• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
edit: @Jest: I like your ideas about non-Zerg activities providing better consistent loot drops than sticking with a Zerg, to provide incentive to seek out other activities. However, this is unlikely to shift the distribution all that notably alone, because it doesn't actively change the required tactics for success, only the rewards for engaging in certain parts of them. Unless the rewards were so dramatically better for doing one thing over any other that it was impossible to resist (say, a guaranteed rare ;)), the distribution of players doing different things in WvW is likely to reflect what the distribution would be like if there were no item rewards at all- meaning that the loot is likely secondary to the desire to win for most participating.

I agree and completely acknowledge that in my last post. It's actually a good thing that people prefer to win rather than just gather up their own points. The changes I suggest are only in the vain of increasing the attractiveness of skirmishing to help facilitate more of it..thus spreading the battles throughout the map. Zergs will still be best for Towers and Keeps but it allows for more havoc squads clashing throughout the maps attack and defending the smaller yet important objectives like Yaks and Camps. As it stands now, Zergs are the best tactic for everything and simply having the bigger zerg wins the fight, nullifying most (if not all) tactics. This is why they put the damage debuff on the Camps because prior to that, a smaller force taking camps would be worthless as they could never hold it long enough to actually impede supply.

Also, the idea of badges and the highly coveted T6 mats would encourage more PvE players to dip their toes in as well as provide dedicated WvW players a solid cash flow in selling the mats (which would also serve to bring down the massive cost on mats right now).

Agreed.

But boy, I think it would be really funny to have some kind of mechanic on a catapult projectile or some other siege weapon (that cost a lot of money or supplies) that would launch a temporary plague into a zerg. Effectively making them kill each other within a certain proximity, but would do no damage as long as they were xxxx amount of feet away from each other.

If only to see the zerg scatter just briefly. Sure would be one hell of a defense weapon... Also comedy.

/dreaming

This is supposed to be function of the poisoned cows that Trebs can throw actually. Group heals and cleansing (as well as the popularity of bunker builds) makes it less effective than it should be though considering how secure a position needs to be to set up and protect a Treb. They either need to make the cows stronger or give the cows (or a cow like option) to Cata's as well.

Being able to build barriers to create cut off points would be a way to counter zergs. Force them either to funnel through a small area or stop to take down the barriers.

Absolutely love the crap out of this idea. It would need some fine tuning though to prevent things like a dominating server simply walling off the weaker opponent cutting the map in half or additional walls around keeps and towers making them even MORE secure. Perhaps having barricade points buildable only at predetermined spots that a server must capture first. Think control points except on back way paths (which tend to be more narrow thus lending to barricading).

Ashodin

Retro. We found out that map ISN'T the super adventure box. What is it? :O

Ragged_Scrybe 3 points 23 hours ago (3|0)
SAB is not in the mists.

WAAAAAAAT

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Ragged_Scrybe 3 points 23 hours ago (3|0)
SAB is not in the mists.

WAAAAAAAT
Mind blown, where did the screenshot of that map added to the Mists come from?

The hell else could it even be? It's such a large chunk of the map.

Astra

Tonight's the night my friend and I tackle our first dungeon. If anyone from the Guild is willing to help us out, that would be much appreciated. We're thinking around 11pm Eastern or so.
I have absolutely no idea what to expect, so it should be a fun adventure!

BAM BET YOU DIDNT THINK THEYD GET ANSWERED THIS FAST

Warriors and Guardians are both quite excellent throughout the game. Both use greatswords to enormous effect. Both have awesome utility for WvW. You can't go wrong, pick the one that appeals to you more. For the record, Warriors have more viable range options and can use more weapons whereas Guardians have more support and control options.

Guardian, WvW, you want staff. Bam. You want it. Just amazing group utility all around. In PvE, I've become rather fond of scepter/shield. With a lot of kiting and dodging you can wear stuff down while protecting your teammates and taking barely any damage. My esteemed co-leader Ashodin can provide more insight, he's a greatsword hound too.

I know nothing about Warriors.

Not only is it possible, you get XP and can level up quite easily in WvW. Playing a very balanced amount of both is basically ideal (although I dare you to try ;_: I get distracted by stuff to do VERY easily in-game).

Welcome! Join the guild immediately please. :D

About the guard vs warrior post. If you mainly want to do pvp and wvw I would lean more towards guardian since that control/support option is very nice in party play. If you're looking for more pve play such as dungeon running warrior is a bit better since they have more damage output. Leveling is easier in wvw if you follow a zerg, but you can get almost the same xp in the same amt of time doing renown hearts/personal. The quickest way to get levels is dungeon running which you can start around 30ish.

I also recommend Hawk's suggestion of just going w/ what feels more comfortable. Easiest way to see this is to go into the heart of the mists (pvp zone) and look there since in pvp you are level 80 w/ all skills unlocked/weapons availabe/traits available. This should also help out in figuring out which class you want as a main (since you can make both and not have to worry lol).

Also agree with hawk on staff as secondary for guardian. It has one of the best abilities in the game (skill 5) and short cooldowns. Very good second weapon. For warrior I see some run sword warhorn since at least in wvw having a high uptime on swiftness is almost a necessity.

But bottomline is as Hawk said choose what fits you the best. I would also recommend looking into hammer warrior/guard if you want to do pvp wvw since hammer is also nice.

Retro

Well, it may not be in "The Mists" from a storyline perspective, but it could be in that sort of nebulous pool where they make temporary maps.

Anyways, if that's not the Adventure Box, what other brightly-colored giant maps are there? Maybe the Eternal Battleground will be remade in 8-bit style for April Fools? They don't appear to sync up in terms of locations... hmmm.

Tonight's the night my friend and I tackle our first dungeon. If anyone from the Guild is willing to help us out, that would be much appreciated. We're thinking around 11pm Eastern or so.

Pretty late for me, but if I'm on I'll lend a hand for a quick AC or something.

About the guard vs warrior post. If you mainly want to do pvp and wvw I would lean more towards guardian since that control/support option is very nice in party play. If you're looking for more pve play such as dungeon running warrior is a bit better since they have more damage output.

Warriors are also very useful when it comes to support, especially now that Banners have been effectively doubled (which is crazy, but I'm not objecting). Healing Shouts (especially with soldier runes) is nothing to sneeze at either. You're right though, Guardians are definitely better at Support and are Control masters, but warriors can still hold their own.

For warrior I see some run sword warhorn since at least in wvw having a high uptime on swiftness is almost a necessity.

If they're spec'd right (and if they're using a warhorn, they should be) they're also converting conditions into boons while giving themselves perma-swiftness. Very good for supporting a large group or just clearing cripple/immobilize during the chase/retreat. I adjust my traits and go warhorn every time I set foot in WvW, it's just that good (especially on havoc squads where you need to get the hell out of places fast).

heh too good. Condescending poster posting about people not knowing anything, turns out he doesn't know as much as he believes he does either. Too good.

Retro

Thanks! Any help is appreciated.
I wish we could get on earlier to do it, but our availability is bad as of late.

Oh no, it's not a big deal and honestly, 11 EDT is only 8 pacific, which is pretty early. Plus, as Jira mentioned, people tend to be playing at all hours of the day and night. Chances are good somebody will be on, the only really dry times are early mornings on weekdays (and even then there's usually 10+ people on in the guild).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'll hopefully be there to help you guys through AC Story!
Well, it may not be in "The Mists" from a storyline perspective, but it could be in that sort of nebulous pool where they make temporary maps.
I think that pool is the Mists in terms of "gameworld" design- everything from all the fractals to the Mad King's domain to WvW is stashed there. I assume he was saying "it's not in the mists" in response to that shot of the map, no? What could it beeeee?
Anyways, if that's not the Adventure Box, what other brightly-colored giant maps are there?
No clue!

Retro

I think that pool is the Mists in terms of "gameworld" design- everything from all the fractals to the Mad King's domain to WvW is stashed there. I assume he was saying "it's not in the mists" in response to that shot of the map, no? What could it beeeee?

It doesn't really match up with any of the existing zones, and it's huge. Maybe he's just denying it to mess with Reddit?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It doesn't really match up with any of the existing zones, and it's huge. Maybe he's just denying it to mess with Reddit?
He might be interpeting it as "the Mists in a lore sense which is an actual place" and not "The Mists in an infrastructure sense which is an open canvas for temporary or isolated maps," like you said.

But that said, it seems weird that he'd venture to say anything if he wasn't referring to that explicitly. I'm drawing a total blank.

I believe he's talking about Walrus.

Here's the thing, if you have a problem with aspects of the game but see someone else praising it, why not address that particular element and start a civilized debate? Making blanket statements and insults about people being mindless zealots (more or less) is only going to aggravate people and you're inevitably going to be viewed as a troll. It's not because you don't like the game or have problems with it, it's because of the way you convey those thoughts. If you are vague and say Fractals suck or still haven't been addressed but don't say what about them you don't like, what the heck is that supposed to mean? Why should any of us take that seriously? Convey your thoughts, be specific. Believe it or not, we occasionally have debates on issues with the game here. I myself argued with multiple people over making a universal dungeon token. We all have issues and don't think the game is perfect, we simply have a lot of fun with the game and enjoy talking about our positive experiences. That an update doesn't address a particular problem doesn't mean it isn't helping elsewhere and isn't worth talking about. This update does some pretty big things, especially for WvW players.

Ebris

Man, thanks for the quick and awesome replies!

I think I'm gonna go warrior first time around, with either hammer and/or sword/horn for my secondary slot. I take it you can change traits and the like whenever you want, since I heard someone say that they switch their specs to sword/horn every time they enter WvW?

Also, is the wiki a good place to learn the mechanics of the game or is it easiest to just play and learn by ear?

I'll definitely join GAF Guild, though - NA here so Stormbluff Isle it is! Who should I contact to get the ball rolling?

Thanks again guys.

You always waste a lot of good points responding to bad posts, man. I know you're passionate about the game, but you're still a junior and I know you've gotten a ban before. Honestly, just ignore posts like that, for both your sanity and your account. At the very least your oncologist will thank you.

Sorry. You're completely right. But some times I watch too much Alex Jones, and it just messes me up.

Retro

Man, thanks for the quick and awesome replies!

I think I'm gonna go warrior first time around, with either hammer and/or sword/horn for my secondary slot. I take it you can change traits and the like whenever you want, since I heard someone say that they switch their specs to sword/horn every time they enter WvW?

Also, is the wiki a good place to learn the mechanics of the game or is it easiest to just play and learn by ear?

I'll definitely join GAF Guild, though - NA here so Stormbluff Isle it is! Who should I contact to get the ball rolling?

Thanks again guys.

You're welcome.

I had a hard time deciding between Warrior and Guardian before launch, and used the Beta weekends to try them both out. I eventually settled on a Warrior and I've been quite happy since... well, with the profession, Race/Gender is a completely different ball of wax.

As far as traits go, you have two types; Minor and Major traits. Minor traits cannot be changed, and you get them for just putting points into a given trait line. Major traits, however, are more like slots, and you pick which one you want. When I mentioned changing my traits, I was referring to changing one Major trait to another, since both my shout and Warhorn-related major traits are in the same line.

Contact Professor Retro, Ferny, Ashodin Venteal, Hawkian the Blade, Gojira, Gundam Banshee, Wallach, or Katoki for an invite into GAFGuild, or alternatively post your username (name.####) and we can invite you directly. You can also post a character name, but if you're just getting started you may not have one yet.

Also, we don't allow puns.

Hahaha, yeah right. He's gonna be pretty surprised the next time we get started up and go for a full hour making bird puns.

Sorry. You're completely right. But some times I watch too much Alex Jones, and it just messes me up.

Heh, it's alright, I know your heart is in the right place but sometimes it's just not worth it. GAF has an ignore function, it might be best to just use it. Giving people the attention they seek only encourages them to stick around and keep at it.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Are there any level 1 Guild Bounties held Mon-Thurs night for people who might not be able to make weekend events so they can get a commendation?

Retro

Are there any level 1 Guild Bounties held Mon-Thurs night for people who might not be able to make weekend events so they can get a commendation?

I'll defer to either Ash or Hawkian, but I see no reason why we couldn't try and slip one in on a weeknight. They aren't too expensive.

Astra

Oh no, it's not a big deal and honestly, 11 EDT is only 8 pacific, which is pretty early. Plus, as Jira mentioned, people tend to be playing at all hours of the day and night. Chances are good somebody will be on, the only really dry times are early mornings on weekdays (and even then there's usually 10+ people on in the guild).

Yeah. I'm not even sure what a good number of people to have along is, but the more the merrier.

I'll hopefully be there to help you guys through AC Story!

Hopefully!

I haven't played in over a week. I hope I remember how to play, haha.

Wait, once you unlock a guild tier (ie bounty 1) do you have to spend influence every time you run it? I was under the impression once you unlock it, you can run it as many times as you like. Speaking to your comment about it not being too expensive, Retro. I haven't tried any yet so not fully sure how it works.

Cool, how many comms do you get per bounty? I need to look up how many comms it takes to buy ascended gear. That would be amazing if I could buy the earrings that way so I don't have to blow ecto.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wait, once you unlock a guild tier (ie bounty 1) do you have to spend influence every time you run it? I was under the impression once you unlock it, you can run it as many times as you like. Speaking to your comment about it not being too expensive, Retro. I haven't tried any yet so not fully sure how it works.

Yah, it costs 200 influence (basically nothing) to queue one up, and then 2000 to have access to it immediately (not nothing, but easy peasy for a guild as active as we are to throw around).

I have to say, despite the fact that it would like quadruple our chances for failure, I really hope we get 2-Mult as one of the two. Need to prove to ourselves we can reprogram that fucker.

Participating in a bounty gives you 2 commendations (you can do this once a week, resetting on Saturdays). Ascended earrings are 12 commendations- but the rate at which we can earn commendations will accelerate as we unlock the other Guild Mission types (sadly, treks do not award commendations). Rushes is next!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah. I'm not even sure what a good number of people to have along is, but the more the merrier.
Essentially, you Must Have Five. Some dungeon runs can be done with fewer people, but this is a true skill challenge and not how they were designed.

Yah, it costs 200 influence (basically nothing) to queue one up, and then 2000 to have access to it immediately (not nothing, but easy peasy for a guild as active as we are to throw around).

I have to say, despite the fact that it would like quadruple our chances for failure, I really hope we get 2-Mult as one of the two. Need to prove to ourselves we can reprogram that fucker.

Participating in a bounty gives you 2 commendations (you can do this once a week, resetting on Saturdays). Ascended earrings are 12 commendations- but the rate at which we can earn commendations will accelerate as we unlock the other Guild Mission types (sadly, treks do not award commendations). Rushes is next!

Ah, then I won't be greedy and always wait until enough other people want to do it! I just saw it costs 5G on top of the comms...yeah maybe ecto would actually be cheaper haha 100 ecto or 20G. I guess it comes down to how much ecto I have saved up already which I have no idea at the top of my head. Probably easier to just go that route. Should have checked what the other ascended gear cost gold-wise, would be nice if I could split them up so I can get all the gear faster by using laurel on a few and comms on another.

Jira

I believe he's talking about Walrus.

Here's the thing, if you have a problem with aspects of the game but see someone else praising it, why not address that particular element and start a civilized debate? Making blanket statements and insults about people being mindless zealots (more or less) is only going to aggravate people and you're inevitably going to be viewed as a troll. It's not because you don't like the game or have problems with it, it's because of the way you convey those thoughts. If you are vague and say Fractals suck or still haven't been addressed but don't say what about them you don't like, what the heck is that supposed to mean? Why should any of us take that seriously? Convey your thoughts, be specific. Believe it or not, we occasionally have debates on issues with the game here. I myself argued with multiple people over making a universal dungeon token. We all have issues and don't think the game is perfect, we simply have a lot of fun with the game and enjoy talking about our positive experiences. That an update doesn't address a particular problem doesn't mean it isn't helping elsewhere and isn't worth talking about. This update does some pretty big things, especially for WvW players.

That's pretty much how I see it. I see people say this or that on various forums across the internet and they're just the most vague blanket statements possible. No one who is overly negative EVER takes the time to post constructive criticism and instead just spews out a single sentence on each topic but never expanding upon their opinions. If you want any company in the world to take your feedback seriously, YOU MUST BE SPECIFIC AND DETAILED. A paragraph or so for each topic would do wonders for allowing people to start a discussion.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ah, then I won't be greedy and always wait until enough other people want to do it! I just saw it costs 5G on top of the comms...yeah maybe ecto would actually be cheaper haha 100 ecto or 20G. I guess it comes down to how much ecto I have saved up already which I have no idea at the top of my head. Probably easier to just go that route. Should have checked what the other ascended gear cost gold-wise, would be nice if I could split them up so I can get all the gear faster by using laurel on a few and comms on another.
Only the Ascended earrings at the guild commendations vendor actually cost any gold.

It's all like this:

Rings (need 2): Fractals (random daily drop), Fractals (10 pristine fractal relics), or Laurels (35)
Amulet: Laurels (30)
Earrings (need 2): Laurels (40 + 50 Ectos), or Guild Commendations (12 + 5 Gold)
Back Pieces: Fractals (many relics), or Mystic Forge (T6 mats, and one item which must be gained in fractals)

Per the bold, that's basically what I'm planning to do, one earring via Laurels and one via Commends.

Of course, the Guild Quick Shot just had to go and be my favorite pistol skin so far, so I'm gonna need 2 of those for 5 commendations apiece and thus this will all take a bit longer than it otherwise would. C'est la vie in Tyria ;)

Retro

Edit: Damn you people for being so helpful, I can't even get one good Mega Reply in anymore.

Well, if it's you and a friend, then... three.
JUWnj.gif

Nope. Once you've unlocked Guild Bounties (30,000 influence + 3 days), you have to spend influence to 'build' them, which is 200 influence and a 12 hour build time. You can speed them up pretty cheaply though, so it's not a big deal if we fail them.

That's it, confirmed

I'm doing a T1 Guild Bounty tonight after 10 PM EDT.

Be on and get your comms!

Addendum; we tried a Guild Bounty Training mission last night and got 2-MULT, the golem bounty. He soundly kicked our asses, but we had no idea what path he was on (so there went half the time, Timberline Falls is pretty big) or what his strategy was.

We could pull him again tonight, or one of the other two new ones.

Cool, how many comms do you get per bounty?

2 pieces of rare or better equipment, 50 Silver and 2 Guild Commendations.

Oh, you can only get earrings with comms, so much for that idea haha So yeah, I have to look at how many ectos I have and compare the costs of buying enough ecto vs 10G. I have to imagine the laurel and ecto would be cheaper. Man, I need to do dungeons so I actually have money, then I wouldn't have to think so frugal. I've only spent money on armor repairs, WP porting, and trait books for two characters really and despite 100 percent WC on Ele and getting close to hitting that with Mesmer, I only have around 37G or so... That's with a little bit of dungeon mixed in but not overly much. I've done all 4 paths of AC (pre-patch), 2 paths of TA (counting story), 3 paths of CoF (counting story), SE story, CM story...why am I so poor? haha From what I've read over the months of your guys' conversations, I need to just do more dungeon runs in general, eh? Wish PVE paid better, would be nice to have gotten a large sum for 100% WC. Well, as I said before, once I hit 100 with my Mes, I'll start doing lots of dungeon and fractal runs. So expect me to invade your groups then! If you guys have advice outside of doing dungeon runs to make more money, let me know.

Retro

Oh, you can only get earrings with comms, so much for that idea haha So yeah, I have too look at how many ectos I have and compare the costs of buying enough ecto vs 10G. I have to imagine the laurel and ecto would be cheaper. Man, I need to do dungeons so I actually have money, then I wouldn't have to think so frugal.

Just hit up the usual events like Claw, Shatterer and the like. Salvage the rare with a Mystic Forge kit (or better, a Black Lion kit) and you'll usually get 1-3 ectos an event, maybe more.

Dungeons are good for money, COF1 is still fast and popular.

I only have as much money as I do (and it is not a lot by most standards) because I'm cheap as hell.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh, you can only get earrings with comms, so much for that idea haha
So far just earrings, yep- basically each is designed to be a reward for different content- rings for fractals, amulets for laurels, and earrings for guild missions- with a backup route for everything except amulets.

Re: money, did you see my post on it? There are a lot of ways you could focus on earning it, but dungeons are certainly one of the best :)

Astra

Essentially, you Must Have Five. Some dungeon runs can be done with fewer people, but this is a true skill challenge and not how they were designed.

I'm looking forward to it. It's been getting a little monotonous just doing the story and heart quests, with the occasional group event thrown in.

Well, if it's you and a friend, then... three.
JUWnj.gif

Haha, hopefully there'll be some guildies online that'll jump in with us.

Just hit up the usual events like Claw, Shatterer and the like. Salvage the rare with a Mystic Forge kit (or better, a Black Lion kit) and you'll usually get 1-3 ectos an event, maybe more.

Dungeons are good for money, COF1 is still fast and popular.

I only have as much money as I do (and it is not a lot by most standards) because I'm cheap as hell.

I wish I still had a BL kit but I used it up. I have the Gold level one you can buy at vendors (Master's?) that I use on Rare's but I'd like a BL for exotics. I've been salvaging for ectos so I should have a decent amount, I just don't farm events or anything. I generally use all my time working on clearing zones and doing daily/monthlies. Also helping RL friends that don't play as much in their low level zones. I'm enjoying playing the Mesmer so I'll be content to shift to dungeons when I finish his WC. I need to acquire exotic armor in the meantime and upgrade my storage containers. My Ele is a 400 Tailor so I can look into the cost for crafting my armor. Then I can dungeon run for cool aesthetic armor! Need to figure out weapons too...man, so much left to do with this guy! I feel like I need to do this stuff before I step into the leagues of Arah path runs.

Ashodin

So far just earrings, yep- basically each is designed to be a reward for different content- rings for fractals, amulets for laurels, and earrings for guild missions- with a backup route for everything except amulets.

Re: money, did you see my post on it? There are a lot of ways you could focus on earning it, but dungeons are certainly one of the best :)

They're not earrings, THEY'RE ACCESSORIES

Astra

There will be. AC Story (no offense) is a complete joke, it's a fast and easy run for a nice tidy bit of silver.

That's kind of disappointing, but isn't so bad for the first dungeon I suppose.
I'll look forward to a greater challenge from other dungeons in the future.

What time are you doing the dungeons? I am usually on from 9pm MST - 11:30 pm mst most nights. I am always up for doing dungeons that I can participate in. AC - TA right now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's definitely there.

AC Story used to be incredibly tough- one of the tougher paths of all the story modes at launch. It was completely redone in January to be more welcoming. I liked how tough it was at first, but I can see how some people would've been really frustrated with how quickly the difficulty spikes compared to the open world.

Edit: Xeno, I think like ummm MST okay... well yeah 9pm MST!

Jira

Story Mode was very hard initially and in all reality it was too hard for some as first dungeon to the point where people actually stopped running dungeons due to AC's initial difficulty. The revamped AC is more in line with what it should have been originally which was an introduction to dungeon mechanics. Over time through testing it feels like they overtuned it as QA got better and better.

It's definitely there.

AC Story used to be incredibly tough- one of the tougher paths of all the story modes at launch. It was completely redone in January to be more welcoming. I liked how tough it was at first, but I can see how some people would've been really frustrated with how quickly the difficulty spikes compared to the open world.

Edit: Xeno, I think like ummm MST okay... well yeah 9pm MST!

Wait its MDT right now... either way 9pm Mountain time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom