• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
Tried the box and ... WOW is this annoying.

Not only is it covered in jumping puzzles (which I suck at. This game is super fun but the logic behind these puzzles is beyond me ...) but it's also laggy as hell for me.

Looks like there will be no awesome Skins for me :[

I am (Cause of friends as well).

No big deal, just pop into the SB server when you wanna Gaf it up.

me too >.<

I'm staying out of the "Other Thread" since I'm sure I'll act as a lightning rod for the haters and you guys already have it well in hand. I'm sick anyways, and the worst of the comments are so laughably disingenuous that anyone can see right through them.

Why be this guy? You're a grown man, yet you act like someone much younger who only values their own opinion and acts as if anything different is beneath them. It devalues anything you write, it only promotes a 'closed shop' discussion (ala Rule #2 of GAF Guild - No Negative talk about GW2 in Guild Chat). I don't get it, and you seem to only inspire others to act this way too (given your 'status' within GAF's Guild).

I have no issue with people enjoying the game, I actually enjoy it, however, I don't appreciate, or admire the way the snide comments are being thrown around in this thread about people expressing their own opinion on the game when it differs from your own.

jersoc

Why be this guy? You're a grown man, yet you act like someone much younger who only values their own opinion and acts as if anything different is beneath them. It devalues anything you write, it only promotes a 'closed shop' discussion (ala Rule #2 of GAF Guild - No Negative talk about GW2 in Guild Chat). I don't get it, and you seem to only inspire others to act this way too (given your 'status' within GAF's Guild).

I have no issue with people enjoying the game, I actually enjoy it, however, I don't appreciate, or admire the way the snide comments are being thrown around in this thread about people expressing their own opinion on the game when it differs from your own.

yeah, there's stuff the game does right, but also wrong.

i remember when i was making a big deal how broken culling was in wvw and lots of people just brushed it off saying it's not a problem. well look now...
and they also a sort of comeback method too to help a side that's losing. and the reward system is a nice start to something that hopefully gets bigger.

a lack of lfg in game is a huge wtf too. it's so bad we need to use a 3rd party website. that's when a dev needs to take a long hard look at their stance.

they do at least release contest timely and it's been pretty good too. not since AC1 has a MMO actually released fairly big updates like they do.

there is a difference between whining and having real complaints, unfortunately sometimes people think the two are the same. i haven't read that thread and i'm sure people are whining, but there's probably real complaints with that too.

yeah, there's stuff the game does right, but also wrong.

i remember when i was making a big deal how broken culling was in wvw and lots of people just brushed it off saying it's not a problem. well look now...
and they also a sort of comeback method too to help a side that's losing. and the reward system is a nice start to something that hopefully gets bigger.

a lack of lfg in game is a huge wtf too. it's so bad we need to use a 3rd party website. that's when a dev needs to take a long hard look at their stance.

they do at least release contest timely and it's been pretty good too. not since AC1 has a MMO actually released fairly big updates like they do.

there is a difference between whining and having real complaints, unfortunately sometimes people think the two are the same. i haven't read that thread and i'm sure people are whining, but there's probably real complaints with that too.

It's not actually a bad thread at all. People have said pretty much the same thing, some more detailed then others, but most of it comes back to:

"Buy it cheap, play at own pace, explore, and avoid burning yourself out.", which I think is fair advice to anyone curious about the game.

Tried PvP with Hawkian and irfaanator last night it was a lot of fun and finished the daily in 3 matches!

Probably will do that every night that I play.

Omg I can't believe you spent 100 laurels on a useless mini pet.

hythloday

I got some hot insider info that today is Retro's birthday!

Happy birthday!

If I played more I would get Chauncey too, but I am trying to hoard for an ascended thing.

Retro

Well haven't booted up GW2 since Halloween, but Super Adventure Box has pulled me back.

It's genuinely amazing how many people are coming back because of the SAB, I didn't think something like this would receive such a reaction but it seems to be a dog whistle for anyone gaming in the 80s and 90s.

I mean, there are indie games that play up the retro aesthetic and there are occasional references/in-jokes, but I don't think anyone has ever managed just soak it all up the nostalgia and create a sort of playable homage... at least none that have done it justice.

Everything from the music and sounds (it's hard to tell whether the jump sound is an homage to Mario or Sonic, it seems like both) to the visuals and rewards is just dripping with that late 80s/early 90s gaming aesthetic. I'm really looking forward to seeing what else they reference in future updates.

I'm sorry for you guys experiencing lag in there, it really is pretty cool and I hope the issue is worked out before he end of the month.

I got some hot insider info that today is Retro's birthday!

Happy birthday!

Happy Birthday Retro!

Thanks, and thanks in advance for any future birthday wishes. Sorry I haven't been on much, I'm still getting over an upper respiratory infection. I'll be back to annoying you guys as soon as I'm able.

It's genuinely amazing how many people are coming back because of the SAB, I didn't think something like this would receive such a reaction but it seems to be a dog whistle for anyone gaming in the 80s and 90s.

I mean, there are indie games that play up the retro aesthetic and there are occasional references/in-jokes, but I don't think anyone has ever managed just soak it all up the nostalgia and create a sort of playable homage... at least none that have done it justice.

Everything from the music and sounds (it's hard to tell whether the jump sound is an homage to Mario or Sonic, it seems like both) to the visuals and rewards is just dripping with that late 80s/early 90s gaming aesthetic. I'm really looking forward to seeing what else they reference in future updates.

I'm sorry for you guys experiencing lag in there, it really is pretty cool and I hope the issue is worked out before he end of the month.

Thanks, and thanks in advance for any future birthday wishes. Sorry I haven't been on much, I'm still getting over an upper respiratory infection. I'll be back to annoying you guys as soon as I'm able.

Pah, old man issues. I'm going to hit up SAB tonight for the first time, hopefully it'll be fun and whatnot.

Ended up getting 50 baubles from those random chests as they just kept spawning for a while.

Retro

Pah, old man issues. I'm going to hit up SAB tonight for the first time, hopefully it'll be fun and whatnot.

Yeah, I'll definitely go through it with you. Since you haven't seen it before, it'll be great to hear your reaction. Just make sure the sound / music are on. I'll also hang back a bit and not lead the way / spoil stuff for you. That's half the fun.

Retro

noted. probably too late now as life is likely keeping me away from SAB until the next time it shows up:( i have the main game music off completely and didn't even think to turn it back on for this. bah.

Yikes, hope the month calms down a little for you, then. I'm sure it will be back around soon enough, it seems like something they'll bring out for any holiday that doesn't really have a preconceived theme (i.e. Halloween, Christmas, etc). Plus, based just on what we've seen with our own guild, people are coming back in droves to try it (switched half a dozen people from "Member" to "Playing" rank yesterday and added a couple new people too). If the same thing is happening game wide, I'd bet a bunch of bauble bubbles they'll bring it back briskly.

As to the music... yeah, I've turned it down a few times too. Soule's soundtrack is great, but we're going on month 8 here, so... yeah.

XaosWolf

Oh don't get me wrong, I love GW2, but my Elementalist just isn't what he used to be and that gradually killed off the fun I was having with the game.

The events are great though, though a pain in the ass due to the last major one being basically a weekend. But I have fond memories of all the Clocktower camaraderie. =D

You know, just because someone is making constructive critism, which is okay, it doesn't mean that the community will want to discuss that.

you can be right and still not be interesting or in the sphere of change. I like it when people post something worthwhile. I dont need to discuss curling as everyone knows its a problem including the developers. we know the technical limitations.

I dont think that makes for a snide community just because they want to focus on their enjoyment and the things in life they have control over. Learning to let go of high expectations have been essential for me in enjoying MMOs.

it's as good as it is. That's it.

change it, play something else, make your own. why would I want to listen to you be negative? you can highlight something in frustration, you can say something constructive, but have some consideration for the people who have to read what you say.
GW2 sucks in some ways. but even the best of games sucks in some ways. and with the wrong mindset everything sucks in life if you expect greatness in everything.

In a lot of these threads, regardless of stance on a game, they value often seems to come from people who have something meaningful to post. And thats the problem. Because most people who have something negative to report, are just saying rehashed stuff that has already been debated, and it doesnt help towards change. its just personal frustration that we somehow have to witness.

So my census is that most negativity-nancys are selfish and not in the interest of other people reading their stuff, but just in their own self absorbed needs to vent out. Im guilty of this too, in some OT threads.

But we should all strive to censur ourseleves towards being more in control over the things we say.

Because mood is affectious. and as such writing a cool positive story or experience feels more worthwhile for more people, and it sells the game for lurkers who read the last page of an OT(which I suspect many people base their game purchases on). so positive, good-vibe posts get off the hook more easily. its nice to read happy posts regardless of content.

but it always sucks to read pointless posts, particularly if its already beaten to death. But some negative posts are great. particularly when something new and inviting and potentially change-able is broad to light. or misunderstanding-ish.

But those threads are also for the community, and not the self absorbed.

oktarb

You want to feel better about life? About Guild Wars 2? Go play Defiance. Think of plain yogurt and then make it more boring, that's Defiance.

Guild Wars 2 is a full breakfast: Fluffy pancakes, crispy bacon, a small omelette filled with perfectly gooey cheese - avocado and tomatoes, freshly squeezed orange juice. now pour syrup over you pancakes and may-hap some on your bacon... may-hap. One or two angelic squares of butter and breakfast is served.

...or boring, plain yogurt and you have to eat it with a butter knife while a child punches you in the groin repeatedly.

oktarb

What is Defiance? Seen it pop up on Steam for a few friends, surprised it's off my radar...

MMO tied into a Sci-Fi channel TV show. Post apocalyptic San Francisco with aliens. Made by the same team that did Rift.

You run around with guns and shoot things in third person. No classes, everyone shares the same skill grid. If you want to heal you get a healing gun. Otherwise its all pew pew and driving around in your mad max car.

There's just no depth. They cranked this one out straight through a marketers ass.

Retro

You want to feel better about life? About Guild Wars 2? Go play Defiance. Think of plain yogurt and then make it more boring, that's Defiance.

Guild Wars 2 is a full breakfast: Fluffy pancakes, crispy bacon, a small omelette filled with perfectly gooey cheese - avocado and tomatoes, freshly squeezed orange juice. now pour syrup over you pancakes and may-hap some on your bacon... may-hap. One or two angelic squares of butter and breakfast is served.

...or boring, plain yogurt and you have to eat it with a butter knife while a child punches you in the groin repeatedly.

The mixture of emotions this post generates is disconcerting.
I want to laugh at the imagery of eating yogurt with a butter knife but I'm also thinking about getting socked in the nads.
I'm sad that Trion is going to lose money on this (Rift had a solid launch and their post-launch support is excellent) but happy that SyFy is too (it never sat well with me when they changed the name)...
And over all of that, I'm also hungry at your vivid description of breakfast, but I just ate.

tumblr_mai0r8hlpm1qcx91yo6.gif

WHAT IS GOING ON!?

oktarb

Every new MMO I try these days just makes me come back to GW2. I wish they had done a better job, Trion is a solid company but Defiance is such a transparent marketing turd. Maybe it will be better but man its bad right now.

My only complaint about GW2 is all the odd ball currencies they have. I get so lost, I wish there was a guild wars euro. So no matter what I was doing I could be earning Gweuro's for whatever my goal was.

Einbroch

Banned
My major issue is that I have no idea where to begin when I hit the max level. Everything seems so overwhelming and there's no in-game direction about what to do.

I leveled to max on my Mesmer and now I'm rerolling Thief because I have no clue what to do.

Levyne

Banned
The first thing that I wanted to do when hitting 80 was try out the dungeon paths. I wanted to find teams to beat every pve challenge that anet had prepared for me in the various paths.

Outside of that I kinda just keep tabs on what the guild is up to. If we are doing bounties I love helping out even if I am already rewarded for the week. One of my recent favorite (and lucrative) activities is flipping Orr temples.

oktarb

My major issue is that I have no idea where to begin when I hit the max level. Everything seems so overwhelming and there's no in-game direction about what to do.

I leveled to max on my Mesmer and now I'm rerolling Thief because I have no clue what to do.

I decided to shoot for a Frostfang axe. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Frostfang

Basically it requesres a whole slew of things and you can just start attacking those one at a time while also world exploring. Anyway that's my current goal.

I have yet to run a single dungeon event to there's that but since I don't use voice that somewhat limits me.

Levyne

Banned
Eh, I use voice maybe 5% of the time in dungeons, it is by far not needed and the guild simply does not care if you don't. It's such a non-issue that calling it a non-issue is almost giving it too much weight.

Defiance really isn't that bad. It plays like a scaled down Borderlands. It's also a B2P game so it will have legs. The tv show has received fairly solid praise by those who've seen it so if that does well it will likely bring in more buyers for the game. It's far from doomed though the mountain it has to climb to become profitable is supposedly pretty damn high.

Anywho... I'm so damn torn in GW2 it's rediculous. There really is too much to do. I want to WvW for badges, karma, and cash.. but I also need to do events for more ectos... but I need to farm ore for my 4th profession... but I need to play more SAB for skins... And all of this with what feels like so little time to actually play. Damn you Anet!

Lunar15

I hear this issue a lot. So much so that I feel it needs addressing by Anet. Personally, I didn't even find the game that fun UNTIL I hit 80, but I constantly hear "oh, I hit 80 and felt the game was over."

How is it in other MMO's? What happens when you hit a level cap in say, WoW? I honestly have no idea. All I know is that lack of direction at 80 seems to be a major stopping point for many players when it absolutely SHOULDN'T be.

The guild helped to focus me on what was going on any given time, and it's always great to help out. Other than that, it's about getting your dungeon armor and building up what sets you want, and then exploring fractals and going up that chain. If you don't have a goal you want to focus on, say a certain build you're aiming for, it's tougher to know what you want at 80. I think the game does a poor job of setting up the transition between the "Leveling" portion of the game and the "80" portion. They honestly seem like two different games. Part of me wonders what the game would be like if you eliminated leveling entirely. I mean, why not, right? If that's where most people spend their time, why even have the initial section at all? I feel like it potentially (key word here) keeps people from experiencing the most the game can offer. There's no sub here, no need to pad out an introduction.

Just rambling though. I'm not an MMO gamer, so I have no idea why a lot of conventions exist in the first place.

Also: Part of me wonders if changing the layout of the main hub (Lion's Arch) to lay out your options better would help. Everything's just kind of in random places, where I wonder if you pointed things out a little better, people could have a better idea of where they should be going at certain levels.

I hear this issue a lot. So much so that I feel it needs addressing by Anet. Personally, I didn't even find the game that fun UNTIL I hit 80, but I constantly hear "oh, I hit 80 and felt the game was over."

How is it in other MMO's? What happens when you hit a level cap in say, WoW? I honestly have no idea. All I know is that lack of direction at 80 seems to be a major stopping point for many players when it absolutely SHOULDN'T be.

The game's story and level specific quests guide you towards 'end game'.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

First off, excellent class choices *nod*

There absolutely is no in-game direction as to what to do. It's very nearly a sandbox at 80 in terms of how much of what type of content you experience in what order.

We could definitely rattle off a list of "stuff to do" that would likely be just as overwhelming as the experience, but maybe it would be better to start here: what would you like to do?

Are you interested in getting cooler-looking weapons and armor or other aesthetic goals?
More interested in achieving absolute best-in-slot items or amassing gold?
Are you looking more for a test of combat skill in PvE?
Are you interested in side- or hidden content in the world, such as secrets and jumping puzzles?
Are you interested in massive-scale territory battles (WvW) where you could run with either a huge group for main objectives or help out with a smaller, nimble group?
General exploration/world completion?
Or smaller scale individual-map PvP?

It's definitely a good (almost necessary) idea to set a goal for yourself, and then start along that path. My issue is that I keep getting distracted by other stuff I want to do, and ending up making piecemeal progress toward everything as I play rather than "grinding something out" all at once.

But yeah, deciding what you want out of the experience of playing is your first step. There's no right or wrong way to do it.

Trey

I got my first 80 during the Halloween mad king event. I celebrated by running that for about four more hours.

Got a little more swag to my style compared to back then.

Do what you want. Your major issue is why I like GW2 so much. Full autonomy.

xeris

The game's story and level specific quests guide you towards 'end game'.

Which in most MMO's is a linear progression or pretty near. Ok, you've hit 80 so now we send you with quests to Dungeon A so you can gear for Dungeon B so you can gear for Raid A so you can grind that for Raid B.

Well in WoW, if you read the quest descriptions they usually point you to whatever Dungeons are precusors to the Raids and then to the Raids themselves. However most people don't read the quest text and just ask and people tell them to gear up for Raids. You can do the same thing in GW2 but you're just not directed there by the Personal Story stuff which is where I think most people are getting confused.

In a lot of MMO's the story that the player takes part in is directly tied to whatever the "endgame" activity is at the the time. The player's purpose is to fulfill this role in the endgame. With GW2, they want the world to feel more like an actual world in the sense that not everyone is on the same mission at the same time and there are other conflicts throughout. This is really shown well by Frost and Flame since it's a threat to the Charr and Norn but it's not viewed as the "important" threat and thus largely ignored while the world focuses on The Risen as well as the other dragons and their minions.

Which in most MMO's is a linear progression or pretty near. Ok, you've hit 80 so now we send you with quests to Dungeon A so you can gear for Dungeon B so you can gear for Raid A so you can grind that for Raid B.

Each design has it's merits, but the only thing I'm interested in is if the design is executed well. I think for WoW the linear experience worked well as the story it told carried the progression and it all made sense.

In GW2 I'm not entirely sure the open sandbox works in regards to the story telling, as you 'miss' parts simply because you can do whatever you want, wherever you want, almost whenever you want. You can go back and finish your personally story at 80, even though you've seen various parts of the game and sort of 'know' what might happen.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This is really shown well by Frost and Flame since it's a threat to the Charr and Norn but it's not viewed as the "important" threat and thus largely ignored while the world focuses on The Risen as well as the other dragons and their minions.
Or wasting hundreds of hours playing an "educational" game in Rata Sum. Rytlock must be pretty pissed at Moto at the moment. Like when department stores would have huge sales taking up column inches in the paper when the rest of the world was trying to get the U.S. to intervene in WW2. :p

Or wasting hundreds of hours playing an "educational" game in Rata Sum. Rytlock must be pretty pissed at Moto at the moment. Like when department stores would have huge sales taking up column inches in the paper when the rest of the world was trying to get the U.S. to intervene in WW2. :p

Well to be fair, he at least kept the box to Rata Sum.. where most of the Asura are the Q Branch to The Pact's MI6 (just watched Skyfall last night.. can you tell?).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
In GW2 I'm not entirely sure the open sandbox works in regards to the story telling, as you 'miss' parts simply because you can do whatever you want, wherever you want, almost whenever you want. You can go back and finish your personally story at 80, even though you've seen various parts of the game and sort of 'know' what might happen.
That's totally valid. In my case I witnessed the "ending of the game" well before reaching it plot-wise in my own personal story. I honestly still have a few quests to go in mine even now.

Truly, the personal story is ironically the weakest aspect of the storytelling in the game. The good stuff all comes from investigating and piecing together the lore of the area you're in and how it relates to the rest of the world; there's an immense richness and attention to detail almost everywhere you're given access to as a player, but you have to work for it. Talk to scouts and NPCs even if they have no shiny icon above their heads, explore and go "there" anytime you think "I wonder if I can get there."

At its best, it's far less a linear story than the personal story quests will lead you through, but it's all there, and pretty compelling if you seek it out. It's like a mosaic you fill in patches of here and there and slowly get an understanding of the big picture, rather than a straight line with plot points along the way.

Of course, some aren't even interested in lore, plot, or story arcs at all, so it's almost a boon for that type of player.

Trey

I'm still in the seventies of my personal story and have no intention on it. Way more fun to level up alts of various races and backgrounds before the game funnels everyone into the overarching storyline at Trinity Fort.

When Anet introduces player housing/instances and whatnot, then we'll talk.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah I loved the Missions in GW1. I replayed things like Thunderhead Keep and Ring of Fire because they were actually fun.

Personal story is pretty much..garbage.

Lunar15

This is the problem I'm talking about. The personal story isn't great, however it's the "main attraction" for new players who are in the middle of leveling. Sure, you don't have to do personal story, but it was sold as a main point of the game and ultimately underwhelms.

I feel like most of the complaints I get from people are those that either are working towards 80 on their first character or have hit 80 and are too overwhelmed to do anything else. As a game designer, I'd definitely work on those two areas. It's the reason a lot of us are in here, reading threads on the main board going "what are they talking about?". There's a disconnect there.

It's not so much an issue that I have with the game as much as it is me rambling about MMO design in general.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The missions in GW1 themselves were fun and replayable in a gameplay sense, but I totally think that would be the case for the PS quests in this game if they were simply replayable at all. The really fun ones would float to the top, but we just don't have the option of experiencing them successfully more than once.

In terms of story (i.e.: the universal plot) though I think GW1 is given way too much credit. Prophecies in particular was kind of just bad. It started out so promisingly, hooked me with the Searing and then fleeing Ascalon with Rurik, but then it's like... any resemblance to the previous aspects of the storyline is tossed out the window and you follow new characters totally unrelated to the first part of the quest. I liked the cutscenes better, though, which is embarrasing enough. Still, the good story (which was there) was uncovered exactly the same way in that game: talking to ancillary characters, piecing things together, understanding how certain areas fit into the larger world. Actually, the locales that are the same place 250 years later (the Temple of the Ages is the one that immediately comes to mind) except now existing in a persistent open world, are some of the coolest parts of the lore, but nothing really even calls attention to them except your own interest.

Aside, using /wiki when you see a named object or landmark you don't understand can be very rewarding if you're not familiar with the overarching lore.

birdchili

honestly the story and lore in-general aren't compelling to me *at all* (the personal story is dreadful, frankly).

Tyria is a good place to explore though - pretty and actual stuff to find in the nooks and crannies. i'm sympathetic to folk who feel that everything feels a bit disjointed, but it doesn't ruin the experience for me (i'd prefer it felt more like a consistent world, but... eh). best to ignore your map and just look around for the best experience.

at 80 i've been working on a decent gearset, and will make a treasure-find set once i have my first "damage" set together. then i'll probably work on a condition damage set so i can test some builds that i can't really compare properly right now since my condition gear is so crap. i've got my eye on a fancy dagger, so just earning money doing whatever strikes my fancy is always getting me closer to that (and i'm not in a rush).

i 3-manned my first two dungeons in the past month or so... very fun, and i wish there were a *ton* more areas in the open-world that had that kind of difficulty level (every now-and-then you run into an actually challenging event, but it's too rare).

someday (once some more of my rl friends are 80), i'll finish the last quest of my personal story - not because i want to see how it ends, but because i want that stupid quest removed from my interface:)

re-rolling as a thief seems like an excellent thing to do at 80 as well (assuming you didn't make the right choice the first time).

Retro

My only complaint about GW2 is all the odd ball currencies they have. I get so lost, I wish there was a guild wars euro. So no matter what I was doing I could be earning Gweuro's for whatever my goal was.

I'm beginning to suspect that the reason we haven't seen them fully implement ("Deposit collectable" is an option, but greyed out) a collectables tab for dungeon tokens is that they're working on an alternative, maybe even a universal dungeon token or something similar. It's one of the things I always ask about when we talk to a dev (that, and when the Mini Trios are coming).

It's definitely an area where they could improve it without undermining their intent; they want there to be a variety of currencies so there's a variety of ways to progress at different speed/levels of play, but dungeon tokens really feel bloated. Next time we chat with a dev I'll make sure to mention Gweuros. Might need to work on that name though.

I think this is a reoccurring problem not because Arenanet doesn't put in breadcrumbs or (as others point out incorrectly, loudly and often) that there is no endgame, but that people just expect the game to change or introduce something new at max level. What you've done from 0-79 is the same thing you do at 80; the doors are just completely open. With the exception of Orr's heart-free/event-heavy elements, there's really nothing you can't experience before the higher levels.

Dungeons, Fractals, WvW, PVP, Exploration (jumping puzzles, zone completion), Guild Missions, cosmetic gear hunting (working on a legendary), seasonal stuff/activities... that's all stuff you do leveling up and that's the same stuff you do at max level. If none of those things are fun and you don't want to roll an alt (which can drastically increase the fun level, obviously, if the new profession is something you really fall in love with), you're not losing anything by not playing. You don't fall behind everyone else because there's no gear grind and you're not paying a monthly fee, so missing a month (or two or three...) until something you do like is added is fine.

All of these folks coming back for the Super Adventure Box are playing it just as correctly as the guys who have been playing every day since launch. It's the freedom of choice and freedom from the guilt of 'wasting a sub' or 'falling behind your friends' that makes GW2 what it is.

For what it's worth, Guild Missions feel a bit raiding, but without the headaches associated with fighting for raid slots, dealing with trash and raid schedules. We all get on, start a bounty or trek and off we go, working together as a whole to track down some baddies and stomp them into the ground for loot. That's not even 'endgame' though either, but it certainly helps since a lot of the zones are high level.

I have yet to run a single dungeon event to there's that but since I don't use voice that somewhat limits me.

I'll echo what Khold said. Mumble really isn't required, but it certainly makes it easier even if you're just there to listen. But it's no where near mandatory and I've never been in a group that treated it like it was. I did CoF1 last night and nobody from my group was in there. We did just fine.

But we do have a mumble server for people who want to use it. It comes in handy during guild bounties, but even then I think a lot of people don't use it.

Back when I started playing WoW, PVE was basially 60 > Dungeons until you're geared for > raids until you're geared so you can > wait for the next raid.

Then they changed it to 70 > Dungeons until you're geared for > Heroics until you're geared for > 20 man raids until you're geared for > 40 man raids so you can > wait for next raid. Then they changed it to 80 > dungeons > Heroics > 20 man raids > 20 man Heroics > wait for more. Even if you're at the top of the game, there's a gear reset at the next expansion so you're basically trashing your old loot constantly, as soon as new stuff becomes available your goal is to replace it so when the next reset comes along you're not under-geared for it.

From what I've heard now that there's a highly automated dungeon/raid finder (when I stopped playing they only had dungeon finder), you basically hit 80, turn on the dungeon finder to get plopped into a group with 4 strangers to get loot until your item score says you can do raids (yes, it actually won't let you queue until you have a score determined by your gear), then you use the raid finder to get plopped into a group with 19 strangers, presumably to get loot so you can wait for more raids to be added. Of course, there's battlegrounds and dailies to farm and such in the interim, but my personal opinion of WoW, once the magic wore off, was that you spend a lot of time waiting for something new, devour it as quickly as possible and wait months or even a year for more.

But that kind of thing isn't unique to Guild Wars 2. In WoW, for example, players still experience the original plotline of The Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King as if future events haven't transpired there either. Cataclysm took care of the Vanilla content, but you still have the whole "Deathwing is wrecking everything" from 0-60, then you completely ignore that to deal with The Burning Crusade in Outland even though story-wise Kael'Thas, Illidan and Kil'jaeden are long since dealt with. Likewise, you still bump into Arthas' canned villain appearances throughout Northrend even though he's dead and replaced by Bolvar Foredragon. When that's over you go right back to fighting Deathwing, who by Pandaria is supposed to be dead too.

It's a symptom of content advancing forward without being updated. I think the reason ArenaNet hasn't expanded outward into new zones (even though that's logically where they should be adding content) and is so bent on the "Living Story" is because they realize this sort of thing happens and they want to fix it. I think their end goal is to have the world constantly changing based on current events. So far it hasn't impressed, but I feel like they're just getting started with it.

oktarb

Good to hear on the voice. Now I really will pester you guys to guide me around some :D. Coming from EVE where voice is mandatory you you literally have to go through a recorded interview process to join a corp I enjoy a game where chat is accepted. Its just more relaxing. That and my daughter goes batshit anytime I put on head phones or clip my toe nails. Finger clippings are fine. Kids are weird.

Retro/Hawkian - you guys are truly impressive in your well thought out and even-handed responses here. A true representation of what Gaf is at the heart of the community.

Plus how can you not play a warrior that looks like this!?

Gar.jpg

Retro

Good to hear on the voice. Now I really will pester you guys to guide me around some :D. Coming from EVE where voice is mandatory you you literally have to go through a recorded interview process to join a corp I enjoy a game where chat is accepted. Its just more relaxing. That and my daughter goes batshit anytime I put on head phones or clip my toe nails. Finger clippings are fine. Kids are weird.

Honestly, Mumble is more of a convenience thing, there for people if they want to use it for dungeons, coordinate in PVP/WvW (where communication is especially important and there's no time to type) or really, just to hang out. You'll usually find the usual suspects hanging out in the General Chat rooms.

Also, DID YOU KNOW: Kids can also be used to farm crafting materials, in-game currencies or gold. Remember, it's not child labor if they're just playing a video game!*

Retro/Hawkian - you guys are truly impressive in your well thought out and even-handed responses here. A true representation of what Gaf is at the heart of the community.

We actually had to go through an extensive, month-long interpersonal communications program when we were hired on at ArenaNet, which made the rigorous re-programming and invasive surgery seem like a cakewalk. After 4 weeks of hearing people blather on, I was about ready to give myself a lobotomy!

*Not true. Seriously, you could go to prison. And not the soft, white collar kind, the scary, poorly-lit kind where they only stop raping you to beat you.

I personally think that a universal dungeon token would be best, with the caveat that you can't buy specific dungeon gear until you've completed each path of that dungeon.

All I know is that lack of direction at 80 seems to be a major stopping point for many players when it absolutely SHOULDN'T be.
I can see your point.

For ME it's more "I want to use my level 80 to generate support cash and supplies for my alts that are in classes I fond out I favor far more than my level 80 ele ... but IDK how to get massive amounts of gold". I also want tons of cool armor sets and dyes for all my characters (my level 80 ele looks like a novice ...)

That's the main reason I wanted to do the BOX but it's far too laggy and I HATE jumping puzzles (as I have said before in this thread). So I don't see myself getting or selling any skins.

The best advice I have gotten was to run the "Orr" place's string of events ... but that place is a ghost town and I can't do anything solo there because I'm always running away :/
I need to find a decently sized group to run that area with I guess.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You saw my post on earning gold?

Really you should just do the various world bosses for rares and either salvage or sell everything you get, and if you really want to max out cash flow to your alts as rapidly as possible throw some COF1 in there. Is your connection stable enough for dungeons?

Orr is good money, but if you can't solo it (there are builds that can) you should run with GAF! We took Dwayna and Melandru last night.

Trey

I gotta say, thinking about how much I don't care for personal story, I respect Anet's decision to go for a "Living Story" that much more. GW2 is way more fun in its world content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom