• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdchili

I gotta say, thinking about how much I don't care for personal story, I respect Anet's decision to go for a "Living Story" that much more. GW2 is way more fun in its world content.
yup... though i haven't been sucked into the Living Story stuff either so-far.

i hope we see an increase in event density and more of that: "this place is bad and i probably shouldn't be here right now (but... i bet the loot is great)" stuff that i love in a well-designed open-world rpg. let people get in over their heads more often in pve. having some stuff that happens in the low-level zones occasionally that low-level players should probably stay away from is probably against their design philosophy, but would make getting "40 NewbLand kills" in your daily something other than the most dull thing ever for an 80 (ok... daily crafter is probably worse:).

You saw my post on earning gold?

Really you should just do the various world bosses for rares and either salvage or sell everything you get, and if you really want to max out cash flow to your alts as rapidly as possible throw some COF1 in there. Is your connection stable enough for dungeons?

Orr is good money, but if you can't solo it (there are builds that can) you should run with GAF! We took Dwayna and Melandru last night.

Oooh, that post? Yeah, I remember it, shall re-read!

And yeah, my connection is good in dungeons. I was in your party over the weekend doing story mode for the first time and I didn't have any problems then. Not sure wtf is up with the box though ... nerve busting lag there.

Would be great to run with gaf! Should I try to get to a decent WP first? haven't been able to get anywhere near "far" in that area. Tried to get more WPs there and somehow ran in a huge circle :/

birdchili

If the sonic periscopes are any indication it isn't exactly against their design philosophy just yet.
true, true. those fights are pretty great if you get a bunch of normals and a vet in addition to the periscope (best part of the Living Story changes so-far).

birdchili

Huh. I thought the periscopes were kinda dumb
they're a constant must-deal-with threat that provides an ongoing hazard since the local flame-dudes retreat back to it if you try and lead them away.

i haven't done a lot of dungeons, and i expect there's more of this there, but there are very few environmental objects of significant note (excluding cliffs/drops) in the main maps - i wish there were more (stuff like cannons/trebs act almost exactly like an enemy mage - the sonic periscopes require you to be more observant).

Retro

So apparently I share a birthday with Heath Ledger, Robert Downey Jr. and, I shit you not, The Grumpy Cat.

bhby7cwcqaebd2z6guua.jpg

Dead, years of substance abuse and stints in prison, and an obnoxiously overplayed presence on the internet... it's like my entire life going in reverse.

I'm finding the periscopes annoying, but that's just me.

Have they slowed events down? I don't seem to be running into as many as I used to. Personally, I thought they needed to have more going at a quicker pace even before. I'm of the opinion that the opening zones are some of the slower parts of the game because of the slow event pace.

Einbroch

Banned
By the way, I read all the posts telling me what there is to do. They did not go on deaf ears. I think I want to try getting sweet armor. Weapons are okay, but armor is cooler.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wish they'd go further. I'd like the last bit before the cathartic triumph to just be nuts. Tons of vets in Plains of Ashford just wrecking newbies left and right, buildings set on fire, just chaos outside the Black Citadel and they'd have to ask what was going on and team up with higher-leveled people to survive, but the rewards would be awesome if you pushed them back. I wonder how far they'll go with it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oooh, that post? Yeah, I remember it, shall re-read!

And yeah, my connection is good in dungeons. I was in your party over the weekend doing story mode for the first time and I didn't have any problems then. Not sure wtf is up with the box though ... nerve busting lag there.

Would be great to run with gaf! Should I try to get to a decent WP first? haven't been able to get anywhere near "far" in that area. Tried to get more WPs there and somehow ran in a huge circle :/
Generally speaking get to the Lights Waypoint in Malchor's, Meddler's Waypoint in Cursed Shore.
By the way, I read all the posts telling me what there is to do. They did not go on deaf ears. I think I want to try getting sweet armor. Weapons are okay, but armor is cooler.
Check it out (pick your race and armor class)

Remember they can look very different with different dyes.

edit: Ack, sorry for the postpost

Jira

I personally think that a universal dungeon token would be best, with the caveat that you can't buy specific dungeon gear until you've completed each path of that dungeon.

No, a universal dungeon currency would be about the worst thing possible. If they implemented that, they might as well close every dungeon but CoF path 1 because that's what people would run to get every single dungeon skin in the game. Why would I run Arah when I could rofflestomp CoF1 for Arah skins? Multiple currencies exist throughout the game to provide different reward structures based on time spent and difficulty of said content. Risk versus reward is the basis of all reward structures in gaming. It's the reason why you can obtain Ascended gear quicker (once all Guild Missions are unlocked) via Guild Missions versus a lot slower from your Laurels. You cannot fail to obtain Laurels, so that's on the easy side but longer time commitment. Guild Missions can be failed quite easily and are on the harder side of things therefore the quicker acquisition. I will say though we need a damn currency tab for the dungeon tokens, back in December they put in the contextual menus for deposit tokens, but nothing has come of it thus far. That makes me think that they are indeed working on a currency tab for the UI.

Katoki

The day that we get to deposit or hide away tokens... I'll probably start running dungeons again. My bank needs help and running dungeons right now isn't going to help it.

Retro

Dunno if this has been posted yet, but...

The Origin of the Super Adventure Box

In this video, Josh Foreman talks about the inspiration behind Super Adventure Box, what games influenced it, and what kind of things you can do while playing it.

Nothing really new, but it's cool to hear the guy behind it (and the Mad King's Tower) gush a little about why he got into game development. In addition to Mario, Zelda and sonic, he also mentions Metroid and Castlevania... I see the whip getting an upgrade in one of the later worlds...

Edit: Dear god, what the hell is that down there?!

Retro

retro isn't jeff bridges?

Not that I remember, but if people believe that I think I should get some Super Weapon skins for having been in Tron. Also, for all the talk of me supposedly sounding like Batman, I am shocked that Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Christian Bale didn't make the list.

Not even Adam West.

I am Adam West

Seriously though, where do you get Jeff Bridges?

Trey

Dunno if this has been posted yet, but...

The Origin of the Super Adventure Box

Nothing really new, but it's cool to hear the guy behind it (and the Mad King's Tower) gush a little about why he got into game development. In addition to Mario, Zelda and sonic, he also mentions Metroid and Castlevania... I see the whip getting an upgrade in one of the later worlds...

Edit: Dear god, what the hell is that down there?!

Does Mrs Retro know that you just rediscovered your junk?

Wallach

That + sell from bank and the problem is basically solved to my satisfaction.

Yes. Once I can spend currency from within the deposit I think there would be very little issue. There would still be a lot of currencies but I don't really see that as a problem when they are no longer eating up more and more bank space.

After a few small skirmishes with Mesmers in addition to that pain in the ass Bounty that uses it.. I'm seriously wondering if Confusion doesn't need adjustment. It stacks incredibly fast and damages a player for almost any action they take. A confusion build Mes with any glass cannon build seem to be able to wreck larger groups rather quickly.

Katoki

After a few small skirmishes with Mesmers in addition to that pain in the ass Bounty that uses it.. I'm seriously wondering if Confusion doesn't need adjustment. It stacks incredibly fast and damages a player for almost any action they take. A confusion build Mes with any glass cannon build seem to be able to wreck larger groups rather quickly.

On the other hand it's not quite as useful/effective in PvE from my experience. If only the AI were as button mashing happy as we are.

Katoki

Isn't that true of pretty much any condition build? Even just a slight tweak to what actions cause a player under confusion to take damage would be enough.

I guess I was saying that bleeds and poison keep ticking in PvE at the least. If stuff is too busy chasing you around to bother performing auto-attacks then the confusion will just drop off.

Beepos

So starting to play Guild Wars 2 again and finally finish the main story campaign. Even I was 80 way before, I still had a good 5-6 missions left which surprised me, but it was all satisfying in the game.

I'm going for 100% world completion next. The world is just so beautiful crafted and has a good sense of liveliness, contributed by the dynamic events of course. Even 80 I have no problem running around lv10 areas, and really getting invested in the environment and areas. I stop and revive NPCs, kill creatures for bonus exp, and try to contribute to the world even though I'm 80 and really should be ruhsing around hitting PoIs and stuff as fast as possible.

I do think having a basic guide of things you can work on when you hit 80 would be useful for Anet to provide. Really once I hit 100% explore, I'll need to check the net what to work on next because even if I want some awesome skins, I don't know how to go about it except for dungeon tokens. (And then making sure you don't make a mistake and waste tokens seems complicated)

Overall, really enjoying coming back and SAB is brilliant too.

I had this one preordered and played it when it first came out up until lvl 65 I believe but than leveling took kinda ages and I got sidetracked. Also the disbanding of EU-GAF guild made me kinda stop playing.

So I was thinking of starting again... I asked before and most of you guys were situated on US server (forgot the name but will check it). So questions are:

1. Is it still free to migrate?
2. How is lag on US server for EU players?
3. Is doing events still the fastest way to level?
4. Are we active in RvR? (one part of the game that I never tried)

Thank you for your time!

Ashodin

I had this one preordered and played it when it first came out up until lvl 65 I believe but than leveling took kinda ages and I got sidetracked. Also the disbanding of EU-GAF guild made me kinda stop playing.

So I was thinking of starting again... I asked before and most of you guys were situated on US server (forgot the name but will check it). So questions are:

1. Is it still free to migrate?
2. How is lag on US server for EU players?
3. Is doing events still the fastest way to level?
4. Are we active in RvR? (one part of the game that I never tried)

Thank you for your time!
1. Nope, have to pay 1800 gems to transfer now. Something like 40 gold in game (or thereabouts)

2. Almost all of our EU players have remarked barely any lag on Stormbluff Isle, our server.

3. Doing ANYTHING is the fastest way to level. you get experience for anything, so really, just play the way you want. Most people will say leveling crafting is a big deal, but that's only for alts, really.

4. WvW? Yep, we sure are. Definitely so.

If you transfer over, we'll definitely give you an invite, bro

Fewr

How do you guys play this game? Keyboard? controller?

I0m not too used to pc gaming, and think this thing requires extra fingers from me.

How do you guys play this game? Keyboard? controller?

I0m not too used to pc gaming, and think this thing requires extra fingers from me.

I use keyboard and mouse (with extra buttons).

Hawkian, one of our guild leaders uses a controller and I'm pretty sure he is very happy with it. He plays pretty good with it sometimes even better than our other leader who uses a keyboard and mouse but not quite as good as me because he just isn't that good at vidya games.

This link (http://gafguild.com/index.php?threads/controller-gaf-configs.52/) from our guild website has nice guide on how to set it up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Playing with a controller is incredible; totally makes the longevity of the game for me. The way it translates to the SAB (which has fewer buttons, obviously) is just magic.

I'm not at all kidding when I say gw2 feels like it was designed for it. I'm working on a controller map image that is simpler to understand than what we have so far but installation is quite simple. Just File -> Download and follow the instructions.

oktarb

Tonight I perfect the controller. I downloaded the zip and have it setup but it was a tad sluggish and I didn't know what did what. All very normal. Tonight I'll play around with it.

After Gargantuan completed his first dungeon thanks to Hawkian and the guys I leveled my Elementalist to 80 \o/. So two 80, not bad. I would try a ranger but I hate pets with a passion.

That dungeon made me want more ranged attacks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ooh, Right Click -> Save As.
Tonight I perfect the controller. I downloaded the zip and have it setup but it was a tad sluggish and I didn't know what did what. All very normal. Tonight I'll play around with it.

After Gargantuan completed his first dungeon thanks to Hawkian and the guys I leveled my Elementalist to 80 \o/. So two 80, not bad. I would try a ranger but I hate pets with a passion.

That dungeon made me want more ranged attacks.
Let me know if you have any troubles or questions about the setup! I'll try to quit procrastinating (i.e. playing when I get home) and finish the controls/guide thing I'm working on.

Those were some great runs, by the way. Considering it was your first time and the rest of us were on Mumble and thus not typing as much instruction as we really should have, you did fantastically well. Next time we'll do Colossus so you get the achievement for all paths from that dungeon!

On that note, I think Colossus needs a slight tuning pass to put him between where he was right at the Jan patch and how he is now. Just have Grast put up the bubble 1.5x as often or so. Before he did it so often you could just ignore the interrupts, which was bad, but now he'll do it twice at most during the fight. As it stands, while a team with 2 or more thieves could completely trivialize this fight, and 1 can kind of carry a team that is low in repeated CCs, I'm just not sure what a team of (for example) warriors and guardians is supposed to do against him. They'd probably only be able to interrupt 1 out of every 3 of his rumble attacks. Maybe you can take advantage of the safe spots, but they're out of the way...

oktarb

I think the only time I had to chuckle was the flaming stairs of death. I was a little behind and didn't see you guys jump/wall hugging. I saw stairs, I ran down, I saw death. I took out my map and wrote "Here there be death"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom