• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thank you sir!
You're welcome, live it up :)
How fun is this April update?
I hope we're at the point where even people who hate the game and the update can acknowledge how impressive and substantial this addition is. As an April Fools' it blows everything else away including their own offerings. It's quite something.
We still expecting another April update at the end of month for flame and frost?
Yes, confirmed.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Man Raft zone is not forgiving!

I wonder when we'll see more zones. Will it not be until next year?

Ebris

Hey guys, looking for some dye advice. I'm still only in my 20's so I have a ways to go toward acquiring awesome-looking plate mail armor for my warrior, but I've been thinking ahead. I found some armor in the future that I'd want to use appearance-wise based around some Pathfinder art, but I'm trying to figure out what kind of colors in GW2 could match the colors found in this pic:

Hellknight

Would love to be able to replicate something like that later on in my warrior career. Thanks for any help!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You can turn in Baubles (collected in the Super Adventure Box) for some sick skins: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Super_weapon_skins
Moto's got a few other things for Baubles too (1 Bauble Bubble is 250 baubles)

Obsidian Shard - 1 Bauble Bubble
Crystal - 1 Bauble Bubble
6 Philosopher’s Stones - 1 Bauble Bubble
Super Adventure Box o’Fun - 3 Bauble Bubble

Hey guys, looking for some dye advice. I'm still only in my 20's so I have a ways to go toward acquiring awesome-looking plate mail armor for my warrior, but I've been thinking ahead. I found some armor in the future that I'd want to use appearance-wise based around some Pathfinder art, but I'm trying to figure out what kind of colors in GW2 could match the colors found in this pic:

Hellknight

Would love to be able to replicate something like that later on in my warrior career. Thanks for any help!
Off the top of my head I think you want Midnight Ice.

Moto's got a few other things for Baubles too (1 Bauble Bubble is 250 baubles)

Obsidian Shard - 1 Bauble Bubble
Crystal - 1 Bauble Bubble
6 Philosopher’s Stones - 1 Bauble Bubble
Super Adventure Box o’Fun - 1 Bauble Bubble

Off the top of my head I think you want Midnight Ice.

SAB box is 3 Bauble Bubbles my friend.

Managed to complete my Monthly by running around Wayfarer Foothills doing regular/Living Story events. Rewards were the equivalent of 10 dailies I believe, so it was worth it.

You know what I need? A Hawkian detailed account of what Super Adventure Box is like. I didn't get a chance to check it out last night but I did get baubles in the world zones. On one hand, the weapon skins are far less baubles than I anticipated so that's cool but on the other, 1G per item when I want multiple is steep for my frugal ass. Can you see the animation and particle effects at the vendor? Have a feeling I won't be able to resist the Staff and highly considering the Sword.

W1SSY

Signed in again for the first time in probably 3 months and love the new update. A little confused with all the new currencies and wish the Mac beta worked better but maybe with class slowing down I will be able to start playing a little more.

Arcteryx

Whew. Just realized those skins aren't bound and that they are relatively cheap(under 15g for most) on the TP.

Had some fun yesterday dicking about in the box, but I don't see myself wanting to keep doing it to get a skin. TP here I come!

Whew. Just realized those skins aren't bound and that they are relatively cheap(under 15g for most) on the TP.

Had some fun yesterday dicking about in the box, but I don't see myself wanting to keep doing it to get a skin. TP here I come!

Why get it form TP? You can get over 100 baubles in matter of minutes and then it's just 1G per skin. I was in Gendaraan Fields when I loaded the game up and noticed the chests on the map, just ran from chest to chest and literally within ten to twenty minutes I had over a hundred baubles.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Why get it form TP? You can get over 100 baubles in matter of minutes and then it's just 1G per skin. I was in Gendaraan Fields when I loaded the game up and noticed the chests on the map, just ran from chest to chest and literally within ten to twenty minutes I had over a hundred baubles.

Well uhhh you need like 12500 baubles, so that's still a long time of gathering.

Xevren

Yea, you need 50 bauble bubbles, not baubles. 250 baubles=1 bauble bubble.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You know what I need? A Hawkian detailed account of what Super Adventure Box is like. I didn't get a chance to check it out last night but I did get baubles in the world zones. On one hand, the weapon skins are far less baubles than I anticipated so that's cool but on the other, 1G per item when I want multiple is steep for my frugal ass. Can you see the animation and particle effects at the vendor? Have a feeling I won't be able to resist the Staff and highly considering the Sword.
Hooboy, I'll see what I can do! I think I could make something brief but informational. :)

Levyne

Banned
I ran through the thing on all of my 5 chars and now have something like 34 bauble bubbles. Do that again today and Ill have a skin!

Arken2121

OBYkCvm.jpg

First super weapon on my Spvp Toon. Very cool effects.

Well uhhh you need like 12500 baubles, so that's still a long time of gathering.

Yea, you need 50 bauble bubbles, not baubles. 250 baubles=1 bauble bubble.
'Blink' 'Blink' wat? hoo boy did I read that wrong. Nooooooo So long my sweet 8-bit staff prince, I barely knew thee :(
Hooboy, I'll see what I can do! I think I could make something brief but informational. :)

:D that's all I wanted as I it's only been one night so don't expect you to have mastered the thing hehe

Arcteryx

I wish it was that easy :p

As pointed out above you need the higher quality bauble^2 things(only found 4? I think during my playtime last night).

It's definitely do-able though, assuming you have multiple alts and just re-run the first zone(takes ~10 minutes solo).

Lunar15

Fun content, but not too fond of the 'grind' for the items.

I definitely agree in this case, although personally I don't care for the skins. I think for a one month event like this, something cool would have been to do speed runs or something, aka "more baubles the faster you get through", but that probably discourages more inclusive teams.

I just don't know how else they'd do it. Either way, just getting the content is sweet, and I really love what they did with it.

Also, I'm glad they're moving away from the cut-away talking heads cutscenes and back to in game cutscenes.

Xevren

Kind of hope to get lucky and get a great sword skin drop, can't believe it's going for over 40g. That OMG MUST HAVE phase.

Complistic

Got that gs skin to sell. Hard not selling it at 60 gold last night, but its a pretty sure thing that once it becomes unavailable it's going to be worth even more than that.

What's the difference between the rare skin drops from chests and the green vendor bought ones?

Nothing. They're both just skins. The rare quality aren't account bound so they can be sold. That's it. This is honestly the best system to ensure that anyone who wants it has a reasonable chance to get it... unless they do absolutely nothing lol.

I finally started to do some CoF runs in between clearing zones and have obtained multiple pieces of armor from there. I think I might like this better than Arah after all because particle effects just win everything. Only problem is CoF armor doesn't fit Mesmer AT ALL but I don't care because it looks bad ass and the only dungeon armor that looks remotely appropriate is TA and I don't like how it looks. The weapons from TA would sure be appropriate but they don't match the armor from CoF...decisions decisions. If only the CoF weapons looked good but the staff in particular is lame. The molten stuff would look good with it and be ideal but as we can only get those from BL chests....yeah. Admittedly if the weapon is especially cool like the 8bit staff seems to be, ZFG, I will use it!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Welcome to the month of April- a time when only a fool would choose to camp out in Lion's Arch over Rata Sum. Why's that? An industrious little Asura named Moto has unveiled his trademark invention: a cooperative, collaborative edutainment product that fosters communication, critical thinking and hand-eye coordination in Tyrians of all ages!

In the spirit of ArenaNet's hilarious FAQ on this event, I have structured this little guide the same way. Some of the more humorous/irrelevant questions are pulled from my scouring of the official forums this morning.

What the hell is this crap?

If you're looking for an in-lore justification of why there are 8-bit spiders breakdancing around the fields of Queendsale... first off, what's your problem? Second of all, the more eccentric Asura of Rata Sum have a long history of coming up with large, disruptive, even chaotically dangerous projects that make it to the production stage without getting permission from anyone. Toymaker Tixx unleashed a bunch of haywire toys upon the townsfolk of Tyria just a few short months ago.

Moto's invention, one hopes, will be less threatening and nightmarish than an army of princess dolls. However, true to form, his untested product is leaking some of his patented solid-holography enemies out into the real world. But don't worry. They expect you to be fighting them with nothing more than a pointy stick.

If you're asking in terms of gameplay, it's a silly, crazy fun minigame addition to Guild Wars 2 that replicates the feel of 8-bit Nintendo games, primarily Super Mario Brothers and The Legend of Zelda.

It will be around for the month of April, and it will return later, with more Worlds and features each time.

We'll all be waiting.

Assuming you're telling the truth, I'm in. How do I Super Adventure?

Just step into the box in Rata Sum alone or with a party of any size.

Nothing about your GW2 character progression matters in the SAB. There are no levels, there are no skills, there is no gear, there are no stats. You can take three hits (represented by "heart containers") before you die.

As soon as you begin, you'll be given a pointy stick and set off on your adventure.

Okay but once I'm in the box, how do I Super Adventure??

The overworld of Super Adventure Box is split up into Worlds, with each world further split into zones.

(Note: it would be really awesome if someone could screengrab the 'M' screen for me to put here)

So far, we have access to the entirety of World 1, consisting of 3 zones, and an early version of Zone 1 of World 2, just teasing what is to come.

Your play session inside the box is likely to consist of the following as you progress through the zones:
  • Collecting baubles. Baubles, baubles everywhere! These little blue orbs are a special currency for the SAB. At first, you can only carry a max of 250 with you inside the box. You can find them in the open world, get them from chests, or from killing sprites (just do not mess with the bunnies. Seriously.) Learn what you can buy with them below!
  • Finding Keys. Most sections of a zone have a chest in them that your party can open for a bunch of baubles. Basically, if you see keys lying around or they pop out of enemies, that's an indication that the part of the level you're in has a chest in it. Your goal is to get everyone in your party a key- the chest won't open unless all of you have one. In a pinch, you can simply buy a key from most of the shops for 25 baubles. This seems like a terrible idea at first, but baubles are ridiculously easy to come by. It makes more sense, if you're just waiting on one last key, to just buy it and get the chest and move on, than to spend time hunting.
  • Finding the chest. Sometimes the location of the chest will be obvious; sometimes it will be very out-of-the-way. When you do track it down, all members of your party must use their keys at the same time ('2' key) to unlock it. Bear in mind that with the 250-bauble cap, it may not even always be worthwhile to pursue the chest at all.
  • Looking for the next checkpoint. To progress in the SAB, you must find musical checkpoints that look like a keyboard of blue piano keys for each player to stand on. When the first person reaches this gate, your progress will be saved, and you'll spawn from this checkpoint if you die even if you haven't completed the area yet. All team members must be present on the keys to get the checkpoint to open, launching you up into the air. Note: sometimes this boost up allows you to reach unreachable areas, which may lead to secrets!
  • Shops. Shops are indicated by a simple door in a tree or wall you can enter. If you've ever played Zelda you know what you can find inside. Important stuff you should get early on include bombs (200 baubles to unlock, then cost 1 bauble to toss) and extra lives (25 baubles). In Zone 3, there's a shop available that can sell a bag upgrade to let you carry 500 baubles (250 baubles to unlock). You can also buy a whip to stun enemies, a shovel to dig for treasure, and health potions.

Oh, and feel free to pick up ('F') and smash anything that isn't nailed down. The shopkeeper won't mind, promise.
  • Queen Bee Dog. Each zone contains a rather hilarious, pirouetting dog in a bee costume with a tutu. This is a hidden optional boss worth lots o' baubles. Hunt her down and poke her to death. Nearby, you'll find a tasty honeycomb you can break open for even more baubles. Mmmm, baubles.
  • Secrets. NES-style secret rooms abound. Keep a keen eye out for any tough-to-reach areas or bombable walls. However, be aware that not all bombable walls are obvious or indicated by rubble.
  • Fighting the Boss. Each zone has a boss. Zones 1 and 2 have you face the giant floating head of the princess' abductor- he will rotate and shoot a laser beam at one of you at random. You can dodge forward to avoid it, so work on your timing! Otherwise, just bash the heck out of the cage and claim your goodies in the chest.

Zone 3 has you face off against King Toad. He is tough! Smash his crystal until shards pop off, then hold onto them until he opens his mouth showing his tongue. Throw the shard into his mouth and he'll be stunned, and your team can wail on him for a while. His stomp/shockwave attacks all have big tells, so keep an eye out to time your dodges and positioning. If no shard is thrown while he's holding his mouth open, he'll immediately afterward use a nearly screen-cleaning tongue-sweep attack. Watch out! King Toad is best tackled by a group, though he can be soloed.

That sounds fun, but what do I get for it?/That sounds horrendous, why would I want to put myself through it?

You can spend your baubles on Moto's wares right outside the shop. Most of his stuff costs Bauble Bubbles, better baubles basically boosted from Bubble Bobble, the best 8-bit bubble-based blast of bemusement eber. It costs 250 baubles per Bauble Bubble. You can also get 2 Bauble Bubbles directly from each of the Zone boss chests, once per day per character. These chests also have a chance to drop unbound versions of the Super Skins directly!

Here's what Moto can sell you:
  • The Super Skins. Really cool 8-bit-inspired skins with cube particle effects and other animations (the Staff has a fully articiulated 8-bit bird on top of it o_O). 50 Bauble Bubbles + 1g each.
  • Continue Coins. When you run out of lives in the SAB- in addition to seeing your impending doom and the
    true face of Moto
    - you'll need a Continue Coin to hop back into the game. 25 baubles. edit: This was removed!

Note: Moto also sells 5 continue coins for 1 Bauble Bubble. This is an insanely bad deal. Do not buy it. Now costs the same as buying individual Coins inside the SAB. Neither a good or bad deal. :p

Continue Coins can also pop out of any chest in the open world of Tyria, so don't hesitate to jump a few puzzles when you need a break from the Super Adventure!

If you don't have any Continue Coins when you die, you can buy one from the continue screen for 50 baubles. If you can't afford it, you get booted out of the 'ol box.
There are also a few useful things you can get with Bauble Bubbles even if you don't have any interest in the skins:
  • Obsidian Shard - 1 Bauble Bubble
  • Crystal - 1 Bauble Bubble
  • 6 Philosopher’s Stones - 1 Bauble Bubble
  • Super Adventure Box o’Fun. This is a revised version of the traditional Box o' Fun complete with 8-bit fireworks, transformations into the Monkeys and Spiders in the game, and more. 3 Bauble Bubbles.

Also important to note: so far as I can tell, there's no method by which to convert baubles to gold, at all. So if you don't want any of this stuff, it's not worth your time to try and collect baubles during the month.

50 Bauble Bubbles is insane. I can't believe you had to add a grind to the only fun part of this game.

First of all, it should be noted that the consensus actually seems to be that these requirements are way less demanding than the majority assumed they would be based on the quality of the skins. Some had even theorized that the April Fool's joke would be that you couldn't actually EVER get the skins permanently at all. So just keep that in mind.

Next, it's really not that bad. At all. 50 stacks of 250 baubles, or 12,500 baubles, sounds like an extraordinarily massive amount to collect by grinding the SAB, but this will never be necessary in practice.

Actually, I'd go so far as to say that, if you're willing to play the SAB and open-world content regularly over the course of the month- not solely, just in addition to or instead of other stuff you'd be doing in-game, whenever you feel like it- you'll easily be able to get 1 or 2 skins without even really trying, or get all of them with some coordinated effort.

What's great is there's a deceptively large number of ways to go about it...
  • First of all, the boss chests give you 2 Bauble Bubbles directly, per character per day. And those boss chests also have a chance to drop a rare, unbound version of the skins outright, too. And remember there are ZERO character requirements (a level 2 character with no weapons equipped would literally be equal in the SAB to an 80 in full zerker gear ;-]). So if you were to, say, run all three zones on 3 characters once a day for 3 days- just rush through and fight the bosses, no need to touch anything else- that would get you more than enough for a skin... on top of 9 chances per day to get one instantly. This potential just goes up the more characters you're willing to do it with.
  • Baubles are so addictively easy to come by in the game that you'll be looking for chances to blow them in the shop to get below the cap more often than you will be bauble-starved. Another good method of getting to 50 Bauble Bubbles would be to pick one or two characters to take through to get the Zone 3 bag upgrade (to hold 500), and use that character or those characters to play the crap out of the SAB. As above, 6 Bauble Bubbles and 3 skin chances would be guaranteed per run, but with this method you'd also want to hop around collecting as many as possible so that you hit the bauble cap and get an extra two Bauble Bubbles when you jump out of the box. Then you could literally hop right back in. As long as you don't try to do the same Zone twice in a row, there doesn't seem to be any DR whatsoever with regard to the regular baubles in the SAB.
  • You could simply run about in the open world hitting the 8-bit mysterious chests, turning in the baubles for a Bubble every time you get 250. I have no doubt at all that you could hit 50 and get a skin just playing the game regularly over the course of April this way. Each chest contains like 20-30 delicious baubles.
  • If you really Gotta Go Fast and you have an open character slot, you could simply make a character, speedrun Zones 1 and 2, deposit the Bauble Bubbles in your bank, delete the character, remake, and go again. This method ensures the only limit to how many guaranteed Bauble Bubbles you could get per day is how much time you can play.
  • Finally, the Super Skins have already made their way to the TP. The "easiest" method of getting one, as long as you have the patience and don't need the skin riiiiiiiight like now, would be to wait until the supply peaks late in the month and get in on the skins you want before the event ends and prices jump. The drop rate seems to be generous enough that prices will probably plummet once more people get some time in the box.

Of course, they can also be unlocked in PvP.

I don't like the skins, they don't fit my character. Why should I do this?

No kidding, it's a blast. Especially with others if you can get on voice chat.

This is going to sound a little silly, but I can't actually think of a single other example of another game like this game-within-a-game in this game. That is to say, it's not just a gimmick, but a rather detailed and lovingly-crafted online multiplayer platform adventure, with the traditional Nintendo design ethos: satisfaction on figuring something out, shiny rewards around every corner, clever hidden rooms and bonuses. It's early to tell, but my instincts tell me it even has the same ludicrous skill ceiling with regard to speedruns that shave fractions-of-a-second off each time you get better and memorize the levels further. Nothing would make me happier than somebody putting out a "Zone 1 world record speed clear" video within the month that the rest of the community could attempt to beat.

Everything in there can be done alone, but the multiplayer aspect really works. It's what I keep coming back to as something that hasn't really been done before. It's just not the kind of game that people design to be played online, if they add multiplayer at all. But it works. You can lead each other to secrets. You can buy keys for your party members. You can show each other how to make tough jumps. The closest thing I can think of would be: it's a little like being able to play New Super Mario Brothers or Zelda: Four Swords online, minus the occasional frustrating accidental (or satisfying intentional) murder of your teammates.

Is there anything else I should know?

If you suck at jumping puzzles, like a lot, there's Infantile Mode, which eliminates every scrap of challenge from the experience. Your white-hot jumping rage can be assuaged by way of rainbow bridges connected by clouds. If you do not feel this is enough to soothe your temper bear in mind the clouds are very happy about it.
Just go to the cloud in the middle of the 4 World selection Houses to activate it. Intrepid jumpers with a knack for exploration will have found the cloud high up on a tree in the same location. This is for Hard Mode, although it's not in the game yet. Word is that the mode is complete, but in testing, the additional crazy restrictions imposed by the difficulty tanked the ArenaNet servers, so they need to develop more stable tech to roll it out. If reading that perked your ears up, then you are one who understands the implication; the true Super Adventure Box starts here. I can't wait to see it.

If you look at the list of achievements, there is a whole bunch of stuff to try for. Finding all the secrets and baubles in each zone, digging 100 times, etc. Check 'em out, they're in their own category in the Achievements tracker.

Anything else related I should know about?

There's a pack of minis in the Gem Shop for 500 gems- you get the Super Spider, Super Monkey, and Super Bee Dog. And let me tell you it is all about the bee dog, dog.

This is a serious fantasy world. Guild Wars 2 does not need this kiddy stuff in it. I'm annoyed by the 8-bit noises of people's minipets.

Feel free to turn down the impeccably-rendered 8-bit versions of Jeremy Soule's exquisite score, smear some sort of fake blood on the edges of your screen, and listen to Emo while imagining the Super Adventure Box as some sort of lamentation of mindless consumerism. I suggest red food coloring for extraordinary value and The Used for extraordinary screaming.

That's all for now- see you in the Box!

Trey

Typical Anet. Introducing expansive, fun joke content instead of fixing the hard-hitting problems like Southsun Cove and clipping nail cuticles.

I just don't know Anet's vision anymore, I can't trust these guys.

Edit: I see your megapost is yet again PR addled optimism, Hawkian. Don't you see that Fractals are killing the game? My one rhetorical question is all that suffices. True critics are efficient.

Katoki

I still personally thing Arah is the prettiest instance. It's difference is really apparent when you walk into Arah because you go from a really gloomy and green fog environment to a zone with blue skies and no fog whatsoever. Maybe it's because you get to appreciate Orr/Arah more because of that instead of always feeling like you just need to get to your destination and get out when out in the world though.

Edit: SAB is fun and all but I can only go at it for about two hours at a time. Everything after the bright and cheery first zone kind of makes me feel nauseated after a while especially with how fast I move the camera around from regular play.

jersoc

if you want quick skins, you could make chars. run world 1 and 2(take shortcut in 2 to end boss). put in bank, delete, recreate

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
if you want quick skins, you could make chars. run world 1 and 2(take shortcut in 2 to end boss). put in bank, delete, recreate
Holy crap, that's brilliant/insane. I'll add it to the list of methods. I don't have a spare slot though.

hythloday

I still personally thing Arah is the prettiest instance. It's difference is really apparent when you walk into Arah because you go from a really gloomy and green fog environment to a zone with blue skies and no fog whatsoever. Maybe it's because you get to appreciate Orr/Arah more because of that instead of always feeling like you just need to get to your destination and get out when out in the world though.

This makes me reaaaally want to explore Arah some more. I've only ever done story mode because I am behind the times.

My favorite MMO "theme" to explore is an old, decayed ruin/temple. Someplace with a lot of lore behind it. Orr has it going on. It would be beautiful if not for the Risen everywhere getting their zombie poop all over everything. Pigeons are at least cute.

Hawkian, you grant my request in spades, sir. It really helps to have that explained before hand because I have limited time before my vacation. I'm an hour away from beating Bioshock according to that thread too which I need to squeeze in. That create/delete character idea is perfect for me. I'd love to take my time and do it right but I'm gone for nearly the whole month and want to ensure I at least get the staff but I'd really like the sword too and maybe the great sword if I can fit it in. Thank you, gentlemen! Now I just need to learn that boss shortcut but I should probably experience each zone normal once before resorting to that.

Edit: BTW, I'm listed as "plays" in the GAF Guild list but how long does that last? Want to figure out if that will change while I'm on vacay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom