• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katoki

After what we did last night, I feel like I NEED to run a warrior, necro, or guardian in PvP. At least WvW allows me to be a slippery thief.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I do pretty well with my thief in PvP, but I'm not relying on a stealth build. I do run into them sometimes, though, and they hurt. The be-all-end-all of having a bunker build really varies depending on the map, but Foefire definitely encourages it. Still having speed and maneuverability comes in handy for assaulting the Keep Lord.

Mesmer really excels in different ways in all types of content too.

birdchili

what i really want is more open-world content that's semi-consistently challenging for reasonably-geared level 80s. there are events and some champs that are, but most of the maps are pretty-much dull from a combat/farming perspective now. perhaps some --toughness/healing/vitality, ++magic find gear?

SAB has fantastic personality, but the gw2 engine isn't a great platforming engine, and i spent a few hours in there duo, and i don't see anything that makes it more interesting as a multiplayer experience (there might be, but it's not obvious at-all). Are there actually puzzles (the ad mentioned puzzles, but it seemed pretty straight-forward)?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Mesmer really is the most useful class. Wouldn't ever turn one down in any situation.

SAB has fantastic personality, but the gw2 engine isn't a great platforming engine,

You should try the platforming in SWTOR. It will make GW2 look like Mario Galaxy.

Prezhulio

Did all of SAB tonight solo. This may actually be my favorite piece of content in the entire game. I can't wait to see what the Rapids and future worlds look like, and I can't believe this is a temporary thing they did for such a random holiday.

My birthday is in April, so if this rolls around every year about this time? I won't mind getting older in the slightest.

just out of curiosity, how many bubble babbles did you end up with when it was all said and done?

furthermore: i just hit lvl 70 and i'm starting to feel the itch to use my laurels and karma soon. i have around ~300k karma and 33 laurels right now, will probably have ~40 laurels when i hit 80 given my playing to the dailies usually. i spend my gold pretty frequently on crafting supplies from the tp so haven't banked anything there, but my purse overfloweth with karma and laurels (or it feels that way since i rarely spend them).

so my question: what's the best way to spend karma and laurels when you hit 80? my artifcer is at 310 right now so i'm set with rare weapons and offhands as i level, but haven't invested in any other crafting. would the necromancer kit that gives two rare armors lvl 78-80 be a good way to spend laurels? my armor for the past 60 hours just seems so generic :(

also, does the banked skill point system use every get explained? where do i use those extra ones, the mystic forge? and to what end/how?

i've used the wiki to try and find these answers, but there's no real direct guide i could find for "making your PvE character look cool with your currencies"

birdchili

You should try the platforming in SWTOR. It will make GW2 look like Mario Galaxy.
that's not a compelling argument:)

i do kind-of like what they're trying with SAB, but in a game that's both multiplayer-centric, and character-building-centric, a minigame that has little to recommend it from a multiplayer perspective, as well as stripping all non-aesthetic customizations from my character is a hard sell.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
WoodenPatatoes is having a speed run contest for SAB. Winner gets 50 ectos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4IhTUBILLs
Yessssss. Great idea.
so my question: what's the best way to spend karma and laurels when you hit 80? my artifcer is at 310 right now so i'm set with rare weapons and offhands as i level, but haven't invested in any other crafting. would the necromancer kit that gives two rare armors lvl 78-80 be a good way to spend laurels? my armor for the past 60 hours just seems so generic :(
You're probably going to want to save your laurels for Ascended gear.

i do kind-of like what they're trying with SAB, but in a game that's both multiplayer-centric, and character-building-centric, a minigame that has little to recommend it from a multiplayer perspective, as well as stripping all non-aesthetic customizations from my character is a hard sell.
This must just be a personal preference thing...

-I think the platforming is pretty stellar for an MMO. I'm playing with a gamepad and it's just about the most natural thing in the world. The normalized movement speed, jump arcs and collision detection make a lot of sense, and you can do stuff that just SEEMS like it should work, like attacking while jumping. Typically the biggest issue with jumping puzzles is the camera, but I haven't had any camera problems in the SAB.
-I've had an absolute blast in the box in multiplayer. Like, actually laughing out loud, getting excited when someone finds a secret, cheering when we hit a chest with all the keys. If "fun" isn't a compelling incentive to recommend it then I take your point. It's identical solo in terms of content.
-Actual minigames shouldn't ever take your gear or build into account. Keg Brawl functions exactly the same way. It ensures that there's a level playing field and that you aren't unknowingly gimping yourself, as well as making it available to characters from 1-80 if they choose to participate.

just out of curiosity, how many bubble babbles did you end up with when it was all said and done?

furthermore: i just hit lvl 70 and i'm starting to feel the itch to use my laurels and karma soon. i have around ~300k karma and 33 laurels right now, will probably have ~40 laurels when i hit 80 given my playing to the dailies usually. i spend my gold pretty frequently on crafting supplies from the tp so haven't banked anything there, but my purse overfloweth with karma and laurels (or it feels that way since i rarely spend them).

also, does the banked skill point system use every get explained? where do i use those extra ones, the mystic forge? and to what end/how?

i've used the wiki to try and find these answers, but there's no real direct guide i could find for "making your PvE character look cool with your currencies"

It really just depends on what you want to do. You could use the Necro kit but I don't know how it determines what it gives you so there's a chance you could end up with duplicate armor slots. You could use the Laurels towards Ascended Gear (Acc and Pendant slots) or towards Obsidian Shards if you're working towards a legendary weapon. Karma can get you Obsidian Shards, Lodestones (for legendarys and unique weapons), or Exotic quality gear.

Before we could best advise you.. you should check out the armor sets available to Level 80's and put together a wishlist of sorts. Then we would be able to more accurately tell you where to spend what.

I should do that. I've gotten faster times than that.

Well keep in mind the contest is looking for the fastest of all submitted times. From the description on the video:

Send me a message of a video and the person who wins by most next wednesday gets the prize! Good luck everyone!

It's a really weird to way to say the fastest time wins.

Edit:Crap.. double post. sorry!

Arcteryx

Spend the laurels on an amulet; pick up the rings through fractals; spend the karma on armor/trinkets/etc. Laurels for the class specific boxes is a HUGE no-no IMO. You're better off straight buying the armor off the TP(or crafting if available), as the time to get a laurel is WAY longer than the time to get gold from CoF/any other dungeon/WvW/etc.

etiolate

Banned
I would go a little farther and say that the hot-join 8v8 matches (I'm not using sPvP and tPvP anymore dammit!) are not a good jumping in point for new players. As a new player I found it incredibly discouraging and didn't feel like I learned anything. I guess if you stuck with it and just made the best of it you would learn, but it just couldn't hold my interest that long, being such a chaotic mess. Nothing at all like an eSport, more like an open Half-Life Deathmatch server except even though nobody wants it to be, it's locked to team control point mode. It's good for getting quick glory from heartlessly killing people who don't know what they're doing, but that just makes me feel like part of the problem :p

Totally agree about the last part though, by the way. The skill ceiling for the combat in this game is much higher than it seems at first glance and honing your ability in tournaments is a really good way to get closer to it, even when you hop back into PvE. I know personally I've already made a sigil chance to one of my main PvE builds based on trying stuff out in the mists.

edit:

There's a comment in there about being forced to WvW. I saw that there's a WvW entry on the monthly, but with the choose your own monthlies not even that could be an issue. I wonder what that is referring to. Frankly I wouldn't mind being a little more "forced" to WvW than I am now, I just don't have time for it most nights with everything else I wanna do!

edit: Oh shit you guys are all over that. Sorry.

Yeah, Hotjoin is more of a problem than anything. In some discussion, maybe it was the last sotg video, they said they're trying to work in a single-queue tournament mode and have it be the start-in point. They should just turn Hot-Join into an official Deathmatch.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Well keep in mind the contest is looking for the fastest of all submitted times. From the description on the video:

It's a really weird to way to say the fastest time wins.

Edit:Crap.. double post. sorry!

Yeah I know, I'll probably try sometime. We'll see.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, Hotjoin is more of a problem than anything. In some discussion, maybe it was the last sotg video, they said they're trying to work in a single-queue tournament mode and have it be the start-in point. They should just turn Hot-Join into an official Deathmatch.
Something different than the quick tournaments, or was that what they meant? You can queue for them solo or with any number of party members.

edit:

A new piece on the music of Super Adventure Box.

Spend the laurels on an amulet; pick up the rings through fractals; spend the karma on armor/trinkets/etc. Laurels for the class specific boxes is a HUGE no-no IMO. You're better off straight buying the armor off the TP(or crafting if available), as the time to get a laurel is WAY longer than the time to get gold from CoF/any other dungeon/WvW/etc.

So I guess my spending laurels on the 10 dyes is probably a waste then. heh

Levyne

Banned
There's that "you never feel stronger" argument in the other thread.

There are plenty of arguments against the game, but that one is one I cannot buy...

W1SSY

Is the Gaf guild full? I have started to get back into the game and played the past couple of days but without a group talking it is kind of boring.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There's that "you never feel stronger" argument in the other thread.

There are plenty of arguments against the game, but that one is one I cannot buy...
I must agree, that is one piece of misinformation I cannot abide.

If you reach 80 and finish your build, return to any of the starting zones, and do not feel like an absolute destroyer of worlds, you accidentally installed the wrong game. I think people might get tripped up by this point because you can't just not pay attention like you can when overleveled in other games. If you're idling and you get attacked you aren't invincible.

But out of curiosity I once pulled 15 wolves at once (wolves have a skill that summons more wolves, so I killed 30 at the very least) in Snowden Drifts, a 15-25 zone (it may have even been Timberline Falls, I can't remember). Absolutely no threat.

Hell, you should feel overpowered in any <60 zone once you're properly geared and traited.

Is the Gaf guild full? I have started to get back into the game and played the past couple of days but without a group talking it is kind of boring.
You are hereby required to join. Please provide a character or account name or whisper one of the officers listed in the OP. :)

birdchili

-I think the platforming is pretty stellar for an MMO. I'm playing with a gamepad and it's just about the most natural thing in the world. The normalized movement speed, jump arcs and collision detection make a lot of sense, and you can do stuff that just SEEMS like it should work, like attacking while jumping.
gamer fail - i hadn't even noticed that.

Typically the biggest issue with jumping puzzles is the camera, but I haven't had any camera problems in the SAB.
really? it's better than the main game, since there's often less terrain in the way, but there's definitely camera issues still. the inability to get a top-down camera drives me a bit nuts on the trampolines too.

having the really geometric terrain avoids a lot of the "can i actually land there?" issues that plague the main game platforming though.

-I've had an absolute blast in the box in multiplayer. Like, actually laughing out loud, getting excited when someone finds a secret, cheering when we hit a chest with all the keys. If "fun" isn't a compelling incentive to recommend it then I take your point. It's identical solo in terms of content.
the main game is identical in terms of content too, largely, but there are things you can do with groups that make having others around more interesting (combos, healing downed players, etc...) here there's little incentive to group for the gameplay itself. sure: more fun with others, but that's just because the shared experience is fun - it's not game-design.

-Actual minigames shouldn't ever take your gear or build into account. Keg Brawl functions exactly the same way. It ensures that there's a level playing field and that you aren't unknowingly gimping yourself, as well as making it available to characters from 1-80 if they choose to participate.

*some* minigames shouldn't take your gear into account for those reasons, but i don't see a particular issue with allowing you to "build for the minigame" either. the lack of character customization is a lesser complaint than the lack of multiplayer gameplay features.

i definitely had fun for a few hours. i want someone to make a proper action-rpg/mmo/platform game now:)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
i want someone to make a proper action-rpg/mmo/platform game now:)
If nothing else, I hear that. It's way more powerful a proof-of-concept than I expected. Like I said before, I can't think of any other examples of games that are the same kind of game as the Super Adventure Box (despite being a tiny part of GW2). The closest examples I can think of are the offline multiplayer iterations of Nintendo classics, like NSMB or Four Swords.

It really works. Imagining puzzles that actually required multiple people (you stand on this switch to lower a platform, Player 2 runs up it to hit a button, which gives Player 3 a 10-second window to kill a miniboss... endless possibilities)... it could stand on its own if given a full-team push behind it as a proper game if built from the ground up.

Ahhh hell, maybe the new worlds will actually incorporate some of that stuff. It's mindboggling how small a team pulled this off.

Retro

I'm staying out of the "Other Thread" since I'm sure I'll act as a lightning rod for the haters and you guys already have it well in hand. I'm sick anyways, and the worst of the comments are so laughably disingenuous that anyone can see right through them.

I'd have to look. Not a ton, because I went and bought bombs, the shovel, whip, etc. to get the achievement (though some of that stuff looks like it is needed). I mostly just went through for fun, looking for hidden passages (managed to get all of them for Zone 1 and 2) and to see if it was solo-able.

True, but it's one of the few places where those things happen in GW2 so I think it can be forgiven (Kegbrawl works the same way). Also, I would disagree with it having little multiplayer value; like the console games of the 80s and 90s it emulates, it becomes inherently more fun with someone to play with.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
True, but it's one of the few places where those things happen in GW2 so I think it can be forgiven (Kegbrawl works the same way). Also, I would disagree with it having little multiplayer value; like the console games of the 80s and 90s it emulates, it becomes inherently more fun with someone to play with.
It really does feel similar, doesn't it?

Am I nuts, or are there actually no other online games of this kind? I feel like I'm missing something Nintendo put out with online support.

birdchili

Also, I would disagree with it having little multiplayer value; like the console games of the 80s and 90s it emulates, it becomes inherently more fun with someone to play with.
i didn't say that (i concede it's more fun with others)... i just wish they had added some interactions between players.

the ability to give another player one of your hearts would be really nice, for example (and would allow folk of uneven play-skill to play more easily together).

how many people worked on it? and for how long? i assume they talked about this somewhere?

i think one of the reasons we haven't seen a more platform-centric mmo/online game is network latency. lots of platform standards require extremely precise timing of a sort that would be very unforgiving if your network connection is anything other than excellent.

i didn't say that (i concede it's more fun with others)... i just wish they had added some interactions between players.

the ability to give another player one of your hearts would be really nice, for example (and would allow folk of uneven play-skill to play more easily together).

how many people worked on it? and for how long? i assume they talked about this somewhere?

i think one of the reasons we haven't seen a more platform-centric mmo/online game is network latency. lots of platform standards require extremely precise timing of a sort that would be very unforgiving if your network connection is anything other than excellent.

Isn't that new space MMO a sort of platform game? In think its published by NCsoft, forgot the name.

They had this very cool jumping puzzles a while back, where people had to race up a timed jumping puzzle, but people got furious because larger character models were in the way of others, so you had to this very tightly timed condensed puzzle which was difficult, and lots of people would fail or confuse each other by jumping into each other.

The cool thing was the sense of community. people tried for hours and hours to do it, and almost had these community support groups.

Point being; it was a singular one-man progression, but you shared the experience with others. players seem to bind together more meaningful in the face of mad difficulty. so much rage and tears over the mad king!:D

Retro

They posted a photo of the Super Box Team on facebook yesterday; 8 people (and a pug in a bee costume) did the entire thing. Not sure how long it took them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh man, just WAIT for Guild Puzzles.

I just realized- you should look over this post I made: Putting Together Your Sets

You can scroll down to where it says "How Can I Put Together My Set(s)?" and let me know if you have any questions!

You'll want to check out the Argos Soft galleries (www.argos-soft.net) to decide on skins.

etiolate

Banned
WildStar? I don't know much about it other than what's in the teaser videos they released recently - it has heavy platforming elements?

It has double jumps and I've seen some small bits of platforming in areas. I think there's extra platforming if you're an explorer, but I am just really guessing at that.

Ashodin

Oh man I love when Durante posts in that new GW2 thread. He lays the smackdown.

Also, where the hell is that WVW Map? HuuuH?

Prezhulio

Oh man, just WAIT for Guild Puzzles.

I just realized- you should look over this post I made: Putting Together Your Sets

You can scroll down to where it says "How Can I Put Together My Set(s)?" and let me know if you have any questions!

You'll want to check out the Argos Soft galleries (www.argos-soft.net) to decide on skins.

thanks to everybody for the responses, very helpful. especially this post...looks like everything that looks awesome is from dungeon tokens....which i have not done one dungeon lol.

Fewr

Thanks for letting me join the guild. I'm still learning how to play. What can I do to contribute to the guild?

Retro

Thanks for letting me join the guild. I'm still learning how to play. What can I do to contribute to the guild?

Just play, and group with any GAFers you happen to be with for events. It earns us Influence which lets us unlock stuff.

When ever you see my characters online, Kos Luftar, Leaf Luftar or Drangue Luftar just give him all you loot and money. This is the best way to contribute to the guild.

etiolate

Banned

You gotta earn that DKP

=P

Just shout out if you need help with anything. This is a game where it's no problem to go back to lower level areas.

Lunar15

Got dat guild scepter:

397E6B40B0C770CDBAA6713109C9AD6D795F709D

Stupid Grind Wars 2, it took me SOOOO long to get this. /sarcasm

XaosWolf

Well haven't booted up GW2 since Halloween, but Super Adventure Box has pulled me back.
Had a short try on it and can't wait to go through it with some other people in tow.

Also sure I'm not the only one who dressed up as the one of the Super Charrio Brothers:

Tried the box and ... WOW is this annoying.

Not only is it covered in jumping puzzles (which I suck at. This game is super fun but the logic behind these puzzles is beyond me ...) but it's also laggy as hell for me.

Looks like there will be no awesome Skins for me :[
so i am in the anvil rock server (cuz of friends) are there any gaffers there as well?

I am (Cause of friends as well).

No big deal, just pop into the SB server when you wanna Gaf it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom