• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
WvW is incredible now, played 5 hours or so yesterday. For the moment, most are still a bit too hyped and going for mega-zergs, but that did already start to change. Being able to actually see your opponents (and allies!) is a gamechanger. Who would have thought so?

Crazy shit going down:
Straight-up awesome, Durante. What server are you playing for anyway?

lol51

An Update to WvW happenings:

CD has been Trebbing bay for the last 3 hours from SW tower. ~20 people. We will probably lose it. We are out of supply now and the commander active just keeps yelling at us lol.

While that was happening, Maguuma quietly snuck in and took hills. They had about 40 people and 3 siege golems. I had to log out, they were heading towards garrison last i heard.

We don't have enough people active in these hours. Now they are trading paper bay/garrison.

TrounceX

Yeah so, WvW is the best thing ever now.

. said:
zcL1VBz.jpg

This is our main zerg. We were having it out with MAG for a bit in this canyon when all of a sudden...

. said:

Crystal Desert appears on the horizon!

Queue an epic 3 way battle in this tiny canyon. I was right in the heart of all the chaos frantically using all my skills, my screen lit up with critical hits, downed people everywhere, loot everywhere, exp everywhere... So much damn fun. CD went down easy like the pushovers they are, but we finally succumbed to mag reinforcements after like a 15 minute battle.

Oh and

. said:

Remember the Durios!

We held the tower by all stacking in the Lord's Room. Once we repelled them, and after a bit of siege, we split our forced in half. Half stayed in Durios, the rest waypointed and flanked from behind. Fearless leader Bannok is the best damn commander in the game I swear.

Guardian Staff 5 has changed, for the better. 1 second cast time. Cast on the move. Feels like the range has been increased too. Time to go Gandalf.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Guardian Staff 5 has changed, for the better. 1 second cast time. Cast on the move. Feels like the range has been increased too. Time to go Gandalf.
That happened last month. I know it's hard to keep track of, as the changes are frequently minor (cast time was always 1 second).

That happened last month. I know it's hard to keep track of, as the changes are always so minor (cast time was always 1 second).

In fairness, I haven't really played for a good month or two due to work and other games. Was cast time really always 1 second? Seemed to take forever, but that might have been the feeling of having to stand still to cast.

TrounceX

So do you have the setting on to just show nametags and not models?

At that point I had both character limit and character quality set to "medium", which was the default.

A bit later on I changed the limit to Highest and it didn't affect my fps much. I keep about 20fps during the big fights.

Really all you need to see are the nameplates though. If this was before they removed culling we wouldn't have even seen that CD zerg coming until they were on top of us (2nd screenshot)

It's really made a huge difference in strategy already. My only problem is that it's really hard to travel anywhere by yourself. Noobs will see you a mile away and chase you down.

Holy bejesus, wow. Thanks for the shots and the recap. I've never run with Bannok.

I didn't get a chance to touch WvW yesterday even for a minute... hop to jump in tonight!

Do it! Around 6 Eastern is when our good commanders get on and things start to get serious.

So I ended up having to download everything again last night and thus didn't get to play haha It's funny because I didn't pay attention to how much was downloading at first and I was starting to wonder what was taking so long (downloaded in the back ground). So quick question, do you guys that have modified the .dat to generate a new one keep the old dat file? I don't really care to have the game taking up double it's size if I don't need to. I would think people that keep it only do so as a backup, correct? Pretty sure everything is on the server so I won't lose anything by deleting it but want to verify.

Retro

Keybinds are server side, as well as a few other things, but some preferences (music, for sure) are still in the local.dat. I keep mine just because I'm equal parts paranoid and packrat, but you can probably safely dump it if you remember roughly what your preferences are.

I pretty much just put the highest settings on everything so wouldn't be hard to do it again if needed. If I play a session first, it should save all that under the new .dat though, right? Probably a stupid question.

Retro

I pretty much just put the highest settings on everything so wouldn't be hard to do it again if needed. If I play a session first, it should save all that under the new .dat though, right? Probably a stupid question.

Yeah, it would just create a new local.dat with your settings but little else.

Yeah, it would just create a new local.dat with your settings but little else.

Oh it already created the new .dat file, I just wanted to ensure it has everything I need as it's around 1GB smaller than the old file. I imagine it's because downloading all the patches again from scratch, it's probably truncated as some stuff has been modified or removed over time.

Retro

So there was so much shit in the patch yesterday that I completely skimmed over this little factoid (which I had to look up thanks to a KillTenRats article today);

After completion, Living Story instances can be experienced again by speaking with the Replay NPCs stationed inside each completed instance location. In the case of Rox and Braham’s combat instances, repeatable rewards can be earned once a day per account.

I don't even remember what I earned for completing the story instance, I was still in Shiny/New mode and didn't really process it. Gonna have to try that again today after the reset.

Oh it already created the new .dat file, I just wanted to ensure it has everything I need as it's around 1GB smaller than the old file. I imagine it's because downloading all the patches again from scratch, it's probably truncated as some stuff has been modified or removed over time.

Right, from what I remember, the local.dat file basically acts as a reference for patches, but it doesn't clean itself up so it just gets bigger with every patch. I seem to recall (but can't find now) an ANet guy comment that they are investigating it and removing the file has no significant impact.

While looking, I noticed that it keeps your "Remember username/pass" option for the loader there too (not actually saving that info, just that you want the game to remember it). If you don't have your password memorized or written down and have been relying on the game remembering it, the local.dat removal is gonna give you a password recovery headache too.

Durante

Straight-up awesome, Durante. What server are you playing for anyway?
I'm on Gunnar's Hold, since I have some RL friends there.

Here's another screenshot where you can actually see quite a few (~40) people in the distance (and our treb hitting Anza):
gw36772di0.jpg

It almost feels like a different game. It's not just much better for gameplay and strategy, the confrontations also feel a lot more epic.

So there was so much shit in the patch yesterday that I completely skimmed over this little factoid (which I had to look up thanks to a KillTenRats article today);

I don't even remember what I earned for completing the story instance, I was still in Shiny/New mode and didn't really process it. Gonna have to try that again today after the reset.

Karma Box and *Insert Item here* for the on screen reward. For the first day it was A bonfire for the norn and a 12 slot bag for the Charr. I imagine those were one time only items. There was also an additional Karma box in the mail after first completion. I imagine you can only get that once as well but we'll see.

Karma boxes are 2k karma each.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The culling improvements are pretty incredible. I logged on for a few minutes and joined EB:

We were at Orgath Uplands, sieging Ogrewatch Cut and we could actually see defenders scurrying around on the keep walls setting up arrow carts. We also managed to spot the defending zerg run out of the keep and were able to prepare a chokehold a good minute in advance. They've done great work on that front.

Retro

Karma Box and *Insert Item here* for the on screen reward. For the first day it was A bonfire for the norn and a 12 slot bag for the Charr. I imagine those were one time only items. There was also an additional Karma box in the mail after first completion. I imagine you can only get that once as well but we'll see.

Not bad, they're pretty quick and easy, not exactly hard or expensive to get to (especially North Nolan Hatchery). I might hit 'em up again today just to see if I can get anything else.

Maybe a good place to farm up Fused Metal scraps too, considering they can salvage down to Mithril/Orch, Cores and even Lodestones rarely. And we don't know if they're used for anything else yet. Or at they very least, cash em out at the TP while speculation is still semi high (or did it crash last night? I haven't checked). I'll see what I get out of it tonight.

I also need to do the eavesdropping mission for the Whispers too, from all accounts it sounds badass.

Retro

Huh, I got a "Continue Coin" from a chest

Yeah, got one last night. They're related to the April Fools event.

That's why people whining that "nothing has changed" with this patch (as if making WvW better across the board from both a technical and gameplay mechanic perspective was insignificant) have no idea what they're talking about; in another week the holiday portion of this patch drops and by all accounts it's huge.

The map for the Super Adventure Box is the size of the Eternal Battleground.

Let that sink in.

Right, from what I remember, the local.dat file basically acts as a reference for patches, but it doesn't clean itself up so it just gets bigger with every patch. I seem to recall (but can't find now) an ANet guy comment that they are investigating it and removing the file has no significant impact.

While looking, I noticed that it keeps your "Remember username/pass" option for the loader there too (not actually saving that info, just that you want the game to remember it). If you don't have your password memorized or written down and have been relying on the game remembering it, the local.dat removal is gonna give you a password recovery headache too.

I have my password memorized so that won't be an issue, sounds like I can delete it without much difficulty, thanks!

As for the living quest, you get a 12-item storage?! I have pathetically never upgraded my storage for my Mesmer and it's been brutal having the crappy 4-item sacks this whole time with him. No way I'm doing dungeon runs until I upgrade that haha I must get that 12 item! Razing takes place in Foothills and Plateau, right?

Xevren

I played early in the morning, culling being gone in WvWvW is so nice. I still prefer sPvP though, if anything just because the numbers are even.

Retro

As for the living quest, you get a 12-item storage?! I have pathetically never upgraded my storage for my Mesmer and it's been brutal having the crappy 4-item sacks this whole time with him. No way I'm doing dungeon runs until I upgrade that haha I must get that 12 item! Razing takes place in Foothills and Plateau, right?

Yep, you get it from doing Rox's missions in Diessa Plateau, and the area is not far from the north gate of Black Citadel (Nolan Waypoint). Braham's stuff is in northern section of Wayfarer Foothills, a bit harder to get to.

Keep in mind you need to visit the Black Citadel to start the story mission, you can get into the instance before then, but nothing happens and a door is usually shut. Check your in-game mail, it gives you pretty clear directions.

Lunar15

I want to play the new content, but I'm stupid busy this week + Bioshock/Luigi's Mansion/HarmoKnight.

Maybe on the weekend I'll try out some WvW.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It almost feels like a different game. It's not just much better for gameplay and strategy, the confrontations also feel a lot more epic.

The culling improvements are pretty incredible.
Goddamn, can't wait.

You got it backwards actually; Braham's campfire and Rox's bag came in the mail. The UI reward is a 2,000 Karma box and a couple Bags of Coins.

However, note that the smorgasbord of Molten Alliance mobs drop Heavy Ritual Bags and Heavy Miner's Bags, which you can sell at the end of doing the instances for a nice little sum.

Yep, you get it from doing Rox's missions in Diessa Plateau, and the area is not far from the north gate of Black Citadel (Nolan Waypoint). Braham's stuff is in northern section of Wayfarer Foothills, a bit harder to get to.

Keep in mind you need to visit the Black Citadel to start the story mission, you can get into the instance before then, but nothing happens and a door is usually shut. Check your in-game mail, it gives you pretty clear directions.

That sounds perfect for me, I have Foothills cleared so I can warp wherever but I haven't done any Charr zone besides Iron Marches so I would warp to BC via LA anyway. It took most of the night to download likely but I checked this morning before coming into work and it finished downloading all the patches :) I'll be able to log on tonight but I also started Bioshock so will have to balance. How long do the Razing story missions take? an hour each? shorter?

That sounds perfect for me, I have Foothills cleared so I can warp wherever but I haven't done any Charr zone besides Iron Marches so I would warp to BC via LA anyway. It took most of the night to download likely but I checked this morning before coming into work and it finished downloading all the patches :) I'll be able to log on tonight but I also started Bioshock so will have to balance. How long do the Razing story missions take? an hour each? shorter?

The Charr instance area is super close to the Charr capital anyhow so you won't have far to travel from there.

Retro

How long do the Razing story missions take? an hour each? shorter?

I was done with them in about an hour total, but there's also a mission from the Order of Whispers to pick up listening devices based on vague clues (read: scavenger hunt) that I haven't gotten to.

On one hand, I wish they had gated the content a little more to make it last. On the other, people tend to complain excessively when things are gated. If ArenaNet starts doing more regular Living Story updates like they've hinted, it would make things better. Here's hoping that rumor pans out.

Trey

I do not see how WvW could be anything but primarily zergs. There is power in numbers. The "skill gap" in MMOs is not huge.

Introducing some diminishing returns aspect to zerging would cause more trouble than it's worth.

I'm interested to hear what improvements people think should be made to WvW's mechanics.

I do not see how WvW could be anything but primarily zergs. There is power in numbers. The "skill gap" in MMOs is not huge.

Introducing some diminishing returns aspect to zerging would cause more trouble than it's worth.

I'm interested to hear what improvements people think should be made to WvW's mechanics.

Preventing Zergs isn't possible so long as there are Keeps and Towers. It's just not going to happen. It's actually the side effect of a good thing, that WvW players on most servers actually have server pride.. to the extent that from T4-5 and up players will sit in keeps all day accruing no points so they can scout.

What I think can be done to support more Skirmish battles would be adjusting the drop rates. Making badges and T6 materials (add them if they're not on a tables already) drop primarily at the beginning of engagements and DR with every player kill in X minutes would make searching for roaming groups better for returns than rolling in Zerg v. Zerg. Since being in a zerg rolling a handful of players wouldn't benefit most of the zerg, people would opt for smaller groups where everyone has a better chance of getting credit. Combine it with the current system of recently killed = less value and you should have a system that supports more havoc squads roaming around and engaging throughout the map.

I haven't put extensive thought into though so beyond the whole "that would be incredibly hard to accomplish" aspect, I haven't found any holes in the idea. Feel free to swiss cheese the idea if any of you do.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I'm puzzled by the regularity of this complaint as well. These are massive battlefields accomodating hundreds of simultaneous players across mutliple maps- under what criteria could rallying massive armies not be the basic tactical component?

If we can grant the premise that it is necessary, ideally what everyone should want is for there to be viable ways to contribute to your world without participating in a zerg. But these already exist. 5-10 man havoc squads can stay in continuous motion, flipping camps and interrupting supply routes while the zerg barrels on sieging towers and keeps. A small group can complete the mercenary events and give their world a slight edge on a given map. Pairs or individuals can act as scouts, stationing themselves at high vantage points and relaying crucial information to their world's commanders. If doing none of the above interest you at any given moment, you can even take a breather and do the jumping puzzles. Getting free blueprints is helping out future encounters when having siege or not having it may become the deciding factor in victory or defeat.

Now, as far as countering the nature of the zerg (numbers conquer all!), I believe there were two critical changes in this patch:

-No more culling means that you can see a zerg coming and see how big it is. This is huge. You can decide whether it is worthwhile for your party/guild/squad to try to hold the line in combat, or employ a tactical retreat, sacrificing the objective you were working on for the ability to regroup and hit something else- hopefully with the element of surprise as the enemy zerg stays focused on the remaining members of your own.

-The changes to the outmanned buff mean that consciously engaging in combat scenarios where the odds are overwhelmingly against you will a) no longer carry any financial penalty whatsoever, unlike death for the greater force, and b) actively reward you for the effort with increased World XP. This is tremendous incentive to participate in "losing battles" rather than simply allow the enemy to run literally uncontested, and everyone should welcome the change with open arms.

As to the future, and how the mechanics of WvW could be further refined:

-More types of siege with more niche or unique functions
-More events that can be completed by small groups or individual to provide slight tactical advantages to their server
-In-game diplomacy options for the second and third-place teams to call for a temporary alliance complete with UI changes to have force and effect for those not paying attention (invaders from that world appear as green/allies for 1 hour) or at least tools for the commanders of each force to communicate with one another. As it stands, it is always in the best interest of the team in the #1 slot to employ "divide and conquer" tactics; maintaining a healthy number of capped points that can be defended or reclaimed easily, the top team can watch in delight as whichever victor emerges in a battle between teams two and three ultimately reflects a victory for the top team. Thus the struggle often becomes a race for who can get second place that week, with the team at the top having little to worry about by the end of the cycle.

edit: @Jest: I like your ideas about non-Zerg activities providing better consistent loot drops than sticking with a Zerg, to provide incentive to seek out other activities. However, this is unlikely to shift the distribution all that notably alone, because it doesn't actively change the required tactics for success, only the rewards for engaging in certain parts of them. Unless the rewards were so dramatically better for doing one thing over any other that it was impossible to resist (say, a guaranteed rare ;)), the distribution of players doing different things in WvW is likely to reflect what the distribution would be like if there were no item rewards at all- meaning that the loot is likely secondary to the desire to win for most participating.

etiolate

Banned
Got to rank 5 in WvWvW yesterday. I am also messing around with a Confusion build for my Mes.

Not sure how you would lessen the amount of Zerg in WvWvW. There's probably siege ways to do it. I've had an idea to give the NPC groups you can gain friendship with each a unique siege item that you earn by befriending them.

The Zergs play out differently now that everyone can see each other. Where you attack from and come from is going to be more important now that everyone can see each other.

Boogdud

Not to jump on the "all things are super unicorn fantastic" with this patch, but, they did fix the condition duration runes so that they actually work now.

...which will inevitably mean a big nerf to the (now) only viable engi build (p/p hgh). But still, it's fixed.

Boogdud

I'm puzzled by the regularity of this complaint as well. These are massive battlefields accomodating hundreds of simultaneous players across mutliple maps- under what criteria could rallying massive armies not be the basic tactical component?

Agreed.

But boy, I think it would be really funny to have some kind of mechanic on a catapult projectile or some other siege weapon (that cost a lot of money or supplies) that would launch a temporary plague into a zerg. Effectively making them kill each other within a certain proximity, but would do no damage as long as they were xxxx amount of feet away from each other.

If only to see the zerg scatter just briefly. Sure would be one hell of a defense weapon... Also comedy.

/dreaming

etiolate

Banned
Being able to build barriers to create cut off points would be a way to counter zergs. Force them either to funnel through a small area or stop to take down the barriers.

Xevren

So long as it doesn't create the old Milegate type problem Dark Age of Camelot had, I'm all for it. MG camping in that was so awful. But with the way the land works in this I don't ever see something like that being a problem.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
FYI every Audio Log you turn in from a Sonic Periscope is worth 100 karma.

They're per character and reset once a day but I don't really think you'll run out :p

Light instanced story spoiler:
I wonder what Rox is gonna name her little babyvourer.

Well my problem is exactly how forgiving the community actually is. Those complaints I listed above are something that could have been fixed long ago, but alas I don't know what the hell anet is thinking about anymore.

Nothing is perfect. You can spend your time getting angry at something you don't have any control over. Reading your own posts induces tumors just from your sheer arrogance.

You are right about a lot of things, just everyone is right about wishing and hoping for world peace. But it's not gonna get better. Your "problem" is trying to change things you can't understand, and then you get agitated when people in this thread find enjoyment in this game, despite the things that suck.

It's not that people can't see it, or that they don't give constructive feedback on the forums. It's because of two things;

1) nobody really wants to listen to their negative bullshit (which has been hammered through and through this thread lots of times over the months). Most people in this sub-GAF have enough consideration for other posters to ask themselves if their whining (and yes, it is whining!) is really what other people want to read.

2) things are not going to magically change because people are less forgiving or more hostile. It's never happened in any MMO. It only creates more anger and resentment.

You have a high sense of entitlement, and you get annoyed by external factors that you do not have any control over. That is fine. But dont fucking come online and basically tell other people to jump on your shitty wagon.

This game, is what it is. This is not an attack on you, but your post sucks. You got every right to be critical but not to be a douchebag, and your articulating yourself a bit douchey. Don't do that. The official forums have lots of people who expect perfection and them to iron out everything there is wrong with it.
Every company, every publisher and every community all have idiots who make bad choices, wrong calls and spread crap throughout the airwaves. Spoiler alert is that GW2 will never be close to perfect, but IMO this game is more fun than almost any online Action RPG game I've played. If there was something better, I would play that. You get your moneys worth? good. got tired of it? stop playing until your not tired of it, or move on.
Don't act like this game owes you something. It gives immense value for the money. It's a splendid game, I think.

The reason complaints about WvW being reduced to constant zerg battles baffle me as this is what sPVP is for, no? If you don't want to fight in large grand battles, play the other pvp mode, that's what it's for. One is for developing your skills and competitively matching your skill set against other individuals or small groups and the other is for uniting large parties under one banner for large scale battles. Also WvW obviously adds another dynamic besides simply killing, there are useful roles for individuals that don't care to fight so much.

I'm sure there are still other issues present but this patch addressed the largest problems for WvW in my mind. Culling was the biggest deal, but also it gets rather tedious eventually when you are just flipping forts constantly for points. Adding the proverbial carrot on a stick to individual players by granting them rewards is a good way to add incentive and uphold interest. Not for everybody, of course but there are always many people in multiplayer games that are obsessed with their personal rank (see any Halo thread) and unlocking special skills plus adding increased value to WvW tokens adds incentive for those that don't care solely about rank.

Whether you think the game has a lot of problems or not, it's hard to deny that ANET has constantly been adding features and trying to make the game better. I think that's pretty encouraging. Constant updates and tweaks and additions don't sound like a developer that's apathetic or far removed to me. I understand it's frustrating when you discover a glaring issue and it appears to be ignored, but remember that the game hasn't even been out a year yet and there's certainly a chance it will be addressed in time. Culling has been an issue for quite a while, but they finally found a solution for it and have implemented it. If there's anything I'll be ANET defense force about, it's that they are certainly working to make their game and it's world better and they don't appear to be slowing down at all.

On another note, we've known this patch would be concentrated on WvW for a long time which has increased my curiosity more than usual on what we'll get in the April patch. One of these months they'll add the means to search for dungeon groups in-game...At least when I'm ready to do my dungeon runs I'm in the guild now so can do some with you guys.

Retro

With culling fixed and a WvW progression system in place, they can start adding onto the whole of that game mode with even more content. Off the top of my head;

New types of siege, from landmines (imagine a bunch of people work together to mine a particular pass, that'll stop a zerg in its tracks) to moveable siege towers. Instead of making every match a fight through a wall or gate, that would make it more of a running game where nothing is really secure and things change hands much more often (which is a problem currently; first place usually gains a huge lead and squats on stuff).

New maps and new areas of the existing maps. They've said before that they want to add new maps to WvW, and we've already seen that they can sneak stuff into otherwise ambiguous patches of the world (Guild puzzles and such).

More WvW Abilities to provide for more specialized play.

More events and features, like Breakout Events, sentires, etc.​

That's been the big picture behind the last three patches; building up platforms on which content can be built. It's very easy for them to generate more content with less effort because the foundation is already laid for expansion. They can drop a new Fractal in any time they want, new events, bounty targets, WvW abilities. I think they realized after launch that the game wasn't as future-proof as they wanted and set to work on that.

Not to jump on the "all things are super unicorn fantastic" with this patch.

cVRrN.jpg

Being able to build barriers to create cut off points would be a way to counter zergs. Force them either to funnel through a small area or stop to take down the barriers.

This is a fantastic idea. Instead of supply being used to react to fortifications (whether to repair them or tear them down), supply could be used to create them. Somebody should do a big write-up about how that would be an awesome addition to the game or something.

Reading your own posts induces tumors just from your sheer arrogance.

You always waste a lot of good points responding to bad posts, man. I know you're passionate about the game, but you're still a junior and I know you've gotten a ban before. Honestly, just ignore posts like that, for both your sanity and your account. At the very least your oncologist will thank you.

The reason complaints about WvW being reduced to constant zerg battles baffle me as this is what sPVP is for, no? If you don't want to fight in large grand battles, play the other pvp mode, that's what it's for.

The big draw for RvR / WvW has always been "Huge, coordinated armies lay siege to keeps and fight for control of an enormous map". But the instant someone is out trying to hold a tower with 3 buddies and the huge army rolls around, the language changes and it stops being coordinated armies and becomes a "Mindless zerg".

Zerg is always something somebody else does to you, or at worst something you have to do to win/survive. I'm not a WvW expert by any means, but I know the most fun I've had in there is havoc squads. Fast, clever, evasive and consistently rewarding. You feel like you're slinking around behind enemy lines, outmaneuvering a huge force trying hard to pin you down and predict where you'll be next.

Adding more objectives that are built for smaller groups would be great.

On another note, we've known this patch would be concentrated on WvW for a long time which has increased my curiosity more than usual on what we'll get in the April patch. One of these months they'll add the means to search for dungeon groups in-game...At least when I'm ready to do my dungeon runs I'm in the guild now so can do some with you guys.

Well, dungeon revamps are still incoming, and if the improved AC experience is any indicator they should be pretty good. Also, April wraps up the Flame and Frost storyline, so hopefully it has a big, epic conclusion.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, WvW is pure raw potential, and it's so exciting to imagine what it could be after years of refinement. Now with its primary technical deficiency apparently resolved (I have to say, even after these screenshots I still need to see it myself to believe it) and a solid progression system which encourages both specialization (you must allocate your points, even more granularly than your Trait points) and doing your leveling partly in WvW (WXP and regular XP are earned simultaneously, amazing for new players), the sky is the limit in terms of adding mechanics, content, and twists to the Mists.
On another note, we've known this patch would be concentrated on WvW for a long time which has increased my curiosity more than usual on what we'll get in the April patch.
Bear in mind that one way or another you're going to see quite a bit of crazy ish if you hop in Sunday night.

edit: SALE time, 30% off between now an April 1st (anyone buying the game within this window will have the Super Adventure Box be a part of their first impression of the game- I'm going to go out on a limb and say "not a coincidence.") Tell yo' friends!

Ebris

HEY GAF, GOTS SOME QUESTIONS.

I purchased (preordered, actually) GW2 early on, but I was never able to really play it due to a combination of RL matters and a faulty GPU. Well, I managed to get most of my ducks in a row and the GPU issue is now resolved, so I wanna hop into this game!

Before I did, though, I do have some questions:

1) I'm looking to start with either a warrior or guardian. I love greatswords, so that would likely be my first choice of weapons. I also want to get heavily involved with WvW as much as PvE, so I was wondering if either of those two professions are good for WvW? Also, are there any good guides/builds that could help me out some that focus around greatswords for WvW and PvE?

2) In light of that, what would be a good secondary set of weapons for a warrior/guardian who uses a greatsword in PvE and WvW?

3) Is it possible to balance playing between PvE and WvW or is it more advantageous to focus on one area primarily over the other?

Thanks ahead for your time!

Jira

Did some WvW last night at around 1am and I must say I was blown away by how well rendering works now. WvW not only runs better but you can see EVERYONE. Hit Rank 2 last night and I really had a blast going around with about 20 or so of us. We got into some fights with CD, some with Mag. We even sat there and shelled a tower wall from a SC, CD tried to come take us out but we had the high ground and wiped them out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
BAM BET YOU DIDNT THINK THEYD GET ANSWERED THIS FAST

1) I'm looking to start with either a warrior or guardian. I love greatswords, so that would likely be my first choice of weapons. I also want to get heavily involved with WvW as much as PvE, so I was wondering if either of those two professions are good for WvW? Also, are there any good guides/builds that could help me out some that focus around greatswords for WvW and PvE?
Warriors and Guardians are both quite excellent throughout the game. Both use greatswords to enormous effect. Both have awesome utility for WvW. You can't go wrong, pick the one that appeals to you more. For the record, Warriors have more viable range options and can use more weapons whereas Guardians have more support and control options.

2) In light of that, what would be a good secondary set of weapons for a warrior/guardian who uses a greatsword in PvE and WvW?
Guardian, WvW, you want staff. Bam. You want it. Just amazing group utility all around. In PvE, I've become rather fond of scepter/shield. With a lot of kiting and dodging you can wear stuff down while protecting your teammates and taking barely any damage. My esteemed co-leader Ashodin can provide more insight, he's a greatsword hound too.

I know nothing about Warriors.

3) Is it possible to balance playing between PvE and WvW or is it more advantageous to focus on one area primarily over the other?
Not only is it possible, you get XP and can level up quite easily in WvW. Playing a very balanced amount of both is basically ideal (although I dare you to try ;_: I get distracted by stuff to do VERY easily in-game).

Welcome! Join the guild immediately please. :D

Retro

Is it just me, or do they put GW2 on sale for all of the Holiday events? Either way, 30% off is good for people looking to get into the game, and for the haters it's a perfect opportunity to throw a few BOMBAs our way. That's always amusing.

Bear in mind that one way or another you're going to see quite a bit of crazy ish if you hop in Sunday night.

Yep, this patch was pretty big on its own, but they left off all the Holiday stuff. I wonder how long it will run, considering we've seen some pretty big maps already. I bet it's something like Wintersday, where it runs for a few weeks.

1.) Every profession is good for everything with few exceptions. Greatsword Warriors and Guardians are pretty fun and effective (in the case of Warriors, too effective with that 100 blades craziness). And there's a reason Guardians live by the motto "Spin to Win". Rangers and Mesmers also use Greatswords, I can't speak for Rangers myself but my wife swears by Greatsword mesmers and what I've played of it is a blast.

1a. As far as builds go, don't really worry about that until you start playing. For one, you'll want a different build while leveling than you will for endgame (for example, lots of people swear by a Signet build for Warriors up to about level 50). It's actually hard to make a bad build anyways, and since your trait points are refunded every time you advance to a new tier of traits (at level 40 and 60, respectively) you'll have chances to refund them anyways.

2. Depends on what you're doing and how you trait, I can't speak to Guardians since my highest one is in the 30s, but on a Warrior, Hammer is great for knockback/down and stun, Rifle or Longbow will give you range (single target and AOE, respectively). Sword is good for utility (condition damage, gap closer, cripple), mace is defensive as hell, axe is a treat. Same for those three in the off-hand slot. Shield can also be used to great effect, and Warhorn is extremely useful in WvW too.

And that's pretty much every weapon Warriors can use (yes, I did list all of them intentionally); it's not about optimization, it's more about personal preference. Find the right 'feel' for you and have a blast.

3. Whichever you like. You're auto-leveled to 80 in WvW, but you still gain experience (both regular and WvWXP) so you can level up doing that if you like. HOWEVER, you don't have any traits, utility skills or elite skills, and while your gear scales up you won't have that many stats on it to scale anyways. I'd recommend waiting until 30 or 40 at least before you jump into WvW hardcore, but feel free to play before then. You just won't be quite as effective, but you can still contribute and have fun.

BAM BET YOU DIDNT THINK THEYD GET ANSWERED THIS FAST
Or answered twice back to back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom