Amazon has the disc version for $45 right now and I'm thinking about getting it. Also, will I ever need the disc again once I install it?

As said, there will be patching to download all the updates. You won't need the disc, but you will need to retain the serial code if you get hacked or forget your password.

Ashodin

Throwing in a new weapon or two (since not every profession would use the same weapon) is a decent way to introduce new skills and matching traits to all of the existing professions at once.

Adding a new profession is neat, but obviously it makes the existing professions old, so hopefully any new profession they add is built around a bunch of new weapon types everyone else can use. Thus, even though there's a hot new profession in town, everybody gets something cool and new.

I'd rather see them add one new profession, a Heavy armor class to round out the numbers; there's currently three light professions and three medium, but Warrior and Guardian are the only heavies. I'm slightly OCD about the balance.

Anyways, we've had this discussion many times before, but let's have it again;

Great Axe/Two-Handed Axe: Warrior, Necromancer, Ranger (maybe Guardian)
Fist Weapon: Warrior, Guardian, Thief, Engineer, Elementalist, Mesmer.
Whip (1h): Thief, Ranger, Mesmer, Necromancer.
Glaive (1h Spear): Warrior, Guardian, Ranger, Thief, Mesmer
Halberd (2h Spear): Warrior, Ranger, Elementalist, Necromancer
Javelin (Off-hand Spear): Warrior, Ranger, Thief, Necromancer

Give Thief staff (for some bo-staff support-style ninja/monk-ery) and Engineer hammer, maybe (since it seems like a useful tool for a combat engineer).

Also, Engineer needs a new kit, a steampunk-looking multi-gun that has all sorts of bits and pieces from other firearms slapped onto it haphazardly to give it a lot of versatility. Give it a Sniper Shot (Increased damage the further you are from target, for a long-range profession like engineer, this seems like a no-brainer), an underslung Grenade Launcher (no manual targeting, has a slight AOE but causes bleeding to one target), Rapid/Automatic Fire (like the warrior Volley, just fire off a ton of rounds quickly) and a special explosive round you can fire and then trigger to detonate at a specific range (like the Guardian orb). Maybe that one does fire damage.

The 5 ability would be the best though; you manually target a spot on the ground and throw the weapon to that location, unequipping the kit. If an ally picks it up, they get to use the weapon for a while (like an elementalist's conjured weapons), but if an enemy gets near it, it triggers a booby trap that causes a ton of conditions. Like the Dragon assault rifle from Perfect Dark, basically.

Give it some badass name like "The Mauler", "Southsun Special" or something and we're good to go.

Anyone want to toss out a third Heavy armor profession?

Don't forget the:

08.png

Some of it. There have been a substantial amount of updates though. Even when I got my disc about a month after the game launched, I still had to download ~5gb before being able to play, so I imagine it's even more than that today.

As said, there will be patching to download all the updates. You won't need the disc, but you will need to retain the serial code if you get hacked or forget your password.

Thanks guys.

Trey

The whip is such a common sense addition to the mesmer that I am honestly surprised that it wasn't given to them at launch.

No halberd for the elementalist though. Give them a sword instead.

If they add new skills I'd rather them expand the number of skills on current weapons than add new weapons, personally. The number of weapons available per profession is already pretty good, other than the Engineer, but the number of skills is lacking IMO.

If I could take my mesmer greatsword and turn it into a melee focused weapon instead of a ranged weapon just by switching out some skills I'd definitely try that.

Thief needs a second sword to round out its options.

Yeah it would be great if you could pick x/y skills for each weapon type.

This would be awesome. It would also go a long way towards appealing to the gw1 vets that yave complained about a lack of variety in skill selection.

etiolate

Banned
Whips or daggers for Mesmer. Something mid-range like Axes are for Rangers.

Anyone think that ANet is maybe holding back on Housing because of Wildstar's housing being a selling point?

Retro

Yeah it would be great if you could pick x/y skills for each weapon type.

I actually think their plan for a while has been to get the basics learned by the majority of the community, and then take a month and update things to be more advanced. They've established the rules of the game, so to speak, now they can go about breaking them.

I would love to see traits that replace the existing skills you have with new versions or entirely new skills. We'll just see what develops.

Like dungeons, traits feel like something that was meant to be much bigger, but reached a point in the development cycle where it worked well, but not perfectly. At some point a revamp is coming.

Thief needs a second sword to round out its options.

Agreed.

Mesmer needs fist weapon. Illusion punches yo

It's just begging for a skill called "Sleight of Hand". And with the heavy duelist and pink overtones, it demands a ranged, multi-missile attack that launches a shitload of shattered shards, for all the Gambit roleplayers out there.

Anyone think that ANet is maybe holding back on Housing because of Wildstar's housing being a selling point?

Nah, I imagine there's a housing team working on something, it's just not a major feature like WvW. Housing is a slow burn feature, not something in high demand but still something they want.

I actually think their plan for a while has been to get the basics learned by the majority of the community, and then take a month and update things to be more advanced. They've established the rules of the game, so to speak, now they can go about breaking them.

I would love to see traits that replace the existing skills you have with new versions or entirely new skills. We'll just see what develops.

Like dungeons, traits feel like something that was meant to be much bigger, but reached a point in the development cycle where it worked well, but not perfectly. At some point a revamp is coming.

I can definitely see this happening. It's already in the game to a small extent with things like the Mug trait changing giving a Thief's Steal damage instead of just being a gap closer. I think it could be cool to see Traits add fire or poison damage to skills on say a Warrior or Guardian in exchange for a less front end damage.

etiolate

Banned
Traits could easily add more functionality and new ways of playing to current weapons. I feel like Guardian's shield skills were made in attempt to be functional both at range and in melee, but a trait that changed the way shield skills function to make them better either at ranged or melee would be great.

Wallach

I don't think so. I would imagine it's more just something that requires a shit ton of development time to get right and they took on more than enough subsystems at the outset to consider adding one that large. Wouldn't be surprised to see this in the first "real" expansion for GW2 though.

As far as adding new weapon types, I feel like I'd prefer they simply doubled up on the number of available skills per weapon and forced you to choose out of the increased pool. Personally my main issue with weapons isn't that there isn't enough variety - most classes get a pretty decent pool of weapon selections sans Engineer - just that each weapon feels kind of narrow in terms of purpose. It would be significantly more work than just adding new weapon sets to existing classes, though.

I also hope at some point they add the option to change the control scheme to a more mouselook-oriented one. I've played around with the game a few times in the past month and each time I do I think I get more annoyed with holding RMB for 95% of my play time.

Retro

I can definitely see this happening. It's already in the game to a small extent with things like the Mug trait changing giving a Thief's Steal damage instead of just being a gap closer. I think it could be cool to see Traits add fire or poison damage to skills on say a Warrior or Guardian in exchange for a less front end damage.

Exactly. Warriors have Missile Deflection in the Defense trait line, which gives Shield Block the ability to reflect damage too. There's a couple more of them lingering about.

Those kind of traits are the kind of direction I want them to go in, because instead of being straight statistical boosts (which theorycrafters just chew up and spit out optimized builds) you can't always assign a number to that sort of thing. Reflecting a ton of damage back at somebody in the narrow, 3 second window of Shield Block, is something that depends on skill rather than math. I *hate* math-centric traits that do nothing but chance to x, increases damage by y, skills recharge by z. Those are easier to balance from a spreadsheet standpoint, but also easier for players to assess, process and dismiss. The non-mathy stuff has to be felt, and learned. It's hard to track how much damage a skill modification will cause, because the player has to know how to use it just right, and there's a ton of different situations in which they can do so.

I wrote up a big long thing about it before the game even launched; which you can read here. Kinda in the same vein.

But I would love to see stuff like "X skill no longer does this, but does that instead." Break the rules. Stuff like "Equip a fourth utility skill in place of an elite skill" is something they did in GW1, if I remember right, and would fit PERFECTLY here, nestled in the right trait line.

Like I said, I think it's something they will look at later, to great effect.

As far as adding new weapon types, I feel like I'd prefer they simply doubled up on the number of available skills per weapon and forced you to choose out of the increased pool. Personally my main issue with weapons isn't that there isn't enough variety - most classes get a pretty decent pool of weapon selections sans Engineer - just that each weapon feels kind of narrow in terms of purpose. It would be significantly more work than just adding new weapon sets to existing classes, though.

I disagree. I think if they're going to add new skills, it should be tied to traits so that you are re-purposing one or two skills at the most to suit your needs. If you create a whole pool of skills for each individual weapon, you're going to end up on the same path as Guild Wars 1, which had too many skills. I think having more weapons, and having traits that simply change up a few pieces of each, would be enough variety. Remember, they can always add new utility skills as well, and there's a LOT of room to grow all over.

Not any weirder than Retro. dude is all over some crazy stuff

I like the idea of housing because it creates a unique game space in the world that players can call their own. MMOs are, when you get down to it, about creating a persona (whether you favor a pure statistical character you kill monsters with or actually think of your character as a person) and having that persona interact with a persistent world and other players. I always hear "Housing will take people out of the game world", but I think if it is done right, it has the potential to put them in it with much greater enthusiasm. I can make a big long post about that too, if you like. We're all waiting for tomorrow anyways.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I also hope at some point they add the option to change the control scheme to a more mouselook-oriented one. I've played around with the game a few times in the past month and each time I do I think I get more annoyed with holding RMB for 95% of my play time.
Have you tried Combat Mode? Probably increase your enjoyment considerably.

Wallach

Have you tried Combat Mode? Probably increase your enjoyment considerably.

Was just talking about this with Ashodin. I'm only concerned about it not really being supported by the person that created it anymore, and hearing that it's still a bit buggy. It's not a deal-breaker or anything - I've played years of MMOs that control this way and all - I just think it's something that would really make sense to implement within the client itself. GW2 certainly makes less use of the cursor than more traditional MMOs where you're already still married to RMB most of the time.

As far as Admiral Wallach, I'm sure you'll see me in-game soon enough but I think the Admiral will remain retired. Dumb as it sounds I'm considering making another Engineer though so a steampunk WvW party isn't necessarily off the table.

nataku

Was just talking about this with Ashodin. I'm only concerned about it not really being supported by the person that created it anymore, and hearing that it's still a bit buggy. It's not a deal-breaker or anything - I've played years of MMOs that control this way and all - I just think it's something that would really make sense to implement within the client itself. GW2 certainly makes less use of the cursor than more traditional MMOs where you're already still married to RMB most of the time.

As far as Admiral Wallach, I'm sure you'll see me in-game soon enough but I think the Admiral will remain retired. Dumb as it sounds I'm considering making another Engineer though so a steampunk WvW party isn't necessarily off the table.

I'm pretty sure the person that made it came back to it and released or is working on another version of it. Unless he dropped that one, too.

I'll see if I can find the link to it.

EDIT: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1a3the/combat_mode_20_preview/

He's working on it, but it's not released yet. He says that version is against the TOS, though.

I really hope ANet releases an official control scheme like that. It'd be a requirement should they ever port the game to consoles.

Astra

My friend and I are finally ready to tackle our first dungeon. Anyone free to join us and lend a hand Wednesday night? Maybe around 10 or 11pm Eastern?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Well hell, you could just use my AHK script to attain the same basic functional improvements. It's designed to be used with a gamepad but basically does the same job. That won't be unsupported cause Weltall and I are right here!

I absolutely agree that it would be a worthy thing to implement in-game. In fact, GW2 strikes me as incredibly well-thought-out in terms of using a controller, despite having zero support for it. Little touches like how untargeted projectiles shoot where you "aim" and the way moves can be canceled really lend themselves to it. It feels more natural to me than TERA does which is funny because the support in TERA is native and has all the button-swapping UI love I want in GW2.

I'm pretty sure the person that made it came back to it and released or is working on another version of it. Unless he dropped that one, too.

I'll see if I can find the link to it.
The solution he is currently working on will absolutely, without a shred of doubt be in violation of the TOS. He's doing it as an intellectual exercise as well as to garner support for sanctioned mods in the future, I would imagine. Still, I'm sure the original version still works just fine.
My friend and I are finally ready to tackle our first dungeon. Anyone free to join us and lend a hand Wednesday night? Maybe around 10 or 11pm Eastern?
But of course! Are you both in the guild by chance?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Actually, wildly enough, dungeons function cross-server, no guesting necessary. This was actually possible before guesting was even added to the game.

i sure hope so. i'd love to get an all engy group going for the wubwub.
While we wait for the Admiral to come out of retirement for the all Engineer group in wubdewub, get a hammer for your warrior, set traits 0/0/20/30/20 and join the hammer party tonight!

Hey there! Have you joined the guild? Even if you're still mostly into play solo for the moment, we're quite friendly and helpful. Sorry if you've already been added and this is redundant.

I OD'ed on the official forums this morning. I never learn :mad:

Hoooo, tomorrow is passover with my family after work. This is gonna be excruciating :( Should've just taken a sick day from work, though I guess we have no clue when it goes live.

Yep, Retro sorted me out and got me moved from Overflowrce to the main guild, which I've been representing since. Also, just wanted to say thanks again for providing a walkthrough on WvW way back when the game launched. It was a huge help and I'm glad to see you're still playing. Hope you have a nice Passover with the family.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Also, just wanted to say thanks again for providing a walkthrough on WvW way back when the game launched. It was a huge help and I'm glad to see you're still playing. Hope you have a nice Passover with the family.
No problemo! And thanks. It was nice, although I just got home. Tomorrow is going to be even longer and I can already tell it'll be excruciating waiting to get back to try out the new goodies. On the bright side I had a few glasses of wine and everyone knows that ghost-hunting is best done tipsy.

Hell I wouldn't mind babysitting people in GW2 at this point. Maybe I'll do just that when I finally get everything running again.

I'm a week in without my gaming computer and still waiting for NewEgg to send the stuff I ordered. Worse yet is Tuesday is a holiday in Hawaii so I probably won't get my stuff til Wednesday evening. Probably would've been able to order stuff sooner had I been able to get through to PC-GAF. I'm pretty sure I got totally ignored the entire time I tried asking for aid but I also make majority of my posts there during really off hours like this post here. During the day though, I guess it's no good unless it's on the current page when someone who can help passes by.

I'd be happy to. If you get in a dungeon with the right people (i.e. those of us who are insane and run them a hundred times) you'd have a fairly smooth ride and get lots of info.

Having mumble, even to listen, is very useful, as there's a lot of tells we can warn you about and it's faster than typing.

Thanks! Will try to get something going near the weekend seeing as that seems to be in line with everyone's play time :]

I have mumble but I have no clue on how to get it linked to the one in the OP. :/

Plenty of us would! What is your in-game name anyway, I feel like I must have seen you at some point by now.

You want to get a group together for AC Story. It's a good introduction to the dungeon concept now. You can get used to group placement, bosses, reviving, etc. without too much of a challenge or a lengthy endeavor. Once you feel confident in there, a ton of the others are a lot of fun and very rewarding (basically, you get everything but good loot, guaranteed), but the most important thing is just to have a patient group of guildies rather than a PUG wondering why you don't know everything like you've done it 50 times before.

At level 72 you can really do any dungeon- the listed level requirements are just recommendations, if you have 4 80s with you you'll be fine and it's a great way to level!

Thanks again for the info!
My game name or my toon's name?

Level 72 toon is Reivine
I was the one constantly asking where to go in chat from that one bounty vid someone posted (they didn't get to record the bounty I faced though ).

Scum

Bollocks to what you lot want! I want GW1 Weapon & Armour sets/skins, starting with Kurzick Female Mesmer Armour.

Katoki

I need some good farming places...

Also, would it be worth it to server jump to GAFs server?

If you're on EU, depends if you're cool with the cost of doing so. If you're on the NA side, there's no real need to unless you don't want to hit guest every time you log in or if you wanted to hit WvW with them.

I guest on SBI the majority of the time that I'm online.

Retro

I have mumble but I have no clue on how to get it linked to the one in the OP. :/

Server > Connect > Add New > Enter address / port, enter your username (Use your GAF name so we know who you are), hit ok > Connect. We usually hang out in General Chat 1, which this week is called "1) Open the Door"... you can guess what General Chat 2 and 3 are.

Also, would it be worth it to server jump to GAFs server?

If your current server isn't doing it for you, I'd consider doing it. Maybe wait until after the patch though, tomorrow will probably have the usual problems a game with an enormous population all trying to download a patch has. Would hate for your account to get lost in the shuffle if there's any kind of problems.

Throwing in a new weapon or two (since not every profession would use the same weapon) is a decent way to introduce new skills and matching traits to all of the existing professions at once.

Adding a new profession is neat, but obviously it makes the existing professions old, so hopefully any new profession they add is built around a bunch of new weapon types everyone else can use. Thus, even though there's a hot new profession in town, everybody gets something cool and new.

I'd rather see them add one new profession, a Heavy armor class to round out the numbers; there's currently three light professions and three medium, but Warrior and Guardian are the only heavies. I'm slightly OCD about the balance.

Anyways, we've had this discussion many times before, but let's have it again;

Great Axe/Two-Handed Axe: Warrior, Necromancer, Ranger (maybe Guardian)
Fist Weapon: Warrior, Guardian, Thief, Engineer, Elementalist, Mesmer.
Whip (1h): Thief, Ranger, Mesmer, Necromancer.
Glaive (1h Spear): Warrior, Guardian, Ranger, Thief, Mesmer
Halberd (2h Spear): Warrior, Ranger, Elementalist, Necromancer
Javelin (Off-hand Spear): Warrior, Ranger, Thief, Necromancer

Give Thief staff (for some bo-staff support-style ninja/monk-ery) and Engineer hammer, maybe (since it seems like a useful tool for a combat engineer).

Also, Engineer needs a new kit, a steampunk-looking multi-gun that has all sorts of bits and pieces from other firearms slapped onto it haphazardly to give it a lot of versatility. Give it a Sniper Shot (Increased damage the further you are from target, for a long-range profession like engineer, this seems like a no-brainer), an underslung Grenade Launcher (no manual targeting, has a slight AOE but causes bleeding to one target), Rapid/Automatic Fire (like the warrior Volley, just fire off a ton of rounds quickly) and a special explosive round you can fire and then trigger to detonate at a specific range (like the Guardian orb). Maybe that one does fire damage.

The 5 ability would be the best though; you manually target a spot on the ground and throw the weapon to that location, unequipping the kit. If an ally picks it up, they get to use the weapon for a while (like an elementalist's conjured weapons), but if an enemy gets near it, it triggers a booby trap that causes a ton of conditions. Like the Dragon assault rifle from Perfect Dark, basically.

Give it some badass name like "The Mauler", "Southsun Special" or something and we're good to go.

Anyone want to toss out a third Heavy armor profession?

I would put Elementalist on whip instead on Fist Weapons.
IDK, just something about whips that seem like it would go well with mages.

As for the 3rd heavy class I completely agree. Would love to make a Sylvari with mid-level gear but I already have a Asura Thief at lev 30 and I'm not too taken by the Ranger and eng classes so I would also like a 4th mid level class ... but that would throw off the balance even more so I would take a 3rd heavy over anything.

It could be a Samurai/ Mercenary/ Pit Fighter or Berserker class.

Server > Connect > Add New > Enter address / port, enter your username (Use your GAF name so we know who you are), hit ok > Connect. We usually hang out in General Chat 1, which this week is called "1) Open the Door"... you can guess what General Chat 2 and 3 are.

Aaaa, I got it now. Just popped in and out :)
Thanks!

Retro

I would put Elementalist on whip instead on Fist Weapons.
IDK, just something about whips that seem like it would go well with mages.

In my mind, Fist Weapons for the Elementalist would actually give them more versatility; whatever attuenement you're in, you conjure an elemental weapon for your own use. Not in the same way the Utility skills work, but you actually have a whole new weapon depending on which element you're using. So a giant Stone Hammer (with a head shaped like a fist, of course), Flame Whip (with little flaming claws at the end, Electrical Spear and Frost Claws would be perfect.

Whips are good for mages, but the Elementalist's weapon setup is so complicated I almost don't want to see them get too many more one-hand or off-hand weapons. Stick with a pair of magical, Infinity Gauntlet-type casting channels.

It could be a Samurai/ Mercenary/ Pit Fighter or Berserker class.

I feel like if they go with a "Dread Knight" or "Battlemage" type character it will tread on both the Guardian (who is sort of a magic-using heavy class) and draw unfavorable comparisons to other games who chose to introduce a new class that was an evil plate wearer... ahem... anyways...

Some kind of Lancer might be cool, as an excuse to incorporate non-aquatic spears into the game. I feel like ArenaNet could really cook something badass up in the same way Mesmers just feel very unique to the Guild Wars world. I feel like going Ninja/Samurai/Deathknight/Lancer is a little cliche. I'd love to see something from way out of left field that nobody else has ever seen before. I'll think on it, I guess... gotta do something while waiting for the patch tomorrow.

Also, in before Paragons. Paragons are Guardians now, get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom