• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I played for over 3 hours last night, only to realize I hadn't touched the Super Adventure Box. I'll have to make tonight all about that. Did a couple dungeon runs and a Fractal daily with guildies, then we did an impromptu Tier 3 Guild Trek (reeeeeeeeeeeallllly impressive work, everyone) and a Tier 1 Bounty for commendations. Then I got a 4-man team together on Mumble in tournament PvP; shout outs to Gattsby, Shoes, TheBobLoblawLawBlog and Xeris. We all got our dailies done in 3 or 4 matches... it really has become a lovely way to get your laurel and hone your skill a bit. I see myself spending even more time there. Finally I finished off the current Living Story achievements. The hints in the Dead Drop recordings were really good stuff. I love when the lore encourages you to try and piece things together before an unveil.

In addition to not making it to the SAB, I don't think I managed to hit a single World Boss either. I really want to start spending some serious time with my Mesmer in WvW, too. If you're the type of player who enjoys all the kids of content in-game to various extents, there's so much to get wrapped up in at any given time it's a little ridiculous.

Arcteryx

I played for over 3 hours last night, only to realize I hadn't touched the Super Adventure Box. I'll have to make tonight all about that. Did a couple dungeon runs and a Fractal daily with guildies, then we did an impromptu Tier 3 Guild Trek (reeeeeeeeeeeallllly impressive work, everyone) and a Tier 1 Bounty for commendations. Then I got a 4-man team together on Mumble in tournament PvP; shout outs to Gattsby, Shoes, TheBobLoblawLawBlog and Xeris. We all got our dailies done in 3 or 4 matches... it really has become a lovely way to get your laurel and hone your skill a bit. I see myself spending even more time there. Finally I finished off the current Living Story achievements. The hints in the Dead Drop recordings were really good stuff. I love when the lore encourages you to try and piece things together before an unveil.

In addition to not making it to the SAB, I don't think I managed to hit a single World Boss either. I really want to start spending some serious time with my Mesmer in WvW, too. If you're the type of player who enjoys all the kids of content in-game to various extents, there's so much to get wrapped up in at any given time it's a little ridiculous.

Yea I'm INCREDIBLY happy they decided to allow daily completion for laurels in PvP. Nice to take a break from having to gather/do other "mindless" tasks; plus, it seems to have brought some people(some, not many) back to PvP.

nataku

I really need to iron out my playstyle I want to do for my Mesmer. I can't jump into spvp when my gear is such a mess from trying so many different builds.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I really need to iron out my playstyle I want to do for my Mesmer. I can't jump into spvp when my gear is such a mess from trying so many different builds.
You know your gear doesn't apply, right? You can just get whatever you want in the Heart of the Mists.

Hey, guys. So I won't be able to play too much over the next couple of weeks due to tech week for my show coming up. Maybe on the weekends. But I was curious how often we do Guild Missions. Do we do them pretty regularly or are they always scheduled? I'd really like to try them out sometime.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Both, we have scheduled sessions on Friday nights and Saturday afternoons (EDT) and we also do random "makeups" rather often.

nataku

You know your gear doesn't apply, right? You can just get whatever you want in the Heart of the Mists.

... I knew that!

I completely forgot about the whole separate gear thing, lol. This is more about not knowing what playstyle I want to do on my mesmer than any specific gear setup, though. I suppose I could just go in and try everything though and see what I'm best at against actual humans. I just hate going into things blind.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's kind of fun to pick a spec, trait/sigil/equip for it, then try a match to see how it works and adjust before the next one based on where you went wrong or needed a boost. There's plenty of depth to it, but some maps encourage a more nuanced meta than others which is a real problem. This week's map, Forest of Niflheim, isn't awful but it has the most boring mechanic of any of the PvP maps, and doesn't really encourage mixing it up beyond "be good at burst damage, be hard to kill, or be good at getting in and out of places quickly."

Edit: looks like no more continue coins for 25 baubles. Suddenly the 5 for 1 bauble bubble is relevant. Guess it was a limited time offer!

Xevren

... I knew that!

I completely forgot about the whole separate gear thing, lol. This is more about not knowing what playstyle I want to do on my mesmer than any specific gear setup, though. I suppose I could just go in and try everything though and see what I'm best at against actual humans. I just hate going into things blind.

I've been going through that, don't be afraid to try out different things until you see what you like. I got bored with always going with the same shatter build so I changed it up, variety is the spice of life and all that.

Shoyz

So I can solo up to the boss in
Zone 3 Frog king?
but can't seem to do much to it. Any tips?

When he looks left, he'll stomp left, when he looks right, stomps right. Stand on the middle lillipad and when the wave comes, dodge roll through it, while being careful to stay on the lillipad. When he looks down he'll do a slam straight down with two waves, jump on the lillipads over to the rock and wait for it to end, and go back. He opens his mouth when he looks left/right.

The only part I'm not sure about is his tongue attack, but I'm fairly sure he uses it after opening is mouth and you not throwing a gem in.

Strategy is to run to the middle pad, wail on his gem until it breaks, being sure to dodgeroll the waves and right before his tongue if he opens his mouth early. Once the gem breaks for the first time you're pretty much set, because when you throw the gem in its mouth you can hit the gem a bit before he falls and while he's getting up and break it again before he does anything.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
But where are you losing 5 lives? Maybe exploring instead of speedrunning?
I died plenty of times in the Swamp in Zone 3. I like to explore and try to find everything I can without using guides beforehand. But really you can buy one for 50 at the continue screen, so it's still not all that wise a move. 50 for one is a better deal than 250 for 5 simply because you'll lose fewer lives as you get better. However, when Hard Mode rolls out we may find ourselves starved for dem coins.

I've already speedrun all three zones without using a continue so obviously they're not necessary for that.

Arken2121

Poison levels in any game are the worst(looking at you DS). Just got my Super shield, staff, scepter and sword. Just waiting for the Hammer. Very fun event.

When he looks left, he'll stomp left, when he looks right, stomps right. Stand on the middle lillipad and when the wave comes, dodge roll through it, while being careful to stay on the lillipad. When he looks down he'll do a slam straight down with two waves, jump on the lillipads over to the rock and wait for it to end, and go back. He opens his mouth when he looks left/right.

The only part I'm not sure about is his tongue attack, but I'm fairly sure he uses it after opening is mouth and you not throwing a gem in.

Strategy is to run to the middle pad, wail on his gem until it breaks, being sure to dodgeroll the waves and right before his tongue if he opens his mouth early. Once the gem breaks for the first time you're pretty much set, because when you throw the gem in its mouth you can hit the gem a bit before he falls and while he's getting up and break it again before he does anything.

Thanks I didn't know you could roll through the waves. I had been trying to get back up onto the platforms above the lily pads.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So is all of the content in the Super Adventure Box email actually playable? It's not just an April fools joke right?
The April Fools' Joke is how real it all is.

Although rumors are that the open world chests have disappeared throughout Tyria?

ArenaNet yet again puts the industry to shame in terms of free content, god damn that's incredible.

It is pretty amazing, especially when so many other MMO's attempt to nickle and dime you for everything you have. GW2 is probably some of the best money I've spent on an MMO just in regards to how much stuff I've gotten for the price.

I keep buying gems even though I have no use for them simply to show them my support.

Levito

Banned
It is pretty amazing, especially when so many other MMO's attempt to nickle and dime you for everything you have. GW2 is probably some of the best money I've spent on an MMO just in regards to how much stuff I've gotten for the price.

I keep buying gems even though I have no use for them simply to show them my support.

It's the best bang for buck game that I've ever seen, just think about how many other games dare to charge you for stuff like a new maps for multiplayer.

Seriously I'm just in awe of ArenaNet.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I decided how many of each skin I want from the Super Adventure Box.

I need 800 Bauble Bubbles to be satisfied. Won't see me doing anything but SAB for April!

Ashodin

It's the best bang for buck game that I've ever seen, just think about how many other games dare to charge you for stuff like a new maps for multiplayer.

Seriously I'm just in awe of ArenaNet.

If you're this impressed, wait until the later half of this year. Should be even more amazing content.

Levyne

Banned
I'm not as enamored I guess. I love permanent long term content additions like Fractals and Guild Missions. Temp Diversions like SAB and other holiday type stuff are interesting but not nearly as much so for me. Southsun was/is kind of crap compared to, say, Sorrows Furnace in GW1.

Hopefully FnF finale and other living story stuff gets to that level.

I dunno if that's well thought out or not, I'm just typing on my phone as I wait for an old work computer to take an hour+ indexing something.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I decided how many of each skin I want from the Super Adventure Box.

I need 800 Bauble Bubbles to be satisfied. Won't see me doing anything but SAB for April!
Datsa lot o' baubles!
I'm not as enamored I guess. I love permanent long term content additions like Fractals and Guild Missions. Temp Diversions like SAB and other holiday type stuff are interesting but not nearly as much so for me. Southsun was/is kind of crap compared to, say, Sorrows Furnace in GW1.

I dunno if that's well thought out or not, I'm just typing on my phone as I wait for an old work computer to take an hour+ indexing something.
Don't be deceived by the tie-in to April Fool's Day and all of the nostalgic nerves the SAB is striking- it is a content platform addition like Fractals and Guild Missions, but by an initially much smaller team and with a cyclical or sporadic presence in-game rather than a permanent one. From now on, there can be new SAB releases just like there can be new Fractals or new bounties or new types of guild missions added.

Obviously it's not going to be for everybody, some will be bored by it, some will hate it, percentages and contrast, etc. etc., but those who have played and enjoyed it know that there is intrinsic merit to it as a type of content that can be expanded on. Even after you brush away the 8-bit flashbacks and Nintendo references around every corner, there's a fun and addictive game (or minigame if it suits you) at its core, and I can't wait to see more.
Josh Foreman said:
I'm really glad that my project isn't popular only because it's an homage. I really wanted to make sure there was a solid game under that wrapper too.
It's already confirmed to be coming back, with World 2 ready to go (and hopefully hard mode!). So I'm not quite thinking of it as a temporary diversion so much as a permanent content addition that just isn't always accessible (yet).

When it comes to Southsun Cove, of course it pales in comparison to Sorrow's Furnace. There's barely anything there. I like the jumping puzzles and it's nice for relaxing lazy T6 farming, but in terms of activity it sticks out like a sore thumb compared to every other zone. The trouble is that you're comparing the Sorrow's Furnace update to Southsun Cove, but in actuality the patch that added it brought Southsun Cove, the one-time live Karka Invasion event, and Fractals to the game. I think that stacks up much more favorably.

Anyway my hope is that ArenaNet is getting better at allocating resources to the teams that need them, and that it will largely be counterproductive to ever criticize a content addition as somehow being to the exclusion of other things that should have been patched "instead." Ultimately I'm betting all of this stuff can coexist harmoniously and just grow and grow over time, for the benefit of all players.

Beyond any further PvE content additions what I actually most want to see next is a big PvP push with another map, a skill metagame balance pass, the readied custom arenas and spectator mode, and some kind of catalyst to get new players to jump in without being too intimidated (maybe a PvP 'event' of larger scale than what we've seen before). PvP has been treated like the ugly stepchild of this game so far, as I have my theories as to why from an internal perspective, but the other areas of the game have both recently become a lot stronger- it's time!
ArenaNet has already stated they'll revisit Southsun. How soon, who knows
:3

God I want to check out SAB and start grinding those bubbles for some sweet skins but have to wait until the end of the month. I have one last piece of armor to get from CoF so doing those runs and dailies is the priority for tonight. Have to watch GoT opener with friends and pack which really doesn't leave me time to try SAB. I've obtained 6 or so of the continue coins from LA JP chests though and probably have close to 200 baubles from the limited amount of the chests I've opened in world zones. Bioshock and CoF runs have prevented me from doing as much as I normally would have. All in good time!

Since I'll be wrapping up my armor tonight hopefully, I'll be looking to start guild missions with you guys when I get back for those comms. Need to get my other earring :D Will look into what weapon I want to get as well, feel free to send recommendations for a zerker staff and sword (already have focus but still interested in skins). Actually, does the Super Staff and Super Sword come in zerker stats at the vendor? That would be awesome! Two birds with one stone! Shouldn't get excited at that prospect until one of you confirms haha

Retro

If you're this impressed, wait until the later half of this year. Should be even more amazing content.

This. And it's not just the usual "Ooo, we talk to the devs" stuff either; they honestly don't tell us much when we talk to them, usually just what to expect in terms of the timing of the patch, who got the most profession changes, etc.

If you look at the last few updates, it's very clear that they've been simultaneously fixing the rough patches that came about in the transition from development to a post-launch service while establishing a foundation for future content to be built on. Hell, they as much as told us exactly that months ago.

Hawkian made an excellent point the other day too; the Super Adventure Box is merely another platform on which to build content. Any time in the future, they can drop a new world into the SAB and kick it back in for a month and give people something wildly different from the usual game.

Likewise with Fractals, Guild Missions and (now that culling is fixed) World vs. World. All of these things are basically open ended and able to receive additional content at any time in the future. I have no doubt that when they wrap up the dungeon revamp they started with AC, we'll start to see them layer in more explorable mode routes too.

We don't know what their plans are for the future, but given how they're taking the first half of the year to make sure everything is rock solid and able to expand, it sounds like the second half will be lots of content or something entirely new. Very excited for what's coming.

It's like the fair came to town. There's lots of things to do in the world, but here's this special new thing that's fun and different to goof around in. I like that they mix things up so often and don't feel constricted to just adding more of the same content. As much as I want to see them add new zones with new events and such, that's honestly just more of the same content as the other zones. I like all of that stuff, but at some point I do like something different. Stuff like the SAB just mixes it up and gives us something new to do.

As for Southsun, I would be very surprised if they don't do something with that soon. The fact that the Consortium is moving refugees down there specifically seems like foreshadowing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
God I want to check out SAB and start grinding those bubbles for some sweet skins but have to wait until the end of the month. I have one last piece of armor to get from CoF so doing those runs and dailies is the priority for tonight. Have to watch GoT opener with friends and pack which really doesn't leave me time to try SAB. I've obtained 6 or so of the continue coins from LA JP chests though and probably have close to 200 baubles from the limited amount of the chests I've opened in world zones. Bioshock and CoF runs have prevented me from doing as much as I normally would have. All in good time!

Since I'll be wrapping up my armor tonight hopefully, I'll be looking to start guild missions with you guys when I get back for those comms. Need to get my other earring :D Will look into what weapon I want to get as well, feel free to send recommendations for a zerker staff and sword (already have focus but still interested in skins). Actually, does the Super Staff and Super Sword come in zerker stats at the vendor? That would be awesome! Two birds with one stone! Shouldn't get excited at that prospect until one of you confirms haha
They're just skins. They don't "exist" as such. You apply them to the weapon of your choice (hopefully you know this already, but this is just a simplification of something you can do with any weapon stats/skin- look up Transmutation Stones).

Ashodin

ACCESSORY

Near the end of April, I'll also have to be packing as well. Going to move in with the fiancée soon!

Southsun still remains a mystery to myself and everyone I talk to. My personal theory is that the story and events were supposed to continue, but the dev team got tied up with other updates like fractals and the WvW additions to continue developing it.

I really could have seen a chain where we slowly move south either to the ring of fire or down to Cantha eventually.

So they pushed it out as an event, which was fun, but then were too tied up with other content updates to continue what they wanted to do with it, so they have just left it hanging until later. It's sad too, its a cool looking place, but other than farming blood it really serves no purpose.

Ashodin

goddamn that SAB zone 1 music.

FrancoSoGood.gif

ahahaha Kristen and her pug with the bee costume

72958_10151445441439209_1169776757_n.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
D'awwww actual real life bee dog.

It would appear all North American servers have reached Very High population.

Jira

D'awwww actual real life bee dog.

It would appear all North American servers have reached Very High population.

Yeah they were all Very High 2-3 days ago. Funny that the Medium pop servers turned into Very High in a matter of a week or so.

hythloday

So they pushed it out as an event, which was fun, but then were too tied up with other content updates to continue what they wanted to do with it, so they have just left it hanging until later. It's sad too, its a cool looking place, but other than farming blood it really serves no purpose.

That's a thought. Honestly, I was thinking about it at work today (instead of working, tee hee) and I think of everything so far, Southsun is the only thing I can say I just don't care for.

The event was OK, but the culling really reduced the fun factor and it was a one-time thing. The zone is pretty, but there was absolutely no real reason to go there unless you wanted Passionfruit or whatever and didn't feel like buying it on the TP.

That said, it's an open slate, and they can basically do anything with it. The other stuff they've done is cool, so I'm optimistic about what's in store for Southsun.

Edit: D'awwwwwww pugs always look worried. It's OK little dog!

hythloday

GW2-related thing I've learned today:

One of our cats is terrified of plushie Rytlock. Especially when Retro's making it walk towards her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom