• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

I wouldn't be so sceptical if I hadn't witnessed ArenaNet throw away all semblance of PvE class balance for 5 years until GW2's release.

Hence, when I hear grind-skills, alarms go off.

Hard mode Eles, man. Still have nightmares. If I wanted to only be a spot healer, I'd be a Monk.

Jira

I wouldn't be so sceptical if I hadn't witnessed ArenaNet throw away all semblance of PvE class balance for 5 years until GW2's release.

Hence, when I hear grind-skills, alarms go off.

They kinda dropped GW1's team to about 10 people in August of 07 so it's not really all that surprising that GW1 stopped getting much of anything post-EOTN.

mneuro

How large and active is the Gaf guild on Stormbluff Isle? I've recently come back to GW2 and everyone I was playing with has mostly left. I'm considering switching servers while they are free until the 1st, but I'm curious about this first.

Complistic

I hate that this game doesn't grab me. It has so much potential in my mind, and the thread is incredibly active, but when I sign in and start to play I just get instantly bored with the combat. Albeit, I'm only 37, but I just don't see it getting more interesting since the thing that doesn't click with me is the combat system.

If you're just trying to run around from heart to heart quest by yourself you're gonna get really bored. And if you're finding combat to not be your liking you might just want to start up with a new class. They all play very differently.

Complistic

How large and active is the Gaf guild on Stormbluff Isle? I've recently come back to GW2 and everyone I was playing with has mostly left. I'm considering switching servers while they are free until the 1st, but I'm curious about this first.

Server changes are only free to medium servers. SBI is a very high. To answer your other question, the guild is very active. There's 50+ members on every night. 20 - 30 during the day.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
First, the bad news. Server transfers are only free to Medium population servers. Stormbluff Isle is Very High.

The good news is that the guild is very active, and I will be starting an "Immigration Fund" shortly if you desire to transfer to play with us but cannot afford it yourself. We have over 400 members with a stellar concurrency these days (we broke 60 players online last night, the highest I'd ever seen on a weekday).

Have you tried all the classes? "I'm only 37" gives me the impression you're maybe trying to stick to one that might not be your best fit?

If you're just trying to run around from heart to heart quest by yourself you're gonna get really bored. And if you're finding combat to not be your liking you might just want to start up with a new class. They all play very differently.
Bolded is what I'm doing. =| Not sure what the alternative is though? I mean, I clear out a full zone, then move on to the next one.

Ya, my highest is a 37 ranger. I also have a warrior, guardian, thief, elementalist. Basically, I played them all at least enough to unlock all of the abilities with each weapon type (I think 15 is probably my lowest). I think that it may just not be my game, doesn't mean it isn't a great game though--I'm not shitting on it!

I always played a tank or healer in WoW (and back in FFXI), never liked DPS much, so I think that may be a primary issue. DPS is kind of boring to me.

Levyne

Banned
Rangers are probably the most boring class combat wise if you use a bow. Maybe just try to put more time into another class or try to use sword and torch or something.

hythloday

I hate that this game doesn't grab me. It has so much potential in my mind, and the thread is incredibly active, but when I sign in and start to play I just get instantly bored with the combat. Albeit, I'm only 37, but I just don't see it getting more interesting since the thing that doesn't click with me is the combat system.

I'm going to agree with others and suggest trying a different class (maybe a totally different type than you're used to playing in other games) and make sure you're using different weapons too, since those can change things up. I hate Mesmer-with-a-staff, while I love Mesmer-with-a-sword.

If that doesn't work, maybe GW2 just doesn't do it for you. There's nothing wrong with that - I definitely hear you on the "I want it to grab me but it doesn't" thing, since I've felt that way about other games before.

Edit: missed your follow up reply!

Bolded is what I'm doing. =| Not sure what the alternative is though? I mean, I clear out a full zone, then move on to the next one.

Ya, my highest is a 37 ranger. I also have a warrior, guardian, thief, elementalist. Basically, I played them all at least enough to unlock all of the abilities with each weapon type (I think 15 is probably my lowest). I think that it may just not be my game, doesn't mean it isn't a great game though--I'm not shitting on it!

I always played a tank or healer in WoW (and back in FFXI), never liked DPS much, so I think that may be a primary issue. DPS is kind of boring to me.

I also played a healer in almost every game I ever played, WoW included. Hard to get out of that mindset!

Basically, with GW2, look around for different stuff going on. The hearts lead you to a general area, but the meat and potatoes is intended to be in the dynamic events that pop up here and there. If you see an orange circle on the map, or something pop up in orange on your screen like "Holy shit centaurs are setting the villagers' tax records on fire" go do that instead of the heart that's telling you to help crush pills to give to Grandma Gertie's diabetic cat, Muffins. Those events can sometimes lead to OTHER events, taking you on a chain to different areas. If you're in an area with not a lot of events going on, sometimes it can help to go somewhere else for a while (even other race's starting areas, since you down-level and get xp from anywhere).

Check out World vs. World too. You might like that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ahh, that could definitely be the crux of it. You might be craving combat roles which simply don't exist in-game in GW2.

That said, there are many fun and viable control and support builds for those classes, but it's certainly tougher to take full advantage of them while leveling your way to 80 if you're playing mostly solo.

As far as what you can do per the bolded-

Events should be your main source of XP in the open world, not hearts. Do any that you come across, plenty of them are even soloable, and you get XP even for failing (never quite understood that). In 3 levels you could start doing the big giant-sized world events for some good loot, too. There's also AC Story and Explorable Mode you could do at your level, as well as leveling up in WvW. And when you say you "move on" to the next area- are you staying in one part of the world? Have you tried hopping over to another race's starting zones and exploring them?

Anyway, on the one hand I'd say you ought to hit 80 to see what the combat really offers, but on the other hand, as they say... if it grabs you it grabs you, if it don't it don't.

etiolate

Banned
video games need more diabetic cats

give them insulin shots in the back of their neck

I've noticed the WvWvW rank leveling curve is not like the regular leveling curve. After Rank 5, the gap between ranks increase quite a bit. I don't have a problem with it so far, but it does feel like a measure against people blowing through ranks before they add more abilities.

I'm 75% of the way to rank 7 and haven't spent any of my points. I don't really feel the need to buff myself versus guards. I would like it if investing to upgrade a tower, keep or supply camp gave you WXP, with another WXP bonus if the upgrade completes. I invested gold into upgrading SBI borderlands after we retook it last night and I'm afraid if I check the map right now that half of what I upgrade will be gone.

Also, I would be down for a tourney run to get pvp monthly.

mneuro

First, the bad news. Server transfers are only free to Medium population servers. Stormbluff Isle is Very High.

The good news is that the guild is very active, and I will be starting an "Immigration Fund" shortly if you desire to transfer to play with us but cannot afford it yourself. We have over 400 members with a stellar concurrency these days (we broke 60 players online last night, the highest I'd ever seen on a weekday).

How much does it cost to transfer in $$$?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hell, I got the monthly but I'm available to fill team slots for anyone going after theirs anytime I'm in-game tonight.

I want to memorize my routes to the map buffs. Also to stop being afraid of warriors.
How much does it cost to transfer in $$$?
It's based on the pop of the server you're going to... Very High is 1800 gems, which would be.... $22.50

Ashodin

Hell, I got the monthly but I'm available to fill team slots for anyone going after theirs anytime I'm in-game tonight.

I want to memorize my routes to the map buffs. Also to stop being afraid of warriors.

It's based on the pop of the server you're going to... Very High is 1800 gems, which would be.... $22.50

Dude that was some sick SPVP last night. Every time I got up from my chair I was like

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Today I bring you the how-to on the solution to your dungeon group-finding woes, www.GW2LFG.com.

Note: there is also www.gw2lfg.net which has a nicer interface, but it's unstable and a little shady. I do not endorse it for now.

When you hit GW2LFG.com, here's what greets you:
iwkmQZ5cFbhet.png

1. The easy button. Pretty obvious. Look for the group you want listed, and if it's not there, click here to make it yourself.

2. Make sure to check the correct region. Dungeons do not work cross-region. This will result in frustration in-game if you forget to click the right one.

3. Event filter. Use this dropdown to quickly filter for the exact run you're looking for and see if any groups are groups you want.

4. The Comment. The most important aspect of this entire enterprise.

5. Elapsed time. How long has it been since the post went up?

First off, I'm going to take a brief aside here and call your attention to how many freaking dungeon runs are being listed here.

j694un6NljhEw.png

You can get down to the 60th listed run before you even hit the 4-minute mark. Put another way, this means that at the time of this posting, a dungeon run is being listed in Guild Wars 2 roughly every four seconds.

I can understand thinking Guild Wars 2 is flawed. I can understand thinking Guild Wars 2 is disappointing. I can understand thinking Guild Wars 2 is bad. I can understand hating the crap out of Guild Wars 2 and wanting your money back and swearing to anyone that you meet that it will ruin your life.

I cannot understand, with any degree of clarity whatsoever, thinking that Guild Wars 2 has not been a runaway success. Bear in mind that these "one-every-four-seconds" runs are only the runs that needed listings on GW2LFG. Our regular guild runs and in-game PUGs suggest the actual rate is higher than that. Then there are the world events, the most popular of which are still putting people into overflows nightly. Then there's the leveling population in the open world, which at the moment includes a spike in people at all levels in and around the Black Citadel to participate in the Living Story instances. Then there's sPvP; 5v5 tourney matches last night had 5-second-or-less queue times.

Then there's WvW.

An enormous number of people are playing this game. Deal with it, if you happen to be someone who must. Any attempt to put a number to it is pure speculation- but that does not distort, eschew, obfuscate, mystify or corrupt the validity of this fact.

Anyway, I digress. On to getting the group you want:

When you click the big blue button, here's your setup screen:

Tips to ensure you get a group:
  • Spell your username correctly. :p There is no magical tie-in to the game here, people are just copying and pasting what you put in that field in order to make this entire thing work. Don't miss a vowel and wonder why no one is coming to hunt Inquest with you.
  • Don't forget to select your region.
  • Don't mix up Story and Explorable versions of dungeons in the dropdown. This one happened to me. I felt so guilty when people started joining that I ran SE Story with them anyway. :p
  • If you've been waiting more than 5 minutes and not a single person has joined, delete the listing and relist. A far bigger problem than there not being enough people running the dungeon you want to run is that there are too many people running dungeons in total. People who aren't looking at the list with the filter might have missed your run- the run of their dreams- simply because a bunch more people listed seconds after yours and pushed it down with bad timing.

Tips to ensure the group you get is the group for you:
  • Click the "show more grouping options" button and select the ones that apply to your run. These aren't widely adopted yet, but they're handy and every little bit helps.
  • The Comment field is the ultimate group selector. If you know what kind of group you want, you know what to put here. If you DON'T know what kind of group you want, after much research I have found that the answer is to write in the following: "All classes welcome." These three simple words with ensure that anyone joining your group doesn't care what class you are, which means they probably don't care what gear you have, which means they probably don't care that the run is as fast as humanly possible, which means they are probably patient and friendly human beings who will not tell you to "l2p n00b." I am proud to tell you that literally every single run I have listed with this comment has been enjoyable, completed successfully, and several people met this way now reside on my friends list.
  • If you're joining a group rather than listing your own, make sure the comment reflects your desire. The ugly snake-head of MMO elitism will QUICKLY rear its head if you get 2.5 minutes into a COF Zerker Farm Gotta Go Fast Run and the rest of the team notices you aren't Gotta Going as Fast.

That's it.

I literally- the literal version of literally- have never had to wait more than 15 or 20 minutes for a group to fill up for any run I've listed, regardless of how obscure. I'd say that somewhere in the ballpark of 90% are filled within 1 minute and 30 seconds, even if I needed 4 people. It's that good.

Happy gear grinding!

Proven

I already finished the tournament wins portion of my monthly, so I'm willing to help out. Just whisper me later tonight and if I'm not enthralled with WvW I'll pop over to the Mists.

Do you think you could live with a more attrition class? Necromancer might be more fun for you. They're a tanky class whether you go for direct damage or conditions and have a number of control effects designed to keep enemies focusing on them while punishing them for it.

Retro

Also this thread is always hoppin' because ArenaNet makes the godlike patches.

GODLIKE

Ashodin? More like A-shill-din, amirite? Cuz anyone who likes the game this much is clearly on the developer's payroll. Everyone knows the game's population has crashed and nobody is playing anymore, right?

First off, I'm going to take a brief aside here and call your attention to how many freaking dungeon runs are being listed here.

j694un6NljhEw.png

You can get down to the 60th listed run before you even hit the 4-minute mark. Put another way, this means that at the time of this posting, a dungeon run is being listed in Guild Wars 2 roughly every four seconds.

Oops.

And that's just people who are aware of GW2LFG.com. That's definitely a spot where ArenaNet totally dropped the ball, and I hope they're working on getting something like this in ASAP. I think we just don't notice its absence since GAFGuild can fill a group faster than a transmorphic-opticalibratron in dual-meteocaloric mode. That's "pretty fast" in bookah.

As always Hawkian with the awesome supersize me posts

Yep, the links for all of these are going to be collected in the OT3. I mentioned I'm doing the OT3, right? Already talked to the mods and everything. You ain't seen PR until you've seen a PRetro OT.
It's already more or less done and pretty short by OT standards

hythloday

Do you think you could live with a more attrition class? Necromancer might be more fun for you. They're a tanky class whether you go for direct damage or conditions and have a number of control effects designed to keep enemies focusing on them while punishing them for it.

I wanted to like Necromancers so bad. Just didn't click for me, nomatter what weapon I went for.

Also I've decided Hawkian is like Alton Brown but with Guild wars 2 instead of cooking. His posts are interesting, full of knowledge and he's good at explaining what, how and why for all audiences.

Retro

are you taking subtitle suggestions or do you have some pun prepared

edit: eh, nvm, we're not that close to ot3 anyway

I already have a subtitle, and in the spirit of Jira's OT (and contrary to Technopathetic's bastardization) it will be simple, accessible and to the point. No inside jokes or puns, if you can believe that.

But I'll surprise everybody with it when we get up to 20k posts. Probably just in time for the 1 year anniversary.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Also I've decided Hawkian is like Alton Brown but with Guild wars 2 instead of cooking. His posts are interesting, full of knowledge and he's good at explaining what, how and why for all audiences.
:D This is like in my top five all-time favorite compliments! Thank you!

So, there appears to be this. They're really going all-in on this Living Story concept, slow-going as it might appear.

"No one must send word to your mother that I am gone. I forbid it. She is capable of great things, as are you. She must not be tempted to stray from her path. Wolf walks beside her. But you mustn’t worry. He walks beside you as well, my son. Never forget that.”

Complistic

I wanted to like Necromancers so bad. Just didn't click for me, nomatter what weapon I went for.

I main a necro. What stat distribution and weapons were you trying to use?

I absolutely wrecked stuff leveling and at 80.

Wallach

I'm the same way. I even made one and leveled him to 40 something; every time I look at the skills and stuff I get excited, but then actually getting in there and playing him tells a different story. Bums me out because he looks so fucking cool too.

Retro

I'm the same way. I even made one and leveled him to 40 something; every time I look at the skills and stuff I get excited, but then actually getting in there and playing him tells a different story. Bums me out because he looks so fucking cool too.

...... What's with the name change? Is this because we kept putting emphasis on the 'ch' at the end of your name?

hythloday

I main a necro. What stat distribution and weapons were you trying to use?

I absolutely wrecked stuff leveling and at 80.

I didn't even get high enough to distribute stats or traits, really. What bothered me was mainly the look/feel of the combat. I can be horribly shallow I guess but combat animations are enough to turn me off completely. Tried staff, scepter, dagger. Just didn't click. Didn't care much for the minion mechanic either, but I plan to try it again sometime. Right now I'm having enough fun on my mesmer, guardian and elementalist.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wanted to see if a ranged build using Axe was possible with Necro. I'm not totally sold on the weapon skills either, I'm thinking Axe/Scepter with whatever offhands... but I really dug Death Shroud. That is a fun time.

Wallach

...... What's with the name change? Is this because we kept putting emphasis on the 'ch' at the end of your name?

I was just looking through KeePass and felt like I had too many different login names. Some are harder to get changed than others, so it was kind of a path of least resistance thing.

Complistic

a power dagger/dagger is a lot of fun and works well, but scepter/dagger and staff is what i roll with most of the time.

Traits are really important to necro so that's probably why it didn't click with you.

NeoCross

So i've just come back to GW2 and all my friends already quit, lol. Already transferred over to the GAF server, who can I PM to possibly get an invite to the gaf guild? :)

Proven

I was just looking through KeePass and felt like I had too many different login names. Some are harder to get changed than others, so it was kind of a path of least resistance thing.

How do you go about getting your name changed on GAF anyway? Just PM a mod?

Wallach

Ashodin

Dueling in the game? really? lol

Just about to log on, and there's a new build. Wat?

General
Fused weapon vendors now confirm each purchase to prevent accidental use of a claim ticket.
Fixed a bug causing guild tags to wrap below character name plates when not set to normal interface size.
Fixed various crash bugs.
Profession
Thief:
Hidden Killer: This trait will now function correctly, and will display the increased critical chance in the hero panel.

Yeah Mag especially likes to duel. They party with the opponent so they can chat and they duel back and forth. It isn't trading kills because they don't down the enemy. I've run across it a few times over this week. They get REALLY mad when you jump in on them and kill em both ; x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom