• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shambles

Man I've forgotten what shit the high level orrian based areas are. ANet just needs to straight up delete everything they've made near that Orr area and try again.

Retro

One of our cats is terrified of plushie Rytlock. Especially when Retro's making it walk towards her.

I think she was just startled that there was something roughly cat-sized with a tail near me, and when it moved she was prepared for the worst.

In my defense, the other cat doesn't seem to mind Guild Wars 2:
imag0036y0rnp.jpg

Man I've forgotten what shit the high level orrian based areas are. ANet just needs to straight up delete everything they've made near that Orr area and try again.

They revamped all of Orr in January, removing a lot of mobs, taking away the CC abilities the remaining ones had, and added a bunch of waypoints that are never contested.

It's not supposed to be someplace you just hang out in, nothing is going to change that. If this were Lord of the Rings, you'd effectively be asking them to make Mordor gentler. It's just not gonna happen.

Retro

Did all of SAB tonight solo. This may actually be my favorite piece of content in the entire game. I can't wait to see what the Rapids and future worlds look like, and I can't believe this is a temporary thing they did for such a random holiday.

My birthday is in April, so if this rolls around every year about this time? I won't mind getting older in the slightest.

jersoc

Did all of SAB tonight solo. This may actually be my favorite piece of content in the entire game. I can't wait to see what the Rapids and future worlds look like, and I can't believe this is a temporary thing they did for such a random holiday.

My birthday is in April, so if this rolls around every year about this time? I won't mind getting older in the slightest.

it's sort of a shame that lots of good stuff they make we'll never see again. the hunger game type at the end of the open beta was a blast. i really hope this makes a return. imagine some guild v guild action in there.

Jira

it's sort of a shame that lots of good stuff they make we'll never see again. the hunger game type at the end of the open beta was a blast. i really hope this makes a return. imagine some guild v guild action in there.

SAB will be back in June at the earliest so it's not a once a year thing.

Retro

Like Jira said, it will be back. We've only seen World 1, and they can keep adding worlds as often as they like. I could even see holiday-themed Worlds. It's like Fractals; the platform is there for them to build as much as they want.

And yeah, I'd love to see the Hunger Royale come back as an activity. That's one thing that ArenaNet has pushed to the backburner that I wish they hadn't even though I know there's higher priority content. So far all we have is Kegbrawl, but there's supposed to be archery, shooting contests, bar brawls, golem battles... you can still see the shooting range in Divinity's Reach, it's just perpetually 'coming soon'.

I'd love to see them bring the Hunger Royale back with a neat twist that fits it into the world permanently. Can't really do an Asuran Lazer Tag theme (which would have been perfect) since that's too similar to the SAB. Maybe some crazy Charr re-enactment where everyone gets drunk, grabs a side of beef and beats each other up to commemorate some great victory, but for the players it's actually Hunger Royale. Hmm...

I'd love to see some kind of jousting activity added too. Something where you don't just hammer on hotkeys like WoW did, but actually ride down the aisle and have to aim your lance, shift your shield... stuff like that.

As a fan of GW1 I would really like to see more zones open up with these updates. I just want to see more of the world.

These holiday activities are fun but after I do them once I get bored of them.

Want more Flame and Frost like content that expands the world more. Love to see Maguma Waastes, Crystal Desert and so forth. New dungeons would be awesome aswell, or new paths for current dungeons.

Wow, what is with the hate on GW 2? I was just reading a couple of posts on the "should I get into Guild Wars 2" thread and although there are plenty of people defending it now, there are those people who are complaining about things that have been fixed.

they say there is no end game yet at level 80 I don't feel close to being finished with my first character. How many of these threads pop up weekly? This isn't the first that I have seen.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I know but slowly it is getting built up. Hope more things show up in Southsun Cove after this months update.
I expect a bit, but more substantial stuff to come in an update after the Flame and Frost arc ends.
Wow, what is with the hate on GW 2? I was just reading a couple of posts on the "should I get into Guild Wars 2" thread and although there are plenty of people defending it now, there are those people who are complaining about things that have been fixed.

they say there is no end game yet at level 80 I don't feel close to being finished with my first character. How many of these threads pop up weekly? This isn't the first that I have seen.
Oh yay a new thread! :'[ There really is a backlash with any sufficiently popular product on the Gaming side.

I actually think Log would really enjoy the game.

Complistic

You're a junior member so you probably haven't realized yet, but gaf hates everything.

Or that's what it will seem like.

It's pretty much par for the course for the GW2 threads or really.. just about any "should I buy X game?" thread that isn't about an absolute classic. For some reason people who don't like a game for whatever reason feel like they need to exaggerate it's flaws and convince everyone else that the game is bad to justify their own feelings. That then leads to people defending the game and of course they exaggerate as well in defense.

It would be nice to have level headed discussions about the benefits and flaws of games but unfortunately people playing the extremes always cause discussions to get out of hand. So, for the most part, the members of the GW2 community thread like to attempt to stay out of other threads to avoid the conflicts and resulting bans.

It's pretty much par for the course for the GW2 threads or really.. just about any "should I buy X game?" thread that isn't about an absolute classic. For some reason people who don't like a game for whatever reason feel like they need to exaggerate it's flaws and convince everyone else that the game is bad to justify their own feelings. That then leads to people defending the game and of course they exaggerate as well in defense.

It would be nice to have level headed discussions about the benefits and flaws of games but unfortunately people playing the extremes always cause discussions to get out of hand. So, for the most part, the members of the GW2 community thread like to attempt to stay out of other threads to avoid the conflicts and resulting bans.

I was just thinking that, if the whiners could provide reasonable complaints than people would listen, but to me personally it just sounds like a bunch of bitter people hating a game that is increasing in popularity...hmm oh well, back to SAB.

Trey

That thread's been pretty good, I think. Even drive-by "hater" posts are acknowledging it's good value for the price, and it just wasn't personally for them.

Edit: Mr Luchador is also expanding on his thoughts on the game, which is refreshing to see.

Levyne

Banned
I agree, that thread seems fine outside of pretending that we have a shared opinion in this community thread or that it's essentially a "3D model viewer"

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man. I think I may have started taking the art/environment design for granted, because I haven't really "thunk" on it in quite some time, but damn...

I was able to identify the zone and general area of every single one of Miktar's screenshots without hesitation. They're all so distinct and recognizable. The only one I can't lock down for sure is the beach/palm tree one. It has to be either Sparkfly or Bloodtide Coast. I'm hoping Sparkfly, because I don't have it fully explored whereas Bloodtide is my second-favorite zone and that would be embarrassing.
I agree, that thread seems fine outside of pretending that we have a shared opinion in this community thread or that it's essentially a "3D model viewer"
I have to be honest I don't even care how wrong that comment was, it was so goddamn silly I just have to stand and applaud.

docbon

There's literally nothing wrong with that thread besides a post or two. People may not like things that you like. This does not make them whiners.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
it has 3d graphics and a movable camera, slam dunk
The preview upgrades a couple months ago it ]has[/I] a model viewer in it, so... sure yeah why not, 2 points!
Yo. I don't even know what my favorite zone is. I guess I'll nail that down when I 100% WC an alt.
Mount Maelstrom with a bullet. Just about every type of ecosystem within one zone, and that's before even getting into the Infinity Coil, which houses my favorite dungeon. It was actually my favorite before I ever did the Mk. II Golem. Scrambling that thing's motherboard with an Environmental Cleaning Rifle is just icing on the cake.

edit: Yes I must concur, that thread is about to hit its second page and is generally filled with civility and good advice with only a little misinformation. Excelsior!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I am officially starting a movement to just call the PvP in this game PvP. There's PvE, WvW, and PvP. This sPvP/tPvP nonsense is both impractical to those that are active participants and confusing and intimidating for new players. The primary form of PvP, 5v5 quick tournaments, which is what people call tPvP (tournament PvP), uses all the same maps and mechanics as the 8v8 hot-join "sPvP," (structured PvP) yet is actually far more structured than sPvP and nothing like the traditional idea of a tournament. With paid tournaments ceasing to exist and the 8-team tournaments being disabled for the time being, it makes very little sense to have these dumb prefixes, as though it's helping distinguish the modes from the other areas of the game. PvE is where one or more players face off against the environment. WvW(vW) is where one world or server faces off against another. PvP is where individual players face off against each other.

To be frank, if your only experience with the PvP in this game is the 8v8 matches, especially if you hot-join in the middle of one, I can understand just fucking loathing the PvP in this game and never wanting to touch it again. I personally consider those matches to be way more of a clusterfuck than anything that happens in WvW. A majority of the maps are pretty clearly not designed for 16 players, and all semblance of balance or strategy is often thrown out the window within a couple minutes of joining. You can literally find yourself getting ganked in a 5v1 scenario while the other 3 players on the opposing team are busy camping each capture point. The idea was that there'd be more room for error with that many people, because you'd be 1/8 of the responsibility for your team rather than 1/5. But in practice it's not even a good way to learn the maps. People just run around ganking for XP and general evoking that attitude found in competitive gaming despite strategy barely even coming into play in those matches.

It's a lot more interesting to have to allocate the more limited resources afforded by a team of 5, with a team you joined up with intentionally, and some assurance that the team sizes won't change in the middle of the match. It's not an FFA deathmatch for Lyssa's sake.

The ironic thing is that at it's heart the PvP is actually good. :O The combat gets a chance to shine more than any other area of content. I've been really enjoying doing these tournaments a lot lately and it's definitely been my preffered way to get my laurel for the day at least 3 or 4 times since patch. I have a lot of fun even in losses unless it's a painful blowout (like a 250+ point differential), and I can tell I'm getting better.

I just wish I understood how often the map rotated a little more clearly, and that I liked them all a bit more equally. There are two I love, another one or two that I like a lot, plus a meh and one that I cannot stand. All of them use pretty radically different extra mechanics which you need to pay attention to, which is a great idea, but it results in a lot of "hit or miss" with the map design.

edit:
2-Team tournaments are single round tournaments that are played on a single map which changes on Tuesdays and Fridays
Oh. Kinda weird, but okay good to know!

So I am looking to start a second character and have landed on Mesmer.

Any idea on what build I should aim for? I don't really know where to begin.

Arcteryx

I am officially starting a movement to just call the PvP in this game PvP. There's PvE, WvW, and PvP. This sPvP/tPvP nonsense is both impractical to those that are active participants and confusing and intimidating for new players. The primary form of PvP, 5v5 quick tournaments, which is what people call tPvP (tournament PvP), uses all the same maps and mechanics as the 8v8 hot-join "sPvP," (structured PvP) yet is actually far more structured than sPvP and nothing like the traditional idea of a tournament. With paid tournaments ceasing to exist and the 8-team tournaments being disabled for the time being, it makes very little sense to have these dumb prefixes, as though it's helping distinguish the modes from the other areas of the game. PvE is where one or more players face off against the environment. WvW(vW) is where one world or server faces off against another. PvP is where individual players face off against each other.

To be frank, if your only experience with the PvP in this game is the 8v8 matches, especially if you hot-join in the middle of one, I can understand just fucking loathing the PvP in this game and never wanting to touch it again. I personally consider those matches to be way more of a clusterfuck than anything that happens in WvW. A majority of the maps are pretty clearly not designed for 16 players, and all semblance of balance or strategy is often thrown out the window within a couple minutes of joining. You can literally find yourself getting ganked in a 5v1 scenario while the other 3 players on the opposing team are busy camping each capture point. The idea was that there'd be more room for error with that many people, because you'd be 1/8 of the responsibility for your team rather than 1/5. But in practice it's not even a good way to learn the maps. People just run around ganking for XP and general evoking that attitude found in competitive gaming despite strategy barely even coming into play in those matches.

It's a lot more interesting to have to allocate the more limited resources afforded by a team of 5, with a team you joined up with intentionally, and some assurance that the team sizes won't change in the middle of the match. It's not an FFA deathmatch for Lyssa's sake.

The ironic thing is that at it's heart the PvP is actually good. :O The combat gets a chance to shine more than any other area of content. I've been really enjoying doing these tournaments a lot lately and it's definitely been my preffered way to get my laurel for the day at least 3 or 4 times since patch. I have a lot of fun even in losses unless it's a painful blowout (like a 250+ point differential), and I can tell I'm getting better.

I just wish I understood how often the map rotated a little more clearly, and that I liked them all a bit more equally. There are two I love, another one or two that I like a lot, plus a meh and one that I cannot stand. All of them use pretty radically different extra mechanics which you need to pay attention to, which is a great idea, but it results in a lot of "hit or miss" with the map design.

edit:
Oh. Kinda weird, but okay good to know!

Agreed on the map rotations. There are only a few that I enjoy and being "stuck" with them for an extended period is just...blagh. Really hoping they implement the random map soon.

As for s/tPvP: I really wish they would focus more on tournaments, as that is really the only "esport" part of the PvP currently. sPvP is just a complete clusterfuck and only serves as a jumping in point for new players or people wanting to quick test builds. tPvP, like you said, is actually quite fun and rewarding. It definitely needs some fixes(random maps, some way to get players to join mid-match so we don't have 3/4v5s, etc), but the core of it is great fun. And yea, after knocking out a few of the tournament titles(150 wins for a profession), you can definitely feel yourself getting a REALLY good grasp on the class. Really helps with theory crafting builds, WvW play, and even PvE to some extent.

mikeGFG

Banned

gaffers on the whole arent online game-players, and with that said I think MMOs do rub alot of the community the wrong way.

Those who are familiar with MMOs, or who are comfortable enough posting their thoughts on them have let World of Warcraft unfairly define every aspect of what an MMO is and isn't.

I think thats why you see a bunch of stuff in that thread like: "I got to level 7 and there was no endgame so I quit."

Im going to assume they were playing the game alone, and also expected the game to that comforting and repetitious MMO merry-go-round. Their loss.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I would go a little farther and say that the hot-join 8v8 matches (I'm not using sPvP and tPvP anymore dammit!) are not a good jumping in point for new players. As a new player I found it incredibly discouraging and didn't feel like I learned anything. I guess if you stuck with it and just made the best of it you would learn, but it just couldn't hold my interest that long, being such a chaotic mess. Nothing at all like an eSport, more like an open Half-Life Deathmatch server except even though nobody wants it to be, it's locked to team control point mode. It's good for getting quick glory from heartlessly killing people who don't know what they're doing, but that just makes me feel like part of the problem :p

Totally agree about the last part though, by the way. The skill ceiling for the combat in this game is much higher than it seems at first glance and honing your ability in tournaments is a really good way to get closer to it, even when you hop back into PvE. I know personally I've already made a sigil chance to one of my main PvE builds based on trying stuff out in the mists.

edit:

There's a comment in there about being forced to WvW. I saw that there's a WvW entry on the monthly, but with the choose your own monthlies not even that could be an issue. I wonder what that is referring to. Frankly I wouldn't mind being a little more "forced" to WvW than I am now, I just don't have time for it most nights with everything else I wanna do!

edit: Oh shit you guys are all over that. Sorry.

Arcteryx

I would go a little farther and say that the hot-join 8v8 matches (I'm not using sPvP and tPvP anymore dammit!) are not a good jumping in point for new players. As a new player I found it incredibly discouraging and didn't feel like I learned anything. I guess if you stuck with it and just made the best of it you would learn, but it just couldn't hold my interest that long, being such a chaotic mess. Nothing at all like an eSport, more like an open Half-Life Deathmatch server except even though nobody wants it to be, it's locked to team control point mode. It's good for getting quick glory from heartlessly killing people who don't know what they're doing, but that just makes me feel like part of the problem :p

Totally agree about the last part though, by the way. The skill ceiling for the combat in this game is much higher than it seems at first glance and honing your ability in tournaments is a really good way to get closer to it, even when you hop back into PvE. I know personally I've already made a sigil chance to one of my main PvE builds based on trying stuff out in the mists.

edit:

There's a comment in there about being forced to WvW. I saw that there's a WvW entry on the monthly, but with the choose your own monthlies not even that could be an issue. I wonder what that is referring to. Frankly I wouldn't mind being a little more "forced" to WvW than I am now, I just don't have time for it most nights with everything else I wanna do!

edit: Oh shit you guys are all over that. Sorry.
That's another thing I have issues with: glory. There are a fair amount of people who just join s/tPvP to farm it. Granted, while this isn't any different than people in CoD domination gametypes just whoring kills, it still ends up being quite frustrating for other players in tournaments when they are focused on winning(for titles).

This is why a lot of people just plain never liked the 8v8 when it was put in for launch. It's hectic, allows for point zerging to be effective and generally throws the balance of the entire game mode out of whack. The maps were built for 5v5 and the Control Point system works best in a 5v5 setting. The intent was to allow more players on the map so that new players wouldn't effect the outcome of the matches so drastically (in the beta weekends there were a lot of games that ended up being incredibly one sided due to players skill levels being all over the spectrum).. but in the end one sided matches where players have a chance to actually fight feel better than closer matches that trivialize CP and turn it into a DM game primarily. If they were to switch that back, I think a lot more people would be enjoy hotjoin and thus seek to form tourney teams. And in a 5v5 hotjoin players could actually practice strats and builds in a tourney relevant format.

Making it 8v8 really ruined the public side of PvP and it's hard to gain followers if the public side of the game is discouraging.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The thing is, you can queue up solo (or in a party of any size, 5 or otherwise) for the tourneys now. I believe that doing so is a much better way to learn the maps and get better as a player than jumping into hot join, even if every so often you'll earn the ire of a "l2pNOOB" srs bsns pro. IMO quick tournaments should be the public side of PvP, and my instincts are telling me that spectator mode will enable exactly this. Hot join should be the casual, "anything goes" side of PvP. Aka the "I will pretend it doesn't exist" side of PvP.

The thing is, you can queue up solo (or in a party of any size, 5 or otherwise) for the tourneys now. I believe that doing so is a much better way to learn the maps and get better as a player than jumping into hot join, even if every so often you'll earn the ire of a "l2pNOOB" srs bsns pro. IMO quick tournaments should be the public side of PvP, and my instincts are telling me that spectator mode will enable exactly this. Hot join should be the casual, "anything goes" side of PvP. Aka the "I will pretend it doesn't exist" side of PvP.

I understand that's the goal but it just makes things more complicated for no real reason. Those who played the game previously for PvP but stopped or those who are only familiar with the terminology as it was advertised originally and launched will tend to shy away from Tourney's just because it's still Tourneys. Hotjoin was the defacto not srs bsns mode and by altering tourneys and leaving Hotjoins the way they are it becomes even more confusing. This is bad for the PvP side moreso than the PvE side because generally there are less people to help in the Mists and the tutorial NPC's don't explain this stuff correctly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's all accurate. PvP in this game is a building under construction with an arcade on the top floor... there's scaffolding everywhere and it's not altogether apparent how to get in, but once you figure it out and pardon the dust it's a blast.

It needs lots of work, but the way ArenaNet has divided its resources (I'm going to flesh these thoughts out a bit later, because I keep seeing saddening misinformation pop up) means that every aspect of the company, and that doesn't exclude the PvP team, is keyed toward making things great long-term rather than making things better short-term. This can be incredibly frustrating when it's your pet style of play (or class, or glitchy event) that isn't getting any love when there's a release by the teams that do have content or features ready. But given the time it needs, I truly believe PvP in this game will be something special, for players of any skill level to try.

edit: BTW, the SAB inspired me to watch the 8-bit episode of Community before bed last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom