• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

oktarb

I hear you. I feel odd playing any class that can't weapon swap. It seems like such a built in mechanic I boggle at why all classes don't have it. I mean I get their philosophy but I just feel hindered.

Another thing that kinda sucks about being level 80 without having explored is that all the content you level down to still drops under leveled gear but hey at least your crafting skills are maxed and you can create all your own gear! Still, loot losses that kick if you're running lower level content.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, after getting really comfortable with my Ele I don't really think weapon swapping would be a good thing for them. It would be just ludicrously overpowered in high-level play and the class is overwhelming enough at low levels. ;)

Engis are different though. No matter what an Ele has equipped they have access to 20 weapon skills outright. Engis have the standard 5, but a bonus 4 utility skills. It seems like less of a fair trade except if you're using kits at which point things could quickly get ridiculous. But if yoiu're just sort of outfitting your engi with typical skills I wish it didn't feel so missing.

Retro

I'm not sure what's going on there. People are getting Bauble Bubble skins, making the dropped skins less farmed and/or desirable? No clue.

Speculation. There used to be 100 Greatsword skins, somebody bought a bunch and drove the price up.

if they start adding more town and clothes and want me to buy them, they need to fix that they take up bank space first imo.

I hope they add a Collectables tab for both Town Clothes and Dungeon Tokens. That, or a skin locker like there is in PVP.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No one will like this but I don't see any kind of dedicated storage for town clothes happening. You get a set of slots on your character for them, and they're so unnecessary in the first place that buying extra bank space to hold all your pretty clothes is likely exactly what they're hoping you'll do.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Are there optimal settings for Mumble that I don't know about?

I set up my mic to only transmit noise when it picks up my voice but it is picking up a weird alien-like siren as well as sounds like I'm eating my mic. Which I imagine isn't too pleasant for others.

oktarb

I used to love my Elementalist but I have found in GW2 I just don't like being squishy. I think in this game I'm more of a slow ponderous player.

Next I have to play some WvW and finish my last storyline quest.

Retro

I set up my mic to only transmit noise when it picks up my voice but it is picking up a weird alien-like siren as well as sounds like I'm eating my mic. Which I imagine isn't too pleasant for others.

Hypnotoad had a similar thing going on (he actually sounded like Risen...), it's something with the new Beta of Mumble. If it's not that, it could be your microphone, your sound settings... lot of crap =\

As Retro said there's a dozen different things that could cause this. Everything from hardware to drivers to a slight breeze generated by a fan across the room. However even if you can get your signal cleared up, Push To Talk is necessary to prevent from broadcasting every little sound you make.

Yes, give Eles weapon swapping. About time we took our rightful place as of overlords of Tyria.

Just in time for my new Ele!

Complistic

No one will like this but I don't see any kind of dedicated storage for town clothes happening. You get a set of slots on your character for them, and they're so unnecessary in the first place that buying extra bank space to hold all your pretty clothes is likely exactly what they're hoping you'll do.

They should just have a tailor or whatever like in GW1 that you can show them what you're wearing and have them make a copy for you any time in the future.

Hypnotoad had a similar thing going on (he actually sounded like Risen...), it's something with the new Beta of Mumble. If it's not that, it could be your microphone, your sound settings... lot of crap =\

Try the audio wizard in mumble if you haven't. Thats what I use. Also make sure on voice amplification in the settings panel it isnt set to the highest db setting because that can pick up stuff you might not normally hear when you're testing the mic. Also check the sound panel on windows for your mic settings.

I saw that Almighty Apkallu who I believe is in the guild was in top 1000 for pvp.

Not in the top 1000, only 4921, I don't PvP, done like 10 JP's, only completed 4 dungeons, so much to do, most of my points come from only missing 1 daily since the game launched, lately all I have been doing is my daily and signing off, bored of the game, the only time I play is when a friend wants to run fractals otherwise if he ain't playing, after my daily i sign off and watch TV, Anime, or play another game...

Katoki

Not in the top 1000, only 4921, I don't PvP, done like 10 JP's, only completed 4 dungeons, so much to do, most of my points come from only missing 1 daily since the game launched, lately all I have been doing is my daily and signing off, bored of the game, the only time I play is when a friend wants to run fractals otherwise if he ain't playing, after my daily i sign off and watch TV, Anime, or play another game...

I found that when I was in that phase, logging in just to do the daily didn't help with the boredom. At that point it becomes more of a job because you need to do it every day to get that laurel and those achievement points. May I suggest just playing/doing something else for a while and not playing this?

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
As Retro said there's a dozen different things that could cause this. Everything from hardware to drivers to a slight breeze generated by a fan across the room. However even if you can get your signal cleared up, Push To Talk is necessary to prevent from broadcasting every little sound you make.

Gah, guess I'll have to start using push to talk or get a mic with a on/off switch.

Problem is that I have my laptop next to my couch on Mumble while I play on my couch with my desktop hooked to the TV.

Speculation. There used to be 100 Greatsword skins, somebody bought a bunch and drove the price up.
They must have done that to every weapon then.

Now the GS is 33gold and the Staff is almost as much as the GS use to be :/
Hope this swings back down before the month ends ...

Katoki

Anyone know if they're popping out of chests less? If it's not that then either people are getting tired of re-running for skins or they're hoarding everything they find in hopes of resale later down the line for higher prices.

To be honest though, I don't care about it much now but that's me and my motion-sickness talking. It was really cool when it was first opened to us but it did still lose it's appeal to me after about a week and a half? Yeah, I understand it's for the people that can't play it immediately or haven't been able to yet. For the rest of us it's a "been there, done that" kind of thing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, if you're bored of the game, I can't imagine logging on every day to do the daily is going to help matters much. :-[ I can't believe you've gotten all but 1 daily since launch- I know I'm nowhere close. Just take a break! Everything will be here (and more) when you get back.

Taking it a little further, and no offense to those who log on to do their dailies and nothing else and still want to stick with the game, or those who actually enjoy just "doing their dailies," but if I ever got to that point myself I think I would probably quit. Just my personality, not advice of any kind. The rewards obtained from the dailies are only interesting to me inasmuch as they will impact the rest of my gameplay experience- that impact being anything from more agony resist with a new Ascended piece to something nice to look at like a new mini purchased with laurels, the chance for a Black Lion salvage kit, or the XP boost provided to an alt I'm leveling.

Just like Katoki said, if you feel like you need to do it every day then you've turned a game into a job. You should be booting up GW2 if and when you want to play it, and getting your daily done through the course of doing whatever you actually wanted to do with your in-game time, mopping up the last bits if you need to log off. If the daily becomes your reason for logging on, I can't imagine how sick of it you must be.

Maybe there's more to it I'm not seeing. Personally I find a much bigger issue to be totally overwhelmed with finding enough time in-game to get done everything I want to get done. I'm shocked the game has been able to hold my active interest for this long without any significant reduction in playtime. The closest I came to feeling burnt out/bored was the period between the January and Feb. patches, and the Meta Event update made short work of that.
Anyone know if they're popping out of chests less? If it's not that then either people are getting tired of re-running for skins or they're hoarding everything they find in hopes of resale later down the line for higher prices.

To be honest though, I don't care about it much now but that's me and my motion-sickness talking. It was really cool when it was first opened to us but it did still lose it's appeal to me after about a week and a half? Yeah, I understand it's for the people that can't play it immediately or haven't been able to yet. For the rest of us it's a "been there, done that" kind of thing.
To each his own, my biggest problem with it is that I never get around to playing it as much as I want to on a given day :p

Ashodin

I'm currently limiting the time I play on the game during the week for more IRL activities (working on getting everything ready for the move with Amanda, working out again (awww yiss), and working on Mr. Wave here and there).

I play nights and then weekends heavily for guild activities. My big thing is that when Guild Challenges roll out, we'll be going "shiiit there's soo much content"

Hell some of us are saying that right now!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
To my own surprise I appear to kind of maybe actually be good at WvW. I hadn't really played it since launch due to being busy with dungeon runs. So started heading into it a few nights ago and appear to be getting into the swing of things quickly.

Though now that I see how it works I cannot help but suspect somewhere out there on a server, there is a single unstoppable zerg that has been going since launch. That no commander has been able to tame, though many have lost their lives in the attempt.

Retro

What does that mean (never played wow)

LFG (and LFR, which lets you queue for raids) in WoW isn't just a way to organize; it is literally an automated system where you tell it whether you're a Tank, Healer or DPS and it does everything else (you can specify a specific dungeon, but it can just put you wherever the first available slot is).

The problem is that it just dumps you into a group with 4 strangers. All of my LFG experiences might as well have been with NPCs; when they weren't completely silent, they were obnoxious and kinda greedy. Very impatient (pulling before healers have full mana, glitching/exploiting without warning, shortcuts, etc.) and selfish (everyone rolls need on anything they can get their hands on, etc). Because it works cross-server (and WoW doesn't have guesting, just $25 transfer fees), chances are good you will never run into the same people twice, allowing people to be as obnoxious/ruthless as they want without any repercussions. So everybody just behaved badly.

Also, the system is built to not let you into groups unless your gear's item level is past a certain threshold. So even if you're the best player in the world, unless you've farmed up enough gear to meet their requirements, it just won't let you queue.

Basically you press a button and it does everything short of running the dungeon for you. Even if you remove the behavior of the players, it still just basically made the whole process of dungeon running cold and mechanical.

Now now.. let's be fair Retro.. it wouldn't matter if they WERE on the same server as you because most people don't care about server rep anymore. Gone are the days when Guild Leaders would kick members doing stupid shit and those reputed with being obnoxious were blackballed by everyone capable of doing content.

I see a bit of a resurgence of it on GW2... but in most games no one cares anymore.

oktarb

Though I do hate where wow went with it I'm very interested in how GW2 does it. Sometime shouting in guild chat just doesn't get you any where. We're all busy people, sometimes i wouldn't mind PUGing a dungeon. I've met great people in random groups.

It hearkens memories of EQ1 when we would all head over to Ogre Hill 1 in West Commons and wait in line to kill the spawns in an organized manner. Great conversations were had.

oktarb

Now now.. let's be fair Retro.. it wouldn't matter if they WERE on the same server as you because most people don't care about server rep anymore. Gone are the days when Guild Leaders would kick members doing stupid shit and those reputed with being obnoxious were blackballed by everyone capable of doing content.

I see a bit of a resurgence of it on GW2... but in most games no one cares anymore.

The opposite end of the spectrum is EVE where your reputation follows up around like a sad puppy. 30 minute voice interviews, evil people banding together in evil balls of death while carebears unite for self protection.

Seems to me there has to be a happy middle ground but us gamers tend to take things to the extreme.

Trey

I think my daily completion rate would be somewhere in the forties.

I've gone weeks at a time without playing. If I'm not playing GW2, though, I'm probably not playing anything.

Let me go, Anet.

Ashodin

I think my daily completion rate would be somewhere in the forties.

I've gone weeks at a time without playing. If I'm not playing GW2, though, I'm probably not playing anything.

Let me go, Anet.

1167581_o.gif

It's funny to post this and I haven't seen the movie it's from

Ashodin

Welp Jonathan Sharp just said they're gonna split more skills between pve and pvp. Hooray! Now they won't have to nerf PVE stuff for the sake of balance in PVP.

Welp Jonathan Sharp just said they're gonna split more skills between pve and pvp. Hooray! Now they won't have to nerf PVE stuff for the sake of balance in PVP.

It's going to be interesting, that's for sure. I don't know how effective it will really be though as there will still be tons of complaints from WvW players. Unless the WvW section of the game will fall under PvP balance.

etiolate

Banned
I am and always have been all for skill splitting. In the first Guild Wars, the Mesmer had a ton of issues in PVE for awhile while constantly being nerfed for PVP. They didn't really come together on both sides until they started splitting skills. It's just really hard to keep classes viable in both sections without splitting skills.

Ashodin

It's going to be interesting, that's for sure. I don't know how effective it will really be though as there will still be tons of complaints from WvW players. Unless the WvW section of the game will fall under PvP balance.

WvW and PvP will be separate from PVE, yes. Since you kill players in both.

etiolate

Banned
WvW and PvP will be separate from PVE, yes. Since you kill players in both.

I am not sure about that since WvWvW runs off the same stats from gear as PVE. Due to Ascended and food buffs and the like, the stat inflation in WvWvW is much higher than PVE. Skills will be performing at higher power levels and higher condition damage levels and higher crit multipliers.

I am not sure about that since WvWvW runs off the same stats from gear as PVE. Due to Ascended and food buffs and the like, the stat inflation in WvWvW is much higher than PVE. Skills will be performing at higher power levels and higher condition damage levels and higher crit multipliers.

I agree with you. Can't imagine them splitting WvW skills, since it's currently designed around PVE gear and influences PVE 'buffs'.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
WvW just isn't meant to balanced in any practical sense with regard to individual player vs. player, skill-on-skill combat. It's just inherently not that kind of mode. Far from a set of closed maps where an individual counts for 1/8th of their team at most, trying to balance WvW for the tuning of 1v1, 5v5, or 8v8 when there are hundreds on screen just seems futile. I can't see them possibly applying the PvP balance sweeps to WvW when everything else about WvW draws from PvE.

WvW just isn't meant to balanced in any practical sense with regard to individual player vs. player, skill-on-skill combat. It's just inherently not that kind of mode. Far from a set of closed maps where an individual counts for 1/8th of their team at most, trying to balance WvW for the tuning of 1v1, 5v5, or 8v8 when there are hundreds on screen just seems futile. I can't see them possibly applying the PvP balance sweeps to WvW when everything else about WvW draws from PvE.

I agree with you but I fear the splitting of skills will be applied to WvW because there are similar complaints about builds between WvW and pvp. Everyone hates/loves bunker builds in pvp and wvw, so they might think splitting the skills would fix builds in both areas.

Due to the nature of WvW, small scale balance changes would only benefit the mode. In a large group the individual doesn't matter as much and in small groups there wouldn't be dominant gank classes (in theory anyway).

However I worry that it wouldn't be possible to change WvW without changing PvE because they seem to be a lot more connected than either of those modes are with PvP. The PvE player should want WvW balanced with PvP and seperate from PvE because WvW is where most of the build complaints are coming from nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom