• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Can anyone recommend a fast and easily repeatable event chain? Need to finish my monthly over the next 3 days.

Althought I don't recommend just camping an area's event chain (because it's boring) you could just do the Meatoberfest chain. Those are almost always up and in a small area.

Is it true that they made AC harder in with one of these newer patches?
If so, then is anyone still up for helping (aka babysitting) my level 75 ele through a few runs?

Also, I currently have 3 characters and I want to roll a mesmer and guardian in the future ... but I read that they confirmed that in the expansion they're gonna add a new race(s). Pulling for the Kodan but I expect it to be the bird dudes :/
Anyway, do they normally give you more characters slots in these expansions or should I hold onto them until when ever the expansion comes out?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is it true that they made AC harder in with one of these newer patches?
If so, then is anyone still up for helping (aka babysitting) my level 75 ele through a few runs?

Also, I currently have 3 characters and I want to roll a mesmer and guardian in the future ... but I read that they confirmed that in the expansion they're gonna add a new race(s). Pulling for the Kodan but I expect it to be the bird dudes :/
Anyway, do they normally give you more characters slots in these expansions or should I hold onto them until when ever the expansion come?

AC redesign
(Feb. patch):

-Story mode: much, much much much easier. Like, facerollable for 80s. Easily completable by a team of PUGs that doesn't just throw themselves into AOE without a care in the world.

-Explorable mode: HP for all mobs dramatically lowered, but almost every encounter was totally redesigned to be more challenging in terms of skill. The bosses are sort of harder, but really they just require coordination, whereas they required none before.

Ashodin

So, two things:

Tonight is Guild Bounty T1 Make up for any of those who haven't done it yet - also I'd like to try to hit T2 or T3 Guild Trek for dem merits

AND

DONATE YO MONIES TO THE LOTTERY. Each 20s is a ticket, up to 1G worth of tickets. Deposit your money into the Guild Bank, Officer Bank Tab (top one, marked Officer Bank). Drawing will be updated by Jira himself!

For Hawkian:

Heads up, looks like some of Hrouda's changes for CM went into this patch all stealth like. CM explorable run tonight?

Ebris

So, I just hit 20 with my warrior. Doing the early Arms build - I know not to rely on it forever (especially for dungeons and WvWvW), but having 100% crit rate right now is pretty hilariously awesome.

They work by being awesome. :p

We do them multiple times a week- so far we have Bounties (tracking and hunting tough targets in the open world) and Treks (scavenger hunts) unlocked. The way it works is that we want to get the highest "tier" (most difficult) version done as a guild once a week, to give us Merits, a currency for the guild itself that lets us unlock more missions as well as cool buffs for the whole guild (like reduced waypoint costs).

On Fridays, we do a tier 1 bounty (two targets) at about 9PM EDT.

On Saturdays, we'lll do a trek in the afternoon EDT, prior to our tier 3 bounty at 4PM EDT, and probably again afterward. The Tier 3 is six targets to be killed within 15 minutes- and we need to get it done for the merits! ;)

If you participate in killing any one bounty for the week, you also get a personal reward of two Commendations, some silver and loot. Commendations are used to buy some rather good stuff at a vendor in Lion's Arch by the Bank. It doesn't matter which bounty you kill or what tier it was. The weekly reset for this happens on Saturdays at 8:00PM EDT, so typically we'll also do another tier 1 Saturday night so that people can get their Commendations for the week. But there are also "makeup" bounties 2 or 3 times during the course of a week for those that missed out.

That does sound like a lot of fun, you guys usually start talking about them in the game right? I want to do one but I have work tomorrow so I will miss, if you have a makeup one on Sunday I'd like to try it out.

Ashodin

More Announcements

Currently, we have Guild Rushes looking to unlock next weekend (after this one). Probably going to schedule that on Sunday early on in the day, or that friday night (for fun!)

Guild Rushes earn you one commendation.

Guild Challenges will be the next thing we unlock, however, we need to pull merits out of our ass for two weeks straight (since I believe it is 120 to unlock it). Even if we do it on time, it most likely won't be up yet.

SECONDLY

I will be doing a purge of the guild soon. Any member that has not played (does not show the PLAYED rank in the guild) will be culled from the guild. This rank was instituted TWO MONTHS AGO, with the perception that if you are online and we see you, that we will change your rank from Member to Played. You've had your time to come back to the game, if you suddenly show up to the game and you aren't in the guild, there is NO HARD FEELINGS AT ALL about removing you. We will accept you back into our loving arms with a simple whisper to any of the officers and leaders, Hawkian, Ashodin Venteal, Retro, Jira, any of them.

We are growing at an exponential rate (as you can see many people posting in this thread jumping ship to our busy bee), and are also allied with other guilds. To better facilitate working together, we will be removing players to help with this. Currently, there is a large chunk of the guild that hasn't played since the beginning of the year. I aim to make the guild a lean, mean, ass kicking machine.

Who's with me!?

Also, I present to you

jmP9hW8.jpg

Fused Greatsword in action (sometimes I like the shoulderless look)

I plan on being on tonight! Don't cut me! Patching now. :p

So, forgive me for being the noob to the new-ish content here, but what's the Living Story people are talking about? It looks like an achievement, but is there really a storyline that's flowing with these monthly content updates? If so, that's kind of cool, keeping some story elements outside of major patches and expansions.

hythloday

So, forgive me for being the noob to the new-ish content here, but what's the Living Story people are talking about? It looks like an achievement, but is there really a storyline that's flowing with these monthly content updates? If so, that's kind of cool, keeping some story elements outside of major patches and expansions.

That's exactly what it is - an ongoing storyline. Although it's small enough you can totally ignore it if you want to since it's really only affecting a couple areas. It's been slow to ramp up so far but from the way it sounds, they have bigger plans for it.

There are achievements associated with completing the Living Story activities.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Beat you to it Katoki.

If you're interested, just talk to a Herald- they're all over the place. They'll fill you in on where we're at and how to participate if you'd like to (I suggest at least doing the story missions to meet Braham and Rox).

docbon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eBGKSqtyzk

Tales of Tyria podcast calls it quits. Interesting last show with differing views on the game. They severely undersell the difficulty of fixing culling and the technical issue it is, but I understand frustration with ArenaNet's lack of attention towards their own PVP legacy.

Yeah, although the PvE side of the game is doing well, the competitive scene centering around sPvP and WvWvW has really started to die out, as teams have been getting frustrated with the stale metagame, ArenaNet's handling of the matchmaking system, or just burnt out in general.

I totally agree with their views about the small size of the map in wubwub limiting strategies that consist of something other than rolling around in a big ball of death. The maps need to be vastly larger, to create the opportunity cost they spoke of, with some sort of content to keep the players interested.

wrt sPvP, I'd bet a majority of the population has literally no idea who the top teams are in the game, which is a huge problem imo. Guild Wars 2 doesn't foster the competitive scene that you see in other games like Dota 2 in any way, which is awful since ArenaNet intended it to be an e-sport.

It's in desperate need of a solo queue option for tournament pvp. There's zero fun to be had being a solo pug facing group after group of premades. New modes would be pretty swell, and a spectator option doubly so.

d/d ele bunker builds definitely need to get looked at as well. There's a reason they're so common. They're just so fucking good.

anyway, bed time~~

etiolate

Banned
Yeah, although the PvE side of the game is doing well, the competitive scene centering around sPvP and WvWvW has really started to die out, as teams have been getting frustrated with the stale metagame, ArenaNet's handling of the matchmaking system, or just burnt out in general.

I totally agree with their views about the small size of the map in wubwub limiting strategies that consist of something other than rolling around in a big ball of death. The maps need to be vastly larger, to create the opportunity cost they spoke of, with some sort of content to keep the players interested.

wrt sPvP, I'd bet a majority of the population has literally no idea who the top teams are in the game, which is a huge problem imo. Guild Wars 2 doesn't foster the competitive scene that you see in other games like Dota 2 in any way, which is awful since ArenaNet intended it to be an e-sport.

It's in desperate need of a solo queue option for tournament pvp. There's zero fun to be had being a solo pug facing group after group of premades. New modes would be pretty swell, and a spectator option doubly so.

d/d ele bunker builds definitely need to get looked at as well. There's a reason they're so common. They're just so fucking good.

anyway, bed time~~

I can see how making the map larger would help small groups have enough time to accomplish something before getting wiped out and perhaps encourage more dispersed groups, but I also agree with the point that so many complain about running back to fights on the map already that making the map bigger would make those types of people just give up after getting rolled.

I think there might be other solutions. I think the issue I most agree with is the lack of siege importance. Arrow Carts were deadly in the first beta, got nerfed heavily and now don't make much a difference to the zerg. They can cause issues if you have a ton of superior arrow carts lined up, but it may be the 5-target limit that is holding all siege back from deterring zergs.

There is also an issue with the LOS and the walls of towers not providing enough protection. AoEs hitting arrow carts and the people on them without the defending players being able to get to the edge to hit back creates a problem. However, when I've seen siege set up against a zerg at a choke point like the SW BL supply camp or the Ogre Camp in EB, all the arrow carts and ballistas works extremely well. It's just that at most keeps and towers, it seems its the defenders are the ones choked off from getting at the attacking army.

As for sPVP, there's still a ton of work to do. Perhaps its time for ArenaNet to stop adding new features and switch teams over to sPVP to get that into the shape it needs to be. I'm not a fan of e-sports, but I am a big fan of GW1's pvp. They don't just need leader boards, spectator mode and a better solo queue, but a mode/map that offers a deeper and more varied meta game. The way their Conquest is setup, there's no room for there to anything other than bunker v burst/roamer.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Definitely agreed. Although I don't see redesigning the layout or size of the wvw maps as practical, they need to focus more on additional mechanics and layers of strategy, especially ones that can reward defense and small coordinated groups. PvP drastically needs a big balance pass, a less intimidating form of getting started, clearer interface options, and definitely needs spectator mode to come anywhere near the benchmark of a competitive esport. Still, WvW is better than ever without culling, and quick tournaments are a step in the right direction.

edit: Have you played Spirit Watch yet etiolate?

Vitalnerv?

Yeah we figured something happened. SE1 isn't too demanding so we can always get another group going.

Lol, yeah that's me. we'll do it another time I guess.

On another topic, has anybody here heard of koroshi? I was watching some vids of this guy earlier today and thought to myself "that is some badass gear" he stated that he made it and that it was valkyrie emblazoned. I have 400 leather working with the valkyrie insignia so I set out to make it. I made the whole gear and it turned out nothing like how he looks, same stats but different look, can anybody tell me how he would have changed the appearance of the armor? if you need a pic with his equipment and look I can send link.

etiolate

Banned
I've done about two runs of spirit watch. It has potential to break up the conquest meta stalemate, but from what I've seen it seems dominated by the same classes that already dominate.

What I'd really like to see is more team v team fights. It doesn't need to be straight deathmatch, but I'd like something where we could see focused team fighting without everyone spread out covering points.

Of course, traits also need that reworking they've needed for awhile.

zulfate

forgot to thank hawkian today in helping me and my friend do ascalon catacombs story mode, thanks alot and thanks for showing off your clothes they were real sexy

Katoki

On another topic, has anybody here heard of koroshi? I was watching some vids of this guy earlier today and thought to myself "that is some badass gear" he stated that he made it and that it was valkyrie emblazoned. I have 400 leather working with the valkyrie insignia so I set out to make it. I made the whole gear and it turned out nothing like how he looks, same stats but different look, can anybody tell me how he would have changed the appearance of the armor? if you need a pic with his equipment and look I can send link.

Fine transmutation stones (for level 80 stuff). Post a picture and someone will probably be able to identify every piece for you if you want that exact look.

AC redesign
(Feb. patch):

-Story mode: much, much much much easier. Like, facerollable for 80s. Easily completable by a team of PUGs that doesn't just throw themselves into AOE without a care in the world.

-Explorable mode: HP for all mobs dramatically lowered, but almost every encounter was totally redesigned to be more challenging in terms of skill. The bosses are sort of harder, but really they just require coordination, whereas they required none before.

Remember: After the T3 Bounty tomorrow (4:00 EDT) we are doing Story Mode Dungeon Runs

Thanks, reading that post now.

And thanks for the 2nd post! Dungeon Run sounds exactly like what I need!

Also, just got my Monthly! Hopefully the force of luck is with me in this unidentified dye dice I'm gonna roll...

Retro

I'd need a link to the specific video, but looking at the first one that came up for him, it looks like the Twilight Arbor dungeon set's visuals; http://argos-soft.net/GW2ArmorGallery/index.php?sex=0&weight=2&race=2&armorSet=nmcourtmi&color=10 The Leafy bit on the back of his head is the dead giveaway.

Edit: Nevermind, he links pictures of his gear and it says "Nightmare armor of the Wurm." Definitely the TA armor set.

I'd need a link to the specific video, but looking at the first one that came up for him, it looks like the Twilight Arbor dungeon set's visuals; http://argos-soft.net/GW2ArmorGallery/index.php?sex=0&weight=2&race=2&armorSet=nmcourtmi&color=10 The Leafy bit on the back of his head is the dead giveaway.

Edit: Nevermind, he links pictures of his gear and it says "Nightmare armor of the Wurm." Definitely the TA armor set.

I think at one point he was wearing that set, but from what he posted most recently this is what his gear is

http://i.imgur.com/p50LQyH.jpg

Edit: So I found out where he got most of them, now my 2 problems are getting transmutation stones for level 80 gear and finding out where the stentor leggings are located.

Retro

I think at one point he was wearing that set, but from what he posted most recently this is what his gear is

http://i.imgur.com/p50LQyH.jpg

From the names, he's mixed and matched a bunch of gear; the TA shoulders, Order of Whispers gloves, 3 pieces of Tier 3 human cultural armor and Karma gear from Orr (the Stentor piece).

If you want to preview that look in game, just copy these one at a time and preview them;
[&AgGsDgAA]
[&AgHhQwAA]
[&AgGqDgAA]
[&AgHiFAAA]
[&AgFSEQAA]
[&AgGpDgAA]

nataku

The WvW maps are the biggest they can make them. At least, they said as much when they first started talking about WvW, and Colin confirmed it in Feburary. The maps are just too dense and there are far too many wide open paths for zergs to just run a set path around taking things over with little to no resistance. IMO, they need more gated walls like the ones near Dreadfall Bay to slow people down. Too many though and it just becomes a game of PvDoors, which no one finds fun. Player constructed walls or other defensive structures with a limit on the number you can make might be best, maybe as a future WvW rank ability.

Colin Johanson said this in Feburary:

Are you able to make a bigger WvW map?

Colin: No, bigger we can't do. With our existing tech those are the largest maps we can make (engine limitation). We're currently looking several different ways to spread players out, and that's been a big focus of the World Vs World team right now.

Proven

I can see how making the map larger would help small groups have enough time to accomplish something before getting wiped out and perhaps encourage more dispersed groups, but I also agree with the point that so many complain about running back to fights on the map already that making the map bigger would make those types of people just give up after getting rolled.

I think there might be other solutions. I think the issue I most agree with is the lack of siege importance. Arrow Carts were deadly in the first beta, got nerfed heavily and now don't make much a difference to the zerg. They can cause issues if you have a ton of superior arrow carts lined up, but it may be the 5-target limit that is holding all siege back from deterring zergs.

There is also an issue with the LOS and the walls of towers not providing enough protection. AoEs hitting arrow carts and the people on them without the defending players being able to get to the edge to hit back creates a problem. However, when I've seen siege set up against a zerg at a choke point like the SW BL supply camp or the Ogre Camp in EB, all the arrow carts and ballistas works extremely well. It's just that at most keeps and towers, it seems its the defenders are the ones choked off from getting at the attacking army.

As for sPVP, there's still a ton of work to do. Perhaps its time for ArenaNet to stop adding new features and switch teams over to sPVP to get that into the shape it needs to be. I'm not a fan of e-sports, but I am a big fan of GW1's pvp. They don't just need leader boards, spectator mode and a better solo queue, but a mode/map that offers a deeper and more varied meta game. The way their Conquest is setup, there's no room for there to anything other than bunker v burst/roamer.
The answer to the "running back and forth" problem would be to make the maps larger, and also add more waypoint opportunities. If towers could also get waypoints, they'd make great outposts on far reaches of the map to teleport to and then trek over to a supply camp. The fact is that they raised the population cap on each map to a point that was probably too high for the size of the maps, and then there were all the rumors of them lowering it and not telling anybody, pissing a lot of people off.

As for siege, there's supposed to be a much larger AoE cap (40) on any siege. If you noticed that it was less for arrow carts that was because of the damn arrow cart nerf. Catas and Trebs seem to stick to the higher cap at least.

I agree on building design problems and LoS issues. While I think they might be balanced in the end, they're frustrating to work with and don't seem to be initially designed for what the reality of the game system turned out to be.

As for Conquest, here's the thing. It works. It works really well. For an action game. It sucks for an RPG. When I go in playing my own combination of direct or condition DPS, some survivability skills or stats, and just depending on game knowledge and combos to stay alive and dish out punishment, it's fun. When I play it like an action game, it's fun. When I try to see it as an RPG, I see an unbalanced mess. The extremes of burst damage vs. survivability are way too far apart, and are stuck on a few classes for each side. But if I just go in with the assumption that I'm going to die within 3 seconds if I don't know what to dodge or how to counter what the other guy is doing, like in a lot of other action genres with low Time To Kill (e.g. FPS games), then I don't care anymore and manage to have fun anyway.

Overall, I would have preferred if Time To Kill was a lot longer, closer to duels in a fighting game than a 3-shots to kill FPS games. But then you'd need a block button or more dodges.

In addition: I've noticed that a lot more people are saying to "Practice with Knights, then go full Berserker" for everything PvE. That's another problem, I think.

Ashodin

Things like that make me glad GAF Guild doesn't encourage min/maxing. We only encourage unique playstyles.

(and we actually discourage elitism)

Yaska

Out of nowhere, is there still room in GAFguild? been pondering that it would be nice to actually play with a group of people instead of always soloing.

Yaska

Can find me with either Fire of Dawn or Yas.4376 I mainly play on JQ 'cause WvW tho, but with guesting I doubt it's a problem.

Edit: and joined. Thanks for the invite.

etiolate

Banned
The answer to the "running back and forth" problem would be to make the maps larger, and also add more waypoint opportunities. If towers could also get waypoints, they'd make great outposts on far reaches of the map to teleport to and then trek over to a supply camp. The fact is that they raised the population cap on each map to a point that was probably too high for the size of the maps, and then there were all the rumors of them lowering it and not telling anybody, pissing a lot of people off.

As for siege, there's supposed to be a much larger AoE cap (40) on any siege. If you noticed that it was less for arrow carts that was because of the damn arrow cart nerf. Catas and Trebs seem to stick to the higher cap at least.

I agree on building design problems and LoS issues. While I think they might be balanced in the end, they're frustrating to work with and don't seem to be initially designed for what the reality of the game system turned out to be.

As for Conquest, here's the thing. It works. It works really well. For an action game. It sucks for an RPG. When I go in playing my own combination of direct or condition DPS, some survivability skills or stats, and just depending on game knowledge and combos to stay alive and dish out punishment, it's fun. When I play it like an action game, it's fun. When I try to see it as an RPG, I see an unbalanced mess. The extremes of burst damage vs. survivability are way too far apart, and are stuck on a few classes for each side. But if I just go in with the assumption that I'm going to die within 3 seconds if I don't know what to dodge or how to counter what the other guy is doing, like in a lot of other action genres with low Time To Kill (e.g. FPS games), then I don't care anymore and manage to have fun anyway.

Overall, I would have preferred if Time To Kill was a lot longer, closer to duels in a fighting game than a 3-shots to kill FPS games. But then you'd need a block button or more dodges.

In addition: I've noticed that a lot more people are saying to "Practice with Knights, then go full Berserker" for everything PvE. That's another problem, I think.

Yeah, it seems siege doesn't have a player hit cap like player skills do, but they just aren't as effective as player skills.

For me, it's more than the time to kill that bugs me about Conquest. It's the lack of roles. That MOBA-like mode they had for Halloween had more roles and ways to contribute to victory than their main spvp mode has.

I hadn't heard that theory about PVE. It doesn't make sense to me. I can go full berserker on my Mesmer, but I feel that Mesmer is in an exception in how it can survive without needing to carry defensive stats. I think my Engineer is much better without going full damage, and instead more support/tanky stat combinations.

Proven

Yeah, it seems siege doesn't have a player hit cap like player skills do, but they just aren't as effective as player skills.

For me, it's more than the time to kill that bugs me about Conquest. It's the lack of roles. That MOBA-like mode they had for Halloween had more roles and ways to contribute to victory than their main spvp mode has.

I hadn't heard that theory about PVE. It doesn't make sense to me. I can go full berserker on my Mesmer, but I feel that Mesmer is in an exception in how it can survive without needing to carry defensive stats. I think my Engineer is much better without going full damage, and instead more support/tanky stat combinations.

Yeah, the lack of roles is the primary reason why I have to stop seeing it as an RPG. In an action game, all that matters is your pure ability to kill or not be killed. Evasion skills, defensive buffs, and pure block/invulnerability rule the day.

On the other hand, it can also be a way of seeing their aim come true. Everyone has to come in primarily with the ability to kill, secondarily with a way to keep themselves alive, and tertiary with a way to sustain or support others. The classes matter mostly in how they do it, rather than what they can do. This is where some of the balance frustration happens for me, because while there is build diversity there isn't equal capability for killing, surviving, and supporting, which is extremely frustrating at times.

But balance aside, it works for me because it becomes about pure skill and knowledge against the other player, while working map strategy. Storming a point together for a numbers advantage, holding out long enough or just retreating until a teammate arrives. You take whatever capable build you have, get into constant duels or team fights, but the build or role doesn't define the game but rather the map and map strategy.

Still, this is all stuff that works more for an action game than for an RPG, which says their balance between the two is a little bit off.

As for the Berserker argument, basically every class is trying to figure out ways to keep their DPS up because of Fractals and dungeon farming. Thieves use stealth, Mesmers teleport, Warriors have greatsword evasion (remember all those solo boss kills?), Rangers also use evasion, Eles/Engis have boons+kiting, Guardians have shields/invulnerability+tanking, Necros use kiting+tanking. That turned out in order of effectiveness, but I can say that even I can run around with Berserker gear on my power dagger Necro and do decent in both PvP and WvW, although I prefer Knights.

I definitely agree with their points (tales in tyria), mainly that it seems if you're outnumbered it kind of seems hopeless. This is problem in our tier (Maguuma just having more numbers than us) and tier 5 when we had more numbers than DR or IoJ. I did see a sweet video of a 5-6 DR group on the sbi forums try a tactic of trying to pull some ppl off of the sbi zerg tail end into a ballista to slow down the assault on one of their keeps. It worked well until they got overrun. To me, I would like to see stuff like that more, but the question is, against a 60-80 man zerg does it make all that much difference.

They talked about arrow cart placements against zerg but made no mention of aoe, which i feel is also a major problem in wvw. I mean why try to place ac's or man cannons or w/e when u can just get feared,aoe, and insta downed trying to man one. I know they're trying to fix aoe slow, but it just sucks that the slowness of ability changes is b/c they don't want to splinter the skills b/w pvp and pve.

They also mention that there might not be enough ppl working on wvw or pvp which I can see since I think after the update Mike Fergueson and i believe someone else stepped down from the wvw team to work on other projects in gw2. Who knows if they are pvp in nature, hopefully they are.

here is the dr video i was talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O7z4IAu-Mz4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom