• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Complistic

I just want the precursor scavenger hunt they said they had someone designing back in January.

Last they said was don't expect it in the jan, feb, or march update.

So after finally deciding to use my alts to help get more baubles per day I finally got enough to buy a weapon skin. I grabbed the greatsword and immediately put it on my mesmer's (level 4) weapon and then logged out. Now I am kind of regretting not getting the regular sword skin for my warrior who is my highest character... Oh well 2 days and I can get it.

Arcteryx

I agree with you but I fear the splitting of skills will be applied to WvW because there are similar complaints about builds between WvW and pvp. Everyone hates/loves bunker builds in pvp and wvw, so they might think splitting the skills would fix builds in both areas.

Unless you are guarding yaks or in havoc squads, whether you are a bunker or not isn't going to matter much when going against a 40 person group. The meta has been, and likely will be for a LONG time, PVT builds. I just don't see them changing it.

Due to the nature of WvW, small scale balance changes would only benefit the mode. In a large group the individual doesn't matter as much and in small groups there wouldn't be dominant gank classes (in theory anyway).

However I worry that it wouldn't be possible to change WvW without changing PvE because they seem to be a lot more connected than either of those modes are with PvP. The PvE player should want WvW balanced with PvP and seperate from PvE because WvW is where most of the build complaints are coming from nowadays.

It's really mostly s/tPvP.

oktarb

Player made content. I love these thing and want to try something out with the guild.

I'd like to host a scavenger hunt on the 20th. I'm working on the details still but it will involve find items and places based on clues. The first prize will be 50 gold.

I'll have more info as I shore up the rules. Also a couple volunteers would be welcome.

oktarb

Well I want people to be intrigued and there should be a nice prize. People may form teams ect. plus i ain;t doing one very month ;)

Unless you are guarding yaks or in havoc squads, whether you are a bunker or not isn't going to matter much when going against a 40 person group. The meta has been, and likely will be for a LONG time, PVT builds. I just don't see them changing it.

It's really mostly s/tPvP.

Stealth change and Quickness change were both the direct result of WvW complaints. And that's just the two off the top of my head. TPvP doesn't get the same complaints because the players there tend to, on average, work better with each other and strat things out further. They don't just rage when someone instagibs them, they strat ways around it.

Hot Join players have either adjusted to the current style of play or stopped playing Hot Join.. so the complaints aren't coming from there either.

When a group of 5 people are traveling through a Borderland and come across a Thief who stealth dances wasting everyone's time for 10 minutes because they can't kill him or ignore him.. that ends up being a complaint. When 10 guys have to chase a Bunker Ele for 400 yards to finally finish him, thus moving way away from the zerg.. that ends up being a complaint. Don't get me wrong.. WvW players have other things that they focus on.. but class balance complaints are heavily influenced by small scale skirmish stuff in WvW.

Arcteryx

Stealth change and Quickness change were both the direct result of WvW complaints. And that's just the two off the top of my head. TPvP doesn't get the same complaints because the players there tend to, on average, work better with each other and strat things out further. They don't just rage when someone instagibs them, they strat ways around it.

Hot Join players have either adjusted to the current style of play or stopped playing Hot Join.. so the complaints aren't coming from there either.

When a group of 5 people are traveling through a Borderland and come across a Thief who stealth dances wasting everyone's time for 10 minutes because they can't kill him or ignore him.. that ends up being a complaint. When 10 guys have to chase a Bunker Ele for 400 yards to finally finish him, thus moving way away from the zerg.. that ends up being a complaint. Don't get me wrong.. WvW players have other things that they focus on.. but class balance complaints are heavily influenced by small scale skirmish stuff in WvW.

None of those things are complaint worthy though. If you get distracted that easily by a thief or an ele...dunno what to say, other than you are probably in the wrong gametype.

The PvP section on the forums is full of complaints about classes(although less so than before the recent nerfs); same goes for class specific forums with PLENTY of "nerf this class in PvP please" type posts, and I've seen plenty of tPvPers in-game rage over imba teams(multi mes, thief, or ele).

oktarb

I couldn't agree more. Those are complaints sure but they aren't valid enough for rule changes. I'm sure both sides in the WW trench wars that that shit sucked but war is war, find away around it, ignore it or overcome it.

None of those things are complaint worthy though. If you get distracted that easily by a thief or an ele...dunno what to say, other than you are probably in the wrong gametype.

I disagree. While skirmishing is enjoyable and.. useful to a degree in WvW.. the game type is supposed to largely crux on big group combat. So issues where considerably smaller groups (at times a single person) can cause issues to a much larger group, not due to their lack of skill but because of the strength of abilities.. that causes problems. A group of 5 people trying to ignore a BS Thief is simply going to die slowly (and by die slowly I mean each will get picked off one by one, individually) before they can get to wherever they're going. The Bunker Ele equally should die when getting hit by a much larger group. Individual builds being so strong against groups of players is counter intuitive to the WvW design.

The PvP section on the forums is full of complaints about classes(although less so than before the recent nerfs); same goes for class specific forums with PLENTY of "nerf this class in PvP please" type posts, and I've seen plenty of tPvPers in-game rage over imba teams(multi mes, thief, or ele).

Yup. And a lot of that is because most of the WvW forum is reserved for WvW mechanics and match up discussion. So most people instinctively head to the PvP forums to discuss any Player v. Player balance. Hell even PvE guys go in their to complain about PvP balance changes affecting them. Regardless though, WvW is the source of most of the frustration.

I couldn't agree more. Those are complaints sure but they aren't valid enough for rule changes. I'm sure both sides in the WW trench wars that that shit sucked but war is war, find away around it, ignore it or overcome it.

Well Anet certainly views them as valid enough for rule changes. The Stealth change and the Quickness change certainly didn't come from PvE and they're not major issues (the stealth not an issue at all) in SPvP/TPvP.

Arcteryx

I disagree. While skirmishing is enjoyable and.. useful to a degree in WvW.. the game type is supposed to largely crux on big group combat. So issues where considerably smaller groups (at times a single person) can cause issues to a much larger group, not due to their lack of skill but because of the strength of abilities.. that causes problems. A group of 5 people trying to ignore a BS Thief is simply going to die slowly (and by die slowly I mean each will get picked off one by one, individually) before they can get to wherever they're going. The Bunker Ele equally should die when getting hit by a much larger group. Individual builds being so strong against groups of players is counter intuitive to the WvW design.

Yup. And a lot of that is because most of the WvW forum is reserved for WvW mechanics and match up discussion. So most people instinctively head to the PvP forums to discuss any Player v. Player balance. Hell even PvE guys go in their to complain about PvP balance changes affecting them. Regardless though, WvW is the source of most of the frustration.

Honestly, I think the whole small vs large group scenario you outlined above is even "worse"(worse for the larger group) now than before. Staff eles can absolutely WRECK large amounts of players with static field now. We run a large backline group(usually 8 staff eles) and we have routinely wiped groups 2-3x(60-70+ players) our numbers.

^ That has MUCH more impact(and it wouldn't surprise me if it gets nerfed pretty soon) than a lone thief annoying people running back from spawn or an ele RTL'ing away and drawing 10+ people who ignore the plea of their commander("Don't chase guys").

I dunno, it just feels like ANet listens too much to the casual minority(ie: those who "play" by posting on the forums).

I won't even get into food/consumables/life-steal/etc, all of which can provide CRAZY gimmicky playstyles in WvW. Running with omnom compote + aoe = easy mode.

Also, ANet DID say that some of the changes were made for PvE reasons, and yes, quickness definitely IS one of those: CoF(among other things). If not, why would they blanket nerf ALL classes that use it? Why would Ranger, a class that already has enough problems(on top of, they didn't even modify the 2sec quickness on swap trait, while other classes got lengthened quickness), get hit by it?

edit:
Reduced quickness from 100% attack speed to 50%.
As we push to improve balance in both PvE and PvP, a few mechanics in the game will be receiving updates to promote fun and balanced play. In the past, quickness has granted double the action speed normally available to players. In PvP, this speed gives most players almost no chance to react to incoming abilities and allows for massive spike damage in extremely short periods of time. In PvE, the increased attack speed can trivialize a lot of content that would otherwise provide a good challenge. Therefore, we are reducing the speed that quickness allows by half of its current potential while slightly increasing the duration on player-activated skills.

Quickness also allowed for derp-quickstomps(by Rangers mainly) in s/tPvP(WvW too I guess, but who uses stomp there?)

Honestly, I think the whole small vs large group scenario you outlined above is even "worse"(worse for the larger group) now than before. Staff eles can absolutely WRECK large amounts of players with static field now. We run a large backline group(usually 8 staff eles) and we have routinely wiped groups 2-3x(60-70+ players) our numbers.

^ That has MUCH more impact(and it wouldn't surprise me if it gets nerfed pretty soon) than a lone thief annoying people running back from spawn or an ele RTL'ing away and drawing 10+ people who ignore the plea of their commander("Don't chase guys").

I dunno, it just feels like ANet listens too much to the casual minority(ie: those who "play" by posting on the forums).

I don't see that getting nerfed at all because rather than being an OP Build, it's actually just using the skills tactics effectively. It's no different than protecting Seige equipment from other seige with the swirly shield ability (I'm fairly certain that's the technical term). Your group is using an actual formation and coordinating skill use to take advantage of a recklessly advancing group. Nothing needs adjustment there.

Also, ANet DID say that some of the changes were made for PvE reasons, and yes, quickness definitely IS one of those: CoF(among other things). If not, why would they blanket nerf ALL classes that use it? Why would Ranger, a class that already has enough problems(on top of, they didn't even modify the 2sec quickness on swap trait, while other classes got lengthened quickness), get hit by it?

Because it's easier to make a change to the quickness mechanic than it is to individually go through each class and rework the skill itself. It had the added benefit of making PvE content less steamroll but those dungeons are all getting a rework anyways so why change the skill specifically for PvE content that's already going to be designed to be less exploitable? In fact, Time Warp is the only skill that made Quickness an issue in PvE at all. Meanwhile every class in WvW that uses quickness kills incredibly fast. So fast that there's nearly no actual fight to be had. Thus a change to quickness overall, an apology to PvE Rangers with promises that they're getting looked at for adjustments.

Quickness also allowed for derp-quickstomps(by Rangers mainly) in s/tPvP(WvW too I guess, but who uses stomp there?)

I know the quote as well and they mention PvP first as you can see. Also, quick stomps are incredibly powerful in WvW as they can rally fairly large groups of people. Just because Zerg v Zerg tends to be AoE everything down doesn't devalue stomps. Effecient downstate recovery can just as easily turn the tide in a large scale encounter as it does in S/TPvP.

Ashodin

Well um. Jira had a seizure. He's in the hospital right now, and they're giving him a look over and meds I think.

I hope you get better Jira. :(

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
SAB managed to get me back into the game for a while :) Got the shield and the greatsword, both are pretty amazing, if only the sound effects for the sword wouldn't be so unfittingly pseudo-8-bit in "real" Tyria. Gotta cancel that out with my chainsword.

edit ooh, get well soon Jira!

Ashodin: Are you okay
Charlie (Jira): Yeah just a bit sore

That's (relatively) good. Seizures will work your muscles pretty hard so that makes sense. Sounds like there wasn't any lasting neurological damage since he's just sore.

Probably just didn't stop the graphics soon enough.

Jira

Thanks for all of the kind words. So this was my 3rd seizure in my life. First one was when I was 16, 2nd was 17 (one month from turning 18) and now at 26. I had talked to my doctor last year about going off my meds as it had been nearly a decade while on them. Over the past few months I've started slowly weening myself off my meds. So I had finally been off of them for 2 weeks and then last night my vision started to cross and blur. It was very sudden and I knew something was wrong so I walked into the other room to let my parents know. As soon as I got into their room I apparently blacked out and started seizing. This went on for 3-4 minutes. Thankfully I didn't stop breathing like the other two times (this can kill you and if you ever see someone having a seizure, DO NOT TOUCH THEM until they stop moving. Once they do, roll them on their left side so they can get oxygen back into their heart/brain). Oh, I should also kinda preface this part with what happened on Monday. I accidentally tripped over one of my cats and hit the front of my forehead on the kitchen table. So I had a small sized knot and I iced it and it went down the next day. Also, one of the side effects for going off my meds is a chance to have a seizure. So the question is did hitting my head contribute to it? Was it a side effect of getting off the meds? Or unrelated to the two?

So I came to after about 3-4 minutes and there were EMTs around me and they started asking me questions. My mom told me I had a seizure and my reaction was something like "ugh dammit". She told me oh you hit your head tripping over Peanut and I thought that was when I had my seizure, of course my first reaction is "Is Peanut okay?". I was pretty damn out of it all the way till the ambulance and started to get more coherent and aware as time went on. Though getting into the ambulance I realized how damn thirsty I was, but they didn't have any water (wat). The EMT was having trouble getting the IV in my vein, so that didn't work out well. We got to the hospital and I was admitted to a room. A doctor came over to ask me some questions, then a nurse came over to hook me up to check my heart rate and blood pressure. So they then gave me what was essentially a muscle relaxer in liquid form since they needed to get some kind of anti-convulsant in me to prevent more seizures. They eneded up giving me two bags of that stuff too. Apparently they were worried that my heart rate was 90 (my resting HR is something like 75-80 or lower) and they couldn't understand that I get freaked out being at the doctors or a hospital cause I'm always afraid that they'll find something horribly wrong. It's all psychological but they just can't seem to grasp that. The nurse who was trying to put my IV in ended up missing and causing a huge bruise on my arm, but it doesn't hurt so whatever. They drew some blood (I don't even know what they did with it) and eventually it was time to go once they gave me a prescription. So I can also no longer drive for 2 years (again) and the doctor suggested I get on disability. When I got up to leave my entire body felt like it was made of lead and I needed help to move around without falling.

Fast forward to today and I slept for something like 20 hours throughout the day and every muscle in my body is just sore. Once again, thanks for all of the kind words all, it means a lot to me that so many of you care. At least I know my medicine works at such a low dosage with no side effects or long term organ issues. See you in game.

KuroNeeko

Scary stuff when your own body rebels against you like that.

Hope that's the last seizure you have to put up with for awhile (or ever) and you can get back on the path to a "normal" lifestyle.

Jira

Scary stuff when your own body rebels against you like that.

Hope that's the last seizure you have to put up with for awhile (or ever) and you can get back on the path to a "normal" lifestyle.

Well it seems as long as I stay on my meds that will be the case.

Glad you're well, however I question the motives of the cat and also the motives of the first reply you received having a cat avatar. In conclusion I blame the cats.

Retro

Glad you're home, Jira, I'm sure Ash is happy that we'll stop bugging him for updates every time we leave the house.

We were all talking about chipping in and buying you a monkey chauffeur since you can't drive for a while, but while we can afford the purchase and training of said monkey, we can't cover the cost of the little suit, so that went nowhere.

In concussion I blame the cats.

Adjusted for dark hilarity. Besides, everyone knows cats are murderous little beasts, mine try to kill me on an almost weekly basis.

Seizures are scary stuff. My sister has a small (thankfully non-malignant) mass on her brain that she has to stay on seizure meds because of. Glad everything's alright.

This is what happens when you don't have a dedicated healing class!

Sorry, I had to.

hythloday

Seizures are very very scary. The one time I saw one, I was at work explaining to a woman why she was not eligible for disability benefits (for reasons unrelated to her medical issues) when she started seizing right in front of me. I felt terrible and scared for her.

I am so glad you are ok, Jira.

So, I just read the current crop of Super Adventure Box weapon skins are all being retired after this month. I don't even really like them, but now I want to get a couple.

Retro

So, I just read the current crop of Super Adventure Box weapon skins are all being retired after this month. I don't even really like them, but now I want to get a couple.

Well... fuck. Glad I've been hitting the SAB up pretty regularly. I might grab a second backpack for my engineer (even though I'll probably never use it) and maybe the sword for my Mesmer. The look of the SAB weapons is cool, but it doesn't fit any of my characters except the Asurans (Mesmer / Engineer). And since the engineer can't use too many weapons, that makes it kinda easy.

Hopefully when the SAB comes back there are more weapon types. Would have loved an SAB rifle or pistol in the style of the current ones.

The worst part about all this is that Peacemaker's bit of speculation was right and there will be no living with him after this.
JUWnj.gif

Edit: Conflicting reports now, apparently Josh Foreman is on vacation this week and might not be 100% certain. We'll have to wait for clarification.

Josh said:
I don’t know how you got that out of what I said. We will certainly (as much certainty as the continuation of SAB) be making at least one Super Skin for every weapon in the game. But in order to make each release somewhat special I’m pretty sure we are going to retire the current set after April. I don’t think we will have the same set of Super Skins at our next release. Does that make sense? Overall, we have a very solid plan for everything we’re doing INSIDE the SAB, but haven’t planned out everything surrounding it, the rewards, and all that kind of stuff yet. One thing we learned in this release is to make sure we schedule more time for planning and building the reward side of things.

Not really. I’m not at work this week, and I didn’t make the plans for rewards and how and when they are distributed. I’m going off a memory of a conversation we had during the last week of production which was very hectic. Someone knows all the details, but I don’t.

That's the quote.. and to be honest it makes no sense. If you retire this entire set of weapons, then you either have less weapons to choose from next time, or you have to design a few new ones for currently covered slots.. which seems wasteful from a time/budget perspective. And Balthazar knows Ash doesn't need more GS skins...

They may retire a few of the skins but I don't think the whole set will be.

nataku

Thanks for all of the kind words. So this was my 3rd seizure in my life. First one was when I was 16, 2nd was 17 (one month from turning 18) and now at 26. I had talked to my doctor last year about going off my meds as it had been nearly a decade while on them. Over the past few months I've started slowly weening myself off my meds. So I had finally been off of them for 2 weeks and then last night my vision started to cross and blur. It was very sudden and I knew something was wrong so I walked into the other room to let my parents know. As soon as I got into their room I apparently blacked out and started seizing. This went on for 3-4 minutes. Thankfully I didn't stop breathing like the other two times (this can kill you and if you ever see someone having a seizure, DO NOT TOUCH THEM until they stop moving. Once they do, roll them on their left side so they can get oxygen back into their heart/brain). Oh, I should also kinda preface this part with what happened on Monday. I accidentally tripped over one of my cats and hit the front of my forehead on the kitchen table. So I had a small sized knot and I iced it and it went down the next day. Also, one of the side effects for going off my meds is a chance to have a seizure. So the question is did hitting my head contribute to it? Was it a side effect of getting off the meds? Or unrelated to the two?

So I came to after about 3-4 minutes and there were EMTs around me and they started asking me questions. My mom told me I had a seizure and my reaction was something like "ugh dammit". She told me oh you hit your head tripping over Peanut and I thought that was when I had my seizure, of course my first reaction is "Is Peanut okay?". I was pretty damn out of it all the way till the ambulance and started to get more coherent and aware as time went on. Though getting into the ambulance I realized how damn thirsty I was, but they didn't have any water (wat). The EMT was having trouble getting the IV in my vein, so that didn't work out well. We got to the hospital and I was admitted to a room. A doctor came over to ask me some questions, then a nurse came over to hook me up to check my heart rate and blood pressure. So they then gave me what was essentially a muscle relaxer in liquid form since they needed to get some kind of anti-convulsant in me to prevent more seizures. They eneded up giving me two bags of that stuff too. Apparently they were worried that my heart rate was 90 (my resting HR is something like 75-80 or lower) and they couldn't understand that I get freaked out being at the doctors or a hospital cause I'm always afraid that they'll find something horribly wrong. It's all psychological but they just can't seem to grasp that. The nurse who was trying to put my IV in ended up missing and causing a huge bruise on my arm, but it doesn't hurt so whatever. They drew some blood (I don't even know what they did with it) and eventually it was time to go once they gave me a prescription. So I can also no longer drive for 2 years (again) and the doctor suggested I get on disability. When I got up to leave my entire body felt like it was made of lead and I needed help to move around without falling.

Fast forward to today and I slept for something like 20 hours throughout the day and every muscle in my body is just sore. Once again, thanks for all of the kind words all, it means a lot to me that so many of you care. At least I know my medicine works at such a low dosage with no side effects or long term organ issues. See you in game.

Did you take yourself off your medication, or did the doctor tell you to start doing it after you suggested it? I'm assuming you were diagnosed with epilepsy in the past?

Where do you live? Two years is a long time. I know Nebraska only restricted me for 6 months.

Best of luck man. You're really lucky you didn't have one while driving. Having a seizure while driving is probably my biggest fear.

Retro

That's the quote.. and to be honest it makes no sense. If you retire this entire set of weapons, then you either have less weapons to choose from next time, or you have to design a few new ones for currently covered slots.. which seems wasteful from a time/budget perspective. And Balthazar knows Ash doesn't need more GS skins...

They may retire a few of the skins but I don't think the whole set will be.

It could honestly be as simple as changing the colors (for example, they're all heavily blue themed, they could have green or red next time) as a way for people to show they were there for the first SAB event. That wouldn't suck quite as hard, and honestly some color variety would be cool.

I dunno, I just plan to get all the skins I want now, I know some people are looking to farm it up so they can sell the skins later, but I really just want to grab ones for my characters. I love the SAB, but I can't see myself farming it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom