• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Looks like you'd get kicked if you zone. Seems to be back up now; was about 10 minutes at around the exact same time as the last ones. Peculiar.

So I played the FFXIV Beta and, while I did enjoy it, I think GW2 will still be my MMO of choice. It's tough to go back to the traditional MMO style after playing it.

Ashodin

From here on out the only MMO I'm looking forward to is EQ Next, since it will be the glorious return of a sandbox MMO. I'm hoping the combat is visceral too.

Ashodin

Not even Archeage as peaked your interest? You should give it a look at least.
Heard really bad things about the endgame there, and I don't trust foreign MMOs any more. They always treat English players like trash, never wanting to simultaneously release content. This makes playing the MMO stressful, as you can literally see the grass being greener on the other side, but can do shit all to get it but wait.

Ooh I crossed 4600 last night, nice

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think it's awesome just that an MMO on CryEngine3 is even a thing that exists at all. But I certainly have doubts about that game's staying power, especially if it doesn't launch here until 2014 and comes with a subscription (does it have one in Korea?)

Fun fact to know and tell, it's "piqued" in that usage ;) i.e.: "to stimulate," rather than "cause to peak"

Also fun fact, you can now filter by Guild in the Leaderboards: https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/na

But I'm sure you knew that already, didn't you mrCravens...

edit: Damn you Ashodin Venteal.

tomato, tomato. ;p

And how do you parse it by Guild? have to be logged into your account?

Heard really bad things about the endgame there, and I don't trust foreign MMOs any more. They always treat English players like trash, never wanting to simultaneously release content. This makes playing the MMO stressful, as you can literally see the grass being greener on the other side, but can do shit all to get it but wait.

I wasn't even aware there was what one would consider an endgame in Archeage. To my knowledge it was just a sandbox. A few World Bosses, PvP, and Faction Politics but that's it. I'll have to look into more then. I can understand the second concern though.

Ashodin

I think it's awesome just that an MMO on CryEngine3 is even a thing that exists at all. But I certainly have doubts about that game's staying power, especially if it doesn't launch here until 2014 and comes with a subscription (does it have one in Korea?)
An MMO on the Planetside 2 engine is more impressive. SOE is going to really pump out the graphics, and that engine runs beautifully even on lower spec machines.

Jest, there was something else I read concerning being max level, and that there was something wrong with max level gear or something.

It does look like it will be sub based. So far in my initial searches for info I haven't found anything about problems with the gear but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Anywho.. I spent half my game playing time yesterday on my new Ele in WvW and I'm enjoying it. It's quite an adjustment from my Thief however and I definitely need to find a new hotkey setup so I can switch attunements faster on the fly (I use a Nostromo N52).

oktarb

Had a blast last night. Opened ten BL chests last night and got a Flame Skin which I used on my Longbow and an Endless Mystery Tonic which seems to favor chairs for some reason. The weekend before I got the Quaggan Backpack which I haven't used yet because I just can't put it on my Warrior, he's too manly.

Now you guys really need to help me finish my last story line mission.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You gotta use that Mystery Tonic to mess with people in WvW. :D Amazing luck man, congrats.

I'm gonna try to knock out my remaining story missions besides Arah on my thief tonight. More than anything I just want to finally clear up the upper right of my screen.

I made half the Gems I need for my mining pick in gold from 5 dungeons runs yesterday. Looking for more tonight!

Ashodin

You gotta use that Mystery Tonic to mess with people in WvW. :D Amazing luck man, congrats.

I'm gonna try to knock out my remaining story missions besides Arah on my thief tonight. More than anything I just want to finally clear up the upper right of my screen.

I made half the Gems I need for my mining pick in gold from 5 dungeons runs yesterday. Looking for more tonight!

Eventually, someday, Arah.

Complistic

mmm, bad news, it costs even more today. About 50s more per 100.

Super odd thing happened. I googled for some sbi Ori and Ancient node maps and found a link to a SBI forum. But when I go there it says Account Suspended. I never had an account on that forum before.

SirKhalid

Super odd thing happened. I googled for some sbi Ori and Ancient node maps and found a link to a SBI forum. But when I go there it says Account Suspended. I never had an account on that forum before.
It's not forum accounts that are suspended but it's them, maybe they didn't pay the bill or something.

jersoc

if you manage to find one that's actually updated, let us know. not even orr maps is right now.

mingus

Some of the nodes are correct and some aren't. I had heard Anet was implementing or had implemented a change so that nodes would change every 24 hours (not just every server maintenance) so perhaps that's the problem?

I really don't know how these maps are generated or how Anet handles nodes so /shrug.

The server map is horribly outdated, I don't even know how that one is generated. You have to go by the user generated maps under map lists. From my experience, southsun cove is the only one where the nodes change every day (other than the champ karka one).

Ashodin

Nah we should wait!

The "Tracking" only started when they started tracking for leaderboards (March 26th). So we should give people a little more time to get a bump.

I was joking. Our current method is a much better indicator AT THE MOMENT. Later, the achievement tracker will give us an idea, a very big idea.

hythloday

I just logged in
and this is crazy
I have no recent achievement points
so cull me maybe!

But seriously, nobody get too worried. We aren't THAT close to the 500 cap yet.

I logged on last night for the first time ever. I know nothing about Guild Wars as I never played the first one.

I have played many MMO's (WoW, EQ/EQII/FFXI/TSW etc etc. I started as a human warrior and have just completed first small instance in the city... or whatever it is?

I found it odd it immediately populated my quest screen with dailies at level 1......

I will say the reviews were right and this game definitely doesn't hold your hand as much through the first hour or so as other MMO's do.

I am rolling a human warrior. What do I need to know GAF?!?!?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Dang, a paid, unlimited use mining pick? I think we're on our way to a game-changing class switch pack, fellas.

Expect my return!

I logged on last night for the first time ever. I know nothing about Guild Wars as I never played the first one.

I have played many MMO's (WoW, EQ/EQII/FFXI/TSW etc etc. I started as a human warrior and have just completed first small instance in the city... or whatever it is?

I found it odd it immediately populated my quest screen with dailies at level 1......

I will say the reviews were right and this game definitely doesn't hold your hand as much through the first hour or so as other MMO's do.

I am rolling a human warrior. What do I need to know GAF?!?!?

Just explore the world and help the npcs you find along the way. Make sure to buy a mining pick, harvesting scythe, and an axe so you can collect materials from the nodes. You get xp from that and you can sell any mats you don't want/need for cash. Though you also get xp for crafting so even if youd don't typically craft in these games.. it's worth it here.

Instincts from other MMOs will tell you to go from heart npc to heart npc like quests. While you can do that..that's niether the most effecient way to play nor is it the most fun. what you really want to do is wander around the zones doing the events that pop up.

Even though you get xp from nearly anything you do.. the entire game (lvl 1 to lvl 80) is the experience.. so don't try to rush to level cap so you can "play the real game" as you'll actually be missing out on it.

Just explore the world and help the npcs you find along the way. Make sure to buy a mining pick, harvesting scythe, and an axe so you can collect materials from the nodes. You get xp from that and you can sell any mats you don't want/need for cash. Though you also get xp for crafting so even if youd don't typically craft in these games.. it's worth it here.

Instincts from other MMOs will tell you to go from heart npc to heart npc like quests. While you can do that..that's niether the most effecient way to play nor is it the most fun. what you really want to do is wander around the zones doing the events that pop up.

Even though you get xp from nearly anything you do.. the entire game (lvl 1 to lvl 80) is the experience.. so don't try to rush to level cap so you can "play the real game" as you'll actually be missing out on it.

This actually helps a lot man. I appreciate it. I certainly was trying to play it like the traditional MMO and found myself frustrated, and didn't know which way to go or what to do. I will begin wondering now.

hythloday

My advice for new players and those in the free trial:

Do what feels fun at that moment. The 'daily' tasks appear in your window, but you totally don't have to do them.

There are a lot of long 'advice for first timers' lists out there. Ignore them if you want and try it out by exploring without worrying about filling up hearts or whatever. Good times!

Complistic

Best advice is to just throw out everything you've ever learned from other MMO's and try everything. Other people are your friends not competition. In fact events become more fun and you get more loot if you're fighting alongside other people.

You think warrior is melee only? No. Give him a bow and a rifle and you've got a fully functional and pretty high dps range character. Or give that same character a banner and shouts and you've just created a support character. Tired of that? Retrait (for a tiny fee) give him a greatsword and dual axes and you've got a spinning melee death dealing machine.

Try everything. So many people really limit themselves because they're used to the limitations of other MMOs. This game isn't like those. You can fight mobs and never take damage if you learn their attacks and dodge/kite them. Mind blowing, I know.

Am I the only one who thinks the game is kind of slow at the beginning? Events never seem to start that often whenever I'm in a starting zone.

Am I the only one who thinks the game is kind of slow at the beginning? Events never seem to start that often whenever I'm in a starting zone.

My theory is that it's programmed to adjust the frequency either based on the concurrent number of people in the zone. So it will vary by time and by day (for example there's a lot more people in certain starter zones on days when that general area comes up on the daily).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom