• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astra

What time are you doing the dungeons? I am usually on from 9pm MST - 11:30 pm mst most nights. I am always up for doing dungeons that I can participate in. AC - TA right now.

We were thinking around 11pm EST, so 9pm your time. Perfect!

It's definitely there.

AC Story used to be incredibly tough- one of the tougher paths of all the story modes at launch. It was completely redone in January to be more welcoming. I liked how tough it was at first, but I can see how some people would've been really frustrated with how quickly the difficulty spikes compared to the open world.

Edit: Xeno, I think like ummm MST okay... well yeah 9pm MST!

Story Mode was very hard initially and in all reality it was too hard for some as first dungeon to the point where people actually stopped running dungeons due to AC's initial difficulty. The revamped AC is more in line with what it should have been originally which was an introduction to dungeon mechanics. Over time through testing it feels like they overtuned it as QA got better and better.

I probably would have preferred it to be tough, especially when you're in a group. It's always much more fun and satisfying, but understandable that they had to dial back the difficulty.

I just realized I don't even know where in Tyria I am. I better travel to the Catacombs beforehand and be ready.

Jira

I remember hearing that, then some troll showed up and damn near 1 shot everyone! That troll is kind of a dick =[

The troll is the only part of AC story that poses a challenge. It is just a scaled down version of the Explorable troll with all of his skills, but has HP and does damage built for Story mode.

'Ello, Gents. I've been busy with work and shows and haven't played in a few months, but since I plan on taking a break from theatre, I want to jump back in. How are the Guild Missions and the redone dungeons since the last time I played?

Retro

'Ello, Gents. I've been busy with work and shows and haven't played in a few months, but since I plan on taking a break from theatre, I want to jump back in. How are the Guild Missions and the redone dungeons since the last time I played?

Awesome and Awesome, what we've experienced of them so far.

Guild Bounties are fun, Treks are more difficulty than expected.

All three paths of the improved AC are fantastic.

Astra

I lost track, but if you still need people I'm in. Should be on then.

Sounds good! The more the better.

I made it to the Black Citadel, and feel like an idiot. I was traveling there on foot until I realized I can just use the Asura Gate in Lion's Arch, haha. D'oh.

Astra

Alright, we're right outside the dungeon now. All set for anyone else who wants to join up!
Not sure what to do from here, though, haha.

Rolling through Sorrow's Embrace path 1 with five guardians deep. If you look carefully at the party bar all five of us have Virtue of Justice on cooldown, and Tazza being burned to oblivion. To quote Lil Jp, "all these boons."
ilKAZYlgqFPuZ.bmp
Congrats again to Elazul for looting a precursor during this run!

Edit: Just realized that Klez was using Staff 1 in this screenshot. Look at that cone AoE: that's why staff is so good for TA blossoms.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
really great T1 bounty, AC story, ogre wars, small party bounty hunt training, new claw of jormag, and 10 GAF tPvP wins tonight O,o

Katoki

"What a long, strange trip it's been."

There was no need to reformat since I'm still on the same Z77 chip set. All I had to do is clean out the old motherboard's stuff and put on the new drivers. Whew.

Erasus

Just got a mail that this is 30% off... hmm. I love MMOs like TERA, Aion but TERA is so unoptimized I cant play it... 22fps in dungeons.

Does this run on a 3.2AMD Phenom 2 Quad, 6GB RAM and a 7770
And I dont mean solo, ofc that runs fine, but when doing dungeons/pvp?
What settings are worth turning down/off?

Played some GW1 but never got into it really... but I hear this is more like Aion/TERA in that its a traditional MMO

Ashodin

Just got a mail that this is 30% off... hmm. I love MMOs like TERA, Aion but TERA is so unoptimized I cant play it... 22fps in dungeons.

Does this run on a 3.2AMD Phenom 2 Quad, 6GB RAM and a 7770
And I dont mean solo, ofc that runs fine, but when doing dungeons/pvp?
What settings are worth turning down/off?

Played some GW1 but never got into it really... but I hear this is more like Aion/TERA in that its a traditional MMO

Dude, that computer will run this game beastly. No problem.

Erasus

Dude, that computer will run this game beastly. No problem.

I mean yes, but MMOs are weird on performance. Aion runs amazing but run into 10 people or more and framerate tanks. Same with SWTOR, PVP is LOL there.

TERA has a UI problem it runs on CPU. So if I turn off the UI I get 50fps, 25 with it off. Just wondering if GW2 has anything weird like that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This will be a point of contention I'm sure, but I'd actually say if you're looking for a traditional MMO it might still not scratch the itch. For example, there's no "holy trinity" in combat, no quest log, no mounts/flightpaths, etc.

However, it is a "themepark" MMO and certainly closer to a traditional one than GW1, which wasn't actually even an MMO at all. Anyway, your machine should do just fine running this!

Lunar15

Dammit video games, stop getting in the way of my video games.

How's WvW progression? Anyone who was previously not into WvW getting into it?

Dammit video games, stop getting in the way of my video games.

How's WvW progression? Anyone who was previously not into WvW getting into it?

WvW progression is nice, I'm only rank 2 and only upgraded to be more effective against guards. It is just nice knowing your gettig XP for those tank unlocks.

I've seen way more people from GAF playing. As a server I think we have more people playing, still not as many Maguma.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The troll is the only part of AC story that poses a challenge. It is just a scaled down version of the Explorable troll with all of his skills, but has HP and does damage built for Story mode.
Are you sure about the last part? So far as I can tell, he is literally identical to the version present in Explorable mode, and potentially meant to be skipped by new groups that wipe against him.

Ebris

HULLO AGAIN GAF.

Made my human warrior last night, got him to level 8. Loving it so far! My account name is Cognitive Genone.5483 so if anyone wants to add me or if any officers are on to invite me to the GAF Guild, feel free. Thanks!

If I am on then I totally will. Although my highest level character is my warrior at 54. I'll try and get 6 levels in the next two days to be able to go through more then just AC, CM, and TA (which I haven't done) with you guys.

lol51

The story mode dungeon-athon sounds like so much fun, but I wont be able to make it. Egg hunts and such...

Anyway, Been enjoying GW2 lately.

Killed my first WvW Grub - he drops a chest with Blueprints and Badges of Honor. He was culling like crazy but we got him. Bannik must have had 50+ people following him. We wiped 2 substantially sized Maguuma zergs. He never stayed still. Always kept moving. If we failed taking down a wall... he would just move on. Also, he would give 1-2 word orders at all times, which kept everyone following him.

Finished a monthly PvP achievement for the first time. Its so much different than hotjoin PvP. 5vs5 requires more strategy and isn't a huge cluster of people fighting outside of spawn. There are roamers, cappers, and bunkers - I have great mobility as a thief and play toughness vitality in sPvP. If all goes well I have thieves guild, rock minion, ambush trap, myself and 2 venoms + 4 mights applied to each of my adds. I feel like a mesmer in mind of a thief in the body of a norn ~ its a ton of fun.

lol51

I read that the WvW upgrade: Ballista Mastery 5: makes ballista better than rams and catapults at taking down walls. Also it is a very effective zerg wiper. Also with these upgrades it works as a catapult did to destroy rams behind a door.

People on reddit speculating this will get nerfed.

Jira

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/7259/The-Razing-is-a-Hit.html

Last night, while trying to figure out why Premiere kept locking up and dying on me while editing video, I got an email from NCsoft’s PR asking if we wanted to talk to ArenaNet’s Colin Johanson about the recent March 26th Guild Wars 2 update: The Razing. Focused largely on world versus world upgrades, Living Story continuation, with other tasty nuggets in the periphery, it seems The Razing has made the game’s WvW PVP action the talk of the town all over again. The Eternal Battlegrounds and their sister battlegrounds are seeing insanely high participation numbers which match and even exceed the activity initially seen at launch. It seems that the Razing is, for lack of a better word, a “hit” with the player-base. I spoke to Colin about the ingredients that made this so, and where we’ll see WvW and the Living Story head in the future. Read on.

No More Culling’s Effect on WvW

As stated above, the biggest portion of this patch was driven towards the World vs. World experience and polishing it up for players who crave that sort of large-scale epic battle game. In response to the update, after rectifying a pressing issue on Tuesday with a hotfix, the WvW experience has seen an incredible surge of activity that rivals and at times exceeds the game’s early days and honeymoon period. Colin said it’s become GW2’s most successful event, even though they’re just beginning to expand upon the WvW experience.

Even though Colin, by his words, “got crushed” by two different servers while participating in a tower defense, it was amazing to see hundreds of players on the screen at once charging the tower, attacking, and working like an army. While the new progression, titles, and rewards may be enough to lure people into WvW, Colin’s confident that the fact it all feels much more massive now with the culling fixed and eradicated is likely the real factor in holding people’s attention. Before, with culling an issue, it was hard to really see the size and scope of WvW... now? Not so much.

But on the subject of the new WvW progression, Colin said that the early numbers are showing lots of people picking up Damage Against Guards and Armor Against Guards as the leader in what people spend points on first. But he wants people to know that these few passive WvW abilities, though plenty to aim for, is not the end of what they plan on adding to the WvW progression system: “A big part of what [our World vs. World team] is going to do in the future is adding new abilities and stuff to this list. And we may not just do passive abilities.” They really view this as a key component of the WvW experience, and it’s just the beginning. They will be giving more and more reason to make you want to fight, not just at a personal character level, but also on a server-pride level.

There are likely going to be new and different home-maps, new map objectives, new things to do in World vs. World all around, because now that it’s gotten to the point where it’s rock-solid technically they get to decide where it grows from here. To build on that game-type and take it to a whole new level. So now they’re all coming together and deciding where to go with the system to give it a lot more variety from week to week and day to day.

The Living Story and Bye-Bye Talking Heads

One of the things they’re most proud of, small as it might be, is the way in which the Living Story ditched the “talking heads” vignettes players experienced all throughout their 1-80 personal story and instead opted for the more immediate and in-game voiced cinematics that are a lot more like Guild Wars 1. The talking heads took you out of the game each time, and ultimately Colin said that this more traditional representation of the character interaction just feels better and much less jarring.

But the Living Story is also all about giving players things to do in the Open World, and driving them into scripted story content on occasion (as seen in the new Rox and Braham missions with The Razing). Colin admitted that the Flame and Frost series of events may have begun slow, with small changes but that it’s all just leading up to a boiling point with the Razing. He even said that we haven’t yet seen anything when it comes to what they have planned for the Living Story, and that players can expect even more from The Razing chapter very soon.

They want players to be able to log in every week, every month, and see real meaningful things happening in the game world. Even the dynamic events they launched with were just the tip of the iceberg. Yes things like centaurs raiding a village can change the world temporarily, until the players or a timer changes it back. That’s not quite what their goal is with the Living Story. Colin and the team at ArenaNet want new regions opened up, cities burnt down, and areas discovered by the players. Lasting and meaningful changes is the ultimate goal of the Living Story, all serving a greater narrative. They want you to look back three years from now, maybe see a monument in a town commemorating a battle or fallen heroes, and say “Oh yeah, I was here when this happened. I took part in it.”

PVP Leaderboards - Activated Next Week (They Hope)

One final thing Colin wanted to bring up is the PVP Leaderboards. “Who’s the Best?” is the big question about any game’s competitive PVP. There are so many things they still want to add (spectator mode being one that’s coming along really well, I’m told), that the Leaderboards are really just the tip of the iceberg (there’s that phrase again). It had the fun aspect, the Glory, the weapons, the cosmetic gear. But the other pieces and tools are still to come. They’re very excited to say it’s all coming, with Matchmaking last month, and now Leaderboards, and soon Spectator Mode are all helping Guild Wars 2 towards having the eSport part of the game that was intended from the start.

When the Leaderboards go live you’ll be able to view rankings by Friends, Guild, Server, and Region. There won’t be a worldwide US and EU combined, at least yet. And when I asked Colin if you could scope out who was the best say, Asuran Engineer in the world (rankings by race and profession), he laughed and said “Not initially! But it’s certainly something they’re looking into for future updates.”

In all, it sounds like The Razing is a hit with most players, though there are of course the folks who disliked changes to their profession (though my Engineer isn’t complaining). Have you jumped back into World vs. World or experienced the Living Story updates? What do you think so far? Let us know below!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What's all this now?

Finished a monthly PvP achievement for the first time. Its so much different than hotjoin PvP. 5vs5 requires more strategy and isn't a huge cluster of people fighting outside of spawn. There are roamers, cappers, and bunkers - I have great mobility as a thief and play toughness vitality in sPvP. If all goes well I have thieves guild, rock minion, ambush trap, myself and 2 venoms + 4 mights applied to each of my adds. I feel like a mesmer in mind of a thief in the body of a norn ~ its a ton of fun.
I have to say... it really is an unadulterated blast. I feel embarrassed at how little I considered getting into sPvP before (the hot-join games can lead to some god-awful experiences- the quick tournaments are 2500% superior). You feel like you're actively contributing to your team the whole match, and there are opportunities for huge plays with Stillness and Tranquility on this week's map.

In a 5v5 PvP setting you can really see how well-thought out the combat interactions are in ways that never apply in PvE. To give one tiny example- with my thief, one of my favorite tricks has become setting up a nearly invisible trap in the Temple room. An ambush trap set in the corner, hiding on top of the barrels (shadow refuge if I think my mark is smart enough to check the room before trying to cap). As soon as they enter the circle thinking the cap point is uncontested, scorpion wire them through the ambush trap, pistol whip and suddenly they're nowhere near capping, stunned, and there are two of me. If I happen to catch someone specced glass cannon, I can often pull a kill off with this trap without taking a single point of damage.

This is all well and good, except if my mark is a motherfucking guardian, in which case without fail I forget about Virtue of Courage, and my scorpion wire hits the Aegis, unstealthing me and cluing them in to my position (if they're smart they'll wait at the cap point instead of crossing the trap to kill me) and then I'm in an attrition battle with a prepared Guardian which, if they're a bunker, can take from 2-5 years. I have to train myself, "if it's a guardian, shoot once first. Guardian, shoot once first."

On the other hand playing with my Mesmer feels completely different top to bottom, but is SO much fun to succeed with. When things are going wrong it's like you're barely able to keep track of how many clones you've got up, what shatters you have on cooldown, if your stun-break(s) are up, etc. But when things are clicking, you feel pretty uniquely unstoppable. You can really tell when someone you're fighting just has absolutely no idea what the hell is going on with clones popping up all around them and unexpected status effects or suddenly killing themselves in one shot with a confusion burst. Watching a Guardian or Ele waste a skill I know has a long cooldown on a worthless freebie clone I made by dodging has got to be one of my favorite PvP experiences in any game. Portal, Veil, Illusion of Life, Into the Void, and even the Illusionary Warden have completely different tactical implications than they do in WvW. I can tell the skill ceiling is just astoundingly high. What I really need to work on is remembering that I can always pop Distortion to turn the tide. The shatter I consider a true luxury in PvE content has caused me to lose many fights in a row against Mesmers that know the right time to use it.

And Temple of the Silent Storm isn't even the best map. Spirit Watch is straight-up amazing. It has my favorite mechanic of any of them (admittedly I don't understand every single map mechanic yet) and it really shows how much they've listened to feedback and the direction they want to take future designs.

Laugh and deride me as you must, I am going to make a prediction here and now that despite a very rocky initial offering and low esport viewership in the early days, GW2's PvP will eventually have a popular and well-respected metagame. Custom Arenas and Spectator Mode are both coming soon enough that the hooks are already in the game, and the fact that you can now pick and choose where to get your Laurels for the day/month is a game-changer to the typically PvP-averse.

edit: Well that interview was excellent, wow.

The Eternal Battlegrounds and their sister battlegrounds are seeing insanely high participation numbers which match and even exceed the activity initially seen at launch.
new and different home-maps, new map objectives, new things to do in World vs. World all around
He even said that we haven’t yet seen anything when it comes to what they have planned for the Living Story, and that players can expect even more from The Razing chapter very soon.
success-kid-original-pic.jpg

Levyne

Banned
My pets were actually somewhat useful in FotM yesterday! Love the tanky drake. Cat still dies fast though :(. That's what he gets for spec-ing glass cannon.

Jira

In other news, GW2 was one of the top contributors to the $20bn market revenue in 2012. PC gaming grew 8% YoY last year with over 1bn players and 250mil being core gamers.
"According to DFC Intelligence, the global PC gaming software market has grown to $20 billion in 2012, an increase of 8% over 2011. Games like Diablo 3 (pictured), Guild Wars 2, and Minecraft are credited for bolstering the industry, in spite of the decline of subscription MMOs and increased competition from mobile games."

"According to the non-profit group, there were over a billion PC gamers last year. More impressively, at least 250 million of those folks were "core" gamers playing "sophisticated strategy, action and role-playing" titles rather than casual fare."

http://www.shacknews.com/article/78421/report-pc-gaming-software-sales-reached-20-billion-in-2012

http://techreport.com/news/24575/pc-gaming-market-grew-8-in-2012

I hate that this game doesn't grab me. It has so much potential in my mind, and the thread is incredibly active, but when I sign in and start to play I just get instantly bored with the combat. Albeit, I'm only 37, but I just don't see it getting more interesting since the thing that doesn't click with me is the combat system.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
“A big part of what [our World vs. World team] is going to do in the future is adding new abilities and stuff to this list. And we may not just do passive abilities.”
Oh no. Oh God no.

Please don't, Colin. Grind/faction based skills was the worst thing to happen to GW1. I can't imagine how terrible it'd be in PvP.

Jira

Oh no. Oh God no.

Please don't, Colin. Grind/faction based skills was the worst thing to happen to GW1. I can't imagine how terrible it'd be in PvP.

I don't see them being like GW1 EOTN skills. They've said that if they do active abilities in WvW through rank ups they need to find a way to put them on the UI. My guess is they'll be similar to Racials where they have their uses from time to time but they're not going to be omg amazing like say Pain Inverter was in GW1.

Levyne

Banned
It would be hard to imagine so. Those skills in GW1 were some form of answer to "omg hard mode is too hard, elite missions are too hard", and were disabled in pvp combat. No way they do similar op skills specifically for pvp-like combat in wvw.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I wouldn't be so sceptical if I hadn't witnessed ArenaNet throw away all semblance of PvE class balance for 5 years until GW2's release.

Hence, when I hear grind-skills, alarms go off.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I hate that this game doesn't grab me. It has so much potential in my mind, and the thread is incredibly active, but when I sign in and start to play I just get instantly bored with the combat. Albeit, I'm only 37, but I just don't see it getting more interesting since the thing that doesn't click with me is the combat system.
Have you tried all the classes? "I'm only 37" gives me the impression you're maybe trying to stick to one that might not be your best fit?

I can think of some really interesting uses for WvW-unqiue abilities. Nothing game-changing, but things that could give you a slight edge at crucial moments, like Instantly Gain 2 Supply when you just barely can't get a piece of siege up, or turning yourself into a Pack Dolyak that shows up on the map as though you were a real supply Dolyak to lure people looking for easy kills away from the real ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom