• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taffer

As it stands, while a team with 2 or more thieves could completely trivialize this fight, and 1 can kind of carry a team that is low in repeated CCs, I'm just not sure what a team of (for example) warriors and guardians is supposed to do against him. They'd probably only be able to interrupt 1 out of every 3 of his rumble attacks. Maybe you can take advantage of the safe spots, but they're out of the way...

I'm using Mace/Shield & Hammer on my Warrior, there's 2 interrupts on each weapon set and the burst skill for both sets stuns, I'm in love with cancelling every attack I can.

Retro

I'm using Mace/Shield & Hammer on my Warrior, there's 2 interrupts on each weapon set and the burst skill for both sets stuns, I'm in love with cancelling every attack I can.

I had so-so luck with a Stunlock build: Unsuspecting Foe (+50% crit against stunned enemies) and Sigil of Paralyzation (+15 stun duration) on a Mace/Shield Crit build. It seemed okay, but a lot of bosses resist that sort of stuff if I remember right. Maybe it's changed, or only works on that boss, being build around the interrupt mechanic.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think the only time I had to chuckle was the flaming stairs of death. I was a little behind and didn't see you guys jump/wall hugging. I saw stairs, I ran down, I saw death. I took out my map and wrote "Here there be death"
There may or may not have been a lot of laughter on mumble at that particular moment. For some reason your character seemed to be casually strolling down the stairs as though unafraid of the fire.
6 total is actually way more than I thought you could get on a war. Definitely could pull it off with coordination (basically, a 5 war team set up that way would need a rotation, someone to blow them all the first time, then someone else the second, and so on until the cooldowns).

What sucks is that immobilize (which Guardians, for one, have a lot of access to) does NOT could as CC; it's just a condition.
I had so-so luck with a Stunlock build: Unsuspecting Foe (+50% crit against stunned enemies) and Sigil of Paralyzation (+15 stun duration) on a Mace/Shield Crit build. It seemed okay, but a lot of bosses resist that sort of stuff if I remember right. Maybe it's changed, or only works on that boss, being build around the interrupt mechanic.
Well, any CC takes off one stack of defiant. The full effects of any CC you hit a boss with when defiant is gone should apply, but none of them will apply before that point (they'll do nothing besides removing one stack).

There are bosses that are simply immune to CC though. Most actually aren't, which is cool, but people tend not to notice. It's kind of a pity because a coordinated duo that can reliably get Defiant off and use knockdowns or blowout can totally embarrass a threatening boss.

etiolate

Banned
My major issue is that I have no idea where to begin when I hit the max level. Everything seems so overwhelming and there's no in-game direction about what to do.

I leveled to max on my Mesmer and now I'm rerolling Thief because I have no clue what to do.

Here's what I did:

Once I hit 80, I started working on getting optimum gear. This involved crafting some pieces and earning other pieces through dungeon runs. At first, my gear was a hodge podge of what I could get, but I had a visual look in mind and stats for my build in mind that ended up being a mix of crafted items, whispers armor, and Crucible of Eternity armor. I also wanted a cool sword and Greatsword, so I got the Ghostly Sword from AC and crafted a Mystic Claymore.

After that I did a lot of dungeon runs. I hadn't done many of the dungeons leveling up, so it was all content I hadn't seen yet. I mostly did these dungeons just to see the content.

When I got a little tired of dungeons, I did some WvWvW. I got obsessed with that for a month or so, and then I finally decided to check out Orr. Yeah, I had played for two or three months and barely touched the final zones. I remember getting some GAF guild people to help open up the temple of Lyssa. I think I may have still needed certain stats that Lyssa had.

I also needed to do Orr to gather materials for crafting and max out both of my crafting trades.

Here and there I would work towards a weapon skin or item I wanted. I think this may have been where I was taking a semi-break to play some single player games. I was doing a lot of Adventure and indie games here and there.

Then when I started playing more heavily again I decided to finish off my personal story. I stopped somewhere in the 50-60s level range of the story, so I had a lot to do.

I also started working on a second set of gear for a different visual look and slightly different stats for another build. I have three sets of exotic gear now, with a glass cannon set, higher survival/magic find set and a condition damage set.

You don't have to do things in the order I did them. Some people focus on personal story. Some people aim straight for Legendaries or World Completion. I haven't even begun on World Completion focus, even though I'm at 1300+ hours played.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man, Defiance is really interesting to me. I feel like I should buy every B2P MMO that comes out just to reward the model. Still, it looks quite rough. I want to play like the third-generation version of it. :{

etiolate

Banned
It seems like a game that might be pretty good in six months of time. The TotalBiscuit videos on it were pretty iffy, but nobody thinks its awful. It's just on the unrefined side.

Taffer

To be honest I'm more interested in stripping Defiant than I am in stunning/dazing against bosses so I'm OK with that. I still haven't decided on sigils for my weapons though.

markot

Banned
I cant really do much in the stupid super box cause the combat lag is so bad, add to that the jumpy mushrooms lag too >.< boo urns, it makes it unfun.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah who was the other that was saying it was unplayable lag in there (but no lag in dungeons)?

So bizarre. It can't be that taxing on the network. I literally haven't had a second of lag in there, it's been tight as a drum. You could convince me the game's controls were designed for the SAB.

The only time I have had lag in GW2 is when steam decides to download an update to a game or I forget to pause my game download on steam before I launch GW2. Outside of that I have never had any lag in gw2. Now the game over using my CPU and not my GPUs thats another story.

Yeah who was the other that was saying it was unplayable lag in there (but no lag in dungeons)?

So bizarre. It can't be that taxing on the network. I literally haven't had a second of lag in there, it's been tight as a drum. You could convince me the game's controls were designed for the SAB.

I believe that was me.

And yeah, there's some head-hurting levels of lag in that box :/
Never had a problem when we ran those dungeons though. But in that box ... wow. That combined with my sucky jumping puzzle skills makes it so that nothing's getting done in the box very fast when I'm in a group.

And that all pretty much = no skins for me :/
Which is why I'm trying to drum up as much gold as I can before the prices hit their all time low later this month ... and likely jump up after the box is gone.

Retro

I believe that was me.

And yeah, there's some head-hurting levels of lag in that box :/
Never had a problem when we ran those dungeons though. But in that box ... wow. That combined with my sucky jumping puzzle skills makes it so that nothing's getting done in the box very fast when I'm in a group.

And that all pretty much = no skins for me :/
Which is why I'm trying to drum up as much gold as I can before the prices hit their all time low later this month ... and likely jump up after the box is gone.

Which ones did you want?

birdchili

i had bad lag in WvW the once i spent significant time in there. i'm not sure if this is network or cpu-related.

it seems to lag badly in zones when there's some sort of big event ongoing and a million folk have shown up to participate.

otherwise, and generally: very, very responsive. i'm playing a thief and any lag at-all is just-about instadeath for my playstyle - it's rarely a problem.

Which ones did you want?

The Great Sword, the reg Sword (for my Warrior and future Mesmer + Guardian) and Staff for my Ele (poor ele ... she has to do all the work because she was first and she's now the only level 80 I have :/ )

Tried to get some more WPs for Orr so that I could run with GAF and stumbled upon a large group already doing stuff. I joined in cause that was the first time I have ever seen any players in Orr ... but somehow we failed the mission and everyone kinda just broke up :/

Retro

The Great Sword, the reg Sword (for my Warrior and future Mesmer + Guardian) and Staff for my Ele (poor ele ... she has to do all the work because she was first and she's now the only level 80 I have :/ )

yKiFY.jpg

Edit: Don't get too excited, I only sent you one.

Retro

Oh WOW, thanks sir! :D

Now I just have to get someone up to level 80 so that I can use it!

Well, now you have an incentive. Probably should have sent you the staff.

Edit: Wait, it's a weapon skin. You can apply it to any weapon and then keep transmuting it forward.

oktarb

Man, Defiance is really interesting to me. I feel like I should buy every B2P MMO that comes out just to reward the model. Still, it looks quite rough. I want to play like the third-generation version of it. :{

You can borrow my login/pw if you want, just PM me. Free character slot open.

Well, now you have an incentive. Probably should have sent you the staff.

Edit: Wait, it's a weapon skin. You can apply it to any weapon and then keep transmuting it forward.

Yeah, I could but from what I know those stones cost paper money or gems and those are 2 things I can't afford right now.

Once I have some good gold I will try to get some gems, but right now I have maybe 2g in the bank :/.

EDIT- And don't worry, it's all good with the sword!
My MAIN goal is to get that damn Great Sword Skin (WOW ... people are really trying their damned best to keep that thing expensive. Lowest is just under 20 gold on the TP where as all the other skins are between 3 and 8 gold ...).

Made a hard decision that got me up to 5 gold.
... That decision was to sell all my tier one materials and ecos along with a few mats for professions I'm not gonna do anytime soon ( Armorsmithing mainly. Had 29 bags from running around Orr so I opened them and got like 2 scale things that sold for a ton of Silver and their only use was for heavy armor and something else).

Ashodin

Aw yeah.

Man it's going to be baller when we have all the missions unlocked and can spend at will.

Of course knowing ANet they will roll out new Guild Missions 3-4 days later.

Yep. This time... Scavenger Bounty. Find a piece of paper that leads to either treasure... or DOOM

Whats ironical is that generally lag isnt that much of a problem (I am in Australia) but with the super box it is >_<

Years ago I had used to suffer really bad lag in 1 instance when playing WoW. Everything else was fine, but this 1 instance I'd lag out of as soon as it loaded. It was driving me nuts. Then I found out that - for whatever reason - Norton Antivirus just didn't like that instance. I disabled the antivirus and the instance worked fine.

markot

Banned
Sea of sorrows is gonna pwn you pussies in wvwvw this week!

I dont know, its just weird with the super box. It kinda makes it all too hard, I dont think its anti virus, I tried disabling it...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man, tonight I did two guild missions (including our first time doing a brand new category), over an hour of wvw, an hour of PvP, two dungeon paths, a world boss, and almost an hour of SAB.... what.

Nothing like home at nighttime.

markot

Banned
I wish my Asura could get those norn antler head gears >_< id be all like 'ours is the fury!'

Because if there is on thing this game needs is more people running around with game of thrones references.

Is the Gaf guild gonna work through Orr anytime soon?

I was only messing around there with other people, getting WPs and the bags were actually a great source of money.

And how do I get my "Daily's" to come up? All I see is "Monthly" after I got my first one last week.

Retro

Yeah, I could but from what I know those stones cost paper money or gems and those are 2 things I can't afford right now.

Transmutation stones? Nah. You get 3 just for completing a city's Vistas, POIs, etc. The Transmutation Crystals (for level 80 gear) have a price tag, but it's not too bad and you can get them for high level zone completion and, rarely, dailies.

Is the Gaf guild gonna work through Orr anytime soon?

I was only messing around there with other people, getting WPs and the bags were actually a great source of money.

And how do I get my "Daily's" to come up? All I see is "Monthly" after I got my first one last week.

Hawkian was just mentioning doing another big Orr-clearing event, we'll keep you posted and announce it in advance.

Your dailies are automatically hidden once you've completed them, and your monthlies come up. After the reset in the evening, they will be back. The only other thing it might be is if you went in and checked specific ones to track, in which case you can click them from the UI (which brings up the Achievement panel) and de-select them. Then everything will go back to working as normal.

Ashodin

Transmutation stones? Nah. You get 3 just for completing a city's Vistas, POIs, etc. The Transmutation Crystals (for level 80 gear) have a price tag, but it's not too bad and you can get them for high level zone completion and, rarely, dailies.
Black Lion chests give transmutation crystals too. Just gotta get those keys

Anno

Speaking of BL chests, is ANet just going to keep adding stuff to them over time? I kinda hope so. Can't imagine the variety of stuff that will come out in four years.

Oh? I thought I was doing a good job of completing things in the early levels at least ...

Hawkian was just mentioning doing another big Orr-clearing event, we'll keep you posted and announce it in advance.

Your dailies are automatically hidden once you've completed them, and your monthlies come up. After the reset in the evening, they will be back. The only other thing it might be is if you went in and checked specific ones to track, in which case you can click them from the UI (which brings up the Achievement panel) and de-select them. Then everything will go back to working as normal.
Ok, thanks!

Orr seems like the place to be in my journey to gain some decent gold. Guessing I'm gonna need around 20+ gold before the end of the month if I wanna buy the GS and Staff skins before the box is gone.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Just saw SBI is lined up CD and the server I'm on SoS. Having dropped a tier down seems that I'm having a lot more fun now, the skirmishes between all three server is awesome at times. Hopefully I'll see a few [GAF] tags appear now and then :D

Whatever happened to 'ALumpOfCoal' and his GW2 Bear? He was a pretty major part of the pre-release threads, and then he just disappeared.
He posted in that threads about GW2 on gaming and usually says he likes the game but he thinks there is still many issues with it so he has taken a break from it.

I think he played if so much in beginning that he burnt out. I think he also at the time when he stopped playing didn't think there was an interesting end game.

6 total is actually way more than I thought you could get on a war. Definitely could pull it off with coordination (basically, a 5 war team set up that way would need a rotation, someone to blow them all the first time, then someone else the second, and so on until the cooldowns).
Actually, warriors can have even more CC effects than that at one time. Kick and stomp add an extra 2 on top of that and they can bring "Fear Me!" for defiance-ignoring goodness. On top of THAT, you could take the Rampage elite skill (it really sucks though) which replaces your weapon bar with 3 CC effects, a charge, and a punch auto-attack. So, all told, a warrior could bring many as 11 CCs with 4 of them being PBAoE.

More realistically, one would bring a shout warrior with hammer+mace/shield. The shouts would provide removal, buffs, party healing, and lots of adrenaline to power your adrenaline-based stuns. It's not that damagey, but the support and control abilities are exceptional.

What sucks is that immobilize (which Guardians, for one, have a lot of access to) does NOT could as CC; it's just a condition.
Warrior get a bit of immobilize as well through a trait that immobilizes anyone they cripple (only lasts for a second, but it applies every time you cripple). Works great with axe mainhand to screw with anyone thinking to use a stunbreak to avoid Eviscerate.

Complistic

Oh? I thought I was doing a good job of completing things in the early levels at least ...
Guessing I'm gonna need around 20+ gold before the end of the month if I wanna buy the GS and Staff skins before the box is gone.

Or you could just run through the first couple levels of the SAB once a day or so by yourself and get them.

Jira

Lottery list is up to date. Drawing tonight at 5 pacific / 8 eastern. You can still put money in until that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom